Meta discussion

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Madge

Re: Meta discussion

Postby Madge » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:42 am UTC

You've read crossover? I'm playing it and I'm not sure I could say as much!
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

wam

Postby wam » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:21 am UTC

Madge wrote:You've read crossover? I'm playing it and I'm not sure I could say as much!

Well speed read! I don't have to analyse and can read spoilers.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:47 am UTC

Throwing a simple idea out. Would this be entertaining or unfun?
"My Mafia is Full of Eels"
Vanilla rules, except that all messages are to be run through google translate before posting (EG: english->russian->french->english->submit)

---

Also,
Over the last week I've also been sketching out a two-room symmetry game. Super de-flavored basics:
About 8 players per team.
About 3 players from each team are then swapped to the opposite room and act as Mafia to the enemy town.
All mafia would all know each other in both rooms, but each set of mafia is hostile to the ones in the other room. Mafia would have local daychat, but no NK.
The town has NK-into-the-other-room. Lynch is local to each room in the standard way.

The townies have to root out the local mafia, while helping their own (unknown IDs to town) mafia in the enemy room to victory.
The mafia have to convince the local town to shoot the other mafia, and lynch the local town.
The last team standing (or lynch control in both rooms) wins the game.

I was pondering how to lightly connect the two towns for NK targeting purposes (beyond the local mafia anti-knowledge, and any power roles), and the Eels idea came to me tonight. I could perhaps make a perl script (so it updates instantly even while I sleep/work) to cross-post mangled voices from the other room for flavor without giving too much away.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:55 am UTC

Interesting, but why does town want to kill the other room town? They don't really care where the NK goes right?
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:11 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:Interesting, but why does town want to kill the other room town? They don't really care where the NK goes right?
One room's mafia is aligned with the other room's town. It's team A vs team B. Room one has 5 A and 3 B, room two has 5 B and 3 A. So town A wants to kill town B.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

SuperJedi224

Postby SuperJedi224 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:10 am UTC

Sounds like it might be interesting.
My youtube channel.

New avatar by adnapemit.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:46 pm UTC

What plytho said.

Turning the mafia's NK into a quasi-lynch does take away a lot of direct control, but the difference would be made up by numbers and/or powers.

For the veterans; any advice/opinions on balance?
Not controlling the NK and a hostile mafia that know your names vs extra members locally.
Which side would you tilt powers to if any?

Giving away the other mafia would only get one of them killed at a time, and invite equal retribution lynchings.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:38 am UTC

Yeah, I don't think you tell the mafia who each other are. Unless they have no way to communicate between rooms. But you could tell all of town A who is in Mafia A. Since they are aligned they won't spoil the beans. Although that might be rough for the mafia since they have to hide that they don't know who the other mafia are.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:31 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:Yeah, I don't think you tell the mafia who each other are. Unless they have no way to communicate between rooms. But you could tell all of town A who is in Mafia A. Since they are aligned they won't spoil the beans. Although that might be rough for the mafia since they have to hide that they don't know who the other mafia are.

That's a good point. Any clean comms (or comms power) would quickly give the game away as asking enemy townies would give conflicting answers and open them to NKs, while a mafia would happily and accurately unveil all the others in a PM.
And one of Town's distinguishing features is having to figure out stuff from scratch without having any real knowledge at the beginning.

But I do now have an idea for a simpler first practice game that isn't as juicy but doesn't need complex communication.

"You Only Live Twice."
When you are first lynched or NKed, you get moved to the other room and swap teams. A NKed townie from room 1 becomes a mafia in room 2, while a lynched mafia from room 1 becomes a townie in room 2. Those who start in room 2, move to room 1 in the same manner.
Roles are not revealed on first death. Game keeps going after mafia or town are eliminated in a room, since more will likely arrive from the other room, and the newcomers will have to try and show they've turned over a new leaf.
If you are killed a second time, then you're out for real. Game ends when normal victory conditions are met in both rooms and no further transfers will happen.
Bond flavour.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:40 pm UTC

Do you get to know if the newcomer was lynched or NKed?

Even if you don't I think I'd policy lynch whoever joins my room D2. They are most likely mafia since early deaths are usually town.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:42 am UTC

Telling room two it was an NK would give it away completely, so that would be an easy no.
Policy lynching would suck to be sure, but if all the deaths are bundled up into a single transfer, you would at least expect to have company on D2.

Would it be crazy to hold back the introduction of one townie for each side until D2, to dilute the probabilities and avoid double-tapping the first ones out by policy?

Return to “Mafia”