What-If 0120: "Alternate Universe What Ifs"

What if there was a forum for discussing these?

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

teelo

Re: What-If 0120: "Alternate Universe What Ifs"

Postby teelo » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:40 am UTC

And then hes going to say "ah screw it, i got my book, im getting my royalties, so fuck it, what if is cancelled".

And then he deregisters this domain completely.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:17 pm UTC

slinches wrote:If we could produce a fluid identical to blood from cell cultures in volumes large enough to fill seas, whether we call it human blood, artificial blood simulating fluid X or Soylent Red wouldn't matter in the slightest. We'd be able to treat everyone on the planet who needs a transfusion without ever having to worry about blood bank shortages again.
You have the right attitude, let's go optimistic with all of these.
what if wrote:The global average rate is probably closer to 1 spider per second
End of hunger.
average death rate of 1.2 players per game....
Teams are huge. In this universe, when people say "Florida is playing Georgia" , they don't mean small groups from each state are playing each other, they mean Florida is playing against Georgia.
... the concept of a "population bottleneck" is in the news a lot lately.
Birth control. People aren't dying, they're choosing not to even conceive children of their own volition. Environmental impact of human activities plummets as does the cost of natural resources and real estate.
the top ten leading causes of injury in the workplace are as follows:
Lightning strikes at the same rate as in our universe, but happens to be the leading cause of working injury there, because workplaces are so much safer otherwise.
which makes it clear why this [shielding oneself from moonlight with a mirror] is such a bad
...way to pick up women.
Tower of London is intact, surrounded by a series of concentric rings presumably made from the remains of ...
The British royal family are now superheros, with heat related powers. The concentric rings are made from the destroyed Dalek invasion force.
although most remaining "cows" are actually closer to oblate spheroids ...
Modelling cows as spheres is more accurate. Beef farming has decreases due to engineering the steakfruit.
Last edited by Quizatzhaderac on Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:45 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:20 pm UTC

teelo wrote:And then hes going to say "ah screw it, i got my book, im getting my royalties, so fuck it, what if is cancelled".

And then he deregisters this domain completely.
xkcd.com or what-if? what-if is just a subdomain.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:24 pm UTC

Alcatraz II wrote:
What If will return next week. Happy Thanksgiving!

Lies all lies!

It doesn't say that any more :?
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:25 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:
Alcatraz II wrote:

Lies all lies!

Lies less lies!
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

keithl

Postby keithl » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:59 pm UTC

Moose Anus wrote:
Eutychus wrote:
Alcatraz II wrote:
Lies all lies!
Lies less lies!
Perhaps the alternate universe Randall writes about is real - and he is writing his most recent what-ifs there, to save lives. Or sell merch; harvester-resistant tee shirts?

NealCruco

Postby NealCruco » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:40 pm UTC

I'm thinking that Randall is losing interest in what-if, especially since publishing his book. Last year each installment appeared as promptly as each new comic, every Tuesday morning. Some months ago, the "every Tuesday" tagline was removed. Now new entries have slid from Tuesday to Wednesday, Thursday, and even Friday. It's no longer something that I look forward to- I enjoy each article when they come out, but I have no confidence that there will be another.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:47 pm UTC

We really need to be able to metadiscuss this and the comics within the forums (not general). But I continue in here.

I agree with you, newbie. It might be becoming a chore. He has nerd sniped himself.

I was thinking he could do just two comics, Monday and Friday, and one what-if always on Wednesday, that would work for everyone.

NealCruco

Postby NealCruco » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:38 pm UTC

I'm no newbie, even if I did do nothing but lurk for a year. :) And anyway, I've been following xkcd since late September 2012.

It would be nice if Randall went to two comics a week and slipped what-if into the empty space, but I'd be surprised if it actually happened. I get the feeling that what-if is just a side project for him, and he'll cut it if it becomes too hard to keep up with. I'm naturally optimistic, but not naive, so there's always the possibility that what-if will just continue fading away. :(

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:06 am UTC

I see you registered a year ago, too. But since I registered 3 years before that, you can consider it a compliment. ;) Pseudo-welcome!

I think the middle spot would be neat for alternating what-if and complex comics, like the infograms.

darsox64

Postby darsox64 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:02 am UTC

Regarding the last panel, only the reckless rely on heteroskedastic standard errors.

Hafting

Postby Hafting » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:54 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:Need human blood have come from a human?

Yes, or it won't be human blood. Industrial blood may do the job, but it is not human blood and cannot be legally labelled as such. Turning the seas to blood by an act of god, only makes it created blood. Still not human. (Similiar to how you only may call it "homemade cookies" if they are made in somebody's home - or if someone actually lives in the factory.)

So I wonder about this world where they need to adjust scuba weights for the density of human blood. They could drain the blood from a few billion (all at once, or smaller amounts regularly). Either way, they will only be able to keep a very small lake of blood to dive in. Unlike sea water, blood does not last. It doesn't take long for bacteria to turn your blood lake into a septic tank. Scuba diving in that, correct weights will be the least of your problems.

So I wonder why all equipment needs to fit human blood. What is on the bottom of this blood pond that makes it so important to dive just there? So important that anyone with diving equipment will be expected to take their turn? If there is something incredibly important, just pump that blood elsewhere. It is not going to be too much for a decent pump anyway.

Well, perhaps the little blood lake is the only place left to dive. A depressing universe indeed.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:24 pm UTC

Maybe a good number of humans have shrunk, Honey-I-Shrunk-the-Kids style, or else at least a few humans have grown to gigantic proportions, and scuba diving is now a fun way to treat (or possibly introduce) diseases?
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Andries

Postby Andries » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:48 pm UTC

Jonathan589 wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:But then we're back to the problem of how someone could have run for 27 seconds but only survived for 24 seconds, which one of the data points on the plot says, and which we were trying to make sense of in this thread.

Can Harvesters anticipate and start heading in the right direction before the people start running? Or perhaps they can teleport a bit just to be amusing.

Exactly. This may be an alternate universe where time travel is common.

SuperSteve

Postby SuperSteve » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:05 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
Copper Bezel wrote:Yeah, but while we could assume some uniformity in the speed of the harvesters, it's very unlikely that humans' running speeds would be so uniform. Unless the harvester is just intentionally tracking at twice (whatever speed the runner tops out at,) I don't think you'd get such a consistent trend. And the fact that the margin between head start time and survival time tends to be slightly greater when both are larger tracks with the idea that, you know, human ran for 25 seconds, was noticed, was harvested five seconds later, because the harvester had to cross that distance....

But then we're back to the problem of how someone could have run for 27 seconds but only survived for 24 seconds, which one of the data points on the plot says, and which we were trying to make sense of in this thread.

Enough.

Einstein's theory of special relativity.

The head start time and the survival time are measured in different frames of reference.

Think of the twin paradox. Time goes faster in one frame of reference than another.

Problem solved.

Return to “What If?”