Mafia Avengers - Game Over - Skrull Supremacy!

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Vieto
Posts: 1558
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:44 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Mafia Avengers - Game Over - Skrull Supremacy!

Postby Vieto » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:33 am UTC

Image

Basic Rules:
Spoiler:
- Spoilers go in the discussion thread, and cannot be read unless you have died.
- Do not quote verbatim about your role or claimed role. Paraphrasing is fine
- Votes & unvotes must be in a separate line and be bolded like this
Vote Vieto
- You must unvote before revoting, else your new vote will not be counted.
- If you do not make a post for 3 days without good reason, your vote will be rendered void, unless you post twice within 36 hours.
- If you need to be replaced, tell me (ideally with warning)
- cc all pm’s to the mod (me)
- no editing posts
- no posting at nighttime
- If you die, don't say anything for the rest of the game except a simple, "Bah, you got me," which reveals no information if you wish.
- The day ends at hammer, or the deadline set, even if a mod is unavailable to make a day end post at that time.


Avenger-Specific Rules:
Spoiler:
- Day = 7 days, Night = 3 days
- Do not deliberately screw over your faction. Seriously, don’t do it. >:|
- Mafia and other factions may talk at night.
- Each player may choose from 1 of 3 sub-roles
- The mafia kill is controlled by the Godfather, and is passed down to another mafia member on death. Recruits are not passed down unless otherwise specified
- If you roleclaim, you void your vote for that day. (Confirming your role is fine, such as in the case of a cop reveal)
- Check back for changes to the roles/rules if something comes to my attention.


Order of night actions:
Spoiler:
- prior roleblocks take effect
-cops (but not follows) used before roleblocks are not roleblocked
- roleblocked players are told they are roleblocked upon having been done so
- any cops used after being roleblocked are blocked.
- all other actions (including follows) are processed at the end of the night.


Roles:
Spoiler:
Iron Man (Tony Stark)
Giant Man (Henry Pym)
Wasp (Janet Van Dyne)
The Hulk (Bruce Banner)
Thor
Black Panther (T'Challa)
Vision
Captain America (Steve Rogers)
Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff)
Ronin (Clint Barton)
Wolverine (James Howlett)
Ms. Marvel
Spiderman (Peter Parker) Deadpool (Wade Wilson, Ryan Reynolds, Nolan North)
Nick Fury
Red Skull (Johann Shmidt)
Loki
Norman Osborn
Dr. Victor von Doom
MODOK (George Tarleton)
Ultron
Skrull Captain
Skrull Soldier
Skrull Soldier
Skrull Soldier
Skrull Soldier


Player List:
Spoiler:
1. Angua Norman osbourn, Skrull, Dark Avenger recruiter, mafia traitor. Pretty much a triple agent.
2. ahammel Deadpool, cult (DA)
3. JesseScottOwen Loki, mafia
4. matt96
5. Eculc Ms. Marvel, town
6. Tim Dr. Doom, town
7. mpolo
8. Servant-of_Christ
9. greenlover
10. wam Red Skull, mafia
11. CaptainFinglass
12. Woopate Black Panther, town.
13. DaBigCheez Ultron, Cult (Ultron)
14. trineroks
15. Adam H Iron Man, skrull
16. flarpfreak Thor, town
17. ForAllOfThis Modok, mafia
18. Snark
19. roband
20. Lataro Captain America, Mason (avenger), proto-zombie


Replacements:
Spoiler:
1.
2.KrO2
3.AngrySquirrel
4.
5.




Do not post to confirm in thread. Sending me a PM with your choice of secondary ability is sufficient. Game will begin once all players are confirmed (and you guys in for a treat).

If you have any questions, about game mechanics, how to play, or anything please PM me and I’ll help out best I can (especially if it is role-related, but no note I will not spoil things to you).


I should mention that the game is inspired by the movie, but by no means based on it.
Last edited by Vieto on Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:42 am UTC, edited 29 times in total.

User avatar
Vieto
Posts: 1558
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:44 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Mafia Avengers - Pregame: Avengers Assemble!

Postby Vieto » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:58 pm UTC

Ok, I've received 14/20 PMs. I just need 6 more replies, and I can begin the game.

On a side note, In Canada the Avengers comes out on Starwars day, so I won't be seeing it until at least that date.

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Mafia Avengers - Pregame: Avengers Assemble!

Postby roband » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:01 pm UTC

I'm seeing it on Thursday! Excited is not the word.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5933
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Mafia Avengers - Pregame: Avengers Assemble!

Postby Angua » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:02 pm UTC

I'm either going on Friday or Saturday depending on my SO's schedule. (Can't do thursday as viva's on Friday - arrrggghhhh!!!)
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:25 am UTC

Re: Mafia Avengers - Pregame: Avengers Assemble!

Postby eculc » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:10 pm UTC

Not sure when I'm going to see it. Probably in the next few weeks or so.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5933
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Mafia Avengers - Pregame: Avengers Assemble!

Postby Angua » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:23 pm UTC

Tickets booked for Friday!!!!! SQUEEEEEEEE
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
flarpfreak
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:07 pm UTC
Location: Next to a salty body of water, no, it's not the ocean

Re: Mafia Avengers - Pregame: Avengers Assemble!

Postby flarpfreak » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:02 pm UTC

roband wrote:I'm seeing it on Thursday! Excited is not the word.


Me too!!! Even though excited doesn't fully cover it, I'm very excited :P

User avatar
Vieto
Posts: 1558
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:44 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Mafia Avengers - Pregame: Avengers Assemble!

Postby Vieto » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:15 am UTC

Image
Caption: And the mayor is dead too! Why would they do such a thing?


Yep, I'll try to make a comic for each phase.


Day 1
20 players alive, 11 votes for lynch.
Deadline: 7 days

User avatar
mpolo
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: Mafia Avengers - Day 1: Better than the movie

Postby mpolo » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:26 am UTC

There is something of an implication in the comic that the mafia (or some of the mafia) might actually be "heroes" who are actually mafia in disguise, which will make role claims and rolecops much more iffy. However, the role list gives us a good number of villain roles, so I may be reading too much into the flavor.

The "selection of powers" mechanic is going to make it less easy to know what a particular character can do. Which is probably ultimately good for us as town, as mafia will have a harder time knowing what to expect.

I have to admit that my Avengers knowledge is mostly confined to the main characters, so I'm not going to be a great one for making power guesses. I also won't be seeing the movie until it is out on DVD, most likely. (Not for not wanting to see it RIGHT NOW, of course...)
Image <-- Evil experiment

User avatar
wam
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:08 am UTC
Location: South England

Re: Mafia Avengers - Day 1: Better than the movie

Postby wam » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:37 am UTC

Right So in the spoilered list is all the roles and whether I think they are mafia or not. There are a few I am not familiar with so I have left those blank.

Spoiler:
Iron Man (Tony Stark) town
Giant Man (Henry Pym) ?
Wasp (Janet Van Dyne) town
The Hulk (Bruce Banner) town
Thor town
Black Panther (T'Challa) town
Vision town
Captain America (Steve Rogers) town
Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff) ?
Ronin (Clint Barton) Town
Wolverine (James Howlett) Town
Deadpool (Wade Wilson, Ryan Reynolds, Nolan North) Town
Nick Fury town
Red Skull (Johann Shmidt) mafia
Loki mafia
Norman Osborn ?
Dr. Victor von Doom Mafia
MODOK (George Tarleton) Mafia
Ultron Mafia
Skrull Captain Mafia


That makes 13/7 town to scum based on my best guesses. Would someone whos more experienced like to comment on how this looks balance wise?

I would assume that in a game this size we may have a few independants. The other thing I noticed in the opening flavour was the mention of recruits. Do people think we have a recruiting cult or masons? Or both of course!
Come join us playing mafia signup here

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Mafia Avengers - Day 1: Better than the movie

Postby roband » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:56 am UTC

Sup. So, my thoughts on the characters (green=town, red=scum, black=I don't know)

Spoiler:
Iron Man (Tony Stark)
Giant Man (Henry Pym)
Wasp (Janet Van Dyne)
The Hulk (Bruce Banner)
Thor

Black Panther (T'Challa)
Vision
Captain America (Steve Rogers)
Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff)
Ronin (Clint Barton)
Wolverine (James Howlett)
Spiderman (Peter Parker) Deadpool (Wade Wilson, Ryan Reynolds, Nolan North) in blue because he almost certainly has his own agenda
Nick Fury
Red Skull (Johann Shmidt)
Loki
Norman Osborn
Dr. Victor von Doom
MODOK (George Tarleton)
Ultron
Skrull Captain


So yeah, I don't know about more of those than I thought :(

Mpolo - I suspect the flavour is just that, flavour. Otherwise, we're saying that Cpt America, Hulk and Iron Man all know who each other are. Which I doubt.
Speculation - The last game had a group of seemingly unrelated bad guys as the scum group. I suspect this will be the same - however what with Loki being the new film's BigBad, I suspect he might not work with Dr von Doom. Is 2 scum factions a possibility? As noted above - it would not surprise me to see Deadpool doing all sorts of wacky stuff.

One thing I would like to say - be wary of voting anywhere near the hammer mark, I have reason to believe there are vote altering powers around and possibly powers affecting the hammerer.

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Mafia Avengers - Day 1: Better than the movie

Postby roband » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:56 am UTC

Beaten to the punch on character analysis :D And wam's is better too. Ignore mine please :)

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5933
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Mafia Avengers - Day 1: Better than the movie

Postby Angua » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:45 am UTC

Google to the rescue:
Norman Osbourne is the green goblin from spiderman, so probably mafia.

Anyone notice that the role list seems to be from town to mafia? I can think of some roles that would work for some of the Characters that I'm familiar with - eg Nick Fury could be some sort of recruiting mason, Tony Stark could be an inventor, Wolverine could be Nk immune, etc. I don't actually know the mafia characters too well - though Loki could be a godfather given the fact that he can create illusions (the rationale for why ninetails was a godfather in pokemafia). Obviously with the fact that we can choose our own powers, it's hard to know how helpful these ideas are. Mafia could possibly also have an inventing role (given that Osbourne and Dr von Doom owned tech companies in the movies).

As for cults - do any of the baddies have mind-control powers? That could be a mechanism (and after Firefly I'm not going to discount the possibility of having a scum team and a cult around).
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
wam
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:08 am UTC
Location: South England

Re: Mafia Avengers - Day 1: Better than the movie

Postby wam » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:05 am UTC

Yeah I noticed that the list went from town to mafia as well. That was where my guess of 13/7 came from. However, that seems a little bit too convieniant to me!
Come join us playing mafia signup here

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Mafia Avengers - Day 1: Better than the movie

Postby roband » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:48 am UTC

Scum abilities:

Ultron -
Spoiler:
Wikipedia seems to suggest he can do everything. Very powerful, hard to kill, but the most interesting (read: scary) part is mind control - apparently he can "mesmerize and mind-control victims, or implant subliminal hypnotic commands within their minds to be enacted at a later time". Sheee-it.

Dr VvD -
Spoiler:
My role in the last Marvel game. Likely to be very powerful. Scientific genius. Was an inventor last time - I suspect something similar.

Green Goblin -
Spoiler:
Lowish level, in the grand scheme of bad guys, I suspect. No notable powers, other than his floaty disc thing as far as I know?

MODOK -
Spoiler:
Oh, so apparently is stands for Mobile Organism Designed Only for Killing. Awesome. Coupled with "He also has the ability to calculate the mathematical probability of any given event occurring; an ability so strong that it borders on precognition. (...) also has psionic powers enabling him to mentally control both individuals and large groups, and generate force fields able to withstand minor nuclear explosions". Fuckin' scary. I dread to think which of these powers he has.

Skrull captain -
Spoiler:
"The Skrulls later developed the ability to render themselves undetectable when using their shapeshifting abilities, even from telepaths and those with superior senses." So I suspect mind control powers will not work on them. "Courtesy of their advanced technology, the Skrulls have also been able to augment their abilities in certain warriors, such as the Super Skrull and War Skrulls - an elite group who with special encoding are able to emulate the powers as well as appearance of their templates" - possible role/power 'copiers'? Targets someone and gets their appearance/powers.

Loki -
Spoiler:
Angua's idea of a godfather due to illusions is more than possible. Also, as a 'god' I suspect he can do almost anything.
"superhuman strength; stamina (his Frost Giant metabolism grants him superhuman levels of physical stamina in practically all activities); durability; and immunity to all known diseases and toxins, as well as some resistance to magic. (...) possesses the ability to manipulate magical forces for a variety of purposes: energy projection, creation of force fields, temporarily increasing his own physical strength, granting superhuman abilities to living beings or inanimate objects, flight, hypnosis, illusion casting, and inter-dimensional teleportation. (...) His illusion casting can fool cities (...) Apparently, Loki possesses some extrasensory abilities and is capable of astral projection and casting his thoughts across great distances—even across dimensional barriers, like that between Asgard and Earth—even if he is unable to move. He cannot read the minds of other beings, although he can influence their actions, and once briefly hypnotized Thor (...) If someone has evil thoughts, Loki can influence their actions and he can influence other events to a degree, such as driving a missile from its path or redirecting a radio signal. (...) Loki is an adept shapeshifter and can impersonate other people, such as Thor or Captain America. However, he does not necessarily gain the abilities of whatever he turns into, although minor natural abilities such as flight in bird form tend to work. At times Loki imbues himself with magical abilities that enable him to withstand injuries that would prove fatal to another Asgardian, such as being beheaded by Balder. Loki crafted a method of cheating death. He will be reincarnated upon any "death" of his body (...) Aside from his mystical abilities, Loki possesses a brilliant intellect. However, his arrogance, his passionate hatred of Thor, and all-consuming lust for power greatly impeded his ability to bring his well-laid plans to fruition."

So basically, I think Loki is going to be mega powerful, but maybe only once Thor is dead? I hope so anyway.

Sorry, I went a bit overboard on Loki there. Point is, he's scary. I really hope we have a decently powerful town here!

I would say that cop results will be difficult to trust, so town inventors - avoid this type of invention, in my opinion.
I doubt we have any standard cop powers, due to my belief that people can disguise themselves, but if we do - take results with a pinch of salt.

As previously mentioned, I don't think it's a good idea to spec town powers.

User avatar
ForAllOfThis
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:06 pm UTC

Re: Mafia Avengers - Day 1: Better than the movie

Postby ForAllOfThis » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:13 pm UTC

Good rolespec roband on the vilains. I had no idea who ultron, MODOK or Skrull Captain was. I read more into the green goblin though as I felt it was lacking, and I have to say, he seems scary because he seems to be one of the most influential villains in the Marvel universe. He has healing abilities on par with wolverine which prevent him dieing on numerous occassions, is very intelligent and physically able. In one of the storylines he replaces Tony Stark as head of S.H.I.E.L.D, turning it into a more villainous H.A.M.M.E.R, which pursues his own agenda. He also gets turned into a power absorbng mutant for some time (like rouge from x-men or peter petrelli from Heroes). He also seems to be head of the Dark Avengers, which is pretty relevant seeing as we are playing an Avengers based game (although it seems much of the dark avengers cast is missing from the player roster, so seems unlikely to be a scum squad). He seems to take the 'leader' role in a lot of the groups he is part of.

CaptainFinglass
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:43 am UTC
Location: Canada ~*P

Re: Mafia Avengers - Day 1: Better than the movie

Postby CaptainFinglass » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:17 pm UTC

Just to add to the bit about Ultron, he also could be an inventor of some sort. In the comics, he made several organic cyborgs which were basically minor heroes he could control. There was one story arc where he sent them to the Avengers actually. In that particular fun story, they acted completely normal, but ended up killing a fair few of the Avengers... Just to add to our worries there. So there could be an Inventor or Recruiting role of some sort attached to him as well.
Allons-y!

User avatar
flarpfreak
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:07 pm UTC
Location: Next to a salty body of water, no, it's not the ocean

Re: Mafia Avengers - Day 1: Better than the movie

Postby flarpfreak » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:45 pm UTC

I wonder if MODOK will have some sort of vote control ability, seeing as in the comics he could mind control people.
Wait, what?

User avatar
DaBigCheez
Posts: 836
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 am UTC

Re: Mafia Avengers - Day 1: Better than the movie

Postby DaBigCheez » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:22 pm UTC

Rolespec time!

So, I don't have a ton of knowledge about all the Marvel characters (I know about 3/4 of the ones in this game off-hand), but a quick look at some wikis can help make up for that. It looks like the roles list has actually changed since I was looking at it last night - did anyone else notice this, or is my memory just on the fritz? (To be specific, the replacement of Spiderman with Deadpool, the addition of the Skrull Captain, and I could swear Ms. Marvel wasn't on there between Wolverine and Spiderman Deadpool before. And a curious thing is, with the Skrull Captain added to the list, we're at 21 roles for 20 players - ahroo?)

For a hopefully obvious reason, I'm only going to be rolespeccing on the scumroles - there's going to be a lot of uncertainty with the multiple role options, but hopefully it should give us some clues what we might have to contend with. I'm only passingly familiar with most of their motivations, though, so I don't know how much sense it makes for various scum to be working together. I know Red Skull, Dr. Doom, MODOK and Ultron have each headed their own organizations; I'm less certain about Loki, Norman Osborn (Green Goblin) and the Skrull Captain. I *think* they prefer to work alone, but I'm not certain, and that probably doesn't have a lot of relevance here anyway.

I agree with previous posters that the list seems to be ordered town-to-scum (barring some kind of anti-backwards mod-fakeout in that regard). Just thinking of possible layouts, I think a 14/6 (14/7?!) or 14/5/1 (14/6/1?!) setup is most likely - most of the scum have no real reason to trust each other, so any mafia formed out of them would kind of ignore interpersonal associations anyway. For game-balance reasons, I think a two-opposing-mafias setup is unlikely with this number of scum roles. However, I think the odds of a serial killer are pretty high - probably MODOK or Ultron, which seem like the most genocidal villains of the lot. Both of them have mind control powers, so it's also possible that they could be a cult leader instead (or it could be a 14/4/1/1 (14/5/1/1?!) setup with one as SK and one as cult, but that seems kinda skewed balance-wise).

My best guesses as to scum powers (spoilered for length):
Spoiler:
-Red Skull: Un-powered, super-soldierdom notwithstanding, so a probable candidate for some kind of rolecop/watcher/tracker role (possibly through his network of minions). Aside from Green Goblin, he's the one I have the fewest guesses about.

-Loki: A trickster god, so he'll probably have abilities meant to mess with us. In particular, I'm guessing he might have had, among his choices, a Redirect power (seems trickstery enough), being a Godfather through illusions, or possibly being an Evidence Planter (making others into millers - might be a little weak compared to his others, this could be a regular Roleblock or something but that seems a bit straightforward for him. Maybe instead of an Evidence Planter, can check for cop results on his target and change them to what he wants?). Possible Voterigger?

-Norman Osborn/Green Goblin: The other one I don't really have many ideas about. Arsonist, maybe, but that'd seem a bit OP as a scum role. Extremely fast healing rate makes me think possible ability to survive a lynch/kill (possibly needing to be killed twice in one day/night cycle, if we have a vig). Possibly able to Watch people from his flying disk. Possible Inventor.

-Dr. Doom: Very much a cunning manipulator from behind the scenes, and tends to send out Doombots to do his dirty work. I'm thinking possibilities are Godfather, one-shot kill immunity (since it hits a Doombot instead), and an Inventor. Possible voterigger?

-MODOK: Listed as very fragile, so probably no lynch/kill-immunities, but can create force fields - possible scumdoc or roleblocker? Ability to "probe the minds of others" implies possible rolecop. Near-precog-level calculation powers...I'm not really sure what that would translate into in-game. WARNING: POSSESSES MIND CONTROL POWERS!

-Ultron: Keeps rebuilding himself after being destroyed, so possible one-shot rez or similar. Sleep ray might act as a roleblock, but "implanting hypnotic suggestions to be carried out later" implies something more dangerous - forced votes, or the ability to control their actions a later night? Roboticist able to make robot clones and transport his consciousness into them - possibly watcher-immune due to not being tracable back to the source, or possible inventor? WARNING: POSSESSES MIND CONTROL POWERS!

-Skrull Captain: Able to shapeshift, so almost certainly able to defeat cop results. Invisibility, so he might be able to Jailkeeper himself or something similar, hiding for the night but not acting while he does (or possibly just full night-action immunity if he doesn't have any other powers). Force-fields and a paralyzation beam point to possible Roleblocking. Still confused about his late addition - has worked under Dr. Doom before, possibly related to a Doom power? WARNING: POSSESSES MIND CONTROL POWERS!


TL;DR: with three separate scum with mind-control powers listed in their portfolios, I think the odds of cult and/or vote-forcing are pretty high. There's also a couple (most notably Loki) that I think could muck with cop results - that's not a reason to disregard cop results without further corroboration, just be aware of the possibility. I think Loki should be our first priority to hunt down if we have the chance, just because trickster god powers seem apt to sow a *lot* of confusion. (No, I'm not seriously expecting us to be able to pick and choose which scum to lynch, but it would certainly be nice.)
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

User avatar
Snark
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:22 pm UTC

Re: Mafia Avengers - Day 1: Better than the movie

Postby Snark » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:26 pm UTC

I agree with what webby and roband said about vote-powers. I had the option, as I'm guessing they also did, to choose a power that would make me immune to vote-manipulation. So let's be careful about putting people near the hammer until we're ready to lynch them. Not sure what other types of vote manipulation to watch out for.

Given that we have a list of characters to pull from, I thought that a mass role-claim would be heavily in town's interest, but Vieto told me by PM that it would help out various cults in the game. And he also told me he was going to add a new rule. This can now be found in the OP:
If you roleclaim, you void your vote for that day. (Confirming your role is fine, such as in the case of a cop reveal)

So do with that what you like. I think the mafia should role-claim, but that's just my personal opinion.

Other than that, let's hope this isn't like the first Avengers game where Captain America was killed by mafia in the middle of D1. That would be annoying.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?


Avatar by Matt

User avatar
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:25 am UTC

Re: Mafia Avengers - Day 1: Better than the movie

Postby eculc » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:07 pm UTC

Here's my take on some of them, in no particular order, spoilered for length:

Spoiler:
MODOK: Mind control might be a vote control or action redirect. in fact, that goes for anyone who has mind-control powers. I can see the force-field thing being a scumdoc-power too. Statistical analysis to me implies outside information, and I couldn't say what that would lead to.

Red Skull: If there is a cult, I could see him being a recruiter, or possibly an inventor for scum. actually, I could see him being a godfather as well, considering how he's (one of the) leader(s) of HYDRA.

Loki: Illusions might be a power redirect. shapeshifting might also be a power redirect. Self-healing from fatal injuries might be a one-shot res or just general NK immunity.

Norman osborn: Healing to survive lethal damage, again probably a res or NK immunity. also might be an inventor.

Ultron: self repair (I think you already know this one.) possibly an inventor, or (like MODOK) information processing/statistical analysis. wikipedia notes a vulnerability to scarlet witch.

Dr. VvD: Inventor, "doombots" could be a scumdoc. steals/replicates powers of of others. resists mind-control powers.

Skrull Captain: shapeshifting. I suspect a SK, due to the fact that skrulls are aliens and don't seem like they would be aligned with either party.

Deadpool: I'm bringing him up here, not to rolespec him, but to point out that he's been on both sides of the conflict (according to wikipedia, anyways) and he could go either way, or be an independent.


granted, all of that is coming off of wikipedia and translated into ways that it could make sense in the context of a mafia game.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

User avatar
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:25 am UTC

Re: Mafia Avengers - Day 1: Better than the movie

Postby eculc » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:10 pm UTC

EBWOP:

Dr. VvD: Inventor, "doombots" could be a scumdoc. steals/replicates powers of of others. resists mind-control powers. As well, rules say that mafia-NK is controlled by the godfather, and wikipedia specifically mentions his ego/overconfidence in tactics, so I'm going to guess godfather here too.

edit is underlined.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

User avatar
greenlover
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:56 am UTC

Re: Mafia Avengers - Day 1: Better than the movie

Postby greenlover » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:20 pm UTC

So. Flavor spec. I'm really honestly flavor blind in this game. I know, this is marvel, blah blah blah. But I really don't know all that much about comic book heros and the sort. I would suspect that Loci would be a godfather of sorts, though, given that he is so skilled with illusions and the sort (as I think has already been said). However...

Snark wrote:Given that we have a list of characters to pull from, I thought that a mass role-claim would be heavily in town's interest, but Vieto told me by PM that it would help out various cults in the game.

The prospect of a cult sounds rather nasty. Do any of you flavor knowledgeable folks have any idea which roles would most likely be cult recruiters?

User avatar
Adam H
Posts: 1267
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

Re: Mafia Avengers - Day 1: Better than the movie

Postby Adam H » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:34 pm UTC

Snark wrote:I think the mafia should role-claim, but that's just my personal opinion.
I second the motion! :D

I know nothing about the flavor, nor do I have plans to see the movie any time soon. But I'll speculate anyways!

I'm guessing we have a couple different scum factions. If any have mind control, that sounds like a recruiting power. Maybe they can only cult some of the roles (which means roleclaiming benefits cult like Snark said). Perhaps someone who knows the flavor can guess which roles those would be?

Also, how often do villains team up? There might just be 1-2 small scum teams of 2-3 players each and 2-4 indies (SK, cult recruiter, lyncher). Or if the villains form an anti-justic league (yes, I know, wrong comics) then it might be more like a 14-5-1 setup.
-Adam

User avatar
Snark
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:22 pm UTC

Re: Mafia Avengers - Day 1: Better than the movie

Postby Snark » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:39 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:I'm guessing we have a couple different scum factions. If any have mind control, that sounds like a recruiting power. Maybe they can only cult some of the roles (which means roleclaiming benefits cult like Snark said). Perhaps someone who knows the flavor can guess which roles those would be?


How would that information help town?
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?


Avatar by Matt

User avatar
Adam H
Posts: 1267
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

Re: Mafia Avengers - Day 1: Better than the movie

Postby Adam H » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:50 pm UTC

So we can have an idea of how likely it is that a role has been culted or not, I guess.

If it's true that only some roles can be culted, I'd assume that the cult recruiter would already know which roles. But if that's not for certain, then I agree that we shouldn't help them out...

The way I see it is if scum knows something then there's no point in the townies hiding it from each other.
-Adam

User avatar
Snark
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:22 pm UTC

Re: Mafia Avengers - Day 1: Better than the movie

Postby Snark » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:01 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:So we can have an idea of how likely it is that a role has been culted or not, I guess.

If it's true that only some roles can be culted, I'd assume that the cult recruiter would already know which roles. But if that's not for certain, then I agree that we shouldn't help them out...

The way I see it is if scum knows something then there's no point in the townies hiding it from each other.


It's not for certain. Unless you know what a cult leader's PM looks like.

Your other two points (the first and last) I agree with though. I'm not sure whether your second point outweighs the first and last or vice versa.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?


Avatar by Matt

User avatar
t1mm01994
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:16 pm UTC
Location: San Francisco.. Wait up, I'll tell you some tales!

Re: Mafia Avengers - Day 1: Better than the movie

Postby t1mm01994 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:11 pm UTC

Vote: Adam H
for being obviscum.
Unvote

Sorry man, I had to.

Back to seriousmode. Flavourblind. Either of Adam and Snark is scummy, just can't decide which one yet. I'm sleepy. Goodnight.

User avatar
ahammel
My Little Cabbage
Posts: 2135
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:46 am UTC
Location: Vancouver BC
Contact:

Re: Mafia Avengers - Day 1: Better than the movie

Postby ahammel » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:18 pm UTC

I don't know about anybody else, but I got such a mixed bag of subroles in my PM that I wouldn't be especially surprised to see any combination of scum and town powers.

I would be surprised if there was an out-and-out cult, however, just because of the relative sizes of the mafia and town factions. 13 vs 7 plus a cult seems quite unbalanced against town. If I had to guess, I'd say that at least one of the mind-control villains was offered a limited culting ability (probably 1-shot) and took it. There's also the possibility that one or more of the villainous roles is indie, as that lot aren't really known for getting on well with one another.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

User avatar
ForAllOfThis
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:06 pm UTC

Re: Mafia Avengers - Day 1: Better than the movie

Postby ForAllOfThis » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:21 pm UTC

t1mm01994 wrote:Vote: Adam H
for being obviscum.
Unvote

Sorry man, I had to.


Why? Do you have some sort of voting restriction?

User avatar
Snark
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:22 pm UTC

Re: Mafia Avengers - Day 1: Better than the movie

Postby Snark » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:30 pm UTC

3rd then 4th from last.

This will be used later in the day (D1, not an IRL day). Just wanted to go on record now. That is all.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?


Avatar by Matt

User avatar
JesseScottOwen
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:46 pm UTC
Location: In the Cloud
Contact:

Re: Mafia Avengers - Day 1: Better than the movie

Postby JesseScottOwen » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:33 pm UTC

Gah! I just typed a big long freaking post, and I lost it. I hate myself. Abridged version: I agree with Ahammel's last post. There's no telling what people picked. Also, this flavor rocks.
"And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them."

I'm giving up smiling for Lent. Not really.

User avatar
flarpfreak
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:07 pm UTC
Location: Next to a salty body of water, no, it's not the ocean

Re: Mafia Avengers - Day 1: Better than the movie

Postby flarpfreak » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:51 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:I don't know about anybody else, but I got such a mixed bag of subroles in my PM that I wouldn't be especially surprised to see any combination of scum and town powers.

I would be surprised if there was an out-and-out cult, however, just because of the relative sizes of the mafia and town factions. 13 vs 7 plus a cult seems quite unbalanced against town. If I had to guess, I'd say that at least one of the mind-control villains was offered a limited culting ability (probably 1-shot) and took it. There's also the possibility that one or more of the villainous roles is indie, as that lot aren't really known for getting on well with one another.


I was wondering from the start if one of the villains would be indie. Also, the power of the scum vs. the power of the town may depend on what sub-roles people picked.
Wait, what?

User avatar
Woopate
Scrapple
Posts: 503
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:34 am UTC

Re: Mafia Avengers - Day 1: Better than the movie

Postby Woopate » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:35 am UTC

ahammel wrote:I don't know about anybody else, but I got such a mixed bag of subroles in my PM that I wouldn't be especially surprised to see any combination of scum and town powers.

I would be surprised if there was an out-and-out cult, however, just because of the relative sizes of the mafia and town factions. 13 vs 7 plus a cult seems quite unbalanced against town. If I had to guess, I'd say that at least one of the mind-control villains was offered a limited culting ability (probably 1-shot) and took it. There's also the possibility that one or more of the villainous roles is indie, as that lot aren't really known for getting on well with one another.

Yes, my role choices were highly varied as well, so accurate rolespec seems tricky at best. My role format was 'You have (A) ability(ies), plus choose X from list: (B)(C){paraphrased and obfuscation of all potential numbers gleaned from interpreting this}' where (A) was the most obvious one for who I was. As a result, I do not think basing decisions off of secondary ability spec is wise (ex. Magneto controls metal and magnetic fields. It is alright to spec on this. Magneto has a suit with metal in it so he can fly himself about, and a psychic-blocking helmet. If all the information we have on him is "he is magneto", we should not presume to guess if he chose helmet or metal suit)

I am flavorblind save the movies, and will soon sit down and read the wiki pages for these guys. It may take a few rl days since Wiki articles on comic heroes lead to a thousand tabs.

User avatar
Woopate
Scrapple
Posts: 503
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:34 am UTC

Re: Mafia Avengers - Day 1: Better than the movie

Postby Woopate » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:43 am UTC

EBWOP: the choices make it easy for someone to claim abilities they do not have. In fact, they can believably claim any secondary ability they recieved an option for.

Does a falseclaim lose you a vote as well

If not, we need to watch for falseclaim then hammer, or close-to-deadline vote. It would pretty much raise the scumometer to 100% but if such a move won the game or put my scumbuddies into a position to win easy, I'd do it.

User avatar
Vieto
Posts: 1558
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:44 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Mafia Avengers - Day 1: Better than the movie

Postby Vieto » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:45 am UTC

Woopate wrote:EBWOP: the choices make it easy for someone to claim abilities they do not have. In fact, they can believably claim any secondary ability they recieved an option for.

Does a falseclaim lose you a vote as well

If not, we need to watch for falseclaim then hammer, or close-to-deadline vote. It would pretty much raise the scumometer to 100% but if such a move won the game or put my scumbuddies into a position to win easy, I'd do it.


Yes

User avatar
t1mm01994
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:16 pm UTC
Location: San Francisco.. Wait up, I'll tell you some tales!

Re: Mafia Avengers - Day 1: Better than the movie

Postby t1mm01994 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:48 am UTC

@Faot: Nah, I was just showing some love to my best buddy Adam :)

@Snark: Wut. That'd be.. JSO and FAOT? What up about them? If they die soon, you probably should die, too.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5933
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Mafia Avengers - Day 1: Better than the movie

Postby Angua » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:01 am UTC

Well, we seem to have scum roles fairly well analysed - I can't really think of much else to add there. As for culting, it might be nerfed down, or might not (in firefly mafia we got to keep our powers after being culted, and still lost, thanks to psychic Amy) - could be one or two of our villains working together, vs the others of the villains working together (with one or two of them independents). In Doctor Who mafia (which is the last one I played which had a bunch of random villains working together), the scum were all supposed to turn on each other at the end to help balance it out, but they started out working together.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Mafia Avengers - Day 1: Better than the movie

Postby roband » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:17 am UTC

@Tim, do us a favour and quote stuff you're replying to? Makes it easier than tracking bad to find out what someone said :)

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Mafia Avengers - Day 1: Better than the movie

Postby roband » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:18 am UTC

EBWOP: *tracking back


Return to “Mafia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests