1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Valarya

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Valarya » Thu May 16, 2013 7:43 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:GettONG up...
Spoiler:

I wonder if the river is in the same direction/newpix as cueball went last time and found the camp4.

4which is old.

mscha should add that to his signature! Image

1Big
2Small
3Neat
4Old
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 16, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:GettONG up...
Spoiler:

I wonder if the river is in the same direction/newpix as cueball went last time and found the camp4.

4which is old.

mscha should add that to his signature! Image

1Big
2Small
3Neat
4Old

Indeed! ... I feel a sig change grumbling in my belly...
Spoiler:
runs to the bathroomand waits for it.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Thu May 16, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

Aha, I thought it was a campfire, but I had too much ketchup to do to post my hypothesis before it was confirmed. Luckily for the anticondimentalists, I forgot about most of the things I wanted to reply to.

HES wrote:An excuse to play with Lego is the only reason I want kids.
Creating an entire new person and turning yourself into a parent is a pretty drastic thing to do just as an excuse. Just play with Lego if that's what interests you. You're a grown-up and you can play with whatever you want. But do it responsibly; wear shoes.

HES wrote:I never got the American use of "legos"... to me, they are pieces/parts/sets of lego. If you have a sand pit, you don't say it's full of sands... [/flamebait]
I agree.

mikro2nd wrote:
Rule110 wrote:The Alt-Text

Utterly brilliant! Leaves me ravenous for more.

:D Nice pun.

mscha wrote:Warning: animated image (although I don't think it's epilepsy or headache inducing):
Spoiler:

Don't worry; it won't induce so much as an eyelid twitch once the animation is slowed to one per newpix. (Do we have a name for that unit of frequency? Nertx, perhaps, from Hertz and newpix?)

Oh, and sure, a phoenix rises from its own ashes, but where did the first phoenix come from, eh? A big bang? :roll: The GLR? :roll: Nope; obviously an egg! Ha! :P

Wait, which came first, the phoenix or the egg? And was the egg overcooked?
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 16, 2013 7:54 pm UTC

Let me just say, I now come here for a pick me up after getting unhappy news elsewhere. Because you guys are awesome enough to raise my spirits.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Thu May 16, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

HES wrote:I never got the American use of "legos"... to me, they are pieces/parts/sets of lego. If you have a sand pit, you don't say it's full of sands... [/flamebait]

You can count Legos. You can't count sand.

Well, I guess you can. But it's a lot harder.

You can also count rices, by the way.

Well, maybe we should make everything consistent. If you can't stand "Legos", then here's some pieces of brick:

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 16, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Let me just say, I now come here for a pick me up after getting unhappy news elsewhere. Because you guys are awesome enough to raise my spirits.

*hugs* I hope it wasn't anything to bad.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu May 16, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
jjdavidson wrote:Steganographic-Sig!

This has bothered me for a while... You do realize that something that advertizes itself as steganographic, by definition isn't; right?

Of course, you are absolutely correct. I must have added that some night when I was even more coma-deprived than usual. Surely I intended it to be some sort of lame reverse-psychology joke, since of course there's nothing hidden in my signature at all.

It's funny, though; I don't remember when I added it. I must have, though; it's not as if some secret organization would hack the forum servers just to muck with my

O─M─R. Maybe I'd better look into this. (And then remove all trace of it.)
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu May 16, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
I agree.

Guess I'm the only one around here who has always, and always will, use 'legos' to talk about the toy. They are legos and I build things with legos. "Pick up your damn legos; I just stepped on one!" The more you guys point it out, the more redneck I feel I sound... but hearing them called Lego just feels wrong/weird to me unless I'm speaking about a Lego shirt. Or some Lego birthday invitations.

Or Lego Cupcakes. But these are only for people who call them Legos. Image

Spoiler:

edit: got ninja'd

Earthling on Mars wrote:Well, maybe we should make everything consistent. If you can't stand "Legos", then here's some pieces of brick:
Spoiler:

I love you. Enjoy a cupcake.
Last edited by Valarya on Thu May 16, 2013 8:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Thu May 16, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

Dracomax, you might know the answer to this: do dragons breathe phoenixes? If so, does it only happen when they've been eating eggs, or can it be at any time?

Aww, here I was thinking that jjjdavidson's paradoxical signature was hiding a message for one particular grapheme-colour synaesthete in the colours of 'steganographic sig'.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 16, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

and they're off ONG their journey again

Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu May 16, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
I agree.

Guess I'm the only one around here who has always, and always will, use 'legos' to talk about the toy. They are legos and I build things with legos. "Pick up your damn legos; I just stepped on one!" The more you guys point it out, the more redneck I feel I sound... but hearing them called Lego just feels wrong/weird to me unless I'm speaking about a Lego shirt. Or some Lego birthday invitations.

I've never heard them called just "Lego" by anyone actually in the same room with me. They're "Legos," or, "Lego bricks," or, "Ow, dammit!"
Valarya wrote:Or Lego Cupcakes. But these are only for people who call them Legos. Image
Spoiler:

That would be me. Nomch nomch nomch... Hey, crunchy!
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu May 16, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:Oh, and sure, a phoenix rises from its own ashes, but where did the first phoenix come from, eh? A big bang? :roll: The GLR? :roll: Nope; obviously an egg! Ha! :P

Hmmm. Turtles.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 16, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

Just had a silly random thought about Molpy... What if it were one of my lemmings that has been following them this whole time?
Image- Kieryn

HES

Postby HES » Thu May 16, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:

Well, maybe we should make everything consistent. If you can't stand "Legos", then here's some pieces of brick:

img

Those are "bricks of (probably) clay", much like the cupcakes are adorned with "bricks of lego". The only time legos would be appropriate is if you have the presence of various different brands, i.e. "There's real lego, and then there are the fake legos" GAH :evil:
He/Him/His Image

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu May 16, 2013 8:07 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Angelastic wrote:Oh, and sure, a phoenix rises from its own ashes, but where did the first phoenix come from, eh? A big bang? :roll: The GLR? :roll: Nope; obviously an egg! Ha! :P

Hmmm. Turtles.

Nice neat flaming raptors. Remember? Birds are dinosaurs.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 16, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:Dracomax, you might know the answer to this: do dragons breathe phoenixes? If so, does it only happen when they've been eating eggs, or can it be at any time?

Aww, here I was thinking that jjjdavidson's paradoxical signature was hiding a message for one particular grapheme-colour synaesthete in the colours of 'steganographic sig'.

Naw. just reading through change notes for a game. Still, aggravating.
Obviously the first phoenix was a time lord. or born from nuclear fusion and electromagnetic storms creating a freak inteligence capable of shaping energy into matter. Whichever.

Also, not all flame is phoenix. Why on earth would you think dragons breathe phoenixes? We've been known to animate the dead to avoid having to pay delivery fees, but breathe phoenixes? that's just silly.
Last edited by Dracomax on Thu May 16, 2013 8:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
“have i gone mad?

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Thu May 16, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
Spoiler:
Angelastic wrote:
I agree.

Simple: one Lego, two Legi.
Also:
ggh wrote:The molpy might be a blow to the Dead Sea camp - Google tells me there's hyraxes (I'm probably pluraling that wrong (and my verbing is worse)) near the Dead Sea, but they don't have much of a tail.

Hyraxi. And molpii.
Last edited by astrocub on Thu May 16, 2013 8:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Thu May 16, 2013 8:10 pm UTC

Lego vs Legos must be a regional thing, although I wouldn't say redneck, since I'm from New York and I've always heard them called "legos". Logically, I'll concede they should be called "Lego bricks", but people refer to "kleenexes" and "frisbees", so I don't see why "legos" should be any different.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Thu May 16, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

Thank you Kieryn and ttscp for your input to my problem. I am afraid the method I used is not very accurate for estimating the information content of new posts to the thread. Besides it scales really terribly - n! - so it is actually rather unfeasable even on my fast machine to do it for more than about 10000 posts and quite impossible for more than 20000. (And I really don't want to wait for it.)
Well, back to the drawing board... but first I got to coma for a few newpix.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 16, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:

img

Those are "bricks of (probably) clay", much like the cupcakes are adorned with "bricks of lego". The only time legos would be appropriate is if you have the presence of various different brands, i.e. "There's real lego, and then there are the fake legos" GAH :evil:

Yeah, this is one of those weird colloquialisms I've had to deal with over here. (I'm originally from Sheffield, UK, but now live in NYC). I cringe even more whenever I find myself accidentally saying legos. Sometimes you just have to do it to avoid the hassle of the :shock: & :?: you get. I am also confused how the idea (that each brick was a lego) got started here and not elsewhere.
Image- Kieryn

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 16, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

I always think Legos, even knowing that Lego is the name of the company, and not the product. It sounds right to me, and I really don't care what the dutch think. Why should they get to name the product, just because it is a dutch company?
“have i gone mad?

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 16, 2013 8:14 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:I always think Legos, even knowing that Lego is the name of the company, and not the product. It sounds right to me, and I really don't care what the dutch think. Why should they get to name the product, just because it is a dutch company?

I think the problem steams from the fact that they don't understand that the customer is always right, at least when it comes to nicknaming your product.

foilman

Postby foilman » Thu May 16, 2013 8:15 pm UTC

The whole LEGO vs legos argument is dealt with here quite well:

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/10839/legos-not-lego

Basically boils down to North American vs most of the rest of the world.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 16, 2013 8:16 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Thank you Kieryn and ttscp for your input to my problem. I am afraid the method I used is not very accurate for estimating the information content of new posts to the thread. Besides it scales really terribly - n! - so it is actually rather unfeasable even on my fast machine to do it for more than about 10000 posts and quite impossible for more than 20000. (And I really don't want to wait for it.)
Well, back to the drawing board... but first I got to coma for a few newpix.

You're welcome. We1 ought to start keeping a list of our projects with effort points so we can also put them out to vote for popularity and then prioritize. Anyone know of a good widget for this?

1Data Analysis Department
Image- Kieryn

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Thu May 16, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:I always think Legos, even knowing that Lego is the name of the company, and not the product. It sounds right to me, and I really don't care what the dutch think. Why should they get to name the product, just because it is a dutch company?

Because it's a danish company. :P
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Thu May 16, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:

img

"Lego bricks" I could deal with -- bricks made by the company Lego. But "bricks of lego" is just ridiculous -- bricks made of a material called "lego"?

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 16, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:

I think the problem steams from the fact that they don't understand that the customer is always right, at least when it comes to nicknaming your product.

Thing is, it's not just the dutch... it's at least the UK too, probably most other places in the world. I wonder what factors drive regions to each possibility?
Image- Kieryn

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 16, 2013 8:20 pm UTC

Micro-Blitz-Report:

lmjb1964 wrote:ETA: PFAN, and my 200th post! Um, uterus! Fallopian tubes! Did I do that right?

This cracked me up! And "fallopian tube" is now going to be my new go-to: "Stop being a fallopian tube!" "Geeez! you see the way he cut you off in traffic? What a fallopian tube!" :lol:

Dracomax wrote:
HES wrote:
Dracomax wrote:now give the flow to Megan! I've only been saying it since vegetation appeared.

That would make for a beautifully awkward moment :D

yikes! that's almost as bad as the counts typo!

Maybe. Or maybe not. It could be a good thing, as in helping her be more in-the-moment and attuned to all that happens around her -- to be able to better "go with the flow," so to speak. Or it could be something like a fear from the dark ages that believes that menstruation is contagious...

Hmmm... First fallopian tubes and now menstruation -- what's next? a revisit of the 'quim' discussion?

Smithers wrote:ONGTHEROADAGAIN
Spoiler:
With credit to Willie Nelson
Ong the road again
Just can't wait to get ong the road again.
The life I love is waitin' for it with my friends
And I can't wait to get ong the road again.

Ong the road again
Goin' places that I've never been.
Seein' things that I may never see again
I can't wait to get ong the road again.

Ong the road again
Like a thread of posters we go down the highway
We're the best of friends.
Insisting that the frames keep turning our way
And our way
is ong the road again.

<instrumental>

Ong the road again
Like a thread of posters we go down the highway
We're the best of friends
Insisting that the frames keep turning our way
And our way
is ong the road again.
I find it interesting to consider the different approaches to song paradies. I generally try to make as few changes as possible in order to fit a new theme, although others will change the lyrics entirely, preserving only the tune. I don't consider either to be superior, they are merely alternatives.

Awesome rendition, Smithers! That's a tune I've had rolling around the back of my mind for a while, too, and I like what you did with it! My approach is to shoot for something in the middle -- keep the rhyme and meter as much as possible, but redo the lyrics to fit what I'm writing about.

Dracomax wrote:Yet another poor attempt at making music...
To the tune of Gilligan's Isle
Spoiler:
Now, sit right down and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful stick
that started from this sandy beach, With the castles built up thick

Megan was a mighty thinking lass,
and cueball brave but thick
Two travelers set off the xip
for a Three new pix trek
a three newpix trek.

FOr the sea it started rising fast
The far right tower lost
if they didn't find the cause
the castle would be the cost
the castle'd be the cost

The duo set out over this deserted desert land

With LaPetite,
Cueball too

The river that is small
Magan and a lot of land,
here on cueballs trek.
here on Cueballs trek.

Another great parody! Great work! It's probably a sign of how I was damaged by too much TV at an early age, but while I can forget what my wife asked me to bring home from the store in a phone conversation ten minutes ago, I can remember every episode of Gilligan's Isle...

Exodies wrote:We often imagine that the OTC is influenced by the Tread, and sometimes it stretches credibility to think the synchronicity is coincidence. But what if the Tread is influenced by the OTC?

??? I'm perplexed... I've, I've just never imagined this. Maybe I should go out and start measuring my tires to determine if there is a correlation between what happens in the OTC and thy depth of my tread. I'll report my findings as data is accumulated...

Latent22 wrote:Here is the new molpy. it looks like it is moving sideways slightly

Spoiler:
molpy.gif

Is it just me, or does that look like a periscope??? Maybe the molpy is a grass-submarine!!!

BlitzGirl wrote:I must have a serious Sudoku addiction... I did the puzzle anyway... Even though it wasn't a real puzzle......help...
Spoiler:

*sigh* ...just see "image" with no image, again. I'll have to use my "I-imagine"-image-imagination for now...

Rule110 wrote:The Alt-Text
<snip>

Hit this again and still love it!!!

ttscp wrote:Thoughts on the OTC and the nature of Story
<snip>
The more I think about this, the less sure I am of any conclusions. I don't even know if this is a story, it has some elements of one, but others defy the conventions. I don't know whether it will loop or end or (in theory) go on forever.

I figured I'd offer my thoughts and see what anyone else on this (intelligent, articulate and above all handsome) OTT had to offer.

Wonderful analysis, and I have to agree: 1380+ newpixesses into the OTC, nearly 640 pages into the OTT, and "I don't know" is the best any of us can manage as an answer. The pacing has lagged at times, but for holding suspense and uncertainty as to what will happen, the GLR has shown himself to be a true master.

HES wrote:"Hotel California"
"Randall's One True Comic"

Spoiler:
Internet on a dark night, see cool things that are there
Warm smell of a coffee1, rising up through the air
Coming in through the curtains, I saw a shimmering light
My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim
I hadn't stopped for the night!
There I sat, tired at my desk;
I hadn't comaed well;
And I was thinking to myself,
"This could be Heaven or this could be Hell"
Then I sipped on my coffee1, refreshed the demons away,
There were voices on the One True Thread,
I thought I heard them say...

Welcome to Randall's One True Comic
Such a lovely place (Such a lovely place)
Such a lovely pace
Plenty of Time in Randall's One True Comic
Any time of year (Any time of year)
You can find it here

My mind is definitely twisted, wondering "what if it ends"
I got a lot of pretty, pretty hats, I call friends
We don't want it to be like, the horror that was LOST.
Or the ones who cancelled firefly, turning fire to frost!

So I called up the P-FAN,
"Please bring me newpix"
He said, "We haven't had a new ONG here since what outsiders call 'six'"
And still those voices are calling from far away,
Keep you up in the middle of the night
Just to hear them say...

Welcome to Randall's One True Comic
Such a lovely place (Such a lovely place)
Such a lovely pace
We're livin' it up for Randall's One True Comic
Making awesome things (making awesome things)
like dinosaurs with wings!

On this needle-pulled thing,
[your name]'s really nice,
But [s]he said "We are all just prisoners here, of our own device"
And in the inquisition,
They gathered for the feast
They pelt it with their M&M's,
But they just can't kill the beast

Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back
To the outsider I was before
"Relax," said the night bots,
"We are programmed to receive.
You can log-out any time you like,
But you can never leave!"

Wow -- another fabulous job! Excellent work, HES!!! :D

ucim wrote:I am certain that Randall is not "just messing with our heads". He has a tale to tell, and it will be worth waiting for.

Excellent analysis also, but I disagree to a degree -- I think "messing with our heads" is a central tenet of humor, and Randall does a great job of it while telling his tale. And it will be worth Waiting for. It already has been, if only for all the awesomeness of the OTT, regardless of the outcome of the OTC...

mscha wrote:
Kieryn wrote:I'm wondering when they may start hallucinating from those berries and how GLR might depict that...
EDIT: As a fun exercise, how would we depict that?

Spoiler:

Awesome! Reminds me of some Grateful Dead shows... :wink:

And speaking -- again -- of Lego(s), Is there anyone besides me that thinks it's awesome that girls play with Lego? Because it makes them...
Spoiler:
Lego Lasses:
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 16, 2013 8:20 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:
HES wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:

img

"Lego bricks" I could deal with -- bricks made by the company Lego. But "bricks of lego" is just ridiculous -- bricks made of a material called "lego"?

Yeah no, this is not really how we brits see it. It's more like many bricks make up some lego. Kind of like molecules make up a substance. You would not call H20 molecules "waters" nor are they made of water, but together they make up water.

Edit: for extreme clarity:

I have many water molecules in my container full of water.
=
I have many lego bricks in my container full of lego.

Edit 2: like water, lego can never be pluralized (without talking about a meta-concept, like the quality of water/lego)
Last edited by Kieryn on Thu May 16, 2013 8:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image- Kieryn

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 16, 2013 8:24 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:

What, you expect an American to know the difference?

I swear I knew that, but I get them mixed up because neither country sounds like the name of it's population...
Honestly, I don't see why anyone should care what North America calls the product so long as they aren't forcing others to do the same. Usually, and especially in this case, it's a derivation of the languages spoken and the logic thereof. I will call it lego bricks, but honestly, it's "Go play with your legos," or "Pick your legos up."
“have i gone mad?

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu May 16, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:And speaking -- again -- of Lego(s), Is there anyone besides me that thinks it's awesome that girls play with Lego? Because it makes them...
Spoiler:
Lego Lasses:

You just had to arrow my heart in two with that beautiful bow1 whilst still referring to Legos in singular. No cupcakes for you. :cry:

1 : beau

edit:
Kieryn wrote:I have many water molecules in my container full of water.
=

That just sounds soooo wrong to me, even if I get why it's used that way.
Last edited by Valarya on Thu May 16, 2013 8:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Thu May 16, 2013 8:26 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:On sudoku:
mathrec wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
mathrec wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I must have a serious Sudoku addiction... I did the puzzle anyway... Even though it wasn't a real puzzle......help...
How to tell if you need help with your sudoku addiction

Speaking of Sudoku additions: I hate you.
Since I discovered your Sudoku of the Day, I'm losing what valuable little time I have left after OTT, coma and Outside responsibilities (yes, those are in descending order of priority) to them.
12 May: easy to moderate, sure... I spent hours solving that one...
OK. That's not fair on my part. About four years ago I programmed my server to generate a puzzle once per day. Remember, there will always be more. You don't have to solve them.

*gasp* No! Solve all Sudoku! Image
As punishment, you must complete the puzzle shown in this smiley:

(it's actually quite easy, but apparently smileys are not very good at sudoku)

He's smiling now.
Smiley.png
Smiley.png (1.67 KiB) Viewed 12553 times
But it's because he knows it could be solved, not because it's done...
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Thu May 16, 2013 8:27 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:
HES wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:

img

Yeah no, this is not really how we brits see it. It's more like many bricks make up some lego. Kind of like molecules make up a substance. You would not call H20 molecules "waters" nor are they made of water, but together they make up water.

=

Ah, but maybe we should be calling H20 molecules "waters". :twisted:

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 16, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:And speaking -- again -- of Lego(s), Is there anyone besides me that thinks it's awesome that girls play with Lego? Because it makes them...
Spoiler:
Lego Lasses:

You just had to arrow my heart in two with that beautiful bow1 whilst still referring to Legos in singular. No cupcakes for you. :cry:

1 : beau

Sorry. It was purely for punnification purposes...

Spoiler:
...it wouldn't be as funny as "Legos lasses"

But in common usage, I always say "legos".

And also -- great archery puns, your elf!
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 16, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:
HES wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:

img

=

Ok fine, if US Americans start calling H20 molecules "waters" I will concede they are permitted to call lego bricks "legos" on account of consistency. However, I personally believe that if US Americans are unable to do so because uh, some people out there in that nation don't have legos...
Image- Kieryn

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Thu May 16, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:

Wait ... I thought they produced those little plastic brick toys. Although, danishes are tasty so I don't mind either way.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 16, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Spoiler:
Earthling on Mars wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:
HES wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:

img

=

Ok fine, if US Americans start calling H20 molecules "waters" I will concede they are permitted to call lego bricks "legos" on account of consistency. However, I personally believe that if US Americans are unable to do so because uh, some people out there in that nation don't have legos...

America's Great Waters

EDITED to fix the name in the link

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Thu May 16, 2013 8:38 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Spoiler:
Earthling on Mars wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:
HES wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:

img

=

Are other brand-names-turned-nouns an American-only thing, in general? Do Brits always say "frisbee discs" instead of "frisbees"? Really, if we're speaking English, there are bound to be inconsistencies no matter which way you go.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 16, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Spoiler:
Earthling on Mars wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:
HES wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:

img

=

Great American Waters

In my 2nd edit to my "extreme clarity" bit, (not included in this quote tree) I address this. Water and lego may be pluralized in this way, but you start talking about a meta-concept. "Waters" is always talking about water of different qualities, in your example that means different locations. It's not talking about water itself.

Edit: Another clarifying example: I miss the legos of my childhood, like Blacktron.
Last edited by Kieryn on Thu May 16, 2013 8:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image- Kieryn

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu May 16, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

No, but you don't usually need to search through the sand pit to find precisely the right piece of sand.

I think the local use was something like, "Want to play Lego?" "Sure, let me get my Legos." As near as I can tell*, the correct term is "Lego Bricks" so Legos seems like a reasonable short form. When we built our kids a sand box, we didn't go buy "sand grains" we bought bags of sand. But Lego bricks are bricks by Lego, not bricks of Lego, so maybe we should be calling them Lego's?

*I was hoping I'd captured some of the signs on the models when we visited the original Legoland, but no such luck.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”