1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Mon May 27, 2013 7:10 am UTC

Ooh, a newpic with Squirpy and no Megan. This is new :D
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 27, 2013 7:20 am UTC

Apparently I'm not getting any sleep tonight. This large glowing screen in front of my face probably isn't helping...
Anyways, OtherComic!
Eternal Density wrote:Ooh, a newpic with Squirpy and no Megan. This is new :D

Indeed. I wonder if it'll cut back to Cue or Megan in the next 2-4 frames, or if it'll linger for longer than that.
Of course, now it's going to defy both of my predictions and cut back next frame...
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon May 27, 2013 7:22 am UTC

Oooh, another othercomic about cancer, It's All Related! :shock:
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Arky

Postby Arky » Mon May 27, 2013 7:31 am UTC

Flotter wrote:Looks like Squirpy's coming down to eat-ONG:

Heh, interesting that the scene has stayed with the squirpy and not followed Megan OR returned to Cueball. I guess it's pretty common for the OTC to linger on a scene for a frame after Cuegan have exited stage right or left, though. If we continue to follow the squirpy for a time, though, then it'll be interesting.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon May 27, 2013 7:33 am UTC

The Squirpy Saga continues! :D

I recommend that the squirpy gets its own Time Period, because it is too cute not to.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Mon May 27, 2013 7:36 am UTC

I've been wondering about something I noticed in the past several np...

Spoiler:
What is that flat spot to the left of the tree?
flat.png
flat.png (6.9 KiB) Viewed 16763 times

I was speculating to myself during my morning ketchup that it was a stream that Megs was about to get some water from, but the a np or so ago she went and stood on it. So. Not a stream. What then? A flat rock?
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Mon May 27, 2013 7:44 am UTC

mscha wrote:Now that I can write normally again Image , a bit more about the pronunciation of mscha.
I pronounce it em-sga (with a Dutch hard g), which is pretty much impossible to do for anyone who isn't Dutch. ...

I missed that. Your name is actually a Dutch shibboleth? Congratulations. ;-)

BlueCrab wrote:charlie_grumbles, kenmelken mentioned the Rite of AshkEnte in his ‘I'm ENGAGED!’ post, and at least one other person referred to it in response. Pretty sure there've been a couple of others :D

I mentioned the Rite of AshkEnte (however mispelled) on NP 685. But there's earlier evidence of pratchetting: On NP 552 mikrit quoted Death from Small Gods playing chess.

I cannot believe we got 552 NPs without a Terry Pratchett quote.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon May 27, 2013 7:48 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:To Vytron, because I have a feeling this is going to end up in the thread regardless of how I send this to him:
Spoiler:
I'll keep this quick, to minimize the risk of being outright rude.
Vytron wrote:You were one of the main people that made BlitzGirl sad and caused the delay of her awesome present present, you were the main person that almost made me keep blitzing in silence, and I'm quite certain you're also responsible for discouraging people for doing something they enjoyed doing, or have changed the way in where people have been posting for the worse.

This seems like it's a problem with me (and possibly a few other users) in particular. It's really best to resolve that sort of thing in a place where it's not going to derail the conversation at all.
Vytron wrote:You have the power to make the thread a more pleasing place to be, or to discourage people like me from following it. You're doing the latter. Please let people be who they are, keeping on explaining why you dislike the way they post or what they are posting isn't helping any, just makes people change, and that's alienation.

I haven't issued any direct commands to the community in general, and when I've had an issue with a specific user, I have taken it up with them via private message, because I don't want this thread falling apart. If a user doesn't feel like conforming to my opinions, I will by no means be angry with them, though I may make a polite request for them to change if their conduct is especially angering or is in frequent violation of the rules. Nothing's been nearly serious enough for me to even consider taking it to a moderator for them to resolve.

If any of my posts were somewhat distressing to you, then perhaps it might be a good idea to direct me to the aggravating posts in question, so I can place warning labels on them for others who may read them. Some of them are already spoilered, others may not be. To tell the truth, I don't remember, because I've made the decision to not pursue those things any further. As long as you aren't overlapping your quote and spoiler tags (thus mucking up the thread's formatting), I'll accept however a user chooses to post (with the exception of extreme and intentional rules violations).

ETA: Whoop de doo. Top o' the page.
ETA2 to remove rudeness that slipped through.

It's not a question of you accepting how other people post (though that's mighty gracious of you) THAT IS THE MINIMUM WE ALL EXPECT FROM EVERYONE. It's not about mucking up the format, nobody's done it deliberately so far. The word for it is "prat", but I think it may be a British idiom.
I don't think I want to say anymore about this; love to all, including Mr 9000.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon May 27, 2013 7:51 am UTC

Arky wrote:
Flotter wrote:Looks like Squirpy's coming down to eat-ONG:

Heh, interesting that the scene has stayed with the squirpy and not followed Megan OR returned to Cueball. I guess it's pretty common for the OTC to linger on a scene for a frame after Cuegan have exited stage right or left, though. If we continue to follow the squirpy for a time, though, then it'll be interesting.

It's at times like this that Looby LouLa Petite comes out to play.

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Mon May 27, 2013 7:57 am UTC

Vytron wrote: Something

HAL9000 wrote: Something else by PM

No. No. ]No!

This is *not* how you argue like a veteran married couple. Do you two youngster have no sense of historic context at all? See: Dave Barry's "How to argue like a veteran married couple".

It should not go like:

HAL9000 wrote:HAL9000: Think before you post. Eat your vegetables. Don't dance with werewolves in the moonlight.

Vytron wrote:I'll do whatever I like because this thread is all that is keeping me from going insane. Insane, I tell you! *injects men-flesheating bacteria into water supply of major city* Bwahaha!

No, I am thinking more along the lines of:

HAL9000 wrote:HAL9000: Think before you post. Eat your vegetables. Don't dance with werewolves in the moonlight.

Vytron wrote:Why do you always do that?

HAL9001 wrote:Do what?

Vytron wrote:Tell people what to do!

HAL9002 wrote:I don't always tell people what to do, it's just that I have this Great Rule Book of XKCD Forums and...

Vytron wrote:See! And what about eating the last cupcake at BlitzGirl's party? What about that?

HAL9003 wrote:I did, did I? Well, you were pages and pages behind so it would have gone stale if I had!

... and so on and so forth. Now, that's an argument. You were merely doing contradiction.

Seriously folks: HAL9000 had a point, which he made, albeit curmudgeonly. I.e. it could have been formulated a tad bit less straight from the police handbook. Vytron is responding emotionally, which is never a good thing - don't take this too seriously. After all, we're discussing a comic whose major excitement consisted of building a sandcastle, in which the major excitement was fading out to a new scene, that is about a couple following rivers and has spent several hours trying to feed a squirrel. Keep it all in perspective!

Cupcakes, anyone?

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Mon May 27, 2013 8:00 am UTC

Megan!-ONG

XonqNopp

Re: 1190: "Time" - Matches and the Persistence of Emotion

Postby XonqNopp » Mon May 27, 2013 8:08 am UTC

Hey I was wondering if you could also display the timestamps of creation and modification in your lists?
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon May 27, 2013 8:18 am UTC

This is mostly for Sciscitor and others interested. Bookmarklet in spoiler, zip file in attachment.

Two new features added.
  1. Ctrl+clicking will add a user to the web. Add more with each ctrl+click.
  2. Shift+clicking will automagically make a 2-level deep web from one user.
    • Which means something like this person quoted them and everyone they quoted, in all the directions.

Note to Chrome users: Shift+clicking requires a double click. So it is really shift+double-click. If I can figure out how to fix that I will update.

This is the result of shift+clicking on one user, davean (topmost then leftmost node):
cot.jpg
An example, featuring a single node with deeper connection.
I thought this one had a neat effect, sorta 3D. Results with other users will vary, i.e. popular quote(e|r)s will basically display the whole web.

Spoiler:

Code: Select all

javascript:var%20ottUser=[],svg=document.documentElement,style,loopTxt,clickTxt='\n\t\t#nodes%20circle,#node-labels-outline%20text,#node-labels%20text{cursor:pointer;}\n',showOnly=function(oU,all,add){var%20oUR,oURa,newi,index,i,j;if(!all&&!add&&ottUser[0]==oU){ottUser=[];style.textContent=clickTxt+'\t';}else{if(all){ottUser=[oU];oUR=document.getElementById('edges').getElementsByClassName(oU);for(j=oUR.length-1;j>=0;j--){oURa=oUR[j].getAttribute('class').split('%20');newi=oURa[Math.abs(oURa.indexOf(oU)-1)];if(ottUser.indexOf(newi)==-1){ottUser.push(newi)};};}else%20if(add){index=ottUser.indexOf(oU);if(index==-1){ottUser.push(oU)}else{ottUser.splice(index,1);if(!ottUser.length){style.textContent=clickTxt+'\t\t#edges%20path,#arrows%20polyline{visibility:hidden;}\n\t\t';return;};};}else{ottUser=[oU];};loopTxt=clickTxt+'\t\t#edges%20path,#arrows%20polyline{visibility:hidden;}\n\t\t';for(i=ottUser.length-1;i>=0;i--){loopTxt+='#edges%20path.'+ottUser[i]+',#arrows%20polyline.'+ottUser[i]+(i?',':'');};loopTxt+='{visibility:visible;}\n\t';style.textContent=loopTxt;};};(function(){var%20gEls=document.getElementsByTagName('g'),i,gChl,j;svg.insertBefore(document.createElementNS('http://www.w3.org/2000/svg','style'),document.getElementById('edges'));style=svg.getElementsByTagName('style')[svg.getElementsByTagName('style').length-1];style.textContent=clickTxt+'\t';for(i=gEls.length-1;i>=0;i--){gChl=gEls[i].getElementsByTagName('*');for(j=gChl.length-1;j>=0;j--){gChl[j].setAttribute('class',gChl[j].getAttribute('class').replace(/([0-9]+)/g,'u$1'));};};})();svg.addEventListener("click",function(e){var%20tar=e.target;if(tar.hasAttribute('class')&&tar.getAttribute('class').search(/u[0-9]+$/)===0){showOnly(tar.getAttribute('class'),e.shiftKey,e.ctrlKey);};},false);
Attachments
cot2.zip
svg, js files zipped.
(610.62 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
Last edited by azule on Mon May 27, 2013 8:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon May 27, 2013 8:22 am UTC

Flotter wrote:Megan!-ONG
Spoiler:

Idle musing: perhaps the reason why the vinefence is so stubby is because GLR wanted more of Cuegan to be visible.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Swein

Postby Swein » Mon May 27, 2013 8:33 am UTC

mikro2nd wrote:I've been wondering about something I noticed in the past several np...

Spoiler:
What is that flat spot to the left of the tree?
flat.png

I was speculating to myself during my morning ketchup that it was a stream that Megs was about to get some water from, but the a np or so ago she went and stood on it. So. Not a stream. What then? A flat rock?

My thought was that it was the same terrain as we have seen now and then now up in the hills. Just flatter. I thought of commenting about them earlier but couldn't find a good word in English for them. Anyway I think it is flat rocks as you say. Rocks that has been grinded flat by glaciers or whatever and where the grass haven't been able to establish itself.
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon May 27, 2013 8:44 am UTC

Vytron wrote:<snip response to HAL9000>
Please let people be who they are, keeping on explaining why you dislike the way they post or what they are posting isn't helping any, just makes people change, and that's alienation.
<snip>
I consider y'all a big family, and don't want secrets.

I believe what HAL was doing was expressing himself on an open forum. Sometimes there's a side effect of people construing the discussion as proposed law. It sure sounded like opinion to me. Only through consensus should we heed anything being expressed. And even then, we're all sentient beings who can do as we please.

I'm happy whenever I hear those who wish to have an online family. But, yeah, families do keep secrets from one another. Sometimes that's how the members grow.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon May 27, 2013 8:57 am UTC

azule wrote:...Sometimes that's how the members grow.

That's what she said?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon May 27, 2013 9:04 am UTC

azule wrote:
Vytron wrote:<snip response to HAL9000>

I believe what HAL was doing was expressing himself on an open forum. Sometimes there's a side effect of people construing the discussion as proposed law. It sure sounded like opinion to me.

HAL9000 wrote:I haven't issued any direct commands to the community in general, and when I've had an issue with a specific user, I have taken it up with them via private message, because I don't want this thread falling apart. If a user doesn't feel like conforming to my opinions, I will by no means be angry with them, though I may make a polite request for them to change if their conduct is especially angering or is in frequent violation of the rules. Nothing's been nearly serious enough for me to even consider taking it to a moderator for them to resolve.

This isn't an expression if opinion. It is a threat. With maybe a couple of "yet"s removed to tone it down.

I know I said I wasn't going to say more on this topic. I lied.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon May 27, 2013 9:04 am UTC

After all the squirpy action this is a bit of a let-dONG...

Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

edfel

Postby edfel » Mon May 27, 2013 9:26 am UTC

Shanman wrote:I've been sort of following this thread for a while. I read the first 60 pages or so and then just checked in occasionally. It's been a very helpful companion to keeping an eye on Time itself. (I've been keeping the comic, the map, the list of periods from the wiki, the Aubronwood image viewer, and this thread open for the past few weeks.) So thank you for the company.

I noticed you discussing the drafting of Tarot cards. I took a passing interest in them last summer and did some curiosity research. For the Tower (XVI) I think it'd be best to make it the sand castle as the water is rising, given that it's the card which symbolizes dramatic and inevitable change.

Anyways, maybe I'll comment again down the line, but for now I just enjoy reading along. One question though: why stop with the "update posts"? Back in the first 100 pages at least, you had people making a big post every few pages which kind of summarized some of the recent discussions, but we don't seem to have it anymore.... Then again, I guess the number of people watching is dwindling.

Welcome Shanman :)
I don't know if the number of people watching is really going down. Maybe people having outside sites have statistics on the number of visitors (I don't have reliable stats for the map now, all I can say is that it's been approximately constant in the past week...).

Anyway, yes, the update posts would be great sometimes. I think that the main issue is that it requires for the one making it to take interest in all aspects of the discussion to create a relevant summary... but it would be worth a try:)

Two completely separate thoughts:

- I hope Squirpy is currently enjoying the treat left by Megan, and will be friend and follow Cuegan in their upcoming adventures! :D They'd be Cueganpy!

- Today in Paris [1] is a Philosophical/CS talk about "Understanding and Manipulating Time in Computing" ... It definitely is ALL related :shock:

[1] in French: http://www-philo.univ-paris1.fr/Joinet/ ... 2-2013.pdf
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Mon May 27, 2013 9:37 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:After all the squirpy action this is a bit of a let-dONG...

I know! I was hoping to find out more about the mysterious lump of ... whatever it was that the squirpy was protecting. Maybe we'll be enlightened on her way back through?

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon May 27, 2013 9:46 am UTC

@k.bookbinder - I loved your Ugg/Beer story. Hehe, Beer as a name. :) Also, thanks for the response with my script. Try the new one too. Btw, what browser are you running it on?

@ttscp - nice snowflake thingy. They look like masks (eyelashes, eyes, nose).

@Blitz - Nice Feed Squirpies song. :)

BlitzGirl wrote:

That's what she said?
*sigh* I know what I wrote, but you're the one to get pervvy on it. :P And look at me appreciating you up there. :P :roll: :P

Exodies wrote:This isn't an expression if opinion. It is a threat. With maybe a couple of "yet"s removed to tone it down.
It is still opinion. I see it, still, as opinion, but expressed in a very legalistic way. Formal, whatever it is. It takes some reading-between-the-lines to not get offended by. I'm very similar in my verbal posturing, but I can edit better in my written expressions. So, hopefully I haven't come across in this way. But I have an understanding of these kinds of people, as they are me too.

Artemis_Wolf wrote:
Spoiler:
I'm not quite sure what you mean, though. There aren't "two anagrams of double dactyls"? :? Well, I guess "bioluminescently" doesn't really work without the apostrophe... And I think I did mess up the meter a little, if that's what you mean... (Version 1's line 2, for example, doesn't even have the right amount of syllables, because of the apostrophe... :!: Although, "time music, lonely Ben" would have. Screws up "bioluminescently" a bit, though.)

I grabbed a few lines from the different versions and twerked them a bit to try to get them to fit the double-dactyl form a little better:

Sand, nil-height hourglass mite.
Timely, en noble mus'c
Challenge accepted, Baum!
Life conquers all.

Animals shine: drought's light
Biolum'nescently.
Cueball Dee, Megan patch. (not sure where the stress would go best in this line, but I'm thinking "cue" now)
Liquor scene, fall.

If I misunderstood you, I'd appreciate it if you would explain what you mean in more detail. Thanks! (Also appreciated would be feedback on any aesthetic choices-- what you think would have been a better arrangement of the words/lines.)
Well, first, nice edition. But next, well, like your word "biolum'nescently", I thought the exercise was to match that word with its double-dactyl anagram cousin. My fake word would be "lumnobiescently", just to give you the idea I had in mind. Sorry I wasn't clear. Nor am I one to judge your success on the Double-Dactyl format, as I haven't absorbed the rules into my head. :(

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Mon May 27, 2013 9:51 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:I did the Hairy Alien just for fun - I don't think it has much informational value. The data is exactly the same as for the Constellations of Time.
The spirals are just for aestethic reasons, they could as well be straight spines. Each of the spines is a [heresy]day[/heresy] since the beginning of Time, all users who first posted in the OTT on this day are grouped together in one spine, starting clockwise. The spines themself are ordered with the most active quoters and quotees inside, diminishing further away from the center.
The size of the dots represents post count, the color average post length. The color and width of the edges denotes the quote count between two individuals. Only the widest edges have arrows attached to them.

Ah, cool, thanks. It looks fantastic, regardless.

BlitzGirl wrote:

That's what she said?

Yes.

Exodies wrote:This isn't an expression if opinion. It is a threat. With maybe a couple of "yet"s removed to tone it down.

I'm not sure why Hal is such a stickler for posting conventions and the like, and can come across as attempting to be authoritative, but though we may be off in our own little bubble in this thread, believing ourselves to be sealed off from the Outside, but we're still on a forum with moderators and rules, and pointing to their continued existence isn't really a 'threat' (nor are threats and expressions of opinions necessarily mutually exclusive).

I spose the problem with a thread such as this is the same as the reward- when you become emotionally invested in a thread/comic/community, things are bound to be taken personally.

Removed to not really being a useful comment.
Last edited by Kazza3 on Mon May 27, 2013 10:04 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon May 27, 2013 10:01 am UTC

OPONG the Bag...

This thread is repetitive, as I learned on my Quest.
Anyway, we shouldn't gang up on Hal too much, I mean, he's HAL9000. What did we expect, Dave? :wink:

I'm going to post the OTT flamefighter insignia again as I'm too coma-deprived to attempt more troubadouring right now:

And also, this thread is repetitive, as I learned on my Quest.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon May 27, 2013 10:02 am UTC

Exodies wrote:If I get excited about something, I don't want to make you feel bad about it just because you're the trigger. It could have been any of many person's convoluted mega post that I had problems to reply to; It could have been anyone's work habits I chose to make sound dull.

Sorry about the gender mixup, I thought your avatar was in drag :)
<hugs> have some cake (scroll back)

Thanks for your reply. I normally would have just let your other comment go, but I was already tired when I started reading and it was the first thing I saw, it just hit me wrong. And it does seem like that's not something to get that excited about. But I guess that could be said both ways! At any rate, since it seems like there's more support for multiquotes with spoilered long quotes, I'll probably keep doing that for those times I get way too far behind. As always, I'll try to keep my posts orderly and as concise as possible, and hopefully they won't be too difficult to read. Anyway, cake (and hugs) make everything better.

Interesting that you thought my avatar was in drag. If that was the case, I would have bigger hair and probably high heels. :D No, it's from OtherComic 996.

ttscp wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I feel badly that I haven't really contributed anything very concrete to the OTT.

I don't know how to measure contribution. Number of posts? New ideas? Or maybe, friendliness to others?
I for one, like it when I see your avatar. I know I'm going to read something interesting.

That's so sweet! Thank you! *grins, warm fuzzies fly around* And your post here is just lovely, very thoughtful and a wonderful description of what we have here in the OTT. It is a very special place, and the fact that we care so much about it, I think, does lead us occasionally to get overwrought. (Can one be underwrought?) And I just noticed your location, and it cracked me up.

azule wrote:@lmjb1964 - Cheer up! You are a neat member and we appreciate you.

It's nice to know I'm neatx. That's bigy of you to say. :D

xtree
ysea

And I'm better now, after a good coma and a relaxed manynewpix. We all can be excused one fit of pique, right? Right?

On other fronts, charlie_grumbles, I'm sorry, but your name does sound like the character in a children's book, one of those characters who act grumpy but are really very sweet.

ZoomanSP wrote:Long-time lurker, first-time poster (hey, I haven't read that in a while!). After waiting for It in five different countries in three different timezones, and reading almost everything on the OTT, I finally decided to join just to say: Y'all are an amazingly creative, funny and handsome bunch of people, and waiting for It on the OTC is much more fun when following the OTT at the same time. Thanks a lot and keep on waiting!
The river is small!

Oh, and since it's my birthday today, here is some cake for all of you:

Spoiler:
CAKE
Sorry, I can't post images yet. But be assured, the cake is 4

Welcome, Zooman, and thanks for the cake! The sea is big!

Vytron wrote:Oh, no idea, here, have a picture of two tits and a pussy:
Spoiler:

I'm shocked at you posting an obscene picture.
Spoiler:
Everyone in it is NAKED!

I didn't think Cuegan even had food. Where did she get the crumbs she's feeding to the squirlpy? Maybe I'll find out more in the new few newpix, but it's time to coma.

Thank you all for sharing this thread with me! Uh oh, I just saw in the preview window something about a flamewar. Yikes. Well, I think this too will pass. We've all come too far to let that happen. Who's with me?

Edited to fix a few punctuation errors.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Mon May 27, 2013 9:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon May 27, 2013 10:07 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:<snip> Well, I think this too will pass... Who's with me?

Let's Wait for it together.ZZZ

ZZZWell, after I coma, anyway. I don't know if being a-coma counts as Waiting?ZZ

ZZPerhaps comaing is just "unconscious Waiting." Or "unintentional Waiting."Z

ZBut if I glare during my coma, is that intentional unintentional Waiting?...

......comaTime, obviously.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon May 27, 2013 10:25 am UTC

Ontopix: I really wished that squirrel had been more mysterious, like the other creatures. I really wanted a squirpion: a squirrel with a fuzzy scorpion tail, luring you close with its fuzzy cheeks and pension for nuts, then, BAM, squirpion sting right in the eye! then it runs up a tree, never to be caught.

Also, I was hoping the squir- might follow Megan to the next frame. :(

ZoomanSP (thrown by lmjb1964) wrote:Long-time lurker, first-time poster (hey, I haven't read that in a while!). After waiting for It in five different countries in three different timezones, and reading almost everything on the OTT, I finally decided to join just to say: Y'all are an amazingly creative, funny and handsome bunch of people, and waiting for It on the OTC is much more fun when following the OTT at the same time. Thanks a lot and keep on waiting!
The river is small!

Oh, and since it's my birthday today, here is some cake for all of you:

Spoiler:
CAKE
Sorry, I can't post images yet. But be assured, the cake is 4

Haha. But what is 4 again? What kind of cake is this? Eh, anyways, happy b.day!

BlitzGirl wrote:And also, this thread is repetitive, as I learned on my Quest.
But you must know that being repetitive is our job. Our job, here, is to be repetitive. Here on the OTT its our job to be repetitive. Our job: repetitiveness. I thought you movie folk would know that. *tease* The Simpsons did it first.

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon May 27, 2013 10:37 am UTC

Ah sweet Time thread, you have taught me many things and I thank you heartily.
What a wonderful collection of clever and creative folks! And flame-free for 717 pages - an amazing accomplishment!

I'm sorry, I can't do the tarot cards I said I would. I've got some Outside sand castles I want to build, and I'm not quick enough or focussed enough to do both.

I wish you heaps of fun! You are an incredible lot!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon May 27, 2013 10:47 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Welcome, Zooman, and thanks for the cake! The sea is big!

You're welcome!

azule wrote:Haha. But what is 4 again? What kind of cake is this? Eh, anyways, happy b.day!

Thank you! It was my 100000. birthday, so I thought that's a good moment to join the OTT. And I'm following mscha's default footnotes, so the cake is 4: neat.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Swein

Postby Swein » Mon May 27, 2013 11:01 am UTC

Closing in on preyONG..

[edit] Grapes in a bag .... I tried that once .... Messy!
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Mon May 27, 2013 11:07 am UTC

This is what happens when you go away from the Time thread:

~80 pages need to be read now.

Ack! *goes to read*
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Mon May 27, 2013 11:23 am UTC

Swein wrote:Grapes in a bag .... I tried that once .... Messy!

Me too, except banana. Interesting fact: if you put a ripe banana in a thin fabric bag, with your wallet and keys and other important stuff, and take it into a moshpit for an hour, then... well, don't do that.

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Mon May 27, 2013 11:31 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:Me too, except banana. Interesting fact: if you put a ripe banana in a thin fabric bag, with your wallet and keys and other important stuff, and take it into a moshpit for an hour, then... well, don't do that.

And Time Flies like a Bananait really is all connected :roll:
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

Swein

Postby Swein » Mon May 27, 2013 11:39 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:

Me too, except banana. Interesting fact: if you put a ripe banana in a thin fabric bag, with your wallet and keys and other important stuff, and take it into a moshpit for an hour, then... well, don't do that.

Done that too, except coat instead of bag! :oops: A banana could be nice as a snack. But you forget your snack and hang the coat in for the summer. In the autumn you find your pocket turned into a something made of seamencoffecancerbabies or the like. bleah!

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Mon May 27, 2013 11:52 am UTC

Dear Future,

If you're still discussing Blitzers and Blitz-signposting, please stop it.

Some of your 'advice' feels very discouraging. I don't want to have to hear it so often over and over again. It it totally up to me how I post and signpost, when and if I want to. But some of this advice feels like being bludgeoned by non-approve-ment in the face until you're about as large as an ant, just because you want to do things differently to others.

I hope this message is irrelevant as you've stopped already, but just in case.

All the best,

Minim.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon May 27, 2013 11:56 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:If that weren't a wild squirpy-squirrel, I'd want Megan to adopt it and take it along with her on the journey. So cute!
Spoiler:

But judging from its reactions to Megan, it's not a tame squirpy...

Well, it isn't her tame squirpy anyway.
k.bookbinder wrote:One bathroom per resident!? My cats do not have their own litter box, never mind their own bathroom. They have learned to share two between the four of them and they shall continue to do so. Please do not give them such ideas as their own bathroom, thank you.

I belong to dogs, not cats, but I'm pretty sure the recommendation is for number of litter boxes to be number of cats plus one.
In any case, I believe the original thing was one bathroom per human resident. Which, oddly, seems both normal and excessive to me.
xpatiate wrote:

Is there any way at all that taking a ripe banana into a moshpit could end well?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon May 27, 2013 12:04 pm UTC

Newpix seem a bit late. Rip in the fabric of Time?
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon May 27, 2013 12:06 pm UTC

Late-ONG
Image Time to eat.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Mon May 27, 2013 12:17 pm UTC

Wow! An expert birder just in Time! Only in retrospect, of course.
waveney wrote:
Spoiler:
Time to de-lurk.
As a birder, I think it is a bird of prey - perhap a vulture or kestrel. It is not a small bird, from its wing shape it spends a lot of time flying, and is not a gull. From the first frame I thought it might be a swift, but definately not in the second frame. I think vulture is most likely in the desert.
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon May 27, 2013 12:20 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:FlameFree.png

Do you mind me making that my avatar?

Anyone else read "Flame Free," and immediately start humming Stone Free?

Could be a competitor for BdYd as the Official Thread Song if someone comes up w/ some new lyrics.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”