The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

lynx

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby lynx » Mon May 28, 2012 1:03 pm UTC

Thanks US, always liked yours :)

F11
Spoiler:
Doctor. Let's see if I can survive the lynch this time by being a little less outspoken.

Elvish Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Postby Elvish Pillager » Mon May 28, 2012 3:03 pm UTC

t1mm01994 wrote:One ring
Spoiler:
I do not hold the ring, I think infina does. Let's see if he wants to take this discussion without counterclaiming, as I am town and just made myself an ideal person to pass the ring to.

Oh, and wam is scum.

The One Ring
Spoiler:
Yeah, I thought of that strategy, but it's a terrible strategy. Because if you can think of it, the scum can think of it too.

Imagine if it's an effective strategy, to the tune of "Falseclaim ring-bearer, then receive ring after D1". Scum could have done it first, which would result in the scum receiving the ring immediately. So if town does it, the real-ring bearer needs to worry that it's a scum gambit, and therefore probably shouldn't give you the ring.

True, the strategy carries some risk of being lynched, and town are much more disposable than scum, so scum would be less willing to play the strategy. But "The ring is safe for a night for town" is also much less valuable than "You win instantly as scum". And the scum might very well withhold their kill on N1 anyway, since it's their lowest chance to hit the ring-bearer when there are lots of players left.
Also known as Eli Dupree. Check out elidupree.com for my comics, games, and other work.

GENERATION A(g64, g64): Social experiment. Take the busy beaver function of the generation number and add it to your signature.

t1mm01994

Postby t1mm01994 » Mon May 28, 2012 3:18 pm UTC

Erm, E_P, can I open that?

Elvish Pillager

Postby Elvish Pillager » Mon May 28, 2012 3:20 pm UTC

Not until the end of the game. :P
Also known as Eli Dupree. Check out elidupree.com for my comics, games, and other work.

GENERATION A(g64, g64): Social experiment. Take the busy beaver function of the generation number and add it to your signature.

t1mm01994

Postby t1mm01994 » Mon May 28, 2012 5:06 pm UTC

Meh.

Avengers
Spoiler:
... Well played Adam.

wam

Postby wam » Mon May 28, 2012 5:24 pm UTC

F11

Spoiler:
For a second there a thought Snark had seen my mod notes! He is scarily close to being right!!
Come join us playing mafia signup here

wam

Postby wam » Mon May 28, 2012 6:24 pm UTC

avengers

Spoiler:
Don't you just love it when a town who is right gets bandwaggoned....

flarpfreak
Location: Next to a salty body of water, no, it's not the ocean

Postby flarpfreak » Mon May 28, 2012 10:40 pm UTC

Avengers
Spoiler:
Damn it Snark...you play a wonderfully wine filled game sir.
Wait, what?

matt96

Postby matt96 » Mon May 28, 2012 10:50 pm UTC

Avengers
Spoiler:
:D I think technically I won when flarpfreak claimed, but I wasn't going to chance it because it would have been because of my vote buy power (which is facilitated by Vieto) and there would have been enough time to get all of the votes I needed on to flarpfreak :evil: , but at least I am able to deflect a vote away from me, by making Snark vote for flarpfreak :twisted:

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue May 29, 2012 3:40 am UTC

Gargoyle
Spoiler:
BoomFrog wrote:As to role plausibility. Ehh, Angela was Demona's daughter and knew a little bit about magic so, ehh, kinda plausible.
Bolded the complete fabrication, but everyone is too lazy to check it anyway so I should be fine.

@Snark: Do not claim the justification now that I gave it for you, that won't help at this point and will strengthen our link.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Mostlynormal

Postby Mostlynormal » Tue May 29, 2012 3:58 am UTC

Gargoyles:
Spoiler:
Thank you Boomfrog! I was beginning to think either I was going crazy or all the active people got culted. But Boomfrog just told me in mason chat he think's Snark is scum, just mafia rather than cult. That makes me feel a bit better.

matt96

Postby matt96 » Tue May 29, 2012 9:33 am UTC

Mostlynormal wrote:Gargoyles:
Spoiler:
Thank you Boomfrog! I was beginning to think either I was going crazy or all the active people got culted. But Boomfrog just told me in mason chat he think's Snark is scum, just mafia rather than cult. That makes me feel a bit better.

Gargoyles (Mostlynormal CANNOT read):
Spoiler:
*facepalm*

Elvish Pillager

Postby Elvish Pillager » Tue May 29, 2012 2:20 pm UTC

The One Ring:
Spoiler:
roband wrote:A no lynch could have it's place. Like, if we get down to 4 players and 1 is scum. NL makes sense in that situation.

I hate it when people don't read the rules.

wam

Postby wam » Tue May 29, 2012 3:22 pm UTC

gargoyles

Spoiler:
Boomfrog is playing a great game. I also can't beleive they let my watching result drop after it was revealed I was town, sane and had seen boomfrog visit finglass when he specifically denied this.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Tue May 29, 2012 11:57 pm UTC

Keys to the kingdom
Spoiler:
Role PM wrote:Role: Piper
Alignment: Piper Cult
Species: Higher Denizen

You are The Piper, one of the three sons of the Architect. You have always resented the position of responsibility she gave your brother, and how he squandered it away by doing nothing but tend to his Gardens - and now the so-called Rightful Heir is just a child! But you have a plan - you have infiltrated this meeting of theirs, along with one of your Newniths, and if you can "convince" a few of the Children and Rats to come with you then you might be able to get the upper hand on both Arthur and the Morrow Days.

lynx is Ugham, a Newnith aligned with you. Once per night, you may PM the mods the name of one player to target, and if they are susceptible to your abilities they will join your faction. At night, you may PM individual or multiple members of your faction - remember to include the mods in any correspondence.

You win when all factions that oppose you are eliminated, or when their elimination is inevitable.

so, cultbuddy with lynx.

is that a good way to write it, or should it be more abbreviated? KTK or KTTK might work.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

[username]

Postby [username] » Wed May 30, 2012 12:22 am UTC

K2TK (that's Keys to the Kingdom, guys):
Spoiler:
Yeah I'm a Doctor. What of it.

I like KTTK. But I like the idea of stylising it (similarly to H2G2) as K2TK... Which also works as a straight acronym! K2K might also show up without any warning :P
Duck.

cjdrum's the ghost: [username] but a host!
For the secrets of my old avatar, click here!

greenlover

Postby greenlover » Wed May 30, 2012 12:28 am UTC

Basically, if it has a K at the beginning and a K at the end, don't read it if you're in Keys to the Kingdom mafia.

matt96

Postby matt96 » Wed May 30, 2012 12:33 am UTC

Keys to the Kingdom Mafia
K9348gbvjoerghu9375K :P
Spoiler:
I am apparently some sort of Lieutenant Keeper, which gives me a watcher/tracker like ability, where I chose a player and get one player who either they targeted or targeted them, based on the fact that this is not a full blown watcher or tracker role, and from my pm I can't tell whether they were the one targeted by my target or targeting my target, I am guessing that there are probably few scum, as my townie power is so weak.

[username]

Postby [username] » Wed May 30, 2012 1:18 am UTC

greenlover wrote:Basically, if it has a K at the beginning and a K at the end, don't read it if you're in Keys to the Kingdom mafia.
How about just "K"? Does that work for you?

[username] wrote:K2TK (that's Keys to the Kingdom, guys):
Spoiler:
Yeah I'm a Doctor. What of it.

K2TK:
Spoiler:
Wait a second. Role PM says "player will be protected from ill effects" - that may include roleblocks, right? How about vote removal? What if I targetted a Mafioso who was Copped?

AAARGH MY HEAD IS HURTING ALREADY AND THE GAME HASN'T EVEN STARTED
[username] may not read :P
Duck.

cjdrum's the ghost: [username] but a host!
For the secrets of my old avatar, click here!

greenlover

Postby greenlover » Wed May 30, 2012 1:23 am UTC

[username] wrote:How about just "K"? Does that work for you?

Well, that has a K at the beginning, and a K at the end, so sure. ;)

But really, I was just tossing out a general rule of thumb for folks.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed May 30, 2012 1:54 am UTC

K. K? K. (players must not read, also replacements, also anyone who wants to follow the game along with the players)
Spoiler:
So, we've got the four factions - Town, Scum, Cult, Indy.

Town has three power roles - Arthur (KrO2), who gets a different power each day, Dr Scamandaros ([username]), who protects against night kills, and the Cocigrue as well as de-cults, and the Lieutenant Keeper (matt96), a watcher/tracker. They also have 6 vanilla Piper's Children, but if Arthur is killed then some of them may have a chance of taking his ability.

Scum, working for Superior Saturday, have Pravuil (mpolo) who picks the kill target, appears Town to investigations and is currently tasked with picking who the Cocigrue copies, the Cocigrue (TheMaskedGecko) who will appear as someone else in investigations and who can force the vote of someone who targeted them, and three vanilla Sorcerors.

The Piper (eculc) is a cult recruiter, and Ugham (lynx) is currently aligned with him and will absorb a single NK against the Piper, but gets a survivor half-win if the Piper dies.

Finally, the four Indies are all Raised Rats, a mason group who also get an investigation each night, which will randomly tell them the player's character name, alignment, species or a very summarised role/ability.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

fshfood

Postby fshfood » Wed May 30, 2012 4:24 am UTC

matt96 wrote:
Mostlynormal wrote:Gargoyles:
Spoiler:

Gargoyles (Mostlynormal CANNOT read):
Spoiler:
*facepalm*

Gargoyles MN still CANNOT read:

Spoiler:
:lol:

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Wed May 30, 2012 11:56 am UTC

KduckK
Spoiler:
damnit, I want a N0.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

flarpfreak
Location: Next to a salty body of water, no, it's not the ocean

Postby flarpfreak » Wed May 30, 2012 2:40 pm UTC

Avengers
Spoiler:
So, I was right, but I got lynched...Well at least I feel a little better. STILL, Town, WHY YOU NO LYNCH MATT?!?!?!?! :P
Wait, what?

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Wed May 30, 2012 3:05 pm UTC

Avengers
Spoiler:
1) We only needed one townie to vote for non-matt. 2) I really would have done the same exact thing if Matt was town, so go easy on Snark. The wine is flowing and he just got a little tipsy. :wink:

But the game isn't over. Greenlover is immune to cults, right?
-Adam

Snark

Postby Snark » Wed May 30, 2012 3:18 pm UTC

K2K:
Spoiler:
ConMan wrote:You are Elibazeth Flat Gold, Master Foiler and Piper's Child. Though initially reluctant, you're here to help Arthur in his cause. Your name is not spelled incorrectly (or at least, it matches what was written on the label of your clothes after the last time you got washed between the ears).

You are aligned with town. You win when all anti-town factions are eliminated, or when their elimination is inevitable.

Wikipedia wrote:Elibazeth Flat Gold: The Master Foiler in the Foil Mill of the Guild of Gilding and Illumination on the Flat of the Middle House, second in charge of the Flat after Friday's Dawn. Like many Denizens, Elibazeth is very single-minded about her job and is reluctant to be interrupted by Arthur; but she does explain the layout of the Middle House and the Extremely Grand Canal, and shows Arthur a sample of the foil made by the Architect for Her Will – which is very important for Arthur later in the story.

Vanilla town. According to the wiki, I might be a possible back-up role. But I'm not going to count on it. That "when their elimination is inevitable" thing is quite odd.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

greenlover

Postby greenlover » Wed May 30, 2012 5:50 pm UTC

F11:
Spoiler:
The strategy AdamH just proposed is the equivalent of Gojoe's favorite falseclaim. I wonder if he realizes it or not...

wam

Postby wam » Wed May 30, 2012 5:56 pm UTC

The one ring

Spoiler:
Urgh I have probably been too defensive again, but oh well. If i do get lynched here it is a worrying trend of mine at the moment to get lynched Day 1. At least I can't get lynched day one in F11!

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Wed May 30, 2012 6:29 pm UTC

Gargoyles:
Spoiler:
I'm kinda intrigued that nobody has thought to ask Snark to at least claim his busdrive targets from last night, to see if that could have mucked with flarpfreak's claimed action...I mean, he'd lie, but people *know* there's at least one power in the game that could make a doc not stop their target from dying, right?

Also, I have great approval for BoomFrog's ability to lie out both sides of his face simultaneously - in thread:
BoomFrog wrote:Snark may be scum, I thought he was until USN said she thinks this is how he always is. I haven't played with him much so it's hard to say. However, if he is mafia or not is kinda moot at the moment and I'm pretty sure he's not cult.

As to role plausibility. Ehh, Angela was Demona's daughter and knew a little bit about magic so, ehh, kinda plausible.

And in mason chat at the same time:
BoomFrog wrote:I do think snark is mafia, but I'd rather not say it in thread because I'm hoping mafia will kill a cultist tomorrow.

As they say, the best lies have a grain of truth! This is the kind of thing I was hoping to see when I gave Xanatos a mason group.

It's going to be interesting to see how the rest of this plays out, especially if Snark does wind up going down today - tomorrow all but one person will be in the mason group (assuming BF doesn't kill a masongroup member during the night), and the day after it'll be down to the final three, assuming no successful doc. When nobody's flipped cult with that few left, I wonder if people will put two and two together about Xanatos, the Illuminati, and BF's mason group...

I'm glad the game seems to be closer than it was looking halfway through N2.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

matt96

Postby matt96 » Wed May 30, 2012 6:38 pm UTC

Avengers
Spoiler:
So, is the game over now, did I win? or do I get to whose someone else to get to win with me and the cultees?

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed May 30, 2012 11:04 pm UTC

Gargoyles:
Spoiler:
DaBigCheez wrote:As they say, the best lies have a grain of truth! This is the kind of thing I was hoping to see when I gave Xanatos a mason group.

So in other words, BF is currently playing a perfect Xanatos Gambit? :twisted:
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu May 31, 2012 12:04 pm UTC

One Ring
Spoiler:
Dude, the game's gonna be over in the first round based on random guessing. I'm really bad at this.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

New User

Postby New User » Thu May 31, 2012 8:51 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:One Ring
Spoiler:
Dude, the game's gonna be over in the first round based on random guessing. I'm really bad at this.

The One Ring (this doesn't mean you can read this before you are out of the game)
Spoiler:
It wasn't a random guess by me, I had it narrowed down to you or careyhammer for general lurkiness behavior, which is to say that neither of you made any suggestions for strategy at all other than to agree with what others have said. I didn't agree with infina's strategy, or with wam's, but at least they contributed something.

KrO2

Postby KrO2 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:39 am UTC

I couldn't help but notice that I've been using way more I-am-not-sure disclaimers than other people seem to. Maybe I'll start, at the end of each Day, posting in a spoiler how likely I think it is that the lynchee was scum. Like, a specific numerical probability so people can laugh if I'm frequently wrong. After a statistically significant number of games, I'd get a reliable idea of how good/bad my scumdar is, which I don't currently have. Why don't more people do this?

F11
Spoiler:
Of course, this wouldn't work in this game, because I already know who the scum are. I'm scum. Have I not mentioned that?

lynx

Postby lynx » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:50 am UTC

I'll play that with you, KrO2. We can tell who has the better natural scumdar!
Maybe spoilers of this sort should be differentiated from the rest, for example call the first lynch in this game 'F11 D1', for easy reference?

Mostlynormal

Postby Mostlynormal » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:01 am UTC

That's a good idea. I wonder why no one's thought of it before.

My try:
Gargoyles:
Spoiler:
Snark: 99.5%
flarpfreak: e^i(pi/2) point :? percent

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:11 am UTC

Huh, people could use it as a scumtell against people that don't do it.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Mostlynormal

Postby Mostlynormal » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:18 am UTC

I don't see how--this is supposed to be over multiple games, so those who want to do it would always do it and those who don't wouldn't. Scum would just post spoilers with nothing in them in order to look normal.

F11:
Spoiler:
And ironically, that's how the first spoiler of this whole thing was! :D

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:18 am UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:Huh, people could use it as a scumtell against people that don't do it.

Not an effective one. I doubt everybody will do it, and it would be easy enough for scum to put unrelated spoilers under the proper heading.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:35 am UTC

I think doing it is fine, but don't give it a special heading, we don't want to have any kind of extra burden on scum to appear townie in the discussion thread. Just the name of the relevant game, all other info goes inside the spoiler. You could give a subheading inside the spoiler so people can still use the forum search function to find it if that's your goal.

Gargoyles
Spoiler:
80% sure Flarp is cult, I'd say 50% sure she is the recruiter.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Return to “Mafia”