1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

AK49BWL

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AK49BWL » Wed May 01, 2013 4:26 am UTC

Comatime... But before I do...

Latent22 wrote:
AK49BWL wrote:
Helper wrote:
AK49BWL wrote:
Helper wrote:
AK49BWL wrote:He lives!

That would be the obvious conclusion, wouldn't it? :twisted:

Well technically, no, given his, umm... Inorganic state :lol:

Ooops. Wait, is a human-zombie better or worse than a computer-zombie?

Hmm. I think worse, as a computer-zombie can be de-zombiefied by reprogramming. Human zombies just zombie around.. And I'm certain no one has figured out how to reprogram1 a brain just yet.

1: Reprogram? Re..Enliven? Rejuvenate? Hell I dunno.

Yes they have. Warm Bodies

Edit: Does anyone here have a really cute boy/girlfirend and willing to take one for the team?

Well I'll be... YOU CAN'T HAVE MINE :evil:
Follower of the One True Comic

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 01, 2013 4:27 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:
Opiboble wrote:okay, off to get sustenance, back eventually, wish me luck

Luck

Thank you, it helped
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 01, 2013 4:29 am UTC

edo wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Helper wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Latent22 wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Hey! 400th post!!! Surely this is a time for a commemorative speech???

Speech! Speech! Speech!

Wait Helper can't post his speech because then it would be 401 posts! Maybe in an edit instead...

Is it proper etiquette to insert a retroactive "penis"?

It is, but you have to be careful, otherwise you end up with a retroactive pregnancy, and of course a retroactive baby. Which is dangerously close to 'radioactive baby'. Which would be awesome.

Anyway, 400th is edited.

A glow in the baby would be AWESOME!!! Also thank you for the thank you.
but if the baby is radioactive won't it get... cancer?

:shock:

We will fix that later...
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

katakombe

Postby katakombe » Wed May 01, 2013 4:32 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:To return for the moment to a very old subtopic... It's pretty clear at this point that Cuegan's world is three dimensional after all, despite much speculation and near consensus, hundreds of newpages ago, that it was not.

The best argument for the lack of a complete third dimension was the effectiveness of the first dike (dyke), which appeared to somehow prevent any semencoffeecancerbaby from flowing around it. However, there is an alternative plausible explanation for that, which I don't recall seeing brought up. That is, if the edge of the sea (which is big and does what it wants) at the sandcastling place were actually the narrow tip of an inlet. That would require there to be slightly higher ground, at the cancerbabycoffeesemen's edge, in front of and behind the cross-sectional slice we were viewing, to contain the inlet. The first di(y)ke only needed to block off the inlet by spanning between the unseen higher ground in front and behind.

By the time of the larger second dy(i)ke, the coffeesemenbabycancer would have overflowed the sides of the original inlet and would then be approaching the castles on a wider front. So the second dyke (dike), even though it was larger, did soon allow the babycancersemencoffee to flow around it, making it less effective as we saw.

i like that theory a lot, but that still doesn't really explain why there was no erosion at all and the whole thing holds up until the water flows over the top. so i propose an addition to your theory:
what if the first di/yke was not made from sand alone, what if in between two frames megan dug a plank of wood into the ground and just heaped the sand around the sides to stabilize it?

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Wed May 01, 2013 4:35 am UTC

katakombe wrote:
Rule110 wrote:To return for the moment to a very old subtopic... It's pretty clear at this point that Cuegan's world is three dimensional after all, despite much speculation and near consensus, hundreds of newpages ago, that it was not.

The best argument for the lack of a complete third dimension was the effectiveness of the first dike (dyke), which appeared to somehow prevent any semencoffeecancerbaby from flowing around it. However, there is an alternative plausible explanation for that, which I don't recall seeing brought up. That is, if the edge of the sea (which is big and does what it wants) at the sandcastling place were actually the narrow tip of an inlet. That would require there to be slightly higher ground, at the cancerbabycoffeesemen's edge, in front of and behind the cross-sectional slice we were viewing, to contain the inlet. The first di(y)ke only needed to block off the inlet by spanning between the unseen higher ground in front and behind.

By the time of the larger second dy(i)ke, the coffeesemenbabycancer would have overflowed the sides of the original inlet and would then be approaching the castles on a wider front. So the second dyke (dike), even though it was larger, did soon allow the babycancersemencoffee to flow around it, making it less effective as we saw.

i like that theory a lot, but that still doesn't really explain why there was no erosion at all and the whole thing holds up until the water flows over the top. so i propose an addition to your theory:
what if the first di/yke was not made from sand alone, what if in between two frames megan dug a plank of wood into the ground and just heaped the sand around the sides to stabilize it?

I think she used either a condom or a diaphragm and used that to cover the 'sand'. What else could hold back the semencaffeinecancerbabies so well!

Edit: think mini sandbags...

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Wed May 01, 2013 4:42 am UTC

Valarya wrote:Giant growth worms, leeching on to suck all the memory out of semencaffeinatedcancerbaconicesandsnowwhatevers so loopiests1 have something to talk about.

1 Not a typo.

Beat you by a month. Probably not a record for the OTT, but not bad.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

beargarden
Cardinal

Postby beargarden » Wed May 01, 2013 4:44 am UTC

I don't like these posts about artifacts from image creation. Surely Randall would not be that careless? Those lines look pretty purposeful.
To me it looks like little roots sprouting into the ground, but that's a wild guess.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Wed May 01, 2013 4:55 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:Am I allowed to do the New Comic thing?
http://xkcd.com/1206/
I mean I've seen others do it.

This task was assigned to me as my duty, but if you'd care to relieve me somewhat of this burden, I'm quite happy to share.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Wed May 01, 2013 4:56 am UTC

beargarden wrote:I don't like these posts about artifacts from image creation. Surely Randall would not be that careless? Those lines look pretty purposeful.
To me it looks like little roots sprouting into the ground, but that's a wild guess.

Yeah, I really can't imagine anything that would create 'artifacts' like that...
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Wed May 01, 2013 4:57 am UTC

beargarden wrote:I don't like these posts about artifacts from image creation. Surely Randall would not be that careless? Those lines look pretty purposeful.

Its hard to be 100% certain either way. It is possible he will go back and fix the frames when someone points it out to him. The problem with him fixing it though as it would confirm it was a drawing mistake. He has fixed some past frames before so it is possible.

So we should keep an eye on these frames in the future for any changes anyway.

The next frame may be affected as well but It shouldn't be in the frame after that as he would have started to draw the frame from scratch again and I don't think he would make the same mistake twice! If it is still there then maybe it is not a mistake at all. We have to wait for it...

Helper wrote:

Yeah, I really can't imagine anything that would create 'artifacts' like that...

Randall-at-work2.gif
Randall-at-work2.gif (7 KiB) Viewed 14776 times

This shows how such artifacts would be created by drawing lines and then filling them in to make a new random landscape. If this was done with a non black colour you would end up with the exact result we see in the frame.

Edit: updated gif to make edits grey instead of black
Last edited by Latent22 on Wed May 01, 2013 5:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Helper

Postby Helper » Wed May 01, 2013 5:00 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:

Its hard to be 100% certain either way. It is possible he will go back and fix the frames when someone points it out to him. The problem with him fixing it though as it would confirm it was a drawing mistake. He has fixed some past frames before so it is possible.

The next frame may be affected as well but It shouldn't be in the frame after that as he would have started to draw the frame from scratch again and I don't think he would make the same mistake twice! If it is still there then maybe it is not a mistake at all. We have to wait for it...

...what. XKCD itself doesn't (yet) provide a way to view past Time frames...

Also, Image.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Wed May 01, 2013 5:06 am UTC

Helper wrote:
Latent22 wrote:

...what. XKCD itself doesn't (yet) provide a way to view past Time frames...

Also,
Spoiler:

That would be among the things Your Holiness missed while AFK. It was discovered that at least one of the frames from quite near the Beginning of Time had actually been replaced with another, similar image with the same "hash" filename, perhaps to fix the drawing of how Cueball's head is attached. So, there is precedent.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Helper

Postby Helper » Wed May 01, 2013 5:10 am UTC

KarMann wrote:That would be among the things Your Holiness missed while AFK. It was discovered that at least one of the frames from quite near the Beginning of Time had actually been replaced with another, similar image with the same "hash" filename, perhaps to fix the drawing of how Cueball's head is attached. So, there is precedent.

Whoa. But I though the Lord prided himself on non-revisionism? Weird.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Wed May 01, 2013 5:11 am UTC

I have decided to make a vow as a Temporal Knight:

I, Sir Tristram, the Simple, Defender of The One True Comic, hereby swear by Lord Randall's holy name to defend all cats in the One True Comic or the One True Thread. All those who wish to harm any of the aforementioned cats will be met with swift retribution by the Katze Sword1. My knightly assistant shall be Sir3 Lena4 Sleepsalot5, Assistant Guardian of the Time Cats. From this moment forth my knightly name shall become, Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic.

You have been warned!

1 I renamed my Great Sword of +1 awesomeness2.
2 See the items awarded to a Temporal Knight http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/The_Knights_Temporal
3 A she but Dame doesn't seem right.
4 The cat in my hat.
5 She only sleepsalot in my avatar.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Wed May 01, 2013 5:14 am UTC

New Mustard frame

This frame shows them moving on sideways. But he has used the same image from the last frame and added some more Mustard on top. So its interesting to learn that he keeps adding to his existing frames like this. Also he has used the same wrong mustard colour. The lines can't be intentional as they are in the exact same place as the last frame even though the scene is moved on
Attachments
Grey2.png
Grey2.png (3.28 KiB) Viewed 14764 times

vvn

Postby vvn » Wed May 01, 2013 5:20 am UTC

Helper wrote:Whoa. But I though the Lord prided himself on non-revisionism? Weird.

And in previous universes Moving Sidewalks is known to have been changed due to error. But, I agree, it does not sit right with me.

Add:

Latent22 wrote:New Mustard frame

This frame shows them moving on sideways. But he has used the same image from the last frame and added some more Mustard on top. So its interesting to learn that he keeps adding to his existing frames like this. Also he has used the same wrong mustard colour. The lines can't be intentional as they are in the exact same place as the last frame even though the scene is moved on

Another compelling argument.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Wed May 01, 2013 5:22 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:I have decided to make a vow as a Temporal Knight:

I, Sir Tristram, the Simple, Defender of The One True Comic, hereby swear by Lord Randall's holy name to defend all cats in the One True Comic or the One True Thread. All those who wish to harm any of the aforementioned cats will be met with swift retribution by the Katze Sword1. My knightly assistant shall be Sir3 Lena4 Sleepsalot5, Assistant Guardian of the Time Cats. From this moment forth my knightly name shall become, Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic.

You have been warned!

2 See the items awarded to a Temporal Knight http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/The_Knights_Temporal
4 The cat in my hat.

Well, I was just about to post the one, so I suppose now I might as well make two mediæval references at once. Tman2nd, did you know that there's actually a type of sword called a Katzbalger?

Secondly, this has been on my mind for quite a while now, and I finally happened to be walking past it again today, so, without further ado:
2013-04-30 11.39.34-scale-816x460.jpg
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

just brew it!

Postby just brew it! » Wed May 01, 2013 5:23 am UTC

Disturbing that the cracks/artifacts/whatever did not change between frames 1008 and 1009, where a scene change obviously occurred.

It's a rift in the space-time continuum. Run!

Edit: D'oh, someone else pointed that out while I was posting.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Wed May 01, 2013 5:27 am UTC

just brew it! wrote:Disturbing that the cracks/artifacts/whatever did not change between frames 1008 and 1009, where a scene change obviously occurred.

It's a rift in the space-time continuum. Run!

Edit: D'oh, someone else pointed that out while I was posting.

Maybe its not a mistake and in fact the top level of the ground is sliding sideways as they walk. So they think they are going somewhere but really they are just walking on a giant treadmill!

They are like Rats in a maze!!!

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Wed May 01, 2013 5:27 am UTC

KarMann wrote:

You have been warned!

4 The cat in my hat.

Well, I was just about to post the one, so I suppose now I might as well make two mediæval references at once. Tman2nd, did you know that there's actually a type of sword called a Katzbalger?

I had no idea. I just looked up the word "cat" in various languages and settled on German. :P
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Wed May 01, 2013 5:31 am UTC

Has anybody done this yet?

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Wed May 01, 2013 5:33 am UTC

Helper wrote:
KarMann wrote:That would be among the things Your Holiness missed while AFK. It was discovered that at least one of the frames from quite near the Beginning of Time had actually been replaced with another, similar image with the same "hash" filename, perhaps to fix the drawing of how Cueball's head is attached. So, there is precedent.

Actually we found proof of many edits to the history of Time. The original files had Timestamps in them showing when he did changes to the comic strips. This lead to the discovery of two versions of frame 20 which was edited 15 hours after it showed up.

Here is a graph showing when he edited frames which happened before they were released most of the time but sometimes he did some last minute changes. Also we found he didn't do it all before hand and he kept doing new batches over time extending the comic.
Time Mofied.png

hours after posting this he went back and modified all the frames to hide the timestamps...

Now they are all hidden and we don't know when he is producing the new frames.

Actaeus wrote:Has anybody done this yet?

you could add in vertical Black lines to make it look like a Comic strip :)
Last edited by Latent22 on Wed May 01, 2013 5:36 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Wed May 01, 2013 5:36 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:
KarMann wrote:

You have been warned!

4 The cat in my hat.

I had no idea. I just looked up the word "cat" in various languages and settled on German. :P

Well, then, I think it's time to add "Landsknecht of Time" to your titles. :)
Added: That's "Landsknecht von der Zeit," if you prefer.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Helper

Postby Helper » Wed May 01, 2013 5:39 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:
Helper wrote:

Actually we found proof of many edits to the history of Time. The original files had Timestamps in them showing when he did changes to the comic strips. This lead to the discovery of two versions of frame 20 which was edited 15 hours after it showed up.

Here is a graph showing when he edited frames which happened before they were released most of the time but sometimes he did some last minute changes. Also we found he didn't do it all before hand and he kept doing new batches over time extending the comic.
Time Mofied.png

hours after posting this he went back and modified all the frames to hide the timestamps...

Now they are all hidden and we don't know when he is producing the new frames.

Freaky. To be completely off-topic...
That reminds me of early 2012. I was poking around in WinDirStat and noticed there were folders timestamped for 12-21-2012 at (I think) 12:00 AM. It turned out that there were a number of fonts in the Fonts folder with the timestamp. Of course, nothing ever happened; even when the date came and went, the Fonts folder couldn't be bothered to blow up or anything! Talk about disappointing.

beargarden
Cardinal

Postby beargarden » Wed May 01, 2013 5:40 am UTC

Unless there's some sort of metaphorical thing going on? Like, travelling but not moving. Or fading out the travelling scene to reveal a new, static scene.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Wed May 01, 2013 5:46 am UTC

Helper wrote:Freaky. To be completely off-topic...
That reminds me of early 2012. I was poking around in WinDirStat and noticed there were folders timestamped for 12-21-2012 at (I think) 12:00 AM. It turned out that there were a number of fonts in the Fonts folder with the timestamp. Of course, nothing ever happened; even when the date came and went, the Fonts folder couldn't be bothered to blow up or anything! Talk about disappointing.

hehe some font editor had a sense of humor I guess :)

One interesting thing the timestamp hiding proves is that the OTT is effecting the OTC! But in some ways finding these mistakes like leaving the timestamps in the files or using the wrong fill colour are interesting to look at but they kind of kill the mystery a bit :(

Copernicium112

Postby Copernicium112 » Wed May 01, 2013 5:46 am UTC

beargarden wrote:

Unless there's some sort of metaphorical thing going on? Like, travelling but not moving. Or fading out the travelling scene to reveal a new, static scene.

As much as I would like to believe in some higher explanation for the presence of the lines and mustard, the lines just don't seem to signify anything. And if this were some sort of fading, I would expect more...elegance? I might have to side with the artifact theory on this one :?

Unless -- and this is probably a bit too Outsidey an idea -- Lord Randall specifically planted evidence of process in the frames as some sort of artistic reference, calling attention to the materiality of art.
Crescat tempus; vita excolatur

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Wed May 01, 2013 5:49 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:[much blasphemy attacking the immutability of Time]
Actaeus wrote:Has anybody done this yet?

you could add in vertical Black lines to make it look like a Comic strip :)

Nah, I rather like the time-lapsey feel of this version.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Wed May 01, 2013 5:49 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
tman2nd wrote:
KarMann wrote:

You have been warned!

4 The cat in my hat.

Well, then, I think it's time to add "Landsknecht of Time" to your titles. :)
Added: That's "Landsknecht von der Zeit," if you prefer.

Sigged.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

beargarden
Cardinal

Postby beargarden » Wed May 01, 2013 5:57 am UTC

I think I missed this "mustard"...

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:00 am UTC

MOREGREYONG
beargarden wrote:I think I missed this "mustard"...

Opiboble wrote:
Latent22 wrote:What the fudge is up with that grey bit on top?

Maybe they are walking on gray-poupon mustard.

PS: my wife is awesome.

NOTE: She told me to say that... but she is right.

Helper wrote:I think I smell a Transitioning. Or it could be mustard gas.

EDIT: Holy fuck. I didn't see Opi's post before I posted this. 0_0.

Quotes from just after the grey stuff showed up

Last edited by Latent22 on Wed May 01, 2013 6:04 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

vvn

Postby vvn » Wed May 01, 2013 6:01 am UTC

beargarden wrote:I think I missed this "mustard"...

Grey Poupon Mustard

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 01, 2013 6:05 am UTC

Ah, a mountain of responses! *nostalgia*

vvn wrote:The milk carton worked!!!!

Wow, those things really DO work. :shock: Greetings to Helper-that-was-lost-but-now-is-found, Pope of the pastpages!

HAL9000 wrote:
Goggalor wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:This is honestly the best thing I've seen all day.
Thought I think I deserve a mention. Maybe in the empty second-to-last frame.

It's not actually empty. Look closer or try tilting your monitor up or down (if possible).

Oh, didn't catch that. Even better!
Still think I should be in there though...

Sorry, only one milk carton per comic. Those are powerful things, apparently. Should be used sparingly and with the utmost caution.
(You were Missing when the comic was created, and like Helper, we worried you might not return!)

jjjdavidson wrote:First, gift for Blitzgirl: I didn't have time to run to the store, so here's an easter egg, slightly stale.
Spoiler:
Your wonderful spoof of #442 has gone into my rotating desktop wallpaper folder. (My monitor's turned to portrait, so it's a perfect fit.)

Yay! Another Present present! Although...Easter happened somewhere around Newpage 200, when Megan was still working on her Mound...probably shouldn't eat it. *puts in pocket anyway*

Caswallon wrote:<snip>Edit: Doh! And My uhh... gift to Blitzgirl... is... *rummages in pockets* This amazing Temporal Illuminati (which don't exist) TIME FUZZ!! No? Then, I give the gift of empathy, I wouldn't want to get some pocket lint either, yuck!

Yay empathy! Does it fit in a pocket?

jovialbard wrote:Despite that the papacy has been disbanded several times I will offer a gift for posting on this page, also I am posting on this page as an excuse to offer a gift, so it works out quite nicely:

Spoiler:
Time is a changing thing
and it has a marvelous thread
bound by its hover text
i fell into a thread of time

i fell into a growing thread of time
i read on on on
and the pages went higher

and it grows grows grows
that thread of time
that thread of time

the songs, graphs, and hats are neat
when minds like ours meet
we're coma-less for far to long
as the maddness carries on

i read on on on

and it grows grows grows
that thread of time
that thread of time

Time is a fickle thing
the more you have the more you need
bound by our simple creed
we wait for it while we read

i read on on on

and it grows grows grows
that thread of time
that thread of time

edit: improved that first verse I think. I should really put more time into my presents up front instead of always editing my posts :) . But now I must hurry outside for some stuffs.

Wonderful! :D

buffygirl wrote:First, My Present for BlitzGirl:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl Medal of Honor.jpg

Ooh, shiny! And Time-y! Thanks, buffygirl!

StratPlayer wrote:
patzer wrote:
123Adz321 wrote:I'm starting to think there should be a whole new class of era/eon: The forum era/eons.
This would be things such as the bag era, papal elections, hats, and so on. It could even have fancy graphs and stuff!

Interesting idea, but the forum eras would be less easy to define. Also, some of the periods are influenced by the forum- the What Period-Dark Period boundary and the Age of the Slow Pixel-Great Expansion boundary were defined by a change in mood on the forum.

I don't think so. We're currently in the era of chaos. I believe it started on NewPage 1...

That sounds about right. I vote for the Great Era of Chaos, too. Because to do the eon thing properly, you would have to pay as much attention to the thread of Time as we currently do to each newpix of Time. Which means reading it all. And that way lies Madness...

HAL9000 wrote:
Valarya wrote:I miss buffygirl & Blitzgirl. my possie of
Spoiler:
other girls.

you thought i was gonna say pussies, didn't you? pervert

I was expecting 'pustules,' actually.

Possums?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Wed May 01, 2013 6:13 am UTC

xspeedballx wrote:This may be heresy.
Spoiler:
But hear me out. Why are we doing what we are told? Why are we waiting for it? Whether it is something unknown or time itself. Should we not fill our days with bigger things and let it come to us with hat in hand? Let it explain itself? We are slowly watching a journey of two travelers unravel. Two travelers who at first spent time waiting, and then time creating, and now time exploring. Ultimately in one way or another Time is not moving forward for us. We are all still stuck 30+ days ago. Watching the same moment in time. New comics have appeared, real time has marched on, but we keep waiting for this one spot of time to be relevant. At the expense of what?

When Time ends.. we will find Time is marching on. We put ourselves in stasis waiting for the End of Time, or It. I say no more! These Lovecraftian devices of time of within a span of a moment must be broken away from before our sanity is ground away. I fear for our vision of the real world once our vision of Time has ended.

Yes. Definitely heresy. Possibly true, but the worst heresies are the true ones.

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed May 01, 2013 6:28 am UTC

445/480. Breaking again to coma and work, but I'll try to make one huge sprint afterward. Wish me luck! (I half expect it'll take an extra day, based on my speed today, but we'll see what happens. Easy reading is fast reading and rumor has it the reading gets easier soon...)

Wall of replies:
Spoiler:
ajc wrote:Hello all. I have been following the OTC since I noticed the page had changed. I rid myself of a circadian rhythm years ago allowing me to follow the OTC and this thread day and night without trouble. Never has anything lured me away from the outside world as much as this. Lurking through the past until my arrival in the present has been as enticing as Time itself.
I speak to you now because moments ago I came across a discrepancy between the pngs I have manually saved and the automatically saved and "frozen" pages of the OTC. I would like to share my findings but the outside will shortly drag me away. I hope you will wait for me if Time has not, sadly, ended before my return...

I bring this back from the depths of the Past, where it probably got stuck in moderation for too long. Sadly the poster in question only has 1 post so I see he/she has not returned... I wonder if they meant the same timestamp change a few of you already noted?

Angelastic wrote:Don't worry, everyone! Everything will be all white in the end. If it's not all white, then it's not the end!

Ninjas. Ninjas errywhere. I said more or less exactly the same thing (minus the pun) in one of my walls earlier today without even seeing this.

BlitzGirl wrote:*stumbles out of Time vortex*

*blinks*

Wow. So this is Present Time, huh?

...Hi, everybody! :D

Woot! I have found The Moment of Meeting! Well done, BlitzGirl!
One of these days we'll be in the same present... eventually... XD

AluisioASG wrote:Ah, time to do that a third one last time:
SHEEPLE!

*scorches through waves of sheeple* RAIIIIIII!
*pauses to send a message to the future* You know, every time you do that they kill kittens until somebody stops them...

Seen in a sig:
jjjdavidson wrote:WARNING! New postsplosion begins on page 473! Hurry! Hurry!

Oh, so that's why a solid chunk of my progress got erased. I wondered what had happened. Oh well, onward!

tastony wrote:As we appear to be approaching end times, I just wanted to say thanks on behalf of the multitudes of lurkers and infrequent posters here for the amazing journey that all you cardinals, popes, milliners, poets, colour analysts, graphists, pilgrims through time, etc have taken us on. I've been quietly lurking since the 2nd or 3rd newpic, and this has turned into something that none of us could have imagined.

I was blown away by the scale of Click and Drag when it came out, and never imagined I'd see anything like again. Well, I have. To quote that masterpiece:
From the stories
I expected the world to be sad.
And it was.
And I expected it to be wonderful.
And it was.
I just didn't expect it to be so BIG

I expected it to be beautiful.
And it was.
I expected it be brilliant.
And it was.
I just didn't expect it to be so BIG

And I didn't want it to end...

Now, just waiting for it.

Amen to that.
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

Helper

Postby Helper » Wed May 01, 2013 6:30 am UTC

Night everybody, gotta coma. <3

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Wed May 01, 2013 6:33 am UTC

Oh well... decomaed and found myself 10 Newpages behind, ketching up from 470... What the hell has happened?`Gonna find out ....

But first the new Plainthread for angelastic.

Then: Concerning the dimensionality: Maybe it is a 2D procejtion of a 3D world. Would explain a lot of things.

Now: Reading on...

Ah, Pope Helper is back! Very cool and: Welcome back Your Holiness!
This is getting crowded, HAL is back too, maybe there was some jupitarian eclipse distorting the communication.

While blitzing to the Present, I couldn't help notice pope Helper has NO HAT! Buffygirl to the rescue!
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Wed May 01, 2013 6:34 am UTC

Helper wrote:Night everybody, gotta coma. <3

Don't disappear this time. :P
PhoenixRising wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Ah, time to do that a third one last time:
SHEEPLE!

*scorches through waves of sheeple* RAIIIIIII!
*pauses to send a message to the future* You know, every time you do that they kill kittens until somebody stops them...

*Adds sheeple to list of enemies*

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Wed May 01, 2013 6:34 am UTC

Helper wrote:Night everybody, gotta coma. <3

Morning y'all, back from coma
(Actually, also back to work...)
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Wed May 01, 2013 6:38 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:While blitzing to the Present, I couldn't help notice pope Helper has NO HAT! Buffygirl to the rescue!

But for a Pope, not a normal hat... A zucchetto! :mrgreen:
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”