The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

somitomi

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby somitomi » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:29 pm UTC

Madge wrote:Those following Madge's personal life: tomorrow I start at my New Role, and I'll be doing fatal crash investigations! So apparently I'll be rocking up to the site of a fatal crash within 10 days of it happening, taking measurements of the road, photographing the site, etc and then writing a very detailed report talking about what the road was like and whether it contributed to the accident.

My manager-to-be also states I'll be learning how to inspect existing roads and intersections for safety issues and be given some serious training in becoming an "expert" in that. In a few months they're also hoping to get me onto something more engineer-y, coming up with ways to improve safety of large "programmes"/"sections" of roads.

In other news, I'll be reading WoT3 and trying to see if I can follow it and make "posts" as spoilers. Going to try and be the best replacement candidate ever :lol:

That sounds like a cool job apart from the slightly depressing "fatal crash" part. Good luck.
Madge wrote:Confirmed that I will be enduring d1 after all :roll:

—◯-◯

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:20 pm UTC

yeah it's sad that our state of ~2 million people has enough fatal accidents that there are multiple people who need to do this job. At least I won't be showing up like CSI while the bodies are being put in bags though; everything is mostly cleaned up, apparently, except i guess maybe glass and plastic debris on the side of the road?

fun behind the scenes fact: me and somitomi were both offered the replacement, and neither of us wanted it because THE BEGINNING OF D1 I DIDN'T SIGN UP FOR THIS, so the wise mods had to use random.org and I drew the short byte
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:38 am UTC

Well, everyone confirmed...

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:07 am UTC

Madge wrote:Request a 3 day postponing of wot3 start purely to annoy sabrar

Sabrar wrote:Well, everyone confirmed...
It's not been 3 days yet :P
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:29 pm UTC

wot3

Spoiler:
i'm going to try doing roleplaying on d1. I can't promise I'll get to everyone; what I can promise is I will only roleplay people I'm not currently in the game with, I'll only ever do it half-assedly, and I'll only ever do it on D1.

I'm choosing Bessie as town as I think she and Sabrar are the only ones who would target me pregame with an item, and Sabrar would have otherwise chosen BF.

I could be wrong! But I'm not SDK so I don't have to be right!

I do have an item I have to hand over tomorrow. I'm excited, it's a great mechanism. I don't think it's going to help me and I'm not sure I can use it to help town, but I'll do it.

early scum pick: Sabrar, because his power is kind of similar to mine.

also, my secondary wincon is pathetic. i have to be the first person voting for my target twice in the game. THANKS, my meta is not voting!!!!!
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:29 pm UTC

Hey guys, I've been away for a while, but I sort of came back here the other day and got a bit nostalgic.

While I'm not 100% commited to running a game at the moment, I did have an interesting idea for a potential mafia game themed around Cult Classic movies (such as The Room, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Zardoz, Clockwork Orange, etc.) and I'm checking to see if there is potential interest in such a theme.

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:57 am UTC

At the rate we're crawling through games, I think our schedule is full until after Christmas, unless you felt like running secret santa this year?

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:30 am UTC

Hi Vieto! You and I never played a game together, as I started playing just about when you left the forums. But I did read some games that you modded during my lurking phase, and I vaguely remember that you had some interesting setups and good flavor. I would be interested in playing your game. Would it be large, small, complex, newbie-friendly, etc?

We don’t have the player base that we used to have, and can only support one regular game at a time, and maybe a second low commitment game like ConMan’s Two Rooms or LaserGuy’s dayless games. We have a newbie game coming up that I’m hoping we can run concurrently with wam’s and/or Sungura’s complex games, and draw a different set of players. So if you like, you’re welcome to put your game in the queue for Januaryish, or as Madge said, no one has committed to modding Secret Santa yet. You’re also welcome to sign up for a game so that the newer players (like me me me, and I’ve been here almost four years!) can get to know you a bit, and get more people excited about your game!

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:01 am UTC

Actually if you think you can run a good halloween game, I'd be happy to give it up.

I was hoping to run a Brooklyn 99 "Halloween Heist" themed game, but I'd need someone to help me with the setup/etc because flavour is all I'm good at - and if you can do both, perhaps a cult halloween movie themed game would be a good option? I'd give up my spot in the queue for it.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:55 am UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
So I decided to play this game from a Town perspective (if I can). My D1 reading abilities are usually crap, so it's likely that whoever I tunnel will end up Town. In theory this gives me the perfect opportunity to avoid the NK as well. Therefore I'm legitimately scum-hunting as of this moment. :D

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:40 pm UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
I predict that Vicaran's bonus win-con is too be quoted by every player. (maybe before D1, maybe he just has to make sure he gets everyone before they die.) I applaud him for doing it the hard way instead of just asking people to do it. (Although if he'd asked people to do it I might not have actually done it... )
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:33 am UTC

WOT3

Spoiler:
I love roleplaying SDK. I'm just roleplaying the impression I have of SDK in my head rather than what he is like specifically, so I am making short posts with lots of dramatic flair and accusations.

I'm going to keep on doing this in future D1 games! Though "Wall of very analytical text bessie" and "big accusations SDK" are both the easy ones.

I plan on doing Snark and Vytron. Not sure who else I would have "fun" playing.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:51 pm UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
So i've realized that while others might enjoy the challenge, I just don't like to play Traitor. As Town you can legit scum-hunt and vote up anyone you find suspicious. As Scum you know who your allies are and can legit fake scum-hunting and vote up whoever you want. As Traitor I need to scum-hunt to find my allies but can't vote them up and furthermore I have no idea whether my reads are correct. I haven't got the luxury of legit scum-hunting because if I'm doing it right I will be forced to lynch my allies but if I fake it I still could be wrong and accidentally get them killed.
I fear that for once in my life I have correctly identified the scum-team in the first half of D1 and can't avoid losing because of it, so I just have to hope that I'm still as bad at scum-hunting as I usually am.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:29 am UTC

Wheel of Time 3

Spoiler:
Hi Gojoe thread! You are getting a second rare D1 post from me! I’ve said before that I tend to post here more when I am struggling or depressed and it seems that I’ve already hit the wall. So like I said I was going to do in my previous post, I thought for fun I would try to copy Sabrar’s meta so I made sure I woke up early on Thursday morning so I would have time to post before work, and I managed to make two posts! (late for work though) I’m also trying to do less musing over and rearranging, and more just typing out all my thoughts on the first read through and posting them. Which hmm, didn’t go so well, I made a few errors and got some suspicion for it. No problem, I’m not worried about being scum read on the first couple pages of D1. Anyway, hurried home after work on Thursday to get a good long post done and out of the way so I would be ready late Thursday night to interact with Sabrar when he logged on, I was really hoping to attempt copying that aspect of his meta, and, he didn’t log on, so I went to sleep. I've also been home all day today and Sabrar is barely even posting. It appears he is playing a game somewhere else that is occupying a lot of his time, so it seems he is not as interested in playing here as he usually is. Ah well, I guess you can say I’m disappointed. I mean, not totally. The flavor is brilliant, jimbob always puts so much care in to writing something good, and BoomFrog’s content is a frickin treasure and has me laughing every time I read the thread. But yeah I’m depressed. And I hate attacking Vicarin because he got lynched D1 in the last game he played but I really do think he's scum. :(

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:26 pm UTC

Wheel of Time 3:
Spoiler:
Fun fact: There is a miller in this game. But it's not mpolo (mpolo has a Black Ajah character, but is aligned with Town). I don't know why that player didn't claim miller earlier...!
BlitzGirl the Primordial

wam

Postby wam » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:01 pm UTC

Wot3

Spoiler:
So I'm scum with Vic, which makes his focus on me weird. Also odds of me getting my 2nd win con are low as I'm a lyncher for boonfrog.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:03 pm UTC

WoT3

Spoiler:
So, wild guess right now is Sabrar-LG-h_a scum team with Madge (and maybe Vicarin) as independent, leading to 7-3-1 or 6-3-1-1. Is the latter even possible and balanced? Next step is who do I want to track. I also know about Madge's offer of a "present" since she'd be re-gifting something I gave her N0 related to my secondary win condition. It's kind of a hot potato, basically whoever's holding it I want to see lynched before I die.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

bessie

Postby bessie » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:26 am UTC

Wheel of Time 3
Spoiler:
BoomOracle wrote: Seriously, it's amazing that barking like a dog led to less misunderstandings then trying to sound wise.

I... can’t... stop... laughing......
I'm trying to make a game post and failing BECAUSE OF THIS. My husband can hear me from down the hallway.

wam

Postby wam » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:12 am UTC

Wheel of time 3

Spoiler:
note to self stop.posting so much I will end up saying something incriminating

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:53 am UTC

Wheel of Time
(although rather inconsequential)
Spoiler:
bessie wrote:Do you? Quiet how? And what do you read in to it? Or would you like to know everyone else’s opinion before you commit to your own? Salmon or trout?

I don't know what "Salmon or Trout" means, but it makes me think of scifi. And in an unexpected twist, a connection between the two things I was thinking of is revealed
—◯-◯

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:47 pm UTC

Wheel of Time 3:
Spoiler:
For the record, there is one voting power in the game (but it's not currently active). However, I want there to be scope for vote manipulation etc abilities, hence the need for unvoting. I don't like ruling out possible powers due to rules leaving scope for ambiguity.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:24 pm UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
It's time to save moody, my biggest scum-read. :roll:
Also Vicarin is much more likely to be town, moody could be buddies with any number of people.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:25 pm UTC

Wheel of Time 3:
Spoiler:
Sabrar is going to kick himself if Vicarin gets lynched...
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:05 pm UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
Stressful day, let's unwind by pointlessly complaining about this game. :D
Did I mention that I don't like being Traitor? Plus it very much looks like that we managed to lynch scum, meaning that we're already in a dire situation. I very much doubt that jimbob would do a 7-3-1 setup or anything worse, so there must be only a single scum remaining. That's the issue with small games, balance becomes too swingy depending on the correctness of the D1 lynch. Town with a full compliment of power-roles is scary, though I hope against hope that some of them are as useless as mine. It's very possible that I will never use my ability (except in an unlikely LYLO-típe of situation to create confusion) and just claim bullet-proof if it comes to that. That at least will have ties to my 'color', while claiming my actual ability could easily get me lynched simply because of flavor-reasons. Although I did put a breadcrumb out there in case I need to claim it, that might help me out for a day. Oh well, we'll see.

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:52 am UTC

Wheel of Time 3
Spoiler:
Wow, so it’s really hard to role play as Sabrar! I was trying to make lots of shorter posts by just reading through the content and responding as I went along, instead of the bessie method of reading the previous 8-10 hours of content as a block, organizing my thoughts, and responding to it all in one long post. I think I’ve already posted about how this was a disaster right from Page 1 where I made some mistakes (but I did at least manage to post a link to an old game in my first post). And I also made 3 Gojoe posts (because Sabrar usually makes a lot of Gojoe posts) and I rarely post in Gojoe on D1 (I like to put my precious D1 hours toward playing). But seriously, the posting over the weekend really wore me down.

At least I think I managed to get the highest post count.

bessie: 37
BoomFrog: 33
heuristically_alone: 25
LaserGuy: 34
Madge: 11
Mark_Cangila: 26
moody7277: 17
mpolo: 16
Sabrar: 35
Vicarin: 50
wam: 41

Godfuckingdammit.

I think I’m dead tonight anyway. I think Vicarin is a lyncher type role with a target, probably with kill, maybe a day kill if he only gets one shot to win or lose. If this is correct I’m his target, but he doesn’t know it yet, and he won’t shoot too early but he also won’t wait too long. If Vicarin’s mafia he will kill me because BoomFrog knows I will never back off. If not, mafia should kill me anyway for the beautiful wine.

In general, I don’t breadcrumb, but I do roleplay. I should have left enough clues to my power (if Sabrar and BoomFrog and LaserGuy put it all together).

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:20 pm UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
Will be laughing my ass off if scum decides to NK me (well not really). Theoretically Vicarin should be killed here (there must be some way to avoid 'Follow the Cop'), unless of course moody was Strongman in which case we're boned. Hard.

wam

Postby wam » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:43 pm UTC

Wheel of time 3

Spoiler:
when you read this, sorry sabrar. You were the only one scum reading both of us so had to go. At least you were right!

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:09 pm UTC

WoT
Spoiler:
Don't worry Sabrar, by unspoken agreement scum won't NK you N1 this game. You are safe for now, I don't think anyone would be so cruel.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:37 pm UTC

Wheel of Time 3:
Spoiler:
I'm out all this evening, so I won't have time for a while yet to end night. But everybody is going to be so confused when Sabrar wakes up alive...!
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:44 am UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
Seriously??? I guess jimbob already shared what happened during the night, but just in case: scum DID try to NK me but being Traitor it didn't went through and now they know what I am and I know who tried to kill me. Shocker, it's Vicarin the Cop-claim. Quick thoughts:

1. Sorry moody, I tried to save you :)
2. Should Vicarin ever get lynched I will be super-confirmed
3. Awww, bessie is Town, I thought she might be moody's partner.
4. Nooo, BoomFrog might be scum in which case I didn't manage to fool him as I would have liked.
5. I can legitimately claim Bulletproof now. :)
6. Oh, moody got my submitted secondary win-con. It's a variation on this role.
7. I wonder if Vicarin will try to signal me about who his buddy is (flavor I received would imply a 2 man scum-team which I already speculated).

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:15 pm UTC

WoT3

Spoiler:
For the record, I was actually planning on giving the whatsit to Liri, but then Madge subbed in and I didn't bother changing it. I had no intention of bringing it up, never mentioned my secondary win, unless I was reading whoever had it as scummy. Which would have been the case if she had given it to h_a as she previously stated.

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:47 pm UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
So yeah. BoomFrog is Vicarin's buddy (and probably is GF given that bessie must have checked him), he would be all over him otherwise.
Having serious doubts about claiming the bullet-proof today, it takes away Vicarin's 'out' of lucky roleblock preventing the kill on him. But I have to be careful with my content so I remain consistent whether or not I claim it later and this is difficult to do.

@future!bessie: no hard feelings, right? :)

Late edit: turns out as soon as I know who my buddies are I lose all ability to appear to be effectively scum-hunting. :(

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:47 am UTC

@moody:
WoT
Spoiler:
. Damn, sorry for driving your lynch. I guess you are just fatalistic all the time. It's really hard to get a good read on you.

I'm going to go back and look at that LaserGuy-Sabrar block you mentioned. I just thought you were being defensive.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:47 am UTC

WoT 3
Spoiler:
LG wrote:When a man points a finger at someone else, he should remember that four of his fingers are pointing at himself.
I am interested to see how LaserGuy's thumbs work. :P
any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)
----
NiteSciFi, sci-fi forum that needs more members

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:29 am UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
Scum-hunting/verifying a claim based on flavor text seems awfully wrong to me...

Another late edit: I wonder if scum was told that there's a Traitor they can find... Would mean that BoomFrog actually read me correctly which wouldn't surprise me.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:07 pm UTC

WoT3

Spoiler:
"Also, I'm offended at any cult that didn't recruit me first."--BoomFrog

I'm pretty much the opposite; I wouldn't join any cult that would have me as a member.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:02 am UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
I was thinking that if I'm wrong about BoomFrog then the most likely candidate for Vicarin's buddy would be wam but I don't think Vicarin would draw attention to a possible link between them early D1. So I'm still under the firm belief that BoomFrog is GF and bessie's love for him is blinding her.

@bessie: you are free to mock me after the game if I'm in error here.

Another late edit: I really hope there isn't an actual BP role out there...

And another: I really hope BoomFrog is just distancing himself from me...

bessie

Postby bessie » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:03 am UTC

Wheel of Time 3
Spoiler:
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4380292#p4380292
Zaphod wrote: Do you really think Scum!Bessie would have NKed you N1?
Deep Thought wrote: Yes, if she thinks that it is the best course of action if she wants to win. Actual game-win trumps whatever special bond we have because scum!bessie has an obligation to her partner(s) as well.

I have trouble killing anyone. Especially early in the game. I struggle with it. But Sabrar is correct. A personal win to me is not that important, but my primary goal in any game would be to do all I could to secure a win for my team. And I think that there is something else. BoomFrog is correct in that it would be especially difficult for me to kill Sabrar because I know how much Sabrar enjoys playing. However, I could never let that influence my choices because much of the fun of this game for Sabrar comes from trying to work out the puzzle, and I think it would lessen the puzzle for him if he knew someone was predisposed to give him a free pass on N1. And I would never want take away from his or anyone else's fun.

I must confess though that i have a soft spot for newbies in their first game, and would do everything in my power to try to ensure they get to play at least one full cycle. My hands would be pretty much tied though if a newbie claimed cop on D1. :P

I’m glad this experiment in trying to play with different meta is almost over. I’m still trying to read-respond-post with minimal pondering and proofreading. It would have been cool if it worked, because time may be a bit of an issue for me in September and October, but alas I’ve proven that I’m just not an organized enough thinker. If I survive the day please scum kill me. Or Sabrar kill me. Are you my lyncher? You never read me this wrong, for this long.

I'm sorry moody. I knew I was wrong about you but not until halfway through the night. Again, I don’t think fast, and there wasn’t enough time for me to process the night’s posts properly before work. Hence my policy of usually not voting for you on D1. :wink:

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:40 pm UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
I'm not surprised that town accepts my BP claim, the best lies are the ones that have a lot of truth in them just twisted a bit. :)
I still believe BoomFrog to be scum, my hypothesis is that his non-voting activated GF plus additional protection/ability for N1.
He's orchestrating everything perfectly, if you want to learn how to scum well just watch him this game. The way he gives me clues and steers the conversation toward clearing me and getting the lynch away from Vicarin is marvellous. He will advise Vicarin to vote wam today and will reluctantly join the wagon if it's necessary. Hopefully at least one of Madge and mpolo will vote wam as well, otherwise it might be impossible.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:09 pm UTC

Wheel of Time 3:
Spoiler:
Oh Sabrar, how wrong you are...

By the way, is it bad that whenever I mod a game, I root for scum? I mean WoT2 it wasn't technically scum, it was Elaida's faction, who weren't really scum. Just to be clear, I don't bias the setup that way (at least not intentionally), it just is what it is.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Return to “Mafia”