1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Qalyar

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Qalyar » Wed May 01, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
TheMinim wrote:There will be a pot of gold at the end of this Time-rainbow. Unfortunately, it will all be in black and white, so we'll theorise that it's banana fudge souffle or something.

Only if the words "banana," "fudge," and "souffle," are each individual euphemisms for other things...

The first two are fairly obvious (at least to my apparently-10-year-old brain), but I'm somewhat unsure what "souffle" could be a euphemism for.

It would have to be something that rises, but could collapse limply if handled improperly. But I don't think anything like that needs euphemized. There's nothing wrong with talking about balloons, after all!

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Wed May 01, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

hmm, if I'm going to continue posting here, I really should have an avatar of some kind... Otherwise in the unlikely event that I have a hat bestowed upon me, there will be nothing on which to place it.

I may or may not be using prepositional phrases incorrectly. Sue me.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed May 01, 2013 7:13 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
TheMinim wrote:There will be a pot of gold at the end of this Time-rainbow. Unfortunately, it will all be in black and white, so we'll theorise that it's banana fudge souffle or something.

Only if the words "banana," "fudge," and "souffle," are each individual euphemisms for other things...

The first two are fairly obvious (at least to my apparently-10-year-old brain), but I'm somewhat unsure what "souffle" could be a euphemism for.

Wouldn't a souffle be the product of the two ingredients? So something about the vigorous motion of the banana in the... ewww

edit: wow other people responded to that fast, I guess lots of us have 10-year-old brains.
Last edited by jovialbard on Wed May 01, 2013 7:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Wed May 01, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
mathrec wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:...Now I remember 1037.

I don't think I can include alt-text here. Anyway, which 1037 did you remember

All of them. :D
I remembered the whole mad quest that Mr. Munroe (later to become Lord Randall) sent us on to find all of the different inputs and the variations in the comic.

woods

Postby woods » Wed May 01, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

woods wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
woods wrote:Re-stitching to include the river1:

The attachment Current.jpg is no longer available

1Small, possibly with a hint of baby

Wouldn't it be possible to take a shot of the Sandcastle, flip so that we're seeing it from "behind" and stitch it to the far left of this image to show "coast to coast"? That is, assuming they've been traveling in a straight line away from the Sandcastle?

Yep, I can do that. Though I do not think they are walking in the way that you say they are. But either way, I will get to it when I have a chance. It may be a Newpix before I can though.

Updated with the castle at the other end.
Current with castle.jpg

Also, it should be noted, do not use the above picture to measure the water level, or total elevation of the ground. Each frame has been adjusted for height to make it stitch correctly, so nothing is accurate.

Though, I did take the last castle frame (Prefade) and the frame with the river and overlay them. Use the below picture to measure water height and elevation difference. The river was higher by quite a few pixels...

overlay water level.jpg

*Edited for clarity.
Last edited by woods on Wed May 01, 2013 7:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Montov

Postby Montov » Wed May 01, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

Easiest. Proposal. Ever.

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Wed May 01, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

Montov wrote:Easiest. Proposal. Ever.

So easy he didn't even know he did it. Hmm I wonder if that would be a sneaky way for a lonely/desperate older single lady to snag an unsuspecting husband? Sadly I, as an already-claimed male, will never have the opportunity to test this method of courtship.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed May 01, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:Somebody should get at least half a dozen people together, record them speaking the Litany, and post it on YouTube.

That could be another fun project, I could do that myself with a half-dozen different accents or character voices or so. Wonder how that would turn out. Although the Outside is pressing me hard these days, hard I tells ya.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 01, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
jetpac wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

Wouldn't a souffle be the product of the two ingredients? So something about the vigorous motion of the banana in the... ewww

IIRC, there's already an infamous euphemism for the frothy mixture that results from vigorous banana-fudge interaction. So "souffle" probably means something different.

jovialbard wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:Somebody should get at least half a dozen people together, record them speaking the Litany, and post it on YouTube.

That could be another fun project, I could do that myself with a half-dozen different accents or character voices or so. Wonder how that would turn out. Although the Outside is pressing me hard these days, hard I tells ya.

Do it! Deny the Outside! :D
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Wed May 01, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

I officially don't know where this comic is going.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Wed May 01, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

boozledorf wrote:I officially don't know where this comic is going.

Hmm…
No one (of us) knows.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Wed May 01, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

Wait for it.

Edited for capitalization and punctuation.
Last edited by jetpac on Wed May 01, 2013 7:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

htom

Postby htom » Wed May 01, 2013 7:32 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:

Hmm…
No one (of us) knows.

Well, we know it's going to the future, dragging us along in its wake.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed May 01, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

"Yes"
"Yes what?"

"Yes there will be something awesome like chocolate cookie cake at the end of all of this"
"Are you sure it's not ethanolradiationspoiltness?"
"Umm..."
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Wed May 01, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

htom wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

Hmm…
No one (of us) knows.

Maybe it's going to the Past.
Somehow.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 01, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:

wait for it

This has been a recurring discussion, but I'm really starting to lean towards the whole, "the journey is the point, not the destination" school of thought.

But I'll have to Wait to see...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed May 01, 2013 7:37 pm UTC

btw, I'm 72.3% certain that "yes" was in reference to whether there are other rivers. I've calculated this statistically valid number by means of the truthiness theorem.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 01, 2013 7:37 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:IIRC, there's already an infamous euphemism for the frothy mixture that results from vigorous banana-fudge interaction.

The Cabana?
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Wed May 01, 2013 7:37 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
htom wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

Hmm…
No one (of us) knows.

Somehow.

Loopist heretic!

treadman

Postby treadman » Wed May 01, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
htom wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

Hmm…
No one (of us) knows.

Somehow.

I have decided to simply live in the newpix. Whatever Loopist leanings I had in the past, I gave up after the The Great Loopist Tease of 997-1000.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed May 01, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

woods wrote:
woods wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:

Current.jpg

Wouldn't it be possible to take a shot of the Sandcastle, flip so that we're seeing it from "behind" and stitch it to the far left of this image to show "coast to coast"? That is, assuming they've been traveling in a straight line away from the Sandcastle?

Yep, I can do that. Though I do not think they are walking in the way that you say they are. But either way, I will get to it when I have a chance. It may be a Newpix before I can though.

Current with castle.jpg

Also, it should be noted, do not use the above picture to measure the water level, or total elevation of the ground. Each frame has been adjusted for height to make it stitch correctly, so nothing is accurate.

Though, I did take the last castle frame (Prefade) and the frame with the river and overlay them. Use the below picture to measure water height and elevation difference. The river was higher by quite a few pixels...

overlay water level.jpg

*Edited for clarity.

I do believe your rendering of the whole of Time is accurate (up to this moment). Your comparison of water level is insightful. You have illuminated what the Creator has hidden from us. May we be forgiven and continue to wait for it.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Wed May 01, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

I'm a milk carton. I'm not sure how to feel about this. I'll go with 'happy'.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 01, 2013 7:43 pm UTC

Helper wrote:I'm a milk carton. I'm not sure how to feel about this. I'll go with 'happy'.

Yeah. I can see where it might be a little awkward... Maybe a nice chapeau from the amazingly talented buffygirl would add just the right splash of color?

sciakybros

Postby sciakybros » Wed May 01, 2013 7:43 pm UTC

woods wrote:
woods wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:

The attachment Current.jpg is no longer available

The attachment Current with castle.jpg is no longer available

The attachment overlay water level.jpg is no longer available

*Edited for clarity.

Water height is not that much different from the last frame actually....
time970 copy.png
merged 970 and 1024
time970 copy.png (11.12 KiB) Viewed 11591 times

SWO Crash

Postby SWO Crash » Wed May 01, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

treadman wrote:I have decided to simply live in the newpix. Whatever Loopist leanings I had in the past, I gave up after the The Great Loopist Tease of 997-1000.

I'm still an Iterative Loopist. What you call the Tease, I call the Second Iteration. In that one, they didn't build anything.
Think of the Iterations like layers in what the Outsiders call the Multi-Verse. Each one similar, with subtle differences. We might be at the Third Iteration - this one is by a river1, instead of by the sea2.

1 - Small
2 - Big
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.

Husband, Father, Sailor, Son.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 01, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Helper wrote:I'm a milk carton. I'm not sure how to feel about this. I'll go with 'happy'.

Yeah. I can see where it might be a little awkward... Maybe a nice chapeau from the amazingly talented buffygirl would add just the right splash of color?

*girlysqueal* :D

Milk cartons are apparently very powerful, capable of summoning ZombiePopes. And StratPlayer is correct, you still need a hat!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Wed May 01, 2013 7:45 pm UTC

Are you sure that's milk?
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Wed May 01, 2013 7:45 pm UTC

Well, you do realize that if you go missing again we will have to update the milk carton using this new milk carton avatar as the missing image (which it would only take a couple cycles of go missing -> update milk carton -> come back -> update avatar before we won't be able to see the original image which prophesied the epic journey of Megan+Cueball using bags which we are now witnessing)

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed May 01, 2013 7:47 pm UTC

Whew! Just Blitzed through 13 newpages. When on earth am I going to find time to make more hats?

Wall Posts:
HAL9000 wrote:I came back on the same page as Helper! Cool! What a coincidence! We aren't conjoined twins or anything...
no really guys we aren't

WAIT!!! Where's cmyk? Further proof that Helper and cmyk are one and the same and cannot exist in the same place at the same time!

mscha wrote:SURELOOKSLIKEARIVERONG...
Spoiler:

(Edit: no, not River Song.)

What ever happened to her anyway?

123Adz321 wrote:I'm starting to think there should be a whole new class of era/eon: The forum era/eons.
This would be things such as the bag era, papal & cardinal elections, hats, and so on. It could even have fancy graphs and stuff!

The same thought had occurred to me (FTFY with bold). And there would be a sort of overlapping or parallel thingy for things like BliztGirl - e.g.1 she started her trek during the ____ period, and arrived in the present during the _____ period.

1 Pet peeve -- the use of i.e. where it should be e.g. and vice versa.2
2 Pet peeve -- spelling or speaking the term "vice versa" as "vise-a -versa".

Edit: spelling
Last edited by buffygirl on Wed May 01, 2013 8:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed May 01, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:
"Yes"
"Yes what?"

I'll be the one to state the maybe obvious here: "Yes," the River1 is actually emptying in to the Sea2. *ducks for cover*

1small
2BIG
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Helper

Postby Helper » Wed May 01, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:Are you sure that's milk?

:cry: :cry: :cry:
...sometimes milk can smell like pennies and bleach...

airdrik wrote:Well, you do realize that if you go missing again we will have to update the milk carton using this new milk carton avatar as the missing image (which it would only take a couple cycles of go missing -> update milk carton -> come back -> update avatar before we won't be able to see the original image which prophesied the epic journey of Megan+Cueball using bags which we are now witnessing)

...suddenly, I feel like going missing!
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 01, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Milk cartons are apparently very powerful, capable of summoning ZombiePopes. And StratPlayer is correct, you still need a hat!

Oh, I absolutely agree about the incredible power of your magical images!! And I absolutely luuurrrvee mine!

But yeah, it's the Hatlessness of Helper that screams out for attention...

fatness

Postby fatness » Wed May 01, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
TheMinim wrote:
"Yes"
"Yes what?"

I'll be the one to state the maybe obvious here: "Yes," the River1 is actually emptying in to the Sea2. *ducks for cover*

1small
2BIG

Well, that should cover the next six newpix.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed May 01, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:Whew! Just Blitzed through 13 newpages. When on earth am I going to find time to make more hats?<snip>

I think the increased speed of the thread is reaching a critical mass where scholarship and artistry will need to become separate fields of study. Like how several hundred years ago a person could pretty much know everything there is to know about the field of mathematics but now that would be utterly inconceivable. We may be approaching a point where one has to choose between reading it all and making awesome things for it. Like the fading into a new era this is both a saddening and exciting prospect.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 01, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
Febrion wrote:Are you sure that's milk?

:cry: :cry: :cry:
...sometimes milk can smell like pennies and bleach...

I just noticed you new avatar all thanks to that line.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Wed May 01, 2013 7:54 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Oh, I absolutely agree about the incredible power of your magical images!! And I absolutely luuurrrvee mine!

But does the milk carton get the hat or does the image of the original avatar on the milk carton get the hat? I guess that's up to our Cardinal Milliner.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 01, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:<snip>
WAIT!!! Where's cmyk? Further proof that Helper and cmyk are one and the same and cannot exist in the same place at the same time!
<snip>

:shock: You're right....!

*eyes Helper curiously, looking for a grill-hat*

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Wed May 01, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
TheMinim wrote:
"Yes"
"Yes what?"

1small
2BIG

Hum, I'd think the obvious is "Yes, there are other rivers".
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

Helper

Postby Helper » Wed May 01, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

But does the milk carton get the hat or does the image of the original avatar on the milk carton get the hat? I guess that's up to our Cardinal Milliner.

The milk carton. Although I'm not sure about the posiitioning...

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed May 01, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:But yeah, it's the Hatlessness of Helper that screams out for attention...

ok ok ok! I'll get right on it!

hmmmmm ..... do I hat the milk carton or the "before" avatar? decisions decisions. *ninja'd*

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”