[i] - Dexterafia: Town Wins

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Re: Invitational - Dexterafia: D1 Murder at Miami Metro

Postby MasterOfAll » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:42 pm UTC

Just a reminder that there is a deadline. It is now 8 days away.

There are 18 players, so 10 needed to lynch.

If deadline arrives before someone has 10 votes, there is a minimum of 6 votes to accomplish a lynch. (If 2 players are tied and both meet the minimum we will flip a coin. If 3 players have 6 votes each, then that would be quite silly, so all 3 will die.)
Kipper wrote:SERIOUSLY. Listen to MoA, he knows his stuff. . . High five MoA!
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:49 pm UTC

Couldn't we flip a coin and have heads, tails, edge?
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

willwithskills

Postby willwithskills » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:38 pm UTC

I've never even seen the show, but I have gathered some stuff about it from the wiki and other sources. While I don't have the best idea, I'd put money on Dexter being a vigilante of some sort. He kills, but he kills bad people, and that seems like the textbook definition of a vigilante. I don't see any other way, although I do like the idea that he HAS to kill someone every night, preferably mafia.
Other than that I don't really know any of the characters, but I'll try to study up so I can contribute to the discussion.
So it goes.

Dromtry wrote:
willwithskills wrote: I colored sufficiently large purpose on my tail end.

You have a large red hiney?

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:12 pm UTC

Well, iirc Dexter generally tries to make absolutely sure that his victims are killers before he kills them (he generally stalks them). Maybe he has a sort of cop/nk role, where he finds out what role someone is, and if they're mafia, he could kill them either then or later?
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

roband

Postby roband » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:19 pm UTC

Guys (and gals), there's been only one post in the last 24 hours. A little friendly reminder to try and start posting some content please :)

Ta

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:38 pm UTC

I wonder where Felltir and The Moo Prophet are! They must be scheming! Could the mod prod them, so we can hear their fine opinions?
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

willwithskills

Postby willwithskills » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:41 pm UTC

I'm guessing we were a little light on content yesterday because no one is really sure what they're supposed to be doing. All we've been talking about is role speculations, and as we've pretty much exhausted that conversation, there's nothing left to say. As far as I see, there's not been a single ounce of suspicious content in anyone's post, so I don't know where to go from here. I'm tempted to just vote randomly, but everybody knows that doesn't really solve anything on slow first days and means nothing.
So it goes.

Dromtry wrote:
willwithskills wrote: I colored sufficiently large purpose on my tail end.

You have a large red hiney?

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:46 pm UTC

This is the trouble with rolespec. It only gets you so far. At some point, nothing happens unless people start doing things.

I kind of expect dayactions in a game this big, probably with some sort of public effect, so if anyone does have 'em, now's a good time to start using them, when we've still got the time to think through their effects. Yeah, it's D1, so they're hard to target, but anything is better than nothing.

I'm tempted to pull a vector. If nothing turns up in a day or so, I may just see if I have any talent for it.

roband

Postby roband » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:53 pm UTC

With 4 days since their last posts, Felltir and The Moo Prophet have been prodded.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:59 pm UTC

I agree that something has to happen and that we seem to have got as far as we can with rolespec for the moment. How do people normally get going in mafia (I only every managed to play one game in the fora - the others were on skype) so I don't really know what is supposed to be next.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:39 am UTC

With any luck, someone accidently posts something in rolespec that they shouldn't have known, or implies a link to another player, etc.

Angua wrote:Well, iirc Dexter generally tries to make absolutely sure that his victims are killers before he kills them (he generally stalks them). Maybe he has a sort of cop/nk role, where he finds out what role someone is, and if they're mafia, he could kill them either then or later?
I agree that there's likely to be something in Dexter's role that he can scope out a target. However, I think it's unlikely he can both cop and kill and certainly not on the same night; it's just far too powerful. I think he's more likely to be able to access cop results or something similar. Reliability of cop results is obviously an issue.

Can anyone think of roles that might be dodgy cops? I think Angel got into some trouble at some point in the series; Debra started out as a rookie but was well regarded (having said that, IIRC she got her break using info from Dexter? Can someone confirm or reject this?) LaGuerta may not have an investigation herself having largely a managerial role.

What about Miguel, the DA from season 3?
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

The Moo Prophet

Postby The Moo Prophet » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:33 am UTC

I am here, sorry for my absence. I am of the opinion that Dexter's role will most likely be that of a vigilante, but probably with some kind of restriction, extra condition or maybe the requirement to kill every night. He may simply have the requirement to take out serial killers (we have 4 independents after all, it seems likely they would be serial killers, or at least criminals of some kind.) I am flavor dumb here, but from what I've read that would fit in with his character.

As far as Angua's question about what to do next, at this point it is usually time to pick apart what people have said and look for subtle little clues.

For instance, VectorZero has thrown out a lot of role possibilities and speculation. It is possible he is just very familiar with the flavor, but maybe he has mentioned his own role in passing?

Weiyaoli was the first person to give an in depth possibility of Dexter's role, but it was one of the first posts of the game and pretty much everyone has mentioned a thought or two about Dexter.

A few people, Weeks, Dromtry and jebobek, dug a little bit for suggestion of how specific characters might be recognized.

And so on.

EBWODN: What VZ just said (About looking for little slips).

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:46 am UTC

I should clarify something. While I believe Dexter is likely an independant role, I also think his win condition (whatever it may be) would have to be compatible with a town win.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:45 am UTC

I keep looking at this thread and I'm trying to add something to it but yea, I'm pretty green and day one is rough..

Azrael001 wrote:It is possible that those trying to paint Dexter in a bad light have something to gain from his death, or something to fear from his life...
Going back to this again, I guess you could say that those trying to paint Dexter in a good light have a relation to him, or may in fact even BE Dexter. I suppose if targets of Dexter wanted to avoid looking like this they'd speak well of him from the get go.

That would mean, though, that everyone would speak well of him.. unless pro-town peeps are still afraid of how far he's going to go.

OverBored

Postby OverBored » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:22 pm UTC

I'm not sure what to suggest. We need to get the day going somehow. The thing is, I'm not going to analyse everyone's posts yet, simply because I know I won't find anything of note, and if I do I'll be making a mountain out of a molehill with it. I propose from now on, all mafia games start with a riddle about a certain character. I don't care if it means more work for the mods, it gives a good starting point!!

As an aside, do any of the Serial Killers in the tv show have an interesting MO? It might be useful to work out who (character) is killing who (person), after the first night that is.
G4!!

Grob FTW,

Hello. Smithers. You're. Quite good. At. Turning. Me. On.

weiyaoli

Postby weiyaoli » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:42 pm UTC

Sorry for not posting lately, had a busy streak yesterday.

I'm thinking perhaps we are still missing right now an in depth of all the characters likely to be present at the moment. I'd go through it but my show knowledge is limited and would therefore be depending heavily on the wiki which everyone can find anyway.
And you thought I was crazy...

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:47 pm UTC

From what I know, Dexter's basic description is that he (a) has a compulsion to kill and (b) directs that compulsion towards other killers. To me, that sounds more like vig than SK. As for analyzing the Dexter rolespec, I would say that it's usually a bad idea to evaluate people based on honest and well-supported role speculation. The speculation that's actually notable is the kind that seems to stretch canon to accommodate a particular viewpoint.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:34 pm UTC

I think what we need to get this game going is some votage. Thus:
Jebobek wrote:I keep looking at this thread and I'm trying to add something to it but yea, I'm pretty green and day one is rough..

Azrael001 wrote:It is possible that those trying to paint Dexter in a bad light have something to gain from his death, or something to fear from his life...
Going back to this again, I guess you could say that those trying to paint Dexter in a good light have a relation to him, or may in fact even BE Dexter. I suppose if targets of Dexter wanted to avoid looking like this they'd speak well of him from the get go.

That would mean, though, that everyone would speak well of him.. unless pro-town peeps are still afraid of how far he's going to go.
Jebobek's post seems the most anti-town of the one's I've seen. Unfortunately it seems more like town-anti-town rather than scum anti-town. I guess what I'm trying to say is "shut up we don't want to help the scum find targets".

(Scum would just say this in PM at night. Someone who has a personal vendetta against Dexter maybe?)

I was originally going to vote Jeb for the post then I changed my mind.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:05 pm UTC

Ow, jesus. kay, I'm here.

I'm just a bit busy at the moment, doing two people's jobs at the moment. MUCH freer from saturday onwards, so should be able to go full speed then.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:38 pm UTC

I think it would odd for dexter to have to kill every night - he can control it and doesn't go out every night, so maybe something weird like every other night?

I'm not quite sure what to make of Azrael1000's post - now that the analysing of everything is happening, I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow when I'm a bit more awake (and only have one lecture!!! :) )
GNU Terry Pratchett

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:46 pm UTC

Angua wrote:I think it would odd for dexter to have to kill every night - he can control it and doesn't go out every night, so maybe something weird like every other night?

I'm not quite sure what to make of Azrael1000's post - now that the analysing of everything is happening, I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow when I'm a bit more awake (and only have one lecture!!! :) )

I have to disagree, I think either Dexter is compelled to kill every night because of his nature.
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:40 pm UTC

But he controls and channels his nature into killing killers. He doesn't generally kill once a night - each kill takes a lot of prep work, both in making sure he has a definite killer, and in planning how he gets them without leaving any evidence.

THat's my reasoning anyway.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:24 pm UTC

Interesting idea - if cops know each other ( which is unlikely, but still ), one of them is, most likely, Dexter. And if they are going solo, then I'm pretty sure Dexter will be appearing as cop when investigated.
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:44 pm UTC

Siiiigh, okay, since someone asked for it, halfass rolespec list. Might get the ball rolling. Add/speculate/have at it, people.

Dexter (serial-killing protagonist)
Deb (Dexter's sister, cop, badass)
Angel (Cop dude, can't think of much more)
Masuka (creepy geeky forensics guy, bit more so in the books I hear?)
Deb's annoying partner cop guy dude (Quinn?) (i don't really recall >_>)
Annoying partner dude's reporter girlfriend (ditto)
Doakes (Big intimidating cop dude, hates the crap out of Dexter)
Lt. Laguerta (politicking but mostly straight-up supervisor cop)
Rita (Dexter's girlfriend/wife)
Paul (Rita's abusive ex)
Astor/Cody (her kids-- don't know if I really see 'em in the game)
Ice Truck Killer (would have some obsession with Dexter. Spoilers appropriate here?)
Harry Morgan (probably dead, but you never know)
Asshole Captain Dude (annoying politicking bureaucrat)
Lila (crazy chick, also Dexter-obsessed probably)
Frank Lundy (FBI profiler guy, gets involved with Deb)
ADA Miguel Prado (goes pretty nuts iirc)
Trinity Killer (also batshit)

And probably a crapload of relatively minor characters I don't remember. Also, I haven't read the books, so.

I don't think there's an SK in the show who's not obsesed with Dexter... I'm not sure an "SK" mafia doesn't make sense. Hmm.

Will try to be more insightful about this list myself when I'm more awake, but until then, like I said, it's something.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:26 pm UTC

Angua wrote:But he controls and channels his nature into killing killers. He doesn't generally kill once a night - each kill takes a lot of prep work, both in making sure he has a definite killer, and in planning how he gets them without leaving any evidence.

THat's my reasoning anyway.

Canon "once a night" and mafia "once a night" are totally different.

Well. You heard him.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:56 am UTC

What about cops not knowing who the other cops are, but being able to communicate through the mods?
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Dromtry

Postby Dromtry » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:05 am UTC

Sorry I haven't posted or been around the past few days. I'm caught up in the college app process and I'm also in the process of doing my Eagle Project for Scouts. I'm going to try to stick it out, but I'll try to make a judgment call on whether I'm going to need to drop out or not. This is not the way I want things to go, though. Tomorrow after school I have my interview for MIT then I need to pick up supplies for my Eagle Project, but hopefully after that I can sit down and work through the stuff I've missed.
~steve

The Moo Prophet

Postby The Moo Prophet » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:31 pm UTC

Azrael001 wrote:I think what we need to get this game going is some votage. Thus:
Jebobek wrote:I keep looking at this thread and I'm trying to add something to it but yea, I'm pretty green and day one is rough..

Jebobek's post seems the most anti-town of the one's I've seen. Unfortunately it seems more like town-anti-town rather than scum anti-town. I guess what I'm trying to say is "shut up we don't want to help the scum find targets".

(Scum would just say this in PM at night. Someone who has a personal vendetta against Dexter maybe?)

I was originally going to vote Jeb for the post then I changed my mind.

So you changed your mind because you decided that his post seems more like a bad townie than like scum? I am tempted to vote for you. Not for this post, but on general principle. I just don't trust you Azrael001, and you know why. *glares and shifty eyes* (My question stands though, just wanted to clarify why you started your post saying you were going to vote and changed your mind at the end)

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:28 pm UTC

TMP was the first to mention the players who have looked for targets (and, if they're not scum (though I'm town obv) they might as well become targets). Singling people out is a scum move as much as a town move (we do want to lynch scum, unless you're scum, in which case, tell us what you think ;D), but nonetheless, I think it deserved mentioning.

(Now I'm the first player to mention the first player to mention the first player to mention Dexter's probable role...)
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:13 pm UTC

No posts in over 24 hours. This is a problem.

I started thinking about what would be Dexter's role if he were town and not indie as I first thought. It strikes me that in fact he could be a miller vig, especially since he was actually found out by a cop snooping around. While conventional wisdom would be for a miller to claim such, in this game I imagine that would be a Bad Thing for Dexter.

I have reread the thread; nothing strikes me as scummy. At all. I'm just about ready for a lurker lynch.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:27 pm UTC

I had forgotten how hard day 1 mafia is - I've never been good at detecting scum post anyway, but at least it's easier once we've had a night and people have had a chance to talk and do stuff. I'm not sure about the lurker lynch though - a few people have sounded like they'll be busy until tomorrow. Maybe wait until Monday?
GNU Terry Pratchett

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:42 pm UTC

I'm going to go ahead and list the people with less than five posts, for the sake of the game (in alphabetical order), along with a brief description of their posts and a link to their posts (it comes in handy).

__jess:
Spoiler:
http://forums.xkcd.com/search.php?&author=__jess&t=65150
Two posts:
1-Confirmation
2-"Bear with me" and a paragraph of speculation.

Dromtry:
Spoiler:
http://forums.xkcd.com/search.php?&author=dromtry&t=65150
Three posts.
1-Confirmation
2-"not really sure what this setup could be", mentions Harry
3-Sounds like he could drop out.

Felltir:
Spoiler:
http://forums.xkcd.com/search.php?&author=Felltir&t=65150
2 posts.
1-Confirmation
2-Says he should be going at full speed right about...now.

Jar'o'Jam:
Spoiler:
http://forums.xkcd.com/search.php?&author=jar'o'jam&t=65150
4 posts
1-Conformination
2-Joke
3-Responds to a quote with: "I wouldn't be surprised if mafia is actually going for Dexter as a prime target".
4-Speculates about Dexter and the cops. Two lines.

Jebobek:
Spoiler:
http://forums.xkcd.com/search.php?&author=Jebobek&t=65150
4 psots
1-Confirms
2-Discusses with VectorZero in favor of town!Dexter, 4 lines.
3-Responds to two quotes, guesswork and speculation.
4-"I keep looking at this thread and I'm trying to add something [...]", responds to Azrael001's quote again, this time adding some kind of guesswork-accusation. 4 lines total.

Sir_Elderberry:
Spoiler:
http://forums.xkcd.com/search.php?&author=sir_elderberry&t=65150
for post
1-"I'm here"
2-Says he has no clue about the flavor.
3-Says Dexter sounds like a vig. Weighs in on the rolespec analysis thing. 4 lines.
4-Responds to Angua's point about the amount of kills Dexter could be making, one line.

The Mighty Thesaurus:
Spoiler:
http://forums.xkcd.com/search.php?&author=The%20mighty%20thesaurus&t=65150
There stops
1-"Let's rock"
2-Says "what I do know of the show suggests to me that Dexter is town-aligned", the whole post is about 1.2 lines
3-"What about cops not knowing who the other cops are, but being able to communicate through the mods?"

The Moo Prophet:
Spoiler:
http://forums.xkcd.com/search.php?&author=The%20moo%20prophet&t=65150
Posts four
1-Confirm
2-Joke
3-Longish post (about 10-13 lines), mentions "subtle little clues".
4-Responds to a quote with three lines, in which he declares he doesn't trust Azrael001 and asks for clarification on his post.

Tigerlion:
Spoiler:
http://forums.xkcd.com/search.php?&author=Tigerlion&t=65150
.stsop owT
1-"Yeah, checking in."
2-"I'd guess that Rita is probably a role. A survivor perhaps, or her survival is a win condition for Dexter."

willwithskills:
Spoiler:
http://forums.xkcd.com/search.php?&author=willwithskills&t=65150
Tres mensajes.
1-Conforms
2-4 lines of spec.
3-Mentions the state of the game...4 lines.

I'll put myself in for good measure.

Weeks:
Spoiler:
http://forums.xkcd.com/search.php?&author=Weeks&t=65150
11 matches.
1-"test"
2-joke
3-joke
4-Spec, jokes. 5 lines.
5-Says he might not be able to post much.
6-Weighs in on Dexter alignment spec, two lines.
7-Responds to VZ's argument for indy!Dexter with two lines, including "We'll agree to disagree until Dexter shows up dead"
8-joke
9-Asks for mod prodding
10-Three lines of content re: The moo prophet and the subtle clues
11-This post

Here's the player with the most posts, for comparison:

VectorZero:
Spoiler:
http://forums.xkcd.com/search.php?&author=Vectorzero&t=65150
11 matchboxes
1-Confrontation
2-"Who was the victim?" mod question.
3-Six lines of spec
4-Seven lines, wonders about Harry and Rita and the kids, spec.
5-"he's not 'good'", two lines describing Dexter.
6-"Those advocating town!Dexter, could you provide some evidence?", two lines.
7-Mostly responds to OverBored about the flavor.
8-Five lines and two responses to quotes; "Jebobek's putting the cart before the horse here. Dexter's a SERIAL KILLER."
9-Eight lines, bunch of stuff.
10-Two lines, believes Dexter should have a town-compatible win condition
11-Five lines, "I'm just about ready for a lurker lynch".

I think the worst lurkers are __jess, Felltir, and Tigerlion, with two posts each. Runners-up are The Mighty Thesaurus with three very short posts and Jar'O'Jam with 4 posts of which 2 are content-less and the others are very short.

Maybe some of the worst lurkers will drop out, so instead of wasting votes there, I'll push towards the runners-up for now. TMT has less content of the two.

Vote: The Mighty Thesaurus

(I nearly forgot how to vote.)

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:47 pm UTC

Dromtry is also a runner-up. Yet he looked like he would drop out, so I didn't put him there.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:53 pm UTC

Lurker lynches are always alluring to me. >_> Without a response by ~the end of the weekend, I'm for it. There's a point at which it's much better to make a mistake than to let nothing happen for too long...

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:59 pm UTC

D1 lynches always bother me. In general, I feel like D1 lynches are generally not going to be that high quality--even if you manage to grab some evidence and go after someone, it's often a pretty tenuous connection. So I'm ok with a lurker lynch, as it allows us to proceed to N1, where we will hopefully get some sort of data. On the other hand, of course, this attitude risks handing the scum a NK in the form of a night with no real pressure on them, so if we're too quick to lurker lynch sometimes we don't get much out of N1. In general, though, lurker lynches work alright as a form of metagame--in some sense, we lynch for the sake of being able to play coherently instead of necessarily homing in on the "scummiest" person (because we can't identify them.)

Well. You heard him.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:07 pm UTC

Just a reminder that there is a deadline. It is now 4 days away.

There are 18 players, so 10 needed to lynch, or minimum of 6 at deadline.

Vote Count
The Mighty Thesaurus - 1 (Weeks)
Kipper wrote:SERIOUSLY. Listen to MoA, he knows his stuff. . . High five MoA!
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:31 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:D1 lynches always bother me. In general, I feel like D1 lynches are generally not going to be that high quality--even if you manage to grab some evidence and go after someone, it's often a pretty tenuous connection. So I'm ok with a lurker lynch, as it allows us to proceed to N1, where we will hopefully get some sort of data. On the other hand, of course, this attitude risks handing the scum a NK in the form of a night with no real pressure on them, so if we're too quick to lurker lynch sometimes we don't get much out of N1. In general, though, lurker lynches work alright as a form of metagame--in some sense, we lynch for the sake of being able to play coherently instead of necessarily homing in on the "scummiest" person (because we can't identify them.)

This is what we have to deal with, unfortunately. Unless there's Night 0, during which something is generated, or if somebody roleclaims - which doesn't seem to be happening right now, or if someone makes a blatant mistake which just screams "scum" - again, which doesn't seem to be happening, partly due to us all being experienced players.

One more possibility is that someone has public investigation powers, but it's too early in the game to claim something like that.
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

Tigerlion
The Communist formerly known as Tigion

Postby Tigerlion » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:02 pm UTC

Do you all think that townies are more or less likely to lurk? They have to protect themselves less than the mafia do, but lurking is the number one reason for lynching on day 1. Lynching a lurker is really a good of an option as any, though, so I don't really know. We're bound to lynch at some townies, and progress is a good thing. No idea if this post even makes sense.

P.S. I sort of ignored this during the week. Once it picks up around day 2, I'm sure I'll be more attentive.

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:04 am UTC

Weeks' summary is reasonable; however, the vote on the 4th or 5th worst lurker, rather than the worst, is unusual. I see the point, but would suggest that, if weeks ever turns up scum, we go back to look at jess/felltir/tigerlion.

I will place a vote in 18-24 hrs.

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:16 am UTC

Sorry for not being around, I'm going to post more (and lurk more, I haven't had time to read this thread for a few days now). All I can do is assure you all that I want to play, and that I've been absent for good reasons. Lynching a lurker is a reasonably sound tactic, since without any active posters there, uh, isn't a game. I think, though, that day one is the worst - we've done a whole lot of role speculation, which becomes useful further on down the track, but right now doesn't help much. I don't have that much more to add to the role spec, and I feel like posting fluff just to avoid looking lurky is pretty suspicious behaviour too. Again, this all becomes more useful later on down the track. Is there a statistical advantage to not lynching on D1? Someone posted about that in another game/thread ages ago, but I can't find it now.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

Return to “Mafia”