1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Dracomax

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 23, 2013 7:34 pm UTC

It's obviously a limbo stick. I predict the end of the comic will be an epic limbo contest. signifying...uh...look, Molpy!
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 23, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
astrocub wrote:
Someguy945 wrote:
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:
mscha wrote:Whatever it is, it's standing perfectly still and not important enough for Cuegan to comment ONG...

Like I said, a projectile. Albiet a very1 slowly moving one.

1very x 100

Hey, if something moves by less than a Planck length, it cannot be detected or measured in any way.

Suppose an object moves by 1/3 of a Planck length on each of 10 separate occasions, all in the same direction. Each occasion is a few seconds apart or more.

Has the object moved, or is it still in its original position on the basis that none of the individual movements had any effect?

[nerd]Anything smaller than a planck length is, by definition, unphysical, so it makes no sense to talk about it. Your argument is invalid. :wink: [/nerd]

Hmmm. My reading of it is that something at Planck length is unmeasurable. It doesn't follow that it (as a distance) doesn't exist. If we answer Someguy945 to say it is in its original position, we seem to be left with Zeno's paradox. He didn't specify that the object had a size less than Planck length, only that it moved by a small amount.

I suppose we have to infer that something can't be smaller than Planck length, tho.

OTOH, I'm not a physicist, nor even particularly adept at quantum theory or other magic. But then, the physics at this level of scale is unknown. Quantum physicists DO seem to talk about it - probably a lot. Others must judge whether they "make sense." :-)

I think scientific thinking generally goes along the lines of if something is undetectable or unmeasurable then it doesn't exist. Edit: A good analogue is newpix. We can talk about lengths of time shorter than one newpix, but in reality, we know that true time is quantized to newpix. Talking about newpix 134.34 just doesn't make sense... it's either 134 or 135, there is nothing in between.
Last edited by Kieryn on Thu May 23, 2013 7:40 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 23, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:It's obviously a limbo stick. I predict the end of the comic will be an epic limbo contest. signifying...uh...look, Molpy!

Wait! You can't just stop, leaving us in limbo! What does it signify, I want to... Molpy!?! What? Where?!?!?
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Thu May 23, 2013 7:51 pm UTC

thirds wrote:I say it's a toy helicopter in a bush, but I could be wrONG.

Spoiler:

Looks like a tiny lighthouse to me.

(edited to spoiler image)

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu May 23, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

Probably not a molpy. Must have snuck in behind them.
Attachments
Timebugs1.gif
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 23, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:My inspiration came from this old time joke

That reminds me of this one, which is even worse.
Spoiler:
Er komt een konijn bij de bakker en vraagt: 'Bakker, heeft u ook worteltjestaart?' 'Nee, het spijt me,' zegt de bakker, 'worteltjestaart heb ik niet.' De volgende dag komt het konijn weer langs en vraagt: 'Bakker, heeft u worteltjestaart?' 'Nee,' zegt de bakker, 'worteltjestaart heb ik niet.' Elke dag komt het konijn om worteltjestaart zeuren, en de bakker wordt het zo zat dat hij een worteltjestaart bakt. Als de volgende dag het konijn weer langskomt, vraagt 'ie: 'Bakker, heeft u worteltjestaart?' 'Ja,' zegt de bakker. Zegt het konijn: 'Vies he?'
Oh, you can't read that, you say? Try this one, a collaborative translation effort between Google and me – mostly the latter:
Spoiler:
A rabtor enters a bakery and asks, "Baker, have you got carrot cake?" "No, I'm sorry," says the baker, "carrot cake I have not." The next icositetranewpix, the rabtor again enters and asks, "Baker, have you got carrot cake?" "No," says the baker, "carrot cake I have not." Every icositetranewpix, the rabtor begs for carrot cake, and finally the baker is so fed up that he bakes a carrot cake. The next icositetranewpix, the rabtor comes back, and asks, "Baker, have you got carrot cake?" "Yes," says the baker. Says the rabtor: "Disgusting, isn't it?"

(I apologise insincerely for posting this...)
Last edited by mscha on Thu May 23, 2013 8:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 23, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

Not good at making sONGs
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 23, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

Hm. =/ I seriously thought we'd learn something this newpix. Nope.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu May 23, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

Never to be mentioned again.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Thu May 23, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:
thirds wrote:I say it's a toy helicopter in a bush, but I could be wrONG.

Spoiler:

Looks like a tiny lighthouse to me.

(edited to spoiler image)

No, it looks like the far end of some velvet-rope barriers leading to a nightclub.

Zooming in, it also looks very much like Cueball and Megan are hand in hand in the previous frame. This could be just a coincidence in the most literal sense (the ends of their arms are at different distances but happen to coincide in the shadow-projection-like view) but heck, they've been walking around naked1 all this time, it would be nice if they're at least close friends.

1Okay, this is debatable, but given all the minute details of their actions we've been shown, have any pix even suggested donning or removing clothes (other than bags) e.g. before or after swimming, brushing sand off clothes after falls, or anything like that?
Last edited by Rule110 on Thu May 23, 2013 8:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 23, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:Not good at making sONGs
Spoiler:

Arrrgh!!! I was really curious to find out what that is and Randall is making us wait for it!

Spoiler:
Wait. What did I say? Oh yeah -- that's the whole point, isn't it? :wink:
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 23, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

thirds wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:It definitely looks mechanical. My soon-to-be-proven-wrong guess is: "An agricultural sprinkler of some kind." Perhaps the sprinkler is for upcoming farmland. And they've been left on too long and are flooding the sea with so much run-off that the tides are rising. Which ties in with the whole OTC theme of the effects of man-made alterations of the ecology and environment and global warming and how excessive irrigation leads to pregnancy and cancer...

I had the idea of a sprinkler as well, one of those tall ones with the mechanical switching arm.

That matches the location we have in mind: http://goo.gl/maps/mxqj9

Rule110 wrote:... but heck, they've been walking around naked1 all this time, it would be nice if they're at least close friends.
1Okay, this is debatable, but given all the minute details of their actions we've been shown, have any pix even suggested donning or removing clothes (other than bags) e.g. before or after swimming, brushing sand off clothes after falls, or anything like that?

Since they don't appear to have external sexual organs, that's probably no big deal.
They have been brushing sand off themselves (and each other), though, but not necessarily off clothes.
Spoiler:
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu May 23, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Kieryn wrote: EDIT: Oh wait, this is OTC specific right? Ooops I got a bad case of myxomaonetrues.

You have a bad case of what? Google has failed me for the last time!

*Attempts to force choke google*

Damn. It's impossible to kill a globally supported search engine using non-existent telekinetic choke manuevers.

Edit:
stratplayer wrote:the beesnakes that seek your snatch!

seems a bit risqu riske adult themed.

That's prolly more teen than adult.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 23, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Kieryn wrote:My inspiration came from this old time joke

That reminds me of this one, which is even worse.
Spoiler:
Er komt een konijn bij de bakker en vraagt: 'Bakker, heeft u ook worteltjestaart?' 'Nee, het spijt me,' zegt de bakker, 'worteltjestaart heb ik niet.' De volgende dag komt het konijn weer langs en vraagt: 'Bakker, heeft u worteltjestaart?' 'Nee,' zegt de bakker, 'worteltjestaart heb ik niet.' Elke dag komt het konijn om worteltjestaart zeuren, en de bakker wordt het zo zat dat hij een worteltjestaart bakt. Als de volgende dag het konijn weer langskomt, vraagt 'ie: 'Bakker, heeft u worteltjestaart?' 'Ja,' zegt de bakker. Zegt het konijn: 'Vies he?'
Oh, you can't read that, you say? Try this one, a collaborative translation effort between Google and me – mostly the latter:
Spoiler:
A rabtor enters a bakery and asks, "Baker, have you got carrot cake?" "No, I'm sorry," says the baker, "carrot cake I have not." The next icositetranewpix, the rabtor again enters and asks, "Baker, have you got carrot cake?" "No," says the baker, "carrot cake I have not." Every icositetranewpix, the rabtor begs for carrot cake, and finally the baker is so fed up that he bakes a carrot cake. The next icositetranewpix, the rabtor comes back, and asks, "Baker, have you got carrot cake?" "Yes," says the baker. Says the rabtor: "Disgusting, isn't it?"

(I apologise insincerely for posting this...)

I'm always amused when contrasting dutch and english.
My favorite example is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BXnD1B3O1k
The first line of the song to me sounds exactly like a scottish guy singing "Ever seen some mouseshit in my hamster dump?"
Image- Kieryn

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu May 23, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:Not good at making sONGs

I predict that that thing will turn out to be something we know or can make up something about such that we amuse ourselves to deathfor a while cracking jokes and making outrageous connections. Are we sure we're not in a loop?

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Thu May 23, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

ದೊಡ್ಡ ಗಂಟೆಯಂಥ
as perplexing as my ong

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Thu May 23, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

Ooh, an espalier. A vineyard, no less. Wine Time!
Last edited by astrocub on Thu May 23, 2013 9:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu May 23, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

spamjam wrote:ದೊಡ್ಡ ಗಂಟೆಯಂಥ

as perplexing as my ong

Reminds me of fields of hops. (Well, a row of hops, being 2.5D)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Thu May 23, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

Spoiler:

as perplexing as my ong

Did Megball just walk into a vineyard? :?

ETA: Apparently there are a few, but they should be up in the hills, not anywhere near Adansonia grandidieri.
Last edited by slinches on Thu May 23, 2013 9:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 23, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

as perplexing as my ong

It's a trap!
Image- Kieryn

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 23, 2013 9:06 pm UTC

Overgrown fence? Not sure if the vines are intentional. Unless appearing unintentional is their intent.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

foilman

Postby foilman » Thu May 23, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

Vines... will we encounter other people soon...? More likely the vines will continue across many frames.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 23, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
azule wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:...beesnakes mated with molpyflies...

Argh! Would the mountain lion have babies with the cougar? You see where I'm going with this. *folds arms*

Yes, if it were a hot, hot cougar. They might even get the puma in on a threesome...

well, they are all part of the family felidae, so would that make this Cat on cat on cat matchup even less politically acceptable?

I dunno, cultural attitudes are kind of blasé about threesomes at the moment. We should throw a studly catamount into the mix and make it a feline foursome.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 23, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Overgrown fence? Not sure if the vines are intentional. Unless appearing unintentional is their intent.

I tend to agree. To me this is a sign of long-former habitation since abandoned and left to the elements, subsequently growing over, which would fit with the earlier wood pile and other clues that this area seems to be formerly but no-longer inhabited.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

fatness

Postby fatness » Thu May 23, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

Definitely a vineyard...the vines are too regularly spaced to be anything else.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 23, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

I would argue that it is the fenceposts that are regularly spaced, and the vines followed those paths...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 23, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

fatness wrote:Definitely a vineyard...the vines are too regularly spaced to be anything else.

I think that's because there are fence posts there (and regularly spaced) that the vines have grown up, creating the same appearance.

Could go either way, IMO.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu May 23, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

Who's got the map info on proximity of vineyard to baobab grove?

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 23, 2013 9:20 pm UTC

This is ridiculous. 15 minutes after posting, I google your ong, and get 5 hits. 3 dictionaries, 1 India Times, and ... this thread.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 23, 2013 9:23 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I would argue that it is the fenceposts that are regularly spaced, and the vines followed those paths...

Yeah I have to agree with blitzgirl here, they are indeed fence posts, if you were growing grapes the top would be about 6inches above head level so you don't have to bend down to get the grapes.

mscha wrote:

This is ridiculous. 15 minutes after posting, I google your ong, and get 5 hits. 3 dictionaries, 1 India Times, and ... this thread.

Just goes to show the power of the OTC and OTT.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu May 23, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

I think MobTeeseboose is a journalist on the India Times. The name's familiar.
Last edited by Exodies on Thu May 23, 2013 9:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Thu May 23, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:
fatness wrote:Definitely a vineyard...the vines are too regularly spaced to be anything else.

I think that's because there are fence posts there (and regularly spaced) that the vines have grown up, creating the same appearance.

Could go either way, IMO.

A fence is possible, but the top rail looks a little thin and if it's that overgrown, we should see some broken spans.

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Thu May 23, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I would argue that it is the fenceposts that are regularly spaced, and the vines followed those paths...

If that was supposed to be a fence, it would be no good at keeping anything out (in?)
There's nothing between the posts, and the vines have the right growth/leaf shape to be grapes.
Also, grapevines will keep growing a loooong time, albeit without producing much grapes, after they've been abandoned.

ETA: I've lived near wine country much of my life :)
Last edited by astrocub on Thu May 23, 2013 9:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 23, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

Good point, Opiboble.
Unless it's a molpy vineyard?
Nope, half a cue seems too high for molpies.

I also think these might be the wrong kind of vines for a vineyard...they seem rather ivy-like to me.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 23, 2013 9:28 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Good point, Opiboble.
Unless it's a molpy vineyard?
Nope, half a cue seems too high for molpies.

I also think these might be the wrong kind of vines for a vineyard...they seem rather ivy-like to me.

They could be trying to cultivate a hedge. Now that I think would be most likely since it is more handrail like then fence like.

thirds

Postby thirds » Thu May 23, 2013 9:28 pm UTC

So it's a fence ... with one rail?

susanoodin

Postby susanoodin » Thu May 23, 2013 9:28 pm UTC

looks like a decorative railing type of thing to me
SBN wrote: ..., but then maybe we don't know enough yet. (But that's what the start of finding out looks like.)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 23, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

If it's a fence, it might be one like this:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

thirds

Postby thirds » Thu May 23, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

thirds wrote:
Spoiler:

I'm struggling to understand why this "rail" or whatever it is extends a handwidth past the first post.

Edit: and it's on flat-land too. Not much use for a handrail.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 23, 2013 9:31 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:If it's a fence, it might be one like this:
Spoiler:

That is a good point, more of a cattle fence then a wall fence.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”