1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
yappobiscuits
Posts: 2847
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:41 am UTC
Location: The Sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed May 22, 2013 12:19 am UTC

ttscp wrote:
Spoiler:
Image


That one looks like an explosion from a confetti cannon trebuchet :D </important scientific analysis of data>
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Wed May 22, 2013 12:22 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT
Image

User avatar
Opiboble
It's Machine Code.
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 pm UTC
Location: Alaska, were the outside is always calling...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 22, 2013 12:21 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
ttscp wrote:
Spoiler:
Image


That one looks like an explosion from a confetti cannon :D </important scientific analysis of data>

I think you mean confetti trebuchet.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

User avatar
yappobiscuits
Posts: 2847
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:41 am UTC
Location: The Sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed May 22, 2013 12:22 am UTC

Opiboble wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
ttscp wrote:
Spoiler:
Image


That one looks like an explosion from a confetti cannon :D </important scientific analysis of data>

I think you mean confetti trebuchet.

Of course. Edited!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT
Image

User avatar
Opiboble
It's Machine Code.
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 pm UTC
Location: Alaska, were the outside is always calling...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 22, 2013 12:23 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
ttscp wrote:
Spoiler:
Image


That one looks like an explosion from a confetti cannon :D </important scientific analysis of data>

I think you mean confetti trebuchet.

Of course. Edited!

Good otter : )
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

User avatar
ergman
Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:24 am UTC
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ergman » Wed May 22, 2013 12:28 am UTC

These giant trees have lots of people thinking Cuegan are in Africa, which could well be true, but I have a feeling they aren't actually anywhere in particular, and GLR, in his holy whimsy, drew meowcows(or whatever these things are called) as the large trees he needed.
The majority of othercomics by GLR don't take place anywhere specific in the real world, and some are downright surrealist.
methinks that's what's happening here.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

User avatar
jjjdavidson
Posts: 652
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:40 pm UTC
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed May 22, 2013 12:28 am UTC

Blind-posting because I'm still pages behind but I keep seeing people worrying about the tornado warning I mentioned. So to forestall any unnecessary drama, nothing happened here. All we had here was perfectly normal thunderstorms, with a few downed limbs and the like, though there were reports of a small funnel on the ground about twenty miles southwest, across the state line. We were the lucky ones.

Yesterday afternoon when we heard that bad weather was moving in, I jokingly suggested the girls (13 and 16) might want to watch Twister; to my surprise, they leapt on the idea. I should have known.

So we watched Twister, as the weather outside got darker and windier, and the girls got more and more wound up. Halfway through the closing credits, my wife came in, stopped the movie, and started changing channels─and we heard the damn sirens outside.

The girls spent the next hour and a half watching weather reports and radar images; it was somewhere in there that I posted about being "a little distracted." It wasn't until after they'd gone to bed that we heard the news about Moore, Oklahoma (about three hours west of us). I kind of lost interest in the OTT for a while after that.

This morning I arrived at work and discovered that our office had apparently taken a lightning strike. Power was scrambled (outlets were live, but not a single UPS in the place could get power), at least two surge protectors were oh-hell-the-smoke-got-out* trashed, and our network was down most of the day. An Oklahoma Gas & Electric crew had to come out and climb poles in the rain outside our building to get our power straightened out. So I didn't get back on here until after I got home.

And by the way: After OG&E got our power back on, one of the linemen said they had one or two other small jobs in town, then his whole crew was going to Moore, for however long it took. If you know anyone who does this sort of work for a living─shake their hand, buy them a beer, support their favorite charities. These guys are heroes up there with cops and firemen.

* Electrical components run on smoke. When the smoke gets out, the components stop working.

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Wed May 22, 2013 12:38 am UTC

Question:
I am happy to post a lighthouse in my sig re: NP124, but ... what is the image being referenced?

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2236
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Wed May 22, 2013 12:39 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:And by the way: After OG&E got our power back on, one of the linemen said they had one or two other small jobs in town, then his whole crew was going to Moore, for however long it took. If you know anyone who does this sort of work for a living─shake their hand, buy them a beer, support their favorite charities. These guys are heroes up there with cops and firemen.

Indeed. School teachers also. And thanks for letting us know you and yours are ok.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

User avatar
Platonix
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Platonix » Wed May 22, 2013 12:46 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:Question:
I am happy to post a lighthouse in my sig re: NP124, but ... what is the image being referenced?

People thought they were posting the current frame at the time, when in fact they were posting the current frame, in such a way that it would update every time the OTC does. Thus, those postings of frames are spoilers to those Blitzing who do not yet know the later events of the OTC.
"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

User avatar
fhorn
Posts: 422
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby fhorn » Wed May 22, 2013 12:46 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Blind-posting because I'm still pages behind but I keep seeing people worrying about the tornado warning I mentioned. So to forestall any unnecessary drama, nothing happened here. All we had here was perfectly normal thunderstorms, with a few downed limbs and the like, though there were reports of a small funnel on the ground about twenty miles southwest, across the state line. We were the lucky ones.


jjj - glad you and your family are ok. Good call, too, on the workerpeople. When Sandy hit, crews came from all over the country. Really a special group of people.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

User avatar
Valarya
Posts: 975
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 pm UTC
Location: Nashville

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Valarya » Wed May 22, 2013 12:53 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Blind-posting because I'm still pages behind but I keep seeing people worrying about the tornado warning I mentioned. So to forestall any unnecessary drama, nothing happened here.


Glad to hear that, jjj!

yappobiscuits wrote:The Game of Thrones one was indeed a highlight... if you're a book reader which I guess you are, I'm sure you're super anxious for next week for spoilery reasons I won't mention but I'm sure you know what I mean...


Other than the scene w/ Dany in Astapor, I've been waiting for the next bits for a very long time. I have a co-worker who started reading the books a few weeks ago, and today he actually read the chapter of which you speak. Seeing his face was priceless; I can't wait to see the internet reactions.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Image

User avatar
ttscp
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:05 pm UTC
Location: Lost In Thought - Send Search Party

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ttscp » Wed May 22, 2013 12:55 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
ttscp wrote:
Spoiler:
Image


That one looks like an explosion from a confetti cannon trebuchet :D </important scientific analysis of data>

Best scientific analysis I've heard yet, and very relevant to the OTT.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2236
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Wed May 22, 2013 1:00 am UTC

Platonix wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Question:
I am happy to post a lighthouse in my sig re: NP124, but ... what is the image being referenced?

People thought they were posting the current frame at the time, when in fact they were posting the current frame, in such a way that it would update every time the OTC does. Thus, those postings of frames are spoilers to those Blitzing who do not yet know the later events of the OTC.

Actually, NP 124 is safe now. Not sure where the other problems were, but I PM'd yangosplat and the post has been edited.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

User avatar
Vytron
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am UTC
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Vytron » Wed May 22, 2013 1:00 am UTC

NOMOREVIRGINONG!

Image

*Steps out of time vortex*

I did it! I'm now in the present!

I woke up today with an urge to read the present, heh, it must have been the baobabs calling for me!

So I found a shortcut in page 625 that had a shortcut to page 670 and I took it, skipping 45 pages of content... but, I had a crazy idea! Since I have a time machine, I can always go back to the past and read it at any point, these 45 pages will always been there waiting for me!

Reading content that was posted 12 hours ago and then on the same hour as I was reading felt really odd for some reason, which is kind of wrong, I think I should have done this long time ago :mrgreen: but I think my joining to the present coinciding with the baobabs was cool 8-)

Thanks everyone for waiting for it with me! I truly appreciate all your efforts for making this thread as awesome as it is!
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

Your ad here. No, seriously! It's free! PM me if interested.
THANKS KARHELL!! :)

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 22, 2013 1:02 am UTC

Vytron wrote:<snip>

*Steps out of time vortex*

I did it! I'm now in the present!

I woke up today with an urge to read the present, heh, it must have been the baobabs calling for me!

So I found a shortcut in page 625 that had a shortcut to page 670 and I took it, skipping 45 pages of content... but, I had a crazy idea! Since I have a time machine, I can always go back to the past and read it at any point, these 45 pages will always been there waiting for me!

Reading content that was posted 12 hours ago and then on the same hour as I was reading felt really odd for some reason, which is kind of wrong, I think I should have done this long time ago :mrgreen: but I think my joining to the present coinciding with the baobabs was cool 8-)

Thanks everyone for waiting for it with me! I truly appreciate all your efforts for making this thread as awesome as it is!

Welcome to the present, Vytron! And don't worry, my 'pages skipped' total is probably higher than yours, and I'm doing well enough in the present.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
yappobiscuits
Posts: 2847
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:41 am UTC
Location: The Sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed May 22, 2013 1:07 am UTC

:D WELCOME VYTRON! I must give you a present present... Let's see now, we've had cupcakes, sorbet... have some crumpets!
Image
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT
Image

User avatar
pelrigg
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby pelrigg » Wed May 22, 2013 1:09 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Blind-posting because I'm still pages behind but I keep seeing people worrying about the tornado warning I mentioned. So to forestall any unnecessary drama, nothing happened here. All we had here was perfectly normal thunderstorms, with a few downed limbs and the like, though there were reports of a small funnel on the ground about twenty miles southwest, across the state line. We were the lucky ones.
>snip<
And by the way: After OG&E got our power back on, one of the linemen said they had one or two other small jobs in town, then his whole crew was going to Moore, for however long it took. If you know anyone who does this sort of work for a living─shake their hand, buy them a beer, support their favorite charities. These guys are heroes up there with cops and firemen.

Good to hear you're okay. Ma Nature can sure let us know who's really in charge, even if it's "just" a "normal" t-storm.
And it's great to how power company people will go to help in places that are overwhelmed like Moore. (A couple winters ago an ice storm took out power in huge areas around here {Ft Wayne, IN} and power companies from all over came to help. [No power for 3-5 days while temps were below freezing]) So, yeah, thank them.
Oh, and other first-responders like para-medics and ambulance workers.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

User avatar
fhorn
Posts: 422
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby fhorn » Wed May 22, 2013 1:14 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote::D WELCOME VYTRON! I must give you a present present... Let's see now, we've had cupcakes, sorbet... have some crumpets!
Image


English muffins!!!
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

User avatar
k.bookbinder
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed May 22, 2013 1:16 am UTC

Pun Gent1 wrote:
Spoiler:
Sorry to act the Noob here, but has it ever been mentioned if this whole shebang might be available as a continuous slide show at some point in the future? Maybe as an animated Gif? Is there any endgame for this wonderful diversion (not that I'm looking forward to an ending), but I was curious if there was one mentioned previously. Has anyone collected outside this forum all of the pics on a single page to view? I didn't realize until now that it was being updated every 1/2 hour, and while I checked back on it daily I know I'm missing quite a bit of it.

Thanks!

'Drew


Hello neophyte! Welcome. Truly, you are new to the OTT. Here are some helpful links:

Kieryn's Time Dedication site. Incredibly helpful
The Time Map. Interactive and canonical.
Time Lapse of Time. Aubron's Site.
Time Wiki.
Each individual frame

TimeLurker wrote:
Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:Speculating upon the end of Time is a OTT honored tradition, and so is not heretical.

Oh thank Randall I am safe.....for now
.


But if you feel you have sinned you may request to be punished in the comfy chair and be pelted with day old M&Ms. Share and enjoy.

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
akacat wrote:
Pun Gent1 wrote:Sorry to act the Noob here, but has it ever been mentioned if this whole shebang might be available as a continuous slide show at some point in the future? Maybe as an animated Gif? Is there any endgame for this wonderful diversion (not that I'm looking forward to an ending), but I was curious if there was one mentioned previously. Has anyone collected outside this forum all of the pics on a single page to view? I didn't realize until now that it was being updated every 1/2 hour, and while I checked back on it daily I know I'm missing quite a bit of it.

Thanks!

'Drew


Don't mind me, I'm just transporting a firstpost into the present. I'll leave it to others to answer the query, as I don't have any of the gif/slideshow options bookmarked.


Welcome, Pun Gent1! THE WIKI is always a great place to start. On the "Useful External Links" page, there are links to The Geekwagon Animation, Aubron Wood's Animation, and mscha's site which has all the frames and gives a pop-up mouse-over display. The Wiki also has some other useful and entertaining links and info also.


Glad you picked this up dear sir. I had hoped our new devotee would not be lost amongst our strange revelry.

Rule110 wrote:
Spoiler:
My hobby: jumping on bandwagons long after they've been ditched by the side of the road and stripped for parts. So, here's my first-ever OTC song.

The Sandcastles High (Part 1)

A long long Time ago
I can still remember
How those castles used to make me smile
And I knew if they had their chance
That they could meet that girl from France
And maybe they'd go swimming for a while
But crumbling dikes were looking dire
With every frame the sea rose higher
No time for more black flags
So they both packed their back-bags
And I do remember doubt and fright
When I saw the castles fade from sight
I knew something wasn't right
The day the scene turned white

So bye bye to the sandcastles high
Gonna travel to unravel why the water's awry
The sea is rising but the river is dry
And it's time we go to figure out why
Time we go to figure out way

[up-tempo]
Now, for so long they sat by the sea
Chillin' in each other's company
Seemed they had nothing to do
But when Megan started piling sand
And then Cueball turned and lent a hand
We all saw how they were on to something new
Soon a castle stood there by the bay
"Later," Cueball said, and he walked away
Megan still in the zone
Kept working all alone
When Cueball came back, they built some more
The view pulled back to show next door
All of this happened long before
The day the scene turned white
They'd be singing...

(chorus)

Next they planted flags, then went for a dip
But an accidental salty sip
Had Megan feeling some regret
Cueball built more, like he had a plan
And shaped an airy center span
But then Megan showed up with a trebuchet
When the dust cleared they built anew
The biggest tower yet soon grew
Sand piled wide and tall
Where Megan took a fall
Then Cueball added new decor:
The castle in miniature
They still had lots of Time before
The day the scene turned white
When they'd be singing...

(chorus)

Now the sea does what it wants to do
But the rising tide was something new
Megan didn't understand
Said they can't heap sand higher than that
So with poles and beams and planks and slats
They raised up a lofty platform in the sand
Megan used ropes to try to rise
But gravity ruled otherwise
Still they built way up there
Fine castles in the air
They said, we love our neat display
But we think it's going to go away
There was no way they could delay
The day the scene turned white
We were singing...

(chorus)

[slower tempo]
Met La Petite during Megan's snooze
And we thought she might bring happy news
But she just smiled and turned away
When the water made the tower tip
The pair packed up to take their trip
And Megan said "bye" on that fateful day
And as the black turned into gray
La Petite returned but she didn't stay
The castles lonely standing
The ocean still expanding
And just as the last gray disappeared
La Petite came back, with something weird
It was the end of Time, we feared
The day the scene turned white
They were singing...

Bye bye to our sandcastles high
Gonna travel to unravel why the water's awry
The sea is rising but our river is dry
And it's time we go to figure out why
Time we go to figure out way
(Even though it's only one stanza shorter than the original lengthy song, this only covers half of Time so far. There will eventually be a Part 2. Wait for it.)


Fantastic! I shall be singing this chores over and over. Brilliant!

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
thirds wrote:If this was supposed to be a hint of where they are, it was not at all subtle.


I'm not 100% convinced that it really establishes location. Just because baobabs are native to Madagascar doesn't necessarily mean that the OTC is in Madagascar. Perhaps Cuegan are simply somewhere which happens to have baobabs which are not indigenous. After all, the swallow may fly south with the sun, or the house martin, or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land.


Excellent point. Insightful as always, Stratplayer.

astrocub wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:
thirds wrote:If this was supposed to be a hint of where they are, it was not at all subtle.


I'm not 100% convinced that it really establishes location. Just because baobabs are native to Madagascar doesn't necessarily mean that the OTC is in Madagascar. Perhaps Cuegan are simply somewhere which happens to have baobabs which are not indigenous. After all, the swallow may fly south with the sun, or the house martin, or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land.


So these might be migratory baobabs. We've already seen an entire flower pop up in under the timespan of a newpix, maybe in this world trees can globe-trot.


Ents?

azule wrote:
Spoiler:
Panorama Lost... From what I could see, there is an eyeline to the trees at most points. I would say this would then "prove" that the atmosphere is thick, maybe with smog/ozone/sciency-stuff. But right next to the mound it might be a little more difficult to see the tree.


Climbing uphill, perhaps they were too tired to look up and were concentrating on looking at the ground, keeping one foot in front of the other?

jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:
Blind-posting because I'm still pages behind but I keep seeing people worrying about the tornado warning I mentioned. So to forestall any unnecessary drama, nothing happened here. All we had here was perfectly normal thunderstorms, with a few downed limbs and the like, though there were reports of a small funnel on the ground about twenty miles southwest, across the state line. We were the lucky ones.

Yesterday afternoon when we heard that bad weather was moving in, I jokingly suggested the girls (13 and 16) might want to watch Twister; to my surprise, they leapt on the idea. I should have known.

So we watched Twister, as the weather outside got darker and windier, and the girls got more and more wound up. Halfway through the closing credits, my wife came in, stopped the movie, and started changing channels─and we heard the damn sirens outside.

The girls spent the next hour and a half watching weather reports and radar images; it was somewhere in there that I posted about being "a little distracted." It wasn't until after they'd gone to bed that we heard the news about Moore, Oklahoma (about three hours west of us). I kind of lost interest in the OTT for a while after that.

This morning I arrived at work and discovered that our office had apparently taken a lightning strike. Power was scrambled (outlets were live, but not a single UPS in the place could get power), at least two surge protectors were oh-hell-the-smoke-got-out* trashed, and our network was down most of the day. An Oklahoma Gas & Electric crew had to come out and climb poles in the rain outside our building to get our power straightened out. So I didn't get back on here until after I got home.

And by the way: After OG&E got our power back on, one of the linemen said they had one or two other small jobs in town, then his whole crew was going to Moore, for however long it took. If you know anyone who does this sort of work for a living─shake their hand, buy them a beer, support their favorite charities. These guys are heroes up there with cops and firemen.

* Electrical components run on smoke. When the smoke gets out, the components stop working.


So glad to hear that you and your family are safe!

Edit: And welcome back Edfel!
Last edited by k.bookbinder on Wed May 22, 2013 1:18 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

User avatar
yappobiscuits
Posts: 2847
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:41 am UTC
Location: The Sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed May 22, 2013 1:17 am UTC

@fhorn - Not English muffins! Funnily enough I got that pic from a site that explains the difference.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT
Image

User avatar
Vytron
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am UTC
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Vytron » Wed May 22, 2013 1:22 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Welcome to the present, Vytron! And don't worry, my 'pages skipped' total is probably higher than yours, and I'm doing well enough in the present.


Thanks! Yes, non-coincidentally, I read your story about skipping the whole fading to white at around page 620 :wink:

yappobiscuits wrote::D WELCOME VYTRON! I must give you a present present... Let's see now, we've had cupcakes, sorbet... have some crumpets!
Spoiler:
Image


Thanks for the present present! Mmmmm, yummy!

Also, whoa! The first time I experience Time like y'all! Instead of being able to scroll down to see the next frames on demand, now I have to... wait for it (finally it's clear: "it" refers to the next hour!)

I also was able to see about 12 TimeFrames every 5 minutes at top speed (when the thread slowed down), now... 1/hour...

But I'll also be able to speculate in real time, here it is, my first wrong prediction!:

Calling it: Megan will try to climb the baobab!
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

Your ad here. No, seriously! It's free! PM me if interested.
THANKS KARHELL!! :)

User avatar
fhorn
Posts: 422
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby fhorn » Wed May 22, 2013 1:25 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:@fhorn - Not English muffins! Funnily enough I got that pic from a site that explains the difference.


Funnily enough (or not-so-funnily), I was just trying to be funny. yeah, how's that working out for me?
I was so surprised in England the first time I ordered crumpets! They do taste very similar to our English muffins.
Also surprised to have Yorkshire pudding which is a dead ringer for popovers.

Here ends today's list of US/UK food comparison surprises. (though I did manage to restrain from chiming in on the whole lemonade/sprite discussion previously)

edited to mention my not mentioning drink comparisons
Last edited by fhorn on Wed May 22, 2013 1:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2339
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Wed May 22, 2013 1:27 am UTC

I present, for evaluation of the Time Waiters here present, The Last Time Waiter, Chapter 1: The Clock Ticks - take 2:
Spoiler:
The Order of the Time Waiters was deeply worried. Their numbers had been decreasing at an alarming rate, and soon there would be too few of them to perform all the work that had to be done. The leaders of the many sects of the Order had been convened to discuss the issue.

― As all of you should be aware of already, we are currently losing many of our members to Time, and our efforts to replenish our numbers have failed catastrophically.

Pope Helper was standing up at the head of the table. Being the first leader of the first sect, she was respected by most of the other leaders.

― As you said, Pope Helper, we are well aware of the issue. Do you have any solutions?

Arch-Cardinal buffygirl was responsible for the Buffydashery, which provided hats for all those who deserved it. Through in theory she was under direct command from the Pope, her power over the people would cause a problem for anyone trying to overpower her.

― Unfortunately, Arch-Cardinal, I do not have. However, I heard that the Archduchess here does.

Knight Temporal BlitzGirl, Archduchess of Time, BlitzGirl the First, Blitzrandir, et cetera, was an inspiration for every Time Waiter. Her Pilgrimage through the One True Thread encouraged many others to follow her steps, for she demonstrated it was possible.

― Is that true, BlitzGirl?
― Indeed it is, Arch-Cardinal buffygirl. I've been told that, near the Northern Lights, lives an Engineer, who has done many great and persistent things. I was wondering that maybe we could ask him to build us something capable of, in the long run, make sure Time is properly recorded and documented, even after we cease to exist.
― You mean, capable of replacing us. That is heresy!
― Have you finally hit the bottom of madness, BlitzGirl? Are you really suggesting replacing humans with a… a… machine?
― I understand your reluctance, brothers and sisters. For a long time I conflicted myself with these thoughts. But we must remember that no living being can resist to the effects of Time itself. If one is to fully document Time, one can not belong to the realm of the living.

Minutes of silence went by, until it was broken by the Arch-Cardinal.

― Very well. Unless someone has a better suggestion, I believe we must follow the Archduchess' plan.

And so the quest for the Northern Lights began.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
yappobiscuits
Posts: 2847
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:41 am UTC
Location: The Sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed May 22, 2013 1:41 am UTC

fhorn wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:@fhorn - Not English muffins! Funnily enough I got that pic from a site that explains the difference.


Funnily enough (or not-so-funnily), I was just trying to be funny. yeah, how's that working out for me?
I was so surprised in England the first time I ordered crumpets! They do taste very similar to our English muffins.
Also surprised to have Yorkshire pudding which is a dead ringer for popovers.

Here ends today's list of US/UK food comparison surprises. (though I did manage to restrain from chiming in on the whole lemonade/sprite discussion previously)

edited to mention my not mentioning drink comparisons

Ah sorry, I thought you genuinely didn't know and was just trying to be informative, didn't mean to start another US vs. UK what-we-call-things1 debate :oops:

1I'm sure there's a proper word for that but I couldn't remember it
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT
Image

User avatar
astrocub
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby astrocub » Wed May 22, 2013 1:44 am UTC

Vytron wrote:
Spoiler:
NOMOREVIRGINONG!

Image

*Steps out of time vortex*

I did it! I'm now in the present!

I woke up today with an urge to read the present, heh, it must have been the baobabs calling for me!


So I found a shortcut in page 625 that had a shortcut to page 670 and I took it, skipping 45 pages of content... but, I had a crazy idea! Since I have a time machine, I can always go back to the past and read it at any point, these 45 pages will always been there waiting for me!

Reading content that was posted 12 hours ago and then on the same hour as I was reading felt really odd for some reason, which is kind of wrong, I think I should have done this long time ago :mrgreen: but I think my joining to the present coinciding with the baobabs was cool 8-)

Thanks everyone for waiting for it with me! I truly appreciate all your efforts for making this thread as awesome as it is!


Conhatulations and welcome! But the past 45 pages you skipped have been the best so far ;)

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Wed May 22, 2013 1:46 am UTC

SBN wrote:
Platonix wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Question:
I am happy to post a lighthouse in my sig re: NP124, but ... what is the image being referenced?

People thought they were posting the current frame at the time, when in fact they were posting the current frame, in such a way that it would update every time the OTC does. Thus, those postings of frames are spoilers to those Blitzing who do not yet know the later events of the OTC.

Actually, NP 124 is safe now. Not sure where the other problems were, but I PM'd yangosplat and the post has been edited.
Ah, that would explain why I didn't see anything wrong!

User avatar
jetpac
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:28 pm UTC
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jetpac » Wed May 22, 2013 1:58 am UTC

astrocub wrote:
Vytron wrote:
Spoiler:
NOMOREVIRGINONG!

Image

*Steps out of time vortex*

I did it! I'm now in the present!

I woke up today with an urge to read the present, heh, it must have been the baobabs calling for me!


So I found a shortcut in page 625 that had a shortcut to page 670 and I took it, skipping 45 pages of content... but, I had a crazy idea! Since I have a time machine, I can always go back to the past and read it at any point, these 45 pages will always been there waiting for me!

Reading content that was posted 12 hours ago and then on the same hour as I was reading felt really odd for some reason, which is kind of wrong, I think I should have done this long time ago :mrgreen: but I think my joining to the present coinciding with the baobabs was cool 8-)

Thanks everyone for waiting for it with me! I truly appreciate all your efforts for making this thread as awesome as it is!


Conhatulations and welcome! But the past 45 pages you skipped have been the best so far ;)

I have to agree, those didactyl things were amazing. I've been trying the rest of the day to figure out a way to work velocirhapsodies into a sentence. No luck so far...

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6895
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Wed May 22, 2013 2:01 am UTC

I had hamburgers for dinner, without catsup. I was saving it for this.
  • azule - papal story
  • me, re. the trees
  • StratPlayer - AluzioASG's azule's three chapters
  • me, re. the trees again
  • ttscp - well, you know... Also the new graphs
  • buffygirl and SBN - lighthouses
  • Vytron - Welcome! (Official welcome coming soon to a theater near you!)
This list may not make my comments any more coherent, but at least you can play with opening and closing the spoiler! :)
Spoiler:
azule wrote:Finally caught up with the Papal story, ucim. It's turning out good. Please bring back the [quote/] tags, they helped me to focus. :)
Glad you're enjoying it. I use the quote tags when I am doing a screenplay or stage script format. When I am using a novel format, which concentrates on prose descriptions over dialog, I leave it the way a novelist might write it. Would it help if I put quotes in italics?

re: the trees: If the Cuegan are in fact occupying a 3D world, of which we see 2D slices, it may well be that they are turning left and right as they are traveling. The trees may have been hidden by other hills or vegetation that we didn't see because they curved around it rather than climbing it directly.

If they are 2D, perhaps their world is smaller and it's below the horizon.

Or, maybe they are not all that observant. :)

StratPlayer, referring to [s]AluisioASG's[/s] azule's three chapters, wrote:The one suggestion I would make is to write it as actual dialogue with attributing tags, and maybe some setup between the dialogue.
That works if it is to be a novel. But it might be a play, or a screenplay, in which case the format is different. Even with a play (which generally focuses on dialog), there is a wide variety in how much stage direction is given by the playwright (and it should be noted that some of the stage direction in a published play is not by the playwright, but is a transcription of what the director of the first production actually did).

But I think we should be careful in offering too many "suggestions", unless the author has asked for them. They could easily be taken the wrong way. :)

re: the trees - their "wow" tells me this is the first time they have seen real trees. Given a five foot q, these trees are about fifty to sixty feet tall. That's not an awesome size for a tree; I think in this case its awesomeness comes from its foreignness to the Cuegan.

I guess they don't get out much.
ttscp wrote:-- Post contains the24 javascript
24You know, the one everybody asks about
There was javascript? Where?
I'm partial to dark chocolate

ttscp wrote:We begin my second Token Tenure in Technocratic Tippet

833

buffygirl wrote:I am happy to post a lighthouse in my sig re: NP124, but ... what is the image being referenced?
I don't know, but I suspect it is a link or image that links directly to the actual (current) Time comic, rather than to a hashed version of what was current then. There is also a spoiler on NP92; I think it's the second or third post there. I had a few specific suggestions for lighthousing that one, for which Kieryn was probably the best location, but feel free to take a peek.

SBN wrote:Actually, NP 124 is safe now. Not sure where the other problems were, but I PM'd yangosplat and the post has been edited.
Channeling Roseanne Rosannadanna: "Never mind!" But NP92 is still a hazard.

Welcome Vytron! This is a Most Momentous Occasion, and is deserving of Wild Celebrations! I have alerted all the proper authorities, that you may be properly received! (45 pages? You can knock that off in a jiffy now that you are here!)
Jose
Edit: author attribution of the three chapters - I had originally had azule's name there, but then checked to be sure and must have made a mistake tracing quotes back. So, this is a real case of "I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken." Of course, now I remember that AluisioASG did have "something in mind"... :)
Last edited by ucim on Wed May 22, 2013 1:16 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

User avatar
mathrec
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:30 am UTC
Location: Carlsbad, California
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mathrec » Wed May 22, 2013 2:03 am UTC

ergman wrote:...The majority of othercomics by GLR don't take place anywhere specific in the real world, and some are downright surrealist.
methinks that's what's happening here.

Real to us or / too surreal?

If anyone else is trying:
Any "relevant" comment composed as two halves that are anagrams of each other. (Relevant is a slippery term in this forum.)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

User avatar
ergman
Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:24 am UTC
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ergman » Wed May 22, 2013 2:04 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Blind-posting because I'm still pages behind but I keep seeing people worrying about the tornado warning I mentioned. So to forestall any unnecessary drama, nothing happened here. <snoooop>[/size]

good to know you're doing good, stranger. I've always been a little paranoid 'bout natural disasters myself :?

mathrec wrote:
ergman wrote:...The majority of othercomics by GLR don't take place anywhere specific in the real world, and some are downright surrealist.
methinks that's what's happening here.

Real to us or / too surreal?

If anyone else is trying:
Any "relevant" comment composed as two halves that are anagrams of each other. (Relevant is a slippery term in this forum.)


No sir, Away! A p|a|paya war is on!
relevancy is relative. This is also a regular palyndrome, which my friend made up a few years ago. this kind of thing is too sophisticated for lil old me
Last edited by ergman on Wed May 22, 2013 2:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 22, 2013 2:06 am UTC

ucim wrote:This list may not make my comments any more coherent, but at least you can play with opening and closing the spoiler! :)
Jose

*clicky clicky clicky clicky clicky clicky* ooooooohh
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6908
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Wed May 22, 2013 2:07 am UTC

ucim wrote:re: the trees - their "wow" tells me this is the first time they have seen real trees. Given a five foot q, these trees are about fifty to sixty feet tall. That's not an awesome size for a tree; I think in this case its awesomeness comes from its foreignness to the Cuegan.
I guess they don't get out much.

I disagree.
I've seen plenty of trees, including redwoods. But if I stuble upon a Adansonia grandidieri or two, I'll say wow too.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2339
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Wed May 22, 2013 2:08 am UTC

ucim wrote:referring to AluisioASG's three chapters

Stop wiretapping my mind. Now.
(Unless I missed something and actually published three chapters.)

ucim wrote:But I think we should be careful in offering too many "suggestions", unless the author has asked for them. They could easily be taken the wrong way. :)

I did. And it's indeed a novel. Or maybe a short story. But I think I actually think of it as a play...
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6908
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Wed May 22, 2013 2:10 am UTC

CONGREED...
Image

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
AnotherKevin
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:47 pm UTC
Location: Upriver in the hills
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AnotherKevin » Wed May 22, 2013 2:11 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:So, I'm not a baker like the wonderful Valarya, but how 'bout we go to Albany and I'll get dinner for everyone here:


You're on! (I'm just down the road in Niskayuna!)
All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full.
Unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

User avatar
Kieryn
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:40 pm UTC
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Wed May 22, 2013 2:13 am UTC

mscha wrote:
pelrigg wrote:(When was the last time riverssong posted?) (I know there are several Elders from those nips-of-yore about, but has anyone made a roll call of the Original Posters who have not graced this Hallowed Pages in many a newpix?)

That would be somethink for Kieryn, I'd say.
Kieryn, are you already keeping track of the first and last post number (or NP number) of each poster? If so, maybe you can add a sort by “first posted” and “last posted” to your Credits page.


Here ya go: http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/Credits Highlighted people have been posting in past 9 days.

Also Happy NewData everyone! :)
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6908
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Wed May 22, 2013 2:14 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
pelrigg wrote:(When was the last time riverssong posted?) (I know there are several Elders from those nips-of-yore about, but has anyone made a roll call of the Original Posters who have not graced this Hallowed Pages in many a newpix?)

That would be somethink for Kieryn, I'd say.
Kieryn, are you already keeping track of the first and last post number (or NP number) of each poster? If so, maybe you can add a sort by “first posted” and “last posted” to your Credits page.

Here ya go: http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/Credits Highlighted people have been posting in past 9 days.
Also Happy NewData everyone! :)

You rule, sir!
(Edit: now all we need is a sort on the column headers. ;) )
(Edit2: tip.)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
Valarya
Posts: 975
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 pm UTC
Location: Nashville

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Valarya » Wed May 22, 2013 2:24 am UTC

astrocub wrote:
Vytron wrote:<snip>
I found a shortcut in page 625 that had a shortcut to page 670 and I took it, skipping 45 pages of content...!

Conhatulations and welcome! But the past 45 pages you skipped have been the best so far ;)


(since he missed the best stories, noir, limericks, and dactyl pages around)

Welcome young Vytron we're
So glad you ketchuped to
Meet us at Present in
    The OTT.
Someday quite soon you should
Blitz the missed pages for
supra-spectacular
    Bee6 poetry.


6: Raptorflies, Beesnakes, Mosquitosaurs, Penisbees, etc. You know. Those.
Last edited by Valarya on Wed May 22, 2013 2:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Image

User avatar
AnotherKevin
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:47 pm UTC
Location: Upriver in the hills
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AnotherKevin » Wed May 22, 2013 2:25 am UTC

azule wrote:Panorama Lost... From what I could see, there is an eyeline to the trees at most points. I would say this would then "prove" that the atmosphere is thick, maybe with smog/ozone/sciency-stuff. But right next to the mound it might be a little more difficult to see the tree.


Being no stranger to controvery, I'll preach the Schematist Schism once more: the frames we see are schematic - and tell the story - but are not drawn to scale nor accurate cross-sections. Megan and Cueball may well have been walking for days, and climbed far up into a mighty range of mountains (rather than up a dinky little hill a few times the height of a manstick figure. Nor is the sequence of newpix uniform. Its speed is the pace of the story, not any absolute yardstick of Time.

OK, get the wood piled under the stake now.

EDIT: If I'm pope, can I decree Schematism to be official doctrine? Whoopee!
All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full.
Unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2339
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Wed May 22, 2013 2:34 am UTC

AnotherKevin wrote:Its speed is the pace of the story, not any absolute yardstick of Time.

I believe we have been given enough proof of this. No heresy to see here. Move along.

AnotherKevin wrote:If I'm pope, can I decree Schematism to be official doctrine?

Nope.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ucim and 84 guests