The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Sabrar

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Sabrar » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:05 am UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
Apologies to the spectators for dragging this out for another month but my only path to victory is to withhold the nk as long as possible.

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:23 am UTC

Wheel of Time 3
Spoiler:
Oh no really the game didn’t end? Fuck me. Now I’m going to have to choose between BoomFrog and Sabrar. Again.

Sorry Sabrar, but I think that part of BoomFrog’s fundamental nature is that he’s unlynchable. I can’t recall ever seeing him lynched. Unless I can get a non-town result on someone tonight, Sabrar will likely be lynched tomorrow.

I wasn’t expecting the lynch to swing to Madge, but I had to vote with LaserGuy because he’s my sure town read. Usually mpolo has the whole game figured out by now, but he’s on vacation without a computer, and not very involved. Still I am reassured that he followed us on Madge, because if he's town more often than not he's right on D4.

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4384283#p4384283
My Nemesis wrote:I wish real Sabrar were here to help me figure this out instead of decoy Sabrar.
My exact thoughts this entire game. :(

So is it BoomFrog or Sabrar that has to die? Come on LaserGuy, remember I only have a little puppy brain. I need you to figure this out, or I need you feed me something to play off of. I don’t work alone.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:55 am UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
Of course the main drawback of not killing bessie is that it gives her time to check everyone else and she might discard the possibility of a GF at the end. Oh well, the damage has already been done and I simply can't risk getting caught by Mark.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:01 pm UTC

wam wrote:Anyone else for chaos mafia?

I've pondered signing up, but the bastardry sounds intimidating. I have a hard enough time evaluating the truth value of post from other players without having to that for mod posts :oops:
—◯-◯ FG Discord

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:28 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:

I've pondered signing up, but the bastardry sounds intimidating. I have a hard enough time evaluating the truth value of post from other players without having to that for mod posts :oops:

Actually, making reads will probably be similar to any other game; scum will be slightly less confused than town since they have more info.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

wam

Postby wam » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:38 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:

As stated it's not very different from normal games. I am also having a rule where anything from the mod in bold is guaranteed to be true.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:25 pm UTC

wam wrote:
somitomi wrote:

As stated it's not very different from normal games. I am also having a rule where anything from the mod in bold is guaranteed to be true.

^ This rule is not bolded, therefore cannot be trusted.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:54 pm UTC

MasterOfAll wrote:
wam wrote:
somitomi wrote:

^ This rule is not bolded, therefore cannot be trusted.
Won't also the fact that the statement required to make the rule in the rules post be in bold be a circular reference? I.e. Dubious.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

wam

Postby wam » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:34 pm UTC

I can see this is going to be a fun game!
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:58 pm UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
Even though I hate long nights I would like to thank jimbob for not offering the often-used 'if all players are fine with it D5 will begin early' deal which is usually a clear sign of no night-chat remaining.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:49 pm UTC

Wheel of Time 3 (Sabrar may read):
Spoiler:
Actually, I just am out most Thursday evenings, so I don't have time to end the night early, even if I wanted to.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:13 am UTC

MasterOfAll wrote:^ This rule is not bolded, therefore cannot be trusted.
If you're going to continue to lurk instead of signing up for a game, the least you can do is leave us an occasional spoiler! :P

Wheel of Time 3
Spoiler:
So Sabrar, what are you talking about in Gojoe? All the stuff that you haven't been talking about in the GAME THREAD? Is it an apology because you're finally going to night kill me me me?

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:07 am UTC

WoT3

Spoiler:
Oh bessie, trying to draw conclusions based on Gojoe posting. Tut tut.

I mean, they're almost correct and everything, but tut tut anyway.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:51 am UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
Extension of the night is not a big deal, I already know nothing important will happen anyway. Plus it gives others a chance to post first, allowing me to adjust my reactions.

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:53 pm UTC

Wheel of Time 3

Spoiler:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:There's a not unreasonable chance that I'll be delayed by a couple of hours with sorting out night tonight. Sorry to those who are eagerly anticipating D5...
And who might that be??? :P

Speaking of, I see Sabrar's made another Gojoe post. What could he be so anxious about? Guilty conscience? Is it all about ME ME ME?

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:56 pm UTC

Wheel of Time 3 (bessie may read):
Spoiler:
Sorry, it's not what you think. It's just a work colleague's leaving party this evening.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:02 pm UTC

Wheel of Time 3 @jimbob

Spoiler:
Why jimbobmacdoodle, it's always all about me me me! I thought you knew that by now.

Have a good evening! We don't mind the delay. :P

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:07 pm UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
bessie never posts this much to Gojoe...

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:10 pm UTC

Wheel of Time 3

Spoiler:
Posting just to (hopefully) add to Sabrar's anxiety. YOU'RE KILLING ME, AREN'T YOU???

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:44 pm UTC

WoT 3
Spoiler:
I am just super confused. I feel like I'm spinning my wheels getting nowhere. mpolo is being way too opportunistic and content being confused though.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:58 pm UTC

WOT3
Spoiler:
I find it amusing that Bessie and Sabrar are having a spoiler conversation with each other. Without actually knowing what the other one said, of course.

@Bessie - I refrained from reading spoilers for this game until D1 was over, and was quite pleased that I correctly identified 2/3 scum. I actually did not think Vicarin was, but did think Sabrar and wam and moody were. I will attempt to do the same for wam's bastard game, and actually capture my thoughts in a spoiler, and will probably be completely wrong.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:56 pm UTC

Wheel of Time 3
Spoiler:
Hahaha my last post is so Sabrar-meta, at least the first part, I’m trying to copy his posting style.

Oh yeah, and GOSHDARNIT, why am I still alive and unrecruited???

Sorry Madge. I suck.

MasterOfAll, thanks for the spoiler, unfortunately I’m alive and won’t be reading it for another week.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:16 pm UTC

WoT3

Spoiler:
bessie wrote:Oh yeah, and GOSHDARNIT, why am I still alive and unrecruited???

Because there is no cult and Sabrar's playing the long game. You should already know Vicarin being scum means he was lying out his ass. Trust your soul-read, trust LaserGuy!

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:27 pm UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
This is stupid. I submitted moody's second wincon but I cannot acknowledge it or hint at it without breaking the rules so I'm legally not allowed to defend myself against that particular suspicion. This really needs to be changed somehow...

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:41 am UTC

Wheel of Time 3

Spoiler:
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=4385316#p4385316

Real Sabrar, not bessie copying Sabrar’s meta wrote:
bessie wrote:And you’ve got to stop with the “this is the way I would do it so it is the most logical and only acceptable way to play” thing.
You know I won't. :D Though to be honest this was in part a deliberate attempt to needle you. I'm entitled to my fun.

And I’m entitled to my fun. Oh me yarm....... you have no frickin idea.

:lol:

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:36 pm UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
So..... Deep breath.... Relax.... I misread my role-pm. Again.
My ability (that I don't think I've ever revealed here) is that I can place an additional vote on someone during the night but I will be unable to vote that player or change my choice during the day. So I can't use it for a double-vote.
Despite re-reading the power multiple times and asking a lot of questions from the mod regarding it I always thought that it would appear in the votals with my name attached. However it clearly says in the description (like half a dozen times) that this secret vote will be anonymous. So I was withholding because the power in the form I envisioned is basically useless except in some very specific scenarios.
Unfortunately if I start using it now then town will most probably realize that it is my power and the Survivor claim goes up in smoke...
So I'll continue to roleplay Vanilla.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:09 pm UTC

Wheel of Time 3:
Spoiler:
I'm confused. Why have town stopped caring about a cult? Surely a BF!Godfather as cult-leader (or SK/Mafia member) would make as much sense here as yesterday?
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:36 pm UTC

WoT3 @jimbob

Spoiler:
No idea. Also, I'd have thought that the possibility of a scum mentor would have been brought up by now, and if one existed, this would be MYLO right now.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:48 pm UTC

WoT 3
Spoiler:
I heard movement outside my room, I went to investigate but I only found a container which had a figure like this in it, together with a note talking about research and how I shouldn't use the item but pass it on the next night.

It's irrelevent, so no mod action is needed I think. But directly linking the picture from a mod PM is basically quoting. Maybe we need to clarify the wording of that rule, like: Do not quote a PM from a mod (or do anything else that proves you got a PM from the mod.)
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:58 pm UTC

WoT3

Spoiler:
Okay, so Sabrar is playing the long game where he's not going to kill anyone ever. Say that they mislynch BoomFrog D5, and that in some weird series of events they mislynch Mark D6. That would put him in a 3-1 MYLO situation with LaserGuy, bessie, and mpolo. Is he not going to go with the usual No lynch in that situation and draw attention to himself that way? If he does go along, then what happens D8 (seriously, D8) when there was status quo overnight? Anyone other than Sabrar and SDK would already have been lynched D5 or would be a sure lynch D6.

The other thing is I keep wondering what I'd be doing in this situation, but being aware of spoilers muddies that a lot. I'd like to think that I'd had been able to call BS on the cult issue D3 and follow LaserGuy about Sabrar (he's got a non-town cop result on him for crying out loud). More likely is that if I'd gotten too strong on some of this I'd just get mislynched.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:12 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:WoT 3
Spoiler:
I heard movement outside my room, I went to investigate but I only found a container which had a figure like this in it, together with a note talking about research and how I shouldn't use the item but pass it on the next night.

It's irrelevent, so no mod action is needed I think. But directly linking the picture from a mod PM is basically quoting. Maybe we need to clarify the wording of that rule, like: Do not quote a PM from a mod (or do anything else that proves you got a PM from the mod.)

WOT3 (nobody alive may read)

Spoiler:
I just double checked my PM and I didn't get a stock image linked in mine, when I got the ter'angreal. I just got the description of a gallows, FWIW, so unless jimbob has started adding images, I just assumed it was him showing us what a gallows looks like. At most I assumed Mark found a similar picture of a gallows and linked to that. Since he linked to a webpage rather than to like a .jpg
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:17 am UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
Ah, it's not going to happen. Pure logic cannot overcome the hearts of some people. :(

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:08 pm UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
Town is lazy, I'm just trolling now.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:48 pm UTC

bessie wrote:We’re not all Deep Thought. Some of us are Ford Prefect and we don’t always plan things out as well as we should and we get stranded on Earth for fifteen years.

This is the best thing I've read today, I might be in love. :D
—◯-◯ FG Discord

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:02 am UTC

Just make sure you have your towel handy for when you can finally escape.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:56 pm UTC

WoT 3
Spoiler:
Zebra wrote:Say you ignite 2 players n4 then today we would have had a 2-1-1 situation. You can't out yourself as that gets you lynched and you don't have a kill n5. Game is far from over.

True, I was thinking scum could rely on you to take their side, but the last scum can't hold survivor hostage. Still it's D5 and I've only been roleblocked once. I could have doused 3 people and ignited, but yeah, still a gamble until I can get everyone at once.

Yep, this is a good point. Guess, I'll just ignore it and let you get lynched. :mrgreen:

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:02 pm UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
@jimbob: please announce N5. Make them think for a while that game isn't over... :twisted:

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:25 pm UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
Sabrar - you're welcome :D
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Mark_Cangila

Postby Mark_Cangila » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:34 pm UTC

I had an idea for a cool mafia game based off the book "Sabriel." Would anyone be willing to help me with planning it?

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:06 am UTC

Mark_Cangila wrote:I had an idea for a cool mafia game based off the book "Sabriel." Would anyone be willing to help me with planning it?

yes I would be very happy to help you with balance and co-mod a game where you do most modding but I'm there to answer questions for you and help out.

Edit: Although you should be honest with yourself, if you have difficulty participating in the game to the end are you going to have difficulty modding to the end?

Return to “Mafia”