1183: "Rose Petals"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

WyldStallyns

Re: 1184: "Rose Petals"

Postby WyldStallyns » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:47 am UTC

Lode wrote:
tibfulv wrote:
Lode wrote:I don't understand this one! I know the rose petals must have something to do with love, but I still have no clue what this is about.

Usually XKCD's have some funny catch or are a reference to something. I don't see the catch here, and don't know what the reference is.

Could someone explain? Thanks!

I can try. After all, I have extensive education from movies. The conventional setup is that someone who loves you lays down a path of roses. Normally this path would lead to a bed with your love lying on it invitingly. The twist is that the pathlayer is a roomba.

And that is how you destroy a joke explaining it ....

Thanks for the explanation, that makes me understand it a bit more! I'm still missing one thing though:

Why is it funny that the pathlayer is a roomba instead of a girl? I mean, ok, it's a twist, but I don't see how it's funny, or interesting. Someone played a prank on him? But this kind of prank is only funny to the one who did it... Or his girl dumped him and did this to hurt his feelings? Nothing funny or interesting about that.

Also, couldn't whoever installed that roomba thing, have laid out the path by hand instead?

The Roomba IS "her," hence the alt-text.
"I give the Internet credit for everything good that has happened since 1969." - Bob Metcalfe, inventor of Ethernet.

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:18 am UTC

WyldStallyns wrote:The Roomba IS "her," hence the alt-text.

Then who is he talking to in the alt-text?

Jofur

Postby Jofur » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:42 pm UTC

Klear wrote:

You, of course!
Everybody is doing it and nobody knows why.

WyldStallyns

Postby WyldStallyns » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

Klear wrote:

Whoever seems to be questioning his relationship with his Roomba. That's how I read it anyway, seems like this comic may have multiple meanings, or none at all and we're just overthinking it.
"I give the Internet credit for everything good that has happened since 1969." - Bob Metcalfe, inventor of Ethernet.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Re: 1183: "Rose Petals"

Postby bmonk » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:10 am UTC

Are we really going to continue to ignore the Elephant in the Roomba?
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

cptjeff

Postby cptjeff » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:37 pm UTC

WyldStallyns wrote:
Klear wrote:

Whoever seems to be questioning his relationship with his Roomba. That's how I read it anyway, seems like this comic may have multiple meanings, or none at all and we're just overthinking it.

You're overthinking it. It's just a play on the expectation versus reality. Rose petals strewn all over the place are expected to be the leadup to a women lying naked on a bed of flowers or something similar. The joke is that, at the end of the trail, there's a rogue roomba, not a women who wants to have sex with him. That's it.

ubel wrote:
da Doctah wrote:So if the comic is #1183, why is the comment thread #1184?

I don't know, but I'm filled with both shame and curous wonder about whether the comic number will be 1185, or if next thread will be 1183.

I presume it has something to do with the disappearing comic. There's a thread for it here, but it pops up randomly and doesn't appear in the normal order, IIRC. The 10,000 people newly discover any given thing each day one.

dimochka wrote:
Moose Anus wrote:GOOMHR. I bought a Roomba last night, and this morning I tried to get the cat to ride on it.

One of my co-workers just told me that:

A. This works, and quite well.
B. This works even better if you get your cat drunk first.

I'm a bit scared to ask for more details, but considerably more intrigued than scared.

As my mother learned by accident, leaving a white russian unattended will achieve that result pretty well. Cats generally love milk and cream, and if it's spiked in any way, you have a drunk cat.

Or you might be able to just give them beer. I had a beer start foaming over and spill onto the floor once, and the dog really, really liked it.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:48 pm UTC

cptjeff wrote:
dimochka wrote:One of my co-workers just told me that:

I'm a bit scared to ask for more details, but considerably more intrigued than scared.

As my mother learned by accident, leaving a white russian unattended will achieve that result pretty well. Cats generally love milk and cream, and if it's spiked in any way, you have a drunk cat.

Or you might be able to just give them beer. I had a beer start foaming over and spill onto the floor once, and the dog really, really liked it.

If it's on accident that's one thing, but if you're getting the pets drunk on purpose, I suppose it could be considered animal cruelty. That is, if you are just doing it for fun - if you are performing an experiment, then it might be okay?

Anyway, it might be unlawful, along the lines of how it's unlawful to get your child drunk. One is bad parenting, the other bad petownering. Not sure why exactly, if there's not permanent damage, though. Not that I would do this! Just saying!
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:
cptjeff wrote:
dimochka wrote:One of my co-workers just told me that:

If it's on accident that's one thing, but if you're getting the pets drunk on purpose, I suppose it could be considered animal cruelty. That is, if you are just doing it for fun - if you are performing an experiment, then it might be okay?

Anyway, it might be unlawful, along the lines of how it's unlawful to get your child drunk. One is bad parenting, the other bad petownering. Not sure why exactly, if there's not permanent damage, though. Not that I would do this! Just saying!

http://helenair.com/news/local/crime-an ... 3ce6c.html

Moral of the story: Your pet is not drunk if it can walk in a straight line, and maybe say the alphabet backwards. I guess if my friend Catherine were not drunk but rode a roomba, it wouldn't be able to walk in a straight line anyway.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

project2051

Postby project2051 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

Moose Anus wrote:http://helenair.com/news/local/crime-an ... 3ce6c.html

Moral of the story: Your pet is not drunk if it can walk in a straight line, and maybe say the alphabet backwards. I guess if my friend Catherine were not drunk but rode a roomba, it wouldn't be able to walk in a straight line anyway.

Hey if the dog is over 3 years old he should be legal to drink.

If a drunk cat is riding a roomba, is it operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated?

Jofur

Postby Jofur » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:40 pm UTC

project2051 wrote:

If a drunk cat is riding a roomba, is it operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated?

Nah, it's beating humans to the punch of transporting drunks with robots!
Everybody is doing it and nobody knows why.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:58 pm UTC

project2051 wrote:

No--it doesn't have actual physical control, since it's only a passenger. But we also know that an electric wheelchair does not qualify as a vehicle for the purposes of dui/dwi.

But how does one tell whether a cat can walk a straight line? They won't cooperate anyway.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Klear

Postby Klear » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:11 pm UTC

bmonk wrote:
project2051 wrote:

No--it doesn't have actual physical control, since it's only a passenger. But we also know that an electric wheelchair does not qualify as a vehicle for the purposes of dui/dwi.

But how does one tell whether a cat can walk a straight line? They won't cooperate anyway.

Make it walk on something very narrow? Wait, damn... more cruelty.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”