1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Fri May 03, 2013 8:48 pm UTC

Ted Logdon wrote:Call me technologically impaired, but some of these posts imply there is a way to see past images of "Time".
What am I missing?

You might also want to check "Notify me when a reply is posted" in your Post a Reply window.
SBN wrote:
Ted Logdon wrote:Call me technologically impaired, but some of these posts imply there is a way to see past images of "Time".
What am I missing?

There are several. You could read the thread, we've tried hard to capture each Newpix there.
You could check the Wiki
There is The Book of Aubron as well as http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/
Just to name a few.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri May 03, 2013 8:48 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:You asked for it, you got it... Here is the list of all occurancies of [that URL] in the OTT up to post 19440. Beware, they are - of course - all spoilers! And they are based on my old database, so maybe there are some false positives in there. I did not want to scrape the poor old forum server again.
. . .
Edited for direct link search (img-tags), not really much shorter, ordered by user.
When responding (for reporting defusion or false positives) please do not quote the list to avoid further spoilers.

Mine was just quoting someone else's, in spoiler tags, but I went back (TO THE PAST!) and fixed it. Still doing my ketchup meanwhile.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri May 03, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:And how, ten newpix after the hottest, steamiest erotica fanfic of Megan and Cueball is posted on the thread, OTC Megan will say: "You're such a great brother!" or something to that effect.

LMAO!
I would like to introduce you to the internet.
*introduces internet, who is foaming at the mouth*
Internet, that's not polite.
*internet stares at fanfic*
It's not polite to stare.
*internet hears the great reveal*
Oh, no....
*internet drops pants*

..................Yup.

Opiboble wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Also, on the topic of toppings, shouldn't we be using catsup instead of ketchup, so it can be called the One True Catsup (and thus be abbreviated OTC)?

Indeed, someone fix that image!

NONONO! OTK, is a unique abbreviation. We really don't want everything to be that confusing. OT* is the format. We have now OTC, OTT, OTF, OTK. That leaves us 22 other acronyms to fill. Let's keep going, people.
Ninja'd by jetpac!

Copernicium112 wrote:Edit: It definitely is exhilarating to Ong for the first time :D

Ah, yes, it is. I remember my first ONG. Well, back in those days we didn't ONG. We simply posted the frame carefully and silently. Yeah, those were the good ol' days. *reminisces*

BlitzGirl wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:So, you know those scenes in some horror movies, like Poltergeist, where someone is running down the hallway, but it just keeps getting longer and longer and they can never reach the end? That's how I'm starting to feel with this thread.

See, this is normal for me. I don't know what you all are going on about. :wink:

Ha! I think when one is doing a blitzrun, they see what pages they have left to read and should times it by 1.5 or 2. That will be how many they will actually end up reading.

Basically ninja'd long ago, but posting anyways:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
mscha wrote:
Cueball wrote:It's strange.
Rivers flow to meet the sea.
Maybe the sea couldn't wait.

Huh?

Yeah, really. How could
he say that NOT in haiku!
That is heresy.

I fixed that for you
so that you would not also
become heretic.

IFTFY
So what you say is haiku
Leave payment in box.

My edit in bold
If my boldness is okay
Have a pleasant day
Last edited by azule on Fri May 03, 2013 9:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

htom

Postby htom » Fri May 03, 2013 8:51 pm UTC

Wnderer wrote:
ford.png

Hooray! They found a Ford. Now they can use it to get across.

The Ford appears to be parked in a ford.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

fatness

Postby fatness » Fri May 03, 2013 8:52 pm UTC

azule wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:And how, ten newpix after the hottest, steamiest erotica fanfic of Megan and Cueball is posted on the thread, OTC Megan will say: "You're such a great brother!" or something to that effect.

LMAO! I would like to introduce you to the internet. *introduces internet, who is foaming at the mouth* Internet, that's not polite. *internet stares at fanfic* It's not polite to stare. *internet hears the great reveal* Oh, no.... *internet drops pants*

..................Yup.

I think I saw that show.

The theater floor was sticky, too.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri May 03, 2013 8:56 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
mathrec; started by AluisioASG wrote:I want to sing this:

Wow, that was fabulous!!! *standing applause* Awesome!

And then my mind of course went to an image of Cueball, Megan, BHG, and LaPetite in a sky-blue 1976 AMC Pacer, thrashing their heads.

True story: In the early-mid '90s, I used to have a light blue 1976 AMC Pacer . . . complete with flames painted on the sides. And, I had long blond hair & glasses. We had plans to install a rope licorice dispenser on its ceiling, but never did get around to it.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri May 03, 2013 8:56 pm UTC

fatness wrote:
azule wrote:

LMAO! I would like to introduce you to the internet. *introduces internet, who is foaming at the mouth* Internet, that's not polite. *internet stares at fanfic* It's not polite to stare. *internet hears the great reveal* Oh, no.... *internet drops pants*

..................Yup.

I think I saw that show.

ewwwww!!!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

123Adz321 wrote:I am getting this issue on every post:

I read it as "Nanoo," like Mork's "nanoo nanoo." Maybe 123Adz321 is really on Ork.

woods wrote:
123Adz321 wrote:
woods wrote:
123Adz321 wrote:<snip>
Unless it did so automatically since I live in the UK (which is DD/MM/YYYY)

What, like some sort of HEATHEN!?!
MM/DD/YYYY is the only way to Time.

Spoiler:

Yeah. 'Murica.

Spoiler:
Fuck yeah!

Pfhorrest wrote:
Spoiler:
Here's a thought that's possibly occurred somewhere in the past 500+ pages:

What if the inhabitants of this comic live in a world where time passes at the rate that we observe the comic passing? That's kind of an imprecise way to put it, but what I mean is... what if, to them, it feels like everything that's happened in the comic thus far has taken over a month (of subjective time-perception), but the events of the day are still only those which could occur in within the span of one rising tide. The sun has only moved like 30 degrees across the sky in all this time, etc.

Where I'm going with this is: what if they have so little experience of the world because everything in their world happens so damn slowly compared to their perception of it that they haven't had time to see more than one tide rise, or visit more than one river, or something?

I guess this would require that they age at a rate comparable to their perception of time, or else in order to be fully grown adults they would have to be old enough to have experienced a comparable amount of activity in their world as an adult would in our world. What if a month of subjective time passing can only fit 2 hours worth of activity in, so a year (12 months) of conscious experience fits into one rotation (24 hours) of their world. Then they'll only have experienced about 30 days worth of activity in their world (thirty rotations of their world) if they're 30 years old. It's totally understandable for a 30-day-old to have never seen a tide before, or not know how many rivers there are in the world. 30 years of thoughts and growth have been crammed into those 30 days, but it's still only 30 days of experience

Hmm, I think I'll have to re-read this at a time when I'm not also pretending to work. Too hard to understand while multi-tasking. (I know, heretical to let the Outside interfere.) Speaking of heretical, I'm also distracted by all the heretical references to Outsider time.

Edited to fix my spoiler/quote errors. I'm sure someone's pointed that out. Or not. Anyway, that's what I get for blindposting. (And not using "Preview.")

Edit2 to close my open paren.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Fri May 03, 2013 10:15 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Fri May 03, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

htom wrote:
Wnderer wrote:
ford.png

Hooray! They found a Ford. Now they can use it to get across.

The Ford appears to be parked in a ford.

The best way to mark a ford is to park a Ford.

Eternal Density

(Triple Sonic Boom)

Postby Eternal Density » Fri May 03, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

Why a Ford? They should look for a DeLorean.

ETA speaking of DeLoreans,
Gingercat wrote:I find the idea of "Time Capsules" being left in edited posts fascinating. A request from the Cat: Would someone be so kind as to go back in Time and drop a Greeting Capsule somewhere from page 300 (or so) up to "the present"? :) Such an act could well make me Schrödinger's Gingercat - Existant in the future past of Time's present!

Now I've got to get back to 1613...
Last edited by Eternal Density on Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:23 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Fri May 03, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
fatness wrote:
azule wrote:

..................Yup.

I think I saw that show.

ewwwww!!!

Yeah, that's gross! I hate it when people spill soda!

What? What did I say?

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 03, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

I just had a very twisted idea...

Spoiler:
That we put everything in 10 size for a few pages.... just to mess with all that follow us, muahahahahaha.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

Google Bot

Postby Google Bot » Fri May 03, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

I wonder if ERROR: Table 'observations' doesn't exist"...?

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Fri May 03, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:I just had a very twisted idea...

Spoiler:
That we put everything in 10 size for a few pages.... just to mess with all that follow us, muahahahahaha.

You're evil. I didn't realize just how evil until I went to quote you.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Fri May 03, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

woods wrote:What about a fjord? GONG!!
Spoiler:

My Rocky Horror reflexes kicked in, and I wanted to shout at them "No, don't go back! Never go back!"

Also, perhaps they're pining for it?
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 03, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:

Spoiler:

I know *Deep evil laugh*
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

J-Hammy

Postby J-Hammy » Fri May 03, 2013 9:06 pm UTC

Google Bot wrote:I wonder if ERROR: Table 'observations' doesn't exist"...?

google not able to handle a sql injection attack? psh...
Spoiler:
buffygirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
bighaben wrote:I think she's going to slide down the dune, hopefully taking Cueball with her. :twisted:

Possibly on purpose. sliding down a hill is fun.

And it's only fair. If he goes down first, she should go down, too.

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!

htom

Postby htom » Fri May 03, 2013 9:06 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:

I read it as "Nanoo," like Mork's "nanoo nanoo." Maybe 123Adz321 is really on Ork.

Something unhappy, reporting "Not a Number"?

edit -- fix quotes
Last edited by htom on Fri May 03, 2013 9:10 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri May 03, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

What am I missing?

Are you by any chance a distant relative of Sir Vinnie Longdong? Surnames often gain and lose letters over the centuries.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Fri May 03, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
jetpac wrote:

Spoiler:

I know *Deep evil laugh*

How deep could your evil laugh really be at that size?

(Is that my voice? Is that... my voice?)

VoronX

Postby VoronX » Fri May 03, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

(Greetings from NP 516!)
woods wrote:What about a fjord? GONG!!
Spoiler:

Better than a fnord!
A humble Pilgrim0 awash in the Sea1 of TimeS, unstuck, observing the wonderful Stars therin . . . waiting for IT.
0 - Billy
1 - BIG
S - Like a River2?

2 - small, and a host of other adjectives

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 03, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

KAMPONGGGGGGGG...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

htom

Postby htom » Fri May 03, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

Something's not packed.

Google Bot

Postby Google Bot » Fri May 03, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

J-Hammy wrote:
Google Bot wrote:I wonder if ERROR: Table 'observations' doesn't exist"...?

google not able to handle a sql injection attack? psh...

DELETE FROM users WHERE username = "J-Hammy";

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 03, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
jetpac wrote:

Spoiler:

I know *Deep evil laugh*

It just gets very quite, but still quite deep... Anyone looking on would think I was crazy as I sit here seeming to make no noise as I laugh manically.

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Fri May 03, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

htom wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:

Something unhappy, reporting "Not a Number"?

edit -- fix quotes

That's intended. A newpix isn't a number. A newpix is a newpix.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Fri May 03, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
jetpac wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
jetpac wrote:

Spoiler:

I know *Deep evil laugh*

It just gets very quite, but still quite deep... Anyone looking on would think I was crazy as I sit here seeming to make no noise as I laugh manically.

Nooo, I'm pretty sure you sound like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfcEHOrhJmQ

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 03, 2013 9:19 pm UTC

htom wrote:Something's not packed.

Is Megan leaving her dilgunnerang behind?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 03, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
jetpac wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
jetpac wrote:

Spoiler:

I know *Deep evil laugh*

Nooo, I'm pretty sure you sound like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfcEHOrhJmQ

I would watch it, but my phone has decided it doesn't like the youtube app anymore...

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri May 03, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

Megan's about to bitch slap Cue' for his insolence.

fatness wrote:
Spoiler:
azule wrote:

..................Yup.

I think I saw that show.

Then what happened? I bet there was donkeys involved.

buffygirl wrote:MWAH! Have a hat!

Is that how you get a hat around here? WAAAH! ;)

Kidding!

edit: language, bad

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:29 pm UTC

woods wrote:

How did you know? HOW COULD YOU POSSIBLY KNOW?!

buffygirl wrote:
123Adz321 wrote:Yeah, my sig will only help those who are closer to catching up, it's something though.

I get an error message that says, "apps, extensions, and user scripts cannot be added from this website." I am using Chrome. Help?

<Longoverdueresponse>You need to install the TamperMonkey extension; For some reason Chrome no longer likes userscripts from third party websites by default.</Probablyalreadypostedanswer>
Dear Time travellers, I bring a gift from the future: A userscript for Chrome (Tampermonkey) or Firefox (Greasemonkey)
This will convert outside time to the One True Time of Newpix
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

fatness

Postby fatness » Fri May 03, 2013 9:31 pm UTC

azule wrote:Megan's about to bitch slap Cue' for his insolence.

fatness wrote:
Spoiler:
azule wrote:

..................Yup.

I think I saw that show.

I can't say.
Well, at least not while the restraining order is still in effect.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 03, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

fatness wrote:

fatness wrote:
Spoiler:
azule wrote:

..................Yup.

I think I saw that show.

I can't say.

Oh come on!

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 03, 2013 9:35 pm UTC

123Adz321 wrote:
woods wrote:

Psst - your hat's coloring gives you away! I know, it was hard for Mork to blend in here, too:

Spoiler:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri May 03, 2013 9:36 pm UTC

Solamar wrote:Sigh. I guess new/infrequent posters are not appreciated here. Either that or my posts are not making it through. I have not seen any responses at all to my questions. Discouraging.
New posters are appreciated, welcomed embraced (and even graphed!) here, but it's extremely easy to get lost in this particular thread for a few reasons:

The first post(s?) from any new members are invisible until released by the moderators, to guard against spambots. You just have to
Spoiler:
wait for it.
When they appear, they appear in their original position in the thread. In most threads this is not an issue, but this particular thread moves =fast=, so your post is likely to be several pages back. Many will have passed that spot before your post becomes visible, and since the thread is moving so fast, it is uncommon for people to leisurely stroll back and thereby see it (and even if they do, they may not even recognize it in the blitz). Just quote your first post in a new post, and people will see it. For perspective, when I came across the post I quoted, it was already three pages behind the event horizon.
Spoiler:
<--Desperately resists linking to that other thread!
As you can probably tell (a hundred pages a week!) there is a lot going on. If you've been lurking, you probably already have a sense of it. If this is your first time reading, there have been a number of resources created for newcomers; most of them are linked at the wiki.

What am I missing?
The Book of Aubron, and other tools listed in the wiki mentioned above.

(Some frequent poster probably should put the wiki in his or her sig)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri May 03, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
fatness wrote:

fatness wrote:
Spoiler:
azule wrote:

..................Yup.

I think I saw that show.

I can't say.

Oh come on!

Opiboble, stop it, or you won't get a hat!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
fhorn wrote:I feel like the golden retriever in the back of the family car, just hanging my head out the window, tongue flapping, enjoying the ride.

Until the moment you realize they are taking you to the butchery.

WTH? I read fhorn's quote and thought, haha, that's cute, I can just picture it. Than I read Aluisio's post. Who takes a golden retriever to a butchery? Who even suggests the idea of taking a golden retriever to a butchery? Aluisio, are you Cruella DeVille's alter ego?

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
123Adz321 wrote:
woods wrote:

Psst - your hat's coloring gives you away! I know, it was hard for Mork to blend in here, too:

Spoiler:

Bah, now I've got to find something more incognito...
Dear Time travellers, I bring a gift from the future: A userscript for Chrome (Tampermonkey) or Firefox (Greasemonkey)
This will convert outside time to the One True Time of Newpix
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

Google Bot

Postby Google Bot » Fri May 03, 2013 9:43 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
fhorn wrote:I feel like the golden retriever in the back of the family car, just hanging my head out the window, tongue flapping, enjoying the ride.

Until the moment you realize they are taking you to the butchery.

WTH? I read fhorn's quote and thought, haha, that's cute, I can just picture it. Than I read Aluisio's post. Who takes a golden retriever to a butchery? Who even suggests the idea of taking a golden retriever to a butchery? Aluisio, are you Cruella DeVille's alter ego?

You insolent fools. I'd imagine you half-bits would have figured it out by now. Here's a hint: where exactly do you think the power for Google's (TM) vast datacenters comes from?

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 03, 2013 9:45 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
fatness wrote:

fatness wrote:
Spoiler:
azule wrote:

..................Yup.

I think I saw that show.

I can't say.

Oh come on!

Opiboble, stop it, or you won't get a hat!

:( oh, okay. : (

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”