[i] - Dexterafia: Town Wins

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Invitational - Dexterafia: D1 Murder at Miami Metro

Postby Angua » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:12 pm UTC

Ok, so I'm not too familiar with all of the mafia roles - what is an indy again? Is it possible that there is a separate SK besides from Dexter possibly being one - as there was one in the first season and I was under the impression that the trend of having one main SK amongst the other cases was a similar trend through the other seasons. So maybe you could have the 3 scum working together, one serial killer who could be/could not be at least pretending to work with scum, and then the 3 other independents who may/may not include dexter himself. What sort of roles do independents generally play in mafia?

This game is going to make me procrastinate like crazy :( :)
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

OverBored

Postby OverBored » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:25 pm UTC

I've changed my mind, I probably did overestimate the number of NK's we're looking at. More importantly, I did some research, and now know that Dexter is a good guy. Seriously, someone could have told me that he's a Serial Killer who kills other Serial Killers. He's basically the definition of a vigilante.

(My impression of Dexter was that he was a serial killer who used his position in the police to just cover his tracks. Evil mastermind!!)
G4!!

Grob FTW,

Hello. Smithers. You're. Quite good. At. Turning. Me. On.

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:16 pm UTC

Except that he's not 'good'. He has little empathy and fakes sociability to avoid being detected. He has a compulsion to kill, which he directs towards killers to avoid becoming completely 'evil'.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:00 pm UTC

btw @Vectorzero - what is a canon case?
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:25 pm UTC

There should be a Dee Dee

I think there are many possibilities that could be. There could be a lot of SKs (Up to 4!) but...how much death do you expect in this game? How many town power roles?

I think Dexter is town, but he'll hide. That's just in-character. Any thoughts as to how he'll/he should/he would act?

Angua wrote:what is an indy again?
An Indy is a role so obscure that you probably haven't heard of it.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

BTW, sorry, but since I'm in the middle of uni right now, I *might* not be able to post much mid-week. I will try to gather MANSTRENGTH and THE MIGHT OF THOR to make at least one post per day, if necessary and I'm a bit bogged down by the work.

Thank you for your comprehension. ^^
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:02 pm UTC

Hey guys, I'm here, sorry I haven't posted until now. College was pretty rough the last week, but if today goes as it should, I should be good to play now.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:21 pm UTC

Angua wrote:what is an indy again?
Indy = Independent = Has some win condition other than Town faction or Scum faction

Weeks wrote:There should be a Dee Dee.
I did toy with the idea of throwing in some references to Dexter's Lab, but that never got implemented.
Kipper wrote:SERIOUSLY. Listen to MoA, he knows his stuff. . . High five MoA!
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:21 pm UTC

Thank you for the Invitational invitation! I only did this a few times before but I'm happy to come back and try another.

SK = Serial Killer..

I was looking at the "NK" Jargon and can't find a definition.

Never really watched dexter but my SO has, so I'm drilling her for information. I think that Dexter would have some sort of better ability to find and kill scum, so I think the independents would probably have to be dangerous to offset this.

roband

Postby roband » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:23 pm UTC

Jebobek wrote:I was looking at the "NK" Jargon and can't find a definition.

NK is Night-Kill

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:02 pm UTC

I, too, would like to add that I'm in uni right now, but hopefully work won't pile up too much and as I use the internet for my main source of information I'll probably procrastinate on here anyway. I'll let you know if I'm getting too bogged down for some reason though.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Tigerlion
The Communist formerly known as Tigion

Postby Tigerlion » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:34 pm UTC

VectorZero wrote:Rita and the kids? Can't see them having any powers though.

I'd guess that Rita is probably a role. A survivor perhaps, or her survival is a win condition for Dexter.

roband

Postby roband » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:36 pm UTC

Just a note: If you are lucky to have seen all seasons of the show, please try not to ruin it for others.

Obviously there will be rolespec, but try not to give away any big plot twists.

And if anyone tells me what happens in tonight's episode before I see it in a few days, I reserve the right to modkill you. You have been warned ;)

Dromtry

Postby Dromtry » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:55 pm UTC

roband wrote:Just a note: If you are lucky to have seen all seasons of the show, please try not to ruin it for others.

Obviously there will be rolespec, but try not to give away any big plot twists.

And if anyone tells me what happens in tonight's episode before I see it in a few days, I reserve the right to modkill you. You have been warned ;)

Oh man, when Dexter kills Angel, you'll be surprised.

I'm not really sure what this setup could be. We aren't dealing with current canon, that's for sure. This means basically anyone could be in play, and I also think Harry could even potentially be a role, somehow limited potentially (some horrible roles limit posting and such).
~steve

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:28 pm UTC

While I agree in the show Dexter isn't "good", mafia doesn't leave as much room for grey morality. With the exception of alignment swapping if he kills a bad guy, I see no reason to believe Dexter is anything less then town-friendly.
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:45 pm UTC

Even assuming that we are locked in the station, and many of the town are "cops" that doesn't necessarily mean that we've got many vanilla cops. We could have a dethy situation, or we could have a lot of highly specific investigation powers.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:48 pm UTC

Hello all! Let's see, I've seen most of the series, so I should be okay on flavor. I should also be reasonably active, except maybe on weekends or if Buffy gets absolutely insane again.

Dexter seems a probable vig in this game, though SK/independent isn't impossible. I kind of suspect he'd come up town to cops either way, just due to flavor. Well, might depend on the cop. ;D Poor Doakes.

By "canon case", I think VZ meant some murder that happened in canon. Like an ice truck killing or something. Hmm, now there's a possible independent/sk role for you... VZ's sk mafia idea isn't impossible, though. And I'm guessing we do have criminals around. I guess the SKs alone might count, but with the flavor, and in Dexter, seems to me like there'd be common criminals about.

Still trying to catch up on rolespec... no idea what Rita and the kids would do. I'd imagine we've got at least some cops, though, nominally or role-wise, and probably both. Will keep contemplating...

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:15 am UTC

I only saw the first season or two, so I know quite a bit, but not everything.

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:25 am UTC

I've only seen one or two episodes of Dexter, so I'll be relying on wikipedia (feel free to correct me if I misinterpret, it's a pretty poor substitute for actually watching the show). I also haven't played mafia in months and months. Bear with me.

If Rita and the kids are involved, it's possible that their survival is what Dexter's role hinges on. Maybe if they are killed, Dexter's restraint (mentioned in the first flavour text) is gone and his role and abilities change? Except he can't have too much power, or the game would be pretty seriously unbalanced. If he does have a lot of power, it means that other roles must as well.

Azrael - what's a dethy situation?
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:27 am UTC

A dethy situation is one where some, if not most, of the cops have varying degrees of sanity.

Those include:
sane: Normal cop results
Insane: Gets the opposite of what the person is (scum for town, town for scum)
paranoid: Gets scum, all the time, every time
naive: gets town all the time, every time
crazy: gets randomized results.

This only applies to alignment cops. It would be interesting to see an implementation done to role cops and others, but I don't remember it ever being done.

Spoiler:

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:46 am UTC

I have just started watching the show, so I won't be involved in much rolespec, but what I do know of the show suggests to me that Dexter is town-aligned
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:51 am UTC

Brooklynxman wrote:While I agree in the show Dexter isn't "good", mafia doesn't leave as much room for grey morality.
What do you consider independents? Specifically, what do you consider SKs?

Those who are advocating town!Dexter, could you provide some evidence? I have provided several points in favor of indy!Dexter.

ameretrifle wrote:By "canon case", I think VZ meant some murder that happened in canon.
This.

OverBored

Postby OverBored » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:24 am UTC

Should point out, I also am at Uni (though I have at most 3 hours of lectures a day). I should be quite active, but if work begins bogging me down it obviously takes precedence over mafia.

[off topic] Where are you guys at uni, especially angua since you are also in the UK, if you don't mind me asking.[/off topic]

Maybe we are speculating in the wrong way generally. Forget dexter, and actually try to work out who in the series could comprise the mafia, since I don't think we have generic mafia running around in a game about serial killers. Is there an antagonist in the series, or more crucially, a group of antagonists who regularly comprise the villains of the show/series? If we can place the mafia, then we can reliably begin to place more central characters like dexter and this "Rita" people keep talking about based upon potential interactions with the mafia.
G4!!

Grob FTW,

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:09 pm UTC

OverBored wrote:If we can place the mafia, then we can reliably begin to place more central characters like dexter
And therein, as the bard would tell us, lies the rub. If we are not solving a canon case, i.e. if the murder is not associated with any particular character, then there's nothing to tie a mafia to.
OverBored wrote:Is there an antagonist in the series, or more crucially, a group of antagonists who regularly comprise the villains of the show/series?
Not really. Rigor mortis is highly contagious in Miami.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:41 pm UTC

From what I remember of season 1 - there wasn't any large criminal element, other than the one serial killer he was chasing, with other random crimes thrown in. I suppose they might have added in an organisation later on to make it interesting though.

[off topic] - I'm at Oxford [/off topic]
GNU Terry Pratchett

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

(PA School here, so I'm on eastern US timezone.)

VectorZero wrote:Those who are advocating town!Dexter, could you provide some evidence? I have provided several points in favor of indy!Dexter.

A serial killer wins when he's the last one alive at the very end, right? My personal assumption stems from the flavor of this mafia game: I assume that Dexter is not going to keep trying to kill after the types of scum are dead. In the show there are new scum that keep showing up every couple of episodes so he can continue to kill, right? Well in this game we don't have a replenishing supply, so he's going to have to stop eventually. Otherwise he's going to start digging into townies.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:34 pm UTC

I should note that I'm at the University of Oklahoma, and I have little to no clue about the flavor.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

weiyaoli

Postby weiyaoli » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:35 pm UTC

Jebobek wrote:(PA School here, so I'm on eastern US timezone.)

VectorZero wrote:Those who are advocating town!Dexter, could you provide some evidence? I have provided several points in favor of indy!Dexter.

A serial killer wins when he's the last one alive at the very end, right? My personal assumption stems from the flavor of this mafia game: I assume that Dexter is not going to keep trying to kill after the types of scum are dead. In the show there are new scum that keep showing up every couple of episodes so he can continue to kill, right? Well in this game we don't have a replenishing supply, so he's going to have to stop eventually. Otherwise he's going to start digging into townies.

But I think that is VZ's point that Dexter would start killing town as well.
And you thought I was crazy...

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:49 pm UTC

It's mentioned in the wiki page that he starts losing motivation to kill towards the end. That is not evidence that he is town, but I don't think what VZ said is evidence that he is indie.

OverBored

Postby OverBored » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:41 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
[off topic] - I'm at Oxford [/off topic]

Oh, you're at the other place :wink: That's pretty cool.

I fear this role spec isn't going to go that far. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable/less lazy could List a few of the main characters and a little bit of basic information about them. It might lead us to be able to identify some other common roles.
G4!!

Grob FTW,

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:52 pm UTC

VectorZero wrote:
OverBored wrote:If we can place the mafia, then we can reliably begin to place more central characters like dexter
And therein, as the bard would tell us, lies the rub. If we are not solving a canon case, i.e. if the murder is not associated with any particular character, then there's nothing to tie a mafia to.
OverBored wrote:Is there an antagonist in the series, or more crucially, a group of antagonists who regularly comprise the villains of the show/series?
Not really. Rigor mortis is highly contagious in Miami.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if mafia is actually going for Dexter as a prime target.
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:22 am UTC

Sadly, I really don't know enough about Dexter to come up with a good list.

Someone did ask about Rita though - she is the woman Dexter is going out with at the moment and has two kids.
GNU Terry Pratchett

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:06 pm UTC

weiyaoli wrote:
Jebobek wrote:
But I think that is VZ's point that Dexter would start killing town as well.
Exactly. Jebobek's putting the cart before the horse here. Dexter's a SERIAL KILLER. He has a compulsion to MURDER. It's merely fortunate for all concerned that he's learnt to direct that compulsion to vigilante-like ends. He has no inherent reason to share townie goals aside from the desire not to get caught.

We'll have to agree to disagree here; the fact that so many people seem to think Dexter is town means the mods could easily agree. However, I repeat; if a sociopathic serial killer is not independent, I don't know what is.

Jar'O'Jam wrote:Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if mafia is actually going for Dexter as a prime target.
That's an interesting idea. The League of Serial Killers Against Serial Killer Killers (LoSKASKK for short.)

Weeks wrote:The only Dexter I really know is the one with the lab
Try DJ Dexter

[OT]I finished uni 5 years ago. Am I still allowed to play? :P[/OT]

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:20 pm UTC

VectorZero wrote:Exactly. Jebobek's putting the cart before the horse here. Dexter's a SERIAL KILLER. He has a compulsion to MURDER. It's merely fortunate for all concerned that he's learnt to direct that compulsion to vigilante-like ends. He has no inherent reason to share townie goals aside from the desire not to get caught.

We'll have to agree to disagree here; the fact that so many people seem to think Dexter is town means the mods could easily agree. However, I repeat; if a sociopathic serial killer is not independent, I don't know what is.
We'll agree to disagree until Dexter shows up dead (or is reliably role + alignment copped). I think the possibility of there being a lyncher (or it's NK equivalent) for Dexter (and/or his family, if they are in the game) exists.

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:51 pm UTC

Yes he is a serial killer, but his style is closest to the MAFIA ROLE of vig, and we are, in fact, playing mafia. We need to put aside our debates over morality and fit him where he fits best.

Spoiler:

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:05 pm UTC

Mafia taught me that killing and lies are used to survive, and lynching brings justice. Let's debate. ;D

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:46 pm UTC

It is possible that those trying to paint Dexter in a bad light have something to gain from his death, or something to fear from his life...

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:59 pm UTC

Azrael001 wrote:It is possible that those trying to paint Dexter in a bad light have something to gain from his death, or something to fear from his life...
While thats possible, I'm guessing none of us are 100% sure what kind of kill spree Dex will be going through in this match (well besides himself).

Angua wrote:Sadly, I really don't know enough about Dexter to come up with a good list.

Someone did ask about Rita though - she is the woman Dexter is going out with at the moment and has two kids.
So usually if one person is accused as scum, and all of a sudden others come out of the woodwork to defend him/her, they could possibly be mafia. If Dexter was accused, would Rita/Kids come out to defend? Do we have child-sized nooses?

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:04 pm UTC

In the series, Rita et al don't know Dexter is a killer, and I don't know how that would translate to this game; maybe simply not knowing who he is?

Oddly, I'm kind of with Brook on this one, though I can't believe I'm saying that. ;D Seems most likely a vig role to me. Still, that doesn't do us a heck of a lot of good just yet...

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:35 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:Mafia taught me that killing and lies are used to survive, and lynching brings justice. Let's debate. ;D

No, Death note taught you that. :p

Spoiler:

Return to “Mafia”