1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Thu May 02, 2013 6:34 am UTC

They *ought* to have their towels with them.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Thu May 02, 2013 6:36 am UTC

Coma'ing. Night all.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Thu May 02, 2013 6:36 am UTC

Cmyk definitely fits Helper's absence perfectly on this graph. (Remove total.)
http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/UserPostsByDay?users=cmyk,helper
I'm not sure what to think of this. :?
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu May 02, 2013 6:46 am UTC

I've seen many people adding some BlitzGirl-created elements to their avatars, so here is my meager effort. I hope it's okay, acceptable, non-heretical, and won't cause the wiki-people trouble.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 02, 2013 6:50 am UTC

Aww :D Looks acceptable to me, EternalDensity! (Though perhaps I'm biased...)

KarMann wrote:On another (older) subject: Does anyone else find themselves trying to pronounce "bboz dr yndn" as it's spelled (without semi-rot13-decryption) when looking at BlitzGirl's glorious comic?
<snip>

All the time - does this mean I've successfully rot13-sniped myself?
(The Faded panel also tends to throw me off.)

pelrigg wrote:Found in the comment section of The Economist Blog (reported early) Linked to by AluisioASG above also:
BlitzgirlHelper in reply to paean May 1st, 20:47

Die heretic! There is no "refresh." Lord Randall has put a Javascript that pushes each new frame to the followers of the One True Comic. Besides, your post is fail on so many other levels (ads? pft!). The sea is big, the river is small.

Is that our Blitzgirl???

Nope.

1. I don't register for news sites just to post comments
2. Heretics should not die (kinda harsh) but rather be covered in chocolate and licorice, as per the Inquisitor's instructions
3. I don't think I have ever used the phrase "is fail" (*English-major cringe*)
4. I certainly have never used the word "pft" before (How is that even pronounced?)
5. A true Knight Temporal would know that the correct order of our battle cry is first, "The River is Small!" and second, "The Sea is Big!" (not the reverse)
6. I would have capitalized both River and Sea, as is my custom
7. I would not burden Helper by conjoining myself to him, as he already appears to have a second personality keeping him company
8. And I always, always CamelCase my name like so: BlitzGirl (although I don't mind if others forget)

Can I please be unsuspended now?
(Unless the suspension was for something else, of course.)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu May 02, 2013 6:51 am UTC

Just noticed, 3 NewPages to 500, 150* posts to 20K. Here we go! It'll almost certainly be past before I next un-coma; questionable whether I'll coma before then.

* Well, 149 now, of course.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

GerardE

Postby GerardE » Thu May 02, 2013 6:53 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:They *ought* to have their towels with them.

No matter if they are travelling through space or through Time. How many roads must a man walk down (mice)?
Wait for IT. Business always complaining.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Thu May 02, 2013 6:55 am UTC

Helper wrote:I did nothing.

BlitzGirl wrote:1. I don't register for news sites just to post comments
2. Heretics should not die (kinda harsh) but rather be covered in chocolate and licorice, as per the Inquisitor's instructions
3. I don't think I have ever used the phrase "is fail" (*English-major cringe*)
4. I certainly have never used the word "pft" before (How is that even pronounced?)
5. A true Knight Temporal would know that the correct order of our battle cry is first, "The River is Small!" and second, "The Sea is Big!" (not the reverse)
6. I would have capitalized both River and Sea, as is my custom
7. I would not burden Helper by conjoining myself to him, as he already appears to have a second personality keeping him company
8. And I always, always CamelCase my name like so: BlitzGirl (although I don't mind if others forget)

These reports conclude the Time Foundation's Council Board's investigation. 1 member in, 0 out, 2 stale.
Last edited by AluisioASG on Thu May 02, 2013 6:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu May 02, 2013 6:55 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
pelrigg wrote:Found in the comment section of The Economist Blog (reported early) Linked to by AluisioASG above also:
Die heretic! There is no "refresh." Lord Randall has put a Javascript that pushes each new frame to the followers of the One True Comic. Besides, your post is fail on so many other levels (ads? pft!). The sea is big, the river is small.

Is that our Blitzgirl???

Nope.
[. . .]

Would you also have said "JavaScript", or does the UpperCamelCase elude you in that case?
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Thu May 02, 2013 7:00 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:But on the way to work I thought about the xkcd-Regular.otf font that I installed after "Externalities," that I was going to use for "mustard," and suddenly realized how I was reading the file extension to myself. I'll spoiler it so you can see for yourself if you've been spending too much time here. How do you read xkcd-Regular.otf?
"xkcd-Regular, the One True Font."

Well, the UTC stamp on every post also messes with my head at this point. And over-the-counter drugs will never be the same again.

le Une True Comic? (Gotta mix french and english there - le UVC doesn't have quite the same ring to it.)

I had another theory about M&C's background. Maybe it's like in Adventure Time, where the main characters routinely use advanced technology but have no idea what it is or does because the civilization that created it is long gone.

Hmm, I don't ken much about Adventure Time, but from your description I'd say it kinda sounds like Stargate 8-)

Here's another theory, which might have been suggested before:
Spoiler:
'It' is about physics. It ALL is.

BlitzGirl, I for one didn't believe it was you for a second.
Last edited by StormAngel on Thu May 02, 2013 7:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order, Protector of Othamburg
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Thu May 02, 2013 7:00 am UTC

220 YARDS1

1FURLONG

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu May 02, 2013 7:04 am UTC

StormAngel wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:I had another theory about M&C's background. Maybe it's like in Adventure Time, where the main characters routinely use advanced technology but have no idea what it is or does because the civilization that created it is long gone.

Hmm, I don't ken much about Adventure Time, but from your description I'd say it kinda sounds like Stargate 8-)

Indeed.
But “Adventure Time”, “routinely” and “technology” certainly don't fit in the same sentence. At least not where I live.
Last edited by AluisioASG on Thu May 02, 2013 7:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Selecting new quote…

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 02, 2013 7:05 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:These reports conclude the Time Foundation's Council Board's investigation. 1 member in, 0 out, 2 stale.

Yay!

KarMann wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

Is that our Blitzgirl???

Nope.
[. . .]

Would you also have said "JavaScript", or does the UpperCamelCase elude you in that case?

Ha, good point! I do tend to use "JavaScript" as well. :)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Thu May 02, 2013 7:07 am UTC

back on NP491...
Reka wrote:
spamjam wrote:...mightyswellONG

Is that an eggcorn for "might as well", or is it some obscure reference that flew way over my head?

Ooh, "eggcorn" is my new word of the day!

U wuz rite, no obscure reference. Although its source (as I use it) is obscure...amongst deadheads it's an alternate name for the Grateful Dead's song "Might As Well", penned by the fabulous Robert Hunter.

(i'm saying nothing about fortnights)100

100w00t!

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Thu May 02, 2013 7:09 am UTC

AUS wrote:
Selcouth wrote:Though, since the water bottle is visible, the river must be almost entirely dry, otherwise the bottle would be covered by water and not visible to us....

Or it's floating.

True. I seem to have forgotten physics, or maybe I assumed it was full.

"eggcorn" sounds like something eaten with a spoonerism. I'll show myself out.
Last edited by Selcouth on Thu May 02, 2013 7:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu May 02, 2013 7:10 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:These reports conclude the Time Foundation's Council Board's investigation. 1 member in, 0 out, 2 stale.

Yay!

Just for the record, Helper and cmyk are being investigated for “non-unique presence on the Council”.

EDIT: Is Cueball fishing?
Selecting new quote…

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 02, 2013 7:12 am UTC

Flotter wrote:220 YARDS1
Spoiler:

1FURLONG

Hey, you know who else could really have used a spare rope?
Spoiler:
"WILSON! I'm sorry, Wilson!!"

Although, this lasso technique might work better for a dilgunnerang than a spherical volleyball.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Thu May 02, 2013 7:14 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

Yay!

Just for the record, Helper and cmyk are being investigated for “non-unique presence on the Council”.

EDIT: Is Cueball fishing?

Looks like he's fishing for the bottle (or whatever it is) he dropped in the River.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu May 02, 2013 7:15 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Hey, you know who else could really have used a spare rope?

Muscle Man?
Selecting new quote…

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Thu May 02, 2013 7:17 am UTC

Flotter wrote:220 YARDS1
Spoiler:

1FURLONG

Well played, sir or ma'am. Well played indeed.

Added: I posted this before I read the comment where AluisioASG invoked the Teal'c "indeed", and yet that was exactly what was going through my head as I typed that last word.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Swein

Postby Swein » Thu May 02, 2013 7:59 am UTC

Yikes! If they can't swim for the bloody bottle/skin/sack/sock or whatever (me think it is a wet sock they are squeezing water from...) how are they supposed to cross the river? :?
Last edited by Swein on Thu May 02, 2013 8:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu May 02, 2013 8:01 am UTC

FISHONG
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Thu May 02, 2013 8:02 am UTC

Is it just me, or have the last few NewPices been rather on the late-ish side? I hope we're not approaching another period of truely late NewPices.

Added: Especially on my server with the continuous connection; it's six minutes late now and still waiting. The last three before this were 1-2 minutes late.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Swein

Postby Swein » Thu May 02, 2013 8:11 am UTC

KarMann wrote:Is it just me, or have the last few NewPices been rather on the late-ish side? I hope we're not approaching another period of truely late NewPices.

Added: Especially on my server with the continuous connection; it's six minutes late now and still waiting. The last three before this were 1-2 minutes late.

Not so late here, but the update is lagging terribly for each newpic. Are there millions of timewaiters out there jumping on the update button each hour?
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu May 02, 2013 8:27 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Opiboble wrote:As a note, what type of music do you like to listen to when watching The One True Comic?

And as if you couldn't tell by my avatar my choice is techno.

I've been listening to a lot of Abney Park recently. They're quite good.

Also, unrelated but important friendly reminder: please try not to double post so often. It took me a while to realize it too, so you aren't the only one.

Would it be possible to discard this peculiar rule for the OTC? The problem is that the latest page is always a spoiler for people on a Blitz, so they can't be going there to check whether their penultimate post has been protected by someone else's post before posting their ultimate post.
If you catch my drift.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Thu May 02, 2013 8:29 am UTC

Swein wrote:
KarMann wrote:Is it just me, or have the last few NewPices been rather on the late-ish side? I hope we're not approaching another period of truely late NewPices.

Not so late here, but the update is lagging terribly for each newpic. Are there millions of timewaiters out there jumping on the update button each hour?

Heh. I always wait till about ten minutes in at least, so that it's then less time until more new content. But considering the amount of time (heh) this has been going on now, I doubt* that it's cumulative server load that's slowing it down. Either we're just imagining it, there's some glitch, or it's deliberate.

*I don't have huge server experience; correct me if I'm wrong
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

Bytes

Postby Bytes » Thu May 02, 2013 8:30 am UTC

My, what exciting coma time developments!
I suppose it shouldn't be surprising he can lasso after the skilful rope work with the platform.
Sir Bytes, Waître d' of the Grains and Guardian of the Second Flag from the Right
Kethryes wrote:The Time when the future meets the past in the present is aproaching! Repent!

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Thu May 02, 2013 8:40 am UTC

LANDMARK

Vytron wrote:I've caught up to page 120!

And I've caught up with my second post in the thread!

Vytron wrote:Feel free to leave me a time capsule by replying to this message, I'll read it once I catch up with page 274 ("current page") which should be about 2 weeks from now (which would make the "current page"... I don't know which one, let me check...)

Current page is 497, and two weeks? Really? Hah!

Vytron wrote:TRIPLE NINJA'ED: Wow! And to think I won't read these three messages until a much later time! This is a new way of interacting with forums for me.

And NOW, I see people were talking about this:

Which I had already seen in ChronosDragon's sig (back in the day), but didn't know what was it about. Reminded me about the spinning dancing girl, that you can see spinning one way or the other, or see her switching directions. Just like this toroidal hourglass.

After all this time I finally get CONTEXT!

tman2nd wrote:I plan on reading the parts I missed when activity has died down alot

Well, apparently (looking at activity graphs), the content I'm reading now was posted when activity had died alot. Unless the comic ends at some point, I figure out it'll be running in waves of activity and interest is lost before there's time to read missed content (i.e. you'd rather read the new pages of content posted than going back.)

Yup, I'm not a Loopist. I'm a Foreverist. The comic can go on forever and Randall just needs to become immortal pass it on to new generations that will continue it! Like Doctor Who!

Even though the amount of white and black pixels can only be arranged in finite ways, I still hold the comic can go forever without ever repeating! Like Pi! (Or, they can just make the frames larger to get more stuff in)

- Progress rate: It took me 5 minutes to read 5 hours of content. Gives the illusion of being able to catch up -

Worth replaying:

:shock: - Can actually see the sky as sand now, can't believe how well it works.

Cross-progress: Blitzgirl was in 173. I'm starting 276 - 221 pages behind; 197 till Postplosion.
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Thu May 02, 2013 8:41 am UTC

Forgive me if this has already been discussed to death, but I don't remember seeing #1160 mentioned in this needle-pulled-thing.
If this isn't foreshadowing, then what is.

How long has Randall been planning Time?

Also, going back another 30 comics, #1130 has some interesting advice1 for us Time-obsessed people:
Spoiler:

1 that we won't follow, naturally.
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order, Protector of Othamburg
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu May 02, 2013 8:43 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
KarMann wrote:Can I sell the ham & cheese sandwiches? They'd work pretty well with my sense of humour. :D

Added: On the other hand, given my overall posting rate within the OTT, perhaps spam would be more appropriate than ham.

I am merely the archdeacon of ham and cheese sandwiches, not of ham and cheese sandwichmongery, so you are free, my child, to spread the ham and cheese sandwiches (but not the butter, and spam should only be used on reluctant converts) far and wide to embiggen your fellow waiters. If you wish, I will first bless the ham and cheese sandwiches y--ah--you waaah--you wish taah---CHOOO! :oops: And the sandwiches have received my blessing.

Should I just tell them the blessing is mustard, then?

Won't work. Mustard's grey not green.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Swein

Postby Swein » Thu May 02, 2013 9:09 am UTC

IS NOBODY UPLOADONG?
bottlefishing2.png
bottlefishing2.png (3.44 KiB) Viewed 15165 times

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 02, 2013 9:10 am UTC

MAHJONGGGGGGGG...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Swein

Postby Swein » Thu May 02, 2013 9:10 am UTC

Ten cockies on that none of them makes it!

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu May 02, 2013 9:12 am UTC

Swein wrote:Ten cockies on that none of them makes it!

Not sure if intentional or misspelling...
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Swein

Postby Swein » Thu May 02, 2013 9:17 am UTC

patzer wrote:
Swein wrote:Ten cockies on that none of them makes it!

Not sure if intentional or misspelling...

Unintentional! My grasp on that exotic language of the islands is somewhat shaky. :oops:
Though not too bad if it had been intentional... :P

Bytes

Postby Bytes » Thu May 02, 2013 9:20 am UTC

I find it strange that this bottle appears to not be travelling down the river.
Does this river not flow? Or are they actually moving along the bank between frames?
Sir Bytes, Waître d' of the Grains and Guardian of the Second Flag from the Right
Kethryes wrote:The Time when the future meets the past in the present is aproaching! Repent!

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu May 02, 2013 9:24 am UTC

And what is a steambottle?

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu May 02, 2013 9:28 am UTC

My prediction is that they'll get it, but not with the rope.
Then again, none of my predictions have come to fruition in the OTCØ

ØThis is my first prediction, so it must be true
1No, no footnote mess this time. Contain yourself!
2ok.

PS: Can I mess in the postscript then?
PPS: Well this time then. If you really need to.
PPPS: Yaay!
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Thu May 02, 2013 9:36 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:My prediction is that they'll get it, but not with the rope.
Then again, none of my predictions have come to fruition in the OTCØ

ØThis is my first prediction, so it must be true

1No, no footnote mess this time. Contain yourself!
2ok.

PS: Can I mess in the postscript then?
PPS: Well this time then. If you really need to.
PPPS: Yaay!

I have a question: If there's a footnote in someone's post which isn't referenced anywhere, should you read it?

And yay! 100 posts (all in this topic :P)

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu May 02, 2013 9:40 am UTC

No you shouldn't. That's like reading somebodies diary!
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”