The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:32 pm UTC

To all members and mods of all of my games, I will not be around tomorrow. I will be on a roller coaster.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:55 pm UTC

Lies. You will be modkilled in all the games I am running right now.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:06 pm UTC

Fallout II

Spoiler:
Fallout harder.
yes, I had to.

role PM:
BoomFrog wrote:What's yours is mine, and what's mine is mine.

Thief – You can pick someone’s pocket as your night action. Name two items value 4 or less. If they have either of the items then you take it. Alternately, you can reverse pickpocket a grenade into their pants. Grenades used in this way ignore armor. These are both considered a (close) action.

You are Mafia along with Matt96 and The Masked Gecko. You may chat by PM during the DAY only.

Items:
4xLeather, 1xRation, 1xIrradiated Ration, 2xGunpowder, 2xFuel
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

fshfood

Postby fshfood » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:07 am UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:To all members and mods of all of my games, I will not be around tomorrow. I will be on a roller coaster.

Very Envious!

flarpfreak
Location: Next to a salty body of water, no, it's not the ocean

Postby flarpfreak » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:01 am UTC

Fallout 2
Spoiler:
A brilliant move from CF on the first post, make it seem like the Mafia has a NK alongside their other actions. This should keep her SKness(yes it's a word) under wraps for longer. I am very happy about how this is going so far.
Wait, what?

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:15 am UTC

fallout:

Spoiler:
What the I don't even know...

So, I got actions revolving around having a weapon, however, I lack the materials to make any kind of weapon, kinda confused on how that'll be useful long term. I can also take items apart, sounds neat, and I wonder how rare it is as an ability. I suppose if I actually loot anything, it may be helpful. Most importantly, I can track, which doesn't say it's a close action, so I'll assume it's not. It may be helpful, it'll depend on how this game plays out.

I get this deep dread in the pit of my stomach, and flashbacks to Paranoia from reading the thread thus far. I'm not sure what I got myself into here...

Edit: Oh, I'm completely and totally flavor blind.
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."

wam

Postby wam » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:11 am UTC

misnomers game

Spoiler:
So I nearly broke the game! I am playing in so many games i have had to setup google docs for each game with notes in and i very nearly posted the whole of my notes for this game, which include the list of scum players as im scum. I also have a very interesting power, if i carry out the kill on a town or indie player my kill is unblockable, however if i target a different anti town faction i die.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

wam

Postby wam » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:42 am UTC

Argh Im playing in so many games!!!

F11 @ New User
Spoiler:
I feel bad that you accidentally read a spoiler for so many games! Also I think you were playing F11 quite well, and were confirmed town in lynxs mind as he doctored you N1.

Misnomers game and Sailor moon do not read if you are in either

Spoiler:
I think theres some tactics and thinking leaking across between games. I reckon adam is falseclaiming survivor as a similar tactic to KrO2 in misnomers game, as me and adam are the only ones in misnomers game that know KrO2s claim was false in misnomers. Or he is actually the survivor and Im much more suspicous as I know KrO2s was false.

Also be very careful if quoting.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

lynx

Postby lynx » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:48 am UTC

Party
Spoiler:
Hope Snark is scum. If so then even if I go down here (I'm VT, doesn't matter), Snark will have a hard time justifying being the first one to consider me scum in this whole game!

Sailor Moon
Spoiler:
Seriously, Matt? Of all things to vote the queenmaker for in this game, you're going with semantics? But I'm starting to think maybe Adam should be lynched. His lynch won't hurt town too much, and could get rid of a gambiting scum. And he likes to gambit from what I've seen.

Misnomer's
Spoiler:
Still no major leads. This game is so devoid of easy lynches!

F11
Spoiler:
I reckon the two not voting can be convinced to vote US. Hope I'm right on her, my spidey senses do tingle very often when she posts in this round!

cjquines

Postby cjquines » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:59 am UTC

K2K

Spoiler:
I think I'm doing a great job acting as a jester, don't you think NU? P.S. to NU, I feel so sorry for accidentally reading the spoilers.
P.P.S. I'm scum.

New User

Postby New User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:59 pm UTC

Keys to the Kingdom
Spoiler:
I think it's hilarious that I was right when eculc got his numbers wrong. I don't mean that disrespectfully, eculc. I came very close to making a similar mistake when I was on the spy team in Resistance 5. I had typed up a post in displaying my numbers, but when I read over the post before clicking submit, I realized I hadn't counted myself in the numbers. That mistake might have given me away as a spy. Still, when I initially voted for eculc in K2K, I thought it he was probably town and had just made a mistake in addition.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:18 pm UTC

New User wrote:Keys to the Kingdom
Spoiler:
I think it's hilarious that I was right when eculc got his numbers wrong. I don't mean that disrespectfully, eculc. I came very close to making a similar mistake when I was on the spy team in Resistance 5. I had typed up a post in displaying my numbers, but when I read over the post before clicking submit, I realized I hadn't counted myself in the numbers. That mistake might have given me away as a spy. Still, when I initially voted for eculc in K2K, I thought it he was probably town and had just made a mistake in addition.

K2K
Spoiler:
yeah, I know what you mean. I actually thought CJ had counted to 21, so I reduced the count by one. I don't even know where the whole argument about that came from, but it's too late for that now.
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:22 pm UTC

Fallout
Spoiler:
Hurray! Now I can look in the thread, but... I still can't post reply. Lol. Damn work censor. It's just weapons!

I considered asking for a replacement, but I'll still be able to post a couple times a day and I don't want to miss out on this crafting/trading mechanic again.

Actual spoils: I'm town, with 4 chemicals, 3 fuel, 2 irradiated rations, and 1 scrap. I think my strategy might be to try and get NKed, taking drugs to keep me alive and make it so that when I finally die, scum gets nothing valuable.
-Adam

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:00 pm UTC

fallout:

Spoiler:
And....

I just dropped the bomb.

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:11 pm UTC

Fallout:
Spoiler:
Gah, this is going to be tricky...I'm a friendly neighborhood Super Mutant, with a Stealthboy addiction and a big appetite. I get massive health, built-in armor, melee damage bonus and radiation immunity, but have to eat 2 rations a night, can't wear real armor, and have to use a Stealthboy each night or I act randomly. The thing is, I'm not just town, but a mistrusted townie/townie survivor - town has to win *and* I have to survive for me to get a win.

I'm trying to figure out how to do this, and getting frustrated. I should be able to chow down on irradiated rations everyone else is afraid of just fine - but how do I trade for them without claiming Ghoul or Supermutant, especially when Ghouls have been proposed as a cult? Who would honestly believe Supermutant is a town role, and would the mafia just want to kill me off? Claiming Ghoul would just be downright unhelpful - I'd have to make the argument that "oh dude ghouls are totally legit", which would either get me counterclaimed or being helping scum (depending on what Ghouls actually are). I'm a powerhouse at night, but a lynch will put me down just as well as anyone else...

I'm also wondering how to deal with my Stealthboy addiction. I can either try to craft a big ol' weapon and use the double-stacked damage bonuses to pound people to a pulp during the night (and take their food!), or deliberately avoid crafting any weapons at all so I just falconpunch people instead (1 damage, not big deal) if I run out of Stealthboys.

The really funny thing is that I start out with a crapton of leather - but it's not useful to me, since I can't wear armor anyway. And who the hell is honestly going to read "so yeah, I'm trading like 4 leather for irradiated rations and fusion cells, hit me up!" as anything other than scum?

Also, best guess is that Lataro is lying through his teeth and just trying to get people to give him free stuff. Either way is amusing.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:10 pm UTC

Sailor Moon Queenmaker:
Spoiler:
Safe claims really just happened by chance. 3 was the number I cut from the game to make it a small under the new rules (It was a small at 10 players when it was first made.) Chiba Mamoru, Mizuno Ami, and Hino Rei were the ones cut.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

New User

Postby New User » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:27 am UTC

Fallout 2
Spoiler:
Hunter – If you have a gun or throwing spear you can use it at night to kill a wild animal. You gain 2xirradiated rations and 2xleather but must spend ammo if appropriate. (A throwing spear would not be used up).
Tracker – You may spend your night action tracking someone. You find out who they targeted that night with any close actions.
Chemist – You know how to mix drugs efficiently and get 2 drugs for the price of one when crafting.

You are town.

Items:
3xScrap, 2xLeather, 3xRation
This is my role. I can't think of any strategy to use in this game. I am at a total loss. If I craft a throwing spear and use it to farm leather and irradiated rations, I'll at least be able to make leather armor on day two and possibly be able to keep myself alive for a while with the rations. I might even accumulate enough rations and leather to be able to trade them, but I don't know if I'll even live long enough to do that. The only other game I recall playing with 12 players was Shadowrun, and I died on night two, and the game didn't last past night three. If I'm going to follow that plan, the sooner I start accumulating materials, the better. But if I'm going to use my tracking power, it's best to use it on night one since the players are less likely to accumulate materials to make ranged weapons, and the mafia will be using knives and swords, probably (close actions). I didn't start with any materials to make drugs, and unless I accumulate leather to trade, I won't get any either. I just can't decide what I should do. I guess I'll track on night one, and then start hunting after that.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:52 am UTC

Fallout 2
Spoiler:
New User wrote:Okay so eculc has more than one ration, and so do I. If matt96 has zero rations, that makes me think that he started this game with a pretty severe handicap. He must have some kind of strength to offset it. Maybe he has more than three HP. If so, maybe he is a super mutant. It is my experience with the fallout games that super mutants are, with very few exceptions, bad. Maybe his power to offset this handicap is his ability to know who is on his team, and to chat at night.
Ahaha, poor DBC. Actually the funniest thing here would be for DBC to back him up and be like, "nope, I also don't have any rations to start so I don't think he's necessarily a super mutant." Although if I was DBC I'd think New user might be a mutant-lyncher from how aggressive and specific that was.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:39 am UTC

F11
Spoiler:
nooo ahammel, I'm not scum :wink: I'm just misunderstood.

New User

Postby New User » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:46 am UTC

Fallout 2
Spoiler:
I've roleclaimed that I'm a chemist and have a %50 chance to double-craft drugs. I actually have a %100 chance to double-craft drugs. I'm hoping someone will give me the materials, and then I can give them back two drugs instead of one, and that way I'll be confirmed town to them. I hope this works.

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:28 am UTC

fallout:

Spoiler:
Time to "play the AH"

I've got a fair number of regular rations, and can easily replenish irradiated ones. I'd be willing to consider alternate trades involving regular rations, but the price would not be cheap...

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:29 am UTC

Keys to the Kingdom Mafia
Spoiler:
Idiot idiot idiot idiot idiot idiot idiot idiot idiot idiot idiot idiot. Spent half of Day Two remembering how to be helpful. Gave up earlier. Asked the major questions already.

Took a lot of time to write, also.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:09 am UTC

Fallout II
Spoiler:
Lataro wrote:I'm not interested in fair trades
Lataro, I love you. Why didn't you play Fallout 1 mafia?
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

lynx

Postby lynx » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:21 am UTC

F11
Spoiler:
Nowhere near 100% on this one but I'm going to say yes. She said a couple things that made me really doubt my decisions. US, If you're town I'm sorry for sort of getting you lynched (manipulating Alek a little) and if you're scum well done because I nearly posted defending you a couple of times. But we had to remain strong, if she turns up town I might have a close look at the others voting for her. Strange how ahammel changed NU's vote to eculc, I guess there is a chance he could be scum. I missed my chance to get that last question to him out but if there's another day of this (meaning US was town) I might ask him again anyway.

roband

Postby roband » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:09 pm UTC

Please be careful distinguishing between Fallout II (potentially, FII) and F11. Please :)

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:47 pm UTC

F11 (that's EFF ELEVEN):
Spoiler:
Damn, guess USN wasn't scum. Sorry USN!!!! You really just have Snark to blame for his faulty scumdar. :P Scum either is playing a good game or is hiding behind his obvi-scum-newbness (alek). Unfortunately I have no idea which it is!! I guess I'm going with alek if nothing changes.

HOPEFULLY doctor won't be killed, and hopefully there's a cop, and hopefully this game will be safely in the bag early tomorrow. Hopefully.
-Adam

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:28 pm UTC

F11
Spoiler:
I don't know why no one ever listens to me, but wow was I wrong about lynx. JSO/eculc are playing really well and maybe ahammel will be able to convince people he's right tomorrow. I suggest a "Look, USN was being really scummy. Who really trusted her? eculc! He must have known she was town." And the wine will flow, but there's always hope.

Also, I agree with Adam. SNARK, IT IS YOUR FAULT. EVERYTHING BAD THAT HAPPENS TO ME IN MAFIA IS YOUR FAULT!!!!!

Rivalries
Adam H/T1mm
cjquines/JSO
US/Snark
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

New User

Postby New User » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:31 pm UTC

Fallout 2
Spoiler:
Well my plan looks to be backfiring. I was afraid this might happen. Someone else apparently has the same chemist power I have, and has counter-claimed me. I don't expect to live long in this game.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:32 pm UTC

F11
Spoiler:
sorry US, but I had to. I'm actually a bit surprised that worked as well as I thought it would.

in other news, I'm not sure if I should kill Ahammel or Lynx tonight. I think I can deal with alek, and it's really a toss-up between those two.

Deva

Postby Deva » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:10 pm UTC

Keys to the Kingdom
Spoiler:
Finished it.
Spidey Styx.png

Alternate texts:
- Returned the favor to Deadpool by working in a dead river.
- Never let Spiderman housesit at the Bat Cave.
- Does whatever a spider can to get by.

Almost forgot the book. Protects him against the Styx.

Enjoyed drawing a character without hair or expressions. Included stupid levels of scenery detail instead (minus torch reflections on the water). Added craggily lines to most of the cave.

Can anyone guess the game reference? (Replace Spiderman with someone else.)

Snark

Postby Snark » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:18 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:F11
Spoiler:
I don't know why no one ever listens to me, but wow was I wrong about lynx. JSO/eculc are playing really well and maybe ahammel will be able to convince people he's right tomorrow. I suggest a "Look, USN was being really scummy. Who really trusted her? eculc! He must have known she was town." And the wine will flow, but there's always hope.

Also, I agree with Adam. SNARK, IT IS YOUR FAULT. EVERYTHING BAD THAT HAPPENS TO ME IN MAFIA IS YOUR FAULT!!!!!

Rivalries
Adam H/T1mm
cjquines/JSO
US/Snark

F11:
Spoiler:
Sorry. That game illustrated a very misguided me.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:16 am UTC

I need a replacement for Fallout Mafia (maybe two...)

PM me if interested.

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:52 am UTC

fallout:

Spoiler:
Can't say I care all that much, as I have other things on my plate at this time, and getting lynched in a game isn't a big concern. That said, can it at least for once be for legitimate reasons if it happens?

Snark

Postby Snark » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:45 pm UTC

Fallout 2:
Spoiler:
Lataro rocks.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Deva

Postby Deva » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:09 pm UTC

Keys to the Kingdom Mafia
Spoiler:
Theory time. Posted the roleblocker strategy as a breadloafcrumb. Made no difference if everyone hated it. Genius, but dangerous. Alerts anti-Town to his action (with a kill-stopping roleblock). Generates discussion too.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:32 pm UTC

K2K
Spoiler:
How much you wanna bet that either Deva or me gets NK'd since we're on everybody's town list? At first I was excited that I was doing such a good job that everyone believed me for once. Now I'm a little sad at my impending doom. Oh well.

Snark

Postby Snark » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:25 pm UTC

Party:
Spoiler:
eculc flips scum. I get NK'd. Town wins eventually. OR eculc flips town. I get mislynched tomorrow. Town eventually loses. One of these will happen. Hoping it's the first.

Misnomer's Game:
Spoiler:
Misnomer wrote:Your role: Firefighter

The Mafia may be bad, but you know that there are worse types of criminal. Those who start fires and watch them spread, without even thinking of the consequences. You have to stop them.

Each night, you may send me the name of another player. If your action is successful, then your target will protected from any arson-kills that occur during that night phase. Note that your power does not offer protection against any other kinds of kill.

You are Town, and win when all Anti-Town factions have been eliminated. Good luck!

Targetting DBC tonight. If sane, protecting someone I believe to be town. If insane and DBC is scum, rejoice. If insane and DBC is town, at least I'll be proven correct about DBC's towniness. I put the probability of my sanity at 60% sane, 40% insane.

K2K:
Spoiler:
Come on. Draw the NK. Someone NK me! Or cult me or something. VT is getting old. Hope I'm right about BF and wam. Will soon get called out on providing zero reasoning for calling wam scummy.

fshfood

Postby fshfood » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:26 pm UTC

party

Spoiler:
Ok. I'm not convinced that snark isn't scum, but I do think the D1 lynch would have been really weird if he was. Still I think likely scum are the ones that voted snark D1. However, if Eculc turns town, then I think I'll be looking at Snark tomorrow. That is if I don't get NK'd. I guess that's the best I can do as vanilla town.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:04 pm UTC

party
Spoiler:
thanks for that, snark. I know that you're town now, so...congratulations on probably losing the game by pressing for me to get lynched.

KrO2

Postby KrO2 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:22 am UTC

Party
Spoiler:
I feel like there's a high chance that we mislynch either today or tomorrow. If eculc was town, that sucks, and if he was scum then Snark will probably get me lynched. About the prediction: My main candidates at the moment are eculc, Snark, and matt96. I'd currently put eculc maybe around 30%. And Snark at 40%ish, but he's still alive. Hopefully I'm wrong about eculc.
Misnomer's Game
Spoiler:
I didn't expect OverBored to actually get lynched. Those votes shifted fast. Hopefully OB flipping town will help clear Adam, but if he gets investigated in the night it would suck.
K2K
Spoiler:
Whee, I'm being suspected! Of course, I'm not going to be lynched; the question is whether it ever gets bad enough that I have to claim Arthur. I don't think it will. The problem is, I earned most of those FoSes legitimately by changing my opinions. I suppose in the future I'll have to wait until I think I have enough information instead of posting changes of opinion as I get new information. Or maybe that's terrible advice. I'll figure it out eventually.
Sailor Moon
Spoiler:
I *hope* wam is scum. At least I don't really have to worry about Adam being scum now that I know there was no safe claim list. Unless he false claimed without knowing there was no survivor, in which case the claim was stupid and awesome and he deserves the win.

Return to “Mafia”