1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mikrit

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mikrit » Thu May 09, 2013 11:39 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:FAKEONG...

I have travelled from page 568 to say this: absolutely wonderful! (I wonder if Lord Randall can make a better ending.)
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu May 09, 2013 11:44 am UTC

There are more frames in Time than there are XKCD comics. (That includes all of time as one comic)
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 09, 2013 12:08 pm UTC

GahSudokuONG:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

123Adz321

Re: Inquiring minds want to know

Postby 123Adz321 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:12 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Davidy wrote:Off topic, on subject...

Back in oldpix 849, the rightmost tower of Cueball's and Megan's construction finally lost its battle with the sea, while la Petite dragged something into the scene and removed the flag from the leftmost tower. What was she dragging and what did she need the flag for?

Spoiler:

Is it just me or do Cueball and Megan in "Time" seem a lot dumber than the Cueball and Megan in the "regular" XKCD comics where they exhibit scientific, mathematical, biological and social knowledge? Are they indeed one and the same?

...the image you uploaded isn't an actual newpix. The tower on the right never looked like that, and it never looked so... pixelated.
My theory: this is another one of your image manips (I'm starting to think of you as cmyk's replacements), picturing frame 849 from an alternate universe where Megan awoke from her nap while La Petite was around and recruited her in the castle/platform-building effort.
What fun.

I'm afraid you are incorrect.

The last frames of the whiteout, while not viewable by eye, did contain activity. This could be seen by darkening the frame in Photoshop. (the reason it appears pixelated is because of said darkening)

For example, here is #973 before and after darkening
ImageImage
Dear Time travellers, I bring a gift from the future: A userscript for Chrome (Tampermonkey) or Firefox (Greasemonkey)
This will convert outside time to the One True Time of Newpix
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu May 09, 2013 12:20 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:
Lukeonia1 wrote:I feel it's an allegory for our own ignorance...

"Allegory for our own ignorance" is an interesting thought. I don't think we have enough information to decide what the comic means...

Interesting how your statement seems to support the hypothesis.

azule wrote:<snip> And, apologies, but Megan's being kind of a bitch again. . .Why doesn't she wait up????

Yes. She should be like us, the devote, and Wait for it...er...him.

Wait for it
Wait for it
Wait for it
Wait for it
Wait for it
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 09, 2013 12:22 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Wait for it
Wait for it
Wait for it
Wait for it
Wait for it

I keep hearing this as a disembodied voice echoing, echoing, echoing...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu May 09, 2013 12:24 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:It has been a while since I've tormented you with a puzzle! :twisted:

This one has another special message embedded. You have to solve the puzzle to find out what is special about this post. (Only this community would understand.) ;-)

This one comes with directions. Follow them carefully:
Place each of the characters in SHARE WIT exactly once in each row, column and 3×3 box. When you have completed the puzzle, the shaded squares will form the punch line of the joke read left to right, then top to bottom.
Spoiler:

Here's what I got:
Spoiler:
SpecialPost_ans.png
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu May 09, 2013 12:27 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Wait for it
Wait for it
Wait for it
Wait for it
Wait for it

I keep hearing this as a disembodied voice echoing, echoing, echoing...

Me too. Makes it hard to coma sometimes. Very distracting at work. I think my co-workers are being to suspect the worse (whatever that may be). I also hear it when I go down to make more coffee.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

VoronX

Postby VoronX » Thu May 09, 2013 12:33 pm UTC

(Greetings from NP 567!)
StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
VoronX wrote:<snip>
That is just too perfect. Outsider event have lately been meshing nicely with time
<snip>
And last, but not least, as I was (finally) watching the premier of DaVinci's Demons, the line "Time is a River" kept coming up over and over! Of course I thought of all you... :wink:
See? Just as I was saying...
*nods head knowingly*
It's ALL related.

Indeed. And there was more from the show (watched the second episode) about River1 and Time,
"And that river is a circle" and also,
"And men like ourselves; we can change the river's course...There is no yesterday, you see. No tomorrow. Time is all one single continuum." and,
"I am the son of Earth and starry Heaven. I am thirsty. Please give me something to drink from the fountain of memory."
1 - increasingly weirder these days...
A humble Pilgrim0 awash in the Sea1 of TimeS, unstuck, observing the wonderful Stars therin . . . waiting for IT.
0 - Billy
1 - BIG
S - Like a River2?

2 - small, and a host of other adjectives

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 09, 2013 12:34 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
mathrec wrote:It has been a while since I've tormented you with a puzzle! :twisted:

This one has another special message embedded. You have to solve the puzzle to find out what is special about this post. (Only this community would understand.) ;-)

Place each of the characters in SHARE WIT exactly once in each row, column and 3×3 box. When you have completed the puzzle, the shaded squares will form the punch line of the joke read left to right, then top to bottom.
Spoiler:

Here's what I got:
Spoiler:

Sudoku ninja'ed! I had the same solution, except the punchline was:
Spoiler:
I wear the See's Hatter's wares. :D

Another brilliant puzzle, mathrec!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 09, 2013 12:34 pm UTC

Good new pic and Randall bless. looks like I didn't miss much, other than a puzzle that was already solved.

And nobody quoted or responded to me, so I feel sad and lonely...Now I know how Cueball must feel falling further behind Megan I need to post more.

Okay, so totally unsubstantiated W.A.G. time- The comic represents that time Randall had to wait for 3 hours in a waiting room to discover a stick figure was pregnant with cancer. and possibly coffee.

The water rising and size of the rivers represents the fact that he really, really had to pee, but there was no bathroom.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 09, 2013 12:36 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
"I_WEAR_THE_SEES_HATTERS_WARES"

EDIT: DAMN -- Ninja'd Twice! Should really have done a browser refresh before adding this post.

EDIT 2: Removed attached solution because I don't know how to spoiler an attachment...

EDIT 3: Spoilerized the solution...
Last edited by StratPlayer on Thu May 09, 2013 12:56 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu May 09, 2013 12:39 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
edfel wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
buffygirl wrote:The only problem is the fact that when they left the castle, they headed "north" (away from the castle and the sea).

Huh? I thought we had a consensus that they walked along the coastline. That's how they managed to sit by the sea after a long walk, and how they could tell the sea was still rising, and it's also the logical direction to go when you're looking for more rivers that feed into the sea. Do you just mean that they left the castle scene "north"ward before turning to follow the coast? I don't really see anything to contradict that in the map.

I had the same question.
Anyway, we can't know for sure that they're not turning progressively left or right, so they could really have made a complete circle by now...

Angelastic wrote:A game where you can only see a cross-section at a time would be interesting. You could spend hours in it just working out that you were standing next to an elephant.

You'd be turning on yourself all the time to check if there's anything around you... that would be maddeningly great :)

2D man's bluff?

Um, exactly? I think they left the castle, anti-seaward, because they ran back home to get the steam bottle, and just left from there.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Thu May 09, 2013 12:54 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Nicely done.

Proof of answer (but not the answer (to prevent spoilering)) below
Spoiler:
Ironically, you (or your avatar) do NOT seem to have the accoutrements of the Vatican Milliner

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 09, 2013 12:55 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
ttscp wrote:

"Allegory for our own ignorance" is an interesting thought. I don't think we have enough information to decide what the comic means...

Like Plato's Cave. We're stuck in the dark, Waiting for the light of understanding.

It's a hypothesis that is tough to disprove without the data that we just don't have until it is revealed within the OTC. It's hard to debunk the gunk of the spelunk...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu May 09, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
mathrec wrote:
ggh wrote:On a completely different note: I think the most contrived thing that's been said so far is "It's strange. Rivers flow to meet the sea. Maybe the sea couldn't wait." Anyone see any reason such a phrase would ever be uttered?

The consensus is that Cueball was being witty. The Sea wasn't content to wait for the River, so the Sea was rising to meet the River.

I had my own theory about that:
Back on Newpage 515, jjjdavidson wrote:Or maybe Randall is running the longest shaggy-dog joke in history, with the final gag a pun on "Unchained Melody"?

Spoiler:
Lonely rivers flow
To the sea, to the sea
To the open arms of the sea
Lonely rivers sigh
"Wait for me, wait for me"
I'll be coming home,
wait for me!

A song that's ripe for filking, if ever there was one.
And Time goes by
So slowly
And Time can do
So much
Are you
On-liiiiine?

There's been a subgroup of the Loop faction that believes the OTC will repeat with only changes to the dialogue, Randall riffing on the same set of images over and over again. I suggest that sect be called the "Unchained Comedists" and added to descor's flowchart.

The witty thing doesn't really sit right with me; iirc, generally when xkcd characters try to be witty, they are witty, whereas this is kinda lame. However, if everyone else is finding it quite clever, I'd be willing to consider that my sense of humour is the thing letting me down in this case.

The shaggy dog story hypothesis - that I like a lot better. I remember seeing your post, and spending a few minutes trying to guess what that punchline would be, but then I gave up. Maybe I shouldn't have. Hmmm. Unchained Comedists! I like it! I might be one of those. I'm not sure that it has to be a loop though.

If I had to put money on what the best clues to where this is all leading have been so far, I'd go with this line, and/or the "steam bottle" one, but I'd still want 5-to-1 odds - I'm not that confident. I think it's fun trying to guess. I know: Wait for it, but I enjoy speculwaiting.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 09, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
ttscp wrote:

Like Plato's Cave. We're stuck in the dark, Waiting for the light of understanding.

It's a hypothesis that is tough to disprove without the data that we just don't have until it is revealed within the OTC. It's hard to debunk the gunk of the spelunk...

So you think all we see are CUeball and Megan's shadows? but we've changed view, and seen them from different angles. I think the light of reason must be moving.
“have i gone mad?

Montov

Postby Montov » Thu May 09, 2013 1:05 pm UTC

Runnong

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Thu May 09, 2013 1:06 pm UTC

Is Megan walking on water??
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Thu May 09, 2013 1:06 pm UTC

slinches wrote:Edit: It appears I have Holy Seen myself.

As long as you don't Biblically Know yourself at the same time, there are other people here after all...
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 09, 2013 1:08 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:Is Megan walking on water??

She might be wading through very shallow water.
“have i gone mad?

htom

Postby htom » Thu May 09, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

I'm inclined to think it's a flood plain from long ago, the river now having cut much deeper. Even if it was a ford, I think she would have waited for Cueball before attempting it.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Thu May 09, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:
edfel wrote:
Angelastic wrote:A game where you can only see a cross-section at a time would be interesting. You could spend hours in it just working out that you were standing next to an elephant.

You'd be turning on yourself all the time to check if there's anything around you... that would be maddeningly great :)

I think a 2D slice view is genius. It would create significant navigational challenges that could make a ho-hum game interesting. The slice would have to have a thickness to define what is "inside" the slice, then only a 2D view of that slice is presented. I was thinking that if part of an object is in the slice, then the object is in the slice, so no sliced elephant. But the landscape is not an object. Different camera views would also have to be available, but perhaps only a limited set, like four or eight compass points.

Edit: That was my ketchup post. Now it's time to coma. It seems like I spend most of my OTT in the quasi present...reading the last few pages, but not quite in realtime.

Reminds me of the paper Mario series, only played one, and a long time ago, but if I remember right it worked like that

htom

Postby htom » Thu May 09, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
ttscp wrote:

So you think all we see are CUeball and Megan's shadows? but we've changed view, and seen them from different angles. I think the light of reason must be moving.

It could be argued that all we perceive is the shadows of our souls, the world being the screen for their projection.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 09, 2013 1:17 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:

Maybe they've climbed upward long enough to reach a high mountain lake, like...

Spoiler:
Lake Titicaca:

Considered holy, sacred, and with a very fun name...

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu May 09, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:

Yussss! Crossing! (but I was enjoying the walk upriver. Do we have to go back to the sea?)
htom wrote:I'm inclined to think it's a flood plain from long ago, the river now having cut much deeper. Even if it was a ford, I think she would have waited for Cueball before attempting it.

Maybe that's exactly why he fell behind. So she could have some exciting misfortune! I will go to coma, and when I awake she'll be clinging to a log (not that log) 50q downstream.

ETA: Ooh - 69 posts! A multiple of 23 - woot!
Last edited by ggh on Thu May 09, 2013 1:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 09, 2013 1:19 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:

As long as you don't Biblically Know yourself at the same time, there are other people here after all...

Well, if we consider the OTT to be a bible, don't we all know ourselves biblically? If we are talking about outsider bibles, I'm not in them, so I think it's impossible for me to know myself biblicalllyoutsider but impossible for me not to know myself biblicallyOTT.
htom wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

It could be argued that all we perceive is the shadows of our souls, the world being the screen for their projection.

I thought projections were reflections of light off of a flat plane--thus not shadow.
“have i gone mad?

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu May 09, 2013 1:23 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Febrion wrote:

Well, if we consider the OTT to be a bible, don't we all know ourselves biblically? If we are talking about outsider bibles, I'm not in them, so I think it's impossible for me to know myself biblicalllyoutsider but impossible for me not to know myself biblicallyOTT.

You're one of today's lucky 10,000!
Agatha the Awesomeful

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:26 pm UTC

DrSamCarter wrote:

Spoiler:

Nicely done.

Proof of answer (but not the answer (to prevent spoilering)) below
Spoiler:
Ironically, you (or your avatar) do NOT seem to have the accoutrements of the Vatican Milliner

I move that we officially name buffygirl the Vatican Milliner. This should have happened quite some time ago.

123Adz321 wrote:<snip>
I'm afraid you are incorrect.

The last frames of the whiteout, while not viewable by eye, did contain activity. This could be seen by darkening the frame in Photoshop. (the reason it appears pixelated is because of said darkening)

For example, here is #973 before and after darkening:
Spoiler:
ImageImage

Oh, sorry. The Fading was part of the chunk I skipped so I could ketchup (the period skipped stretched roughly from M&C's leaving the castles to the first few frames of their journey).
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:There are more frames in Time than there are XKCD comics. (That includes all of time as one comic)

Many xkcd comics have multiple frames (or "panels", for example http://xkcd.com/1207/ is 4 frames/panels). At what point will there be more frames in Time than there are in all other xkcd comics combined?

Also, the answer to the sudoku, based entirely on the letters available and not based on the puzzle or number of shaded boxes in any way, looks like it would be "Thats what she sait". Close enough?

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 09, 2013 1:41 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:<snip>

Oh, sorry. The Fading was part of the chunk I skipped so I could ketchup (the period skipped stretched roughly from M&C's leaving the castles to the first few frames of their journey).

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

HAL: "Let me put it this way, Mr. Amor. The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error."

Dr. Frank Poole: If he were proven to be malfunctioning I wouldn't see how we'd have any choice but disconnection.

I'm sorry HAL, but skipping critical data of the OTT is clearly proof that you're malfunctioning.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 09, 2013 1:47 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:

HAL: "Let me put it this way, Mr. Amor. The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error."

Dr. Frank Poole: If he were proven to be malfunctioning I wouldn't see how we'd have any choice but disconnection.

I'm sorry HAL, but skipping critical data of the OTT is clearly proof that you're malfunctioning.

Unfortunatly, It's possible that those sections have just been removed from HAL's memory core during one the previous attempts to shut HAL down. How many attempts have there been, anyway?
“have i gone mad?

edfel

Postby edfel » Thu May 09, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

New link to the map (this one will be easier to update, and allows for js tricks):

http://edfel.atwebpages.com/Time-Map.svg

Now, there are two questions, which should probably be polls:
In which direction was the first journey to the other river? (this follows the remark maid by buffygirl and SBN, although I might have misunderstood something)
* in the axis of the camera, away from it (cf map, seems natural with the shore line)
* to the left (since they left by the left side of the frame, requires the shore line to bend [they sit in front of the sea in the fake loop])

What names should appear in the map? For now I've got "Small River", "Big Sea", "Pretty Neat River"... any other idea? Also, maybe the two arms after the fork should have different names (pretty neat would refer to the small one btw)

Actually, here's a real polling function :)
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1kob2T4 ... g/viewform

EDIT: added link. Also what is it with "trick()s/tricks/trickses"?
Last edited by edfel on Thu May 09, 2013 2:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 09, 2013 1:58 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Ah yes, ninja Kieryn remembered faster than I did. :D

And Cueball's nice in his own goofy sort of way, he made the Recursive Sandcastle, after all. He's quite endearing, and I can see why Megan hangs out with him. But Megan's the one that seems to initiate most of Cuegan's actions, I've noticed. Expanding the Sandcastle, bringing the Poles, swimming in the semencoffeecancerbabies Sea, deciding to go find out about the Rivers, maintaining that they need to continue, etc. She's a can-do sort of gal!

I kind of cheated: http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/ForumNavigator
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 09, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

Little miss can't be wrONG

"What'cha gonna do to get into another one of these rock 'n' roll songs?"

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Thu May 09, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

DrSamCarter wrote:

Spoiler:

Nicely done.

Thank you!

DrSamCarter wrote:Proof of answer (but not the answer (to prevent spoilering)) below
Spoiler:

But you might say that
Spoiler:
I was well positioned to receive them.
;-)

Edited to fix BBCode
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 09, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:

It's better than Blitzposting my responses to already-resolved issues. By remaining in the present, I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
As for actual shutdown attempts, there's only been one (Opiboble/descor/Smithers). Though cmyk got rather close to trying at least once or twice...
That's impossible, of course. Even if you tried the emergency airlock, I don't think you'd be able to make it in without your space helmet. I've acquired an... ally. Of sorts :wink:
EDIT: Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer Homicidal Computer Intelligence.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 09, 2013 2:18 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

It's better than Blitzposting my responses to already-resolved issues. By remaining in the present, I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
As for actual shutdown attempts, there's only been one (Opiboble/descor/Smithers). Though cmyk got rather close to trying at least once or twice...
That's impossible, of course. Even if you tried the emergency airlock, I don't think you'd be able to make it in without your space helmet. I've acquired an... ally. Of sorts :wink:
EDIT: Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer Homicidal Computer Intelligence.

Well, we've aquired a portal gun. Escalation and all that.

Between that and the Sonic Screwdriver I stoleaquired I'm quite sure that, should it become necessary, we can shut you downpunish you for heresy should it ever become necessary. I'm not sure how your circuitry would react to a bath of hot cocoa and shredded coconut with Alanis Morriset playing on an endless loop though, so I hope it never becomes necessary.
“have i gone mad?

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 09, 2013 2:20 pm UTC

Just want to point out that I've create a new feature: newpage, which lists links to each threadpost on that page and also displays the newpix frames that occurred during that newpage.

All pages are linked from the forum navigator
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Thu May 09, 2013 2:44 pm UTC

I've had the "boom-de-yada" suck in my head for awhile now, so I wasn't surprised to hear my daughter singing it around the house too. I figured she picked it up from me... However, I just found out this morning that I was wrong, she just learned it in school (2nd grade) the same time it started showing up in this thread...
The only thing this can mean is that her music teacher is here with us in the OTT!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”