1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

StratPlayer

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 08, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

hwhitney wrote:
mscha wrote:1190NG...
Spoiler:

Nothing special.

I have not been following the OTT as closely as some Timewaiters. Is the Book of Aubron not accurate? This shows as frame #1193 there...

Nope. See the sig of mscha (who you just quoted) for more details...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed May 08, 2013 6:12 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
azule wrote:What's our next number to find significance in? 2001? Oh, YUP! Just like the "Odyssey", M&C are primitive, and always will be compared to what is out there in the world universe. What I'm saying is: At 2001np we're going to space, bitches()!

() You're not bitches. Just a phrase.

slinches, fucking awesome cliffhanger mod! 8-)

treadman wrote:
edfel wrote:Updated version of the map, now on the wiki (see "Mapping")
Direct link to svg :
http://images.wikia.com/xkcd-time/image ... me-Map.svg

I don't remember who made the panorama of the first journey (where we see the shore line), or the image where with the forking as a series of horizontal strips... it would be great to have these appear in the wiki :-)

I'm loving all the graphs and maps. Great work everyone! Now someone should get to work on the MMORPG, so we can play around in the OTC. :)

Firstly, great map work, edfel. Love the SVGness. :)

Secondly, MMORPG, yes, fun! While you (whoever) are at it, get on that PKMNMMORPG. ;)

I so wish I had the time to do this myself... However I am willing to help... I have skillz in Unity3d, Blender, various other CGI tools.

I have been contemplating writing a game of some sorts around based around the OTC, but again it all comes to my available time. I am taking a honk of vacation in July, so if I was to do anything, that would be when.

So what would be the goal of the game? To travel across the sands and look at rivers? To wield your dilgunerang to try and knock down sand castles? To go on a great quest for no real reason and mumble random nonsensical things about water?

Or to see how many nerds you can snipe with open-ended commands like "Wait For It"?

Well, if the game was release before the end of the OTC then it should of course be open-ended. If the OTC does in fact end then I guess the nature of it would dictate the game's ending.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

kryton

Postby kryton » Wed May 08, 2013 6:16 pm UTC

Accidental Time Tourist Journal
Coordinates: top of page 449 of 569

As the great white out approaches, a lot of folks believing the end is/was upon us are saying goodbys like the signatures in a high school year book (touching). I would be worried but the sigs reflecting the future reassure me that time marches on. In 2 more needle-pulling-thingy-past-is-present-minutes the thread finds out if the great white out is the end or not. *bites fingernail* i hope it doesn't end here

a few posts to comment on

BlitzGirl wrote:
Angelastic wrote:One bit away from white... maybe we can still save Time if BlitzGirl gives LaPetite a new name!

Sharkbait! Ooh-ha-ha!

Ah, so that's where that sig came from.

manvandmaan wrote:Welcome everybody! There are some Croissants in the back! and some cups of strawberryjam, for those who are/are not a Sandmason! Congratz BlitzGirl BlitzRandir! Enjoy your Croissant! For all others traveling the OTT, Good Luck and Godspeed! There is hope yet!

yummy, thanks for leaving them out for me. Added some croissants with jam to my cooler, next to the bagles, waffles, and cake.

PacMan wrote:Hey, I did it! I joined this needle-pulled party just in Time! Here, folks: have some cake (apple-pie and chocolate-banana-cake with smarties).

Cake, apple pie, chocolate-banna-cake with smarties, my cooler is getting full, I may need to swap it out for a larger one.

Alas, Outside calls again, as much as I prefer to wait for it, it will now have to wait for me.
1298 and counting

hwhitney

Postby hwhitney » Wed May 08, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Nope. See the sig of mscha (who you just quoted) for more details...

Thanks for that clarification
Time traveling Film Hamster http://www.filmhamster.com

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed May 08, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:FAKEONG...

Rule110, I love you for that! You almost had me with the Timing. I was about to check the address, but the "fakeong" gave it away. At least go ONG on us writing it out as FONGAKONGEONONGGONG or FONGAKONGEONG (using the ONG-speak linked to earlier).

Kieryn wrote:
azule wrote:Secondly, MMORPG, yes, fun!

I so wish I had the time to do this myself... However I am willing to help... I have skillz in Unity3d, Blender, various other CGI tools.1

I have been contemplating writing a game of some sorts around based around the OTC, but again it all comes to my available time. I am taking a honk of vacation in July, so if I was to do anything, that would be when.

1EDIT: These are of course in addition to my unmentioned general hacking/programming/software architecture skillz

If you have the skills to game-ify Time, I'd be willing to draw up what I could in Blender. I just don't have the game-ify skills, sadly. Though, if cmyk ever returns, he'd probably be a natural one or both of these things. Distribution of the workflow would be best, of course.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

thirds

Postby thirds » Wed May 08, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

spamjam wrote:DOREMIFASOLATIDONG
Spoiler:

Great ong.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 08, 2013 6:21 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
azule wrote:What's our next number to find significance in? 2001? Oh, YUP! Just like the "Odyssey", M&C are primitive, and always will be compared to what is out there in the world universe. What I'm saying is: At 2001np we're going to space, bitches()!

treadman wrote:
Direct link to svg :

I don't remember who made the panorama of the first journey (where we see the shore line), or the image where with the forking as a series of horizontal strips... it would be great to have these appear in the wiki :-)

I'm loving all the graphs and maps. Great work everyone! Now someone should get to work on the MMORPG, so we can play around in the OTC. :)

Secondly, MMORPG, yes, fun! While you (whoever) are at it, get on that PKMNMMORPG. ;)

I so wish I had the time to do this myself... However I am willing to help... I have skillz in Unity3d, Blender, various other CGI tools.

So what would be the goal of the game? To travel across the sands and look at rivers? To wield your dilgunerang to try and knock down sand castles? To go on a great quest for no real reason and mumble random nonsensical things about water?

Or to see how many nerds you can snipe with open-ended commands like "Wait For It"?

Well, if the game was release before the end of the OTC then it should of course be open-ended. If the OTC does in fact end then I guess the nature of it would dictate the game's ending.

Of course, I didn't mean to sound critical -- You've done tremendous work with what you've put together for us, and I really appreciate it. it's help made the Wait very enjoyable. And I'm positive I'll sign up to play if a game ever comes out of the OTT.

But there's still a part of me that questions my sanity when I go, "Oooh! An OTC game! That sounds awesome!" That last little rational shred then forces me to ask myself questions like I posted previously to try and knock some sense into myself... :wink:
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Wed May 08, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:The bunnyears links seems to be broken.

Sorry, here is a slightly better link. You can get to that quite easily from the mislinked page, though.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed May 08, 2013 6:31 pm UTC

Why does all of the interesting stuff have to happen during times that I'm away?

The apocalypse will come when Time ends, because I will go beserk and cause an apocalypse.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed May 08, 2013 6:38 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Kieryn wrote:

treadman wrote:
Direct link to svg :

Of course, I didn't mean to sound critical -- You've done tremendous work with what you've put together for us, and I really appreciate it. it's help made the Wait very enjoyable. And I'm positive I'll sign up to play if a game ever comes out of the OTT.

But there's still a part of me that questions my sanity when I go, "Oooh! An OTC game! That sounds awesome!" That last little rational shred then forces me to ask myself questions like I posted previously to try and knock some sense into myself... :wink:

Totally fine... criticism is always a vital part of the creative process... I constantly have doubts about everything I create, and of course nothing created is ever as good as it could be. I think it is clear that low expectations should be set of any game based around the OTC. It of course would pale in comparison to the wealth of creativity and entertainment provided by it and the OTT. The most that should be aimed for is something simple1, fun2, humorous3, respectful4 and of course non-heretical5.

1 The xkcd time catapult is a great example and precursor to any potential more fully-fledged 'game'.
2 Goal oriented and echos the sentiments of our community
3 Like lemming attack
4 Free. Absolutely. No ifs buts or maybes.
5 No mustard.
Last edited by Kieryn on Wed May 08, 2013 6:44 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Image- Kieryn

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed May 08, 2013 6:39 pm UTC

EDIT: Kieryn, if you would be so kind, spoilerfy or edit that quote-wall, please. We're much more civilized at this Time. We have moved on from such childish things. *shrug*

lmjb1964 wrote:And yep, I put the comma in the quotation marks, because that's how we roll here in the U.S. of A.
I don't, and I'm a USAian. :P

StratPlayer wrote:So what would be the goal of the game? To travel across the sands and look at rivers? To wield your dilgunerang to try and knock down sand castles? To go on a great quest for no real reason and mumble random nonsensical things about water?

Nerd-Sniping: The Game.

I would think it would be, basically, a glorified chat room. This would make sense.*

StratPlayer wrote:But there's still a part of me that questions my sanity when I go, "Oooh! An OTC game! That sounds awesome!" That last little rational shred then forces me to ask myself questions like I posted previously to try and knock some sense into myself... :wink:

Either you triggered it or I am still having creative thoughts, but:
First I thought, obviously a 3D world, but with stick figures.
THEN I thought, no, 3D-cross-sectioned world, with stick figures. Navigation is basically normal, but only the cross-section is visible to us, as in the OTC. Probably with controls like in Resident Evil, where turn is separate from forward or sidereal movement.

* God, has anyone seen Cosmopolis? Their dialogue ticks have eaten their way into my brain.

descor

Postby descor » Wed May 08, 2013 6:43 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:Why does all of the interesting stuff have to happen during times that I'm away?

The apocalypse will come when Time ends, because I will go beserk and cause an apocalypse.

There is an elegant solution to your problem: never ever leave.

Simples.
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 08, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:<snip>
No mustard.

Agreed! In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed May 08, 2013 6:46 pm UTC

azule wrote:EDIT: Kieryn, if you would be so kind, spoilerfy or edit that quote-wall, please. We're much more civilized at this Time. We have moved on from such childish things. *shrug*

Done. Yeah, sorry about that. Won't happen again!
Image- Kieryn

descor

Postby descor » Wed May 08, 2013 6:50 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
No mustard.

Agreed! In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

Quite possibly the funniest thing I've read so far on this thread. Sigged.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed May 08, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

Thanks, Kieryn.

Kieryn wrote:5 No mustard.

Although, one "sidequest" could be to eradicate the Mustard that is creeping in trying to take over. Kinda like trying to stop the Fading (which we would not try to stop) and saving the world.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 08, 2013 6:52 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
azule wrote:EDIT: Kieryn, if you would be so kind, spoilerfy or edit that quote-wall, please. We're much more civilized at this Time. We have moved on from such childish things. *shrug*

Yes. We've evolved from quote-walls to blitz-walls. Please do try to keep up with our maturation process...
Last edited by StratPlayer on Wed May 08, 2013 6:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Montov

Postby Montov » Wed May 08, 2013 6:52 pm UTC

descor wrote:
TheMinim wrote:Why does all of the interesting stuff have to happen during times that I'm away?

Simples.

But that would mean no interesting stuff will ever happen again. If TheMinim is always away, this comic would always have interesting stuff. I'm sorry, but we need to sacrifice one of our own to TLR for the sake of the group. There is no other way.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed May 08, 2013 6:53 pm UTC

BTW:

All goals would be "sidequests",
the only true goal would be to . . .

8-)

Wait For It.

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!

Edit: to memefy.
Last edited by azule on Wed May 08, 2013 7:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

descor

Postby descor » Wed May 08, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

Montov wrote:
descor wrote:

Simples.

But that would mean no interesting stuff will ever happen again. If TheMinim is always away, this comic would always have interesting stuff. I'm sorry, but we need to sacrifice one of our own to TLR for the sake of the group. There is no other way.

How heartless!

Lets do it.

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 08, 2013 6:57 pm UTC

Montov wrote:
descor wrote:

Simples.

Makes sense to me. After all, it's just TheMinim-um amount of sacrifice we can make...

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed May 08, 2013 6:58 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Kieryn wrote:

Yes. We've evolved from quote-walls to blitz-walls. Please do try to keep up with our maturation process...

Damn you. You forgot about the very grown-up, pointless video games. :lol:

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Wed May 08, 2013 6:58 pm UTC

1728 is the next candidate for the End of Time, being the next round number. (Not saying I think it will end then; it's just a good number for the endists to predict as the end.)

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed May 08, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:1728 is the next candidate for the End of Time, being the next round number. (Not saying I think it will end then; it's just a good number for the endists to predict as the end.)

It'll happen at 2010, because that's when Cueball and Megan will make contact with us.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 08, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

ROCK ONG:

kryton wrote:Accidental Time Tourist Journal
Coordinates: top of page 445 of 567
<snip>
I just encountered BlitzGirl's arrival in the past-present, and everyone seems to be throwing a party-ciple. I would have loved to have contributed to the festivities, but to make up for it, I will embed champagne in this message for BlitzGirl *here catch* { 67 104 97 109 112 97 103 110 101 }.

Ooh, champagne! This will come in handy for the next PresentParty (which I'm sure will be quite soon, as we seem to hold a lot of them :D )

Purplepants77 wrote:Firstly, I have to say what everyone else has been saying, yet still needs to be said. Wow BlitzGirl, you really outdid yourself with that present. Totally awesome. Like, very totally awesome. Fantastic even. Super cool. Groovy! Psychedelic! Sexy!! Hauntingly spectacular.... well... point is... I liked it. Thanks! :D <snip>

You're welcome! Hope to see you in the Now sometime!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

descor

Postby descor » Wed May 08, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:1728 is the next candidate for the End of Time, being the next round number. (Not saying I think it will end then; it's just a good number for the endists to predict as the end.)

I know 1728 is 1000 in the duodecimal system, but 1729 is the Hardy–Ramanujan number! Surely that is a more likely finish?1729

1729I'm not a Numerist, I think Time will continue beyond our wildest expectations.

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed May 08, 2013 7:13 pm UTC

azule wrote:
Spoiler:
EDIT: Kieryn, if you would be so kind, spoilerfy or edit that quote-wall, please. We're much more civilized at this Time. We have moved on from such childish things. *shrug*

lmjb1964 wrote:And yep, I put the comma in the quotation marks, because that's how we roll here in the U.S. of A.

StratPlayer wrote:So what would be the goal of the game? To travel across the sands and look at rivers? To wield your dilgunerang to try and knock down sand castles? To go on a great quest for no real reason and mumble random nonsensical things about water?

I would think it would be, basically, a glorified chat room. This would make sense.*

StratPlayer wrote:But there's still a part of me that questions my sanity when I go, "Oooh! An OTC game! That sounds awesome!" That last little rational shred then forces me to ask myself questions like I posted previously to try and knock some sense into myself... :wink:

THEN I thought, no, 3D-cross-sectioned world, with stick figures. Navigation is basically normal, but only the cross-section is visible to us, as in the OTC. Probably with controls like in Resident Evil, where turn is separate from forward or sidereal movement.

* God, has anyone seen Cosmopolis? Their dialogue ticks have eaten their way into my brain.

It could include topics discussed and terms invented on the OTT, maybe something with hats, cupcakes, etc. Ooooh, maybe the trebuchet could hurl cupcakes, with different ones having different effects (like Angry Birds maybe?)! And at each new level they get a new hat! I'm not sure how to include semencoffeecancerbabbiesonice though. I suppose it depends on the intended audience...

and cats. definitely cats.

descor

Postby descor » Wed May 08, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
azule wrote:
Spoiler:

It could include topics discussed and terms invented on the OTT, maybe something with hats, cupcakes, etc. Ooooh, maybe the trebuchet could hurl cupcakes, with different ones having different effects (like Angry Birds maybe?)! And at each new level they get a new hat! I'm not sure how to include semencoffeecancerbabbiesonice though. I suppose it depends on the intended audience...

Will you be making all these hats then your Holiness?

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Wed May 08, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

azule wrote:
Rule110 wrote:FAKEONG...

Rule110, I love you for that! You almost had me with the Timing. I was about to check the address, but the "fakeong" gave it away. At least go ONG on us writing it out as FONGAKONGEONONGGONG or FONGAKONGEONG (using the ONG-speak linked to earlier).

Glad you liked it!

Giving it away was deliberate. Actually attempting to fool anyone, however briefly or clumsily, would be crossing a line, IMHO, into being disrespectful to the OTC and the Timewaiters. Sure, no one could be fooled for very long by my rather absurd extrapolations, nor the others that have been posted such as the giant wave and the jumping shark. But it would be easy to invent more plausible fakes that would get people excited about possible new developments only to let them down. Only the real OTC should be allowed to do that!

Re the setting and vegetation:
Spoiler:
The little bits of vegetation a few npx back are very interesting, because they highlight the lack of vegetation everywhere else so far. Not surprising when we were looking only at a beach, but very odd for the banks of a river. It's a bit like if Megan and Cueball were to suddenly come across a full color vein of agate in the ground. We'd have to start seriously considering the possibility that the rest of the ground and the rivers and sea really are black, as opposed to that just being an artistic choice for how it's rendered. The few little plants similarly show that most of the landscape so far has been remarkably desolate.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed May 08, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Montov wrote:But that would mean no interesting stuff will ever happen again. If TheMinim is always away, this comic would always have interesting stuff. I'm sorry, but we need to sacrifice one of our own to TLR for the sake of the group. There is no other way.

Makes sense to me. After all, it's just TheMinim-um amount of sacrifice we can make...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed May 08, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:

Followed by I CAN HAZ NEWPIXBURGER
A man^H^H^H forum-follower would certainly hope not.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Wed May 08, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

descor wrote:1729I'm not a Numerist, I think Time will continue beyond our wildest expectations.

Which are, to be honest, extremely wild. Giraffe-stackingly wild.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed May 08, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
No mustard.

Just read this and coughed up my coffee through my nose :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Image- Kieryn

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed May 08, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:The only problem is the fact that when they left the castle, they headed "north" (away from the castle and the sea).

Huh? I thought we had a consensus that they walked along the coastline. That's how they managed to sit by the sea after a long walk, and how they could tell the sea was still rising, and it's also the logical direction to go when you're looking for more rivers that feed into the sea. Do you just mean that they left the castle scene "north"ward before turning to follow the coast? I don't really see anything to contradict that in the map.

buffygirl wrote:I don't think it's about the fourth wall. I think that GLR is just letting us know that c&m have turned to their right (toward the river) to peer over the cliff, and GLR gives us a shot from the front. Then the camera gives us a "north" facing view (I have envisioned them walking north along the river) to show us the cliff, then back to an "east" facing view as they face the river again, and then an east facing view as they head north again.

I agree.

Probably heresy follows: I also don't think GLR is reading or being inspired by this thread, or deliberately teasing the loopists (though yeah, that fade-out was to mess with us a bit) or drastically changing his planned storyline according to what we do. Also, I don't think it's necessarily the actual Dead Sea, or any Outside place; just that the sea might be as dense as the Dead Sea, hence the speculation about the impossibility of swimming (which to them could just mean floating) in rivers.

I like Rule110's FAKEONG, and StratPlayer's 'cut the mustard' pun. :D

A game where you can only see a cross-section at a time would be interesting. You could spend hours in it just working out that you were standing next to an elephant.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Wed May 08, 2013 7:32 pm UTC

Ok folks ... update on the quote tree graph (up to post 22300ish).
This time it's the full graph. And with full I mean FULL... all the 835 people who have quoted or have been quoted or both and all the 8757 quotes along with all the names, color coded average posting length, size coded posting count per user, width and color coded quote count and (at least for the main quoters) directional hints (also known as arrows)1.
I can append only a compressed minified thumb here (about 1.3 MB), the links go to the original sized 4096x4096 PNG (15.6 MB) and a SVG (4.1 MB) version. But beware, these images are not for the faint of heart or low on RAM.
I call them "The Constellations of Time". Enjoy.
1 No hamsters where harmed or injured in the creation of this visualization. It consits solely of naturally grown and recycled electrons and photons.
Attachments
ott2.jpg
Mini Constellations of Time
Last edited by Sciscitor on Wed May 08, 2013 7:46 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed May 08, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Ok folks ... update on the quote tree graph (up to post 22300ish).
This time it's the full graph. And with full I mean FULL... all the 835 people who have quoted or have been quoted or both and all the 8757 quotes along with all the names, color coded average posting length, size coded posting count per user, width and color coded quote count and (at least for the main quoters) directional hints (also known as arrows)1.
I can append only a compressed minified thumb here (about 1.3 MB), the links go to the original sized 4096x4096 PNG (15.6 MB) and a SVG (4.1 MB) version. But beware, these images are not for the faint of heart or low on RAM.
I call them "The constellations of Time". Enjoy.
1 No hamsters where harmed or injured in the creation of this visualization. It consits solely of naturally grown and recycled electrons and photons.

Woah, that's a spider's web of information. Thanks!

ETA - I found me! I found me! *very ecstatic and crazed*
Last edited by TheMinim on Wed May 08, 2013 7:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed May 08, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:It could include topics discussed and terms invented on the OTT, maybe something with hats, cupcakes, etc.

1. Ooooh, maybe the trebuchet could hurl cupcakes,
  2. with different ones having different effects (like Angry Birds maybe?)!
  3. And at each new level they get a new hat!
  4. I'm not sure how to include semencoffeecancerbabbiesonice though. I suppose it depends on the intended audience...
  5. and cats. definitely cats.

Edited above for formatting.

1. That would be cool. Would the cupcakes be allowed to be in color?
  2. That would add depth to the trebuchet game (linked earlier).
  3. Yeah, sounds like you want to be busy forever. ;)
    • That would turn this into another of those hat collecting games. hah.
  4. Slipperiness, health level effect, all kinds of possibilities.
  5. Including exploding, or not?

Rule110 wrote:Giving it away was deliberate. Actually attempting to fool anyone, however briefly or clumsily, would be crossing a line, IMHO, into being disrespectful to the OTC and the Timewaiters.

That's appreciated, but as you say, only the more logical spoofs could really fool us. For those, I think a very obvious "THIS IS FAKE" is appropriate. But, thank you for the consideration.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 08, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

How about "1984"?

-- The year the GLR was born
-- The year that Orwell's Big Brother was running everything
-- the year that Apple introduced the Mac
-- the year that crack cocaine first made an appearance

Mix together GLR, computer geekery milestones, Big Brother, and crack cocaine and you'll probably end up with something like what's happening here in the OTT.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 08, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Ok folks ... update on the quote tree graph (up to post 22300ish).
This time it's the full graph. And with full I mean FULL... all the 835 people who have quoted or have been quoted or both and all the 8757 quotes along with all the names, color coded average posting length, size coded posting count per user, width and color coded quote count and (at least for the main quoters) directional hints (also known as arrows

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

My God, it's ALIVE!!!!

EDITED TO ADD: And it's also very, very cool. Nice work!
Last edited by StratPlayer on Wed May 08, 2013 7:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 08, 2013 7:47 pm UTC

I call them "The Constellations of Time". Enjoy.

Cool, now only if helper would come back so we can quote more to stay on the top!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”