1174: "App"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Quicksilver

1174: "App"

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:06 am UTC

http://xkcd.com/1174/
Alt Text:"If I click 'no', I've probably given up on everything, so don't bother taking me to the page I was trying to go to. Just drop me on the homepage. Thanks."
I hate mobile versions of websites. Just give me the desktop version and let me determine how I want to handle text viewing.

rhomboidal

Re: 1174: "App"

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:07 am UTC

And I'll bet you still get that pop-up even when you use their app.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:14 am UTC

Finally, truth in advertising. Not sure if this is related but, I downloaded a version of Opera recently. Then I started getting a pop up asking me to install an updated version. Of course I said no. Then, one day, my hard drive got temperamental, so I did a restore but did not have Opera in the restore. I downloaded Opera thinking it was the newer version, but still get a message asking if I want to download a newer version.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

peshmg

Postby peshmg » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:26 am UTC

This happens to me every time I try to go to Google Plus from a mobile browser. I already have the app, but sometimes I prefer to use the browser (especially if I'm going from one of my other Google accounts).

It would be nice if the page would notice that you already have the app installed and assume that you didn't go to the webpage in the browser by mistake.

On the other hand, for some reason Android recently stopped opening address links in the Google Maps app and instead opens them in the browser. WTF??

dvandom

Postby dvandom » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:28 am UTC

Ironically, the only way I can get full functionality from XKCD's page on a mobile device is to use the app. Because hovertext and tablets/phones don't mix.

---Dave

mattfredfry

Postby mattfredfry » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:33 am UTC

This one remind me of that one from a while ago called "Server Attention Span". I'd post a link, but it keeps telling me my message was flagged as spam...

exoren22

Postby exoren22 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:49 am UTC

dvandom wrote:Ironically, the only way I can get full functionality from XKCD's page on a mobile device is to use the app. Because hovertext and tablets/phones don't mix.

---Dave

Try [url]m.xkcd.com[/url]

edit: linky

edit2: I used the URL button, what gives?

Arariel

Postby Arariel » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:51 am UTC

exoren22 wrote:
dvandom wrote:Ironically, the only way I can get full functionality from XKCD's page on a mobile device is to use the app. Because hovertext and tablets/phones don't mix.

---Dave

Try [url]m.xkcd.com[/url]

http://m.xkcd.com

TimXCampbell

Postby TimXCampbell » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:09 am UTC

exoren22 wrote:Try m.xkcd.com

Oddly enough, that's the page I always use and I'm using a tower PC, not a mobile. I just prefer the leaner presentation and the fact I can click open the hover text.

akon5ever

Postby akon5ever » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:56 am UTC

Seems like something chainsawsuit would have done on 2013/01/23.

alvinhochun

Postby alvinhochun » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:05 am UTC

What's the reason to visit an incomplete version and not able to zoom?
A mobile version of a webpage should never be incomplete. The only thing that changes should be the layout, not the content.

BTW:
peshmg wrote:It would be nice if the page would notice that you already have the app installed and assume that you didn't go to the webpage in the browser by mistake.

If there is such a function, it could increase the probability of opening a security loophole.

peshmg wrote:On the other hand, for some reason Android recently stopped opening address links in the Google Maps app and instead opens them in the browser. WTF??

Try to clear intent association.

Hiferator

Postby Hiferator » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:31 am UTC

alvinhochun wrote:If there is such a function, it could increase the probability of opening a security loophole.

Or you could just use a cookie. (Though those arguably do increase the probability of opening a security loophole as well.)

MechR

Postby MechR » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:45 am UTC

All of my hate.

Dr. Gamera

Postby Dr. Gamera » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:18 am UTC

For the hover text, you can always just read the Individual XKCD Comic Thread.

That's why I'm here.

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:26 am UTC

Dr. Gamera wrote:

For the hover text, you can always just read the Individual XKCD Comic Thread.

That's why I'm here.

I still feel uneasy about reading new comics here instead of uni.xkcd.com as I used to.

najodleglejszy

Postby najodleglejszy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:44 am UTC

peshmg wrote:It would be nice if the page would notice that you already have the app installed and assume that you didn't go to the webpage in the browser by mistake.

I don't use much website-dedicated apps, as 340 MB of internal memory in my Xperia mini pro wouldn't fit all the apps I'd want to use (one day I may partition my SD card. one day, maybe), but the phone recognizes Play Store, Google+ and YouTube links and, once you choose to open them by respective apps instead of browser and make the phone remember the action, everything works well.

ephraimephraim

Postby ephraimephraim » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:46 am UTC

Some humor is funny because it's true. This one is sad because it's true.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:16 am UTC

peshmg wrote:This happens to me every time I try to go to Google Plus from a mobile browser. I already have the app, but sometimes I prefer to use the browser (especially if I'm going from one of my other Google accounts).

It would be nice if the page would notice that you already have the app installed and assume that you didn't go to the webpage in the browser by mistake.

On the other hand, for some reason Android recently stopped opening address links in the Google Maps app and instead opens them in the browser. WTF??

Mine Android detects Google Maps links and asks how I want to open it (also asks whether I want to make that choice default or not)

Vroomfundel

Postby Vroomfundel » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:46 am UTC

I have two pet peeves in this area:

1. Apps that are not only incomplete and can't zoom but also don't detect tilting and only present themselves in portrait layout.
Especially annoying when you have a phone with slide-out qwerty keyboard that slides to the side - good luck with typing on it with your screen sideways :-)

2. Apps that don't to any caching and depend on live connection to display anything.
What's the point? Someone told them that mobile apps are the next big thing and they want a piece of the pie? The want additional exposure through the app stores? Exposure - my arse, there are over 500,000 apps in those app stores, for yours to get noticed it has to actually be good
lexicum.net - my vocabulary learning platform

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:15 pm UTC

1. Solve the recurring dialog problem by allowing cookies from that site. Delete the ones you don't like, problem solved.
2. In Android, clear the default launcher by going to application manager (or equivalent) and clearing the default for the app that launches.
3. So... we aren't going to get tapatalk any time here soon then.
4. On android stock browser select 'view desktop version' and make default.
5. Solve the tilt problem with one of the many rotation managers in the Play store.
6 and 7. Obligatory question marks and profit.

I quite liked this one but the realisation in 3 above was a slight disappointment.
Last edited by Red Hal on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:30 pm UTC

Quicksilver wrote:I hate mobile versions of websites. Just give me the desktop version and let me determine how I want to handle text viewing.

Thank goodness for UserAgent strings. IIRC, the versions of Chrome and Opera and Dolphin on my Android tablet all let me specify "behave as though desktop" so I can get the normal (if you pardon the term) pages.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:08 pm UTC

Arariel wrote:
exoren22 wrote:Try [url]m.xkcd.com[/url]

That's cute. But I couldn't discover any way to get to this forum (or any other) from that page. Anyone know if it's possible?

Philbert

Postby Philbert » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:12 pm UTC

The Slate app is a gruelling example. When linking to another article on Slate, it will not fetch the other article within the app but open the browser, only to show a full screen message telling me to install the app. Grrrrr.

Also, whenever I open the app, it will say "Article currently unavailable"

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

jc wrote:
Arariel wrote:

That's cute. But I couldn't discover any way to get to this forum (or any other) from that page. Anyone know if it's possible?

Nope, it's impossible. You're not here; neither are we :-) . What are you asking? You can always reach any valid page by typing its URL into the location bar. Were you hoping for a link button? 'cause there isn't one even on the desktop xkcd front page.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

YellowYeti

Postby YellowYeti » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Nope, it's impossible. You're not here; neither are we :-) . What are you asking? You can always reach any valid page by typing its URL into the location bar. Were you hoping for a link button? 'cause there isn't one even on the desktop xkcd front page.

There's a single link from the 'about' page to the forum - still a glimmer of light getting through to this dark corner

snipped the quote to prevent being flagged as spam :?

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:48 pm UTC

YellowYeti wrote:
cellocgw wrote:

There's a single link from the 'about' page to the forum - still a glimmer of light getting through to this dark corner

snipped the quote to prevent being flagged as spam :?

Just type "cd fora" at uni.xkce.com =P

Tass

Postby Tass » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

jc wrote:
Arariel wrote:

I can't find a way to the forum from the main page on a pc any more. Is there still a direct link?

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:48 pm UTC

Conversely: Wikipedia, why you assume I want to read your full web page either using a microscope, or at 200% screen width.

Scroll, scroll, scroll. End of line. Backbackback, scroll, scroll, scroll...

twvogelsang

Postby twvogelsang » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:26 pm UTC

Great minds think alike:

Great thoughts yesterday from Scott Hanselman (Scott Hanselman's Computer Zen) on this.

Ok...........so I can't post a url but he's the top result under that name on google.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:32 pm UTC

Philbert wrote:The Slate app is a gruelling example. When linking to another article on Slate, it will not fetch the other article within the app but open the browser, only to show a full screen message telling me to install the app. Grrrrr.

Also, whenever I open the app, it will say "Article currently unavailable"

Cracked app does the same think. Click on a link to another article and there comes the browser.

Jinxed

Postby Jinxed » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:34 pm UTC

Even better is when the article does a sudden full-zoom out. I love that.

nitePhyyre

Postby nitePhyyre » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:Monopolies are not when a single company controls the market for a single product.

You don't become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard you become great in the process.

jay35

Postby jay35 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

I very much enjoyed this comic. :)

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

As usual, this app neglects to mention a few important details:

Terms and Conditions

When you download our app, you agree to give us your email address (all of them, if you have more than one), real name (and all of your aliases, nicknames, and screen names if you have any), address, social security number, birth date, birth certificate number, passwords to interesting sites, and any biometric data we might ask for. You agree our app may extract any and all personal information from your device, including your credit card number (which we will use to give ourselves a large donation via MunnyFren). You agree we may share your data with anyone we sign a contract with (including the pedophile who lives on your street) and any of our employees (including the creepy janitor). You agree we may share your information with law enforcement, anyone who works in law enforcement, and/or anyone who looks a little bit like they might be law enforcement. You agree that we (or our larcenous junior accountant) may use your data for a few loans taken out in your name. You agree that downloading our app does not end the inane yes/no pop-up questions, because we do this to improve your experience (and our idea of "improve" is a little odd). You agree to tolerate our pop-up ads, including in your other apps; again, because we want to improve your experience, but mostly because we want to line our pocketbook. You have no rights under this agreement; you hereby agree that you gave up all of those, in perpetuity, when you downloaded our app.
In all fairness...

nowhereman

Postby nowhereman » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

Coyne wrote:As usual, this app neglects to mention a few important details:

Terms and Conditions

When you download our app, you agree to give us your email address (all of them, if you have more than one), real name (and all of your aliases, nicknames, and screen names if you have any), address, social security number, birth date, birth certificate number, passwords to interesting sites, and any biometric data we might ask for. You agree our app may extract any and all personal information from your device, including your credit card number (which we will use to give ourselves a large donation via MunnyFren). You agree we may share your data with anyone we sign a contract with (including the pedophile who lives on your street) and any of our employees (including the creepy janitor). You agree we may share your information with law enforcement, anyone who works in law enforcement, and/or anyone who looks a little bit like they might be law enforcement. You agree that we (or our larcenous junior accountant) may use your data for a few loans taken out in your name. You agree that downloading our app does not end the inane yes/no pop-up questions, because we do this to improve your experience (and our idea of "improve" is a little odd). You agree to tolerate our pop-up ads, including in your other apps; again, because we want to improve your experience, but mostly because we want to line our pocketbook. You have no rights under this agreement; you hereby agree that you gave up all of those, in perpetuity, when you downloaded our app.

I read this and suddenly remembered why I give the EFF my money.
"God does not play dice with... Yahtzee!" - Little known quote from Einstein

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

Arariel wrote:http://m.xkcd.com

There's some irony in the fact that someone who complains about sites that can't accommodate mobile browsers resorted to making a separate mobile version of the site instead of relying on CSS to make the regular site mobile-friendly. If I want to not view a site in its convenient mobile form, I'll manually set the browser to identify as a desktop browser, thanks.

EDIT: And he actually uses the term "alt-text". Some geek he turned out to be.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

faunablues

Postby faunablues » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

Oh man, this problem... I don't get how we can have had smartphones so long yet there's so many sites that either have terrible mobile versions or terrible apps. Some of the "apps" are just identical to the mobile site (why create an app?). Or even Facebook where viewing an update on a group thread directed you to the main group page with no indication of which thread (terrible on popular pages)... and this was until a couple months ago.

Or! When you're redirected to the mobile site and can't get to the regular site, and the mobile site is incomplete or doesn't work or arrrgh

Morgan Wick

Postby Morgan Wick » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

Ideally, an app should be programmed such that you don't need to zoom the way you have to with some sites.

I actually think the future belongs to an age where damn near every web site comes in app form and is primarily used that way - especially given how Microsoft has changed Windows and how much the Metro version of IE sucks (and if you have a Windows RT machine, you're stuck with it). I just hope these apps don't resemble Wikipedia's Windows 8 app...incomplete AND looks horrible, perfectly illustrating just how much Microsoft got wrong with how it designed the OS.

najodleglejszy

Postby najodleglejszy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:5. Solve the tilt problem with one of the many rotation managers in the Play store.

I admit, I haven't try any app like this, but it's rather about landscape mode not existing in some apps. I'm using a phone with hardware keyboard and usually sliding it out makes the phone switch to landscape mode (even launcher with auto-rotation disabled). and some apps don't react on the hardware keyboard being slid out, so I doubt a rotation manager would fix it.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:32 pm UTC

The portrait-vs-landscape problem and the problem of mobile sites in general could all have been easily solved if sites just reflowed their contents appropriately based on view port size. (Mobile OS's then rotate and rescale the viewport on tilt). Seriously, in this age of such a dizzying array of screen sizes from tiny phone screens to giant widescreen TVs, how does anyone still think they can design a site to target one fixed viewport size? At the very least, target several different fixed viewport sizes, detect the viewport size and switch between them. The technology already exists to do this, damnit, just use it people! (It also bothers me that some mobile devices just assume that unless otherwise specified a site is targeted at a typical desktop viewport, so even if your site does reflow fine into tiny viewports, unless you reserve the same layout marked as for mobile devices, you'll get a shrunken version of a 1024x768 viewport on a mobile device).

Of course, having worked as a web designer and developer, I know the real problem is that PHBs and clients demand that something looks exactly some way on one specific device, and don't care that that design decision sabotages the ability to fluidly reflow the layout on different devices. Then they come around later and wonder why we don't have a "mobile version" of the site, and don't want to hear that making the site appropriate for mobile devices was part of the objection to their earlier decrees...
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”