1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Kieryn

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Wed May 08, 2013 1:06 pm UTC

edfel wrote:Hey !
I've toyed along drawing a map of the [un]explored world, trying to fit as precisely to the data at hand. The distances are based on the number of newpix needed to go from one point to the other (e.g., when Megan or Cueball left the sandcastle in the Sandcastle Eon, it usually took 60-70 newpix... assuming they went to the tents, they must be ~30 CueganNewpix away from the beach, and so on).
I've got an svg version of this, so it'll be easy to update.

Nice job, love it, very useful. I think the high ground / cliffs on the far side of the big river need to come further to the coast though -- remember the cross-section where the 2 delta flows converge? The cliff on the far side is there. (frame is around 1121).

Hey begs a question - Has anyone created a direct link to frame PNG via frame/newpix number yet? If this gap is still there by tonight (8pm eastern) I will add this to my site.
mscha - maybe you could easily provide this, if you haven't already?
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

VoronX

Postby VoronX » Wed May 08, 2013 1:07 pm UTC

(Greetings from the Present!)
foilman wrote:lONG way down...
Spoiler:

Whoah!
That is just too perfect. Outsider event have lately been meshing nicely with time. Just last Sunday 62 newpix ago, I was kayaking down this cliff-lined River1:
mather-gorge-potomac-river.jpg
Mather Gorge, Potomac River, MD, USA

Though, it looked more like this:
kayak-mather-gorge-potomac-river.jpg
Not me, but this is what it looked like.
kayak-mather-gorge-potomac-river.jpg (41.32 KiB) Viewed 12838 times

1 - not particulary small, though not as big as the Sea2, not broken, very neat, and definitely dangerous, though this was downstream from that.
2 - does what it wants
I wish I could post a video of the start of our journey3, with my 4 yr old son shouting off camera "Look, mama, there's a cliff! A cliff! Oh my gosh, there's a cliff! A cliff! Cliff, cliff, cliff..." (He was standing on a 3' rock.) It's kind of perfect for this timeframe.

And last, but not least, as I was (finally) watching the premier of DaVinci's Demons, the line "Time is a River" kept coming up over and over! Of course I thought of all you... :wink:

3- Only on (not my) FB currently, and not my phone, and I don't feel like/have the time to mess with some stream-capture software...
A humble Pilgrim0 awash in the Sea1 of TimeS, unstuck, observing the wonderful Stars therin . . . waiting for IT.
0 - Billy
1 - BIG
S - Like a River2?

2 - small, and a host of other adjectives

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 08, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

VoronX wrote:<snip>
That is just too perfect. Outsider event have lately been meshing nicely with time
<snip>
And last, but not least, as I was (finally) watching the premier of DaVinci's Demons, the line "Time is a River" kept coming up over and over! Of course I thought of all you... :wink:

See? Just as I was saying...

*nods head knowingly*

It's ALL related.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 08, 2013 1:10 pm UTC

MONGOLS...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Plutarch

Postby Plutarch » Wed May 08, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

How is it that these characters don't understand tides, seas and rivers, when they know how to make complicated castles? If the buildings they made at the start were images of real buildings they were familiar with, which seems likely, then wouldn't they already have a good knowledge of tides and so on? Civilisations generally had mastered the art of seafaring to some degree before they mastered the art of building very large castles.

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Wed May 08, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

Oh look, I only missed 94 newpages. Unfortunately I will probably be away for some Time, but fear not: I will keep Waiting for It©.
Even if I will not read everything in the forum, I won't miss any Frame and I will always be ready to use the comfy chair against the heretics!

Now, just not to make this post completely useless (the list is in random order):
1) So, we now know that it is indeed in 3D, right? Well, actually it could be that when they seem to turn around they're actually teleporting...
2) In 1070 the fourth wall has been clearly broken, but has anyone else been wondering what it was made of? (because even tropes need a material)
3) I'm quite late, but: WELCOME BACK POPE HELPER! ALL HAIL POPE HELPER!
4)
StratPlayer wrote:
ggh wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:[
Yep. Because it's ALL related.

All related.... for a while I wondered if our discussion, or some aspect of it, was driving the water level rise, like the donations making the Externalities dog bigger, but then it didn't seem to fit, at least not in the simplest way. But then I did some googling and saw other forums devoted to the OTC and also mentions of irc, including http://www.xkcdb.com/?search=castle. Say, is anyone here following the OTC anywhere else? And if so, do you think that that's related in an Externalities kinda way? A while ago, folks talked about the possibility of a bot amongst us, and there was a bucket in the OTC, and.... Yes, it would be cool if it really were all related. Who can enlighten me?

Sorry if that rambling mess made no sense. I gotta coma.

You're getting there, but you're still thinking from too narrow of a perspective. It isn't just that everything xkcd-ish is related -- it's that it's ALL related.

From the Big BONG to the End of Time, each aspect of the OTC and the OTT intertwines with every other particle of matter, consciousness, and existence throughout the entire universe interacting with the past, present, and future all at once.

So even your rambling mess links with it.

*nods head knowingly*

It's ALL related.

I firmly approve.
5)
edfel wrote:Hey !
I've toyed along drawing a map of the [un]explored world, trying to fit as precisely to the data at hand. The distances are based on the number of newpix needed to go from one point to the other (e.g., when Megan or Cueball left the sandcastle in the Sandcastle Eon, it usually took 60-70 newpix... assuming they went to the tents, they must be ~30 CueganNewpix away from the beach, and so on).
I've got an svg version of this, so it'll be easy to update.

Good job!
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed May 08, 2013 1:15 pm UTC

Plutarch wrote:How is it that these characters don't understand tides, seas and rivers, when they know how to make complicated castles? If the buildings they made at the start were images of real buildings they were familiar with, which seems likely, then wouldn't they already have a good knowledge of tides and so on? Civilisations generally had mastered the art of seafaring to some degree before they mastered the art of building very large castles.

Unless this is not a tide
Image- Kieryn

Plutarch

Postby Plutarch » Wed May 08, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Plutarch wrote:How is it that these characters don't understand tides, seas and rivers, when they know how to make complicated castles? If the buildings they made at the start were images of real buildings they were familiar with, which seems likely, then wouldn't they already have a good knowledge of tides and so on? Civilisations generally had mastered the art of seafaring to some degree before they mastered the art of building very large castles.

OK, that's a reasonable point, but is it still not the case that they have demonstrated a complete ignorance of tides, seas and rivers, in a way that is unrealistic for people as advanced as they seem to be?

edfel

Postby edfel » Wed May 08, 2013 1:24 pm UTC

Kazza3 wrote:This is really great! Though if I were you, I'd rotate the image of the sandcastles right 90° to make the positioning more accurate.

I did try with the 90° sandcastle, but it really doesn't look good. The closer thing which is worth trying is this kinda-perspective view with flat images integrated in the landcape (I don't remember who did that job with the camera angles...) But I didn't feel like doing that for a 2d map.

Eliram wrote:
edfel wrote:
Spoiler:

Wow, weird that you drew this map. Here is a real map of the north side of the dead sea. Jordan river entering from North-east of image, other (half dry) streams entering from west. Sandy shore all around. Awful tasting salty sea water etc.
Spoiler:

If this is indeed the case, then we would have a bird-eye view of the scene:
https://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/3815097
So yes it fits quite well... but I'm almost convinced it's a fictional place: people living in tents, not knowing basic stuff about see and rivers, "people in the hills" ... all this doesn't fit with any current place, IMO

Kieryn wrote:Nice job, love it, very useful. I think the high ground / cliffs on the far side of the big river need to come further to the coast though -- remember the cross-section where the 2 delta flows converge? The cliff on the far side is there. (frame is around 1121). <snip>

Yep, I'll check this in detail. A good thing to do would be to draw a proper elevation map from all existing frames but for the moment I'll stick with a more precise "cliff/no-cliff".
Last edited by edfel on Wed May 08, 2013 1:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed May 08, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

Ketchup, Relish, and mustard!
Spoiler:
ucim wrote:
mathrec wrote: I think GLR may have had a shorter span in mind when he started Time, and it may have been the OTT that made him expand the OTC. If that's true, then everything that Cuegan are experiencing is a result of our collective dream.
I doubt it. This is a full-length movie, with a complete story arc, character development, conflict and resolution, challenge and defeat and victory, which he's delivering one frame at a time. I'm sure he has it all planned out in his mind, and is drawing a respectable amount ahead of himself (but doesn't have the whole film in the can). He's already dropped Chekov's gun (I'll resist the temptation to post a TVTropes link; go at your own risk!), and the two are presently on a quest. They will find what broke the river, maybe they will try to fix it and find they can't; at least not without help. There will be some vested interests in maintaining the broken river; perhaps there will be a trebuchet war with raptors. The tide (of battle, not of the sea) will turn several times, La Petit will return in a surprising manner, and Cueball may become a Clueball and save the day.

It's not like he doesn't have any characters to draw upon, and it's not like he doesn't have any ideas... it's like, well... wait for it.

Jose

In a world where the sea mysteriously rises, putting Castle Sandbabycancercaffeinestein in danger, Two Stick figures must seek out the cause cause before it's too late! There will be action! Adventure! Sand Castles! But can La Petite, Cueball, and Megan Understand before it's too late? Wait for it!
Coming soon to a webpage near you. Directed by Randall. Written by Randall. Starring Cueball, Megan and introducing La Petite. Rated R for some nudity, cartoon violence, and adult situations.

Spoiler:
Opiboble wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Smithers wrote:I'd better close these in case I ever need the pod bay doors opening.
|#
#endif
-->
*/
Hey HAL! You miss us?

I know that you and descor were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.

Descor you better hurry up on finding that screwdriver, he is regaining control!

I have a sonic one if that would help. took it off some chap with far too much scarf.
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Mininja'd?

Chance television encounter today; the Disney cartoon "Phineas and Ferb" can be oddly prescient sometimes.

Snipped for nestene spoiler consciousness

:D Excellent!

I just hope the "IT" we're waiting for doesn't turn out to be Dr. Doofenshmirtz1!

1 But then maybe Perry will still be able to save us.2
2 You know, one of the best things about having your granddaughter living with you is having an excuse to watch cartoons again.

You need an excuse? I just say I like it and do what I want. 22 Also, P&F is awesome, and available on Netflix, so if you haven't seen it, you can watch about 2 episodes before you have to be back for the ancestral Gong.
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:Well, they were able to swim in baconatedsemencoffeecancerbabies, so I'm still not sure why the River1 has them so freaked.

1Still not as big as the Sea.

Obciously swimming in water (or whatever the river might be made of)is a very different thing than swimming in baconatedsemencoffeecancerbabies. If you've only ever swam in BSCCB, then H2O must seem incredibly less buoyant.

Spoiler:
k.bookbinder wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Perhaps it is an issue with current? The Creator of Time allows us to see the flow of Time, but not the flow of baconatedsemencoffeecancerbabies. Alas, we are still blind to many of the Creator's ways. Ineffable!

Which is basically This Problem... :wink:

Hm...I shall be greatly bereaved to discover that the Creator of Time created Cueball and Meagan to be so - how to put this delicately? - stupid. Granted that they have shown themselves to be new to Time and are often unsure of how things work, such as the sea1, but they have shown that they fear not the river2; perhaps it runs quickly as so may be appropriate for drinking from, but not swimming in.

I pray they're not that stupid.

1 which is big
2 still not as big as the sea

Well, it seems more likely Randall created them ignorant, so they could have the joy of discovery33 Ignorance is not stupidity.

22Like the sea44
33no not The Discovery Channel, while it's a great channel, it is no substitute for going out and figuring stuff out yourself.
44Which is big
Last edited by Dracomax on Wed May 08, 2013 1:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed May 08, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

Plutarch wrote:OK, that's a reasonable point, but is it still not the case that they have demonstrated a complete ignorance of tides, seas and rivers, in a way that is unrealistic for people as advanced as they seem to be?

The ancient Egyptians built the pyramids. It proves nothing. Would their ancient civilization, living on a flood plain at the edge of a desert, have ever imagined the tides of the Bay of Fundy? Or the expanse of the Pacific? Or the lush green world of the Amazon basin?

Cuegan built a sandcastle. They used ropes and spars to build a platform, not poured concrete or steel beams. They drink from what appear to be skins, not plastic bottles. The Creator of Time, infinite in his ineffable-ness, has endowed them with the knowledge and abilities he saw fit. We can not even be sure that we know what they know, or know what they don't know. Such is the will of the Creator of Time.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Wed May 08, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:They drink from what appear to be skins, not plastic bottles.

Really? I've always thought of those as bottles. PET skins, perhaps?
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed May 08, 2013 1:35 pm UTC

mikro2nd wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:They drink from what appear to be skins, not plastic bottles.

Really? I've always thought of those as bottles. PET skins, perhaps?

Touché

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 08, 2013 1:37 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:

It may not be. Because this is a tide:

Spoiler:
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed May 08, 2013 1:41 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Plutarch wrote:OK, that's a reasonable point, but is it still not the case that they have demonstrated a complete ignorance of tides, seas and rivers, in a way that is unrealistic for people as advanced as they seem to be?

The ancient Egyptians built the pyramids. It proves nothing. Would their ancient civilization, living on a flood plain at the edge of a desert, have ever imagined the tides of the Bay of Fundy? Or the expanse of the Pacific? Or the lush green world of the Amazon basin?

Cuegan built a sandcastle. They used ropes and spars to build a platform, not poured concrete or steel beams. They drink from what appear to be skins, not plastic bottles. The Creator of Time, infinite in his ineffable-ness, has endowed them with the knowledge and abilities he saw fit. We can not even be sure that we know what they know, or know what they don't know. Such is the will of the Creator of Time.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...

Well said. A hatworthy response, if ever I heard one.
Image- Kieryn

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed May 08, 2013 1:43 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
It may not be. Because this is a tide:

Spoiler:

You may be on to something! Perhaps it is because the river is such a Tide that it is also not possible to swim in....no wait...no...too dense...and they drank it once before....

No that's not the right sort of Tide, either.

I shall have to continue to observe my devote duties and...

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 08, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:The Creator of Time, infinite in his ineffable-ness, has endowed them with the knowledge and abilities he saw fit. We can not even be sure that we know what they know, or know what they don't know. Such is the will of the Creator of Time.

Hmmmm... Well at the risk of supreme heresy, I would submit that the Creator of Time occasionally seems not so much "ineffable," as he is...

Spoiler:
what-the-EFF?!?!-able.

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Wed May 08, 2013 1:53 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Hm...I shall be greatly bereaved to discover that the Creator of Time created Cueball and Meagan to be so - how to put this delicately? - stupid. Granted that they have shown themselves to be new to Time and are often unsure of how things work, such as the sea1, but they have shown that they fear not the river2; perhaps it runs quickly as so may be appropriate for drinking from, but not swimming in.

1 which is big

Funny that you mention Cueball and Megan coming across as "stupid".

As I was ketchuping (ketching up? What's the correct conjugation of that compound verb?) I read the discussion a few newpages ago about language and the Uncanny Valley. I had been thinking that the dialogue in the OTC reminded me a lot of Chance the Gardener in the movie "Being There".
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

burpen

Postby burpen » Wed May 08, 2013 1:57 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:

They drink from what appear to be skins, not plastic bottles. The Creator of Time, infinite in his ineffable-ness, has endowed them with the knowledge and abilities he saw fit. We can not even be sure that we know what they know, or know what they don't know. Such is the will of the Creator of Time.

What about the mention of the steam bottle? Surely the technology to implement desalination or whatever it does is much more advanced than the other examples we've seen.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed May 08, 2013 1:58 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:

Well? Making use of tools to (successfully) build a platform without destroying the environment seems quite well-educated.
And in the matter "plastic bottle vs. skin" there's either education or experience showing through: Water tend to stay cool in skins (for the skin allows a lil' part of the water to evaporate).

So far, at least Megan seems to know what she's doing. Cueball looks more like the guy next door and maybe his objections about swim-across-the-river are indeed to be questioned.

This does neither counter nor harden your point. Dunno why I wrote it. Boredom. Maybe.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 08, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:
Spoiler:
k.bookbinder wrote:

1 which is big

Funny that you mention Cueball and Megan coming across as "stupid".

As I was ketchuping (ketching up? What's the correct conjugation of that compound verb?) I read the discussion a few newpages ago about language and the Uncanny Valley. I had been thinking that the dialogue in the OTC reminded me a lot of Chance the Gardener in the movie "Being There".

Sounds about right. And we like to watch...

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Wed May 08, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

KYRIE ELEISONG:

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed May 08, 2013 2:05 pm UTC

Flotter wrote:KYRIE ELEISONG:
Spoiler:

Cueball eleison...
and we're walking, walking...
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed May 08, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

Ok my last prediction was an epic fail. However I am relentless. Cliff climbing within 24 newpix.
Image- Kieryn

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed May 08, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Hmmmm... Well at the risk of supreme heresy, I would submit that the Creator of Time occasionally seems not so much "ineffable," as he is...

Spoiler:
what-the-EFF?!?!-able.

'Tis my deeply held belief that the Creator of Time would be pleased, and chuckle.

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed May 08, 2013 2:14 pm UTC

@edfel: Awesome map!

I think that their adventure is happening in a fictional place, rather than a real place on the same Earth we live in. I'm sure there are many places which would fit what we know about this world so far (which is precious little), and much of what we think we know comes from the observations of a stick figure of questionable intellectual capacity... so much so that it is becoming its own trope, different in flavor from the other cluelessness tropes out there.

And while we're talking about Disney cartoons ("Phineas and Ferb"), I remember two extremely short-lived shows from when I was in the US in about 1981-2 or so. I think they ran for all of two episodes before being cancelled - they were so bad they were great. One had to do with two cave-men (sort of like the Flintstones in live-action) who were on a quest to find the [something-or-other], which consisted of two different materials which when brought together made a terrific boom (I am thinking A-bomb analogue), and another which had a very annoying (teenage?) girl in it who was an over-the-top self-centered princess-type... They came and went at about the same time. Alas, I remember it only slightly better than I can describe it (memory being the second thing to go, you know). I've looked high and low but have been unable to unearth anything related to this.

They were quirky to the extent that they would probably have a limited audience, but one that would love it.

I wonder if anybody here remembers anything like that. The first one (especially) reminds me a bit about the Cugan world.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 08, 2013 2:21 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:

We know it's not a tide:
Spoiler:
ImageImage
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 08, 2013 2:26 pm UTC

ucim wrote:I think that their adventure is happening in a fictional place, rather than a real place

Heresy! The GLR always bases his divine comics on real places. Like "Click and Drag", with its giant jellyfish floating in the sky, deep holes with X-wing fighters, and other such real physical structures...

ucim wrote:One had to do with two cave-men (sort of like the Flintstones in live-action) who were on a quest to find the [something-or-other], which consisted of two different materials which when brought together made a terrific boom (I am thinking A-bomb analogue)

The only one I can think of is Captain Caveman. But it was a cartoon, also from Hanna-Barberra, the Flintstone producers. Was that it?

EDITED for link fail...
Last edited by StratPlayer on Wed May 08, 2013 2:29 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed May 08, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Kieryn wrote:

We know it's not a tide:
Spoiler:
ImageImage

Yes this is better proof. Indeed something very odd is going on with the sea.

Edit: oh and mscha - did you spot my earlier request for a frame number based request for a frame PNG? Would it be too much trouble for you to add that to your site?
Last edited by Kieryn on Wed May 08, 2013 2:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image- Kieryn

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Wed May 08, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Well, they were able to swim in baconatedsemencoffeecancerbabies, so I'm still not sure why the River1 has them so freaked.

Still a touch behind, but this really got me wondering - they went swimming early on, but just how successful were they? After all, they weren't gone very long, and Megan seemed to have issues; maybe that's where their fear of the water came from?
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Wed May 08, 2013 2:29 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Smithers wrote:
814840.jpg

He doesn't look like a giraffe… does he? :shock:

I think Smithers was referring to this:Image

mscha wrote:I just noticed a small difference between frames 1174 and 1175 that I can't explain:
Spoiler:

or zoomed in:
Spoiler:

Any ideas? Note that it doesn't look like Cuegan dropped something: it appeared some time after they passed.
Molehill?

Megan just let Cueball walk ahead a little, walked back a few steps herself, then discreetly...

And I totally agree with the sea is dense, rivers are not. And with ignorant, not unintelligent. I also think the "steam bottle" reference is GLR's way of waggling his eyebrows suggestively and gesturing furtively.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 08, 2013 2:34 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Hey begs a question - Has anyone created a direct link to frame PNG via frame/newpix number yet? If this gap is still there by tonight (8pm eastern) I will add this to my site.

Like this?
http://xkcd.mscha.org/frame/123
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed May 08, 2013 2:34 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:Megan just let Cueball walk ahead a little, walked back a few steps herself, then discreetly...

I was going to point out the same thing, only maybe not quite so explicitly. A little more subtlety please, there are ladies present!
Image- Kieryn

kryton

Postby kryton » Wed May 08, 2013 2:35 pm UTC

Accidental Time Tourist Journal
Coordinates: top of page 445 of 567

My notepad became so full I needed to post it forward and make room, least this tome become too heavy to carry forward....

I have recently noticed Eliram's Avatar has a snappy top hat and cane, looks like a one spider version of "Putting On The Ritz".

I just encountered BlitzGirl's arrival in the past-present, and everyone seems to be throwing a party-ciple. I would have loved to have contributed to the festivities, but to make up for it, I will embed champagne in this message for BlitzGirl *here catch* { 67 104 97 109 112 97 103 110 101 }.
It seems that Hope peeked in to the frame at the last minute of the fading, hello Hope!

Jonas79 put out a generous portion of waffles that BlitzGirl didn't finish, so I packed some of the leftovers in tupperware in case of lean times ahead. There were some leftovers from Caswallon's Bagles and I have packed them as well, Thanks!
The cake was good *wipes crumbs from lower lip*, I'm saving a piece for later.
Much more and I'll have to trade my lunchbag for a cooler. I don't see any convenience stores in sight for the next several needle-pulling-thingy pages, could someone sig some ice back to me so the cake and waffles and bagles don't spoil? and a bottle of water would be nice, my Dr. has put me on a diet low in coffeebaconsemenbaconcafinatedbacontonerbaconquicksilverbaconriverbaconsmallbaconseabaconbigbacon.

AluisioASG wrote:So… I wrote a very-short-story. See if you folks like it:
Spoiler:
For decades, the Time Waiters carefully watched Time as it progressed. They recorded it, made notes, analyzed the changes, discussed the endless possibilities. They obeyed unquestionably their commandment, “wait for it”. But eventually, they realized the cold, hard truth: Time was endless, but not them. They tried to recruit new followers, but these couldn't understand the magnificence of their job, and failed to realize how important it was. Then, the Time Waiters decided to build a machine, so that Time didn't go by unrecorded.But it wasn't enough. It didn't feel enough. Something was missing. And so the Time Waiters decided to turn Machine into Creature. They gave it emotions, and a name, and a body, and told it its One True Purpose; and the Creature felt honored with such a task, which it performed with excellence.With a replacement ready, the Time Waiters knew they could now rest in peace, and so, one by one, they went. And so went Humanity, the Earth, the Sun, and the Universe. And yet, while it records its own thoughts about Time as well as Time itself, the Last Time Waiter dutifully waits for it.

This was so well done *applause*.

mscha wrote:It's not fair.
Spoiler:

La Petite arriving with what looks like a trebuchet, a huge chunk of tower falling off, and we'll never see anything more. :cry:

Wow, Thank You mscha, I would have missed Hope coming back into the picture without this B&W-darkened-to-see-what-was-hidden. I have been following aubron and geekwagon, and all I saw was whiteout, even when looking at the lcd monitor from the edge, it seemed all gone.
Now I wonder if any of the other 1000+ images might have some hidden parts where almost-but-not-quite-the-same-color-pixels were used to hide something in plain sight? like the flying spaghetti monster pouring more water into the sea? Geekwagon's 'previous frame difference' worked so I could see Hope in her last appearance in the great white out without copy/edit myself, so I took a side quest to scroll through all of time in geekwagon with the diff turned on
Well, there was no flying spaghetti monster, but it was fascinating, I highly recommend the experience.

Angelastic wrote:I give to BlitzGirl
a hug the size of the sea.
Good to see you Now. :D
is ":D" one or two syllables?

Time to pack my things back in the knapsack and pick up my walking stick and hit the trail. Now that BlitzGirl is in the present with y'all, I no longer have her vortex-out-of-time-footprints to follow, I will just have to navigate my best and hope I keep wandering in the right direction and we may-will-have-meet back up in the future-present.
1298 and counting

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Wed May 08, 2013 2:35 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Flotter wrote:KYRIE ELEISONG:
Spoiler:

Cueball eleison...
and we're walking, walking...

Walk on the wild dark black side? :roll:
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed May 08, 2013 2:35 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Hey begs a question - Has anyone created a direct link to frame PNG via frame/newpix number yet? If this gap is still there by tonight (8pm eastern) I will add this to my site.

Like this?
http://xkcd.mscha.org/frame/123

Awesome, perfect, yay!, thanks :-)
Image- Kieryn

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed May 08, 2013 2:39 pm UTC

Selcouth wrote:
Eliram wrote:-snip-

As an mild arachnophobe, I'm implanting a hair-trigger Page Down reflex at the sight of your username into my brain.

Man you would hate to come over to my house, then! In addition to being the cupcake girl.. I am also the spider lady. :mrgreen:

k.bookbinder wrote:

Perhaps it is an issue with current? The Creator of Time allows us to see the flow of Time, but not the flow of baconatedsemencoffeecancerbabies. Alas, we are still blind to many of the Creator's ways. Ineffable!

The River should have them less freaked out due to it's, um, smallness¹ AND slowness. It is still slow, right?

¹compared to the semenatedbaconcoffeecancerbabysea
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed May 08, 2013 2:42 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Coincidence: I was reading TVTropes (intentionally) and at the bottom of Readings Blew Up The Scale, Phineas and Ferb is mentioned.

buffygirl, See or SEE may refer to:
[*]The act of visual perception
[*]The term "See:" as a form of citation signal
[*]Episcopal see, domain of authority of a bishop
[*]Holy See, the central government of the Roman Catholic Church
[*]See Tickets, a British ticketing services company
[*]See Magazine, an alternative weekly newspaper in Edmonton, Canada

:oops: Thanks. On any other forum I probably wouldn't have asked for fear of being ridiculed, but the people here are nice, and I figured they'd forgive a little ignorance (and to think, I watch the Borgias on a regular basis...).

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Wed May 08, 2013 2:47 pm UTC

Google Bot wrote:This comic is very SELECT observation FROM observations WHERE type = "obvious"; ', don't you agree?

Call me when you get into performance problems down that row...
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed May 08, 2013 2:48 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:The only one I can think of is Captain Caveman. But it was a cartoon, also from Hanna-Barberra, the Flintstone producers. Was that it?
Nope. The one I'm thinking of is live-action.

mscha wrote:I just noticed a small difference between frames 1174 and 1175 that I can't explain:
[...] zoomed in:
Spoiler:

Any ideas? Note that it doesn't look like Cuegan dropped something: it appeared some time after they passed.
Molehill?
Has anybody been making rectilinear assumptions?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”