The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

BoomFrog

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:13 am UTC

wam wrote:Wot3

Spoiler:
wonder if boom will remember I pulled this exact play in avenger mafia. Didn't go well..

I don't think I played in Avengers Mafia.

bessie wrote:Wheel of Time 3
But if I did soulreads, my gut is telling me it’s Sabrar. :?

Hmm... :)

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Wheel of Time 3:
Spoiler:
I'm confused. Why have town stopped caring about a cult? Surely a BF!Godfather as cult-leader (or SK/Mafia member) would make as much sense here as yesterday?

It's that Boomfrog magic. Since people were convinced that it was me and Madge, Madge flipping town and me not winning feels like it means I must not be cult.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:16 am UTC

While we're begging for comods, I'd love a setup/balance mod for the upcoming djkeneuaut memorial halloween mafia game I'll be running.

I'm planning on doing a Brooklyn 99 halloween heist theme, but can take sole responsibility for flavour and any actual modding (vote counting/etc). I'm mostly interested in having a mod who can help me balance it because I have a somewhat ambitious idea and need to make sure it's not going to be a completely unbalanced shitshow.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:10 am UTC

Madge wrote:While we're begging for comods, I'd love a setup/balance mod for the upcoming djkeneuaut memorial halloween mafia game I'll be running.

I'm planning on doing a Brooklyn 99 halloween heist theme, but can take sole responsibility for flavour and any actual modding (vote counting/etc). I'm mostly interested in having a mod who can help me balance it because I have a somewhat ambitious idea and need to make sure it's not going to be a completely unbalanced shitshow.

Halloween turned out nice last year I think, we can do it again.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:12 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:
Madge wrote:While we're begging for comods, I'd love a setup/balance mod for the upcoming djkeneuaut memorial halloween mafia game I'll be running.

Halloween turned out nice last year I think, we can do it again.

Awesome!! I will PM you when work quiets down a bit and I can tell you what I'm hoping to accomplish and you can tell me how to actually make it succesful :lol:
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:52 am UTC

my schedule is still a bit messy so feel free to ping me for co-moding.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:39 pm UTC

wam wrote:I can see this is going to be a fun game!

I am so ready for that chaos!
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

wam

Postby wam » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:08 pm UTC

plytho wrote:
wam wrote:I can see this is going to be a fun game!

I am so ready for that chaos!

Well I was hoping sabrar would live another day! Am actually away this week but will finish writing the game Sunday.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

wam

Postby wam » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:29 pm UTC

@boom huh I thought you did. Difference for me was that we knew there was a cult still didn't work.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:13 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:Just make sure you have your towel handy for when you can finally escape.

Escape? Why would I want to do that?

The feeling's gone though...
—◯‐◯ FG Discord

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:44 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:
bessie wrote:Do you? Quiet how? And what do you read in to it? Or would you like to know everyone else’s opinion before you commit to your own? Salmon or trout?

I don't know what "Salmon or Trout" means, but it makes me think of scifi. And in an unexpected twist, a connection between the two things I was thinking of is revealed
It was nothing that interesting. I was just accusing wam of fishing. :P

MasterOfAll wrote:I find it amusing that Bessie and Sabrar are having a spoiler conversation with each other. Without actually knowing what the other one said, of course.
Oh, we do this quite often. :lol:

somitomi wrote:
bessie wrote:We’re not all Deep Thought. Some of us are Ford Prefect and we don’t always plan things out as well as we should and we get stranded on Earth for fifteen years.

This is the best thing I've read today, I might be in love. :D
<3 I love you too somitomi. :) I've let it slip before in this forum that I'm old enough to have seen Douglas Adams give one of his talks (I’m pretty sure it was something about Last Chance to See) not too long before he died. I was going to say that my signed copy is one of my prized possessions, but I can't seem to find it. I hope no one walked off with it. :(

wam wrote:Well I was hoping sabrar would live another day! Am actually away this week but will finish writing the game Sunday.
Ok lurkers, you need to sign up for wam’s game by tomorrow!

Informational message for everyone, I have a work project and won’t be able to devote as much time as usual to the game. I’ve already discussed it with wam, and asked him if he wanted me to move to replacements, and he thinks I’ll be ok. But I want to warn everyone about it now, before I get my role pm, so that it is understood that my content level will not match WoT3, and that this is non-alignment indicative.

Speaking of WoT3, I’m working on my game feedback for jimbob now, will have something later today.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:28 am UTC

I guess I should mention that I'm going to be pretty busy this month too, so won't be doing as much content. September is pretty busy, eh?

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:38 am UTC

Well I definitely won’t be lurking. :) By signing up, I’ve made the decision to commit at least an hour per day to the game. But WoT3, Alien Warfare, etc, my average daily commitment was more like 2 hours a day, more on weekends. And even more on games like NNY, Stellaris, and Crossover, and if the thread grows long a lot of that hour could be sucked up just by reading. I don’t want to mention any names (Sabrar plytho :P) but there are a couple of players on the list with whom I tend to have rather lengthy, detailed, analytical, and highly enjoyable arguments debates, which I will do my best to accommodate, but I’m probably going to be doing more response-type posting and less complete overview-type posting. So there will be a noticeable difference in my posting style, and I will be extremely disappointed in anyone that uses a RL issue that I’ve explained in advance as the basis of a scum read on me.

Or I suppose I could just copy Madge’s meta for this game. 8-)

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:13 am UTC

Since this is a bastard game, I reckon wam has already given you your role PM and that you are just making up excuses now... :D

P.S. I made it to America, and haven't slept properly in nearly 24 hours zzzz
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:21 pm UTC

bessie wrote:Or I suppose I could just copy Madge’s meta for this game. 8-)

You really should! I spend like 10-15 minutes on games when I play (not counting the idle processes that games take on my mind, of course), and the thought of someone spending two hours is just... :shock:

Seriously, one game, limit yourself to... 20 minutes a day, 40 minutes on the weekends. I worry about how much time you have for everything else in your life!!!!!! <3

But then again, it probably explains why you're such a good scumhunter and I'm so bad at it I'm wondering whether I should keep trying (and then remember that when I'm scum I can pretend to scumhunt so... I should probably do that).

Oh, also, when I was pretending to be you, I was spending 45min-1hour per day on the game...

Still not sure whether I'll keep copying metas. I think for wam's game there'll be something exciting to discuss, though i'm going to try to avoid talking about my own damn role PM

Mark_Cangila

Postby Mark_Cangila » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:14 pm UTC

I was thinking about it, and, tbh, I prefer playing scum to town. I feel like it fits my playstyle more.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:31 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Since this is a bastard game, I reckon wam has already given you your role PM and that you are just making up excuses now... :D
And how did you know the anti-town factions already received their role PMs???

FoS jimbobmacdoodle

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:P.S. I made it to America, and haven't slept properly in nearly 24 hours zzzz
Oh man I hate flying so much. I don’t even know the last time I didn’t have an issue with a flight. And hey what? I’m going to be really disappointed if you’re in Los Angeles and you didn’t make plans to visit me me me!

Madge wrote:But then again, it probably explains why you're such a good scumhunter and I'm so bad at it I'm wondering whether I should keep trying (and then remember that when I'm scum I can pretend to scumhunt so... I should probably do that).
I spend a lot of time analyzing because I need to do it that way. I’m not someone that can get a flash of insight and make a read. You can, you’re brilliant at reading through and understanding the vibe of the thing. 8-)

Madge wrote:Still not sure whether I'll keep copying metas.
Ok but you are at least going to do Vytron, aren’t you? :P

wam

Postby wam » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:39 pm UTC

So trying to write out role pm and my laptop is doing updates and has taken 10 minutes to do 3%. But game will be up within 48 hours. I am travelling for work this week so might take a while to respond to enquiries!

wam

Postby wam » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:04 pm UTC

wam wrote:So trying to write out role pm and my laptop is doing updates and has taken 10 minutes to do 3%. But game will be up within 48 hours. I am travelling for work this week so might take a while to respond to enquiries!

Update: am.half done. Hope it's as fun to play as it is to write!

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:34 pm UTC

Dibs on Traitor. :lol:

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:40 pm UTC

bessie wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Since this is a bastard game, I reckon wam has already given you your role PM and that you are just making up excuses now... :D
And how did you know the anti-town factions already received their role PMs???

FoS jimbobmacdoodle
I didn't. But I see you knew.

Vote bessie

bessie wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:P.S. I made it to America, and haven't slept properly in nearly 24 hours zzzz
Oh man I hate flying so much. I don’t even know the last time I didn’t have an issue with a flight. And hey what? I’m going to be really disappointed if you’re in Los Angeles and you didn’t make plans to visit me me me!
Sorry, I'm in Utah for the week. I do have a 4h45 minute layover on my way back in LA though...!
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:25 am UTC

@bessie: honestly, given my and Vytron's history (though it contains no ill-will on either part; just a combination of guilt and smugness on mine), I'd probably not feel right playing as him

wam

Postby wam » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:20 pm UTC

Game is written but having IT issues! Will try and get it up tomorrow.
Details in spoiler
Spoiler:
basically hotel Wi-Fi is broken and separately so is email on laptop game is written on!

bessie

Postby bessie » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:50 am UTC

Madge wrote:@bessie: honestly, given my and Vytron's history (though it contains no ill-will on either part; just a combination of guilt and smugness on mine), I'd probably not feel right playing as him

I only asked because you said you were thinking of Vytron and Snark. I am totally happy with you playing Madge, as Madge is one of my favorite people to play with anyway. :)

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:08 am UTC

wam wrote:Game is written but having IT issues! Will try and get it up tomorrow.
Excuses, excuses. If you can post you can also send role pm-s. WHY HAVEN'T YOU DONE SO??? :P

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:41 am UTC

Just to let people know, on two weekends (this one and two weeks afterwards), I will have more limited connection ability, though I should be able to at least phone post.
Image <-- Evil experiment

wam

Postby wam » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:21 pm UTC

Chaos game

Spoiler:
Other than Jimbo due to his availability all roles have been allocated randomly. But random our has thrown up a lot of the choices I would make if I was being mean.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:26 pm UTC

Chaos game
Spoiler:
I'm SK. With only 3 kills. But I can also kill people if I know their role name. However it will be public and very noticeable. Plus the mod warned us not to claim our role names...
Not sure how to approach this, might have to claim Vig.
Also I have no protection whatsoever...

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:38 pm UTC

wam chaos game

Spoiler:
Hey, yo, so I'm a cult leader this time. I think I was one once before, look up Reverse mafia where "town" was the mafia, and I was a recruiting FBI agent. Won that one fairly easily, but I'm not sure if it was balanced. Strategy was that I suborned a cop first night, fortunately they were listed right off. We'll see how this goes,
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:38 pm UTC

Chaos game

Spoiler:
Well, that's not very chaotic. I'm vanilla town.
Image <-- Evil experiment

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:40 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Sorry, I'm in Utah for the week. I do have a 4h45 minute layover on my way back in LA though...!

Unfortunately I didn't get to meet you guys in LA. But Jimbob - if you need recommendations on what to see in LA even for a couple of hours, until a few months ago I lived in the Santa Monica area (four almost four years), so I can suggest things on the west side.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:02 pm UTC

CHAOS

Spoiler:
OH MY GOD WAM I AM A JAOT WHO IS NOT ALLOWED TO CLAIM CAN ONLY CLAIM VT WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK

I WILL LITERALLY HAVE COP RESULTS BUT BE UNABNLE TO CLAIM THEM

........ i am SO excited

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:15 pm UTC

Chaos
Spoiler:
Ooo, well those are some interesting abilities. I can ressurect one person and I can cause all actions to target randomly once per game. The second would be usually terrible to do, but I also get a full list of the new targeting, so super watcher. That should be able to trace the NK that way. I'll wait until N2 to see what other chaos is going on first.

But bastardry... My ressurection comes from an artifact I found in the jungle while filming tomb raider. I wonder if my ressurection will have unintended consequences like changing the targets alignment. Playing with ancient artifacts usually has mysterious consequences...
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

wam

Postby wam » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:56 pm UTC

Chaos

Spoiler:
So answering points above. Sabrar has a 1 shot lynch immunity and a 2 shot nk immunity he doestn know about.
Madges role was randomly allocated but I did laugh when she got it.
Mpolo role is based on the terminator every time he dies he comes back 1 game phase later. I.e dies n1 comes back n2. And each time he gets more powers. Up to a limit of 5.
Boomfrog doesn't get all actions he gets the list his redirects. I have clarified. Also I had planned on it being a straight forward resurrection but may change that as his idea is cool. Advantage of a bastard game!

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:32 pm UTC

Chaos:
Spoiler:
I'm Jason Statham, the most generic action hero ever, so I am a generic backup. I replace whoever does first completely. This should be interesting...
BlitzGirl the Primordial

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:33 pm UTC

dimochka wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Sorry, I'm in Utah for the week. I do have a 4h45 minute layover on my way back in LA though...!

Unfortunately I didn't get to meet you guys in LA. But Jimbob - if you need recommendations on what to see in LA even for a couple of hours, until a few months ago I lived in the Santa Monica area (four almost four years), so I can suggest things on the west side.
Thanks dimochka. How far away is the airport from anywhere?
BlitzGirl the Primordial

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:25 pm UTC

Chaos
Spoiler:
Yesss... Sabrar is in on the joke. Can I get everyone?

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:26 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:
dimochka wrote:

Depends on traffic. I worked in El Segundo (literally a mile from the airport), so I can suggest something very close by, or Venice/Santa Monica (possibly 25-30 min away).

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:45 pm UTC

chaos

Spoiler:
So, given the trend in the thread, I am wondering what a cult in a highly bastard game might look like, and recalled this gem from Stargate mafia. Let me allow one of my fav players put it best:

ameretrifle wrote:This is the cult that doesn't exist/It's as substantial as the mist!/I want to keep the guy alive though he might well be scum/Though we can talk, I'm still not cult, but don't tell him because/This is the cult that doesn't exist/
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:07 pm UTC

dimochka wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:
dimochka wrote:

Depends on traffic. I worked in El Segundo (literally a mile from the airport), so I can suggest something very close by, or Venice/Santa Monica (possibly 25-30 min away).
Thanks for the offer. I've looked at my tickets, and it looks like I won't have to change terminals, so there's a reasonable chance I won't need to worry about passing through security again, and if that's the case, I may just keep my life simple and stay in the terminal, so that I don't risk any problems or delays.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:15 pm UTC

wam's chaos
Spoiler:
I guess this is the first time I'm mafia (I don't count DD since it was a rather unconventional game and I lost too :oops: ) and I get to be Godfather with bessie. Thanks, wam!
—◯‐◯ FG Discord

Return to “Mafia”