The Legend of Mafia Manor: Newbie Round- Iz ded.

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Rakysh

Re: The Legend of Mafia Manor: Newbie Round- Roles Out!

Postby Rakysh » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:04 pm UTC

*watches it*
(Only for spellin, sah.)

And at time of post, Oh me yarm and Herr Cookie hadn't posted in confirmation, merely in anticipation of conformation in confirmation. As it stands, the list should read

Updated Rakysh wrote:So we're waiting on
2. Flying_Cookie
4. Dark_matter365
7. Andymeo

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:12 pm UTC

Rakysh wrote:
2. Flying_Cookie
4. Dark_matter365
7. Andymeo

Flying_Cookie wrote:Confirming
o.O
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:57 pm UTC

I'll make an official post announcing when you all may start. You'll know it when you see it.

This is not it.

Andymeo

Postby Andymeo » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:02 pm UTC

Confirming Role Received

Andymeo

Postby Andymeo » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:43 am UTC

So were Waiting on

Dark_matter365

Andymeo

Postby Andymeo » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:50 am UTC

EBWOP

*We're

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:03 am UTC

Weeks wrote:
Rakysh wrote:
2. Flying_Cookie
4. Dark_matter365
7. Andymeo

Flying_Cookie wrote:Confirming
o.O

0_0

Oh shi-

Sorry.. I be blind, apparently.

Sir with the roflcopter in your sig... I'm really sorry, but you couldn't spoiler it, could you? It's just a bit like... woah...

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:32 pm UTC

Have considered mod-prodding Dark_matter365? I'm sorry for being so impatient, I'm just ridiculously looking forward to this- I haven't mafia'd since august, and the decidedly epic flavour text has me incredibly excited.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:14 am UTC

Vote: Rakysh

Overeager scum is overeager. :mrgreen:

Unvote (Rakysh)

And that last post by CF was totally telling us to get started, right? Right? Am I right, or am I right, or am I right? I think I must be right.
Kipper wrote:SERIOUSLY. Listen to MoA, he knows his stuff. . . High five MoA!
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:40 am UTC

I sent a prod. But...now that I think of it...I'm pretty sure that when you send a PM to two people if one of them reads it it shows as being read. So since I sent it to Kolko as well...I'll give him another day or so seeing as it's Christmas or something...

Dark_matter365

Postby Dark_matter365 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:32 am UTC

sorry i'm backing out :(

Andymeo

Postby Andymeo » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:47 am UTC

Dark_matter365 wrote:sorry i'm backing out :(

So can we start now???

pleeeeeeeeeeeeease

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:48 am UTC

We'll need a replacement, I think. Obv it's up to CF, but missing out a character can really upset the balance.

Andymeo

Postby Andymeo » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:15 am UTC

Rakysh wrote:We'll need a replacement, I think. Obv it's up to CF, but missing out a character can really upset the balance.

I agree

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:21 pm UTC

Yeah. We'll find a replacement quickly. This is the part of Mafia that isn't fun at all, but at least it's only one person right?

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:25 pm UTC

Yeah, and props to him for bowing out now rather than a few days in.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:05 pm UTC

Ok, Rhyme has replaced Darkmatter. So once he confirms we should be good to go. Thanks for the pseudo-patience.

Rhyme

Postby Rhyme » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:14 pm UTC

Alright, confirming now.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:28 pm UTC

crucialityfactor wrote:Ok, Rhyme has replaced Darkmatter. So once she confirms we should be good to go. Thanks for jumping all over my back when the game did not start instantly after you signed up.
fix'd and fix'd

Since I was the mod of the most recent Newbie game, I know that Rhyme is female (or at least she was a few weeks ago).

There are a whole batch of new players is this game, so please let us know if any of you prefer to be identified by female pronouns (not that it will entirely prevent some of us from still getting gender pronouns wrong from time to time).

Also, can we get an official okay to start now?
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:40 pm UTC

As day broke the next morning, the guests slowly arose from their slumber. Others hadn't slept at all, some out of habit others out of fear and still even more were conspiring. With glassy eyes and foggy minds they each wondered if they had just dreamed of the ghostly events from the night before.

Unsure of what to do next, the guests slowly trickled in to the dining room where they were surprised to find the table full of food. So naturally, they all sat down and began to eat in silence. Each person gazing around the table, sizing each other up. Wondering to themselves who they could really trust. At one point the tension became too unbearable for one of the guests. He suddenly shot up, knocking his chair to the floor and screamed:

??? wrote:I can't take it anymore! I'm going to die here! I just know it! I gotta get out of here! I don't even want the money!

And with that, he took off. Tearing his way out of the dinning room and out into the hall towards the front door. The hallway was longer than he expected and he didn't seem to be getting any closer to the door. Looking back over his shoulder he realized that the hall appeared to have stretched and grown and was now hundreds of feet longer than it previously was. Understanding that the house would let him go no further he stopped running. Which was not a smart idea in retrospect. For those who have stretched a rubber band beyond its limit will know the pains of when it snaps back into your face.

Well this is what happened, only it was a house. With a creak and a groan the hallways snapped back to its original size sending our mystery man flying into the staircase. Then a voice rang out:

What did I tell you about trying to escape?! Let this be a lesson to you! I won't be so kind the next time this happens.

There are 12 of you. 7 votes will do for a lynch.

Day 1 Go!

But seriously...most impatient players ever.
Last edited by crucialityfactor on Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Weeks

Re: The Legend of Mafia Manor: Newbie Round- Day 1

Postby Weeks » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:17 pm UTC

Anyone want a cup of tea? I have cinnamon and Earl tea.
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.

OMGLOLZORS

Postby OMGLOLZORS » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:57 pm UTC

That would be nice. I'll have cinnamon, please.

MartinW

Postby MartinW » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:18 pm UTC

Well, let's get going. I think we should start by dissecting this lovely informative flavour text.

One of the things that strike me is that we possibly have an insane cop and a sane cop, viz. Walter Hudgins and Detective Paul I. Gardens. This is a common mod strategy to prevent a 'Follow the Cop' scenario (In which the cop claims, and is protected by doc while leading the town. This is technically balanced, but not much fun or good learning fodder). Or, the more likely it seems to me, we have a normal cop and Walter is a special cop who only detects a certain non-town role (the 'elusive criminal'). This is also used, and usually the cop searches for a Serial Killer or similar role (Which, AFAIK the normal cop would find town).

The obvious thing to notice is that we have two groups of mafia (North and South). This makes for much more fun, as the one mafia will try to catch the other mafia and get them lynched. This'll help them appear favourable to the actual townies. So be on the lookout for players who only lynch members of one mafia, and defends members of another. The Mafia will also try to nightkill each other.

But it seems as if there are much more North than South (3 to 1). I assume the only South one has been blessed with an awesome role to balance (his text mentions: "These poor saps have no idea what they've gotten themselves into..."). I might even guess cult, as they commonly start with 1 member. This might be what's mentioned with "take full control over his city".

Vincent "The Schemer" Drucci strikes me as a normal goon ("quitisential mobster"). Earl "Hymie" Weiss strikes me as a Godfather, with him being immune to investigations due to a use of deception.

George "Bugs" Moran I think may be a hitman like character, with a once off unstoppable kill (fits the "It is almost assured that during their stay Hymie will throw Bugs "one"..." part). For balance reasons I think using this kill might kill Bugs.

Then it seems that we have some lovers. Judging from the flavour text it seems Beau Stafford is town. (He's happy to split the money seven ways, which seems to be a split among townies). But I'm guessing that Molly Creighton is not town, as she wants to buy the cake and honeymoon of her dreams, and thus seems less willing to split with other townies. I'm guessing she might be on the South side, to balance them out a bit.

Colin Aames seems to be a survivor. Though he also gives me vague feelings of a Paranoid Gun Owner (he'll do anything to stay alive, and seems like the kind of person who'll buy a gun and be trigger happy), who'll kill anyone who uses a night action on him.

Doctor Young seems to me to be a normal town doc. Though the Vet bit might be linked to the Rodeo Accident (both include animals).

Professor Bautlekar is a bit odd. He strikes me as an inventor, though not neccesarily a town one. I think he might be linked to the Rodeo Accident and be who Walter is searching for, as he isn't connected with any other players and he doesn't strike me as a survivor.

Flying_Cookie

Postby Flying_Cookie » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:46 am UTC

Most of MartinW's post seems to make sense to me.

Walter Hudgins seems to be an insane cop from the flavor, but because of that isn't it likely that he isn't? Otherwise they would guess that they are insane, and there wouldn't be any problems. So I think its more likely that hes a special cop.

I've never had a game with lovers before, so can someone explain how they usually play out in games (If anyone knows)? (I get the idea about if one dies the other usually dies as well) But I really don't see how one could be with the mafia and one town. Since town has to kill all the mafia, and the town lover dies with the scum lover dies, then the town lover can't win, since they have to kill the scum lover, but then they die. And winnable roles seem unlikely in general, and even more so in Newbie Games.
Flying_CookieTM

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:28 am UTC

Flying_Cookie wrote:I really don't see how one could be with the mafia and one town.
Couldn't one be just independent? Like jester or something?

Senefen

Postby Senefen » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:08 am UTC

I've heard of ones where, for example, the guy wins if the girl survives to the end. Regardless of if the guy dies or not.

Let the paranoid finger pointing begin.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:34 am UTC

I would point my finger to MartinW, because he's dependable for the newbies, thus might obtain some advantage out of it. But it's kinda early.

Avelion

Postby Avelion » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:09 am UTC

I would also like some tea. Earl grey please.
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Cory Doctorow

Andymeo

Postby Andymeo » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:39 am UTC

I agree with MartinW's assessment of how things stand.

Is no-lynching a viable option??

I've looked around the forums and they seem to suggest not. Just asking cos I'm a noobie and this is my first game online.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:20 am UTC

If a majority vote to no lynch then no lynch will be made.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:49 am UTC

Option? Yes.

Viable? For certain values of viable.

Really, voting no-lynch is generally disparaged here because we like to think that even on day one we can pick up scumtells. And, really, having a day one lynch to refer back to later (with who voted for whom and why) often does play a large part in discussions throughout remainder of a game.

It is generally acknowledged, however, that there ARE some situations where no-lynch goes beyond merely viable to preferable. So, if you think you have a valid reason in a particular situation then feel free to share, but do not be too surprised if some other players end up calling your idea "horrible".

Regarding the roles in this game, Martin seems to have picked up on most of what jumped out at me (regarding 2 scum factions, the 2 cops of unknown variety, the rather vanilla sounding doctor, the obvious lovers with not obvious lover restraint/power/win condition, etc. However, he does seem to be looking for more scum than I was thinking there would be (as he mentioned a few times he thought it likely a particular role could be scum-aligned).

Anyway, keep up the conversation, and hopefully in the next couple days I will go back over the flavor text and role info provided to us to see if there is anything else useful there.
(not funny, but true)
(ditto for this one)

OMGLOLZORS

Re: The Legend of Mafia Manor: Newbie Round- Signup in Thread!

Postby OMGLOLZORS » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:30 am UTC

Time for some role speculation. Woooo!

crucialityfactor wrote:Dramatis Personae:

Al Capone
Famed leader of the South Side Chicago Outfit. No tears shed over the loss of Madame
Clio from this hardened crook. In fact, a twisted smile has adorned Capone's face since he
heard the news. This could be a BIG opportuinity for his Chicago Outfit to finally
take full control over his city. A chance to wipe out the leaders of the North Side
Gang is too good to pass up. And walking out of this one-horse town with the Madame's
fortune would just be icing on the cake. These poor saps have no idea what they've
gotten themselves into...

I can see this being some kind of serial killer, as he seems to be in the south side mafia on his own... however, it is possible that there could be two opposing factions of mafia or even a cult, although I'm not sure a cult is that likely as there was no mention of a cult in the first post where it listed the different win conditions...

Beau Stafford
High School sweetheart of the lovely Miss Molly Creighton. Works hard as a construction
worker to provide for his dearest Molly. Beau doesn't make much money, but it's enough.
Even splitting the money 7 ways would be more than enough to give Molly the wedding she
deserves. It would also allow Beau to get a job less physically and time demanding while
still living comfortably with the woman he loves. Beau would do anything for Molly and has
often said that he would "die without her"...

I think this is quite clearly the lover, and almost certainly village sided.

Colin Aames
Younger brother of Madame Aames. Spent most of his life under the shadow of his
overly aggressive sister. Became more and more reserved and cautious as he aged
eventually becoming estranged from his own family just to get away from Madame
Aames. Fled to Twin Bridges when he turned 16 and lived a quiet life there until
his long lost sister showed up. Once again cast under her watchful eye Colin has
all but become a shut-in, rarely venturing out even into the small community
surrounding him. Some say he is the one who sold out his sister's location in
order to be finally rid of her. Those who know him better know this to be
impossible. Colin's only aim in life was to keep to himself and to survive. It
is rumored that he never sleeps...

I'd say that this was just a regular survivor, but the 'he never sleeps' part makes me think otherwise. He could possibly be some kind of paranoid gun owner, or even a kind of watcher? We might want to be careful...

Detective Paul I. Gardens
Paul I. Gardens doesn't know the meaning of the word irony. But that doesn't keep
him from being a great police officer. Det. Gardens loves Twin Bridges, and will
do anything under his jurisdiction to protect the law-abiding citizens that make
up his community. Despite being a small-town cop Det. Gardens is extremely level-
headed and fair. Age, Race and Creed mean very little him. There are two type of
people in Det. Gardens' world. Those who follow the law, and those who don't. If
you are in the latter group, you do not want to get in Paul I. Gardens way...

It's fairly obvious that this is just an ordinary cop, but I suppose you can never be sure.

Doctor Young
Dr. Young's list of achievements seem to go on forever. High School Valedictorian,
first in her class at UCLA Med, published to all of the most prestigious medical
journals before she turned 20. None of these stack up to her desire to help the
sick. This is why she passsed up offers from hospitals in every major city across
the globe in preference of opening up a private practice in the small town of
Twin Bridges, Montana. Passing through she noticed that the town physician was also
the town Vet, and much better suited for the latter than the former. Since that day
it has been her duty to heal the people of Twin Bridges...

Again, I think this is just going to be an ordinary doctor.

Earl "Hymie" Weiss
Earl Wojciechowski dropped his Polish name and picked up a Jewish one. In doing
so be became one of the most dangerous men in Chicago. The rage of losing his
longtime friend and former leader Dean O'Banion still burns strong within Hymie's
soul. If he still has one at least. He will not rest until he gets back what he
believes to belong to himself, and more importantly, to his long lost friend.
Hymie is a master of deception. Despite having a Jewish moniker he is actually
quite Catholic...

Now for this, I am almost certain this is some kind of Godfather role, because of the fact that it mentions that he is a 'master of deception'. This suggets that he might be able to deceive people i.e. the cops!

George "Bugs" Moran
Born Adelard Cunin, Bugs found good reasons to change his name at an early age.
Being incarcerated three times before your 21st birthday will give a guy a
reputation. Needless to say Bugs lives up to his nickname...with gusto. It takes
Hymie all his power to keep this powder-keg of rage under control. But keeping
a man like Bugs under lockdown is not only impossible, but a waste of a great
killing talent. It is almost assured that during their stay Hymie will throw
Bugs "one"...

I can imagine this role as being one of a few things... it could either just be a normal mafioso, but I'm slightly inclined to believe it may be some kind of mafia strongman (can kill through protection) or possibly a mafia doublekiller (once in the game can kill an extra person).

Miss Allens
Classic small town story. Was born in Twin Bridges; grew up in Twin Bridges;
currently lives in Twin Bridges. And now it is very likely she will die in Twin
Bridges. She has never left her little town, except for that one time when she
attended her Cousin's wedding in Chinook. But she didn't much care for "those Big
City People". She lives a mostly quiet life, alone in her house with her pet
Pronghorn, Liam. Do not let this description fool you, Miss Allens is quite the
busy-body. She can tell you the goings on of just about every citizen to live in
Twin Bridges in the past 30 years. All of these strangers will surely have Miss
Allens working overtime...

I can see this as some kind of investigative role such as tracker, watcher, or rolecop, being narratively explained by the fact that she is always snooping about. However, she might be bearing some kind of personal grudge against big city people, and might even be a lyncher.

Molly Creighton
High School Sweetheart of Beau Stafford. The two are inseperable. Was recently proposed
to and aims to live the rest of her life by the side of the man she loves. Winning the
money would buy the two the wedding (and honeymoon) of their dreams, as well as secure
them financially for life. She claims that she would not be able to go on living without
her Beau...

This is the other lover. If one of them is mafia, I can see it being this one.

Professor Bautlekar
One would think that having an unfortunate last name would be enough for one child growing
up. But no! Professor B. (as he prefers to be called by his students) decided to become a
man of Science. Running experiments and building contraptions that explain the world around
him is his passion. His profession, Community College Professor. If he could win this money
Professor B. could give up teaching for good and pursue his goals of unlocking the secrets
of the Universe! Oh by the way, it's pronounced Bot-Leh-Car...

This is almost definitely some kind of inventor role.
Vincent "The Schemer" Drucci
Born Vincenzo D'Ambrosio in Caltagirone, Sicily, The Schemer is the quitisential
mobster. Bank heists, kidnappings, The Schemer does it all. And he does it all without
question. What's good for the North Siders is good for the Schemer. That's why The Schemer
is Hymie's go to guy. He'll be sure to see a lot of action over the next few days...

I think this may just be a mafioso...

Walter Hudgins
Former Officer of the Law for the quiet town of Twin Bridges. His mental capacity
has sharply declined due to a combination of old age and lack of proper police work.
It eventually led to a horrific tradgey including the accidental crippling of Twin
Bridges' claim to fame; rodeo champion Benny Reynolds. Walter was subsequently
stripped of his badge and became a social pariah. Due to his ever worsening
senility Walter relizes none of this and still roams the streets of Twin Bridges
looking for his elusive criminal. Perhaps this is finally his chance...

This one, however, is quite tricky to guess. It could be a senile cop who gets all guilty or all wrong results. It could be a lyncher who is trying to get somebody lynched who they believe is their 'elusive criminal'. It might even be some kind of special cop, who can pick out the 'elusive criminal'.

Flying_Cookie

Postby Flying_Cookie » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:39 am UTC

Weeks wrote:
Flying_Cookie wrote:I really don't see how one could be with the mafia and one town.
Couldn't one be just independent? Like jester or something?

That was mostly directed at the idea of one of them being part of the hypothetical Southern Mafia than anything. And jester-lover seems really evil.

Senefen wrote:I've heard of ones where, for example, the guy wins if the girl survives to the end. Regardless of if the guy dies or not.

Ah thanks, so its usually a bit more than 'Person A dies if Person B dies, and Person B dies if Person A dies'.

I just noticed that you can add quotes to a message by pressing the Quote button on the topic review section of a posting page. That would have saved me a lot of typing.
Flying_CookieTM

MartinW

Postby MartinW » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:48 pm UTC

About lovers on two sides, I speak under correction but I think they can either as lovers or with their respective sides. They also don't die immediately after their love, but kill themselves the next night.

So if the game ends on the two lovers and a townie, the townie lover can win both by voting with the other mafia against the town or by voting with the town against the other mafia. The same goes, I think, for a similar situation which the mafia lover is the last mafia and has to nightkill.

The lovers can also, I think, after dying win with their side like a normal townie/mafia would.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:49 pm UTC

MartinW, what do you think about Miss Allens? You omitted her in your post.

MartinW

Postby MartinW » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:10 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:MartinW, what do you think about Miss Allens? You omitted her in your post.

*Checks back.* Oh, I did! Well, I think she's a town information gathering role of some sort. Busy-body seems to me to mean either a watcher (sees who targets a person, though not what they do) or a follower (sees who a particular person targets). Though it seems to me more likely to be a watcher, as passive observation instead of actively following someone sounds more like her kind of thing.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:49 pm UTC

Role speculation is pretty much as I've got, except that win conditions at the start are given for lynchers, jesters, SKs and Other. While this might be the mod messing with us, I would guess that Al Capone would count as the SK, being on his own. Walter Hudgins could maybe be the lyncher, with that elusive criminal, although Miss Allens could conceivably be the lyncher too. As to who is jester, I got nothing, which partially makes me doubt the existence of a lyncher. Colin Aames could be, I suppose, but survivor seems more likely to me, with what other people have said. Other also has me stumped.

Pro-town lovers tend to be useful in the endgame, I seem to recall, as they can vouch for each other, which kinda puts pressure on the Mafia to claim lovers as well, which makes them easier to nail down.

I'm doubting Hudgins being a insane or paranoid or whatever because s/he'd be able to figure that out fairly easily, having seen the roletext.

My first instinct is not to no-lynch, because the info we get from voting and stuff is good, and we've got a one in three chance of hitting scum just on the odds.

CF- we are sorry for being impatient. As I said, it's just cos the flavour text was so awesome, we all really wanted to play.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:08 pm UTC

I've been thinking about this, and I'd like to light FoS Oh me yarm. Partly for lack of anything better, but reposting basically what Martin said seems a little bit like scum trying to appear helpful, maybe.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:16 pm UTC

Speaking of light FoSing, I'd like to know when the deadline is.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:21 pm UTC

N.o dealiney.et if you all start taking to long or are being lazy i will impose one

Man...i hate my phone and the dumb things it does.

Return to “Mafia”