Whackabanana: The Mod is Dead. Long live Militant Atheists

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

willwithskills

Re: Whackabanana: Day 2 - Bulletproof Ninjas

Postby willwithskills » Thu May 27, 2010 5:20 am UTC

b.i.o wrote:Nice doctoring, whoever's doing it!

In my experience, the first person to say something like this is either scum or the doctor himself. The funny thing is, there is nothing i the flavor that really suggests a success by the doctor. The mysterious victim had a bulletproof vest on, which suggests one of two things. There have been cases where there is a type of doctor who basically goes around and puts bulletproof vests on people, but it is rare. Otherwise, the scum might have just been unlucky and hit a townie who is immune to night kills, either once or for the entire game. This means that you probably aren't a doctor, and that leaves scum. Of course, this isn't a huge tell and definitely not enough to base a vote on, but IGMEOY.

As for the miller claim, I completely agree with Dr. Ug. The claim should have come early during day 1. Honestly, though, that doesn't make you seem anymore scummy than a miller would anyway. Hopefully we didn't waste an investigation on you, but we should definitely be watching you closely because millers should never be trusted. However, I'm not going to vote for you yet, I want more evidence than just a late miller claim.

And one thing everyone seems to be forgetting:
RoadieRich wrote:Let me just say this: right guy, wrong reason. Vox, I had a feeling you were the traitor.

This is pretty darn incriminating. It could just be RoadieRich picking a random townie and trying to make them seem like a mafia buddy, but I'm not entirely sure. He could just be a sore loser and wanted to out the traitor to is mafia buddies. In any case, Vox is pretty much town/indie/cult. He is either an innocent townie/indie/cult or he's the mafia traitor, in either case he's against the mafia. This makes me trust him more.
So it goes.

Dromtry wrote:
willwithskills wrote: I colored sufficiently large purpose on my tail end.

You have a large red hiney?

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Thu May 27, 2010 6:02 am UTC

No more rhyming! Yet. Yesterday it happened in the middle of the day, so I wouldn't declare myself out of the woods yet. >_>

(Okay, I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it...)

I agree, bulletproof vest seems more role-related than Doctor to me. Still, in a game this size, I'd say the lack of other deaths was suspicious if we hadn't had the daykill yesterday. Still potentially interesting, though.

As to the miller claim... yeah, it's a bit late for that. But, it's also a bit early (and risky) for a scum defense strategy, so on the whole-- yeah, I think I believe it. Unless he knew for sure he'd been investigated, it doesn't make much sense for scum. Not exactly the best townie move, either, but it's really townies who are more liable to make that kind of mistake.

Since Van isn't dead, I'm guessing he is not actually the mafia traitor. I suppose he could've done some fast-talking, or he could have been somehow immune, but still, I'm inclined to think it was just a last-ditch attempt at WIFOM. Felt that way at the time, doesn't seem less likely now.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Thu May 27, 2010 6:04 am UTC

willwithskills wrote:And one thing everyone seems to be forgetting:
RoadieRich wrote:Let me just say this: right guy, wrong reason. Vox, I had a feeling you were the traitor.

This is pretty darn incriminating. It could just be RoadieRich picking a random townie and trying to make them seem like a mafia buddy, but I'm not entirely sure. He could just be a sore loser and wanted to out the traitor to is mafia buddies. In any case, Vox is pretty much town/indie/cult. He is either an innocent townie/indie/cult or he's the mafia traitor, in either case he's against the mafia. This makes me trust him more.

It doesn't make me trust Vox, it creates an awful lot of WIFOM. Because RR knows that mafia openly hating someone makes them likely town, so is a good thing to do to a fellow mafia. But that line of reasoning, if followed by him, could make him say it of a town player. Etc. I do not think we should trust someone more because the scum says he/they thought he was the traitor.

And someone saw a group of people (Maybe scum, but by flavour, probably cult) taking someone else on board. Now whether that means that person knows the cults new member, or all of them, I don't know. But that same person then gave a knife to... someone. That's a bit suspicious, but I'm hoping Vig witht the help of someone who can see night actions.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Thu May 27, 2010 6:49 am UTC

willwithskills wrote:In my experience, the first person to say something like this is either scum or the doctor himself. The funny thing is, there is nothing i the flavor that really suggests a success by the doctor.

That's...err...a good point. Not really sure why I jumped to doctor there, I guess I just wasn't reading the flavor too carefully, saw no kills, and jumped to that as the most standard explanation.

As for saying it in the first place...yeah. I think I was just excited about the day starting again. :oops:

It could just be RoadieRich picking a random townie and trying to make them seem like a mafia buddy, but I'm not entirely sure.

I think this is exactly what happened, and I agree with Felltir here. I think RoadieRick was just trying to confuse us.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Thu May 27, 2010 7:09 am UTC

EBWOP: Vox is obviously who I meant in that last paragraph. Apologies for the typo there >_> I suppose the double-blind theory could make sense, as well... on the whole, I'm just inclined to dismiss the whole comment. Over a certain threshhold of WIFOM, it's just a waste of time that could be better spent elsewhere.

Silknor

Postby Silknor » Thu May 27, 2010 7:42 am UTC

willwithskills wrote:

In my experience, the first person to say something like this is either scum or the doctor himself. The funny thing is, there is nothing i the flavor that really suggests a success by the doctor. The mysterious victim had a bulletproof vest on, which suggests one of two things. There have been cases where there is a type of doctor who basically goes around and puts bulletproof vests on people, but it is rare. Otherwise, the scum might have just been unlucky and hit a townie who is immune to night kills, either once or for the entire game. This means that you probably aren't a doctor, and that leaves scum. Of course, this isn't a huge tell and definitely not enough to base a vote on, but IGMEOY.

As for the miller claim, I completely agree with Dr. Ug. The claim should have come early during day 1. Honestly, though, that doesn't make you seem anymore scummy than a miller would anyway. Hopefully we didn't waste an investigation on you, but we should definitely be watching you closely because millers should never be trusted. However, I'm not going to vote for you yet, I want more evidence than just a late miller claim.

And one thing everyone seems to be forgetting:

As for the bulletproof part, the day's title alone seems to indicate some sort of NK-resistant or immune role. However, given that Amy is currently (well was at the time she wrote the flavor, sorry Amy!) playing 1959 Mafia it is conceivable that the bulletproof flavor text indicates a doctor because in my game the doctors as a matter of flavor are not actual healers, but simply lenders of bullet proof vests. That seems to most plausible explanation for the inference of "good doctoring" but it seems less likely than simply a NK that failed due to an inherent property of the target.
Nikc wrote:Silknor is the JJ Abrams of mafia modding

Silknor

Postby Silknor » Thu May 27, 2010 7:43 am UTC

EBWOP: I accidentally typed the last portion of my post in a window I brought up for the quote and submitted it, here's the rest of my post.

Hi everyone! I'm replacing MaJ.

There's a few ways to think about the miller claim. I'll try to list all the possibilities I find somewhat likely:

1. Pete knows he was investigated. In this case, be he scum or miller, he has reasonable incentive to claim miller. This explains why it's on early D2, not D1. It however provides little clear evidence of alignment.

2. Pete does not know he was investigated and wants to live. This seems to be the assumption of everyone analyzing the claim so far. Again, you can try to infer alignment from the timing of it. I am not convinced that miller claim D1 is a good idea, as it is not necessarily an stable equilibrium strategy. Say millers always claim D1, and false miller claims are rare or non-existant. Then a miller claim basically tells the scum "I'm a weak opponent, there's no need to NK me." This improves scum odds of hitting a town power role if they accept it. If scum accept it, then power roles can consider claiming miller as a way of protecting themself, and millers should be less likely to claim than they are because while they may prevent a wasted investigation, they also increase the power of the NK. The strategy fails as a rule that can consistently be applied then. And if false miller claims are instead likely, then the benefit of claiming miller D1 is minimal to non-existant.

I see no reason why claiming miller day 2 before investigations are posted indicates townie. I can't come up with a reason why this would be the case, and if there is one then the scum could use it equally well.

3. Pete does not know he was investigated but wants to die. He could be a ghost who would prefer beyond the grave abilities to the ones of a miller or townie, or he could be some sort of jester (the latter being less likely given the mod I believe).

4. Probability. If you accept the preposition that Pete is either miller or scum, the inevitable conclusion is that lynching him is far more likely to hit a scum than at random. It is highly unlikely there is a large number of millers compared to scum. So if you don't think town non millers will claim miller, then the chance that Pete is scum rises given the claim. That doesn't mean I think the odds are better than 50:50 though, and that probability alone seems too weak for a lynch.

Silknor

Postby Silknor » Thu May 27, 2010 7:47 am UTC

Opps. Wrong thread. Also, since I'm still typing for some reason:
I can haz banana?

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu May 27, 2010 7:49 am UTC

I don't know what to think about RR's parting comment... after enough levels of Sicilian reasoning, my brain shuts down. Currently for me it's just shoved Vox into a "something interesting happened" category without any movement on the town/scum axis.

As for the flavour, I read it the same as Felltir... untangling the confusing pronouns, I get that a group of people, presumably the cult (which means either they can recruit with a dead leader, or there's more than one recruiting faction) has recruited person A, which was observed by person B, who told person C. A is presumably now a cultie, B has some kind of investigative powers, and knows the the identity of A, or one of the recruiters, or both (depending on who they were investigating and the scope of their power), and C now probably has some kind of kill power and potentially knows at least some of the information B uncovered (but potentially not). Also, a person D, independent of the preceeding, was targeted and was un-NKable... maybe still is, maybe not... whoever targed them can presumably figure out that it was their NK that failed and the identity of person D, unless there's the potential there were other failed NKs that weren't in the flavour (like a successful doctor or something).

Though, one point about the flavour: "Quickly realising they meant no harm"... could just be flavour about how cults can seem safe to draw people in, or could actually mean that the group isn't actually scum... Are there any common town-aligned roles that have recruitment powers? Masons, maybe?

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu May 27, 2010 7:57 am UTC

EBWOP for ninja: (Yes, that short post took me a long time to write, what of it?)
Silknor wrote:4. Probability. If you accept the preposition that Pete is either miller or scum, the inevitable conclusion is that lynching him is far more likely to hit a scum than at random. It is highly unlikely there is a large number of millers compared to scum. So if you don't think town non millers will claim miller, then the chance that Pete is scum rises given the claim. That doesn't mean I think the odds are better than 50:50 though, and that probability alone seems too weak for a lynch.

This isn't the maths forum so I'll ignore my urges to post a big thing about Bayes's Formula... but it's important to point out that a given miller is more likely to claim than a given scum. Whether it's by enough to change the balance is another question... if a real miller is twice as likely to claim miller than a scum is to falsely claim miller, but there's over twice as many scum as millers, then they're still more likely scum than miller. If there's less than twice as many, though, then they're more likely miller than scum.

I don't have enough Mafia experience to hazard guesses at actual numbers to plug into here. People were earlier saying about 4-5 mafia, give or take, and there's probably only one miller, two at the outside. Maybe even none, if the claim is false. So, to pull a midpoint out of nowhere, say there's around 3-4 times as many mafia as millers, on the balance of probabilities. So would a miller be 3-4 times as likely to claim miller as a mafioso, given the situation (ie, early day 2)?

[he/him/his]

Silknor

Postby Silknor » Thu May 27, 2010 8:12 am UTC

I think there's too many questions there that can't be easily answered, and I didn't think it would be useful to think about it in terms of Bayes' Law because both it would be more difficult to explain and the levels of uncertain is too great. I think we both agree though that the miller claim is more likely to indicate scum than a random lynch is to hit scum. Of course, if it's situation 1 or 3 from my earlier post than it all changes.

As for the numbers, there's what, about 20 players? I think 5 mafia and 1 cultist is on the tough side of a town victory before considering abilities, but really there's way too little information to tell.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu May 27, 2010 8:17 am UTC

Ah, sorry, I misread what you were saying a bit... I thought you were saying that if there are 4 scum and 1 miller, and we know only scum or a miller would claim miller, then lynching the claimer would give us a 4/5 chance of hitting scum... which isn't the case. But rereading, it seems you didn't actually say that. So never mind.

Incidentally, "miller" no longer looks like a word.

[he/him/his]

Mr Pete

Postby Mr Pete » Thu May 27, 2010 9:15 am UTC

Dr Ug wrote:Claiming miller at the begining of day 2 is actually a relatively scummy thing to do, here's why.

Millers should claim early on D1. The only reason for claiming is to prevent an investigation being wasted, as all you're really claiming is "If investigated I come up scum". It does not give evidence of you being town, as it can be false-claimed by scum.

Claiming it early D2 means that those investigations have already been potentially wasted, as the cop may have investigated you and found scum. Claiming that doing it before investigations are reported makes it slightly towny is false. It's not as bad as claiming it after an investigation is reported, but it is still scummy.

In summary:
Mr Pete wrote:I should have said this on the first day,
Yes, you should. That you didn't makes you scummy.

Vote: Mr Pete

Guess who was really busy for the first day and hasn't played mafia for a long time. Claiming only just occured to me. Claiming before investigations are reported is a good move for the town as it saves the investigator from revealing themselves (and incurring mafia wrath).

I do not know I was investigated, it does seem unlikely given the number of players.

RR's statement:
Very winey. I'm leaning towards picked a random player (that isn't to say a townie, just a non mafia) as this gives his faction a slightly improved chances of victory. On the other hand, he could truly believe Vox is a mafia traitor (thus vox is mafia). Did I mention that I hate wine?

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Thu May 27, 2010 10:40 am UTC

willwithskills wrote:

The same though crossed my mind, but I became uncertain when it turned out that bio was the one who brought Roadierich under suspicion and led his lynch in the first place, which would be very out of place and odd for a member of the mafia, and very risky.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Thu May 27, 2010 12:18 pm UTC

Silky can has banana

Votals:
1 - Mr Pete (Ug)
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Thu May 27, 2010 3:00 pm UTC

Vieto wrote:The same though crossed my mind, but I became uncertain when it turned out that bio was the one who brought Roadierich under suspicion and led his lynch in the first place, which would be very out of place and odd for a member of the mafia, and very risky.

I feel compelled to point out that there may be more than one scum group. Although now that I think about it, the fact that the flavor indicates only one attempted NK makes that seem unlikely, unless JoJ/Az are the other one.

I'm inclined to believe RR's claim, I'm just not happy about it. I don't think a miller should claim D1, either. The only time a miller should claim is after they've been investigated. Up until that point, they should be doing their absolute best to lead/be an early participant in lynches on scum (so that people may actually believe them if they are investigated and do have to claim), and they should be trying to make themselves an NK target, because they're less useful than a vanilla townie from a pure role perspective. Claiming D1 (or really, at all) hurts the town because it's a gigantic WIFOM, and so it shouldn't happen unless absolutely necessary (which is only when there's been an investigation). Claiming helps the mafia a lot though, because a member of the town is extremely unlikely to claim miller if they're not, and so it narrows down the field of potential power roles. That all said, none of it really matters, because the claim already happened.

Given how ridiculously risky it would be to claim miller as scum (especially given that we lynched scum on D1), I'm inclined to believe it. I've seen a lot of millers claim when they shouldn't have before, but I've never seen scum claim miller.

Silknor

Postby Silknor » Thu May 27, 2010 5:45 pm UTC

Silky eats banana!...after giving it a firm whack.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu May 27, 2010 5:56 pm UTC

Silky fuels up with Potassium.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

felltir

Postby felltir » Thu May 27, 2010 6:18 pm UTC

Okay people. I have no idea what the hell that was. So let's test this.

Felltir Can Haz Banana?
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!

Blog

he/him/his

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Thu May 27, 2010 6:21 pm UTC

I can only say that I am not the mafia traitor. Roadie Rich must have simply been trying to get you all to lynch me because if they really thought I was the traitor, I'd be dead.
Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
17/♂/Heterosexual/US/Atheist/Objectivist
Tigion wrote:Gods, [Mafia] is like poker, 'cept harder.

Nu Știu Să Fiu Numai Pentru Tine—Andreea Bălan—Amazing song! Verrückte Jungs—Blümchen—My avatar.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri May 28, 2010 12:09 am UTC

Vox Imperatoris wrote:if they really thought I was the traitor, I'd be dead.

This is reasonable, but we know there was an NK which failed... and it would make some kind of sense for a mafia traitor role to also be un-NKable, as a one-shot thing or something. On the other hand, if this is the case... Vox is a traitor, the mafia knows, Vox survived through the role... then there wouldn't be much reason to hide it. I mean, the scum would already know, and the traitor would benefit from the town knowing. I suppose the traitor could suspect the mafia were only suspicious, and wouldn't want to confirm it... but on the balance of it, I'm willing to believe that Vox isn't the traitor, and RR was just trying to stir the pot on his way out.

[he/him/his]

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Fri May 28, 2010 12:11 am UTC

Felltir stumbles across a banana lying in the grass in a nice green field. Odd, he thought, bananas grow in trees not on the ground. Oh well. What does Felltir do with the banana?

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Fri May 28, 2010 2:47 am UTC

Megatriorchis can haz banana?

Just uh...testing this out. >_>
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Fri May 28, 2010 2:58 am UTC

There are no bananas left. Would you like a plantain?

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Fri May 28, 2010 3:00 am UTC

I'll have a Gros Michel

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Fri May 28, 2010 3:01 am UTC

Vieto has a Gros Michel. What do you wish to do with it?

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Fri May 28, 2010 3:06 am UTC

Just eat it.

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Fri May 28, 2010 3:08 am UTC

Yeah, I'll take a plantain.
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

Aardvarki

Postby Aardvarki » Fri May 28, 2010 3:12 am UTC

Vieto wrote:Just eat it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyfcOriVKBM

*grabs popcorn*
-Aa
Weeks wrote:The only Dexter I really know is the one with the lab

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Fri May 28, 2010 3:13 am UTC

Vieto is extremely sweet now.

Mega what do you wish to do with your plantain?

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Fri May 28, 2010 3:14 am UTC

Are there any plantains left? If so, could I please trouble you for one? I have so little potassium in my life, I am bereft. :cry:

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Fri May 28, 2010 3:39 am UTC

I will slice my plantain, fry it and eat it!

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Fri May 28, 2010 4:46 am UTC

Can I have a Gros Michel? I've always wanted to try one...
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

The Moo Prophet

Postby The Moo Prophet » Fri May 28, 2010 4:58 am UTC

Wow, 1959 has been consuming me, I can barely remember what was going on here. For such a crazy day 1, I expected more action on night 1.

I guess we still have a recruiting faction of some sort. And a kill-granting investigator.

I don't believe anything that RR says, based on both the fact that he was Mafia and the fact that everything he says is Wine laced with Arsenic riddled mud.

A day two miller claim makes me frown, but it has been covered pretty well already. It is an exceedingly rare scum claim, but shouldn't be left for day 2 either.

I need to do a D1 re-read I am so out of this game right now. I will close with noting that with Az and JoJ gone, b.i.o and Mega are the only people left in my 'suspicious' column, Mega for the whole cult thing which is small, and b.i.o for the whole thing yesterday where he voted me for not being suspicious. I need better candidates and it is only just past midnight so I may as well start re-reading with what we know today in mind.

Also

The Moo Prophet Whacks everyone's bananas and banana-like Flora.

Last Second thought: Oh, RoadieRich's comment "Right person wrong reason" makes sense now. We killed him for looking like Scientologist. He was Mafia. I knew that stuff he said about Scientology was just him saying random stuff. Like his theory about the lights. Also, Vox was the vote that killed him. That's probably why he said Vox. To try and make Vox seem like a mafia member, while making it seem like he thought Vox was a mafia traitor. For some reason I doubt it goes deeper than that.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Fri May 28, 2010 6:13 am UTC

*rises from the grave*

The Moo Prophet wrote:I don't believe anything that RR says, based on both the fact that he was Mafia and the fact that everything he says is Wine laced with Arsenic riddled mud.

hehehe... Sig'd.

braaaaaaaaaains...

*shambles about for a moment, not finding any in this thread, only lots of fruit*

*dies again*
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

felltir

Postby felltir » Fri May 28, 2010 7:03 am UTC

I would like to check banana for poison
Spoiler:

Blog

he/him/his

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Fri May 28, 2010 11:46 am UTC

ameretrifle finds a plantain on the street. What do you wish to do with it?

Cynical Idealist finds a Gros Michel, what do you wish to do with it?

The store is all out of plantains and banana-like-stuffs now because The Moo Prophet smashed them all.

Felltir gallops to a lab to check his banana for poison and finds some iocane in it. What do you wish to do?

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Fri May 28, 2010 1:54 pm UTC

This is getting crazy(er).

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Fri May 28, 2010 4:15 pm UTC

>Eat Gros Michel.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Silknor

Postby Silknor » Fri May 28, 2010 4:48 pm UTC

Why do I have the feeling that Felltir's banana is only poisoned because he didn't trust the mod enough to eat it without questioning?

Return to “Mafia”