1350: "Lorenz"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

edfel

Re: 1350: "Lorenz"

Postby edfel » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:45 am UTC

klausconsine wrote:anyone knows shat scripts/framework Randall used for the comic?

I guess finding the scripts is going to be hard ... the easiest option would probably be to ask directly to davean & chromakode. The server-side script is obviously not available online (not with my null hacker skills anyway), and the client-side script, Bernardo , seems to be mostly made up to retrieve the data from the server and make up the web page accordingly. Since it's minimized, I guess it would take more time to understand it and make it fit your purpose than just building a new one from scratch...

[edit]PS: Welcome:) And your project sounds cool (well, that's why we're here...) when you advance, don't forget to post a link here!
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:04 pm UTC

eidako wrote:
Someguy945 wrote:I feel that this comic has a lot of potential but the paths aren't growing.

Ditto this. It was a promising project, but the broken two-dialogue panels, permalinks ceasing to function (the "four level recursion" branch I linked now loads a blank page for me), abysmal submission-to-implementation ratio and other problems killed it. Now that it's been displaced by the regular comic, I doubt the bugs will be fixed.

You win some, you lose some. :|

Yeah so...this thing really looks dead. So much wasted potential...

jpers36

Postby jpers36 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:24 pm UTC

Strike that. 77 and a boomerang destroying a rocket: http://xkcd.com/1350/#p:ffa26ce0-bade-1 ... de80a03a29

Bloopy

Postby Bloopy » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:27 pm UTC

The comic is rather daunting at first view, but it's great for coming back to later and finding something funny you hadn't seen before. So I really hope the issues get fixed.

BiggerJ

Postby BiggerJ » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:25 am UTC

eidako wrote:
Someguy945 wrote:I feel that this comic has a lot of potential but the paths aren't growing.

Ditto this. It was a promising project, but the broken two-dialogue panels, permalinks ceasing to function (the "four level recursion" branch I linked now loads a blank page for me), abysmal submission-to-implementation ratio and other problems killed it. Now that it's been displaced by the regular comic, I doubt the bugs will be fixed.

You win some, you lose some. :|

As Earthling on Mars said, it's been fixed. I hope you and others read this and find out.

Soliloquy wrote:
tiorbinist wrote:
Second, if you choose the political option in frame 1 and continue (currently the only choice) in frame 2, frame 3 has four choices. One of them is "I agree with my opponent ALL ALL issues...".

Since this is (one hopes) a typo which will be fixed, this post will become obsolete when it has been fixed, and the moderators have every right to make it go away, without complaint from me.

Yeah, that one was my submission -- it was via mobile, so I screwed it up. I sent in one without a typo immediately afterwards, but for some reason Randall and/or the algorithm chose the first submission.

I would very much like my one permanent submission to XKCD to not have a typo in it :/.

Knowing Randall, if he ever acknowledges this he'll do a triple-digit Kickstarter and only fix the typo if it gets funded. It will be massively overfunded because he is Randall.

edfel

Postby edfel » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:22 pm UTC

Sooooo, after some time of thinking about it, I've made a greasemonkey script to explore stories more easily.

See: https://github.com/edfel/Lorenz

The idea is to have a single button to follow one random story, up to the point where only typing is possible. Then you can have an "auto-loop" to the next random story.
Screen.png
Screen.png (9.62 KiB) Viewed 7497 times

You can also export the paths you've visited, and look them up in a specific html page (with the permalinks, but not the images [yet])

Comments and suggestions are welcome! But as I'm not going to have that much time to improve it, then contributors are even more than welcome ;-)

[Edit, PS: Here is how the "compilation" table looks like after 50 runs or so]
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

dan_dassow

Postby dan_dassow » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:42 am UTC

This is a sequence I have not seen before: http://xkcd.com/1350/#p:75f180a0-baaf-11e3-801f-002590d77bdd

Klear

Postby Klear » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:44 am UTC

dan_dassow wrote:This is a sequence I have not seen before: http://xkcd.com/1350/#p:75f180a0-baaf-11e3-801f-002590d77bdd

It isn't witty or funny or surprising... why are you even posting that?

evac156

Postby evac156 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:41 pm UTC

I like the concept, but I'm disappointed at how quickly the story dead-ends in most cases. It seems that all paths lead to being in the water, and right about the point the characters find themselves in the water, usually with visitors, everything just becomes "suggest a line." Maybe it's still being developed, and not enough good lines have been suggested yet?

Hm. Okay -- the post immediately above this leads to a version of the strip with a rocket ship and a space flight. I'd never encountered that one.

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Thu May 01, 2014 11:50 pm UTC

Damn, I still can't see anything on this comic. Just a blank white space. Tried FF28 and IE8 but no joy. What am I missing here?

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Fri May 02, 2014 9:51 am UTC

Heimhenge wrote:Damn, I still can't see anything on this comic. Just a blank white space. Tried FF28 and IE8 but no joy. What am I missing here?

Have you tried the things suggested previously in the thread? Used the http instead of https site or disabled mixed content blocking and enabled javascript?

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Fri May 02, 2014 5:36 pm UTC

Yes I have, but no joy. Probably has something to do with the java being out of date on my W2K box, and the fact that I'm running the latest version I can on that old OS (where I have FF12 installed). My XP box is down at the moment, but when I get it up and running again I'll give that a try, thanks.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat May 03, 2014 4:24 am UTC

Oh no no no, Java is not Javascript. They're pretty much entirely unrelated.

In fact, unless you're already running something that you know explicitly requires Java, you shouldn't have Java installed at all, and certainly not an outdated version. You're probably taking enough chances as it is with Win2K.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Sat May 03, 2014 10:55 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Oh no no no, Java is not Javascript. They're pretty much entirely unrelated.

In fact, unless you're already running something that you know explicitly requires Java, you shouldn't have Java installed at all, and certainly not an outdated version. You're probably taking enough chances as it is with Win2K.

Wait, is a java interpreter without a browser plug-in enabled still problematic?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun May 04, 2014 5:21 am UTC

I guess not, but some of the older versions didn't make disabling the plug-in very easy; the "Enable java content in the browser" check-box is a relatively recent innovation. (Mind you, clearing that check-box managed to break my PDFill PDF Creator, which has nothing to do with browsers, so it may not be of much practical use.)

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:20 am UTC

Lorenz appears to be in #1112.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

SirAdrian

Postby SirAdrian » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:04 am UTC

Should I try to limit myself as to the number of suggestions I make?
(and if so, per day, per percentage, or per the manual?)

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:49 pm UTC

Considering it's been four years, I would doubt that new suggestions are being logged at all.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”