What-if: chat thread

What if there was a forum for discussing these?

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

cellocgw

What-if: chat thread

Postby cellocgw » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:07 pm UTC

What if the mods dumped all non-what-if-specific chatter to a single thread?

Normally, I wouldn't allow this, as created threads should only be about new What If? articles, as per dem rules, but as a small but dedicated What-If community has arisen within the confines of this subfora, keep all your chat in here, will ye's all?

I've taken the liberty to smoosh every chit-chat thread into one already.

So just because GLR is on break doesn't mean we can't chat a bit.

What if everyone posted the most absurd What-If question they could think of to this thread?
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

january1may

Re: What-If # 0076.5 Merry Xmas

Postby january1may » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:46 pm UTC

Not my most absurd probably, but one I wanted to post for a long time - and just couldn't bring myself to send because it's just too absurd :D

"In Hertford, Hereford and Hampshire, hurricanes hardly ever happen", claimed a song in the musical My Fair Lady.
So how often do hurricanes happen in Hertford, Hereford and Hampshire, and what would've happened if there was a hurricane in one of these three British places?
There are two films that I particularly like.
One of them is a science-fiction dramatic comedy involving a boy who accidentally travelled in time. Extremely popular when it originally came out in 1985, it retains a major cult following to this day.
The other one, of course, is Back to the Future.

davidstarlingm

Postby davidstarlingm » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:49 pm UTC

If a humanzee was created, what rights would it/he/she deserve?

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

The right to be loosed from the mad scientists lab, accompanied by the sound of cackling in glee, wielding laser guns.

Flumble
Yes Man

Re: What-If 007⁶: "Merry Xmas"

Postby Flumble » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:51 pm UTC

I can't stand this any longer :shock:
Felstaff wrote:RULES FOR POSTING A NEW "WHAT-IF" THREAD

[list=I][*]Title subject should always be: What-If ####: "Title"

[WHAT-IF][SPACE][DIGIT][DIGIT][DIGIT][DIGIT][COLON][SPACE][QUOTATION MARKS][TITLE][QUOTATION MARKS]

[*]See the title of every other thread for clues. Note capitalisation, correct spelling, etc. and include quotation marks! This is purely for aesthetic reasons. I am an aesthetic paerson.

Call it 'What-If 007⁶: "Merry Xmas"' or whatever, just make sure the number sign is gone and the colon is included and the title is inside double quotes and the spacing is correct. Think of the children!

What if unicode had a set of combining superscript and subscript digits?

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:18 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:I can't stand this any longer :shock:

[WHAT-IF][SPACE][DIGIT][DIGIT][DIGIT][DIGIT][COLON][SPACE][QUOTATION MARKS][TITLE][QUOTATION MARKS]

[*]See the title of every other thread for clues. Note capitalisation, correct spelling, etc. and include quotation marks! This is purely for aesthetic reasons. I am an aesthetic paerson.

Call it 'What-If 007⁶: "Merry Xmas"' or whatever, just make sure the number sign is gone and the colon is included and the title is inside double quotes and the spacing is correct. Think of the children!

I guess what you're actually asking is "What if 'What-If' was as likely to have a hyphen as 'anal-compulsive'?" :mrgreen:
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com

Zowayix

Postby Zowayix » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:26 pm UTC

I've always wondered what a insanely extended Mercator projection would look like. The North Pole would probably be pretty boring (IIRC there's no physically visible landmark there) but at the South Pole, how far down would you have to go to see things like visible buildings, people, dust particles, atoms, Planck lengths, etc.?

If the area around the South Pole is too boring when zoomed in, you could always reorient the map so that one pole is at some landmark location or something.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:57 am UTC

What if every keyboard became a leopard?
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:26 pm UTC

What if What If wasn't on holiday this week?
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:42 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:

I guess what you're actually asking is "What if 'What-If' was as likely to have a hyphen as 'anal-compulsive'?" :mrgreen:

It's the odd thread out. The entire page follows proper format, save this thread. = P It's not OCD to ask you to keep tidy....

Edit: What's the total carbon footprint of one standard Star Destroyer?
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:11 pm UTC

If every "#1 Movie In America" this year was actually a documentary instead of a work of fiction, what state would the world / universe be in right now?

Take into consideration that films set in the future would still happen, but not yet. Movies set in the past would have impacted our world at the time they were set. Films set in alternate realities would affect those realms, unless those realms intersected with our reality in the film.

For a start: parts of London would be in a bit of a mess right now (Thor: The Dark World).

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:17 pm UTC

What-If # 0076½: "Merry Xmas" ...?

Klear

Postby Klear » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

Jackpot777 wrote:If every "#1 Movie In America" this year was actually a documentary instead of a work of fiction, what state would the world / universe be in right now?

Take into consideration that films set in the future would still happen, but not yet. Movies set in the past would have impacted our world at the time they were set. Films set in alternate realities would affect those realms, unless those realms intersected with our reality in the film.

For a start: parts of London would be in a bit of a mess right now (Thor: The Dark World).

Hmm... by 2077, Earth is pretty much done for (Oblivion), but by 2086 it's fine (Ender's Game) and mankind eventually survives to found the Federation of Planets more than hundred years in the future... (Star Trek).

Now that I think of it, if Star Trek: Into Darkness is true, that means the previous Star Trek movie must also be true, since the continuity is an indelible part of the movie, and arguably all the Star Trek movies and series preceding the reboot as well, since it is a divergent timeline, but one which changed far into our future. The events of, say, The Voyage home, have happened as depicted.

Anyway, to answer your question, the state of the world? Beastie Boys never recorded "Intergalactic" and "Ch-Check It Out" and therefore I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

DiEvAl

Postby DiEvAl » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

bachaddict wrote:What if every leopard became a leopard?

Your post looks pretty funny with s/leopard/leopard/g browser extension ;-)

What-if there was no what-if today?

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:06 pm UTC

or today? (there isn't one yet...)
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:25 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:or today? (there isn't one yet...)

They generally post at noon on Tuesdays (GMT-5).
"Trying to build a proper foundation for knowledge is blippery."
"Squirrels are crazy enough to be test pilots."
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

deusrex

Postby deusrex » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:58 pm UTC

What if I'd invented a fing-longer?

The_Alchemist

Postby The_Alchemist » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:59 pm UTC

What's the total carbon footprint of one standard Star Destroyer?

I like this one. It rather immediately begs the question "what does a non-standard Star Destroyer look like?"

But I'd up this to:

"What is the carbon foot print of the completed Death Star?"

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:34 pm UTC

The_Alchemist wrote:
What's the total carbon footprint of one standard Star Destroyer?

I like this one. It rather immediately begs the question "what does a non-standard Star Destroyer look like?"

But I'd up this to:

Zero, and zero, as both star destroyers (standard and super) and death stars operate in deep space, which has no carbon ecology to leave a footprint in.

You could also argue "infinite" for a death star, q.v. Alderaan.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:15 pm UTC

Questions about the carbon footprint of things that operate in space are still sensible questions, even if they're not very relevant. The question is how much carbon do they release into a gaseous form that wasn't previously that way (minus any that they might absorb as well). That deep space doesn't much care how much carbon gasses you're spewing into it doesn't negate the question.

Also, if (as is likely) there are planet-based industrial processes that go into the construction of these ships (or their fuels, or whatever), then there is still a relevant question of their total carbon footprint on planets with a carbon ecology to care about.

Of course this is the same universe which has an entire planet covered with nothing but city and all the problems that entails conveniently swept under the rug, so...
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

mathmannix

Re: What-If 0076.5: "Merry Xmas"

Postby mathmannix » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:29 pm UTC

OK, so "carbon footprint" is defined as the amount of carbon dioxide that an object adds to the environment, right? From what I know about the Death Star, it had a rather small thermal exhaust port - the size of a womp rat, right? So... they must be pretty energy-efficient. Environmental-friendly.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

The_Alchemist

Postby The_Alchemist » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:41 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:OK, so "carbon footprint" is defined as the amount of carbon dioxide that an object adds to the environment, right? From what I know about the Death Star, it had a rather small thermal exhaust port - the size of a womp rat, right? So... they must be pretty energy-efficient. Environmental-friendly.

Rephrase:

'What is the energy requirements to build (optional - and operate) a Death Star"? More what I would like to know as I suspect that it uses fusion power and not fossil fuels. :)

car·bon foot·print
noun
noun: carbon footprint; plural noun: carbon footprints

the amount of carbon dioxide and other carbon compounds emitted due to the consumption of fossil fuels by a particular person, group, etc.

Although that in of itself is interesting I think to know what the 'equivalent carbon footprint would be.

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:09 am UTC

mathmannix wrote:OK, so "carbon footprint" is defined as the amount of carbon dioxide that an object adds to the environment, right?

I always get confused by that - is the carbon in "carbon footprint" sloppy shorthand for carbon dioxide, or specifically the number of moles of carbon atoms?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

EpicanicusStrikes
Random Boners = True Attraction

Postby EpicanicusStrikes » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:06 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:OK, so "carbon footprint" is defined as the amount of carbon dioxide that an object adds to the environment, right? From what I know about the Death Star, it had a rather small thermal exhaust port - the size of a womp rat, right? So... they must be pretty energy-efficient. Environmental-friendly.

To be fair, they never claimed that to be the only thermal exhaust port. Just a thermal exhaust port.

"The target area is only two meters wide. It's a small thermal exhaust port, right below the main port. The shaft leads directly to the reactor system."

And by the way. This was not a design flaw as Family Guy liked to harp upon. Without thermal exhaust, the reactor would overheat. They did have enough sense to ray-shield it and protect it with both defense towers and flights of Tie Fighters.

It took the greatest living Jedi in the universe to actually tag it with a torpedo, with the help of a lot of meat-shields. And Han Solo. You know a plan is solid if Solo has to help take it down.

cellocgw

What If: It were Weds && Snowing?

Postby cellocgw » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:22 pm UTC

Apparently we still have to wait.
Former OTTer

Eutychus

Re: What If: It were Weds && Snowing?

Postby Eutychus » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:25 pm UTC

...for it :D
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

ricketybridge

Postby ricketybridge » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:41 pm UTC

AGHGHGH!!! Randall, you liar!!

At least the comic was updated. >:C

Krealr

Postby Krealr » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:36 pm UTC

ricketybridge wrote:AGHGHGH!!! Randall, you liar!!

Wednesday isn't over yet. (For Randall at least) :P

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:29 pm UTC

I guess it is true that we do have a snow day here in MA. He could be stuck shoveling all day.

Maybe this is one hell of a What-If to the extent that it's been taking extra time to complete.

Or maybe he's just busy.

speising

Postby speising » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:20 pm UTC

or this is the End!

Prosthetic_Lips

Postby Prosthetic_Lips » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:08 pm UTC

:whistling: ... still waiting for it ...

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:49 pm UTC

Is this going to become a trend?

Not complaining, just curious.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:06 pm UTC

It's still hours from midnight at the east coast of the USA, so Randall has a whole evening left. (it's wednesday already for CET and beyond)

ricketybridge

Postby ricketybridge » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:20 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Is this going to become a trend?

Not complaining, just curious.

I'm complaining! (Because I love this blog, but still.)

Flumble wrote:It's still hours from midnight at the east coast of the USA, so Randall has a whole evening left. (it's wednesday already for CET and beyond)

Previously, Randall has tended to post these Tuesday at midnight (i.e. 16 hours and 20 minutes ago).

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:53 am UTC

Is GLR's clock a day slow?!
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

Evadman

Postby Evadman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:58 pm UTC

To be fair, it is Wednesday and Snowing again.

FUNCTION WillWhatIfBeLate() as Boolean
WillWhatIfBeLate = False 'Default
If DayofWeek(now) = 3 THEN
IF CheckUserWeather("GLR") = "Snowing" THEN
WillWhatIfBeLate = True
END IF
END IF

END FUNCTION

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:33 pm UTC

Randall's really been drifting west lately.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:21 pm UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:Randall's really been drifting west lately.

Must be more sand there (see 0084, just out)
Former OTTer

cellocgw

What-if the What-If Book is the End of Time^^^^ whatifs?

Postby cellocgw » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:41 am UTC

Used to be that Randall would post a note warning us there'd be a late (or no) new What-If , but nothing at all for a couple weeks now?

What, one appearance on Colbert and a few book-signing events and it's all over for the webcomic :( .

Well, then, here goes: What If... every NFL player who committed an assault or other crime were kicked out of the league?
Former OTTer

ramblinjd

Re: What-if the What-If Book is the End of Time^^^^ whatifs?

Postby ramblinjd » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:13 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Used to be that Randall would post a note warning us there'd be a late (or no) new What-If , but nothing at all for a couple weeks now?

I was wondering the same thing...

cellocgw wrote:What If... every NFL player who committed an assault or other crime were kicked out of the league?

I was actually wondering this too...

Return to “What If?”