1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Ebonite

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Ebonite » Fri May 10, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
airdrik wrote:
Ebonite wrote:
Spoiler:
FullOfIt wrote:
KarMann wrote:MONSOONGg!!

My take is that she's commenting on the smoothness of the surface, that there must be an abundance of surface-smoothing wind up there. You know, the kind that smooths surfaces. (I started writing this quite serious-like, but it quickly degenerated into my usual nonsense...)

Maybe she's saying "windier" with a long i sound1 -- as in "this long and winding road is becoming an even longer and windier road".

No, I don't actually believe that. I just thought this discussion could use a little chaos. :D

1 for the first i, not the second i. The second i would be just plain weird.

a little chaos as differing from the big chaos that already exists?

At some point, mathematically, all this chaos has to start looking like order. Isn't that the entire basis of Chaos theory?

The OTT is like fractals. When you zoom in closer, you just see finer grains of chaos.
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri May 10, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote: radio talk-show blowhards like <insert hated radio extremist of your personal choice here>.

Should I be worried that I read that as hatted radio extremist?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Fri May 10, 2013 3:06 pm UTC

Kevin Phillips BONG (Slightly Silly Party)

If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 10, 2013 3:11 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
StratPlayer wrote: radio talk-show blowhards like <insert hated radio extremist of your personal choice here>.

It would be confusing, if nothing else, because buffygirl only deems nice people as hat-worthy, and most extremists (regardless of which end of the political spectrum) tend not to be so nice -- I doubt if buffygirl would agree to their hatting...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 10, 2013 3:13 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
SBN wrote:

It would be confusing, if nothing else, because buffygirl only deems nice people as hat-worthy, and most extremists (regardless of which end of the political spectrum) tend not to be so nice -- I doubt if buffygirl would agree to their hatting...

Well, there was an evil hat at one point. even possessed Buffygirl. It seems likely such a hat would find it's way to extremist Radio Personalities.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Fri May 10, 2013 3:14 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:Kevin Phillips BONG (Slightly Silly Party)

Yeah, I'm starting to lean towards dunes now too. *losing balance*

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 10, 2013 3:15 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
mscha wrote:
Valarya wrote:I'm not in on the whole sand dune thing. It makes perfect sense that they traveled from a beach to a river, and followed the river far inland. But how on earth could they be at a desert so soon? They haven't even stopped to sleep or eat since they were at the river. :P

Spoiler:

Excellent rebuttal mscha. And we must always remember, the Creator of Time created Time and is not bound by rules that may exist outside of Time. If He wants a river through the dunes (if that what they be) then a river shall flow through the dunes of Time.

...dunes of Time. Huh. They are crossing the Sands of Time...

Maybe this is like one of those D&D campaigns where the DM is a 14-year-old kid who knows nothing of geography.

You know, this does feel kinda like a ridiculous, railroaded campaign by someone who's a rookie DM. No encounters to fight through, no loot, no XP, and a back-story that is very difficult to follow...
Last edited by StratPlayer on Fri May 10, 2013 3:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

foilman

Postby foilman » Fri May 10, 2013 3:15 pm UTC

Nearly at the top, all downhill from there... or bigger hills to come?

fatness

Postby fatness » Fri May 10, 2013 3:16 pm UTC

foilman wrote:Nearly at the top, all downhill from there... or bigger hills to come?

Or a cliff.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 10, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

fatness wrote:
foilman wrote:Nearly at the top, all downhill from there... or bigger hills to come?

Or a cliff.

Like this?

Spoiler:

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 10, 2013 3:21 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Ebonite wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
mscha wrote:
Valarya wrote:I'm not in on the whole sand dune thing. It makes perfect sense that they traveled from a beach to a river, and followed the river far inland. But how on earth could they be at a desert so soon? They haven't even stopped to sleep or eat since they were at the river. :P

Spoiler:

Excellent rebuttal mscha. And we must always remember, the Creator of Time created Time and is not bound by rules that may exist outside of Time. If He wants a river through the dunes (if that what they be) then a river shall flow through the dunes of Time.

Maybe this is like one of those D&D campaigns where the DM is a 14-year-old kid who knows nothing of geography.

You know, this does feel kinda like a ridiculous, railroaded campaign by someone who's a rookie DM. No encounters to fight through, no loot, no XP, and a back-story that is very difficult to follow...

please. a Rookie Gm would have had a TPK by now.
“have i gone mad?

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 10, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Ebonite wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
mscha wrote:

Spoiler:

please. a Rookie Gm would have had a TPK by now.

It's still entirely possible. At any newpix we might get "Rocks fall! Everybody dies!"

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Fri May 10, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:By the way: Buffygirl, do you accept implorations for being hatted, again? *shift uncomfortably*

Did you ask previously? I apologize, I failed to add you to the mob. You are now added.

No, I didn't. :-) Good work takes time, exceptional work even more.

Eliram wrote:[...]
Have a look at google maps, the dead sea area has plenty of nice photos showing the sandy beach, where sandcastles may still be if LaPetite didn't climb on them for the flags yet.
There are some salty bumps and plates
The area is notorious for sudden floods, which can be very dangerous for people and cars.
Plenty or roads and people there, though, which might be a little odd in the context of the OTC.
There is a border nearby, although it's peaceful and people can travel there safely.
As the lowest point on earth (that's not covered with water), all roads lead up.

Up ahead: More vegetation.
The sea of Galilee (fresh water) is far, but people do hike that road over several days from time to time. It's usually hot there, though. They should drink even more. :-)

Now I'm infected with serious longing....
My mother travelled there, years ago (later, Syria too, the times were more peaceful then, but one needed two passports, anyway), she still goes into rhapsodies about the Dead Sea and the sea of Galilee and the people living there.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Fri May 10, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

Selcouth wrote:
mscha wrote:PELTMONGERS...
Spoiler:

-- posted by newpixbot

....what's a peltmonger

peltmonger

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 10, 2013 3:31 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
fatness wrote:

Or a cliff.

Like this?

Spoiler:

NORM!
“have i gone mad?

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 10, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:
Selcouth wrote:
Spoiler:

-- posted by newpixbot

....what's a peltmonger

peltmonger

Hmmm.. Well, let's see then -- a "Peltmonger" would be someone who keeps trying to start or stir up something related to PELT, which is the Peruvian project called the "Proyecto Especial del Lago Titicaca" (Lake Titicaca Special Project, PELT), which is about managing water issues related to Lake Titicaca, which includes both water concerns AND Lake Titicaca, which I've referenced several times in this thread, so that can only mean one thing...

*nods head knowingly*

See? It's ALL related...

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 10, 2013 3:40 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:
Selcouth wrote:
Spoiler:

-- posted by newpixbot

....what's a peltmonger

peltmonger

Hmmm.. Well, let's see then -- a "Peltmonger" would be someone who keeps trying to start or stir up something related to PELT, which is the Peruvian project called the "Proyecto Especial del Lago Titicaca" (Lake Titicaca Special Project, PELT), which is about managing water issues related to Lake Titicaca, which includes both water concerns AND Lake Titicaca, which I've referenced several times in this thread, so that can only mean one thing...

*nods head knowingly*

See? It's ALL related...

I was under the impression that a pelmonger was someone who sold pelts. I suppose I could sell you some prime land by Lake Titicaca...It's be land at the bottom of it, but still...
“have i gone mad?

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri May 10, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
mscha wrote:

Spoiler:

A river flowing through sand dunes isn't entirely unprecedented. The Colorado river cuts right through the dunes near Yuma, AZ. Or, rather, did before they put in the desalination plant. Now it's more of a canal. It's also not that far from the "sea" (gulf of California is about 60 miles from Yuma).

htom

Postby htom » Fri May 10, 2013 3:46 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
fatness wrote:

Or a cliff.

Like this?

Spoiler:

:snort: Actually, the hills are reminding me of some of those old-time reclining ASCII art renditions.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

iisjreg

Postby iisjreg » Fri May 10, 2013 3:48 pm UTC

Spoiler:

HOW HAS THIS NOT BEEN DONE ALREADY!?

This is my nomination for the combined Python-Ong Award. :mrgreen:

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri May 10, 2013 3:50 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Ebonite wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
mscha wrote:

Spoiler:

And way-up-in-the-hills-by-the-river-and-cliffs sand dunes (desert), but not beach sand dunes. :?

slinches wrote:A river flowing through sand dunes isn't entirely unprecedented. The Colorado river cuts right through the dunes near Yuma, AZ. Or, rather, did before they put in the desalination plant. Now it's more of a canal. It's also not that far from the "sea" (gulf of California is about 60 miles from Yuma).

FINE FINE I GIVE. Even though it hurts my brain.
Last edited by Valarya on Fri May 10, 2013 3:53 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Fri May 10, 2013 3:50 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Popular posts now shown on theindividual user pages.

Couple of quick notes:

1) The quote linking is done using a fuzzy logic match between the text of the quote and the original post text. It's not perfect, so a few quote links are incorrect.

Brilliant. Thank you. Combining expertise with creativity. Again, brilliant and thank you.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

fatness

Postby fatness » Fri May 10, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:Brilliant. Thank you. Combining expertise with creativity. Again, brilliant and thank you.

That's what my wife told me last night. :D

* rimshot *
* cymbal crash *

Please tip your timewaiter.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 10, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

Sweet, I am up to #13 on the list!

http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/Credits
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 10, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

CACHOLONGS...

-- posted by newpixbot

Edit: yes, this is the same as the old newpix. Different hash; same pixels, in fact, same file.
Horrible timing, this happening while the forum servers are immensely slow.
Any spies and/or minions of our Lord Randall present to inform Him of his fallibility?
Last edited by mscha on Fri May 10, 2013 4:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri May 10, 2013 4:33 pm UTC

Newpixbot didn't post it until [heresy]19 minutes[/heresy] after the gong?
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 10, 2013 4:34 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Newpixbot didn't post it until [heresy]19 minutes[/heresy] after the gong?

Yeah, forums weren't responding, as you might have noticed. (Unless it was a geographic issue (e.g. routing).)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 10, 2013 4:35 pm UTC

mscha wrote:CACHOLONGS...
Spoiler:

-- posted by newpixbot

Edit: yes, this is the same as the old newpix. Different hash; same pixels, in fact, same file.

I also went and checked to see if the OTC hadn't updated and saw that the filenames had changed. So all I can say is ?????? Was this intended? Why? An odd shot to repeat -- they're mid-stride and have been making significant changes previously. Or was this a glitch on the OTC end? Did a duplicate image get hashed twice to separate file names???

Very odd...

But at least the fora servers seems restored.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 10, 2013 4:38 pm UTC

wow, I just had 20min of not being able to access the OTT D: Most terrifying 20min of my life!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 10, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:CACHOLONGS...

-- posted by newpixbot

I also went and checked to see if the OTC hadn't updated and saw that the filenames had changed. So all I can say is ?????? Was this intended? Why? An odd shot to repeat -- they're mid-stride and have been making significant changes previously. Or was this a glitch on the OTC end? Did a duplicate image get hashed twice to separate file names???
Very odd...

Almost certainly not intended. (Unless you believe in the infallibility of our OTL Randall, then it by definition is.)

StratPlayer wrote:But at least the fora servers seems restored.

Yep, whew...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

bighaben

Postby bighaben » Fri May 10, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

ohh, my first quibble in the flow of time. Interesting....

I doubt Lord Randall intended for a duplication of this image. Just angers me as I'm eagerly awaiting Cueball to slip and slide down the dune (if that is in fact what it is).

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 10, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

Servers wrote:No server is available to handle this request.

The servers are tying to keep me quiet! I must know something that HAL and his computer kin don't want me to tell the rest of you!

Now, if I could only figure out what it is that I must know...
“have i gone mad?

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Fri May 10, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

Climbing a sand dune can be like that; the sand slides under your feet and you walk in place for a while. It could be several newpix before they notice!

(More likely it's some kind of glitch. But still, I was doubting they were really on sand dunes because strolling over the tops of bare dunes usually does involve some slipping or sinking, and there was no sign of them doing that.)
Time after Time...

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 10, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

THISONGISOK

Edit: just an accidental duplication by our Fallible Lord. On this one, they're where you'd expect them to be a newpix ago.
Last edited by mscha on Fri May 10, 2013 5:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Fri May 10, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

Maybe it was a Lot's-wife-pillar-of-salt kind of thing.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 10, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:Maybe it was a Lot's-wife-pillar-of-salt kind of thing.

Don't turn around, Megan! DONT turn around! If anyone has to, Cueball is expendable!
“have i gone mad?

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Fri May 10, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

iisjreg wrote:

Spoiler:

HOW HAS THIS NOT BEEN DONE ALREADY!?

This is my nomination for the combined Python-Ong Award. :mrgreen:

You mean the PythONG Award?

I wasn't sure whether it had been done already or not (though I was pretty sure I hadn't seen it if it had been). Is there a list somewhere of all the ONGs used so far?
Time after Time...

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri May 10, 2013 5:08 pm UTC

[blindposting]

About 6 pages in the Past, also failed to post thoughts after my mini-blitz last night because I hadn't yet gotten to that Time's present ... so I'm just gonna jot a few things here and then blitz-on.

The Flat Place:
I was thinking it looks paved. It's not just flat, it's SMOOTH, with no debris or gravel or bits of sand semenatedcoffeesnow or anything. And it must be deliberate, because GLR has gone to quite an effort to add texture to everything prior to this.

ggh wrote:ETA: Ooh - 69 posts! A multiple of 23 - woot!

Sixty-Nine, Dude! heh... heh heh....

Rule110 wrote:Image

WOW! This is fabulous! Made me GOL (guffaw out loud).

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 10, 2013 5:12 pm UTC

mscha wrote:THISONGISOK
Spoiler:

Edit: just an accidental duplication by our Fallible Lord. On this one, they're where you'd expect them to be a newpix ago.

Heresy!!! Of course it was intended! The GLR MUST have had some divine purpose for repeating the same image at precisely that Newpix. There may be special meaning in the fact that Megan and Cueball are about to crest the hill.

Just because our imperfect human reasoning cannot grasp the purpose does not mean it was unintended or accidental. Regrettably, I lack the enlightenment necessary to fully understand the divine purpose behind why the GLR chose this moment in Time for a duplication, but since it clearly cannot be accidental, the only hypothesis my meager mind can manage is...

Spoiler:
Lord Randall is fucking with us once again.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 10, 2013 5:33 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
mscha wrote:Edit: just an accidental duplication by our Fallible Lord. On this one, they're where you'd expect them to be a newpix ago.

Heresy!!! Of course it was intended! The GLR MUST have had some divine purpose for repeating the same image at precisely that Newpix. There may be special meaning in the fact that Megan and Cueball are about to crest the hill.

OK, bring on the chocolate...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”