0350: "Network"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Deskchair Intellectual

Re: "Network" Discussion

Postby Deskchair Intellectual » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:56 am UTC

ssladler wrote:Can you make them fight?

Oh man that'd be so cool.
14 year old, spends her life reading links of Wikipedia articles and webcomics.

SolkaTruesilver

Postby SolkaTruesilver » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:01 am UTC

That is deep man. We actually began to create the first things that come close to AI.

And we make them fight each other for our pleasure.

I am not sure we should create clones anymore... Imagine what we would make with them..

Postby 6453893 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:03 am UTC

deja wrote:awesome, but to the alt text, virus's arnt impossible to make for mac (dunno about linux), they are just VERY uncommon, since the vast majority uses windows... So, if macs win in the future, virus makers will just go after them instead.

You can make a virus for OS X, but compared to windows it is very, very difficult.
And trust me, I've tried, and tried, and tried.

piesquared88

Postby piesquared88 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:16 am UTC

Well, assuming you could actually keep the computers running despite all the viruses that might actually be kinda cool to watch. I know there are at least a few viruses out there that will clean the parts of your PC they need, killing other viruses on the way. It might be really interesting to make sure you got two of those that were both aware of each other and see how long they fought before one won...

But of course all this is secondary to my plan to prove (a major aspect of) evolution by doing that on purpose. Like most of my retarded plans it is probably theoretically plausible but too much work for me to actually try. Step one: distill a virus into a few hundred discrete components, and maybe make a few starting versions of each part. Step two: make it so that each time it infects a machine, a there is a tiny chance of each part mutating randomly... adding or changing random code in a preset form that does little more then insure validity of the code. Be sure to have redundant effects (so one small change can't screw the entire thing too easily) and keep the replication portion of the code free from mutations. Make sure that one of the effects of this virus is that it cleans the computer of other viruses, and refuses to co-exist with another version of itself, if it can find that virus. Make sure that it actively and passively defend itself from removal. Maybe let a few generations go at it in a closed network to make sure everything worked. Step three: release into the wild with as many different initial cases as possible. Step four: watch as the code spread across computers - actually improving the efficiency of most infected computers and slowly evolving to hide (from users) better, kill better, survive better, and reproduce better. If the rules for mutations were well coded, eventually new features no human ever coded or anticipated would appear, proving that random mutations can create new information and thereby removing any last shreds of arguments from those who oppose evolution.

A sorta similar thing was done with the "evolution of a watch" video on youtube, but this is more natural (taking place "in the wild") and I think more interesting, using actual competition instead of a "judge" code that decided which was better. Also, my plan has a much larger chance of accidentally creating true artificial intelligence from "the network" (as per another xkcd comic...) which makes it inherently better. I declare this experiment to be entirely ethical especially if it creates a hive mind that tries to destroy the internet (AKA the world).

ellipsis

Postby ellipsis » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:19 am UTC

All the other virtual machines would fade out...

in bright flashing letters on the screen appears...

MORTAL KOMBAT

ellipsis

Postby ellipsis » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:28 am UTC

deja wrote:awesome, but to the alt text, virus's arnt impossible to make for mac (dunno about linux), they are just VERY uncommon, since the vast majority uses windows... So, if macs win in the future, virus makers will just go after them instead.
I wouldn't call myself an expert on Windows internals or *nix internals by any means, but from what I know, *nix has fewer attack vectors. The number of places you can eff something up in the registry is insane, for one thing. But more than anything else, what causes problems is people running in perma-administrator mode while not possessing the intelligence of an administrator ( we're assuming that all administrators are intelligent beings here, which as we know is purely theoretical ).

Ashbash

Postby Ashbash » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:28 am UTC

That virtual windows thing would look so cool... it'd be hypnotic.

Mecks

Postby Mecks » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:31 am UTC

I loved the comic, but I, too, was secretly hoping for a "Network" reference. I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Munroe were a Sydney Lumet buff like I am.

If he titles the next comic, "Twelve Angry Men", we'll know he's fucking with our heads.
You can't sleep at night
You can't dream your dream
Your fingerprints on file
Left clumsily at the scene

Your own worst enemy has come to town...

seanm028

Postby seanm028 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:33 am UTC

EvanED wrote:
seanm028 wrote:
EvanED wrote:That said, methinks you underestimate the nativity/stupidity of the average user.

Perhaps you meant naïveté?

I fully admit to not knowing how to spell. ;-)

And occasionally being really stupid.

No worries :D I just thought it was funny that you said "nativity." I mean, it is Christmas time and all, but...

And by the way, I had to look it up online to find out where the accents and dots went.

aerojad
Wall O' AWESOME

Postby aerojad » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:41 am UTC

SolkaTruesilver wrote:That is deep man. We actually began to create the first things that come close to AI.

And we make them fight each other for our pleasure.

I am not sure we should create clones anymore... Imagine what we would make with them..

action movie extras.

Solt

Postby Solt » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:45 am UTC

Couldn't you just emulate the parts of the OS that viruses require to survive and reproduce? Like, you don't need any graphical elements, that would probably reduce the size and CPU usage of the VMs considerably, allowing you to build a viral code-arium using pretty modest hardware.

piesquared88 wrote:a bunch of stuff

You're pretty smart, that's a great idea.

So great in fact, that it's already been done :).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_algorithm
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

distributed

Postby distributed » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:59 am UTC

yes... but what do you feed them ?
siggy baby

Olivaise

Postby Olivaise » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:02 am UTC

Post deleted by user.
Last edited by Olivaise on Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Uthor

Postby Uthor » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:03 am UTC

piesquared88 wrote:Well, assuming you could actually keep the computers running despite all the viruses that might actually be kinda cool to watch. I know there are at least a few viruses out there that will clean the parts of your PC they need, killing other viruses on the way. It might be really interesting to make sure you got two of those that were both aware of each other and see how long they fought before one won...

But of course all this is secondary to my plan to prove (a major aspect of) evolution by doing that on purpose. Like most of my retarded plans it is probably theoretically plausible but too much work for me to actually try. Step one: distill a virus into a few hundred discrete components, and maybe make a few starting versions of each part. Step two: make it so that each time it infects a machine, a there is a tiny chance of each part mutating randomly... adding or changing random code in a preset form that does little more then insure validity of the code. Be sure to have redundant effects (so one small change can't screw the entire thing too easily) and keep the replication portion of the code free from mutations. Make sure that one of the effects of this virus is that it cleans the computer of other viruses, and refuses to co-exist with another version of itself, if it can find that virus. Make sure that it actively and passively defend itself from removal. Maybe let a few generations go at it in a closed network to make sure everything worked. Step three: release into the wild with as many different initial cases as possible. Step four: watch as the code spread across computers - actually improving the efficiency of most infected computers and slowly evolving to hide (from users) better, kill better, survive better, and reproduce better. If the rules for mutations were well coded, eventually new features no human ever coded or anticipated would appear, proving that random mutations can create new information and thereby removing any last shreds of arguments from those who oppose evolution.

A sorta similar thing was done with the "evolution of a watch" video on youtube, but this is more natural (taking place "in the wild") and I think more interesting, using actual competition instead of a "judge" code that decided which was better. Also, my plan has a much larger chance of accidentally creating true artificial intelligence from "the network" (as per another xkcd comic...) which makes it inherently better. I declare this experiment to be entirely ethical especially if it creates a hive mind that tries to destroy the internet (AKA the world).

a) This sounds like the beginning of New X-Men by Grant Morrison where the Sentinals were allowed to evolve, adapt, and fight in a closed system before being sent into the wild to kill mutants.

b) I have a feeling you'll be left with a bunch of viruses so adapt at hiding and killing others that they will eventually be undetectable by users and lethal to any lesser virus, thus becoming the greatest anti-virus program in existence.

bluecheese152

Postby bluecheese152 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:04 am UTC

Tuuli wrote:The big vid screen of networked consoles, the colours of the comps, and the discussion of virus's taking over the net, people standing in front of it. This screamed ReBoot: Daemon Rising. Please someone else see that? If it was accidental, it's my favourite strip ever. If it was purposeful, it's my favourite strip ever. I think you get the picture. XKCD and ReBoot can only combine to make a beautiful child, loved by everyone.

ReBoot was an entertaining and wonderful show/cartoon/whatever it really is. I can just see the next panel with Blaster and W32.Welchia bursting out of the monitor and infecting Mr. Stick Man. Bio virus vs. Comp virus, that'd be interesting.

Olivaise

Postby Olivaise » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:04 am UTC

distributed wrote:yes... but what do you feed them ?

Newly developed viruses of course. Then when they've finished their supper, for dessert you can give them a helping of the Internet's latest trojan.

See, it all works out fine. :wink:

Olivaise

Postby Olivaise » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:07 am UTC

Uthor wrote:
piesquared88 wrote:Well, assuming you could actually keep the computers running despite all the viruses that might actually be kinda cool to watch. I know there are at least a few viruses out there that will clean the parts of your PC they need, killing other viruses on the way. It might be really interesting to make sure you got two of those that were both aware of each other and see how long they fought before one won...

a) This sounds like the beginning of New X-Men by Grant Morrison where the Sentinals were allowed to evolve, adapt, and fight in a closed system before being sent into the wild to kill mutants.

b) I have a feeling you'll be left with a bunch of viruses so adapt at hiding and killing others that they will eventually be undetectable by users and lethal to any lesser virus, thus becoming the greatest anti-virus program in existence.

I just finished updating my to-do list and this is top priority. All that we need now is a Source Forge project.

cs24

Postby cs24 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:11 am UTC

Solt wrote:
piesquared88 wrote:a bunch of stuff

You're pretty smart, that's a great idea.

So great in fact, that it's already been done :).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_algorithm

A professor at my university was just talking about his research in evolutionary computation this evening. :)

scwizard

Postby scwizard » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:23 am UTC

Tenth Speed Writer wrote:You know...

Come 2009, we need to assemble a team to begin work on the ultimate warhol worm.

It'll fire off January 1st, 2010.

It'll infect not only home networks, but somehow through means untold, adapt itself to any file type and transfer itself through any available wireless connection. We will crash bank networks, home computers, and government offices alike.

It will then proceed to post every single sequence of numbers resembling a credit card, as well as any pertinent information, on a single page; it will be, effectively, the last site known to man.

Banks will have to shut down to prevent further loss of funds. The economic upset could well bring the downfall of the capitalist society we delude ourself into believing is the true path to happiness.

And the world will finally come to rest. The dinosaurs will summon their meteor.

Might be fun. Anyone in? : )

For some reason I don't think the path to saving the world is to destroy it. If you want to try and immanentize the eschaton you can count me out (there's no way I'd be motivated enough to try and stop you though lol).
~= scwizard =~

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:44 am UTC

Oh man, I so want to build a beowulf cluster to run like 40 virtual ME's. If that many viruses can be interacting at once, they've got to be able to create new viruses. Kind of like w32.gonasyphoherpaids, right?

Or some STI that James Bond has...

scwizard wrote:For some reason I don't think the path to saving the world is to destroy it.

Someone's never seen Fight Club.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

stzein

Postby stzein » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:46 am UTC

scwizard wrote:immanentize the eschaton

• You shouldn't verb.
  • Although the word immanent does exist, it doesn't make sense. Did you mean imminent?
  • Why not say something like "unleash the apocalypse"? At least I wouldn't have had to look up the words then.

About the "virus farm"; neat idea, but I personally prefer the simplicity of (John Conway's) game of life.

yaPete

Postby yaPete » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:09 am UTC

hendusoone wrote:So, he has at least 20 virtual Windows machines running. What sort of physical hardware is handling these? I hope it's not all on one physical machine... that would have to be one beast of a computer!

zSeries FTW!

hydrapheetz

Postby hydrapheetz » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:10 am UTC

The last line reminded me of my mother. That is, if my mother were as nerdy/geeky as I am. :P

benplaut

Postby benplaut » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:17 am UTC

Last edited by benplaut on Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

madjo

Postby madjo » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:27 am UTC

Ren wrote:Cue: Windows/Mac/Linux flame wars.

Clearly the Commodore 64 was teh best computar evar!
And Edlin the single bestest editor in the world. :)
Last edited by madjo on Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:56 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
:)

You are carrying:
- a slightly paranoid Android
- two left feet (not my own)
- a still unfed and very hungry hippo
- broadsword of +5 ridiculousness stained with the blood of the undead souls
- a stetson Resistol, cuz stetson Resistols are cool.

madjo

Postby madjo » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:54 am UTC

stzein wrote:

• You shouldn't verb.
  • Although the word immanent does exist, it doesn't make sense. Did you mean imminent?
  • Why not say something like "unleash the apocalypse"? At least I wouldn't have had to look up the words then.

Did you also find this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immanentize_the_eschaton
:)

You are carrying:
- a slightly paranoid Android
- two left feet (not my own)
- a still unfed and very hungry hippo
- broadsword of +5 ridiculousness stained with the blood of the undead souls
- a stetson Resistol, cuz stetson Resistols are cool.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:16 am UTC

"xkcd has jumped the shark" indeed. Bah! Brilliant comic. No shark in sight (lucky for those guys in Success, really).

Also,
top1214 wrote:You're a kitty virus!

Proximity works with everything.
exactly what I was thinking, but they need a more cutesy name. "You're a viri"?
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

bluescissor

Postby bluescissor » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:27 am UTC

Why not make the simulation similar to an actual aquarium? That might possibly have given him a semblance of being a "normal person" in her eyes.

You could have the stronger viruses be bigger and meaner fish. And whenever they infect a new computer, they grow bigger. In this case, I guess that the food would be new virtual boxes: "Aw, poor 'viri!' Here, have another Windows machine!"

Moo

Postby Moo » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:29 am UTC

bluescissor wrote:That might possibly have given him a semblance of being a "normal person" in her eyes.
Not to take away from the good idea that is your suggestion, that would be (a) probably not the case and (b) no fun :)
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Dave

Postby Dave » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:37 am UTC

Not only is this a great comic, it is an incredible idea.

I want one too :D

The_Fozz

Postby The_Fozz » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:41 am UTC

Deskchair Intellectual wrote:

code cock-fights? I'm down.

can we roll it into robot fighting and have one gigantic messy nerd fest of coder/driver teams trying to annihilate the opposition? I'm thinking malicious code must cause hardware overload that results in flames, just shutting down the opponets robot isn't good enough.

hell, pack em with explosives, you must hack your way into the robot to get to the explodey switch, success is based on your ability to block attacks while simultaneously attacking yourself.
~The difference between good design and great design is predictable failure.
~Even the coldness of logic and science can exhibit moments of exotherm.
~Geek of all trades, fanatic of none.

blameitonthesatellite

Postby blameitonthesatellite » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:48 am UTC

suso wrote:
Viruses so far have been really disappointing on the 'disable the internet' front, and time is running out. When Linux/Mac win in a decade or so the game will be over.

You know, in 10 years I think all sysadmins will have lost their sanity and will just shut off the internet. That will be the viruses winning.

This strip makes me want to tell everyone about my large synergy setup I have at work. I have 4 monitors on my desk and a laptop, then we have 4 large 37" LCD TVs on the wall for doing network monitoring. All these monitors are hooked up via synergy for a continuous desktop via 1 keyboard and mouse. Its 5 computers total, 3 Linux and 2 windows. The Linux machine that is running 2 of the monitors on the wall even has two seperate X sessions running so that I can switch the virtual desktops at different speeds.

It may not be the biggest synergy setup in the world, but it may be close.

One of the happiest days at my desk was when i found Synergy. I only have a (mac) laptop and a (Ubuntu/Win) desktop but it makes life so much easier, and I never tire at the confused look on peoples faces when I just move the mouse from one machine to the other in front of there eyes. It is very much like magic.

Moo

Postby Moo » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:55 am UTC

The_Fozz wrote:
Deskchair Intellectual wrote:

code cock-fights? I'm down.

can we roll it into robot fighting and have one gigantic messy nerd fest of coder/driver teams trying to annihilate the opposition? I'm thinking malicious code must cause hardware overload that results in flames, just shutting down the opponets robot isn't good enough.

hell, pack em with explosives, you must hack your way into the robot to get to the explodey switch, success is based on your ability to block attacks while simultaneously attacking yourself.
And the award for most awesomest spin-off from a comic goes to...

Ciaran

Postby Ciaran » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:34 am UTC

I posted this reply to the LiveJournal syndicated feed, and figured I'd share it with you guys too:

For anybody wanting to try this: please make sure you're responsible with the Internet access the infected computers have. Redirect port 25 outgoing to a dummy server on the host that doesn't send any emails, for example, so your machines can't be used as spam zombies. Something like this ought to do the trick, assuming your virtual network is 192.168.2.0/24 and you have your fake SMTP server running on 192.168.2.1 (which I'm assuming is the IP of the host on the virtual network):

# iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -s 192.168.2.0/24 -p tcp --dport 25 -d ! 192.168.2.0/24 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.2.1

You may also want to block port 6667 outgoing so you can't have IRC zombies running:

# iptables -A FORWARD -s 192.168.2.0/24 -p tcp --dport 6667 -j DROP

And of course you want to filter any connections from your virtual network to your normal network (which I'm assuming is 192.168.0.0/24):

# iptables -A FORWARD -s 192.168.2.0/24 -d 192.168.0.0/24 -j DROP

You'd also want to filter connections initiated from your network to ports 138, 139 and 445 of other computers outside of the virtual network. Unfortunately, I'm not certain of the command for that - you won't be able to just modify the port number in the command above because then you won't be able to get your virtual machines infected by worms from the outside. It's probably something using the "nat" table, I guess.

(As you can probably tell, I love to do this sort of thing myself. Not quite like as described in the comic, but I've certainly set up one virtual computer with an unpatched XP installation just for the purpose of watching it get infected - with the appropriate safeguards, as I say. Oh yeah, port 80 was also blocked and access was routed through an HTTP proxy, so I could log what sites were accessed from it.)

(am I mad? :D)

Powder

Postby Powder » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:38 am UTC

This one tugged at my heart strings... seriously.

I can has virus terrarium too?

pointfivenine

Postby pointfivenine » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:55 am UTC

Instead of actually using entire vm's, you could just make a program that makes a bunch of values for "computers" and then values for "viruses" and displays them in a similar fashion, as a screensaver or whatnot, like one of those random zombie flashes wandering the web.

But we wouldnt end up with the adorable superviruses at the end. :'(
What?

deserted

Postby deserted » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:07 pm UTC

A network like this actually exists at MIT Lincoln Laboratories. It's called LARIAT, for Lincoln Adaptable Real-time Information Assurance Testbed.

They have a giant room with tons of machines all running VMs. The VMs have simulated user activity, like email, word processing, watching youtube, getting coffee (inactivity) and surfing the web. A researcher I talked to said that they downloaded a fairly significant portion of the web, and used (with permission, of course) the computing habits of thousands of military people for their user habits. They said that they can virtualize up to 300,000 users or so. Then they inject viruses and see how they spread.

Working on LARIAT is basically my dream job.

libra

Postby libra » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:12 pm UTC

stzein wrote:

• You shouldn't verb.

Gerundheit.

stzein wrote:

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immanentize_the_eschaton

"In modern parlance, the phrase was coined by the late, great Eric Voegelin in The New Science of Politics in 1952. In the 1950s and 1960s, thanks largely to William F. Buckley's popularization of the phrase, Young Americans for Freedom turned it into a political slogan." - Jonah Goldberg, the National Review, Jan 2002.

The slogan's 55 years old already, having its beginnings in a discussion of Gnosticism, religion and 20th Century political doctrine. It was popularised in the 1960s onwards through the writings of the late Robert Anton Wilson, along others.

The most modern references in popular culture are also listed in the Wiki article, and again I quote:

"The phrase has been much used by Discordians. It is cited in the Principia Discordia, and is referred to fifteen times in The Illuminatus! Trilogy, the first of which is the first line of the novel, "It was the year when they finally immanentized the Eschaton." The phrase was also used in the debut single ("All You Need Is Love") by the Illuminatus!-inspired British band The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu: "With this killer virus who needs war? Immanentize the Eschaton, I said shag shag shag some more!". The phrase furthermore occurs in the lyrics of The Shamen's song 'Destination Eschaton': "So immanentise thy eschaton unto ragnarok or nemeton, and beyond in the name of Adam Kadmon"." [emphases mine]

Hail Eris.

pKp

Postby pKp » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:19 pm UTC

Hail Eris indeed.

This is the best XKCD since 133t : Part 5. Loved it. Now, I know where I can grab, like, 20 15' screens...all I need is a lot of switches :mrgreen:
    Experience is a thing you can't have for nothing - Oscar wilde

The_Fozz

Postby The_Fozz » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:52 pm UTC

and now for a productive comment :D

it may be easier and more energy/cost efficient to use a projector, be it a back projected aquarium like thing (more like a projector TV), or on a wall or, my personal favorite, something not unlike a reactable

biggest headache would obviously come from programming, it's one thing to track viruses and infections, which won't interact with each other like people would like, they'll just, well, do what they do (I guess you could add pretty effects to some sort of virus tracking system, which is my take on the comic, but I don't think one virus is actually going to attack another, but I admit I'm not well versed on my computer viruses)

or one could write code that simulates it by having "viruses" that move around randomly on a "network" and when they come into contact, some sort of random numbers are rolled based on size of the virus, not unlike, Iunno, the old digimon toys? (which was tamagotchi cock-fighting, haha)

maybe have a database of viruses, maybe even based on real-world counterparts, that randomly effect the network, and, Iunno, based on how ferocious the virus is its chance of attacking, or preying, on other viruses?

or maybe I just need to go to bed :roll:
    ~The difference between good design and great design is predictable failure.
    ~Even the coldness of logic and science can exhibit moments of exotherm.
    ~Geek of all trades, fanatic of none.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”