The Modalities and Practicalities of Hell

Post your reality fanfiction here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Dr34m(4+(h3r

The Modalities and Practicalities of Hell

Postby Dr34m(4+(h3r » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:41 pm UTC

https://www.docdroid.net/D6zA9as/the-mo ... f-hell.pdf

Philosophy offers many ontological and metaphysical speculations and doctrines. In our current, materialist age, it can be hard not to see these as merely metaphors or impartial glimpses of more mundane truths. This is unfair to the concepts in question, since they once stood quite handily on their own, as part of larger networks of knowledge and thought that have since been lost to all but a small number of academics, religious experts, and diligent hobbyists at best. However, unfair or not, it is in the nature of philosophical ideas to be subsumed into new networks of knowledge and new paradigms of thought, and it would be remiss of us not to explore the potential implications of this as it pertains to some of the more significant metaphysical doctrines of the world. Old ideas are never abandoned, they are appropriated when useful. To understand what ideas may be useful in the future, it is simple enough to look at what ideas have been useful in the past.

Some of the most widespread and socially influential doctrines in the world are doctrines of hell. Most major religions of the world have some doctrine of hell, including Christianity, Buddhism, Islam, and Hinduism. While these doctrines differ in their descriptions of the intensity, nature, causes, duration, and permanence of hell, they typically hold that hell is a literal place where people are punished for transgressions or behaviors. In some cases hell is purely punitive, and in others it is rehabilitative, but in most cases it is real. The doctrine of hell’s reality, its cultural potency, and its potential implementability in the context of future technologies, all make hell doctrines a concept to watch as the boundaries between metaphysical and mundane physical interpretations blur due to improvements in science and technology and resulting cultural shifts.

By necessity, discussions about hell in any context are likely to be very morally loaded. I am not here to offer my moral opinion on any particular issue, but to explore a variety of potential technologies that might correspond to a literal hell in the future, as well as what the utility or liability of these technologies might be in the future. Lastly, to the extent of my ability I will try to discuss the potential overlap of these techniques, technologies, and their utilities and liabilities, with more traditional hell concepts.

(see short attached document for the rest)

elasto

Re: The Modalities and Practicalities of Hell

Postby elasto » Thu May 02, 2019 1:51 pm UTC

Have you seen Black Mirror's "White Christmas"? It's a brilliant episode that covers many of the areas you explore.

(The "Black Museum" episode also explores similar ideas but I feel "White Christmas" to be superior)

Dr34m(4+(h3r

Re: The Modalities and Practicalities of Hell

Postby Dr34m(4+(h3r » Sat May 04, 2019 8:19 am UTC

elasto wrote:Have you seen Black Mirror's "White Christmas"? It's a brilliant episode that covers many of the areas you explore.

(The "Black Museum" episode also explores similar ideas but I feel "White Christmas" to be superior)

I haven't seen White Christmas, but Black Mirror is a lot of fun. Probably all of that will happen. I guess these ideas are very much in the air right now, I just wanted to add my voice to the discussion or whatever.

Return to “Fictional Science”