The Legend of Mafia Manor: Newbie Round- Iz ded.

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Rakysh

Re: The Legend of Mafia Manor: Newbie Round- Day 1

Postby Rakysh » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:39 am UTC

A day and five hours, sir. Check the dates. It's suspicion based on a lack of anything better to go on more than anything else. I was also moaning more about people not responding at all, not just you.

If the express reasoning of your vote becomes invalid, either tell us the other reason, or unvote, as a rule. A three person vote isn't that dangerous atm, it's 7 for a lynch- the scum couldn't all vote in one go to get a townie (assuming none have already voted) lynched. I personally had no problem with lynching rhyme at that point, I just thought we had better give them a bit more of a chance.

MartinW

Postby MartinW » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:18 pm UTC

Rhyme, measures against roleclaiming usually involve anti-town roles that can make the claimed role useless/dead. Hitman, which kills trough protection, or roleblocker, which blocks actions, are two favourites. Not quoting flavour-text is to prevent gamebreaking. In some games vanilla townies have the same roletext, and so could prove their towniness by posting their roletext. Even if this only works once, this still gives the town one more confirmed townie.

Wouldn't we have more flavor text to work off of and possible investigation results though? Also, if win conditions aren't there just to mess with us and there is actually an sk isn't there also a good chance of being one less scum in the morning?

SK would probably not be much better at finding scum than us, so would probably kill a townie N1.

I can see FC's view on Avelion. (Voting for another lurker smells slightly like scum trying to divert attention. Saying your vote is a guess is a way of absolving responsibility, which also strikes me as scum.) However, FC does strike me a bit scummy for unvoting when pressured. This tend to be a scumtell, as scum try to stay out of trouble as much as they can (even, or especially, by backtracking). Though it could also be a tell of a survivor like person.

FC, why have you unvoted? Your reason for keeping your vote has not become invalid?

Flying_Cookie

Postby Flying_Cookie » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:49 pm UTC

Rakysh wrote:A day and five hours, sir. Check the dates. It's suspicion based on a lack of anything better to go on more than anything else. I was also moaning more about people not responding at all, not just you.

If the express reasoning of your vote becomes invalid, either tell us the other reason, or unvote, as a rule. A three person vote isn't that dangerous atm, it's 7 for a lynch- the scum couldn't all vote in one go to get a townie (assuming none have already voted) lynched. I personally had no problem with lynching rhyme at that point, I just thought we had better give them a bit more of a chance.

11 PM Thursday to 3:30 AM Friday, Four and a half hours. (I didn't get to it until about a day after it, but your statement about me ignoring it was only about five hours after it) And thanks for the tip about the unvoting, I'll keep that in mind.

As for my unvoting, most of my reason for the vote in the first place was due to lurking, and as I said I kept it there because of the new lurker vote + bandwagon, but since it seems to have resolved, I don't feel my left over suspicions from the bandwagon are enough to warrant a vote.
Flying_CookieTM

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:52 pm UTC

*rubs eyes*

So it is. My sincerest apologies. I can only assume I was talking about the other two that posted.

PossibleSloth

Postby PossibleSloth » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:20 am UTC

I'm having trouble getting a read on people. I was getting a bad vibe from Rakysh. He seemed a little too aggressive going after F_C, although now it looks like he's backing down from that. I guess I'll wait to see what he says next.

I've had trouble getting any kind of reading from Andymeo. been quiet so far and the "don't want to bandwagon" vote was confusing.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:01 pm UTC

I got some slight pings from Rakysh as well, but I am inclined to put that down as due to his posting more than everyone else so far.

I think it is more likely that the scum will be found amongst the group of players who really haven't contributed much so far, which is unfortunately a rather large group. The reasoning here is that newbie players who are scum are often not quite sure what sort of things others pick up on to figure out who is scum and therefore are afraid to say anything of substance.

So, suggestions for making some posts of substance:
1. Provide another analysis of roles and/or flavor text (it's still not too late to do this)
2. Using the player list, perform a quick re-read and jot down your thoughts on each player (I hope to do this myself sometime in the next couple days)
3. Selecting one or two players, thoroughly examine all their posts and then comment on any inconsistencies / items of interest / possible scumtells / etc.

Finally, I agree with Martin that the anti-role-claiming our mod mentioned is most likely along the lines of a 1-shot unblockable kill to prevent a simple "follow the cop" strategy (where the cop makes himself known early in the game so that the doctor can protect him, which works up until the doctor dies). That actually gives me an idea of what we should do tomorrow in order to give townies the most information without giving scum too much.

Here is what we can post tomorrow: "Now, I am not saying that I am the cop, but if I do end up dead and it turns out I really was, you should know that I investigated <player> on N1 and (s)he is <alignment>." Obviously, since scum know who they are, any player that claims they investigated one of the mafia and got a result of town (or possibly vice versa, although the SK obfuscates this a bit) would be quickly identified as not-a-cop. But, hopefully, there would be enough "correct" false claims to hide the identity of the actual cop so that scum would not be sure of whom to target with unblockable kill.
Kipper wrote:SERIOUSLY. Listen to MoA, he knows his stuff. . . High five MoA!
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:46 pm UTC

MoA that's genius. Haven't had any inspiration for a lynch yet though.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:47 pm UTC

EBWOP: Although, if someone picks a scum for their scum guess, they could be for the chop :S.

PossibleSloth

Postby PossibleSloth » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:21 pm UTC

I don't know about MoA's plan. All I can see it doing is flooding the game with WIFOM and helping the mafia find out who the cop is. I think it's up to the cop to decide how and when to reveal their results. It should be possible to leave subtle hints in such a way that if the cop dies, we can determine their investigations by analyzing their posts.

Still, if everyone else is in favor, I'll go along. It'll certainly give us a lot to talk about afterward, I just don't think it'll be particularly helpful.

I've only got a few minutes right now, but I agree with MoA that it would be helpful if people posted their thoughts on each of the other players. It will at least give us more to work from on D2.

Flying_Cookie

Postby Flying_Cookie » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:48 pm UTC

The only way I could really see that being helpful is if everyone just picked some one, and at the beginning of Day 2 said 'I investigated [insert name here] and they are [insert alignment here], and then we proceeded to ignore all of it, until the cop dies, then we would know that what they said was right. It seems like it could work to the scums advantage though, since they would kill anyone who got a 'read' on them as scum. Or maybe not, since then it might give it away. Yay wine!
Flying_CookieTM

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:59 pm UTC

Where the fuck is Furioso?

I'll get back later with some analysis, hopefully there'll be something interesting to see.

In the meantime,
unvote: Rhyme
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:02 pm UTC

EBWOP: I unvoted because, even if she has only made a single post, I'm not really doing much voting for her, at least for now.
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.

Rhyme

Postby Rhyme » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:04 pm UTC

I don't think (if we go with MoA's plan) that we shouldn't take what everyone has said into account when choosing the day's lynch victim, or even pay attention to it at all. The idea (as far as I can see) is that after everyone has spoken their investigation results, we just go on as though nothing actually happened and attempt to use logic to lynch, unless the cop happens to die, in which case we know their investigation.

Pros would be an investigation result if the ability gets through even if the cop dies before claiming, and hopefully enough confusion to keep him or her alive longer than a claim would, if there's an unblockable kill or a role-block. Cons are that the scum can do a pretty good job of narrowing down who the cop is, if enough of our faked investigations are wrong. They just need to look at who was right, and then there aren't so many people they need to guess from. Of course, the mafia probably wouldn't want to waste an unblockable kill on a possible cop if they have a limited number, (one hopes so, as otherwise it would make a doctor useless,) but said doctor would need to guess who would be targeted, and without most of the information on who was right and who wasn't.

Just assuming that a claim equals death or uselessness the next night (since there's quite probably something out there to stop a follow-the-cop) and that the scum have a somewhat better-than-random chance if forced to pick between people to kill, I don't know how much of a benefit it would be. Anyone feel like doing the math? (I might try later, if no-one else does once my head stops hurting, but I seem to have expended my weekly brainpower allotment (as far as I'm concerned, the week starts on Monday) so there's no guarantee of accuracy.)

Rhyme

Postby Rhyme » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:09 pm UTC

Ninja'd, ninja'd and ninja'd. Wonderful. This forum usually tells me when someone else has posted before I submit... It was probably the FireFox crash, that seems to make the most sense. When I restored the closed tabs, it (thankfully) saved everything I had typed, but I guess it also reloaded, and assumed that I didn't need to be told about the new posts because of that. Ah well. Sorry about that.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:36 pm UTC

In fact...I'm also out of brainpower, due to exams (Math tomorrow x.x). I'll see what I can do.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:13 am UTC

Flying_Cookie wrote:The only way I could really see that being helpful is if everyone just picked some one, and at the beginning of Day 2 said 'I investigated [insert name here] and they are [insert alignment here], and then we proceeded to ignore all of it, until the cop dies, then we would know that what they said was right.

Well um... that's kinda the plan. We're not supposed to believe all of them. & if the cop DOES get a scum as scum, then gets killed, hey, at least we got one scum.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:14 pm UTC

Yeah, Rakysh has the right idea, although *I* do not plan to completely disregard what people claim until they actually die, as there will be some things to think about with regards to why Player A chose Player B for false cop claim.

I admittedly was not too descriptive in my post where I floated the concept out there, but
1) I thought it would make for interesting conversation while you figured out the ramifications of what I suggested
2) I thought that how players would respond might give some indication of who's scum
3) I knew I could always clarify with a later post.

So, to make it clear, the main benefit from this strategy of mass false cop claims is that the actual cop can get investigation results out in the open without becoming an automatic target for kill. This way, even if the cop's investigation returns a town result and the cop ends up dead before having another investigation opportunity, at least SOME useful info (hoping that town target is still alive) was passed along.

Of course, this will only work if a majority of us are on board and make false claims, so that the real cop can feel safe. And, while I admit that there are risks of giving scum information they would not otherwise get, I do think that the rewards outweigh the risks.

Also, you might be interested to know that this is not the first game I have proposed this sort of thing, as I tried it way back in OOTD's Anonymous Mini (I was xk8999), where it probably would have worked a LOT better if the cop knew he was a cop and actually had investigated anyone! (That game had some SERIOUS lurkerage problems and is an example of why I think replacement is a much better solution than modkilling, as modkills by far outnumbered lynches and NK's and brought along the endgame way too soon, and also is an example of how lazy people cannot be expected to actively participate in an anonymous game.) I have just been waiting for the right sort of game set-up to test out the mass false cop claim idea again, and I think we should give it a try here.
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:12 am UTC

Ok. You've had your time. The day will end on Saturday at Midnight EST.

Also, I prodded furioso. If need be he will be replaced.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:21 am UTC

Okay, that is not the sort of deadline to get panicked about quite yet. I would like to think that between now and Saturday we should be able to root out some sort of valid lynch target.

In the meantime, Furioso does seem to be completely MIA (having posted 0 times since confirming). I have sent a PM to our mod asking for a modprod, but that could result in Furioso coming back and joining us, or in a replacement player, or in a modkill.

Are the rest of us all active at this point? (I haven't had a chance yet to do my re-read yet, where it would be obvious to me if there is another lurker/inactive player, but still hope to get to it soon.)
(not funny, but true)
(ditto for this one)

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:18 pm UTC

Saturday....
I will try to post something tonight....This is a busy week for me. At least I'll have Friday afternoon and Saturday to check out everything.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:32 pm UTC

PEOPLES AS IS POSTING:
1. MartinW: 7 posts
2. Flying_Cookie: 11 posts
3. OMGLOLZORS: 8 posts
4. Rhyme: 4 posts
5. Weeks: 20 posts
6. Rakysh: 23 posts (friends? I don't need FRIENDS.)
7. Andymeo: 9 posts
8. Furioso: 2 posts (sign up and confirmation)
9. Senefen: 7 posts
10. PossibleSloth: 5 posts
11. MasterofAll: 11 posts
12. Avelion: 8 posts

It has been a long day, it is possible these are not as true as they should be.

Flying_Cookie

Postby Flying_Cookie » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:35 am UTC

Is that counting any post at all, or just posts with real significance. As in, not counting the confirming or couple word posts (like the tea posts)?
Flying_CookieTM

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:00 am UTC

Any posts, but basically everyone IS posting other than Furioso, to varying degrees.

Flying_Cookie

Postby Flying_Cookie » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:13 am UTC

True enough, I guess it would only really matter for the people who only have 5 or so posts anyway, but those two people (PS and Rhyme) I remember actually saying stuff. I guess I'll go reread the thread tomorrow, see what I can find.
Flying_CookieTM

OMGLOLZORS

Postby OMGLOLZORS » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:10 pm UTC

We really need to get this started. Just to eliminate a potential lurker and to get things started really, I'm going to
Vote: Furioso

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:27 pm UTC

I'm cool with Rhyme, as s/he's a rep.

Vote:Furioso seems to be the way forward; the deadline is looming somewhat.

Avelion

Postby Avelion » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:06 pm UTC

Vote: Furioso

I'll be glad to get past day 1.
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Cory Doctorow

MartinW

Postby MartinW » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:50 pm UTC

I'm not totally against a Furioso lynch (it has some good points mentioned), but wouldn't it be more productive to get a replacement? Lurking is essentially random, and thus more likely to hit a townie than not. In fact, I think it'd serve well as an easy lynch for scum to get on and justify D2.

Rhyme

Postby Rhyme » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:31 pm UTC

I'd like the day to last a bit longer, but if the mods can't/won't find a replacement, killing Furioso might be for the best.

Oh, and it appears that no-one wants to do the math for MoA's plan, but either way, it would be best to decide if we're going to follow through with it or not. [If only some of us post our cop results, and the real cop is among those who do, that's narrowing down the list even more. If the cop isn't among them, of course, it could give the scum problems with WIFOM, but we don't get the result if they die, either. Also, there is the possibility that our cop would give a fake result to keep themself safe if everyone posted results, and that would be great for keeping them alive, but could really end badly for us if said cop ended up dead without telling us that their investigation was actually a lie... (Though we could have a person say, if they were about to get lynched "well if I am the cop than follow/disregard previous advice, but that doesn't help with an NK).]

Oh, and the constant bandwagoning has caused my scumdar to place Avelion somewhere between Jester and Mafia, though as this is only my second online game, with the first one spent almost entirely trying to figure out who the cop was (with a bit of risk-of-false-claim-analysis at the end), it might well not be reliable, and I'm probably prejudiced.

That's about all that's on my mind at the moment.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:40 pm UTC

Furioso hasnt responded. ill find a replacement tonight and let you all know.

Flying_Cookie

Postby Flying_Cookie » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:34 am UTC

I'd be up for a Furioso lynch, but since it looks like hes getting replaced, it seems like there isn't a need for it.
Rhyme wrote:...
Oh, and the constant bandwagoning has caused my scumdar to place Avelion somewhere between Jester and Mafia, though as this is only my second online game, with the first one spent almost entirely trying to figure out who the cop was (with a bit of risk-of-false-claim-analysis at the end), it might well not be reliable, and I'm probably prejudiced.

As this is a newbie game, the point is to learn the ropes. We're all (most of us) inexperienced here, so if you have a gut feeling, I'd say go for it, you'll learn something if your right or wrong. I guess I might be prejudiced towards that though, since I find Avelion a bit off as well.
Flying_CookieTM

Avelion

Postby Avelion » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:04 am UTC

Unvote: Furioso

With a replacement search ongoing this is unnecessary. I apologize for the bandwagoning, but I don't see how we're supposed to make a valid vote on the first day. It seems to me that whoever we pick will be at random and I figured we may as take out people who don't care.

Flying_Cookie

Postby Flying_Cookie » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:08 am UTC

Its quite true that we are most likely going to have to bandwagon day one, so I'm not looking much into it. There isn't really anything wrong with it persay, but people can still find it suspicious.
Flying_CookieTM

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:41 am UTC

Okay, finally got around to doing my re-read. Here are my (unedited) notes that I took while doing it . . .
Spoiler:
1. MartinW - provided 1st role analysis, is looking for more scum than me; had some strange thoughts on lovers, generally helpful posts
2. Flying_Cookie - mostly agrees with Martin, some more agreeing, voted Avelion to stimulate discussion, but without providing a reason, pointed out Rhyme bandwagon was forming without even a valid reason, can tell when a post was made (unlike Rakysh), 3rd to comment on my mass false cop claim idea (maybe onboard?)
3. OMGLOLZORS - provided 2nd role analysis, did good job on it (IMHO), reasonable stance on Rhyme
4. Rhyme - finally checks in with a healthy-length post, 4th to comment on my mass false cop claim idea (has potential but wants someone to crunch numbers on it), wants us to decide if we are going to try it or not.
5. Weeks - valid contribution on lovers, but not much else useful, started bandwagon on Rhyme, pointed out Furioso's complete lack of participation, although has plenty of recent posts has no comment on mass false cop claim idea
6. Rakysh - 1st to analyze win conditions, slight scum pings all game, seems a bit trigger happy, and then calls out Cookie for being "lynchery", 1st to comment on my mass false cop claim idea (liked it)
7. Andymeo - simple "I agree post", small contribution about roles, voted Furioso instead of jumping on Rhyme bandwagon
8. Furioso - complete lurker
9. Senefen - valid contribution on lovers, 2nd on Rhyme bandwagon, poor defense of why bandwagonning is okay
10. PossibleSloth - 1st to use 7-way-money-split, made some useful contributions to conversation, 2nd to comment on my mass false cop claim idea (unsure if it is wise)
11. MasterofAll
12. Avelion - 3rd on Rhyme bandwagon, apologized for lack on contribution, but didn't actually post anything of substance, again totally willing to jump on a lynch-a-lurker bandwagon (for Furioso this time)

Even with the re-read, I am having a bit of trouble figuring out who is really acting scummy and who is just a new player acting like a new player. With that said, at this point I could support a Rakysh lynch, or a Senefen lynch, or an Avelion lynch. I can provide my reasoning on why those 3 if anyone cares.
(not funny, but true)
(ditto for this one)

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:49 am UTC

Oh, I also meant to say that we really don't have to decide today whether to use the mass false cop claim strategy, as we can push the idea off until tomorrow (when there will likely be 2 less of us around). But, since I was the one who suggested it, I am fully willing to give it a try, even if we can not get full commitment from everyone (I think if that a mass false claim bandwagon gets rolling tomorrow we can apply some pressure to those who have not yet jumped on it).

I just wanted to be sure to get the idea out today, just in case I do not survive to see D2.

Of course, if anyone does have any thoughts on the idea they would like to share, there is no need to wait, so go ahead and get them out now.
(not funny, but true)
(ditto for this one)

dedalus

Postby dedalus » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:09 am UTC

Ok, I think I'm replacing furioso. Haven't gotten the role just yet, but letting you all know.
doogly wrote:Oh yea, obviously they wouldn't know Griffiths from Sakurai if I were throwing them at them.

dedalus

Postby dedalus » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:02 am UTC

EBWOP: Just put two and two together and realised that I'm going to be gone till tuesday if I do replace. So I might not be replacing after all. If I am I apologise in advance.
doogly wrote:Oh yea, obviously they wouldn't know Griffiths from Sakurai if I were throwing them at them.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:41 am UTC

The trigger happy accusation is fair; I can only say I'm a bit rusty, and also slightly impatient to get going. I tend to give off slight scum pings all the time as a rule; I can only say I'm working on it.

Kolko

Postby Kolko » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:13 pm UTC

Dedalus has replaced Furioso. Because of this the votecount has been reset and the deadline has been extended to friday next week.
Environ 20% plus chouette.

Avelion

Postby Avelion » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:58 pm UTC

Personally, I don't see how the mass investigation claim will help. It seems like it would give more information to scum than anyone else by narrowing down the cop to whoever guessed correctly. Unless, of course, even the cop gave a false result, but that wouldn't stimulate any progress. What would happen if we were all to make a random non-scum role-claim tomorrow?

Return to “Mafia”