1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Sat May 04, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

ELLAFITZGONG...

Edit:
Cueball wrote:It's not much farther from home than ours at its driest.

Huh? That is one strange¹ river they have there, if it is significantly further away when it's dry...

¹: and small
Last edited by mscha on Sat May 04, 2013 4:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 04, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:With regard to hashing/lookup tables/randomization for the image filenames, my bet is on a hash algorithm which uses some combination of the image data, the image path, and the image's Newpix count (yes, I think Randall might honestly be calculating the intended release time for each image. I'd be shocked if he didn't salt the hash somehow, and the file create/modify fields are out of the question since he's changed many of them.)

Image data changed as well in some cases, so that's out as well.

I just call it the hash because it sounds nice.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 04, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

Does anyone know why I can't picture post? See ~2/3 way down page 528. I just get a little rectangle.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Sat May 04, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
ttscp wrote:
But then how do you explain that they sat down facing the sea, after walking for quite a while?
Spoiler:
(Yes, it's definitely the sea, it rose while they were sitting there.)

Curved path?
That's what I get for being in a haste to post and not fact checking. I'll have to go back and check. Did we see the sea rise, or did they just comment on it?

It rose by about a pixel in 3 newpix.
Spoiler:

I went back and looked. How could I have forgotten? That was the loop scare. It is definitely the sea. Even if I try to claim curved path, they essentially journeyed along the seacoast until that point.

To retain some shred of dignity, I still claim that we need to consider something other than right angles and straight line paths.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat May 04, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
Spoiler:
100th post in this thread! Yay!
HAL9000 wrote:
mscha wrote:
Smithers wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:I would like to request that everyone who has a wall of replies after a ketchup put the wall inside a spoiler so I don't have to scroll down as much. It's starting to get on my nerves a bit.

Actually, I would prefer the opposite. If a large wall of ketchup appears in a spoiler and I hit the show button to read it, I then have to remember to scroll back up and hide it again before continuing. If I don't hide the spoiler, then when I next refresh the page, the spoiler will be hidden again and my view will be further along the page than before I refreshed, so I have to scroll back up to try and find where I was.

What he said. (Smithers, not HAL9000. I hope you're not skipping these post? I'm sorry, Hal, I'm afraid you can't do that.)
If there's long quotes in the posts you're replying to as part of your ketchup, it makes sense to individually spoiler these. But please don't spoiler the whole post, that only helps the skippers, not the readers.

That's a good point, and not one I had noticed until now. It's really just me being obsessive and nitpicky.

It can only be attributed to human error.
Although if we're spoilering each reply, wouldn't that be a bigger pain since now readers have to open half-a-dozen spoilers instead of one?

That's true. Though the topic-based sort (pioneered by Blitzgirl) is nice.

I'll chime in on this discussion. I think BlitzGirl's posts are the gold standard for how to handle wall-of-response. She gives a topic, spoilers a block, and moves on. If you're skimming, you fly past the whole post, or just hit the topics that interest you ("Did she find my sigcouragement?"). If you actually want to read the whole thing, you can pop open one spoiler at a time, read it, and then close it and move on; frequently the Hide button is still visible when you've reached the end of the section.

ETA: This is one of Cueball's most interesting comments yet. "It's not much farther from home than ours at its driest." Implications:
─C&M have a home(!), either together or in the same community.
─They know "their" river to have seasons, and they've seen at least the dry season themselves.
─They've been around a while, but they haven't gotten out much before.
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Sat May 04, 2013 4:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat May 04, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
mscha wrote:
Smithers wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:I would like to request that everyone who has a wall of replies after a ketchup put the wall inside a spoiler so I don't have to scroll down as much. It's starting to get on my nerves a bit.

Actually, I would prefer the opposite. If a large wall of ketchup appears in a spoiler and I hit the show button to read it, I then have to remember to scroll back up and hide it again before continuing. If I don't hide the spoiler, then when I next refresh the page, the spoiler will be hidden again and my view will be further along the page than before I refreshed, so I have to scroll back up to try and find where I was.

What he said. (Smithers, not HAL9000. I hope you're not skipping these post? I'm sorry, Hal, I'm afraid you can't do that.)
If there's long quotes in the posts you're replying to as part of your ketchup, it makes sense to individually spoiler these. But please don't spoiler the whole post, that only helps the skippers, not the readers.

That's a good point, and not one I had noticed until now. It's really just me being obsessive and nitpicky.

I feel the same way you do, Hal.. but then I saw what mscha said and that made sense, too. I just had about 6 pages of ketchup with several other tabs of replies open... but by the time I get to the present, everyone has already replied and said what I was going to say. This leaves my ketchup posts incredibly small and boring and, most times, non-existent! :P

The latest -ONG was... weird. I wonder where their home is? I'm guessing close to the sandcastles because they mentioned that OtherRiver1.

1Small.

Edit: 1and dry
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat May 04, 2013 4:12 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:Does anyone know why I can't picture post? See ~2/3 way down page 528. I just get a little rectangle.

https, maybe?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat May 04, 2013 4:12 pm UTC

mscha wrote:ELLAFITZGONG...

Edit:

Huh? That is one strange¹ river they have there, if it is significantly further away when it's dry...

Well, if a river was drying up, its banks would recede towards the center. Granted, that wouldn't make much of a difference in terms of how far one might have to walk to get there.

It's interesting that Cueball refers to it as "ours." Why do they feel ownership? Do they live near it?

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 04, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:Does anyone know why I can't picture post? See ~2/3 way down page 528. I just get a little rectangle.

Because you're using a link to a page, not an image.
Try this instead:
Spoiler:

(And if you have to post such a huge image, definitely put it in a spoiler.)
Last edited by mscha on Sat May 04, 2013 4:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Sat May 04, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

So they have a home! Or is it the sandcastle? Maybe it has enough depth to live in?

On a side note, I made some Time-related work. After the newpix convertor, I created the spoiler detector: whenever someone links the dynamic time.png image instead of the static hashed one, the script will spoiler it away. It can be useful for blitzers.

The scripts are now maintained in a real Github repo : https://github.com/Pikrass/timescripts. The installation instructions are in the README. Feel free to open issues for bugs and suggestions, or even fork it and make pull requests.
My next script will allow you to quote multiple people without any copy-pasting. This one will take a little more Time to write, but it doesn't matter, we have plenty.
Last edited by Pikrass on Sat May 04, 2013 4:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 04, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:
mscha wrote:
Smithers wrote:

Although if we're spoilering each reply, wouldn't that be a bigger pain since now readers have to open half-a-dozen spoilers instead of one?

I'll chime in on this discussion. I think BlitzGirl's posts are the gold standard for how to handle wall-of-response. She gives a topic, spoilers a block, and moves on. If you're skimming, you fly past the whole post, or just hit the topics that interest you ("Did she find my sigcouragement?"). If you actually want to read the whole thing, you can pop open one spoiler at a time, read it, and then close it and move on; frequently the Hide button is still visible when you've reached the end of the section.

My point exactly. I don't like leaving spoiler tags open on a page.
It just feels... wrong.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 04, 2013 4:14 pm UTC

Edit:

Gladness is always ominous.

treadman

Postby treadman » Sat May 04, 2013 4:15 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

Edit:

Which river1 is 'ours'? The one they talked about but we never got to see in the early newpixes? (newpixen? newpices?)
1: small

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Sat May 04, 2013 4:17 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
ttscp wrote:Tittering little obscenities (from "Thieving Bear Planet").

A new Lafferty! One I hadn't read. Although there are echos of Snuffles and 900 Grandmothers.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 04, 2013 4:18 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:
mscha wrote:
Smithers wrote:

ETA: This is one of Cueball's most interesting comments yet. "It's not much farther from home than ours at its driest." Implications:
─C&M have a home(!), either together or in the same community.
─They know "their" river to have seasons, and they've seen at least the dry season themselves.
─They've been around a while, but they haven't gotten out much before.

So the optimum would be to spoiler a screen's worth, so it could be expanded and shrunk without scrolling. We need a survey to find the median screen size, possibly weighted by strength of revulsion to scrolling.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat May 04, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:So the optimum would be to spoiler a screen's worth, so it could be expanded and shrunk without scrolling. We need a survey to find the median screen size, possibly weighted by strength of revulsion to scrolling.

And how many control+'s are needed, which is based on reader's age, eyesight, time spent waiting, and tininess of font used.
I tend to open them up, and leave them open, and then when I get to the bottom of the page I refresh and they close. I do sometimes wish for a labeling system. since we hide so much more than spoilers.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Sat May 04, 2013 4:26 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:

Edit:

Well, if a river was drying up, its banks would recede towards the center. Granted, that wouldn't make much of a difference in terms of how far one might have to walk to get there.

If it was drying up it could recede up the river channel, and get arbitrarily far from the sea1

1big

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat May 04, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Exodies wrote:So the optimum would be to spoiler a screen's worth, so it could be expanded and shrunk without scrolling. We need a survey to find the median screen size, possibly weighted by strength of revulsion to scrolling.

And how many control+'s are needed, which is based on reader's age, eyesight, time spent waiting, and tininess of font used.
I tend to open them up, and leave them open, and then when I get to the bottom of the page I refresh and they close. I do sometimes wish for a labeling system. since we hide so much more than spoilers.

On a forum I moderate, there's two kinds of spoiler tags. [spoiler] makes your text black on a black background, and when you mouseover it turns white, which is good for short spoilers. Then there's [bigspoiler=] which makes a block similar to a [code] block (but without the font change) that has a label at the top next to the expand button.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sat May 04, 2013 4:29 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:So they have a home! Or is it the sandcastle? Maybe it has enough depth to live in?

On a side note, I made some Time-related work. After the newpix convertor, I created the spoiler detector: whenever someone links the dynamic time.png image instead of the static hashed one, the script will spoiler it away. It can be useful for blitzers.

The scripts are now maintained in a real Github repo : https://github.com/Pikrass/timescripts. The installation instructions are in the README. Feel free to open issues for bugs and suggestions, or even fork it and make pull requests.
My next script will allow you to quote multiple people without any copy-pasting. This one will take a little more Time to write, but it doesn't matter, we have plenty.

Great idea, Pikrass! Never got comfortable enough with JavaScript myself to use it for more than basic UI stuff.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 04, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

Because you're using a link to a page, not an image.
Try this instead:
Spoiler:

(And if you have to post such a huge image, definitely put it in a spoiler.)

Thank you darling. I'll get my shrink on the job.

There. Shall we all go?
Last edited by Exodies on Sat May 04, 2013 4:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Sat May 04, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
Pikrass wrote:So they have a home! Or is it the sandcastle? Maybe it has enough depth to live in?

Great idea, Pikrass! Never got comfortable enough with JavaScript myself to use it for more than basic UI stuff.

Thanks. :) Could someone with good coverage of the OTT signpost at least the spoiler detector so that blitzers can see it?
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat May 04, 2013 4:48 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:
mscha wrote:
Smithers wrote:

So the optimum would be to spoiler a screen's worth, so it could be expanded and shrunk without scrolling. We need a survey to find the median screen size, possibly weighted by strength of revulsion to scrolling.

Well, you probably don't want me as the standard: My screen's in portrait orientation, and your entire post, un-spoilered, just fits on the screen.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat May 04, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

In "Sightings" news: Fark had a photoshop contest called "Castles". One of them was a bit amusing:

Spoiler:
everybodypanic.jpg
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Sat May 04, 2013 4:52 pm UTC

Megan begins to halucinate...
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 04, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Davidy wrote:Megan begins to halucinate...

That's a rather serious hallucination. She's forgotten Cueball's name!

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Sat May 04, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

And uphill they go.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 04, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

If nobody else is going to, I might as well...
SPRINGSTONG...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

fatness

Postby fatness » Sat May 04, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

mscha wrote:If nobody else is going to, I might as well...

I was going to but suffered an ONG freeze and couldn't come up with anything.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat May 04, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:And uphill they go.

Would make sense for the land to slope upwards as they move inland. I wonder if they'll get to the hills where the river comes from.

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Sat May 04, 2013 5:18 pm UTC

fatness wrote:

Frozen ONG on a stick. The perfect dessert after hamburgers with Ketchup Blitz. :P

Montov

Postby Montov » Sat May 04, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

My prediction is that they will hit a cliff.

But finally, we've some sort of an answer: they have a home!
Maybe LaPetite lives with them. As a sex slave. Or a pet. Or something awful.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 04, 2013 5:23 pm UTC

Montov wrote:My prediction is that they will hit a cliff.

But finally, we've some sort of an answer: they have a home!
Maybe LaPetite lives with them. As a sex slave. Or a pet. Or something awful.

She's a kid, let's not go there.

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Sat May 04, 2013 5:24 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:

We never knew his actual name. Maybe it IS Marco...
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 04, 2013 5:32 pm UTC

Davidy wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

We never knew his actual name. Maybe it IS Marco...

Then maybe Megan's nickname is Polo, so they can get a call-and-response going?

fatness

Postby fatness » Sat May 04, 2013 5:34 pm UTC

FullOfIt wrote:
fatness wrote:

Frozen ONG on a stick. The perfect dessert after hamburgers with Ketchup Blitz. :P

With candy sprinkles!

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat May 04, 2013 5:42 pm UTC

blindposting
I notice that frames 1089, 1091, 1094 and 1097 (aubronwood) are nearly identical. Is TGLR being lazy???

Copernicium112

Postby Copernicium112 » Sat May 04, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:

If it was drying up it could recede up the river channel, and get arbitrarily far from the sea1
1big

We do know that the river1 has in the Past receded2 and had not yet reached the sea3, so it would certainly seem as though the Dryness causes the river to terminate farther upstream.

1: small and far
2: TimeFrame 320
3. TimeFrame 563
Crescat tempus; vita excolatur

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Sat May 04, 2013 5:48 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:
jetpac wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:Edit: Found it here!

How often does he update those counts? It still has me at 28.

Last update was 2013-05-01 02:00 UTC.

Any way we could get it to parse once every 24 newpix?

It ain't that easy. I've been filling my own database with scraped forum pages but there are two main obstacles:
  1. You have to test for the postings since the last update - which can be none or any arbitrary number. (Well not really any, but a rather large one.) This could be automated by passing login information, but that requires some programming effort or by brute forcing it and hammering the server. I don't think Kieryn has opted for one of both options and instead goes for a manual update. (I do this too.)
  2. There is always the problem with the moderated first posts. To catch them I deliberatly lag behind about 500 to 1000 posts to let the mods approve posts from new users instead of rescraping all pages.

Sorry blind posting here...

I've unfortunately been restrained outside for 2 days... and haven't updated my database since I last posted such.
Anyway, yes, I manually update, for now. I have been doing the same rough thing as Sciscitor with regards to the lag for moderated posts, but occasionally i refetch the whole set. I will be updating with the latest data tonight, and aim to start automating the process. Unfortunately I cannot use the NLP on the server, so that requires me to run on my home machine, but i will see what I can do.

Wow, I have so much to catch up on and so much fun stuff to create for y'all. See you all soon... Happy waiting!
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sat May 04, 2013 5:56 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:blindposting
I notice that frames 1089, 1091, 1094 and 1097 (aubronwood) are nearly identical. Is TGLR being lazy???

According to geekwagon's image difference feature, they are completely identical. :?

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat May 04, 2013 5:58 pm UTC

No, it appears that the Book of Aubron has gotten glitchy in the last half-dozen frames. If you check mscha's list, you'll find the frames are progressing normally. (My own downloads agree.) But for some reason the BxkAxn is repeating a couple of frames here and there. Perhaps it encountered server glitches while grabbing newpix.

ETA:
Earthling on Mars wrote:

According to geekwagon's image difference feature, they are completely identical. :?

Looks like geekwagon got at least one extra frame, as well, picking up frame 1090 again as frame 1094.
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Sat May 04, 2013 6:27 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”