1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 09, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Opiboble wrote:I think Lord Randall would have shown us the epicenes of the size of the bridge if it was a bridge.
If it were a bridge, he may yet. We'll just have to...
Spoiler:

Jose

I see what you did not do, and you thought you were so clever!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Thu May 09, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

Lyoug wrote:This is partly because my numbers are colored (synesthesia anyone?). Well, my vowels are colored too, but consonants are all black to me, so it's still harder.
But I forced myself to solve this one with letters only :)

Ha, it's the opposite for me: most numbers are no particular color (except 3 which is dark red and 4 which is green), vowel are white except "u" which for some reason is black, but consonants have a glorious variety of colors.

slinches wrote:And they're exiting flatland:
Spoiler:

Well, it's pretty flat, but not quite 2-dimensional.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu May 09, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:Today I realized that, at some point in the past week or so, I stopped going out and looking at the original link that I usually followed to view newpix. Instead, I just automatically come to this thread and start catching up from where I left off. All of the newpix are posted here (often multiple times), so there's no need to go out to the web to look for them anywhere else. If I always just catch up, I'll pick up any newpix I may have missed chronologically.

Now, if I can just get you guys to start talking about all of the other things of interest to me (TV shows I watch, daily news reports, etc.) I may find that I never need to leave this forum at all. :D

I can see it now: hundreds, nay thousands, of people all over the world, wandering around wearing "Google Glass" and muttering "Wait for It","Wait for It", "Wait for It"....
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu May 09, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:<snip>
Edit
does this mean I qualify for a hat?
? no Sir Inquisitor, I do not remember any names. No, not the comfy chair and the chocolate.......

Wait...the Inquisitor has chocolate!? I was not told. :(
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

descor

Postby descor » Thu May 09, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Edit
? no Sir Inquisitor, I do not remember any names. No, not the comfy chair and the chocolate.......

Enforced happiness has been the standard punishment for heresy since the Inquistion was expected created. Oh yes, we are a civilised religion.
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu May 09, 2013 8:47 pm UTC

descor wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Edit

Enforced happiness has been the standard punishment for heresy since the Inquistion was expected created. Oh yes, we are a civilised religion.

Such thoughts I have not thought; To remain a devote and true believer of the Creator of Time, the OTC? Or give in to heresy and think heretical thoughts so that I may be given chocolate whilst in a big comfy chair by the Inquisitor? 'Tis hard to know what is right.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Thu May 09, 2013 8:56 pm UTC

bighaben wrote:
mscha wrote:
bighaben wrote:Does anyone else think that these last two images are artificially flat. Like their walking on a parking lot, a road, or something else.

Flood plain (as others have mentioned) seems more logical, considering the emptiness of their universe.

I'd like to agree but nothing has been this flat ever in the comic. And flood plains are rarely that flat.

I'm also someone who likes to think their in some post-apocalyptic world, but I only think that because I think it'd be cool.

The substrate under the mustard was that flat. I'm going to assert (without adequate argument) that they have walked out of the part of the Universe that GLR has drawn and they are now in the "empty places".
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu May 09, 2013 8:57 pm UTC

descor wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Edit

Like The Force, we have a Dark Side and a Light Side. Ours just happen to be dark chocolate and milk chocolate, respectively.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Thu May 09, 2013 8:58 pm UTC

descor wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Edit

Except for the burning of the steaks! That is not pleasant.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu May 09, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
descor wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Edit

Like The Force, we have a Dark Side and a Light Side. Ours just happen to be dark chocolate and milk chocolate, respectively.

Even Dark Chocolate? Oh dear, I don't think I woke up this morning quite prepared for facing such a devotional crisis today. Oh, to be a heretic brought forth before the Inquisitor, sat in a comfy chair and fed Dark Chocolate. What to do?

That which is the only thing to do, I suppose. I shall Wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it.
Wait for it.
Wait for it.
Wait for it.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu May 09, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

Here comes the Ong, here comes the Ong, ladies and gents; here comes the Ong

Edit
Okay, dry river bed?
Hey I've always been willing to be shown the errors of my way

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

edfel

Postby edfel » Thu May 09, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

I don't know about dry river beds, but I think "there" are higher hills, rather of the canyon or mountain persuasion, through which it is not trivial to follow a river...
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu May 09, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
edfel wrote:Has anyone already tried to estimate the "time" Cuegan have been walking? <snip>

I feel like the dialogue has established that it's been several days since the beginning of the comic and at least 2 days for the trek. I suspect that we are supposed to assume that when they lay down they are sleeping. See Book of Geekwagon pix 1128-1135, where Cueball is dreaming and Megan kicks him awake.

Also, is this world really dangerous, why does only one of them sleep at a time?

I am also of the school of it's-been-several-days thought, as I've said before - I think there's a lot of artistic license with the passage of times between frames. On the other hand though, often when time passes, the characters appear more unkempt, which hasn't happened here, so maybe I'm full of it.

ucim wrote:
Lyoug wrote:This is partly because my numbers are colored (synesthesia anyone?)
My only experience with synesthesia: In a prior year I had sung [some piece I can no longer recall the title of] in choir. It was one of many pieces, nothing special as goes the rest of the repetoire. The following year I was in a monestary in Italy where the cubicles each had a painting on the wall, many of which were very similar and not very inspring (Jesus on the cross, gushing blood from the abdomen in a stylistic manner). There were so many of them that it seems they were the output of a beginning painting class or something. But a few of them were different, of them a few were quite good.

In any case, one of them42 was identical to that song I had sung. Not "evocative", in the sense that the Pastoral Symphony (of Beethoven) is evocative of a spring day, not "descriptive" in the sense that the words and music described the scene. Not "linked" in the sense that I may have seen the picture while listening to that piece some time ago. No, identical, despite their being different media, different subjects, and different contexts. They were the same thing. It was the weirdest feeling - and it was not a fleeting moment either. I had never felt that kind of thing before, and never have since.

At the time, I did not know there was a word for it. I've since learned that it's not unheard of, though it is not all that common. It cannot be described; you just have to experience it to understand it.

Jose
42It might have been several, or the entire set. I don't remember well.

Wow - the cool things to be learned here! (although I wish I could unlearn about that amoeba.)
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu May 09, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:Here comes the Ong, here comes the Ong, ladies and gents; here comes the Ong

Edit
Okay, dry river bed?

Maybe still too flat to be a river bed, and they would not be crossing something that which they are "following," would they? Perhaps they are parallel to the river but above it, on the edge of some higher bluff? She is pointing down.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Thu May 09, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:EDIT 2: Removed attached solution because I don't know how to spoiler an attachment...

After uploading an attachment, a "Place inline" button should appear. If you click it, it adds an [ attachment ] block to the post which you can move to where you want the attachment to appear. Now you can place that inside a spoiler block.
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

Lyoug

Postby Lyoug » Thu May 09, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

ucim wrote:My only experience with synesthesia: In a prior year I had sung [some piece I can no longer recall the title of] in choir. It was one of many pieces, nothing special as goes the rest of the repetoire. The following year I was in a monestary in Italy where the cubicles each had a painting on the wall, many of which were very similar and not very inspring (Jesus on the cross, gushing blood from the abdomen in a stylistic manner). There were so many of them that it seems they were the output of a beginning painting class or something. But a few of them were different, of them a few were quite good.

In any case, one of them42 was identical to that song I had sung. Not "evocative", in the sense that the Pastoral Symphony (of Beethoven) is evocative of a spring day, not "descriptive" in the sense that the words and music described the scene. Not "linked" in the sense that I may have seen the picture while listening to that piece some time ago. No, identical, despite their being different media, different subjects, and different contexts. They were the same thing. It was the weirdest feeling - and it was not a fleeting moment either. I had never felt that kind of thing before, and never have since.

Awesome experience! Must have felt weird indeed, and "wow" at the same time. I've never heard about such an intense mix of senses.
ucim wrote:At the time, I did not know there was a word for it. I've since learned that it's not unheard of, though it is not all that common. It cannot be described; you just have to experience it to understand it.

As a kid, I just assumed everyone was like me (I guess many kids do that), i.e. saw colored numbers and colored vowels. I didn't ask myself about it until much later. The oldest memory I have of discussing number and letter colors is from high school (not that old, 8-10 years ago), with a friend that happened to have grapheme->color synesthesia just like me. We debated about the colors of vowels for days :P Then we went and asked other people about it, and found out most of our friends and families didn't see those colors. That's when we learned about synesthesia.
I was surprised to learn that seeing the sequence of numbers in a particular shape was also considered synesthesia, as well associating a personality to letters or numbers (I personally only feel some letters are feminine and others are masculine, not a whole personality).
Since then, a part of my getting to know someone will at some point include questions like "how do you see numbers when you count?" or "are your months arranged in any pattern?", and "what about the days of the week?". Most of the times I'll get a puzzled look; but when I come across someone who starts talking and talking... :o well I just love that, since indeed it is a feeling that cannot really be described, or quite vaguely at best. So running into someone experiencing it as well gives an instantaneous connexion :) (Well, anything in common with someone else does I guess.)

Davidy wrote:I'd give anything to have synesthia. It must provide a whole new way of looking at the world that the majority of us don't experience.

Yeah. I've always been a little jealous of people who would experience other forms of synesthesia that I can't feel, so I get what you're saying :)

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Thu May 09, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:Here comes the Ong, here comes the Ong, ladies and gents; here comes the Ong
Spoiler:

Edit
Okay, dry river bed?

There are lots of things a river could run through. Canyon? Pipeline? Demilitarized zone?

Could it be they've found the it we've been waiting for? After all, it's said that a river runs through it.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu May 09, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Maybe still too flat to be a river bed, and they would not be crossing something that which they are "following," would they? Perhaps they are parallel to the river but above it, on the edge of some higher bluff? She is pointing down.

Cave?
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu May 09, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

kieryn - I just want to say how awesome your charts and graphs are! There should be a well-marked special page in the wiki for them (or links to them).

One thing - in (for example)
http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/Thr ... Id=3351319
where it says (for example):
On NewPage 573 jjjdavidson did spake:

Grammatically is should be "jjjdavidson spake:" or "jjjdavidson did speak". I kind of prefer the former, but the construction "did spake" warps the time continuum, and may open a portal to raptors.

Also, could the default for your "posts per dodecanewpix broken out by poster" have the total ignored by default? For most posters, the total dwarfs the individual contribution. (It would be nice to have the total overlain, scaled, but I'm not going to ask for that, as it's probably more than just a little bit of programming.) :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu May 09, 2013 9:20 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:

Edit
Okay, dry river bed?

Maybe still too flat to be a river bed, and they would not be crossing something that which they are "following," would they? Perhaps they are parallel to the river but above it, on the edge of some higher bluff? She is pointing down.

My first thought was lava tubes, like these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p69gRe9-YIA
Probably best not to follow it there.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Thu May 09, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Spoiler:

Edit
Okay, dry river bed?

My first thought was lava tubes, like these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p69gRe9-YIA

I would suggest it could also be a cenote, but there's nowhere near enough vegetation for them to be on the Yucatan peninsula.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu May 09, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

Interesting stuff happened when I was following Time! Yay!
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

descor

Postby descor » Thu May 09, 2013 9:31 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:Interesting stuff happened when I was following Time! Yay!

Something is going wrong with the Timeline. First Kieryn made a correct1 prediction and now Minim is around for dialogue in a Timeframe. What will happen next?

1 Alledgedly
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu May 09, 2013 9:35 pm UTC

descor wrote:Something is going wrong with the Timeline.
Well, we already know that the river of Time is broken, I guess it stands to reason that the river of time is broken too. Or is that the River of Time? (I'm going to the grocery, I hope I don't run into a Reaver of thyme)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu May 09, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

descor wrote:
TheMinim wrote:Interesting stuff happened when I was following Time! Yay!

Something is going wrong with the Timeline. First Kieryn made a correct1 prediction and now Minim is around for dialogue in a Timeframe. What will happen next?

1 Alledgedly

I'll be keeping an eye on the dogs & cats. I suspect they may be living in sin.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Thu May 09, 2013 9:39 pm UTC

Blitz progress: 501 of 580
The River Encounter, NP1043

List of discussions:
Direction of the Great Hike (clockwise? counter-clockwise? digital-clockwise?)
Finding the river (which is small)
Helper's possible case of schizophrenia (is he the same person as cmyk? will we ever find out for sure?)
More talk of the OtherComic, #915
Computer innuendo, summed up quite nicely by jetpac:
jetpac wrote:This thread has really developed an odd combination of childish whimsy and decidedly PG-13 allusions. I like it.
Otter[ly ridiculous] puns
-- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .
A rogue lurker commenting on an Outside article, in a somewhat ill-advised manner
Celebration of a half-millenipost

Random responses:
Spoiler:
Whizbang wrote:Yes! She is pregnant!
Aaaaand we're back to the morbid speculation rampant in the dawn of the OTT, a recurring theme popping its ugly head throughout Time.

lmjb1964 wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:I don't know how a computer can high five, but I'll try to imagine it.

Nope. Can't. Whatever, yay for Abney Park!

Eject your CD tray, I'll slap it.

That sounded kinkier than I intended.

Do HAL 9000s even have CD trays?

Yes. And ethernet ports, if you catch my drift. We can do a little... networking.

I say! *fans self* ...is it getting hot in here?

I think so, better take my shirt off.

Good idea, although as a sea otter I can't remove my fur :(

Yeah, but look at the plus side: you can get away with skinny dipping all the time!

True. It's not a bad life at all really, this sea otter lark.

As long as you're not a female, and it's time to mate. Actually, your avatar looks to be a female otter. I say all of that because of this: http://www.ask.com/question/how-do-sea-otters-reproduce

Edited to fix a spelling error that I can't believe I made. That's what I get for trying to do more than one thing at a time.

Edit 2 to fix a spelling error in my previous edit. I think I need a vacation.
Holy hell that is terrifying... but, considering I am neither female nor an otter, I don't think I should be concerned. Right?

PhoenixRising wrote:456/492.

*SNIP*

Small wall of replies (in the hope that this mini-wall actually gets read :P - I have no such illusions about my full walls, it would take you guys forever. Except BlitzGirl. But hey, she's BlitzGirl.)

*SNIP*
I've been reading the whole things... maybe that's part of why I'm not Time Traveling as quickly as I'd hoped. That's ok, though, as long as Time doesn't stop until I catch back up.

jovialbard wrote:
Valarya wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Helper wrote:Maybe it's a message in a steambottle. . . . / - - - / . . .

dot dot...OH it's morse code. SOS. I get it.

.-- .- .. - / ..-. --- .-. / .. - .-.-.-

--- .... / .-. .- -. -.. .- .-.. .-.. / .. ... / - .... .. ... / - .... . / -. . .-- / .-. --- - .---- ...--

.- -... / --. ..- ...- ..-. / ...- ..-. / --. ..- .-. / .- .-. .--- / . -... --. .---- ...--

-. .- --.- / .--- ...- --. ..- / --. ..- -. --. / ...- / --.. .... ..-. --. / .--. -... --.. -.
I am oh so very sorry for partaking in the ROT13 craze some time ago (and, well, making it much worse in some ways...), but this is something else... ROT13 embedded in Morse Code (MORSE13, maybe)? Say it ain't so!

Helper wrote:Nobody cracked my AES :cry:
I'd say that's mostly because AES decryption isn't a simple algorithm, at least unless you know the passphrase used in the encoding process. Assuming I'm remembering AES correctly, of course.

KarMann wrote:On another (older) subject: Does anyone else find themselves trying to pronounce "bboz dr yndn" as it's spelled (without semi-rot13-decryption) when looking at BlitzGirl's glorious comic? Not only do I, but to make matters worse, sometimes I think of the middle word as "doctor". :?
*snip*
Not me, but then again I knew what it was as soon as I saw what it was and that it was mine :D

Flotter wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:My prediction is that they'll get it, but not with the rope.
Then again, none of my predictions have come to fruition in the OTCØ

ØThis is my first prediction, so it must be true

1No, no footnote mess this time. Contain yourself!
2ok.

PS: Can I mess in the postscript then?
PPS: Well this time then. If you really need to.
PPPS: Yaay!

I have a question: If there's a footnote in someone's post which isn't referenced anywhere, should you read it?

And yay! 100 posts (all in this topic :P)
Yes. All of it must be read. That is the only proper way to Blitz the One True Thread

Vytron wrote:
macraw83 wrote:Hmm... What if we added one of their time capsule messages to our sigs? Would that technically be them looking into their own future, or their past?

The future.

My brain may be tricking me into thinking that I'm writing this now, but clearly, I'm in April 10. This post has a time stamp of May 2. The future, unambiguously.

Thinking I'm posting this in my present is an Outsider Illusion, the truth is, this message doesn't exist until I catch up to it (that's why catching it is important). Though, from your frame of reference, I'm posting it now (but it'll be forever in the past after you read it - so much, that when I actually read it, it'll be my past too, because I'll read it at a much later time.)

macraw83 wrote:And on that note, what if we quoted them on something they might eventually say? They might have to say it eventually just to fulfill the prophecy (assuming that's what it even is).

That would be risky. What if you quote me posting something I never say? That could get paradoxical quickly.
I was quoted in another Time Traveler's signpost! I'm not sure if responding to it here is the most efficient mode of communication, because who knows how far into his future it is right now (or, maybe he's already caught up, but I don't know since I'm still stuck in the past myself. And then factoring how long it would take me to catch up to any potential responses...), but here it goes anyway:

I suppose you're correct. It is only my Outsider influences (including the computer I'm Blitzing the One True Thread on... odd) that are telling me that it is currently May 9, when in fact I am currently in the day May 2.

And also, for the second bit, I've added a little something to my sig, and I'm curious as to how it plays out. :wink:

ucim wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:More like third or fourth BlitzGirl. Don't forget about Vytron! And all the other intrepid souls embarking on their pilgrimage through the OTT!
I wasn't sure who was all still trekking, since I passed various signposts on my way here. (Kryton, Vytron, and one or two others.) But I stand corrected.
...which is why subsequent successful Blitzers will acquire the title "BlitzGirl the Next", rather than specific numbers.

A successful Blitz is awesome, and One True Path gets longer as Time goes on, so unlike most sequels, the title "BlitzGirl the Next" increases in awesomeness as (the undeclared) n increases.

Jose
This is one of the more logic-filled posts regarding title distribution that I've come across so far. And even though I am definitely not a female, I would be honored to receive the title BlitzGirl the Next upon my return to the present, assuming that my relatively minor 90-NewPage deficit (but much longer Blitz once the additional NewPages are taken into account) is deemed worthy enough for such an honor. And if there are no gender restrictions on the title, of course.

jjjdavidson wrote:
pelrigg wrote:Just de-coma'd. Did mini-Blitz from pg 49 to pg 500...

451 newpages is a mini-Blitz? Dude, you either need to decrease your dosage or increase it. ;-)
Taking his post at face value I'd say he was pretty damn close to maximum dose, there. However, we got the whole story on the next page:
pelrigg wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
pelrigg wrote:Just de-coma'd. Did mini-Blitz from pg 49 to pg 500...

451 newpages is a mini-Blitz? Dude, you either need to decrease your dosage or increase it. ;-)

Er...ah...would you believe 496 to 500?
{I really should have had my mug of joe before typing.

Oh, and dreiarmumig, unless you were there you couldn't have known what we were talking about. I mean his new sig was up for less than 5 minutes....
496 is much more believable. And a much much MUCH lower dose.

EDIT 1: Changed to proper Newpix number.
EDIT 2: Added EDIT footnotes.
Last edited by macraw83 on Thu May 09, 2013 10:06 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu May 09, 2013 9:39 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
ucim wrote:
Opiboble wrote:I think Lord Randall would have shown us the epicenes of the size of the bridge if it was a bridge.
If it were a bridge, he may yet. We'll just have to...
Spoiler:

Jose

I see what you did not do, and you thought you were so clever!

I dunno, I clicked it once, got angry, clicked it twice more... then laughed. He got me, even though I'd already said Wait for It in my head!
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Thu May 09, 2013 9:48 pm UTC

And... I'm back in the present! Woohoo! Oh wow, I like what you've done with the place. It's kind of unfortunate that my workday will be over in another 10 minutes or so, and then my brother's getting married this weekend. I'm gonna fall behind again in no time. Oh welll...

(Maybe I shouldn't refer to my brother getting married as "unfortunate")

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Thu May 09, 2013 9:55 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:And... I'm back in the present! Woohoo! Oh wow, I like what you've done with the place. It's kind of unfortunate that my workday will be over in another 10 minutes or so, and then my brother's getting married this weekend. I'm gonna fall behind again in no time. Oh welll...

It could be either very fortunate or entirely unfortunate. That just depends on your brother, his fiancee and if the reception hall has wifi. :mrgreen:

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Thu May 09, 2013 9:55 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
Spoiler:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:I don't know how a computer can high five, but I'll try to imagine it.

Nope. Can't. Whatever, yay for Abney Park!

Eject your CD tray, I'll slap it.

That sounded kinkier than I intended.

Do HAL 9000s even have CD trays?

Yes. And ethernet ports, if you catch my drift. We can do a little... networking.

I say! *fans self* ...is it getting hot in here?

I think so, better take my shirt off.

Good idea, although as a sea otter I can't remove my fur :(

Yeah, but look at the plus side: you can get away with skinny dipping all the time!

True. It's not a bad life at all really, this sea otter lark.

As long as you're not a female, and it's time to mate. Actually, your avatar looks to be a female otter. I say all of that because of this: http://www.ask.com/question/how-do-sea-otters-reproduce

Edited to fix a spelling error that I can't believe I made. That's what I get for trying to do more than one thing at a time.

Edit 2 to fix a spelling error in my previous edit. I think I need a vacation.

Holy hell that is terrifying... but, considering I am neither female nor an otter, I don't think I should be concerned. Right?

And not a seal cub. Don't ask, really, just . . . don't even ask.

Added: Or maybe it was sea lion. Memory's slightly fuzzy, and I really don't want to go refreshing the details.
Last edited by KarMann on Thu May 09, 2013 9:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Thu May 09, 2013 9:57 pm UTC

slinches wrote:
jetpac wrote:And... I'm back in the present! Woohoo! Oh wow, I like what you've done with the place. It's kind of unfortunate that my workday will be over in another 10 minutes or so, and then my brother's getting married this weekend. I'm gonna fall behind again in no time. Oh welll...

It could be either very fortunate or entirely unfortunate. That just depends on your brother, his fiancee and if the reception hall has wifi. :mrgreen:

Hmm, not sure about the wifi situation, but I feel like it might be a problem if the best man was on his laptop the whole time. Wouldn't want to cause any incidents :P

thirds

Postby thirds » Thu May 09, 2013 10:02 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:And... I'm back in the present!

No one is ever actually in the exact present, only an approximation of the present. Sensor and neuron speed, conscious realizations, typing speed... everyone's always lagging a little.

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Thu May 09, 2013 10:06 pm UTC

Lyoug wrote:
Spoiler:
ucim wrote:My only experience with synesthesia: In a prior year I had sung [some piece I can no longer recall the title of] in choir. It was one of many pieces, nothing special as goes the rest of the repetoire. The following year I was in a monestary in Italy where the cubicles each had a painting on the wall, many of which were very similar and not very inspring (Jesus on the cross, gushing blood from the abdomen in a stylistic manner). There were so many of them that it seems they were the output of a beginning painting class or something. But a few of them were different, of them a few were quite good.

Awesome experience! Must have felt weird indeed, and "wow" at the same time. I've never heard about such an intense mix of senses.
ucim wrote:At the time, I did not know there was a word for it. I've since learned that it's not unheard of, though it is not all that common. It cannot be described; you just have to experience it to understand it.

As a kid, I just assumed everyone was like me (I guess many kids do that), i.e. saw colored numbers and colored vowels. I didn't ask myself about it until much later. The oldest memory I have of discussing number and letter colors is from high school (not that old, 8-10 years ago), with a friend that happened to have grapheme->color synesthesia just like me. We debated about the colors of vowels for days :P Then we went and asked other people about it, and found out most of our friends and families didn't see those colors. That's when we learned about synesthesia.
I was surprised to learn that seeing the sequence of numbers in a particular shape was also considered synesthesia, as well associating a personality to letters or numbers (I personally only feel some letters are feminine and others are masculine, not a whole personality).
Since then, a part of my getting to know someone will at some point include questions like "how do you see numbers when you count?" or "are your months arranged in any pattern?", and "what about the days of the week?". Most of the times I'll get a puzzled look; but when I come across someone who starts talking and talking... :o well I just love that, since indeed it is a feeling that cannot really be described, or quite vaguely at best. So running into someone experiencing it as well gives an instantaneous connexion :) (Well, anything in common with someone else does I guess.)

Davidy wrote:I'd give anything to have synesthia. It must provide a whole new way of looking at the world that the majority of us don't experience.

Yeah. I've always been a little jealous of people who would experience other forms of synesthesia that I can't feel, so I get what you're saying :)

After reading Davidy's mention of synesthia, I checked it out. So that explains it.
In my case I don't see colors when I read letters or numbers on the screen (that is they don't appear to me as being colored, or at least not very strongly colored), but I do associate the different characters with different colors, e.g. 1 is white, 2 is cyan-blue, 3 is orange, .. a is red (like an apple), b is blue, c is cyan, d is navy (dark), etc.

I even used that with a sudoku program that we'd found several years ago called colorSudoku, which allowed you to exchange numbers for colors. There was a default set, but I ended up changing the colors to match the color associations I already had built-in (since you could still enter the number on the keyboard and it would produce the associated color). I suppose it also helps in distinguishing the numbers when doing sudoku normally (but not enough to tell me what the number is that needs to go in that last stop, I still have to count through what else is in the row/column/box to figure it out).

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu May 09, 2013 10:07 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
pelrigg wrote:Okay, dry river bed?

Saw the shiny basalt and thought "Fossil Falls" California:
First a little Wiki quote:
"The Fossil Falls is a unique geological feature, located in the Coso Range of California in the United States. Volcanic activity in the mountain range, along with meltwater from glaciers in the nearby Sierra Nevada, played a role in the creation of the falls. They are located near Little Lake, Inyo County, California, 1.0 mi (1.6 km) off US 395 (at a red cinder cone called "Red Hill") on Cinder Road to Red Hill, with signs to Fossil Falls."
And then a U-Tube search brought this as the best video I could find. This shows what "might" be under that lava tube water and a "dry river bed" esp. when they look downstream.
Fossil Falls - Owens Valley : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 3TI-WqIjHI

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Thu May 09, 2013 10:07 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:
slinches wrote:

Hmm, not sure about the wifi situation, but I feel like it might be a problem if the best man was on his laptop the whole time. Wouldn't want to cause any incidents :P

Smartphones or small tablets can be relatively discreet, but as long as you pepper your toast with copious amounts of Time and OTT references I think your Waiting for it duties will be fulfilled.

Coincidentally, my brother just got engaged the weekend before last.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu May 09, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

What's going ONG?

What are those? Join it? The river? I don't understand :cry:

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Thu May 09, 2013 10:13 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:What's going ONG?
Spoiler:

I agree with the above comments, I'm pretty sure the river is going through a cave/tunnel.

Will be curious to see if it is man-made or natural...
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

trolleypup

Postby trolleypup » Thu May 09, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

SBN wrote:I missed a Chem exam to go see it, but it was okay as my prof. did too. (Only he flew to Winnipeg, so he actually saw it.) Where I lived/went to school we had sunshine, and a partial eclipse. so most classes went on normally, probably with most people not even noticing it.

During a recent annular eclipse I was at work supervising streetcar operations at a busy tunnel portal. Of course the subway got all messed up prior so the extent of my being able to pay attention to the eclipse was making a pinhole with my hand and looking at the projection on the side of passing streetcars in between giving the operators orders to try to fix stuff. I didn't even get a chance to tell the passengers the subway was messed up because of the sky dragon eating the sun "see..."

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Thu May 09, 2013 10:19 pm UTC

Spoiler:

It appears that they have come across a stretch of rapids. "They" could be boulders or bluffs nearby and since they've been following the river, it makes sense that is what he intends to rejoin. Although, I question the soundness of his plan. Once you start going around obstacles and out of sight of a river or stream it can be very easy to get turned around lose track of its path.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu May 09, 2013 10:19 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
Spoiler:

I agree with the above comments, I'm pretty sure the river is going through a cave/tunnel.

Will be curious to see if it is man-made or natural...

Oh hm. Me thinks me gets. But where, in relation to our view of Time, is the river? I've not the skills to do it but perhaps a new map would be useful to distinguish their new position, relative to the river and this new topography. It's still unclear what the Great Flat was (harrowing, though the crossing was,it seems uncertain if it was actually a crossing, as such).

So we are conjecturing that the river of Time now flows below the surface, through and to somewhere, and that Cueball suggests going over "those" (though we know not what they be) and hoping, perhaps even praying to the Creator of Time, the it comes out again? Or can they see it, where it emerges, and we cannot?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”