Meta discussion

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Diemo

Re: Meta discussion

Postby Diemo » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:02 pm UTC

wam was famous for being in four games at the same time, all the time. I cant keep up with 2 properly, let alone more.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:18 pm UTC

Okay, as one of the proponents of the idea, I'm going to post a link to the original thread

The concept here is that the community is currently fragmented, most Mafia gamers don't visit Forum Games, and most Forum Gamers don't visit the Mafia Subforum.

If you could see the serious games on this section, you* may be more enticed to join them than currently, so we could play more games together (I mean, when was the last time you* visited the Forum Games subforum to see if there was something that interested you? As it currently is perhaps a game that would have interested you sunk to page 3 because "nonserious games" flood the main page.) If those games were right in here they could have your attention and perhaps you could join.

*(you/your, as in people that go straight to the Mafia subforum and don't check FG.)

But if this is a case of "I'm here for the Mafia games and have no interest whatsoever in other offerings, so please keep them away from this subforum", a merge wouldn't work, indeed.

SDK

Postby SDK » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:22 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:"I'm here for the Mafia games and have no interest whatsoever in other offerings, so please keep them away from this subforum"

This is how it started for me, and I moved over.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:31 pm UTC

But you might have moved earlier if those games that you currently play in FG were already here when you arrived.

This seem more about breaking traditions ("it's always been like this, so let's keep it this way!")

Which... is fine, I guess. Again, the only hope was that more Mafiaers played other games, which wouldn't happen if a new subforum was created and that new subforum was ignored by most Mafiaers for the same reasons they ignore FG now.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:37 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:The concept here is that the community is currently fragmented, most Mafia gamers don't visit Forum Games, and most Forum Gamers don't visit the Mafia Subforum.

But, as a counterpoint, wouldn't this just mean that now we'd be fragmented between "serious" games and "nonserious" games instead of between "Mafia" and "Else"?

There is some merit to the idea, but I dunno... I'm not entirely sure if the effects would be beneficial as it seems.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:00 pm UTC

We would be less fragmented.

While there are players that are only interested in silly games like "Count to a Million", that would never sign up to play an organized game, I believe there's some overlap of Mafia players that would be interested in organized games, and organized game players that aren't used to visiting the Mafia subforum for games, but that if they visited here to play those games would be more enticed in joining mafia games.

FG is currently a mess, Mafia players (that only play mafia) probably visited it long time ago, didn't find anything that interested them, and had no reason to visit back. A new subforum for organized games would have the same effect, and it seems there would be a wasted chance for more interactions, so I'm interested in hearing the cons of such a merge, i.e. what would specifically change that would be negative (SDK says he'd be notified for stuff he doesn't care about when someone posts in here - my counter is: the same would happen if this became a lot more active and there were 8 mafia games going on, and he only played in 2, and the subforum had a new post for 6 games he doesn't care about, but I don't think the general rise of activity would be itself negative).

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:03 pm UTC

(note also, that creating a new subforum for organized games would probably have the same effect of creating a new subforum for counting games, and it probably would be more active regarding volume, so that's another idea to consider)

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:13 pm UTC

I think this would need to be virtually unanimous for the mods to change it for us, and it's not, so I think that's enough discussion for me. TTYL! :)

(Also, I'd come back for a game if it didn't have flavor that I know nothing about and wasn't too complicated. Just throwing that out there.)
-Adam

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:09 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:I think this would need to be virtually unanimous for the mods to change it

I agree on that point.

SDK

Postby SDK » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:10 pm UTC

I think it is virtually unanimous that a subforum devoted to organized games is a good idea. Also, all we probably need to do is convince jestingrabbit that it's a good idea (with majority support to back that).

Vytron, my main argument against the merger is not personal preference but fear that this will reduce the number of newcomers to mafia significantly. Visibility is important for attracting new players to any game. I've had some experience managing internet forum activity and I'm 100% convinced that merging them would be worse for both mafia and your new subforum idea. Splitting them up will give both subforums more players thanks to added visibility and less forum clutter.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:51 pm UTC

Why would it reduce the newcomers to Mafia? Other forums on the internet do have "Mafia and other games" subforum and they seem to be just fine. Just keep the mafia in the title and people looking for mafia games will find us.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:10 am UTC

For what it's worth, I came to xkcd because I was looking for non-silly forum games and joined some mafia games as a plus. For me, mafia was just one type of non-silly forum games (the most popular one) that I liked, just like Nomic and Diplomacy for example.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:36 pm UTC

Reecer6 created an interesting Mafia-esque game called Doppleganger in the general forum games. I think the significant difference will be a lack of public chatting. Other than that, it looks pretty similar in complexity to Fallout Mafia or Shadowrun Mafia.
-Adam

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:12 pm UTC

I have a vague idea for creating something based on "Mystery Science Theater 3000". Essentially, I'd have to find some kind of freely available film, preferably with script available online, and each day/night period you would be allowed to heckle a certain section of it. Funny posts would earn you bonuses to your role… Do you think it would work/generate interest?
Image <-- Evil experiment

wam

Postby wam » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:37 am UTC

Diemo wrote:wam was famous for being in four games at the same time, all the time. I cant keep up with 2 properly, let alone more.

Yeah I still don't know how I managed it.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:59 am UTC

I've removed World Power Mafia from the Signup Queue. I do plan on hosting it, but I've had it there so long without acting on it that I figured I should leave it off until I mean to carry it out.

Do you think we should remove Wizardry too? It's been coming for something like over a year now. Perhaps we should have a bottom category of "Proposed Games - Currently Not Scheduled"

Lunch Meat

Postby Lunch Meat » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:06 am UTC

So my spouse redid our network, including reformatting my computer, and didn't check all the stupid places I keep documents to make sure they got backed up, so I lost my notes for Jane Austen. Most of it is in my head, I just have to rewrite it, but it will take me a few days. I'll give players a few days warning before the game starts. Sorry everyone!

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:51 am UTC

When was the last time we went this long without an active game?

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:44 am UTC

Not in my memory.

I'm half considering putting up a game of 'ghost' and seeing if anyone wants to play that, but not sure if I can be bothered by it.
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:28 pm UTC

Until a very recent post a day ago or so, there wasn't any posts in this sub forum from 2015. The kind of time where one person looks at the other and just says "sure is quiet in here..."
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:30 am UTC

I had this setup called "Blue Eyed Mafia" ready to go and everything, but it was cancelled when people started dropping off it instead of getting new sign ups...

Perhaps we should start having "variable player games", like other forums do on their very first mafia game: Make a thread with your idea, then, run it with whatever number of players you get. I once had one with 4 players and me (it was a "the mod plays" variant) and it was fun.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:39 am UTC

You mean kind of like the setup for the "normal" forum games?

Actually, is there a reason we have a signup thread rather than doing it that way in the first place?
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:32 am UTC

Yes, back when we had 6 games running simultaneously it would have been chaotic without a mod thread to schedule incoming games and a thread for player sign ups, the system worked well as it allowed the organization of certain games that would be running (say, if there was 2 large games running, a large game shouldn't start, and so on with fast games and vanilla games with simple rules), plus it helped players decide in what games they would sign up.

Nowadays I believed a "rogue" setup (i.e. you skip all that and create a new game with sign ups happening on the game thread) would work, but Reecer6's try proved me wrong :(

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:38 am UTC

Well, with that game in particular, nobody on the mafia subforum knew about it, and also it's the kind of complex game that I personally don't really find enjoyable because I don't like having to learn new mechanics, so it might not be a representative case.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:56 am UTC

Okay, I have gone and done it, wish me good luck :)
Last edited by Vytron on Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:25 am UTC

You just linked to the "make a new thread" page!

Here's your ghost II thread:

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=110853

You might want to link to it in the sign ups thread too because that's presumably what people will be subscribed to for new game updates.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:44 pm UTC

Madge wrote:Well, with that game in particular, nobody on the mafia subforum knew about it
Balogne! It was just a few posts ago that I said this:

Adam H wrote:Reecer6 created an interesting Mafia-esque game called Doppleganger in the general forum games. I think the significant difference will be a lack of public chatting. Other than that, it looks pretty similar in complexity to Fallout Mafia or Shadowrun Mafia.

Madge wrote:Actually, is there a reason we have a signup thread rather than doing it that way in the first place?
I like it because it cleans up the game thread and it makes it very easy to find a game to sign up for.

Vytron wrote:Perhaps we should start having "variable player games", like other forums do on their very first mafia game: Make a thread with your idea, then, run it with whatever number of players you get. I once had one with 4 players and me (it was a "the mod plays" variant) and it was fun.
There's no practical difference here. Plenty of games have gone through signups that would work for any number of players.
-Adam

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:01 pm UTC

Seeing how low our participation has gotten, changing "Mafia" to "Mafia and other organized games" would probably be very beneficial to the life of the forum, now that I think about it some. There would probably be a period of trying to figure out how to run things at first, though…

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:43 am UTC

So, it seems to me that right now there are enough players, what is needed is GMs to run games. With that in mind, I am happy to set up and run a few games which are completely flavourless (doing flavour would take too much time). Thoughts?

If anyone wants to co-mod for flavour, feel free.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:10 am UTC

I was going to start sign ups for my game shortly after jane austen gets underway, so thats another two games that should be starting shortly.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

Lunch Meat

Postby Lunch Meat » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:57 am UTC

I have the role PMs drafted, and the game should be starting by Wednesday. Sorry for the delay!

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:35 pm UTC

Awesome!

SDK

Postby SDK » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:44 pm UTC

We've got two signups currently running, System Shock 2 by Gopher of Pern, and Cobalt and Rubies, by maident. The first has 4 players signed up after over a month and the second has 6 players after more than a week.

I'm personally not signed up for either of these games since I prefer games that are a lot closer to good old fashioned mafia, and I was just wondering if others are in the same boat. It's hard to believe that this forum would just die, so I'm hoping that this is the case. If so, should we get another sign-up going with a more normal game? I'd be happy to run one if people want me to (since I see there are basically no games remaining in the queue).

PS: This post is not meant as a slight to either of the up-and-coming mods I mentioned above. I certainly hope their games can run (maybe this post can even draw more attention to the signups!), but I'm more concerned with the health of this subforum overall.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:53 pm UTC

I'm in for a more "standard" mafia game.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

New User

Postby New User » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:01 pm UTC

Yeah I'm up to play whatever. I'd be happy if someone would put a game into signups. I'm afraid I'm not terribly good at creating a balanced setup, or else I'd mod a game myself.

Minestrone

Postby Minestrone » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:30 pm UTC

I'm signed up for both games because I just want to play something, and if someone set up a more standard game I would probably sign up for that too.

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:05 pm UTC

I too would sign up for something more old-fashioned. Extra rules and whatnot just aren't my bag!

A dethy might be fun, I only played in one of those once and that was as a replacement, and I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed it!

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:12 pm UTC

Okay, so where people see a problem I see an opportunity:

I have created a second Dethy game so Madge can play, so I was wondering, SDK! What says you if you mod that one? That way I can sign up as player and we'd only need 3 more players to start!

SDK

Postby SDK » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:47 pm UTC

Fine. I've never played (or seen) a Dethy, but it seems simple. Get people signed up and I'll start the game Monday.

wam

Postby wam » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:05 pm UTC

The concept for the game I was planning to run in April was fairly basic open setup with a random element.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Return to “Mafia”