1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

NoMouse

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby NoMouse » Fri May 03, 2013 6:12 pm UTC

mscha wrote:THEYCANNEVEREVERGOBACKONG...

If they want to understand everything, then it's going to be very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very long comic.

Edit: Perfectly ninja'd
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri May 03, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Spoiler:
htom wrote:
SBN wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
mscha wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:You mean:
[spoiler](snip)

I've asked politely before and I'll do so again: can you *please* refrain from posting this?

Isn't that what spoilers are for?

Only if they are properly labeled as to what they are spoilering. In this particular context it was pretty obvious, but one of them got to me unspoilered, and Adblock let it through.

Seriously, do you go around stuffing peanut butter in the faces of people you've been told are allergic? Stop posting the image. It hurts. Not internet hurts, physical, migraine hurts. (And that's just me, others might suffer worse than I do.)

Which part of photonic epileptic trigger do they not understand? Those things can blow right through the drugs you're taking to control your seizures. It's not the embarrassment, you're the victim of a stupid prank that played on a brain injury, it's the losing your driver's license and pilot's licenses because you've had a seizure. For a year and a decade, respectively; sometimes a job. ADA doesn't help you if your job requires one of those. Doesn't help you get to job interviews, either.

FSCKING STOP.

Didn't we stop already?
If not, I'll.

Also, sorry.

Allow me to add my own apology for inadvertently bringing this up again. I should have known better.

Opiboble wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
Opiboble wrote:NOOOO! IT GOT DAVIDSON! D: WE ARE ALL DOOMED!

The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggeraARRGH!

STOP DYING !

I keep telling you, I'm not deGGHTT!
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Fri May 03, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:
Spoiler:

If they want to understand everything, then it's going to be very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very long comic.

Edit: Perfectly ninja'd

Admittedly, yours is more accurate.

diego5wh

Postby diego5wh » Fri May 03, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
Spoiler:

AN understatement, if I've ever heard one.

On the bright side, I've made a nice graph, depicting the new posters per day since the beginning of Time.
newuser.png

nice graph.. i wonder what happen at the end of the month for that spike to show. it seems to me that anyone that post that late for the first time should be lurking for quite sometime (I lurk a lot but don't post that often, but reading every page requires crazy amounts of... time so only few do it) it would be interesting to see how many post more than a few times, also i am really curious to know how long this tread is going to go on after we are done waiting for it (if we ever are done)
Helper wrote:Dear god, even the recursion is recursing.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 03, 2013 6:16 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Spoiler:
htom wrote:
SBN wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
mscha wrote:
[spoiler](snip)

I've asked politely before and I'll do so again: can you *please* refrain from posting this?

Only if they are properly labeled as to what they are spoilering. In this particular context it was pretty obvious, but one of them got to me unspoilered, and Adblock let it through.

Seriously, do you go around stuffing peanut butter in the faces of people you've been told are allergic? Stop posting the image. It hurts. Not internet hurts, physical, migraine hurts. (And that's just me, others might suffer worse than I do.)

Which part of photonic epileptic trigger do they not understand? Those things can blow right through the drugs you're taking to control your seizures. It's not the embarrassment, you're the victim of a stupid prank that played on a brain injury, it's the losing your driver's license and pilot's licenses because you've had a seizure. For a year and a decade, respectively; sometimes a job. ADA doesn't help you if your job requires one of those. Doesn't help you get to job interviews, either.

FSCKING STOP.

Didn't we stop already?
If not, I'll.

Also, sorry.

Allow me to add my own apology for inadvertently bringing this up again. I should have known better.

Opiboble wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
Opiboble wrote:NOOOO! IT GOT DAVIDSON! D: WE ARE ALL DOOMED!

The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggeraARRGH!

STOP DYING !

I keep telling you, I'm not deGGHTT!

KEEP BREATHING!

WE NEED A DOCTOR!!! CAN ANYONE HELP!?
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Fri May 03, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

diego5wh wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:
Spoiler:

AN understatement, if I've ever heard one.

On the bright side, I've made a nice graph, depicting the new posters per day since the beginning of Time.
newuser.png

nice graph.. i wonder what happen at the end of the month for that spike to show. it seems to me that anyone that post that late for the first time should be lurking for quite sometime (I lurk a lot but don't post that often, but reading every page requires crazy amounts of... time so only few do it) it would be interesting to see how many post more than a few times, also i am really curious to know how long this tread is going to go on after we are done waiting for it (if we ever are done)

That was probably around the time of the Fading. That's when I finally de-lurked, and a lot of others did as well. With the comic (apparently) coming to an end, along with BlitzGirl catching up to the present and a few posters returning from long comas, it was an exciting Time.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri May 03, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

So I went back to close the IMDb tab I had open (to check the quote in my last post) and the next two quotes were:

Caine: Is it good to seek the past, Master Po? Does it not rob the present?
Master Po: If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present. But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.

{and}

Caine: I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 03, 2013 6:20 pm UTC

Cueball wrote:We cannot go back.
We still do not understand
anything at all.

FTFH.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Fri May 03, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

diego5wh wrote:nice graph.. i wonder what happen at the end of the month for that spike to show. it seems to me that anyone that post that late for the first time should be lurking for quite sometime (I lurk a lot but don't post that often, but reading every page requires crazy amounts of... time so only few do it) it would be interesting to see how many post more than a few times, also i am really curious to know how long this tread is going to go on after we are done waiting for it (if we ever are done)

Thank you. The spike loosely correlates with the end of the fading. Lots of people delurked, just in case Time would end.

For your second question, there is - of course, after all this IS the OTT - an answer. (I just can't find the link to the user charts anymore, thought it was at Kieryns site, but wasn't.)

Edit: Found it here!
Last edited by Sciscitor on Fri May 03, 2013 6:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Fri May 03, 2013 6:26 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Cueball wrote:We cannot go back.
We still do not understand
anything at all.

FTFH.

See, I'm not a huge fan of abbreviations, so I sat here for a second trying to pronounce that... Or trying to figure out how you misspelled "fifth" so badly.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

FayZee

Postby FayZee » Fri May 03, 2013 6:28 pm UTC

It seems like they may be characters in a game.

Maybe they have to discover all the rules of the game environment before they can return to the castle to continue with that task, whatever it is.

htom

Postby htom » Fri May 03, 2013 6:32 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Didn't we stop already?
If not, I'll.

Also, sorry.

Accepted.

The public is woefully ignorant of both the triggers and the legal and discrimination consequences to epilepsy, which are frequently worse than the medical consequences. It's entirely possible that you did not know.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

diego5wh

Postby diego5wh » Fri May 03, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:That was probably around the time of the Fading. That's when I finally de-lurked, and a lot of others did as well. With the comic (apparently) coming to an end, along with BlitzGirl catching up to the present and a few posters returning from long comas, it was an exciting Time.

Sciscitor wrote:Thank you. The spike loosely correlates with the end of the fading. Lots of people delurked, just in case Time would end.

For your second question, there is - of course, after all this IS the OTT - an answer. (I just can't find the link to the user charts anymore, thought it was at Kieryns site, but wasn't.)

I guess both of you are right, people feeling like it would end is a big trigger. I remember when we got exited for the first bit of dialog, or when le pettite appeared, but some how the feeling of it ending is different, Like we where part of something magical and something that is never going to repeat (may be that just me).
That is an interesting list, around half of the posters here only have 1 or 2 posts, I guess it should not surprise me, when i registered here I went years between posts, until this tread. Hopefully some of you will stick around to other parts of the fora.
My prediction.. this is going to go for a year... and even in the low days like around Christmas or other holidays we are going to see every newpix posted a few minutes after is published.
Helper wrote:Dear god, even the recursion is recursing.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri May 03, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

123Adz321 wrote:
genera1 wrote:
123Adz321 wrote:
genera1 wrote:Will someone send the Firefox tool for showing true time into the past for the blitzers?

It is done.

I hope that is enough. I checked kieryns user charts (xkcd-time.kieryn page.. Can't post links yet) for when you posted, and there is a big hole in the middle. Perhaps there is someone who can fill in the gap?

Yeah, my sig will only help those who are closer to catching up, it's something though.

I get an error message that says, "apps, extensions, and user scripts cannot be added from this website." I am using Chrome. Help?

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 03, 2013 6:37 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:So I went back to close the IMDb tab I had open (to check the quote in my last post) and the next two quotes were:

Caine: Is it good to seek the past, Master Po? Does it not rob the present?
Master Po: If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present. But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.

{and}

Caine: I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

Once again, it is proven:

There are NO off-topic discussions in this thread. It's ALL related... :wink:
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Fri May 03, 2013 6:39 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
diego5wh wrote:nice graph.. i wonder what happen at the end of the month for that spike to show. it seems to me that anyone that post that late for the first time should be lurking for quite sometime (I lurk a lot but don't post that often, but reading every page requires crazy amounts of... time so only few do it) it would be interesting to see how many post more than a few times, also i am really curious to know how long this tread is going to go on after we are done waiting for it (if we ever are done)

Thank you. The spike loosely correlates with the end of the fading. Lots of people delurked, just in case Time would end.

How often does he update those counts? It still has me at 28.

J-Hammy

Postby J-Hammy » Fri May 03, 2013 6:42 pm UTC

diego5wh wrote:
jetpac wrote:That was probably around the time of the Fading. That's when I finally de-lurked, and a lot of others did as well. With the comic (apparently) coming to an end, along with BlitzGirl catching up to the present and a few posters returning from long comas, it was an exciting Time.

Sciscitor wrote:Thank you. The spike loosely correlates with the end of the fading. Lots of people delurked, just in case Time would end.

I guess both of you are right, people feeling like it would end is a big trigger. I remember when we got exited for the first bit of dialog, or when le pettite appeared, but some how the feeling of it ending is different, Like we where part of something magical and something that is never going to repeat (may be that just me).
That is an interesting list, around half of the posters here only have 1 or 2 posts, I guess it should not surprise me, when i registered here I went years between posts, until this tread. Hopefully some of you will stick around to other parts of the fora.
My prediction.. this is going to go for a year... and even in the low days like around Christmas or other holidays we are going to see every newpix posted a few minutes after is published.

I've almost always checked the forum on M/W/F. I've almost registered a few Times, but not until the OTC. I'll definitely stick around.
Spoiler:
buffygirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
bighaben wrote:I think she's going to slide down the dune, hopefully taking Cueball with her. :twisted:

Possibly on purpose. sliding down a hill is fun.

And it's only fair. If he goes down first, she should go down, too.

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Fri May 03, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:Edit: Found it here!

Last update was 2013-05-01 02:00 UTC.
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 03, 2013 6:48 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
jetpac wrote:

Any way we could get it to parse once every 24 newpix?
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri May 03, 2013 6:50 pm UTC

woods wrote:What about a fjord? GONG!!

So, they want to walk left to right, or if that's not possible, right to left. Why not walk up river or down river just for the sake of walking?
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri May 03, 2013 6:54 pm UTC

Post-coma reply wall...
Spoiler:
mathrec wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:I want to sing this:

Is this the real life?
Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide
No escape from reality
Open your eyes
Look up to the sea and see

... (someone continue!)

I'm just a Cueball. I need no sympathy, because
I'm easy come, easy go. Little high little low.
Even if the wind blows, doesn't really matter to me...to me.

Megan. Just just slipped again.
Dropped my bottle, oh dear me.
Now it's floating out to sea.
And Megan. Our walk had just begun.
And now it floating all away.
Megan, ooo
Didn't mean to make you cry.
If we get back home again tomorrow
Carry on, carry on, as if nothing really matters.

Too late. Our Time has come
Sends shivers down my spine.
Ocean's rising all the time.
Goodbye to our castle - We've got to go.
Gotta leave it all behind and find the truth.
Megan, ooo (even if the wind blows)
I don't want to die
I sometimes wish I'd never been born at all

I see a little sillouetto of a man
Trebuchet, trebuchet will it wreck the sand castle?
Scaffolding and rising
Very enterpising...we
build it higher, build it higher,
build it higher, build it higher,
build it higher...
(La Petite: "magnifico")

I'm just a poor boy, somebody tell me
He's just a poor boy, never seen reality
Show him some life past this monstrosity
Easy come easy go - will you let me go?
Oh Cueball, pack your bag and we will go. Time to go!
Oh cueball, pack your bag and we will go. Time to go!
It's time for us to go. Time to go!
Now it's time to go. Time to go!
Time for us to go - ooo
Go, go, go, go, go, go, go
Oh Megan whee-oh, Megan whee-oh, Megan whee-oh...we can go!
The rising sea is a riddle made for you and me
so we...
so we...

So you think we can roam free and wander outside?
So you think we can leave here and then become wise?
Oh baby - just come now with me baby
Just gotta get out - just gotta get right outta here

Ooh yeah, ooh yeah.
Nothing really matters
Anyone can see
Nothing really matter - nothing really matters to me
(Even if the wind blows)

That was glorious. Someone record this. Or I will...

PhoenixRising wrote:<snip>
It also occurred to me, although I know it's been kinda-sorta brought up already, that the OTC is channeling Hunger Games just a bit. Book Two, I think, with the water-heavy environment? I don't know why M&C would build a sandcastle under such circumstances, but it's entirely possible (given Panem's level of technological advancement) that the material wasn't sand at all, but a sort of much stronger sand. The castle would be a lookout post. Must've been one heck of a silver parachute to provide all those building materials, though. That part I still don't get. But not knowing how anything works... having physics not work quite as expected (anyone remember the forcefield at the edge of the Games environment that decided a match?)... being short on supplies... all consistent with the Games.

Some kind of stronger version of sand would make sense. I know it's a comic, and in cartoon-land the laws of physics are flexible, but that rightmost tower stood up much longer than it should have, with the sea1 eating away at the bottom like that. And some of those sticky-out towers on the topmost castle would never have stayed on in an outside-world sandcastle.

1of a relatively substantial size

BlitzGirl wrote:I was thinking about Time fanfiction, since that was brought up earlier, and specifically Cuegan shippers (inevitable).

And how, ten newpix after the hottest, steamiest erotica fanfic of Megan and Cueball is posted on the thread, OTC Megan will say: "You're such a great brother!" or something to that effect.

Ahh, Megball, my otp! All the feels when Cueball grabbed her arm like that! <3

In hindsight maybe OTC fanfic isn't such a good idea...

Swein wrote:My guess is that pooing was censored... Could of course also be the burial of half eaten otternoses from their meal.

Half-eaten what now?! *protects avatar*

NoMouse wrote:I was browsing random comics and came across this:

So was the point of Time to generate longer thread? Are we just another subjects of Randall's experiment? Will the Time end when the OTT reaches page 547? (Just 31 pages remaining! And we didn't even start in 2004!) Is flow of Time considered as perpetual motion?

That must be it! Randall the Omniscient only created the OTC in order to spark the OTT, in an attempt to create a perpetual motion device! That is the true purpose!

You know NOTHING, Cueball Snow.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri May 03, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:We should have a poll of whether they find a ford or turn back, and see if Randell responds to it

edit: the great thing about this would be that if they do what we said it's incontrovertible proof that he reads the thread, and if they don't then he's obviously just fucking with us.

How could he possibly read the Tread? The man's gotta breathe.

htom

Postby htom » Fri May 03, 2013 6:57 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
woods wrote:What about a fjord? GONG!!

So, they want to walk left to right, or if that's not possible, right to left. Why not walk up river or down river just for the sake of walking?

Walking down the river (which is small), it only gets wider. Walking up the river, they may come to a place they can cross it and continue their exploration to the right, along the sea (which is big.)
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

woods

Postby woods » Fri May 03, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

Back to (B/D/G)ONG!

Interesting conversation..........

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 03, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I was thinking about Time fanfiction, since that was brought up earlier, and specifically Cuegan shippers (inevitable).

And how, ten newpix after the hottest, steamiest erotica fanfic of Megan and Cueball is posted on the thread, OTC Megan will say: "You're such a great brother!" or something to that effect.

Naah, the last thing we need is a Star Wars reference :P .

Also: I'm thrilled to see one of my posts got a direct response from you. I'm honored to be noticed by such select company!

We could always go Oedipal with it, I suppose... :wink:

Of course, the instant Cueball says, "I AM YOUR FATHER" then we're back to the Star Wars again...

StratPlayer wrote:
pelrigg wrote:May be they'll find a Chevy first...........

At the levee?

Too bad the levee was dry. It must be far from the Sea, which is Rising.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri May 03, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

Spoiler:
sford wrote:
jovialbard wrote:We should have a poll of whether they find a ford or turn back, and see if Randell responds to it...

Sorry, the debate is already settled. They found me.

And while we're on the subject of "Ford" being a fairly uncommon name, I just found out that there is another "Ford" at the company I work for. Except that is his first name. Too bad his last name isn't "Steven"; that would make it somewhat noteworthy.

Too bad his last name isn't Prefect.
EDIT: oh nevermind. Ninja'd.
Last edited by Exodies on Fri May 03, 2013 7:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Google Bot

Postby Google Bot » Fri May 03, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

This comic is very SELECT observation FROM observations WHERE type = "obvious"; ', don't you agree?

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Fri May 03, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:
jetpac wrote:

Any way we could get it to parse once every 24 newpix?

It ain't that easy. I've been filling my own database with scraped forum pages but there are two main obstacles:
  1. You have to test for the postings since the last update - which can be none or any arbitrary number. (Well not really any, but a rather large one.) This could be automated by passing login information, but that requires some programming effort or by brute forcing it and hammering the server. I don't think Kieryn has opted for one of both options and instead goes for a manual update. (I do this too.)
  2. There is always the problem with the moderated first posts. To catch them I deliberatly lag behind about 500 to 1000 posts to let the mods approve posts from new users instead of rescraping all pages.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 03, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

woods wrote:Back to (B/D/G)ONG!
Spoiler:

See? If this isn't proof that Randall has read the OTT in the past hour, I don't know what is. Image
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri May 03, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

blindposting from 5 pages back:
patzer wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Oh, that's great!
Now we need to record this!

there are a lot of songs we need to record...

When we have our union (rather than re-union, since it will be the first one), someone should rent a recording studio or something! I'm specifically thinking of creations that involve a group/crowd of speakers/singers, such as the Bohemian Rhapsody one and the Litany.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri May 03, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

woods wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
Copernicium112 wrote:
woods wrote:
jovialbard wrote:We should have a poll of whether they find a ford or turn back, and see if Randell responds to it

A poll has thusly been created!
http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=5183e6c1e4b07663c9e7ef1b

Except such a poll would still not provide the incontrovertible proof jovialbard hopes for. I mean, with two options we either predict correctly or incorrectly. And Lord Randall, whether or not he reads/follows the thread, can choose as he pleases. It would just come down to chance, not anything with any power to prove.

However if the next frame has them looking at us and saying "What do you Think?", then we'll know.

Or alternatively, if Cueball turns to Megan and makes a dumb joke about perhaps finding a Chevy instead of a Ford. To which she responds "Or maybe a Mini-Cooper?"

That would be definitive proof.

If Cueball tried to make a joke, the poor lad's head would explode.
Is there anything else they could find which would prove something?

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 03, 2013 7:09 pm UTC

Google Bot wrote:This comic is very SELECT observation FROM observations WHERE type = "obvious" AND meaning IS NULL; ', don't you agree?

FTFY
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 03, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:<snip>
If Cueball tried to make a joke, the poor lad's head would explode.
Is there anything else they could find which would prove something?

A bottle of ketchup might work. Or one of them could be eaten by a raptorshark.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Fri May 03, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:I get an error message that says, "apps, extensions, and user scripts cannot be added from this website." I am using Chrome. Help?

Install the TamperMonkey app, it will display a button. Then you just select "add script" and paste the script in there.
There may be easier solutions, but I'm not using Chrome so I don't know of them.

genera1 wrote:I hope that is enough. I checked kieryns user charts (xkcd-time.kieryn page.. Can't post links yet) for when you posted, and there is a big hole in the middle. Perhaps there is someone who can fill in the gap?

If a Great Ancient Waiter of Time like BlitzGirl or buffygirl made a link in their sig, I would be deeply honoured. :oops:

Exodies wrote:
Pikrass wrote:Do you think that if I'm enhancing my script during my work time, justifying myself to my boss by explaining that "I'm doing it for Time", it'll be okay?

Just think how much work you do outside work time - the problem solved while in the shower, the letter composed on the bus. It'll be quite ok.

Oh right. Then I think starting from Monday I'll do nothing but read this thread and improve the script during my work Time, and administrate my servers by staying several hours in the shower at night. Sounds good!

patzer wrote:I have noticed that the time in newpix never ends in .x2, .x4, .x7 or .x9. This is due to the time being converted from Outside time to newpix. I don't know if every post has an exact timestamp, but if they do, this could be fixed.

Yeah, I wanted to say that this morning but I ran out of Time. Just add the seconds in your date format¹ and it will be more accurate. The script doesn't need to be changed.

XonqNopp wrote:
Flotter wrote:Re: 1190: "Time"

Unread post by Flotter » newpix 1064.03

ZONG!
Spoiler:

Why did he fill the hole again? Why did he dig it in the first place?

Now this is fun, we can check if the ONG had a good timing with the NewPix translation :)

This usage can also benefit from the seconds in the date format. And you can twerk the script to show more decimals if you want to (line 14, with Firefox the script will be in your Mozilla folder: mozilla/firefox/<profile>/gm_scripts/Newpix_convertor/newpix-convertor.user.js).

Sciscitor wrote:
Spoiler:
KarMann wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:Should it worry me that I have a file called OneTruePost.txt that I use for composing my next posting on here? (Yes, I hand-type the bbcode in it.) Should it worry me more that I also have a OneTruePost2.txt?

I'd be more worried about whether it worries the Inquisition, if I were you. A second One True X sounds rather heretical. Unless you're one of those Paradox types, of course, in which case it is de rigueur, I'm sure.

I would not suggest this normally, but we are a quite nerdy lot here, so:
There are BBcode Plugins for vim (sorry no links, just google it, there are just too many) and Sublime Text 2.

Oh, another vim user! \o/ Hi! \o/
Another Firefox plugin that can be useful: "It's all text". With that one you can open a separate editor² to write into any <textarea>. So you can have to OTT and your editor displayed at the same time, use your editor's functions³, and when you save the file the text area is updated.

¹ on this page, change the format to "D M d, Y g:i:s a e" (adding the ":s").
² let's say vim
³ such as the awesome vim commands
Last edited by Pikrass on Fri May 03, 2013 7:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Fri May 03, 2013 7:12 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

See? If this isn't proof that Randall has read the OTT in the past hour, I don't know what is. Image

I first thought that image was fan-art, I had to check the url. She says pretty much the same, what has been said here several times.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri May 03, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

Good stuff again, I have too much to respond to. Warning: TEXTWALL. 5/6 newpix back's comment: yeah, it looks like C was shitting, that's when M ran. Right before she ran, there was a lump below C's bottom. Then it was gone into the hole. Buried. :shock:

Selcouth wrote:Edit: addressing the post below me, since I don't want to post twice in two minutes:

Post in order, please. Two posts in two minutes is fine. You'll get a higher legitimate post count this way, too.

patzer wrote:azule made a nice avatar for me, and Pikrass made a script to display the time in newpix.
thanks!
patzer wrote:
azule wrote:
Spoiler:
You were so cute back then. *pinches past-noobie cheeks*

buffygirl wrote:For patzer1...
1 I don't know how to comicify my image to work with your Blitzified image. It would be way awesome if BlitzGirl would comicify it onto your comicified head....

Aha, it's showdown time. Who will win the heart of patzer? Buffygirl? BlitzGirl? ...Me? lol.

All of you.

Ok, we all win. *shrug* You're welcome, btw.

Everyone's so funny. Our latest trend: animated avatars. hehe.

On Mar 28, 2013 azule wrote:[Blind post]

I've been turned into a temporary lurker while I catch up on all the posts. Only about 2000 more to go!

Looks like I might have invented the word started the trend of saying "blind posting". I'm honored. *steals honor* Though, I think blitzposting might be a pretty good, OTT-specific alternative, too. *shrug*
Here is real[ish] blind posting!

jjjdavidson wrote:Should it worry me that I have a file called OneTruePost.txt that I use for composing my next posting on here? (Yes, I hand-type the bbcode in it.) Should it worry me more that I also have a OneTruePost2.txt?

First question: No, that's fine.
Second question: What, why? Why do you need two?

BlitzGirl wrote:I learned that the hard way when my browser shut down once and my (very extensive) signpost-in-progress just *poofed* away, with all of the quotes, responses, and everything! And that thing was a bear to rewrite, considering I had to go back and figure out who I was quoting and what sigs I saw, etc.

What browser do you use? I think that the forum itself has messed with some of my posts (resetting them to their original quote only). My browser (Firefox, yup) has recovered pretty gracefully from a shutdown, keeping my written post when I came back. Though, the last time it did get messed up, but I think that was a settings issue.
Last edited by azule on Fri May 03, 2013 8:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri May 03, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

Ted Logdon wrote:Call me technologically impaired, but some of these posts imply there is a way to see past images of "Time".
What am I missing?

A couple of bozos wasting their time and ours.

treadman

Postby treadman » Fri May 03, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

I first thought that image was fan-art, I had to check the url. She says pretty much the same, what has been said here several times.

Don't read too much into it. I'm sure if you stood on the street and asked random people, "Do you understand everything?", you'll get plenty of "I hardly understand anything." type of responses.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 03, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
Ted Logdon wrote:Call me technologically impaired, but some of these posts imply there is a way to see past images of "Time".
What am I missing?

A couple of bozos wasting their time and ours.

Hey now, I have a legitimate plan, others just use witchcraft.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri May 03, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

woods wrote:
SBN wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
mscha wrote:
[spoiler](snip)

Hurts indeed. If it were larger and brighter, it could probably trigger a seizure for some.

Not to mention the damage to the fingertips inflicted on those using a Braille terminal.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”