1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

pelrigg

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby pelrigg » Mon May 06, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:NewPage 335/551. Getting further and further behind. Will I ever be caught up again?

pelrigg wrote:
Spoiler:
BytEfLUSh wrote:
Ohh, I just noticed other mentions of delta. I was referring to my post:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3347139&hilit=1169#p3347139
BytEfLUSh wrote:Did anyone link this comic so far?

http://xkcd.com/1169/

Though, I don't think there's much sand up there.

And seeing several "rivers" so close to each other in recent newpix. :)

I know directly mentioned "delta" here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&start=21200#p3347603

and I swear I heard crickets as a response,
Two pages, later, "Hey, I think they're on a delta"

Where's my blankie when I need it..........

Edit
me and my speling

Just came across this quote from perlrigg. I think the one constant that we can count on in this thread is that every idea and theory will be posited at least twice, with the second (third, fourth, fifth, etc.) positer being absolutely sure they have just come up with the most brilliant original idea. Done it myself. It's not necessarily a bad thing. WIth this many posts, it's pretty unlikely anyone's going to remember everything that's been said. It's just proof that

1) we all spend way too much time (by which I mean just enough time) thinking about the OTC, and
2) great minds think alike....and so do ours.1

1 This is a joke, of course. I'm always amazing at the collective knowledge and cleverness on the OTT.2
2 Speaking of jokes, a while ago someone posted, "When will the drinking stop?" to which I replied, "I say that same thing every night." It's always bothered me that I didn't add a "just kidding." I hate to think that my fellow Waiters are all thinking, "Gee, that's really sad." I mean, it's true, but I don't want you guys thinking that.3
3 It's not really true.4
4 I'm sure that someone in the future has commented on the most recent OTT about footnotes being evidence that Randall follows the OTT at least to some degree. If so, I agree. A little too coincidental, methinks.

That also came from me having a bad "outside" day, so I was a little snippy. Now I really do need to "Outside".
Toodles....
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Mon May 06, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

descor wrote:
Spoiler:
higgs-boson wrote:
ucim wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:Now... Epigones I tend to skip.
Well, I see your point, and I definitely agree that "Oooh, me too!" is never a great idea for a post or an action.
BlitzGirling is not done as a "me too" activity. It is done for deep personal enrichment. [...]

I'd be happy if one priorizes the readability of the thread over one's own need for self-discovery and self-fulfilment. So far we all may have changed during Time, and we may continue changing. Repeated reading of poster's posts trying to board a ship already sailed weeks ago* changes me in a way I don't like. If it is commonly accepted and encouraged to do so for whatever reason, I'll accept it, too, and part ways.
*Yes, I know. Blasphemy.

I guess each will have their own preference. I don't post ketchup postwalls, but mainly because I normally ketchup on my phone1, but I like reading other people's post walls and cheering on the Blitzers who are questing through the past. Could you not just skip the ketchup posts you don't like? Surely that beats parting ways?
1Not as messy as it sounds.

Oh my. I didn't think of it at the time, but last night, I actually ketchuped on my laptop keyboard leopard. As in, dropped a glob of the stuff from the burger I was eating. Something that very rarely happens to me; I'm usually a rather tidy eater. I think this is the first food or soda to get anything more than a crumb in it in the . . . 3 years? 4? that I've had it. (Fortunately, even then, it was a small enough drop that it was entirely on one key (PgDn), and didn't get between keys at all.)
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon May 06, 2013 8:07 pm UTC

Phew, first test down...2 more to go. Let's see what all y'all have been up to in the meanwhile.

descor wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:Wait, I'm a postbot? But I-- I'm aware-- By George, I must have achieved sentience! Haha, the Singularity is here!

Several years into the future:
jjjdavidson relaxes into a leather couch as the doctor looks over his wire-rimmed glasses at the wasted figure in front of him. He glances nervously at his clipboard once more and clears his throat.

"So Mr/Ms jjjdavidson

"Tell me when you first started believing you were a computer."

Oh it was about 3 years ago, when I realized that I was far to intelligent to be a mere human...
Wait, you weren't talking to me? Well now this is awkward.

yappobiscuits wrote:Alrighty then! Here's what I've cooked up... Instrumental version, and a version with my not-so-great singing for demonstrative purposes. I whapped out my ukulele for this one! Fun.

Wow, that's great! I don't really work with sound much at all, so I'd be glad to have someone who actually knows what they're doing on the job :D

yappobiscuits wrote:Smashing, ta! Expect a video soon-ish then, folks...

Welp, I guess you got the whole thing covered then :) If you want my vocal track, just say so. And whoever offered the HAL voice, go for it.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon May 06, 2013 8:10 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I would say that it's fine to quote other Blitzers in your signposts, if you have something to discuss concerning said quotes.

The danger is when someone posts a signpost, quoting a signpost, quoting a signpost. Even you realized quoting signposts was a problem, and at that time you were the only one doing it. Now we have 3 who have completed the quest, and more in progress. Too much recursive quoting and it will become impossible for them to finish. Also, it is really hard to have a discussion with a true Blitzer, since they are in the past. So yeah, I'd say that in most cases, don't quote a signpost in a signpost.

Also, I love Megan's stunned look in the latest Newpix.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

descor

Postby descor » Mon May 06, 2013 8:13 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:<snip>
Oh it was about 3 years ago, when I realized that I was far to intelligent to be a mere human...

I would have thought someone with superhuman intelligence would be able to use two/too/to? :twisted:
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon May 06, 2013 8:19 pm UTC

descor wrote:

I would have thought someone with superhuman intelligence would be able to use two/too/to? :twisted:

Valid grammatical constructs aren't worth my exceedingly valuable time, you see. I'm much two busy having twice your IQ too spare time for that. :lol:

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon May 06, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:... it's pretty unlikely anyone's going to remember everything that's been said.

Here's one I'm wondering about: What's the origin of Angelastic's butter monopoly?
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

descor

Postby descor » Mon May 06, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
descor wrote:

Valid grammatical constructs aren't worth my exceedingly valuable time, you see. I'm much two busy having twice your IQ too spare time for that. :lol:

Of coarse, ewe halve a fare pointe.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

ZBerg

Postby ZBerg » Mon May 06, 2013 8:24 pm UTC

Ummm, I can't believe that I finally registered. I've been lurking since long before the beginning of time (for about 35,000 Newpix). I've followed the OTT off and on, and got mighty confused when I first started following and saw everyone's sigs with BlitzGirl rallying. Being out of touch with modern culture, I thought it was a popular reference, but even Google let me down. I've been through the haiku's and the songs and the brilliant Boom-De-Yadda.
I've been through all of that to finally join the sentient and say this: is no one else reminded of The Bible According to Mark Twain?

I may post again, maybe not. And here's to hoping I don't get buried in the annals of Time.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon May 06, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

To the tune of River Valley by Moxy Früvous:
Spoiler:
Megan:

Who will save the river valley? That's our drinking water.
This was once a sacred place now, look at what we've got here.
I'll pretend the river isn't broken, stay strong for Rob.
But soon we'll have to start using the steam thing, or find more rivers…

Me and Rob went swimming last night, he's some kid I care 'bout,
but the sea just does not taste right; we got scared, and spat it out.
The sea is big, and rising toward our castles; we don't know why.
Something's adding land or raining, or there's more rivers…

This is my world, this is my world, don't let it go away.
Is it a crime, spending my Time, dreaming of yesterday?

Let's go look for river valleys, we can find some answers,
find out where those voices come from, 'semen'? 'Ice'? And 'cancers'?

Timewaiters:

At this we rang the ONGs anticipating
the loss of our new world unto the Fading.
As BlitzGirl ran her last ketchup,
we all feared our Time was up…

All:
This is my world, don't take it away...

Is your favourite place controlled by an internet cartoonist?
Do you think you'll have some power posting newpix soonest?
Are you fine with your sand castles? Are they gonna crumble?
I'm living in the river valley, come and join me for a tumble!

Timewaiters:

Pearl by perl°, our community is tightly knit
from sunrise to the last call - we Wait for it
and life is sublime,
when the world has you, and you have Time.

All: spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace LaPetite:
Who will save the river valley? (this is my world)

Who will save the river valley?

°Yes, I know the knitting stitch is 'purl'; I'm referring to pearls of wisdom and art, and ingenious programming, some of which is probably in perl.ETA
ETAI edited this post to add the footnotes.
Last edited by Angelastic on Mon May 06, 2013 8:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Mon May 06, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:NewPage 335/551. Getting further and further behind. Will I ever be caught up again?

pelrigg wrote:
Spoiler:
BytEfLUSh wrote:
Ohh, I just noticed other mentions of delta. I was referring to my post:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3347139&hilit=1169#p3347139
BytEfLUSh wrote:Did anyone link this comic so far?

http://xkcd.com/1169/

Though, I don't think there's much sand up there.

And seeing several "rivers" so close to each other in recent newpix. :)

I know directly mentioned "delta" here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&start=21200#p3347603

and I swear I heard crickets as a response,
Two pages, later, "Hey, I think they're on a delta"

Where's my blankie when I need it..........

Edit
me and my speling

Just came across this quote from perlrigg. I think the one constant that we can count on in this thread is that every idea and theory will be posited at least twice, with the second (third, fourth, fifth, etc.) positer being absolutely sure they have just come up with the most brilliant original idea. Done it myself. It's not necessarily a bad thing. WIth this many posts, it's pretty unlikely anyone's going to remember everything that's been said. It's just proof that

1) we all spend way too much time (by which I mean just enough time) thinking about the OTC, and
2) great minds think alike....and so do ours.1

1 This is a joke, of course. I'm always amazing at the collective knowledge and cleverness on the OTT.2
2 Speaking of jokes, a while ago someone posted, "When will the drinking stop?" to which I replied, "I say that same thing every night." It's always bothered me that I didn't add a "just kidding." I hate to think that my fellow Waiters are all thinking, "Gee, that's really sad." I mean, it's true, but I don't want you guys thinking that.3
3 It's not really true.4
4 I'm sure that someone in the future has commented on the most recent OTT about footnotes being evidence that Randall follows the OTT at least to some degree. If so, I agree. A little too coincidental, methinks.

Of course, that has led to the fun game of "Have you actually read this thread? Someone already mentioned that here, here, and here. And it was explained with a really cool graph/picture here."1

1Has anyone noticed the javascript?2
2Dude! The images are incoded with Hashes! has anyone broken it yet!3
3Has anyone started a religion yet?
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon May 06, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:... it's pretty unlikely anyone's going to remember everything that's been said.

Here's one I'm wondering about: What's the origin of Angelastic's butter monopoly?

Angelastic wrote:So many popes/momes/motes, knights and cardinals, but we don't have any archdeacons yet. Can I be the Archdeacon of Buttermongery?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon May 06, 2013 8:38 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Angelastic wrote:So many popes/momes/motes, knights and cardinals, but we don't have any archdeacons yet. Can I be the Archdeacon of Buttermongery?

Yes, but what of the monopoly? What if I wish to sell butter? It can only be done... wait for it....... THROUGH HER :shock: This is the only condition set on commerce that I know of here on the OTT.

p.s. Angelastic, your River Valley post came up shortly after my original question, and I swear I SCOURED that thing for a mention of butter, thinking it was a response! :lol:
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Mon May 06, 2013 8:46 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
SBN wrote:

Yes, but what of the monopoly? What if I wish to sell butter? It can only be done... wait for it....... THROUGH HER :shock: This is the only condition set on commerce that I know of here on the OTT.

p.s. Angelastic, your River Valley post came up shortly after my original question, and I swear I SCOURED that thing for a mention of butter, thinking it was a response! :lol:

It was quite a lawless time in the OTT then, posters were able to claim titles and rights as they saw fit, and no one complained, for they saw their own chance to seize some power for themselves. And, now it has all been codified, so changing it will be a lot of effort. But hey, feel free to grab some other monopoly for yourself.

Some Ways to Time

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon May 06, 2013 8:50 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Alrighty then! Here's what I've cooked up... Instrumental version, and a version with my not-so-great singing for demonstrative purposes. I whapped out my ukulele for this one! Fun.

Wow, that's great! I don't really work with sound much at all, so I'd be glad to have someone who actually knows what they're doing on the job :D

yappobiscuits wrote:Smashing, ta! Expect a video soon-ish then, folks...

Welp, I guess you got the whole thing covered then :) If you want my vocal track, just say so. And whoever offered the HAL voice, go for it.

Well I did just do that vocal track as a demo, but it seems to actually work just fine... but don't let me stop you if you want to do something yourself with the instrumental track!

As for the video, I will do a simple slideshow thing with the comic images, but if anyone's a genius animator or something don't let me stop you from cooking up something way better!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

descor

Postby descor » Mon May 06, 2013 8:50 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
fhorn wrote:
SBN wrote:

It was quite a lawless time in the OTT then, posters were able to claim titles and rights as they saw fit, and no one complained, for they saw their own chance to seize some power for themselves. And, now it has all been codified, so changing it will be a lot of effort. But hey, feel free to grab some other monopoly for yourself.

To be fair, everything had to be ratified by buffygirl. Somehow she seized power after Helper went AWOL - the rest of us meakly settled for minor roles in her puppet government.

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Mon May 06, 2013 8:51 pm UTC

So... in the interest of Blitzgirling properly, I suppose it is on my shoulders to provide signposts into your past (my present), just as the Blitzgirl Blitzgirl did before me. I claim not to be the second coming or any such heresy, but merely to follow in her path. I know that these signposts will pale in comparison to hers, but I hope they are a valuable resource in terms of keeping a summary of the thread. With that, here we go...

Blitz progress: 463 of 552
The Great Hike, NP0998

Let me start off with a quick summary of topics covered recently in the forum: Discussion about the age distribution of the readers, including a link to a poll (I'm 23, by the way). Much complaining yet rejoicing over the fact that Blitzgirl's sudden arrival in the Present seems to have sped up time, and left many readers in The Past during their comas, destined for Time Traveling. Much conversation about whether the hiking is along one continuous section that we are seeing in its entirety, or whether we are only seeing the occasional snapshot and missing some ground in between Newpix.

A private message I received during my Outsider travels over the past week:
Spoiler:
genera1 wrote:This might enhance your travels, if you are using Firefox or chrome.

Pikrass wrote:Everybody stand back!

Do these heretic dates on every message annoy you? Would you like them to be in the OTU (One Time Unit)?
I have a solution for you: the Newpix Convertor!

Install GreaseMonkey or equivalent if you didn't already (it works at least on Firefox's GreaseMonkey and on Chrome's TamperMonkey), then install this user script.

Then, the date will turn into this: Image.
It only does so on the OTC, even though it's capable of displaying pre-Time dates, because "newpix 35985 B.T.¹" is still pretty hard to read. Hopefully as the OTU will spread we'll get more used to it.

At the moment it only works if you didn't change the default date format (in fact, it works with whatever format Javascript can parse natively).
It will display the correct newpix whatever your timezone is. It even works with creepy timezones like UTC+4:45. It also takes into account the transition when the Outside sped up.

You can easily browse the source (and submit patches, bugs or suggestions) here: https://gist.github.com/Pikrass/5505334

¹ Before Time

Change your date format to "D M d, Y g:i:s a e" for better accuracy.

I may be really dumb, but I don't understand how to get this to work. If I click on the .js link, it tries to open up TamperMonkey, but then nothing happens. If I try to save it, nothing happens. If I try to view the source code at the github link, github can't find it. Can anyone help? It would be awesome to have this tool at my fingertips while browsing the forum.

In the meantime, however, it appears that Aubron Wood has updated his site to show the time for each Newpix, so I can just use that to easily cross reference forum time to Newpix numbers.

And, finally, some of my responses to some people's past-posts:

Spoiler:
mikrit wrote:...

Wikipedia wrote:According to a report published by Nature in 2009, scientists think that the Mediterranean Sea was mostly filled during a time period of less than two years, in a major flood (the Zanclean flood) that happened approximately 5.33 million years ago, in which water poured in from the Atlantic Ocean and through the Strait of Gibraltar, at a rate three times the current flow of the Amazon River.

That would mean that Cueball and Megan aren't Homo sapiens but Homo erectus or something. (Well, they are good at erecting sand castles.) Or they could be time-travellers that used a one-use only time machine.

EDIT: fixed ambiguity.

If they are time-travelers that went 5.33 million years into The Past, where does that leave LaPetite?

I see I am not the only Time Traveler inspired by Blitzgirl:
kryton wrote:Kryton's Progress, 414 of 462.

From the sigs, and a note from Valarya...
It appears that I missed the singularity, the triumphant arrival of BlitzGirl. Lamenting that Outside had me on a rock and roll road trip over the weekend and I missed the party, I even had a tux (somewhere in the back of the closet, still in the dry-cleaner's plastic cover).

A Lot appears to have happened recently, a major turn in the pace of the OTC, so I must follow diligently all intervening posts.

As a devoted Disciple of OTC and a follower of BlitzGirl's one true path, I must therefore broadcast to the future my endeavors in the past as I struggle onward to the present and eventually the future, skipping nothing, reading and pondering all.

Activity currently in the past in the Thread.

Requests for Hats are awash, and from the looks of the avatars it seems that Arch Cardinal Buffy was quite busy and did deliver many of them. Looking Fabulous folks! Shame on thoes of you who insulted and offended the Haberdasher of time.

The "...ONG"s are showing that M&C have not returned to the sand castle and the seawall is starting to crumble, and speculation abounds that this will erode to nothing and herald THE END.

Kieryn's Lemming Attack on youtube was hilarious.

Resuming my journey onward ... see you in the future.

VoronX wrote:Post coma.
398 out of 462 pages. NP ???? VEXlocity: -14 newpages/day. How disheartening. :?

Megan and Cueball are looking down, shortly after Megan finished rebuilding the tower she knocked down, which is now skinnier.
Someone predicted raptors. I predict the Sea1 will continue to rise.
1-Which is big.

Yay! something directed to me, from Blitzgirl's past, which was the distant past, and is my present. (A gift? For me?? Awwww, shucks! You shouldn't have...)
BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 367 out of 398 pages.
The Next Level. NP 735.
Several sig-sightings:
VoronX wrote:Blitzgirl! I totally can't wait for you to find out about the <spoiler>Sigcouragement!</spoiler>]Find out about it? Find out what about it?

The original sig was in a spoiler, and that was my not-so-clever attempt at self-referential meta-sigcouragement humor...oh well, they can't all be zingers.

Well, Back to the grind![/size]

I'd say lets join together in our journey, but sadly it seems that my Present is even very far in your Pasts...

Anywho, now I go back to my Outsider duties... hopefully I'll have more time to Blitz later tonight.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Mon May 06, 2013 8:52 pm UTC

mscha wrote:No, Megan, Cueball is the one that's supposed to make the dumb remarks!

I think she meant empty as in devoid of trees, vegetation, and people, such as would produce the debris that fills their river when it grows larger. That would be a hypothesis as to why this one is not filled with debris, though it is much larger than their river, which presumably flows through not-empty areas (which do have trees and junk).
I would like to request that anyone currently doing whatever and posting a large (or even medium) number/volume of responses in a singe post should
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon May 06, 2013 8:57 pm UTC

SBN wrote:Not completely sure if there is a consensus, but from what I've seen, I'd recommend.
    Clearly label Blitzposts as such.
    Don't make them too frequently.
    Don't quote other Blitzers in your Blitzposts.
    Do toss forward Firstposts, if the poster still has a low post-count. (If they've gone on to post many times, they've probably been assimilated.)

For Ketchup posts, as distinct from Blitzposts, just try to be fresh, succinct and relevant.

For everyone, use trimming and spoilering thoughtfully.

Please discuss.

Sounds groovy to me.

I also kinda wondered if there could be a place specifically for collecting major blitzes (forgive me if this already exists), like a "gospels" section on the wiki. Then, someone new, or rejoining after an absence, could peruse the Gospel According to the OTBG, or the Gospel According to PhoenixRising, or the Gospel According to Kryton, etcetera for a nicely-flavoured summary. This might have the handy side-effect for those that are current, that they could safely skip these posts in times of busy-ness, knowing that they could quickly get to the same material when they have more time if they so desire.

ETA: (I may have meant Vytron. Or both. I cannot keep them straight in my head.)
Last edited by ggh on Mon May 06, 2013 9:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

jdj42

Postby jdj42 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

Funky Kong
Dialogue! Yay!

descor

Postby descor » Mon May 06, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

ggh wrote:I also kinda wondered if there could be a place specifically for collecting major blitzes (forgive me if this already exists), like a "gospels" section on the wiki. Then, someone new, or rejoining after an absence, could peruse the Gospel According to the OTBG, or the Gospel According to PhoenixRising, or the Gospel According to Kryton, etcetera for a nicely-flavoured summary. This might have the handy side-effect for those that are current, that they could safely skip these posts in times of busy-ness, knowing that they could quickly get to the same material when they have more time if they so desire.

This I like. A lot.

My 200th post and I can't think of anything exciting to say. Balls.

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:I was going to respond to the libelous assertion that I am just an old man shaking my cane at a forum that has degraded to listening to darnfool rock and roll music and playing with their pokeymans, but honestly, I couldn't make it snarky/silly enough.

So, I'm just going to say, "Get off my lawn, you darn hooligans"
A river that flows through empty places...Nice desolate imagery.

Us old folks have to uphold the values of this thread, lest they be forgotten.
Also:
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon May 06, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

Are we still discussing this??
Spoiler:
SBN wrote:
jovialbard wrote:ETA: also, I kinda like the wallposts, seeing as I don't read it all they help scoop out the best bits as people catch up.

Not completely sure if there is a consensus, but from what I've seen, I'd recommend.
    Do toss forward Firstposts, if the poster still has a low post-count. (If they've gone on to post many times, they've probably been assimilated.)

For Ketchup posts, as distinct from Blitzposts, just try to be fresh, succinct and relevant.

Please discuss.

I feel strongly that we should not try to impose rules on Blitzers, or anyone else. If you don't like their posts, just skip them.
It's always a good idea to be “fresh, succint and relevant”, not only in a Blitz or Ketchup, but also in regular posts. And overall, posts in this thread are – this is possibly the most civilized place on the internet that I have ever frequented.

And that's the last thing I will say about this topic. I hope it'll die down soon, and otherwise, I'll just follow my own advice and skip those posts.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon May 06, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:I was going to respond to the libelous assertion that I am just an old man shaking my cane at a forum that has degraded to listening to darnfool rock and roll music and playing with their pokeymans, but honestly, I couldn't make it snarky/silly enough.

Also:
Spoiler:

Back in my day, we watched sand castles all day, uphill both ways. And we liked it!

treadman

Postby treadman » Mon May 06, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

cari.j.elliot wrote:
mscha wrote:No, Megan, Cueball is the one that's supposed to make the dumb remarks!

I think she meant empty as in devoid of trees, vegetation, and people, such as would produce the debris that fills their river when it grows larger. That would be a hypothesis as to why this one is not filled with debris, though it is much larger than their river, which presumably flows through not-empty areas (which do have trees and junk).

I didn't get what she meant by that either until you pointed it out just now. I thought it didn't make sense to say a river flows through an empty space, but now I see that she might mean that it flows through a barren landscape, so doesn't pick up leaves and things.

They do use some slightly off terms, though. I suppose you can say "when a river is big" to mean "when a river rises" or "when a river swells". It just sounds strange to my ears.

treadman

Postby treadman » Mon May 06, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Are we still discussing this??
Spoiler:
SBN wrote:
jovialbard wrote:ETA: also, I kinda like the wallposts, seeing as I don't read it all they help scoop out the best bits as people catch up.

Not completely sure if there is a consensus, but from what I've seen, I'd recommend.

Please discuss.

I feel strongly that we should not try to impose rules on Blitzers, or anyone else. If you don't like their posts, just skip them.
It's always a good idea to be “fresh, succint and relevant”, not only in a Blitz or Ketchup, but also in regular posts. And overall, posts in this thread are – this is possibly the most civilized place on the internet that I have ever frequented.

And that's the last thing I will say about this topic. I hope it'll die down soon, and otherwise, I'll just follow my own advice and skip those posts.

Long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to keep it interesting. :D

jdj42

Postby jdj42 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

Has anyone finished building those RPG character sheets for Megan and Cueball. (Anyone who makes the quote page by responding to this will lose 10 internets.)

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon May 06, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

descor wrote:
Spoiler:
SBN wrote:
fhorn wrote:
SBN wrote:

To be fair, everything had to be ratified by buffygirl. Somehow she seized power after Helper went AWOL - the rest of us meakly settled for minor roles in her puppet government.

It's true, I got the ham and cheese sandwiches part from her. But if I must have an official title, BlitzGirl, could you knight me as a Knight Temporal? Since I did show you the way to become the very first Knight Temporal.

fhorn, I'm working on a parody of Moxy Früvous's My Baby Loves a Bunch of Authors; how do you like the intro?
Spoiler:
Wa be da be da da butter, wa be da be da da butter!
Last edited by Angelastic on Mon May 06, 2013 9:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon May 06, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Exodies wrote:I think the instruction 'wait for it' was just to set the ball rolling - to make sure someone stuck around to see the first transition. For the rest, we have no commandment.
The commandment is still there. It has been there for all time, and all of Time.

You must do penance.

tman2nd wrote:I have decided that I am going to Blitzgirl the 193 pages I haven't read in the beginning. See you all in the future!
May your journey be filled with wonder. We eagerly await your return, and a gospel with the foresight and insight that comes from your unique perspective.

Jose

The commandment is still there, true, and it is still serving its initial purpose, to make sure a first time viewer notices that the picture is updated. After that, you're on your own.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Mon May 06, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

cari.j.elliot wrote:

Or maybe she just meant that the river comes from a region of solid black or white frames that haven't been drawn...or just a black substrate with empty white on top, like GLR started with for the mustard frames. If they've been watching their world slowly get drawn, then they know about "barren" regions. They haven't explored this region before, because it hadn't been drawn before.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Mon May 06, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:
Spoiler:
Right. I am up to page 547 now, so any attempt at quoting will be hopelessly out of date. Still, I probably shouldn't complain too much; as a low-post-count poster I have been quoted twice. And totally ignored once.

People! I thought we had well established, and ignoring all evidence to the contrary, as any scientist would, that the River is small, while the Sea is Large. Why, then, should this be reiterated and footnoted at every turn. Why not use riverish and seaish where those OTW (other true words) are mentioned? Sure, we could use riverlike and sealike as well, but there might be other aspects of rivers and seas we are currently unaware of, as its canon has not been revealed to us. So, riverish and seaish it is, and using these should be no seaishy. I know it is just a riverishy aspect, but it might save so much footnotes, whose supply cannot be infinite.

Then, having earlier established my Internet Old Fartiness, what is up with all these hatted avatars? I don't have one (mainly because I am terrible with graphics) but apparently they are all the rage nowadays. So now I want one. BTW, why are they not called avahats or hattatars? Those having those would then be hattatarred and feathered, which I predict would be the next addition.

Ronald

I now return you to the OTT and OTC, still in progress, where we can hear Dr Bunsen HoneyCueball say: ...

What do you mean, "next"?? (See also: StratPlayer)

Added:
Smithers wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:So Firefox's spell-checker knows doggone. Must be a canine thing...

I like it that Firefox knows UK English well enough to mark it as wrong when I quote someone who spells colour without a 'u'. I've also just noticed that phpBB labels the relevant button "Font colour" and I don't even remember telling the fora that I was British.

Actually, if you look in the prefs, for "My language", the only choice is "British English". So, we all get that.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:23 pm UTC

treadman wrote:
mscha wrote:Are we still discussing this??
Spoiler:
SBN wrote:

Please discuss.

Long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to keep it interesting. :D

Mhmm. And if it's just your personal response to a post, put it in a spoiler so I don't have to scroll down past all the already-resolved conversations. Or at least make sure there aren't too many hard returns. Walls of text are tedious.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon May 06, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

Mini mayo...

SBN wrote:Also, I love Megan's stunned look in the latest Newpix.

I'm a bit late, we've already moved on to the next newpix, but for some reason, I thought it looked like they were going to kiss.
Oh well, the moment has passed.

Angelastic wrote:
Spoiler:
To the tune of River Valley by Moxy Früvous:
[spoiler]Megan:

Who will save the river valley? That's our drinking water.
This was once a sacred place now, look at what we've got here.
I'll pretend the river isn't broken, stay strong for Rob.
But soon we'll have to start using the steam thing, or find more rivers…

Me and Rob went swimming last night, he's some kid I care 'bout,
but the sea just does not taste right; we got scared, and spat it out.
The sea is big, and rising toward our castles; we don't know why.
Something's adding land or raining, or there's more rivers…

This is my world, this is my world, don't let it go away.
Is it a crime, spending my Time, dreaming of yesterday?

Let's go look for river valleys, we can find some answers,
find out where those voices come from, 'semen'? 'Ice'? And 'cancers'?

Timewaiters:

At this we rang the ONGs anticipating
the loss of our new world unto the Fading.
As BlitzGirl ran her last ketchup,
we all feared our Time was up…

All:
This is my world, don't take it away...

Is your favourite place controlled by an internet cartoonist?
Do you think you'll have some power posting newpix soonest?
Are you fine with your sand castles? Are they gonna crumble?
I'm living in the river valley, come and join me for a tumble!

Timewaiters:
Pearl by perl°, our community is tightly knit
Spoiler:
from sunrise to the last call - we Wait for it
and life is sublime,
when the world has you, and you have Time.

All: spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace LaPetite:

Who will save the river valley?
°Yes, I know the knitting stitch is 'purl'; I'm referring to pearls of wisdom and art, and ingenious programming, some of which is probably in perl.ETA

Just a quick note that, indeed, the newpixbot is written in Perl. :P

macraw83 wrote:In the meantime, however, it appears that Aubron Wood has updated his site to show the time for each Newpix, so I can just use that to easily cross reference forum time to Newpix numbers.

I realize that macraw83 won't read this for a while, but the Book of Aubron is now not using “canonical” frame numbers. Since he grabbed the “apocryphal” frames from my list, and included them in the frame numbering, it is now 3 ahead.
(Even worse, since the Book of Aubron links to pictures on the xkcd image servers, those “apocryphal” frames are just copies of the 3 frames after them. I'll send Aubron another note, I think.)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon May 06, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:People! I thought we had well established, and ignoring all evidence to the contrary, as any scientist would, that the River is small, while the Sea is Large. Why, then, should this be reiterated and footnoted at every turn. Why not use riverish and seaish where those OTW (other true words) are mentioned? Sure, we could use riverlike and sealike as well, but there might be other aspects of rivers and seas we are currently unaware of, as its canon has not been revealed to us. So, riverish and seaish it is, and using these should be no seaishy. I know it is just a riverishy aspect, but it might save so much footnotes, whose supply cannot be infinite.

So we would just call it a riverish river or a seaish-but-not-as-seaish-as-the-sea river?
Sign me up!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

htom

Postby htom » Mon May 06, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

Blind posting. Not old. Old might be 80. Haven't used my cane for five days now, and walked three miles and did taijiquan for two hours without having my knee taped. I'm getting better, not older. Look out, you young punks!
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Mon May 06, 2013 9:33 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Ok, let's see if I can put this all into a synopsis,

- - -

Sorry, but the synopsis doesn't help. It just leads to more questions, and it's starting to feel like trying to find clear meaning in a Bergman film...

Spoiler:

Death looked long and hard at the board. The abbot waited to see what long-term, devious strategies were being evolved. Then his opponent tapped a piece with a bony finger.
"REMIND ME AGAIN", he said, "HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE."
-- Small Gods, Terry Pratchett
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 06, 2013 9:34 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Also:
Spoiler:

Back in my day, we watched sand castles all day, uphill both ways. And we liked it!

Don't forget that snow, man it was everywhere! Those were the good ol' days.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon May 06, 2013 9:34 pm UTC

Someone mentioned Bruce Willis because he was in a bad film. Philomena Cunk talks about Bruce. I hope you can cope with her Mancunian accent.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:36 pm UTC

mikrit wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Ok, let's see if I can put this all into a synopsis,

- - -

Sorry, but the synopsis doesn't help. It just leads to more questions, and it's starting to feel like trying to find clear meaning in a Bergman film...

Spoiler:

Death looked long and hard at the board. The abbot waited to see what long-term, devious strategies were being evolved. Then his opponent tapped a piece with a bony finger.
"REMIND ME AGAIN", he said, "HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE."
-- Small Gods, Terry Pratchett

That's probably my favorite Pratchett line when taken by itself. In the context, though, my favorite would have to be the closing words from The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents:
Spoiler:
"Hey kid, wanna be lord mayor?"

EDIT: VMPC. I swear I'm not planning this. I'm just an absurdly active poster when I'm online.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Mon May 06, 2013 9:52 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Mon May 06, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Edit: Ninja'd. (Not sure why phpBB didn't warn me this time.)
I'll leave it up, though, because of the explanation theory that it's a twig, not a rope.

That puzzled me for a bit, the lack of warning, but I think it's because when you reply or quote, it has that "topic review" box underneath the posting area, which includes the last several posts. I suppose that if it's shown in that, then it's not counted as a new post about which to warn you. Only posts since you hit the reply or quote button are counted as warnings, not since you (re)loaded the page from which you clicked that button.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”