What-If 0012: "Raindrop"

What if there was a forum for discussing these?

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

JJH

Re: What-if 0012: Raindrop

Postby JJH » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:38 am UTC

niky wrote:It's a very small singularity.

:?

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:04 pm UTC

Max™ wrote:
niky wrote:Which begs the question, if you pour water on a singularity, would the intense heat, pressure and radiation electrolyze the water and make the components catch fire?

If you are close enough to a singularity to consider pouring water on it directly and it doesn't have an event horizon, things have already gone terribly wrong, and a fire is the least of your worries.
Indeed, though it is theorised that 5-dimensional black strings are able to violate cosmic censorship1

Max™

Postby Max™ » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:23 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:
Max™ wrote:Question: "How many drops of water does it take to blow up the Earth?"

Spacebattles answer: "One, at sufficient velocity."
See my response to your almost identical post in the "everybody jump" thread for a debunking of that statement that is equally applicable to this instance.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Spacebattles

Nuke 'Em: One of Space Battle's catchphrases is the classic "Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure." Another is "One, at sufficient velocity," when asked 'how many of X does it take to beat Y?', referring to the tendency of anything to act like a nuke- or worse- if going sufficiently fast.

It's a joke, other examples include "how many ewoks to beat the death star? one, at sufficient velocity".
mu

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:00 pm UTC

Ah, so it isn't intended to be serious? In which case carry on (and on, and on ...)
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

niky

Postby niky » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:07 pm UTC

JJH wrote:

Are you suggesting there are big ones? :D

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:08 pm UTC

I mean, it is a *technically* true statement, it's just that "sufficient velocity" gets pretty damn ridiculous for small objects.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Max™

Postby Max™ » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:13 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:I mean, it is a *technically* true statement, it's just that "sufficient velocity" gets pretty damn ridiculous for small objects.

Yeah, for the most part it's an amusing reference that notes a more plausible way to blow up a superfortress deathstation with a single light fighter is to get it within spitting distance of c and watch the fireworks.
mu

JJH

Postby JJH » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:31 pm UTC

niky wrote:
JJH wrote:

Are you suggesting there are big ones? :D

I hope not, that would be wrong.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:37 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:I mean, it is a *technically* true statement, it's just that "sufficient velocity" gets pretty damn ridiculous for small objects.

How many photons does it take? Or neutrinos?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:59 pm UTC

Depends on how much energy each one has.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:19 pm UTC

Individual photons do have a maximum energy, don't they? As energy is proportional to frequency which is inversely proportional to wavelength which has a minimum (the Planck length). So there is a maximum damage that one photon, even moving at c (as always), can do.

I guess that doesn't apply to objects with rest mass though as you can always push them closer and closer to c and so give them more relativistic mass-energy.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:40 pm UTC

Yeah, but the answer to the question of how many photons it takes still therefore depends on how much energy each one has, whether or not that energy has a maximum.
---

(he/him/his)

Return to “What If?”