1177: "Time Robot"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

webgiant

Re: 1177: "Time Robot"

Postby webgiant » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:34 am UTC

magemax wrote:And this robot clearly doesn't respect First Law

Maybe it is a Zeroth Law Robot and your son will pee in the wrong lake and wipe out humanity.

Pfhorrest wrote:
Plutarch wrote:Is rebirth inevitable too? When, in the infinite future, someone discovers how to re-animate beings from the past, and decides to bring us all back to life?

There was a book that had something like that in it, I want to say The Light Of Other Days. After the development of a technology which allows the scanning of information from anywhere in space and time, a utopian future human civilization decides to reach back into the past, scan the DNA and brain patterns of everyone who's ever died, clone them and download their minds into the cloned bodies and let them live forever in this utopian future. IIRC prominent religious figures like Jesus are even there -- those of them which actually existed to be resurrected along with everyone else, that is. They essentially built the afterlife.

Sounds more like the "Star Trek Transporter Afterlife", where the originals all died but the copies live on.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:45 pm UTC

webgiant wrote:Sounds more like the "Star Trek Transporter Afterlife", where the originals all died but the copies live on.

If the copies are indistinguishable in every way except location and post-copying experience, then the distinction between "original" and "copy" is somewhat dubious...

J L

Postby J L » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:38 pm UTC

W3ird_N3rd wrote:
J L wrote:I really liked the title text, even the caps. The idea of course is an old one, but the wording is really beautiful. Am I missing a quote? If not, well done, Randall.

No fate but what we make for ourselves.

Thank you. Well. Side-swipe or not, I still like it :)
Edit: Double side-swipe, actually. Damn, I'm slow.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:57 am UTC

Sprocket wrote:Time flies like an arrow
french fries like a potato.

I thought it was "Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." a la the Zilean joke from League of Legends. (If you don't play, imagine that line read in a Ghandi accent)

addams

Postby addams » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:49 am UTC

Biliboy wrote:
Sprocket wrote:Time flies like an arrow
french fries like a potato.

I thought it was "Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." a la the Zilean joke from League of Legends. (If you don't play, imagine that line read in a Ghandi accent)

I thought is was Groucho Marx. The other Marx brother.
He wasn't very grouchy at all.

That wasn't tobacco he was smoking.
How would ya' know.
They didn't have smellovision.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

amulshah7 wrote:
moocow2024 wrote:The time robot has one red eye lol.

Yeah, I noticed that. Is there a reason for that? Also, I like how the clock shows 10:10 (one of the most common times to show up on a clock in ads, media, etc.).

On an analogue clock, 10:10 makes the hands look like a smile.
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

Belästiger wrote:10 bucks that guy is a pick-up artist.
I guess you're right. And guy-with-hair in today's comic (1178) was hanging out with him.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:30 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
Plutarch wrote:Is rebirth inevitable too? When, in the infinite future, someone discovers how to re-animate beings from the past, and decides to bring us all back to life?

There was a book that had something like that in it, I want to say The Light Of Other Days. After the development of a technology which allows the scanning of information from anywhere in space and time, a utopian future human civilization decides to reach back into the past, scan the DNA and brain patterns of everyone who's ever died, clone them and download their minds into the cloned bodies and let them live forever in this utopian future. IIRC prominent religious figures like Jesus are even there -- those of them which actually existed to be resurrected along with everyone else, that is. They essentially built the afterlife.

That was also explored in a different manner in Transcendent, also by Baxter (minus the Clarke), where a nigh-godlike future panhuman mind attempts to repair the past by sending echoes around the far side of time so they can observe and interact with the distant past.
mu

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:48 pm UTC

webgiant wrote:
magemax wrote:And this robot clearly doesn't respect First Law

Maybe it is a Zeroth Law Robot and your son will pee in the wrong lake and wipe out humanity.

Pfhorrest wrote:

Sounds more like the "Star Trek Transporter Afterlife", where the originals all died but the copies live on.

Clearly at some point the Federationeers must have begun producing transporter arrays with Soular Compensators. Before that, they were probably just getting were empty shells of people, and losing the souls to heaven/hell. (Soular Power?)
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

NiteClerk

Postby NiteClerk » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:01 pm UTC

Yeah, I noticed that. Is there a reason for that? Also, I like how the clock shows 10:10 (one of the most common times to show up on a clock in ads, media, etc.).

Most brand names are centered between the 12 and center of the clock. Setting the hands at 10:10 frames the name in a nice symmetrical manner. Face it, 8:20 would look odd.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:23 am UTC

NiteClerk wrote:Most brand names are centered between the 12 and center of the clock. Setting the hands at 10:10 frames the name in a nice symmetrical manner. Face it, 8:20 would look odd.
To quote Cameron Phillips (best time robot), "Thank-you for explaining."
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:41 am UTC

J L wrote:I really liked the title text, even the caps. The idea of course is an old one, but the wording is really beautiful. Am I missing a quote? If not, well done, Randall.
I knew about "No fate but what we make for ourselves", but is the rest of the stuff about "the narratives we impose on life's random chaos" from somewhere in particular? It sounds like something Kierkegaard might say.

Of course, now Googling just turns up dozens of references to the comic, so that's no help.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”