1913: "A �"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

TV4Fun

1913: "A �"

Postby TV4Fun » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:15 pm UTC

Title text: If you want in on the fun, map a key on your keyboard to the sequence U+0041 U+0020 U+FFFD (or U+0021 U+0020 U+FFFD for the exclamation point version), and then no update can never take this away from you.

Apple has patented the lower case letter i. This is just their way of discouraging people from using it.

(Speaking of autocorrect issues, when typing the last sentence, for some reason my Android phone autocorrected letter to letters.)
$_[0] wrote:rule 2:
Once a relationship ends, physical access to all relevant machinery is denied.

Ranbot

Re: 1913: "A �"

Postby Ranbot » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:37 pm UTC

kik! :lol:

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:19 pm UTC

Help, the title doesn't display properly for me.
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

Reka

Postby Reka » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:21 pm UTC

The title is supposed to have the question-mark-in-a-box "unknown" character in it. If that's what you're seeing, it's actually correct.

yakkoTDI

Postby yakkoTDI » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:31 pm UTC

Reka wrote:The title is supposed to have the question-mark-in-a-box "unknown" character in it. If that's what you're seeing, it's actually correct.

I think we can mark this down as a successful troll. :D

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:10 pm UTC

Probably why it took so long for somebody to start the thread.

Do we know if that counts as just one character, or two, or three, in the newly expanded #280 Twitter-verse?
A childhood spent walking while reading books has prepared me unexpectedly well for today's world.

Solra Bizna

Postby Solra Bizna » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:01 pm UTC

Keyman wrote:Do we know if that counts as just one character, or two, or three, in the newly expanded #280 Twitter-verse?

IIRC, Twitter counts either Unicode code points or UTF-16 code units. Either way, � is one "character".

gd1

Postby gd1 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:35 am UTC

Initially, I thought it was related to this one:
https://xkcd.com/1888/

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:16 am UTC

BHG could pull this off.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:40 am UTC

Solra Bizna wrote:
Keyman wrote:Do we know if that counts as just one character, or two, or three, in the newly expanded #280 Twitter-verse?

IIRC, Twitter counts either Unicode code points or UTF-16 code units. Either way, � is one "character".
Not anymore, since switching to 280 characters (yesterday, but a random subset of users had it a while before that). Everything up to U+1100 is one character, and almost everything else is two. (Or everything up to U+1100 counts as half a character, and almost everything else as one.) (It's not based on any encoding.)

U+FFFD counts as two characters.
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · they (for now, at least) · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...
flicky1991 wrote:In both cases the quote is "I'm being quoted too much!"

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:49 am UTC

Could someone please explain this to an Android user?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:37 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Could someone please explain this to an Android user?

Sure. "iPhone is fscked".

Anything else?

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:52 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:

Sure. "iPhone is fscked".

Anything else?

That's not very specific.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

herbstschweigen

Postby herbstschweigen » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:25 pm UTC

Thanks, I thought I was the only one. Explainxkcd is your friend, as always. http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/1913

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:41 pm UTC

A colored item? With a shadow? Is there a new Randall again?
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

petz

Postby petz » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:37 pm UTC

I just entered � into Google search and autocomplete suggested "thewheelsonthebus". WTF‽

google.jpg

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:40 pm UTC

petz wrote:I just entered � into Google search and autocomplete suggested "thewheelsonthebus". WTF‽
Same.
wheels.png
any pronouns
----
Discord for Forum Games posters
(Please let me know if the link doesn't work)

Rombobjörn

Postby Rombobjörn » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:48 pm UTC

The question mark seems to call for something to be inserted.

"A dishwasher took out the trash but the dishwasher still needs to be run."

"A velociraptor took out the trash ..."

"A questionable guy called Mark who lives in a box took out the trash ..."

"A sniper took out the trash ..."

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:05 pm UTC

yakkoTDI wrote:
Reka wrote:The title is supposed to have the question-mark-in-a-box "unknown" character in it. If that's what you're seeing, it's actually correct.

I think we can mark this down as a successful troll. :D

It was a joke indeed. :mrgreen:
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

speising

Postby speising » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:42 pm UTC

flicky1991 wrote:
petz wrote:I just entered � into Google search and autocomplete suggested "thewheelsonthebus". WTF‽
Same.
wheels.png

Clipboard01.jpg

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:54 pm UTC

One would be a fool to let a � get away without retrieving the coin or powerup from it first.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:57 pm UTC

Solra Bizna wrote:

It's two, as verified by checking Twitter just now.

(That new fucking circle bullshit goes away when you get to 20 or fewer characters remaining, when it goes back to just telling you how many you've got left.)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Solra Bizna

Postby Solra Bizna » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:13 pm UTC

chridd wrote:Everything up to U+1100 is one character, and almost everything else is two. (Or everything up to U+1100 counts as half a character, and almost everything else as one.) (It's not based on any encoding.)

U+FFFD counts as two characters.

Well, I learned something new today.

That just leaves one question in my mind. ...Why?!

Is it so that non-ideographic-script-users need no longer look over at ideographic-script-users with jealousy and rage? Because merely doubling the character count barely gets them up to the information density of a Japanese elementary schooler... tripling it would be required to approach that of a Chinese citizen. At least they also managed to include Arabic, Cyrillic, Devanagari, Greek and Hebrew* in the great doubling instead of being unintentionally Latin-centric...

Maybe this is one of those things I'm just too old to understand.

*These are just the likely victims I could remember off the top of my head; the set of widely-used scripts that are frequently screwed up by Western programmers is bigger than that.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:11 am UTC

google.jpg

There's been some Macdonalds billboard-posters featuring generic-looking Search Engine front page with a couple of letters filled in ("bi", in the first case) and a couple of autocomplete answers ("bigmac" and another word I forget). Seemed risque, to me, given the words that could have started "bi…" on an actual real Search Engine use.

(For the record, top answers for me are various phrases starting with "bike" or "bicycle".)

A second, different version of the McD's advert has been put up now (I think it's "mi(lkshake)" + "mi(something else)"?), and now expect a third incarnation to go up at some point, at least.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:43 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:There's been some Macdonalds billboard-posters featuring generic-looking Search Engine front page with a couple of letters filled in ("bi", in the first case) and a couple of autocomplete answers ("bigmac" and another word I forget). Seemed risque, to me, given the words that could have started "bi…" on an actual real Search Engine use.

(For the record, top answers for me are various phrases starting with "bike" or "bicycle".)

I get variations on "binsearch", "bitcoin" and "bing". Only one of those bears a relationship to something I've actually searched on.

qvxb

Postby qvxb » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:18 am UTC

I bet the SVR agent reading this thread has suffered terminal boredom.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:14 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:There's been some Macdonalds billboard-posters featuring generic-looking Search Engine front page with a couple of letters filled in ("bi", in the first case) and a couple of autocomplete answers ("bigmac" and another word I forget). Seemed risque, to me, given the words that could have started "bi…" on an actual real Search Engine use.

A second, different version of the McD's advert has been put up now (I think it's "mi(lkshake)" + "mi(something else)"?), and now expect a third incarnation to go up at some point, at least.

The Algorithm consistently finds fast food.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Yu_p

Postby Yu_p » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:19 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:

I get variations on "binsearch", "bitcoin" and "bing". Only one of those bears a relationship to something I've actually searched on.

I get (bi)tcoin and „(bi)gg boss vote“, which makes no sense, since I am from Austria, currently in Austria, never have been even close to India and Bigg Boss is an Indian show. The only other thing I get is „biblatex autocite“ as a search-history entry. And now after googling „Bigg Boss“ that is all I get, in various variations :(

Seems autocomplete isn‘t one of Google‘s most polished features.

On Bing I get „bild“ and „bild.de“ as the first suggestions which I honestly find kind of insulting.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:37 am UTC

Yu_p wrote:
da Doctah wrote:

I get (bi)tcoin and „(bi)gg boss vote“, which makes no sense, since I am from Austria, currently in Austria, never have been even close to India and Bigg Boss is an Indian show. The only other thing I get is „biblatex autocite“ as a search-history entry. And now after googling „Bigg Boss“ that is all I get, in various variations :(

Seems autocomplete isn‘t one of Google‘s most polished features.

On Bing I get „bild“ and „bild.de“ as the first suggestions which I honestly find kind of insulting.

Bitcoin, Bing, Bitcoin price, Bigg Boss 11, Birmingham mail, Big Shaq, Big Brother, and then Birmingham several times with another Bing in there.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:05 am UTC

Why do people Google "Bing"? Is this like people typing "google.com" into Google to get to Google?

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:49 am UTC

svenman

Postby svenman » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:24 am UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:Why do people Google "Bing"? Is this like people typing "google.com" into Google to get to Google?

There are computer courses where people get taught to type the address of any website they want to look up into Google and then click on the first search result that isn't an advertisement. I know, because my parents (who were in their sixties at the time) have been to one of those courses.

I can't even fault the method because at that level of computer/Internet proficiency, it is a pretty useful way to correct both for typing errors and for at least some misunderstandings where something that's not a URL is mistaken for a "website address". If people end up sometimes typing "google.com" into Google as a result, it may be an unnecessary step but it gets the job done in the end anyway.That's not a thing teachers worry about at the level where being able to use computers and the Internet at all is already an achievement for their students.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may help.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:09 am UTC

It's not about being unable to effectively find something, it's about being unable to realize that you're already there.

svenman

Postby svenman » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:00 am UTC

Sure, Googling Google is at a level of understanding what goes on in and behind the computer that is so shallow that it stops at the patterns of coloured lights that appear on the screen. There are people in the world who are like that and who are fine with being like that.

Googling Bing is not quite the same, that's like googling the URL of any other website that isn't Google. (I'm assuming here that anyone who goes to Bing wants to use Bing specifically and not any other search engine.)

So I type a URL directly into my browser's address bar (and I presume so do you), because I feel confident in my ability to not make typos and to recognize what is and isn't a URL and in my understanding of how URLs work. But a lot of people who do it differently do so because they have been taught a different method (or figured it out by themselves) and feel comfortable with it and I have no problem with that because it works.

I do get somewhat annoyed though when they panic at seeing me type a URL directly into the address bar because they worry something bad will happen and I am going to break the Internet or suchlike. No, I won't, Mom.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may help.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:05 pm UTC

Googling Bing isn't weird because that's a bad way to get to Bing, though. That is a perfectly reasonable way to get to Bing. It's just weird that you would first go to Google in order to get to Bing, instead of first going to Bing. Presumably, these are people who have Google as their homepage but who prefer the Bing search engine, in which case whoever helps them with their computer should really change the homepage. Also, if they know enough about search engines to choose one over the other, it's weird that they wouldn't just do it themselves.

(It's also weird that they would choose Bing.)

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:07 pm UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:(It's also weird that they would choose Bing.)
Is it though? Why haven't you chosen duckduckgo?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:53 pm UTC

svenman wrote:There are computer courses where people get taught to type the address of any website they want to look up into Google and then click on the first search result that isn't an advertisement. I know, because my parents (who were in their sixties at the time) have been to one of those courses.

As someone who regularly has to go through several iterations of "okay, did you type that into the URL field, or the search field?" on support calls I would like to fire these people into the Sun.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

svenman

Postby svenman » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:54 pm UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:Googling Bing isn't weird because that's a bad way to get to Bing, though. That is a perfectly reasonable way to get to Bing. It's just weird that you would first go to Google in order to get to Bing, instead of first going to Bing. Presumably, these are people who have Google as their homepage but who prefer the Bing search engine, in which case whoever helps them with their computer should really change the homepage. Also, if they know enough about search engines to choose one over the other, it's weird that they wouldn't just do it themselves.

Oh, I agree completely. But there are scenarios where people aren't free to change their home page or where it doesn't make sense: sharing a computer with other users, using someone else's or a public computer, some work situations.

commodorejohn wrote:As someone who regularly has to go through several iterations of "okay, did you type that into the URL field, or the search field?" on support calls I would like to fire these people into the Sun.

I understand where you're coming from and can totally sympathise.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:39 pm UTC

commodorejohn wrote:As someone who regularly has to go through several iterations of "okay, did you type that into the URL field, or the search field?" on support calls I would like to fire these people into the Sun.
Unfortunately, the URL field and the search field are trying to become the same thing these days.
For example the recent versions of firefox
it has an address bar and a search bar next to each other.

I type whatever I want into the search bar.
my favorite search engine will search for it.
nice.

I type an url into the address bar.
the browser goes to that address.
also nice.

But now I type something that is not an url into the address bar.
like some words or whatever.
and for some reason it does a search?
but
why?

it's an address bar. not a search bar.
the search bar is right next to it.
If I wanted to search for it I would have used the search bar. that's what it's for, after all.

Ok, i understand why some wolud prefer this kind of behavior.
why they would like to have one thing for everything.
i'm not such a one.
I won't want this.

It's nice to have such a possibility but even better if I turn it off.
but I can't.
there is no such option.

Ok, there is one in the about:config.
but to find the solution you have to search for it (!)

why are you ding this, firefox, why?
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:16 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:But now I type something that is not an url into the address bar.
like some words or whatever.
and for some reason it does a search?
but
why?

it's an address bar. not a search bar.
the search bar is right next to it.
If I wanted to search for it I would have used the search bar. that's what it's for, after all.

Ok, i understand why some wolud prefer this kind of behavior.
why they would like to have one thing for everything.
i'm not such a one.
I won't want this.

What's your desired behaviour in this situation?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”