What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

What if there was a forum for discussing these?

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26727
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:40 pm UTC

SuperSteve wrote:Before it melts, vaporizes, etc., it will glow. We know this is what it does when it gets hot, because it has been used for filaments in incandescent light bulbs.

This raises a bizarre point. To conserve electricity, the U.S. government has prohibited incandescent lighting over a certain wattage.

Does throwing tungsten into the sun, causing to it to glow with a wattage in excess of the legal limit, violate this law?
Pretty sure the law doesn't say "you shall not by any means whatsoever allow more than this wattage to go through tungsten in any form", so you're probably safe.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Whizbang
The Best Reporter
Posts: 2238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby Whizbang » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:06 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:
jgh wrote:
Who the hell uses GRANITE for counter tops? Do you know how heavy granite is? Do you know what the cupboard carcases that will be attempting to stop that worktop plummeting through the kitchen floor and into the ground are made of? Chipboard. That's sawdust held together with glue. Where the hell has this obsession for using masonry for work surfaces come from?



Granite is actually very common for countertops.

In all honesty, it can be pretty awesome. Durable. Heat resistant (for hot pans)... yeah. Granite countertops are pretty great.


Like slate roofing, I hear.


But it is also porous. This can lead to bacteria growing in the countertop, despite regular cleaning. Granite must be treated/sealed every six months or so. I prefer solid surface material for this reason. Not quite as heavy, not quite as expensive, seamless, and cracks and scratches can be repaired much easier than granite.

User avatar
Red Hal
Magically Delicious
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:42 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby Red Hal » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:59 pm UTC

Prosthetic_Lips wrote:My favorite "a ha" moment here was the "thousands of kilometers" note/citation. I think we need to start using SI prefixes for our larger numbers.

How far is it from the earth to the sun? Wiki says 1.496 x 108. Instead, it should be 149.6 megameters, or 0.1496 gigameters.

How far from the sun to the galactic core? Wiki says 2.7 x 1017. That's hard to say; how about 270 petameters? A quarter of an exameter?
It's around 93 million miles from earth to the sun IIRC so something's up here. I believe that's 1.496 x 108 km which would be 149.6 Gm or 0.1496 Tm. A quick google gives 1au as 149 597 870 700 metres, which confirms this.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

User avatar
forward4
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:40 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby forward4 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:59 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
Djehutynakht wrote:
jgh wrote:
Who the hell uses GRANITE for counter tops? Do you know how heavy granite is? Do you know what the cupboard carcases that will be attempting to stop that worktop plummeting through the kitchen floor and into the ground are made of? Chipboard. That's sawdust held together with glue. Where the hell has this obsession for using masonry for work surfaces come from?



Granite is actually very common for countertops.

In all honesty, it can be pretty awesome. Durable. Heat resistant (for hot pans)... yeah. Granite countertops are pretty great.


Like slate roofing, I hear.


But it is also porous. This can lead to bacteria growing in the countertop, despite regular cleaning. Granite must be treated/sealed every six months or so. I prefer solid surface material for this reason. Not quite as heavy, not quite as expensive, seamless, and cracks and scratches can be repaired much easier than granite.


The only real reason granite is a popular countertop is it looks pretty. Most people don't know/care about the health and weight disadvantages, all they know is its pretty and makes you look rich. Which, if you have real granite countertops, you probably are as it's terribly expensive.
Minecraft and Mathematics; dragons and dinosaurs; raptors and rotational forces

User avatar
Klear
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:43 am UTC
Location: Prague

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby Klear » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:30 pm UTC

SuperSteve wrote:This raises a bizarre point. To conserve electricity, the U.S. government has prohibited incandescent lighting over a certain wattage.

Does throwing tungsten into the sun, causing to it to glow with a wattage in excess of the legal limit, violate this law?


Since when is Sun american soil? Since when is it soil, even?

User avatar
Whizbang
The Best Reporter
Posts: 2238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby Whizbang » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:45 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
SuperSteve wrote:This raises a bizarre point. To conserve electricity, the U.S. government has prohibited incandescent lighting over a certain wattage.

Does throwing tungsten into the sun, causing to it to glow with a wattage in excess of the legal limit, violate this law?


Since when is Sun american soil? Since when is it soil, even?


Since it floats over American soil. Same reason you can't fly planes over American soil without a license. Same reason we own the moon. Also, things under the soil are ours as well (looking at you, Australia).

PointSpecial
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:58 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby PointSpecial » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:05 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
Klear wrote:
SuperSteve wrote:This raises a bizarre point. To conserve electricity, the U.S. government has prohibited incandescent lighting over a certain wattage.

Does throwing tungsten into the sun, causing to it to glow with a wattage in excess of the legal limit, violate this law?


Since when is Sun american soil? Since when is it soil, even?


Since it floats over American soil. Same reason you can't fly planes over American soil without a license. Same reason we own the moon. Also, things under the soil are ours as well (looking at you, Australia).



Hmmm... what part of the US do you live in? The Atlantic Ocean part?!

So now all water that touches American soil is American too? What about soil that touches water that touches soil?

User avatar
Whizbang
The Best Reporter
Posts: 2238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby Whizbang » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:14 pm UTC

All your base are belong to us.

richman1c
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:37 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby richman1c » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:36 pm UTC

What you say!!

Wait, too soon.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26727
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:12 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:
Prosthetic_Lips wrote:My favorite "a ha" moment here was the "thousands of kilometers" note/citation. I think we need to start using SI prefixes for our larger numbers.

How far is it from the earth to the sun? Wiki says 1.496 x 108. Instead, it should be 149.6 megameters, or 0.1496 gigameters.

How far from the sun to the galactic core? Wiki says 2.7 x 1017. That's hard to say; how about 270 petameters? A quarter of an exameter?
It's around 93 million miles from earth to the sun IIRC so something's up here. I believe that's 1.496 x 108 km which would be 149.6 Gm or 0.1496 Tm. A quick google gives 1au as 149 597 870 700 metres, which confirms this.
Yeah, that's the problem when you remember a number of km but are used to working with meters. I've definitely done orbital calculations that ended up off by a factor of 1000 because I used the number I remembered for 1AU, "about 150 million", with the unit I'm more used to using in scientific contexts. And then there's the fact that the standard gravitational parameter is also usually quoted in terms of kilometers. Cubed, no less.

(I don't have trouble with the speed of light, because I remember all the digits of it, and I know all of them are to the left of the decimal point when working in meters.)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 5379
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:17 pm UTC

january1may wrote:10^4 is myriad

FTFY.

I always liked the idea of an order-of-magnitute-prefix system continuing the pattern of {ten, hundred, myriad, ...}. Yes I intentionally skipped thousand.

Ten is its own thing.
Ten tens is a hundred.
Ten hundred is its own thing.
A hundred hundred is a myriad.
Ten myriad is its own thing.
Likewise a hundred myriad.
And ten hundred myriad.
But a myriad myriad is a... byriad, let's say.
Then you've got ten byriad.
A hundred byriad.
Ten hundred byriad.
A myriad byriad.
Ten myriad byriad.
A hundred myriad byriad.
Ten hundred myriad byriad.
And a byriad byriad is a... tyriad.

And so on, you've got unique systematic terms for every order of magnitude from a tyriad up until you hit a tyriad tyriad, which could be a quadyriad. And a quadyriad quadyriad is a quintyriad. And so forth.

By the time you get to, say, a nonyriad, we're talking numbers much larger than a nonillion. A nonillion is 10^((3*9)+3). A nonyriad is a (9+1)-high stack of squares of squares of ... of ten, so 10^2^2^2^2^2^2^2^2^2^2. (I think there's a notation for writing stacks like that succinctly but I forget what it is and probably can't reproduce it in plain text here).
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:03 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
Whizbang
The Best Reporter
Posts: 2238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby Whizbang » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:19 pm UTC

Did anyone notice the javascript alt-text was added in?

PointSpecial
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:58 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby PointSpecial » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:24 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Did anyone notice the javascript alt-text was added in?


It was there later on Tuesday

PointSpecial
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:58 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby PointSpecial » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:30 pm UTC

PointSpecial wrote:
sotanaht wrote:So what IS with the Tungsten Countertop itself? I'm guessing the person saw/heard of a countertop with a tungsten color finish and thought the countertop was made of tungsten.


I'm wondering if "countertop" isn't a kitchen installation... but rather some apparatus which is akin to a top (the spinny kids toy, like a dreidel, but fewer Jewish), but not-a-top. An anti-top. A counter-top.

Thoughts?


This got buried b/c it had to be approved (first post, yada yada)...


Could it be that we're mis-reading "countertop?"

User avatar
Whizbang
The Best Reporter
Posts: 2238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby Whizbang » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:31 pm UTC

PointSpecial wrote:Could it be that we're mis-reading "countertop?"


No.

What-If 0089: 'Tungsten Countertop' wrote:This brings us around to a key question:

Who the hell has tungsten countertops?

Sure, it has good heat tolerance. But I'd be nervous about using tungsten as a food-preparation surface.


Hmmm... Unless you mean Randall misread "countertop" and the questioner meant something else?

User avatar
Klear
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:43 am UTC
Location: Prague

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby Klear » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:57 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Ten tens is a hundred.
Ten hundred is its own thing.
A hundred hundred is a myriad.
Ten myriad is its own thing.
Likewise a hundred myriad.
And ten hundred myriad.
But a myriad myriad is a... byriad, let's say.
Then you've got ten byriad.
A hundred byriad.
Ten hundred byriad.
A myriad byriad.
Ten myriad byriad.
A hundred myriad byriad.
Ten hundred myriad byriad.
And a byriad byriad is a... tyriad.


I was kinda disappointed when I realized this part wasn't poetry...

Edit:

It's 5 am (actually 4 hours to go until I got to sleep in my 28 h schedule, but still) and I have definitely better things to do than to write poetry, but what the hell:

Ten tens is a hundred
Ten hundred is its own thing
A hundred hundred is a myriad
Ten myriad... what do you think?

Likewise a hundred myriad
And ten hundred myriad
But a myriad myriad is a... byriad, let's say
Then you've got ten byriad to play with, OK?

A hundred byriad follows
Ten hundred byriad then
A myriad byriad, if dear audience allows
Ten myriad byriad - give me a new pen!

A hundred myriad byriad - we're almost done
Ten hundred myriad byriad - isn't counting fun?
And a byriad byriad is a... tyriad, period.

User avatar
Zassounotsukushi
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:38 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby Zassounotsukushi » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:44 pm UTC

forward4 wrote:
Whizbang wrote:
Djehutynakht wrote:
jgh wrote:
Who the hell uses GRANITE for counter tops? Do you know how heavy granite is? Do you know what the cupboard carcases that will be attempting to stop that worktop plummeting through the kitchen floor and into the ground are made of? Chipboard. That's sawdust held together with glue. Where the hell has this obsession for using masonry for work surfaces come from?



Granite is actually very common for countertops.

In all honesty, it can be pretty awesome. Durable. Heat resistant (for hot pans)... yeah. Granite countertops are pretty great.


Like slate roofing, I hear.


But it is also porous. This can lead to bacteria growing in the countertop, despite regular cleaning. Granite must be treated/sealed every six months or so. I prefer solid surface material for this reason. Not quite as heavy, not quite as expensive, seamless, and cracks and scratches can be repaired much easier than granite.


The only real reason granite is a popular countertop is it looks pretty. Most people don't know/care about the health and weight disadvantages, all they know is its pretty and makes you look rich. Which, if you have real granite countertops, you probably are as it's terribly expensive.


I have heard of the environmental problems with granite countertops. Because of those issues, I'm actually rather surprised that it was mentioned in what-if in such a way. One TED or TEDx speaker ranted on this subject, although I can't find the link now. Basically, it's an industry that could only exist with our globalized supply chains because these huge sheets have to be cut out directly from the rock as-is, which comes from some insanely huge open surface mine in Southeast Asia, and generates an insane amount of waste because the slabs need to be perfect in order to go to market.

While some people make usability arguments in favor of them, they're not very strong. They're mostly justified on the basis that 1) they're pretty, and 2) other people consider them pretty, so that increases the resale value of the home. Otherwise, simple plastic materials are probably more sanitary, although the difference is entirely negligible. Myself, I would be more concerned about just cracking it.

User avatar
eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong
Posts: 1840
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:36 pm UTC
Location: in your ceiling, judging you

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby eran_rathan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:47 pm UTC

Zassounotsukushi wrote:
forward4 wrote:The only real reason granite is a popular countertop is it looks pretty. Most people don't know/care about the health and weight disadvantages, all they know is its pretty and makes you look rich. Which, if you have real granite countertops, you probably are as it's terribly expensive.


I have heard of the environmental problems with granite countertops. Because of those issues, I'm actually rather surprised that it was mentioned in what-if in such a way. One TED or TEDx speaker ranted on this subject, although I can't find the link now. Basically, it's an industry that could only exist with our globalized supply chains because these huge sheets have to be cut out directly from the rock as-is, which comes from some insanely huge open surface mine in Southeast Asia, and generates an insane amount of waste because the slabs need to be perfect in order to go to market.

While some people make usability arguments in favor of them, they're not very strong. They're mostly justified on the basis that 1) they're pretty, and 2) other people consider them pretty, so that increases the resale value of the home. Otherwise, simple plastic materials are probably more sanitary, although the difference is entirely negligible. Myself, I would be more concerned about just cracking it.


1. Eh, I suppose it depends where you are, but here in New England, they aren't that much more than other types of similar durability.

2. Again, it depends where you are, but in a lot of New England at any rate, there are local quarries and stonecutters who make granite countertops. If you are willing to pay for it, of course.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Stardust0
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:32 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby Stardust0 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:05 pm UTC

thecarp wrote:
Stardust0 wrote:Drinking wine from rifle barrels is actually some kind of cultural practice among stupid hunters in france. I know it because I live in france and I heard a few stories of (more or less violent) accidents that occurred because of this.
Don't know if there has been other cases of tungsten intoxication though.


I did some quick searching. There is an article (Which if I link, I can't post as this message gets flagged as spam) called "Toxicity of tungsten" doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(05)62194-0 Specific points if its TLDR:

1. There are no animal or human toxicological data to support the hypothesis of a nephrotoxic activity of tungsten. No ill-effects were observed in patients given 25—80 g powdered tungsten metal by mouth as a substitute for barium in radiological examinations
2. Moreover, the fact that the patient rapidly recovered both from seizures and renal failure whilst high levels of tungsten persisted for several weeks in the patient's serum and urine suggests that there was no causal relation between tungsten and toxicity.
3. the patient's symptoms are suggestive of poisoning by 1,3,5-trinitro-1,3,5-triazine (also known as hexogen, cyclonite, or RDX), an explosive compound frequently used for military purposes.

Sounds like a tungstun countertop may be ok....if an odd choice of material.


the accidents I mentioned had more to do with the firearm than with the effects on tungstun. Some bad things happened when some of these dumb guys forgot to remove the shells before doing this.

User avatar
PM 2Ring
Posts: 3701
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:19 pm UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby PM 2Ring » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:59 am UTC

Whizbang wrote:
Djehutynakht wrote:
jgh wrote:
Who the hell uses GRANITE for counter tops? Do you know how heavy granite is? Do you know what the cupboard carcases that will be attempting to stop that worktop plummeting through the kitchen floor and into the ground are made of? Chipboard. That's sawdust held together with glue. Where the hell has this obsession for using masonry for work surfaces come from?



Granite is actually very common for countertops.

In all honesty, it can be pretty awesome. Durable. Heat resistant (for hot pans)... yeah. Granite countertops are pretty great.


Like slate roofing, I hear.


But it is also porous. This can lead to bacteria growing in the countertop, despite regular cleaning. Granite must be treated/sealed every six months or so. I prefer solid surface material for this reason. Not quite as heavy, not quite as expensive, seamless, and cracks and scratches can be repaired much easier than granite.


And it's radioactive. Like bananas.

User avatar
Zassounotsukushi
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:38 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby Zassounotsukushi » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:18 pm UTC

Radon is a serious issue in many homes. Saying that it's radioactive do it justice. It leaks radioactive gas into the air which can decay in your lungs. That's heavy charged particle radiation within sensitive tissue. Also, there's no safe dose (if you're using the same standards as the nuclear industry).

That said, there doesn't seem to be any reason to think that a granite countertop will swamp your home with Radon. There are other sources of Radon as well, and the total amount is what matters. That's a function of your foundation and air circulation patterns... which probably matter a great deal more than your counter selection.

Then again, if the primary reason for it is pure vanity, and if there really is no safe dose, then that's hard to justify in a purely qualitative sense. Acceptable risks and acceptable levels of radiation are based on the idea of some valid need to begin with. To the extent that there is no justifiable need, it's a tenuous proposition.

jpvlsmv
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:43 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby jpvlsmv » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:15 pm UTC

Zassounotsukushi wrote:den again, if de primary reason for it be pure vanity

Nah, the granite-surface vanity is in the bathroom, not the kitchen.

CharonPDX
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:55 am UTC

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby CharonPDX » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:11 am UTC

1. April Fools Day sucks.
2. If I type my post in whatever faux-language this is supposed to be, would it "correct" it back to normal English?

Okay, on to my regular comment...

This What-If had me looking up Solar Probe Plus.

Holy crap, we're building a freaking Dalek...
Image

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26727
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:16 pm UTC

Don't blame your inability to read proper English on April Fool's Day. This is when that ends, not begins.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
mathmannix
Posts: 1445
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:12 pm UTC
Location: Washington, DC

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby mathmannix » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:05 pm UTC

'Twas brilling, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe. All mimsy were the borogoves, and the mome raths outgrabe. Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the jubjub bird, and shun the frumious bandersnatch!

(Pretty much as readable as ever!)
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Vir4030
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:56 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby Vir4030 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:22 am UTC

logo <<<<<<< HEAD

Since today's xkcd April 1st project falls on a Tuesday, What If will be delayed until Thursday.
=======

<<<<<<< HEAD

Since today's April 1st xkcd project falls on a Tuesday, What If will be on Wednesday instead.
>>>>>>> 5d25335d613e0e61f01670e441d881a7fe1c5c78 =======

Since today's xkcd April 1st project falls on a Tuesday, What If will be on Wednesday instead.
>>>>>>> e20c124004a642bf30140af38bf0dfaeff2e1449


Nice merge conflict there.

User avatar
boobl
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:40 pm UTC
Location: Moscow Region

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby boobl » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:07 pm UTC

I have a physics question.
In the article it says
From the countertop's point of view, particles from the Sun's atmosphere would be slamming into it at 600 km/s. These particles would pack quite a punch.[3] When the countertop got within about a few thousand kilometers[4] of the Sun's surface, these collisions would start delivering more energy to the countertop than the sunlight.

Isn't "energy delivered to the countertop by sunlight" the same thing as "energy delivered to the countertop by collision of particles from the Sun's atmosphere"?

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26727
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:17 pm UTC

Photons are not particles from the Sun's atmosphere.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
boobl
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:40 pm UTC
Location: Moscow Region

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby boobl » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:17 pm UTC

Got it. Thanks.

OP Tipping
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:23 am UTC

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby OP Tipping » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:03 am UTC

I've often thought that burnished tungsten carbide would make a great tabletop surface. It is more chemically stable than tungsten, and would be pretty hard to do harm to.

There's nothing worse than visiting someone with like a mahogany table so you have to use coasters and placemats to protect the table. What's the point in having a table that you have to protect from hot and moist cups and plates? Might as well make it out of sodium. The table should serve my needs.

So from now on it is nothing but burnished WC for me.
a) Please explain the specific MEDICAL reason for ordering this MEDICATION !
b) Please state the nature of your ailment or injury.
c) One a scale of one to ten, how would you rate your pain?
d) Please state the nature of the medical emergency.

Kaiman
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:08 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby Kaiman » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:34 pm UTC

The sun is one of the meltiest things around, huh? That should be a word. Meltiness should be too - could even be a physics quantity / characteristic.

Also, how would one pronounce megameters? MEH-guh-mee-ters? Or Meh-GAM-uh-ters?

Mikeski
Posts: 1094
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:24 am UTC
Location: Minnesota, USA

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby Mikeski » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:09 am UTC

Kaiman wrote:Also, how would one pronounce megameters? MEH-guh-mee-ters? Or Meh-GAM-uh-ters?

Yes.

Meh-guh-mee-ters are units of distance. Meh-gam-uh-ters are devices to find your longitude based on the positions of stars.

The only distance name that doesn't follow that pronunciation is kilometers. ("micrometer" pronounced the odd way is also the name of a measurement device, not a distance. Though we use "micron" to describe that distance most places, just like we usually use "metric ton" or "tonne" to describe a megagram.)

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26727
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:03 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote:The only distance name that doesn't follow that pronunciation is kilometers.
And even then I've heard first-syllable stress not infrequently.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
PM 2Ring
Posts: 3701
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:19 pm UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby PM 2Ring » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:53 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Mikeski wrote:The only distance name that doesn't follow that pronunciation is kilometers.
And even then I've heard first-syllable stress not infrequently.


The first-syllable stress form is supposed to be the official pronunciation here, although the other form is fairly common, and IIRC, it was the usual pronunciation before we adopted the metric system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilometre#Pronunciation
There are two common pronunciations for the word:

/ˈkɪlɵmiːtər/ KIL-o-mee-tər and
/kɨˈlɒmɨtər/ ki-LOM-i-tər

The former pronunciation follows the general pattern in English whereby metric units are pronounced with the stress on the first syllable, and the pronunciation of the actual base unit does not change irrespective of the prefix. It is generally preferred by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) and the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC).

Many scientists and other users, particularly in countries where the metric system is not widely used, use the pronunciation with stress on the second syllable.[5][6] The latter pronunciation follows the stress pattern used for the names of measuring instruments (such as micrometer, barometer, thermometer, tachometer and speedometer). The problem with this reasoning, however,[citation needed] is that the word meter in those usages refers to a measuring device, not a unit of length. The contrast is even more obvious in countries using the English rather than American spelling of the word metre.

When Australia introduced the metric system in 1975, the first pronunciation was declared official by the government's Metric Conversion Board. However, the Australian Prime Minister at the time, Gough Whitlam, insisted that the second pronunciation was the correct one because of the Greek origins of the two parts of the word.[7]

User avatar
mathmannix
Posts: 1445
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:12 pm UTC
Location: Washington, DC

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby mathmannix » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:59 pm UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:[snip]micrometer, barometer, thermometer, tachometer and speedometer[/snip]


Speedo-meters. What do they measure? Let us all think on this.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Mikeski
Posts: 1094
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:24 am UTC
Location: Minnesota, USA

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby Mikeski » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:38 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:
PM 2Ring wrote:[snip]micrometer, barometer, thermometer, tachometer and speedometer[/snip]

Speedo-meters. What do they measure? Let us all think on this.

Fashion sense in males. The meter looks like this:

none _\ _________________ still none

Thorbard9
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:42 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby Thorbard9 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:09 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
SuperSteve wrote:Before it melts, vaporizes, etc., it will glow. We know this is what it does when it gets hot, because it has been used for filaments in incandescent light bulbs.

This raises a bizarre point. To conserve electricity, the U.S. government has prohibited incandescent lighting over a certain wattage.

Does throwing tungsten into the sun, causing to it to glow with a wattage in excess of the legal limit, violate this law?
Pretty sure the law doesn't say "you shall not by any means whatsoever allow more than this wattage to go through tungsten in any form", so you're probably safe.


A law as you describe would prohibit tungsten welding electrodes as well, which would be an obvious problem for manufacturing industries.

Tyndmyr
Posts: 11443
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0089: "Tungsten Countertop"

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:46 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
Klear wrote:
SuperSteve wrote:This raises a bizarre point. To conserve electricity, the U.S. government has prohibited incandescent lighting over a certain wattage.

Does throwing tungsten into the sun, causing to it to glow with a wattage in excess of the legal limit, violate this law?


Since when is Sun american soil? Since when is it soil, even?


Since it floats over American soil. Same reason you can't fly planes over American soil without a license. Same reason we own the moon. Also, things under the soil are ours as well (looking at you, Australia).


I see someone has read "The Man Who Sold the Moon", =)


Return to “What If?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests