The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Adam H

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Adam H » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:08 am UTC

F11
Spoiler:
25% sure that each player is scum (cept me). :?
-Adam

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:16 am UTC

Gargoyles
Spoiler:
P.S. I also finally stopped having little anxiety attacks every time I think about this game. I only get them when I am scum though, playing town is easy.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

fshfood

Postby fshfood » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:18 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:Gargoyles
Spoiler:
P.S. I also finally stopped having little anxiety attacks every time I think about this game. I only get them when I am scum though, playing town is easy.

Gargoyles BF may read

Spoiler:
was that why I was having them in Shadowrun, lol?

lynx

Postby lynx » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:20 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:You could give a subheading inside the spoiler so people can still use the forum search function to find it if that's your goal.

Good idea, that's what I'll do then.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:28 pm UTC

Gargoyles
Spoiler:
If flarpfreak was scum, I'll probably be lynched tomorrow. If not, I'm in the clear. But I'll understand if I get lynched. I'm surprised I lasted this long. I honestly look like the best option. I wonder how that happened. I think it's possible she was just a doctor and _______ is scum. I honestly have no idea. If there's no Illuminati, I'm going back to Boomfrog. I don't care how much evidence there is disproving him. That 's exactly what I would expect from a godfather.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:41 pm UTC

K2K
Spoiler:
Damnit carey, what's taking you so long to respond?
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

fshfood

Postby fshfood » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:53 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:Gargoyles
Spoiler:
If flarpfreak was scum, I'll probably be lynched tomorrow. If not, I'm in the clear. But I'll understand if I get lynched. I'm surprised I lasted this long. I honestly look like the best option. I wonder how that happened. I think it's possible she was just a doctor and _______ is scum. I honestly have no idea. If there's no Illuminati, I'm going back to Boomfrog. I don't care how much evidence there is disproving him. That 's exactly what I would expect from a godfather.

Gargoyles US may read

Spoiler:
flarpfreak is a guy. :wink:

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:34 pm UTC

fshfood wrote:
UniqueScreenname wrote:Gargoyles
Spoiler:

Gargoyles US may read

Spoiler:
flarpfreak is a guy. :wink:

Spoiler:
Oh. Hmm. Ok. I think I decided that all usernames that start with F are girls.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:54 pm UTC

Gargoyles:
Spoiler:
Town now has no more room for mislynches - they have to pull off a Flawless Victory(tm) to win. Snark's probably forfeit regardless of what they're discussing in scumchat to try and make him look better - it's just going to be a question of whether the two remaining townies can put it together on N6, from such things as, say, wam's confirmed-sane watcher result confirmed by mpolo's tracker result on N1 that still hasn't been explained except by the "hologram" theory that never seems to have come up again.

Pity about the long Day, but I need to let Finglass get back - starting the Night early would either confirm she's town, cut off her daychat if she wasn't, deprive her of the chance to use her action, or confirm that she had no action, and an abnormally-long action phase is better in my mind than any of those possibilities. I'm assuming something IRL came up for T1mm that stopped him from replacing in.

Especially given US's statements in a previous spoiler, I'm curious whether BoomFrog will get all eyes on him when N6 rolls around and *still* nobody has flipped cult...MN had it right in mason chat, so I'm wondering whether BF's twigging to the possibility that *he* is the Illuminati as well, or not.

He is somewhat right in thread, though - while I haven't actually said any falsehoods in Matt's role, it might be classifiable more as "slight to moderate" bastardry than "none to slight". I came up with the idea of Xanatos as a mason (and correspondingly, Matt's role) after I'd already posted the signup thread; if I'd done it earlier, it would have been more of a debate. Still, it's not like I'm changing rules mid-game or directly lying to the players - everything's internally consistent to the best of my knowledge, and those are more what I count as actual bastardry.

I am somewhat glad that accidentally confirming flarpfreak's mason claim through a modding fuckup hasn't lead to him being 100% confirmed town for the rest of the game, though.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:56 pm UTC

Gargoyles
Spoiler:
I investigated mpolo. Why? I haven't a clue. Maybe Snark will redirect me and something interesting will happen.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:34 pm UTC

Zombies
Spoiler:
I'm trying to figure out whether me coming out as the town vig would be detrimental to me or not. I want to steer the town in the right direction and not have them think that mafia is causing these NKs, but I know it will put a huge target on my back. Decisions, decisions.

flarpfreak
Location: Next to a salty body of water, no, it's not the ocean

Postby flarpfreak » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:58 pm UTC

gargoyles
Spoiler:
Did I mention that I hate getting lynched even after a near positive role claim?
Wait, what?

KrO2

Postby KrO2 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:30 pm UTC

Zombies
Spoiler:
I'm thinking that 1) Zombie Snark had the same role PM as I did, 2) that means he preferred a mafia win to a town win, 3) he was trying to get roband lynched, 4) therefore he did not think roband was scum, and 5) in this case I trust Snark's scumdar over my own. So I'm going to continue being anti-roband and hope he's innocent. Fortunately no non-zombies know that zombies prefer mafia winning to town winning, so they won't be able to take this as clearing roband.

Also, winning this is going to be hard. Zombies have no special powers, so presumably we're supposed to eventually take control of the lynch in order to win. It'll be hard because I'm the only zombie and I don't know how more of them get recruited.

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:36 pm UTC

KrO2 wrote:Zombies
Spoiler:
I'm thinking that 1) Zombie Snark had the same role PM as I did, 2) that means he preferred a mafia win to a town win, 3) he was trying to get roband lynched, 4) therefore he did not think roband was scum, and 5) in this case I trust Snark's scumdar over my own. So I'm going to continue being anti-roband and hope he's innocent. Fortunately no non-zombies know that zombies prefer mafia winning to town winning, so they won't be able to take this as clearing roband.

Also, winning this is going to be hard. Zombies have no special powers, so presumably we're supposed to eventually take control of the lynch in order to win. It'll be hard because I'm the only zombie and I don't know how more of them get recruited.

Zombies (KrO2 may read):
Spoiler:
how is zombby formed?
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

Snark

Postby Snark » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:21 pm UTC

@DaBigCheez (no one in game may read)

Zombies:
Spoiler:
Both the doctors are insane (though JSO is now dead). Adam said so in a spoiler awhile back. Getting doctored makes one infected (but not yet a true zombie) and getting doctored+doctored or doctored+NK'd turns one into a zombie.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:22 pm UTC

@Snark (no one in game may read)

Zombies:
Spoiler:
I'm aware, I was just referencing a meme. :)

Snark

Postby Snark » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:28 pm UTC

DaBigCheez wrote:@Snark (no one in game may read)

Zombies:
Spoiler:
I'm aware, I was just referencing a meme. :)

Zombies:
Spoiler:
I was just being ignorant. Also, this totally doesn't need to be in a spoiler. :D
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:56 pm UTC

Zombies
Spoiler:
Well, I did it. Let's hope for a non-immediate hammer. I really am also hoping this will snuff out mafia, those that will refuse to believe me beyond all reason or quickly try to buddy up if it's obvious I'm going to be lynched.

fshfood

Postby fshfood » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:17 am UTC

Zombies

Spoiler:
UniqueScreenname wrote:I would also like to request being protected, as if I get infected, I won't be town anymore and I won't be able to kill zombies.

Oh the irony of the above request, lol!

lynx

Postby lynx » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:00 pm UTC

K2K
Spoiler:
Please don't lynch eculc, please don't lynch eculc, please don't lynch eculc!
He's cult recruiter and I'm his bodyguard. Problem is I can only save him from night kills :(

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:35 pm UTC

K2K
Spoiler:
Well, shit. less than 12 hours into D1 and I've already got 2 votes on me. I'm very suspicious of JSO, but there's not much justification to vote for him yet. I suppose I'll wait until NU and adam respond to my post before doing anything else.

also, I'm pretty sure lynx's latest spoiler is something about me (as his cultbuddy) getting voted for already. :lol:
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

matt96

Postby matt96 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:25 pm UTC

KK
Spoiler:
Apparently the Lieutenant Keeper is not that un-important of a character, but I am afraid that Saturday's dusk (or noon as it may be) might be a lyncher for me, with the flavor justification of having killed me in the story.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:50 pm UTC

K2K
Spoiler:
*sigh of relief* Lynx, your post about there being a cult may have saved me. I'm glad that happened, even if I didn't notice at first.

lynx

Postby lynx » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:33 am UTC

Hi all, I was considering modding an open game with:

2 mafia
2 mimes (factional RB, both have to die by lynching for win)
1 vig
1 watcher
6 VTs
total 12 players.

If anyone would like to co-mod with me, I'd appreciate a bit of experience just in case.
I was considering putting it into Turbo, as I don't think it could count as vanilla and medium is a long wait.
Any advice, suggestions, concerns, confessions of undying love, etc?

New User

Postby New User » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:38 am UTC

If both mimes have to die by being lynched in order to win, what happens to the survivor if one of them is night killed?

lynx

Postby lynx » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:45 am UTC

Good question, I'm thinking he/she just becomes a jester for the half-win.

t1mm01994

Postby t1mm01994 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:04 pm UTC

One Ring
Spoiler:
infina, I love you. I could at any time blurt out the name of me (confirmed town) and infina for a confirmed 2 town.

lynx

Postby lynx » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:19 pm UTC

New User wrote:If both mimes have to die by being lynched in order to win, what happens to the survivor if one of them is night killed?
lynx wrote:Good question, I'm thinking he/she just becomes a jester for the half-win.

Just got back to thinking about this. Ideally they'd both lose but that seems a bit unfair if one played badly for the other to automatically lose. Maybe throw a spanner in the works and make the last mime a survivor? Could incite a couple of mime claims as soon as one is NKed which would be pretty funny. I don't know, any suggestions?

Snark

Postby Snark » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:41 pm UTC

lynx wrote:
New User wrote:If both mimes have to die by being lynched in order to win, what happens to the survivor if one of them is night killed?
lynx wrote:Good question, I'm thinking he/she just becomes a jester for the half-win.

Just got back to thinking about this. Ideally they'd both lose but that seems a bit unfair if one played badly for the other to automatically lose. Maybe throw a spanner in the works and make the last mime a survivor? Could incite a couple of mime claims as soon as one is NKed which would be pretty funny. I don't know, any suggestions?

Switching someone's win condition from jester to survivor mid-game? Hilarious. I love it.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:55 pm UTC

Snark wrote:
lynx wrote:

Switching someone's win condition from jester to survivor mid-game? Hilarious. I love it.

My Druids faction in Werewolf was based off of an attempt to modify the Mime setup in order to get rid of the night kill issue: by allowing them to win by both being nk'd instead of both being lynched, you avoid any accidental survivor/jester issues. I'll leave it up to debate whether people felt it worked well or not.
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

KrO2

Postby KrO2 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:43 am UTC

Zombies
Spoiler:
New hypothesis: The mafia are dead. That might explain why US suddenly became a compulsive vig. I can't be the only one who thought of that, but I'm not going to be the first to post it. If I can stretch a bit, maybe US knows that's why she's compulsive. That would explain why she received the message "after D2" instead of "N2." I hope this is completely wrong, because it involves the mafia being dead and I could really use a town-unfriendly kill about now.

Or maybe Chickenfish is secretly sane and both roband and Tim are actually mafia. Well, I can wish.
While I'm posting spoilers, K2K:
Spoiler:
I'm Arthur. Each Day I get a different Key-based power. Today I'm a doctor.
Party Mafia:
Spoiler:
Vanilla town.

lynx

Postby lynx » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:06 am UTC

Misnomer wrote:
Snark wrote:
lynx wrote:

My Druids faction in Werewolf was based off of an attempt to modify the Mime setup in order to get rid of the night kill issue: by allowing them to win by both being nk'd instead of both being lynched, you avoid any accidental survivor/jester issues. I'll leave it up to debate whether people felt it worked well or not.

I read your modnotes for that game actually, and the Druids were quite a nifty idea. However, I'm drawn to unusual game mechanics and would like to experiment with different set-ups whenever possible to see what works and what is fun. It would be fun for me to see what a mime does when their win condition changes so radically. It might not be too hard if they haven't left too many inconsistencies, I'll leave them with the roleblock though to preserve game balance.

Does anyone have any more issues with the game? I wouldn't mind chucking it into sign-ups now for whenever Gargoyles finishes, I'll write up a little flavour and maybe the role PMs in preparation but with a simple, open setup there's not too much to prepare from what I can see.

The offer still stands for a co-mod but should nobody volunteer I'm happy to run the game on my own. I've read through plenty of games, michaelandjimi's thread and spent several hours reading through theory and things on mafiascum.net so I'm pretty confident I know what I'm doing.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:54 am UTC

Keys to the Kingdom:
Spoiler:
It's Day 1 and I don't know what to say, don't know to accuse, flavorblind, townie, and first and foremost It feels tiring to read everything or to do anything (two pages is a bit few but it's all too confusing).

And here I thought I learned that as a mod the players were just daring intellectuals rationalizing their decisions when all they do is just go by when their guts feel like it until they hit gold. I hope I'll have a bit of motivation soon.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:39 pm UTC

K2K

Spoiler:
I think I dodged a bullet there somehow. If I can keep my head down, I think I'll be good until tomorrow.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:45 pm UTC

F11
Spoiler:
Hehe, this will be an interesting day tomorrow if carey was scum. I should have kept the vote on.

Carey, you really should just make stuff up D1. [Random player] is scum because [random reason]. It's what everyone else does. :lol:
-Adam

KrO2

Postby KrO2 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:49 pm UTC

New round of spoilers.

Fll
Spoiler:
Well, I'm still alive. I'm glad careyhammer, my hypothesized scummate, got lynched with me defending him; that's got to make me look somewhat townie. Even better, JSO managed to have his vote on me. So our position might not suck at the beginning of D2. I'll let everyone in the game assume this spoiler contains a scumminess probability estimate for careyhammer.
Zombies
Spoiler:
Did Vieto ever claim? I hope me not wanting to explain my role isn't seen as a sign of scum, since it is a sign of scum. Maybe I should have just fully claimed Vieto's pre-zombie role.

I've been wondering about win conditions. Mine is to survive to the end and kill those living people, and if I can't win I prefer for mafia to win. But it's looking like mafia create zombies, so they must not know that. Maybe they were told that zombies' goal is to kill all non-mafia humans and they aren't expecting their creations to turn on them. If we'll have the numbers to do any successful turning.
K2K
Spoiler:
I wish I could tell the flavor people that I think we aren't actually at the sixth book. For today, anyway, I think we're just after the first, since I (Arthur) was given the First Key and will get more later. I don't know what the people who know the series could do with that, but if it's useful it's wasted on me.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:59 pm UTC

Zombies:
Spoiler:
It's just KrO2 zombie left, so that's gotta be game. Hopefully it won't drag on... :|

I screwed up by making zombies survivors. I should have made it so that if zombies win, dead zombies win as well. Snark's gambit kind of killed the game (through no fault of his own - it was my fault for giving him that goal). I do like the idea of keeping zombies unknowledgeable of each other, though. The hope was that by the end of the game, zombies would outnumber town and the strategy would reverse to everyone trying to claim zombie and lynch townies, which would have been fun. Maybe I should have let zombified recruiters keep their ability, or forbid them from targetting the same player more than once.
-Adam

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:53 pm UTC

Keys to the Kingdom Mafia
Spoiler:
Keyblades to the Kingdom.png
Hates Mondays.

Recommends clicking it for a larger version. Considered a crafting interface too. Upgrade your Key to the City to a Key to the Kingdom.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Snark

Postby Snark » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:37 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:Zombies:
Spoiler:
It's just KrO2 zombie left, so that's gotta be game. Hopefully it won't drag on... :|

I screwed up by making zombies survivors. I should have made it so that if zombies win, dead zombies win as well. Snark's gambit kind of killed the game (through no fault of his own - it was my fault for giving him that goal). I do like the idea of keeping zombies unknowledgeable of each other, though. The hope was that by the end of the game, zombies would outnumber town and the strategy would reverse to everyone trying to claim zombie and lynch townies, which would have been fun. Maybe I should have let zombified recruiters keep their ability, or forbid them from targetting the same player more than once.

Spoiler:
Sorry for killing the game. :( But yeah, although I liked being zombified, I did think that the win condition was difficult, but I likely would have done the same thing regardless of a twerk in the win condition.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:45 pm UTC

K2K
Spoiler:
so, what? is tim a double voter?

Return to “Mafia”