1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

FullOfIt

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby FullOfIt » Fri May 03, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:...because here on the interent there's no such thing as an attention span.

Yeah, that's...

...sorry, were you saying something?

...Ooh, shiny!

Edit: Removed parenthesis orphan, caused by heavy-handed snipping.
Last edited by FullOfIt on Fri May 03, 2013 8:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Fri May 03, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

Solamar wrote:Sigh. I guess new/infrequent posters are not appreciated here. Either that or my posts are not making it through. I have not seen any responses at all to my questions. Discouraging.

I'll try and oblige. But I don't think I'll be much help.

Solamar wrote:How difficult would it be to add color to the frames? Not full rendering, but just some 5 colors or so for differentiation.

Would it be possible to automate it?
I have no idea.

I am thinking that the sand would be a light tan, the characters remain black, the water blue, and the flags have color. The posts could be brown, etc.

It would make it more clear where the water is. For example, is there a pool of water inside the wall?
I confidently predict that any such attempt would result in a huge spinoff conversation (or in fact several) about whether the mustard sand is sand, the water is water (well we have more or less had that one), without even starting on where the various materials begin and end.
Last edited by Eutychus on Fri May 03, 2013 8:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri May 03, 2013 8:24 pm UTC

(
FullOfIt wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:...because here on the interent there's no such thing as an attention span).

Yeah, that's...
...sorry, were you saying something?
...Ooh, shiny!

A lone close parenthesis? That's almost as bad as a lone open parenthesis!

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 03, 2013 8:24 pm UTC

)

descor wrote:<snip>
It's far too fast for any sane (sorry BlitzGirl) person to keep up with.

Solamar, try asking again.

No worries. I have been mad since long before the Madness, and will likely continue being so until the end of Time. If not long after that.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

descor

Postby descor » Fri May 03, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
descor wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
fatness wrote:
Solamar wrote:Sigh. I guess new/infrequent posters are not appreciated here. Either that or my posts are not making it through. I have not seen any responses at all to my questions. Discouraging.

It takes awhile to crack through the veneer...keep the faith. There is a LOT of traffic here.

Yeah, this thread has a pretty breakneck pace for one on a webcomic forum.

It's far too fast for any sane (sorry BlitzGirl) person to keep up with.

Well, we've already established that we're all quite mad here.

This is true ... and I love you all for it!
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri May 03, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:A lone close parenthesis? That's almost as bad as a lone open parenthesis!

It's worse! You can't just close it and have it fixed! It's perpetually unbalanced, unless you can somehow go back in... time....
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

htom

Postby htom » Fri May 03, 2013 8:27 pm UTC

XKCD is almost always entirely black and white1. Why, only Randall knows. For us to add colors would be vandalism.

This needle-pulled thing3 is galloping through things on my side for 600, Alex3.

1I don't remember one that's not, but I'm not perfect. 1
1My mother's opinion excluded2.
2My wife's is considerably lower than "not perfect."2
2...but above acceptable.
3OTT (One True Thread) joke, needle-pulled-thing = thread *
3things on my side for 600, Alex = time *
*these jokes are memories of The Madness.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Fri May 03, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:A lone close parenthesis? That's almost as bad as a lone open parenthesis!

It's worse! You can't just close it and have it fixed! It's perpetually unbalanced, unless you can somehow go back in... time....

*Poof*
I am the time traveling curved-line eradicator!

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Fri May 03, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

Maybe it has more to do with your first posts being help up until moderators approved them, therefore people would not have really seen them in the first place.

The second part, is that it would be very difficult to color in the way you are mentioning in your previous posts. We can likely differentiate with a decent degree of certainty Cuegan from everything else when they are standing. And possibly the straight edges of the platform (Poles, etc..) However, there is no pixel difference between ground, sea, castle, etc... However we have little to no information given a single frame, and is not a process that could be easily automated. Given multiple frames of increasing water level, the image would be similar to the difference on Geekwagon with different colors.

The entire process would be manual, and below the level of the water would be a best guess otherwise, like at the river currently.

Plus, this is a black and white stick figure comic, I really don't feel that adding "realistic" coloring adds anything to the OTC.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 03, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

I wonder how small this text can go

EDIT: apparently very small
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

J-Hammy

Postby J-Hammy » Fri May 03, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

htom wrote:

XKCD is almost always entirely black and white1. Why, only Randall knows. For us to add colors would be vandalism.

This needle-pulled thing3 is galloping through things on my side for 600, Alex3.

Here's one with some red:
http://xkcd.com/1183/
Spoiler:
buffygirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
bighaben wrote:I think she's going to slide down the dune, hopefully taking Cueball with her. :twisted:

Possibly on purpose. sliding down a hill is fun.

And it's only fair. If he goes down first, she should go down, too.

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

htom wrote:

XKCD is almost always entirely black and white. Why, only Randall knows. For us to add colors would be vandalism.

He does use color occasionally, but only when he needs to specify something's color or wants to add to the effect of the comic.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

descor

Postby descor » Fri May 03, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:I wonder how small this text can go

How large can it go?

Not very!
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Fri May 03, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

J-Hammy wrote:
htom wrote:

This one's always jarring whenever I see it, because of the color: http://xkcd.com/347/

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri May 03, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
htom wrote:

XKCD is almost always entirely black and white. Why, only Randall knows. For us to add colors would be vandalism.

He does use color occasionally, but only when he needs to specify something's color or wants to add to the effect of the comic.

And this one, which has been mentioned before here...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

J-Hammy

Postby J-Hammy » Fri May 03, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

descor wrote:

How large can it go?

Not very!

that's what she said
Spoiler:
buffygirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
bighaben wrote:I think she's going to slide down the dune, hopefully taking Cueball with her. :twisted:

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

J-Hammy wrote:
htom wrote:

Yup. Whenever he needs to use color, he uses it. In that one, if the petals were uncolored, they would look more like eggshell fragments. The same thing is present here, where they'd look like beanbags if they weren't kidney-colored.
Also, his earlier, hand-drawn comics involve color fairly often, before he decided to stick with the black-and-white format.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Montov

Postby Montov » Fri May 03, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

Awesome comeback of the Cueball.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri May 03, 2013 8:36 pm UTC

Awwww! No no, the problem is that first-time posts get stuck in moderator-land until they are approved, in order to prevent spambotting. Then when it does get approved, it appears back in the place it would have appeared if it had gone straight through. Since this thread moves along at quite a clip, initial posts always get buried in the past (tehe).

So, that's what happened to your original post. Beyond that, one can only expect a limited percentage of one's posts to generate replies. Similarly, a lot of times if there is a flurry of discussion around something (with much quoting back and forth etc), a post on a different topic will often be overlooked. I do think that is what happened to your second post.

Here is your question again:
Solamar wrote:I'll just test out my attempt at an avatar here. I hope it does not offend anyone.

Way back many pages ago I asked:

How difficult would it be to add simple colorization to the image? That is, the water is blue, the sand is tan, and the pillars are a brown wood? Could it be scripted?

I am curious as to what is water and what is sand.

Also - someone did a lovely sand-sky-water-wood rendition of the SandCastles way earlier on, although I can't for the life of me remember who it was, otherwise I'd provide a link. I thought of that when I read your second quote, and since I couldn't really say anything useful, I hoped someone else would remember and respond.

And -- yes, the frequent posters do tend to get a bit carried away with one another sometimes. It's not that we don't value new/infrequent posters! It's just that we are having so much fun we sometimes forget to look around.

MWAH! Have a hat!
Attachments
Solamar-hat.png
Solamar-hat.png (4.02 KiB) Viewed 9376 times

htom

Postby htom » Fri May 03, 2013 8:36 pm UTC

J-Hammy wrote:
htom wrote:

Yes, and the spiders, and Cory, and ... I am humbled.

yappobiscuits -- thank you! I missed both Prairie and Error Code along the way.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

Solamar wrote:<snip>
How difficult would it be to add simple colorization to the image? That is, the water is blue, the sand is tan, and the pillars are a brown wood? Could it be scripted?

I am curious as to what is water and what is sand.

I believe that's been done before. I'll upload it again (I am not the original creator, I forget who is).
Attachments
color1.jpg
Last edited by HAL9000 on Fri May 03, 2013 8:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

J-Hammy

Postby J-Hammy » Fri May 03, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

htom wrote:
J-Hammy wrote:
htom wrote:

Yes, and the spiders, and Cory, and ... I am humbled.

yappobiscuits -- thank you! I missed both Prairie and Error Code along the way.

I love it when someone makes some general statement about xkcd here, it always brings back random comics.

I've never seen a gorilla in an xkcd comic!
Spoiler:
buffygirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri May 03, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

Along with my post editing window, I have a small text reading window. Today's reads:
Sharkbait! Ooh-ha-ha!
I just got really far behind, and workload picked up, so I Kept falling farther and farther behind... Then said screw it.
Iunno if that's the right spelling. I also don't care nearly enough to find out.
Wait. I just helped summon the Inquisition. I feel evil now...

Oh well. Prepare the comfy chairs and boil the chocolate!
. *quietly beckons Dracomax over* You'll note I made no promises about what Draco would or would not do. All in good fun, ofc.
or sometime, but that would be a tacky pun

No specific reason. Just w00t.
(After all, Time flies...)
Perhaps due to the wall shortage she's actually broken the fourth dimension instead

Not that any of us would do something like that
3And I thought I'd never be one to add loads of footnotes.
think we can go lower.
I wonder how small this text can go

astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Fri May 03, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

htom wrote:

There's also this one. And depending on your location/browser/whatever, Umwelt has some too.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 03, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

J-Hammy wrote:
descor wrote:

How large can it go?

Not very!

that's what she said

Bu-dum-pisssh

PS: [size=.01]it can get very small[/size] -- okay not that small
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

Ted Logdon

Postby Ted Logdon » Fri May 03, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

Call me technologically impaired, but some of these posts imply there is a way to see past images of "Time".
What am I missing?

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

J-Hammy wrote:I love it when someone makes some general statement about xkcd here, it always brings back random comics.

The only mention of gorillas is in the spreadsheet Randall provides for the implementation of his Backward-in-Time program.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 03, 2013 8:42 pm UTC

There's a gorilla in the alt-text of Meerkat: http://xkcd.com/115/

buffygirl wrote:And -- yes, the frequent posters do tend to get a bit carried away with one another sometimes. It's not that we don't value new/infrequent posters! It's just that we are having so much fun we sometimes forget to look around.

MWAH! Have a hat!

Hatting soothes the weary soul. :wink:

SBN wrote:Along with my post editing window, I have a small text reading window. Today's reads:
Sharkbait! Ooh-ha-ha!

Heh, that was me. Again.

Oh, and Boom De Yada is quite colorful. :D
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

Ted Logdon wrote:Call me technologically impaired, but some of these posts imply there is a way to see past images of "Time".
What am I missing?

http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/
http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/
There ya go. Either one works pretty well, but there's a few discrepancies, as identified by http://xkcd.mscha.org/.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Fri May 03, 2013 8:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Fri May 03, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:I believe that's been done before. I'll upload it again (I am not the original creator, I forget who is).
I tried GiS with that image and it couldn't find any other examples - and very few "similar" ones. One of those was this. It looks like a fun way the castle/poles could have ended up. Or maybe has while we've not been looking at it.
Last edited by Eutychus on Fri May 03, 2013 8:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Fri May 03, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
J-Hammy wrote:I love it when someone makes some general statement about xkcd here, it always brings back random comics.

The only mention of gorillas is in the spreadsheet Randall provides for the implementation of his Backward-in-Time program.

bah, beat me to it. That search functionality is thorough!

Edit: or maybe not, since it didn't turn up the one that BlitzGirl found
Last edited by jetpac on Fri May 03, 2013 8:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Fri May 03, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:A Time capsule? I'm imagining a little raspberry pi with an offline version of the OTC inside a plastic tube with some kind of long-life battery.

Oh Dear Randall. That would be awesome. We need to get in touch with the geohash people, so they can place them on the hash locations.
If it's too expensive for them, they could print the current newpix: that would give the date of the trip as well.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

J-Hammy

Postby J-Hammy » Fri May 03, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:

WHAAAT!? I didn't know that spreadsheet was there! I have some studying to do. I love this forum!
Spoiler:
buffygirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Fri May 03, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

freevortex

Postby freevortex » Fri May 03, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

There's another one, comic 115, that mentions gorillas.

It keeps telling me that my message was flagged as spam?

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:I believe that's been done before. I'll upload it again (I am not the original creator, I forget who is).
I tried GiS with that image and it couldn't find any other examples - and very few "similar" ones. One of those was this. It looks like a fun way the castle/poles could have ended up. Or maybe has while we've not been looking at it.

Well, I got that image from this thread. It was an uploaded file (not an online-hosted image), so image search engines probably won't find it.

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Fri May 03, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:List of comics with color

of course that's on the wiki

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Fri May 03, 2013 8:46 pm UTC

ford.png

Hooray! They found a Ford. Now they can use it to get across.

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Fri May 03, 2013 8:46 pm UTC

Wnderer wrote:
ford.png

Hooray! They found a Ford. Now they can use it to get across.

waaiiit a minute.... something's fishy here...

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri May 03, 2013 8:48 pm UTC

J-Hammy wrote:
descor wrote:

How large can it go?

Not very!

that's what she said

This thread, and Montov's and Ted Logdon's posts, were the only posts on newpage 520 which were not (directly or indirectly) in reply to Solamar's post about not getting any replies. :) Well, and maybe some of the ones that ninja'd me as I tried to post this, but they could be on newpage 521 as far as I know.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”