If you could change the laws of physics...

Post your reality fanfiction here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Re: If you could change the laws of physics...

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

Ringer wrote:If we're allowed some new control over physical laws or specific phenomenon, and Klear says "let serotonin and dopamine fill every synapse", we are all going to be pretty damn happy. Unfortunately it would also be a lot like being stoned all the time, and we would lose the motivation to do anything (including eat or reproduce). The human race would die with giant smiles and a long-ass 'To Do' list.
Careful you don't accidentally make Reavers in the process.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

elasto

Postby elasto » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:03 am UTC

I actually think that's the most plausible answer to the Fermi Paradox: I could easily see how, within the next century or two, humanity could have the ability to exist in a state of permanent bliss and live entirely in virtual worlds - whether that's via biological interfaces or through uploading into hardware entirely.

And, once you can manipulate and explore a virtual universe - a universe that feels exactly as real as this one but without any physical limits or danger, why on earth would you be out exploring the real universe? Just have some AI ships patrol your solar system to prevent any danger from outsiders interfering and go spent a near-eternity in your sandbox fun-house.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:55 am UTC

I suspect there would always be some people who would be horrified by the thought of spending their entire lives blissing out in a virtual world. The only way to stop these rebels waking up would be to make everyone forget that it's not real.

Now how do you know we're not already in such a virtual reality? If it's possible to simulate universes (and there's no indication at this point that it isn't), then its probable that the vast majority of universes are simulated.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Klear

Postby Klear » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:The only way to stop these rebels waking up would be to make everyone forget that it's not real.

Why would anyone stop them? As long as they wont interfere with the unlives of everybody else, there's no need for conflict.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:56 pm UTC

Because Vectron commands it!
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:22 pm UTC

elasto wrote:I actually think that's the most plausible answer to the Fermi Paradox: I could easily see how, within the next century or two, humanity could have the ability to exist in a state of permanent bliss and live entirely in virtual worlds - whether that's via biological interfaces or through uploading into hardware entirely.

And, once you can manipulate and explore a virtual universe - a universe that feels exactly as real as this one but without any physical limits or danger, why on earth would you be out exploring the real universe? Just have some AI ships patrol your solar system to prevent any danger from outsiders interfering and go spent a near-eternity in your sandbox fun-house.

More processing power, obviously. Once you're already a virtual god, might as well go all out, and that means more power. One sun can only supply so many ergs, and anyway, it'll only last a few billion years. Gotta farm the universe to make sure you can keep civilization going for as long as possible.

SlyReaper wrote:I suspect there would always be some people who would be horrified by the thought of spending their entire lives blissing out in a virtual world. The only way to stop these rebels waking up would be to make everyone forget that it's not real.

What do you mean "waking up"? This isn't silly pseudoscience like The Matrix. Your mind has been uploaded. There is no longer any body to "wake up" to.

Now how do you know we're not already in such a virtual reality? If it's possible to simulate universes (and there's no indication at this point that it isn't), then its probable that the vast majority of universes are simulated.

Because it's so much more likely that we're in a Peggy-Sue timeline.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

liberonscien
-ce

Postby liberonscien » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:30 am UTC

I would make a rare element be an all purpose material when mixed with the right substances.
Warning: This user is currently questioning its beliefs. This user offers its sincerest apologies if it accidentally offends another user. This user never offends others on purpose and may accidentally offend other users because it lacks knowledge regarding how to be a normal human.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:36 pm UTC

We already have some all-purpose elements that are extremely common--namely hydrogen, carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen. Literally every non-mineral that we use is made up chiefly of these four elements.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:10 pm UTC

Perhaps something like Newmatter?

lorb

Postby lorb » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:02 pm UTC

Fill outer space, maybe with water so we could ride a U-boat to mars.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
http://decodedarfur.org/

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:53 am UTC

lorb wrote:Fill outer space, maybe with water so we could ride a U-boat to mars.

Be aware of species 8472 http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Fluidic_space
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Return to “Fictional Science”