1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

woods

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby woods » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

So indeed the Loopists were indeed teased... You guys deserved it.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

Didn't start looping. Whew. Apparently that wasn't the sea.

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:Didn't start looping. Whew. Apparently that wasn't the sea.

It probably was the sea. They walking along the coast, and when they stopped for a while, the camera rotated a quarter circle around them so we could see the sea. Camera is now back to its original viewpoint, basically on the shoreline.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

No talking though, so I wasn't completely right
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

descor

Postby descor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

mscha wrote:And indeed, it was just a loopist tease. :)

So which sect will Lord Randall deem worthy to be trolled next?
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

Hmm...what other big (not bag) theories do we have left that Randall might use against us in the Future?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

YES! More walking! \o/
I'll never talk about a loop again. I promise. The simple idea Time could loop totally freaked me out.

Oh, and they probably stopped by a river¹, then crossed it.

¹ which is small, like this footnote
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:06 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Hmm...what other big (not bag) theories do we have left that Randall might use against us in the Future?

I don't think he's taunted the believers that the comic is mirroring and commenting on the thread nearly enough.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

Loopy Tunes
Bags Bunny

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:Didn't start looping. Whew. Apparently that wasn't the sea.

It's still the sea, and the loop presumably started with Newpix 1, it just hasn't yet completed a circuit.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

I skimmed the last newpages really quickly, so I may have missed something, anyway...
ggh wrote:BlitzGirl, I've wanted to congratulate you, but it's taken me all day to catch up on the last days' posts. Well done! And with style to boot!

And this is quite cool:
spamjam wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Don't need to go to a restaurant, you can have your own grill!
Barbecue Blitzgril

I was too late for your party, but maybe I can make you a nice steak on Spamjam's grill sometime?

A random needle-pulled question: there's the cool map for user's locations. Is there an easy way to poll our ages? It seems like we have quite a range here. I'm always amused at my assumptions when someone who posts like a patriarch reveals himself to be a student, or when a poster of youthful exuberance cites an ancient cultural reference. We seem to be a very mixed bunch, and also with a high stereotype-defying factor enhancing that mixedness.

I'm 18.

BlitzGirl wrote:Ready to see what I spent my morning doing? Here you go! It's a Present Present from me to you!

Image: http://vpx.pl/i/2013/04/30/WeLoveTheThreadOfTime.png

Click Here for Larger Version

Disclaimer: I really, really wanted to fit as many posters as possible in here but my wrist is already limp as a noodle! I tried to mostly stay with still-active people since they're the ones most likely to see it. But there were still way, way too many for even a dozen of these! I still love you all equally, I promise!!
List of those I included:
Spoiler:
LaPetite
Angelastic
Latent22
Kieryn
(manip by cmyk)
KarMann
StratPlayer
azule
tman2nd
(whoever started the footnote thing)
mscha
patzer
Eternal Density
Helper (missing)
ChronosDragon
macraw83
cmyk
RobIrr
buffygirl
Dracomax
manvandmaan
Me (yeah, yeah, I know)
The Faded Sandcastle
Cuegan

Hope you enjoy! It was a lot of fun to make. :D One of the reasons I'm happy to be in the Now is that I can do things like this, where in the Past I was too busy Questing, reading pastposts, and writing signposts!

Edit: Oh yeah, the original: http://xkcd.com/442/

Awesome! (even if it hasn't me in it)

And now, something I haven't seen in a while: WIKIBUMP!
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

The wiki link to the collection of (most) the bag1 "puns".
I got to Men in Bag, but that's all I could handle. I welcome anyone else to add to the page. Also I'm giving myself the title of Keeper of the Bags. Any objections?

1and sea and semen related puns.

EDIT: further information and footnote.
SECOND-EDIT: I'm now completely caught up on puns.
Last edited by Goggalor on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:16 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

I believe it actually was, the level went up 1 pixel while they were sitting there. I also believe it wasn't a river because otherwise they would have said something, as they were looking for "other rivers"
Rest Stop Sea Level.png
Rest Stop Sea Level.png (9.76 KiB) Viewed 8890 times
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Hmm...what other big (not bag) theories do we have left that Randall might use against us in the Future?

I don't think he's taunted the believers that the comic is mirroring and commenting on the thread nearly enough.

Well, the next obvious step would be to have them start talking about the bags. A lot.

Although, I wonder...
Has Randall read it all?
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

It probably was the sea. They walking along the coast, and when they stopped for a while, the camera rotated a quarter circle around them so we could see the sea. Camera is now back to its original viewpoint, basically on the shoreline.

As you called it!! I'm giggling, but glad they're moving on again. It was nice to see them take a little rest.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

descor

Postby descor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
jovialbard wrote:

Well, the next obvious step would be to have them start talking about the bags. A lot.

Although, I wonder...
Has Randall read it all?

That question must be bordering on heretical ... for anyone else I'd be fetching the melted chocolate and comfy chair, I feel I have to let you off though!

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:

I believe it actually was, the level went up 1 pixel while they were sitting there. I also believe it wasn't a river because otherwise they would have said something, as they were looking for "other rivers"

Hmm, yeah, now that you mention it. I had kind of assumed the camera wouldn't rotate, since it would be kind of hard to tell if that was happening (unlike the panning)... guess I was wrong.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

Goggalor wrote:The wiki link to the collection of (most) the bag1 "puns".
I got to Men in Bag, but that's all I could handle. I welcome anyone else to add to the page. Also I'm giving myself the title of Keeper of the Bags. Any objections?

Then allow me to be the first to say: "Well done oh 'Keeper Of The Bags"

(unless I've been ninja'ed)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

It almost definitely was a quarter turn. Take a look at the positions of their legs right after they sat down:

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Although, I wonder...
Has Randall read it all?

Oh dear god no, the man has things to do :D

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:21 pm UTC

I was wondering... is Cuegan/Megball moving or is the rest of the world moving?

BlitzGirl wrote:
jovialbard wrote:

Although, I wonder...
Has Randall read it all?

Lord Randall can do everything, but He once appeared to me in a dream and said that He doesn't read the forum.
EDIT: it seems I already said that http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3322583#p3322583
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:
Goggalor wrote:The wiki link to the collection of (most) the bag1 "puns".

Then allow me to be the first to say: "Well done oh 'Keeper Of The Bags"

(unless I've been ninja'ed)

You weren't ninja'd this time!

And thank you. I'm going to give my Ctrl+C Ctrl+V fingers a break now.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:29 pm UTC

Was looking at the periods on the wiki, shouldn't the fading be the end of the Enlightenment and the whole new world period be the start of the new era. I vaguely remember people discussing renaming eras and perhaps someone already said something similar to this but, I think the study of history often involves renaming or reinterpreting events in the light of perspective. They don't call World War I the "War to End All Wars" anymore, for example.

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

428/471. Speculation about the end of the OTC abounds, as does the randomness and off-topic chatter that's been present almost the entire way.

Another wall-of-text:
Spoiler:
tastony wrote:I found it quick stunning how different the 'colour'1looks in a picture editor, rather than in IE. IE still looks essentially black, but saving and opening the image in almost anything else shows it noticeably lighter. Really makes you wonder what 'reality' is, when the same image can be seen in such a different manner.

Remember Umwelt?

cellocgw wrote:As I sit and read these pages while my spousal unit continues to read GoT forums, it strikes me that her forum's participants have been writing far more about far less (considering that there's been no new books for several years now).
I've found both the direct and off-topic conversations here to be spectacularly pleasant and entertaining, and would hate to see this group of participants fade away just because the newpix are. What say we keep this thread going beyond the end either of newpix-time or outside time? 1190 Forever!

While I would dearly love to follow such a plan, I'm already having trouble keeping up with the OTT (as evidenced by the fact that I'm still 45 pages behind). I also have to wonder how others are doing in the struggle to stay current. (Some little piece of me also wonders how many man-hours have been consumed by this point, and what the total cost of those hours would be.) I'd probably be forced to either bow out once the OTC finishes, or pop in for periodic checkins and miss lots of awesomeness.

descor wrote:Pronounce it how? (I think I already pronounce it (I say hi-un-die (as do most people I know (I have a Hyundai (Oh no (I'm trapped in nested parentheses (Please help ...

How annoying is that that I have no intention of closing any of those?

RAWR. Y u no close parentheses?? )))))));

Spotted in a sig:
lmjb1964 wrote:Kryton and others who are blitzgirling, fear not the rapidly increasing number of NewPages. They are mostly short puns of, um, varying quality...

Oh good. I saw the postcount rising as fast as I can read and it worried me... but as long as the puns are short I'm good with this. It'll just give me an artificial speed boost at the end. (It might also boost the Quotes wiki page even more... anyone know how many external references a wikipage can hold before it self-destructs?)

chem1190c wrote:Hmmm.....

Comparing these two frames:
<snip of frame comparison, frame Fourier transform comparison, and many other comparisons>
This is clear, incontrovertible proof...
.. that I really do have too much time on my hands.

You don't say. :P

azule wrote:Yeah. I was thinking we'll just have to assume their demise. If anyone who's posted in the OTT does not post near the end when the "end" comes, we'll assume such and we'll all mourn for them together. :cry:

edit: choices and spelling.

Dang, that's dark. What happened to the childlike innocence and wonder early on in OTC? You know, when people were saying this was a metaphor for Randall/his gf/his baby/the world having cancer/having a miscarriage/dying?

>_>
<_<
>_>

I see. Carry on.
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

patzer wrote:
ggh wrote:A random needle-pulled question: there's the cool map for user's locations. Is there an easy way to poll our ages? It seems like we have quite a range here. I'm always amused at my assumptions when someone who posts like a patriarch reveals himself to be a student, or when a poster of youthful exuberance cites an ancient cultural reference. We seem to be a very mixed bunch, and also with a high stereotype-defying factor enhancing that mixedness.

Here you go
(I'm 15)

Thanks for doing this! I'm mumble mumble mumble.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

descor

Postby descor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:Was looking at the periods on the wiki, shouldn't the fading be the end of the Enlightenment and the whole new world period be the start of the new era. I vaguely remember people discussing renaming eras and perhaps someone already said something similar to this but, I think the study of history often involves renaming or reinterpreting events in the light of perspective. They don't call World War I the "War to End All Wars" anymore, for example.

This was my suggestion for the Sandcastle Eon:
Geological Time(witheons).png

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

dgbrt
Location: Space, Milkyway, Solar System, Earth, Europe and finally Germany

Postby dgbrt » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

There is still NO end...
Maybe Randall is also a fan to Peter Gabriel (like me)

Spoiler:
Peter Gabriel
Here Comes The Flood

all the strange things come and go...

there's no point in direction, we even can't choose a site.

Lord, here come's the flood...

...dreamers, you'r running dry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww9JS8dJ9fY

And walking...

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:33 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Ready to see what I spent my morning doing? Here you go! It's a Present Present from me to you!
Spoiler:

Click Here for Larger Version

Disclaimer: I really, really wanted to fit as many posters as possible in here but my wrist is already limp as a noodle! I tried to mostly stay with still-active people since they're the ones most likely to see it. But there were still way, way too many for even a dozen of these! I still love you all equally, I promise!!
List of those I included:
Spoiler:
LaPetite
Angelastic
Latent22
Kieryn
(manip by cmyk)
KarMann
StratPlayer
azule
tman2nd
(whoever started the footnote thing)
mscha
patzer
Eternal Density
Helper (missing)
ChronosDragon
macraw83
cmyk
RobIrr
buffygirl
Dracomax
manvandmaan
Me (yeah, yeah, I know)
The Faded Sandcastle
Cuegan

Hope you enjoy! It was a lot of fun to make. :D One of the reasons I'm happy to be in the Now is that I can do things like this, where in the Past I was too busy Questing, reading pastposts, and writing signposts!

Edit: Oh yeah, the original: http://xkcd.com/442/

That is just tooo too awesome!!!

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:36 pm UTC

This is really cool BlitzGirl! Thanks so much!

dgbrt
Location: Space, Milkyway, Solar System, Earth, Europe and finally Germany

Postby dgbrt » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:36 pm UTC

Red Rain is coming down...

woods

Postby woods » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:36 pm UTC

Current frames traveled. Thought I would update this before I am gone for another 14 Newpix.

Current.jpg

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:36 pm UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:Dang, that's dark. What happened to the childlike innocence and wonder early on in OTC? You know, when people were saying this was a metaphor for Randall/his gf/his baby/the world having cancer/having a miscarriage/dying?
<snip>

Don't worry. Hopefully the Party Pages and the Bagocalpyse will reassure you that the Thread is definitely regressing in maturity level.

descor wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:<snip>
Although, I wonder...
Has Randall read it all?

That question must be bordering on heretical ... for anyone else I'd be fetching the melted chocolate and comfy chair, I feel I have to let you off though!

I was just worried he might be stuck somewhere in the Past, around the Time of the Loopists' heyday. I would rather he not be Questing through the Thread, because then he might have not have Time left for Time!

Glad you like it, buffygirl and Latent22! :D You're welcome!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

BlitzGirl: are you updating your location on every NewPage now?

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

descor wrote:This was my suggestion for the Sandcastle Eon:<snip>

Ah, I see, there is now both an Eras page and a Periods page which disagree with each other. I like yours because it is colorful. Should we merge the two pages or allow them to exist in parallel possibly with links to each other as completing historical taxonomies.

edit: hmm they do seem to kind of point to each other in a way, and they don't seem to be represented as different theories so maybe their conflicts are unintentional
Last edited by jovialbard on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

xspeedballx

Postby xspeedballx » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

Brokebag Mountain: Two in the Bag

Sorry.. I thought of it on my way home. I had to...

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:43 pm UTC

I wake from coma and now have 9 pages to read!
You guys have been busy.
It seems to me that they have not really left the original beach yet. They have just been walking along the beach. This is why the land is so flat and featureless. We saw Cueball stop and stair towards us once but he was just looking out at the 'water'. Someone has probably already mentioned this a few times but I haven't caught up yet!

Edit: As Pope of the page I declare that anyone posting on this page must give BlitzGirl a present!
Edit2: This includes you BlitzGirl!
Edit3: And here is my present:
Last edited by Latent22 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:48 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:44 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:BlitzGirl: are you updating your location on every NewPage now?

Yes, right now I'm keeping track of my location in Time. You will be able to tell when I coma or go Outside as my location will not update to match the Newpage. :wink:

In fact, now seems like a good Time to pop out for a while. Tell Cuegan not to do anything exciting while I'm gone!
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

*exhales*

Oooookay! Greetings. I've wanted to make an account since the beginning of (t)(T)ime, but I made myself hold back until I'd finished reading this thread completely and when work got a little less hectic. Which is now! I was keeping up when the Madness dissipated, but then I got hit with a new project at work and then bam, 100+ more pages when I next sat down to read this.

...Time is awesome. And I just sang BlitzGirl's song to myself and it got stuck in my head while I was working out. Also awesome.

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

xspeedballx wrote:Brokebag Mountain: Two in the Bag

Sorry.. I thought of it on my way home. I had to...

Added to the Wiki.
And now I add my final pun since there's finally 1001 frames.1
1001: A Time Odyssey

1according to the Book of Aubron.

EDIT: added a link to the pun list.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:49 pm UTC

So if it was a quarter turn, and they are walking along the coast, is the sea from our point of view behind them or in front of them?

Also:
Breaking Bag

xspeedballx's pun inspired me to this
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”