1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Earthling on Mars » Fri May 10, 2013 6:21 pm UTC

Copernicium112 wrote:Alright, as promised here is the composite updated to the newpix.
riverwalk-1239.png

They have now walked farther along the river than they did from the castles to the river.

Oh, and...

)

Just had to fix that. It was driving me crazy.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri May 10, 2013 6:23 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Why am I always a-coma when Chaos erupts on the OTT? :roll:

You must a-coma a-LOT! This thread is the "Chaos-all-the-Time!" channel on xkcdvision.

This is true, though I would argue that there is the normal chaos of the OTT, and then there is the Chaos that happens due to technical difficulties, if that makes sense. And I always seem to be away for the latter. :?

The solution seems clear to me: no more coma for you, your Blitziness... :)

How much cancerbabybaconcaffeine will we need to keep her awake forever?

Why in the world would you ever want to feed someone the strange dirt like substance called Cancerbabybaconcaffeine? People walk on it. BLEGH!

Maybe this could be a suitable substitute? Although, I'm a bit discouraged by its lack of baby and cancer.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri May 10, 2013 6:23 pm UTC

@ Copernicium112
Another great journey mash-up (are this being saved for the Great Book Of Time?). They really do help visualize the path being taken.
----

Megan might just be catching her breath/enjoying the scenery. If any of y'all have hiked up a steep incline, sometimes you need a breather.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 10, 2013 6:23 pm UTC

slinches wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

You must a-coma a-LOT! This thread is the "Chaos-all-the-Time!" channel on xkcdvision.

This is true, though I would argue that there is the normal chaos of the OTT, and then there is the Chaos that happens due to technical difficulties, if that makes sense. And I always seem to be away for the latter. :?

Why in the world would you ever want to feed someone the strange dirt like substance called Cancerbabybaconcaffeine? People walk on it. BLEGH!

Maybe this could be a suitable substitute? Although, I'm a bit discouraged by its lack of baby and cancer.

Do they make it in bacon?
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 10, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Dracomax wrote:@ Blitzgirl: Normal Caffeine? What is that?

I'm not sure, but I believe it's something like semencoffeecancerbabiesonice minus the semencancerbabiesonice.

Interesting, how do you extract out the semencancerbabiesonice? They keep catching fire when I try :/

I believe the Outside place "Starbucks" has a secret method for this.

I have heard of this place, however when I pass their processing center it smells like fire and burnt toast, so I am unsure of there success in this matter. I fear that they may not have completely removed the semencancerbabiesonice.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

Copernicium112

Postby Copernicium112 » Fri May 10, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:@ Copernicium112
Another great journey mash-up (are this being saved for the Great Book Of Time?). They really do help visualize the path being taken..

Yes, they are all saved, but not entered into the Book.

Opiboble wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

I'm not sure, but I believe it's something like semencoffeecancerbabiesonice minus the semencancerbabiesonice.

Interesting, how do you extract out the semencancerbabiesonice? They keep catching fire when I try :/

Gaseous diffusion is the most promising method. Aside from the whole Uranium thing, a great deal of the resources from the Manhattan project went to developing methods to fractionate semencoffeecancerbabies.
Crescat tempus; vita excolatur

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 10, 2013 6:27 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

I believe the Outside place "Starbucks" has a secret method for this.

I have heard of this place, however when I pass their processing center it smells like fire and burnt toast, so I am unsure of there success in this matter. I fear that they may not have completely removed the semencancerbabiesonice.

I have heard they had difficulties removing the ice. They probably just aren't admitting to the continued presence of semencancerbabies.
“have i gone mad?

bighaben

Postby bighaben » Fri May 10, 2013 6:28 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
bighaben wrote:Clearly Meagan, in her infinite foresight, is concerned about the stability of the dune, yet shows enough restraint to willingly allow her partner to succumb to his predestined rejoining of the ground, with his head, at the bottom of the dune.1

1For the lols.

Huh...

I was just thinking that this Newpix has Megan, with a slight smile, her eyelids fluttering, bending her neck so she is able to watch Cueball go down in front of her.

But maybe our minds just think differently.

I'm biased as I just want to see Cueball face plant...oh how his misfortunes are our entertainment.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 10, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
slinches wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Dracomax wrote:How much cancerbabybaconcaffeine will we need to keep her awake forever?

Caffeinatedmaplebaconlollipops might be a suitable alternative...
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 10, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
slinches wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Dracomax wrote:How much cancerbabybaconcaffeine will we need to keep her awake forever?

Caffeinatedmaplebaconlollipops might be a suitable alternative...

The existence of those makes far more sense than isolated caffeine.
“have i gone mad?

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri May 10, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

KETCHED UP!

mathrec wrote:It has been a while since I've tormented you with a puzzle! :twisted:

This one has another special message embedded. You have to solve the puzzle to find out what is special about this post. (Only this community would understand.) ;-)

I don't think I've said it yet -- Thank You, mathrec, for the honor!!! I did not solve it myself (I am terrible at sudoku), but from the solutions provided by others, it looks like it's either directly or indirectly about the work I do here on the thread. WOOT!

Would you like a hat?

HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:
DrSamCarter wrote:
mathrec wrote:It has been a while since I've tormented you with a puzzle! :twisted:

This one has another special message embedded. You have to solve the puzzle to find out what is special about this post. (Only this community would understand.) ;-)
<snipped spoilered image>

Nicely done.

Proof of answer (but not the answer (to prevent spoilering)) below
Ironically, you (or your avatar) do NOT seem to have the accoutrements of the Vatican Milliner

I move that we officially name buffygirl the Vatican Milliner. This should have happened quite some time ago.

Oh! Oh! Oh! I accept! *jumps up and down clapping like a little girl*

SBN wrote:
StratPlayer wrote: radio talk-show blowhards like <insert hated radio extremist of your personal choice here>.

Should I be worried that I read that as hatted radio extremist?

HERESY!

StratPlayer wrote:It would be confusing, if nothing else, because buffygirl only deems nice people as hat-worthy, and most extremists (regardless of which end of the political spectrum) tend not to be so nice -- I doubt if buffygirl would agree to their hatting...

Yes, exactly! What s/he said!

Dracomax wrote:Well, there was an evil hat at one point. even possessed Buffygirl. It seems likely such a hat would find it's way to extremist Radio Personalities.

I deny everything.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 10, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

slinches wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Uhh... A little afraid to click on the link given the elements that are left. Is this NSFW?
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri May 10, 2013 6:34 pm UTC

Apologies to anyone that tried to view my site and got a 503. For some reason my app pool crashed. Restarted it and I'm running again. Will check the logs tonight.

Also, sorry that the user pages are so slow. I will see what optimizations I can make there.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 10, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Apologies to anyone that tried to view my site and got a 503. For some reason my app pool crashed. Restarted it and I'm running again. Will check the logs tonight.

Also, sorry that the user pages are so slow. I will see what optimizations I can make there.

The fora servers took a dump (technical term for FUBAR'd) earlier -- your app relies on them, so your site might have suffered some collateral damage...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 10, 2013 6:43 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Caffeinatedmaplebaconlollipops might be a suitable alternative...

That looks ... horrible. :shock: Something must be wrong with the Outside if it contains such things. I'm never leaving the safe environment of the OTT anymore.

StratPlayer wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Apologies to anyone that tried to view my site and got a 503. For some reason my app pool crashed. Restarted it and I'm running again. Will check the logs tonight.

The fora servers took a dump (technical term for FUBAR'd) earlier -- your app relies on them, so your site might have suffered some collateral damage...

Either that, or Kieryn actually caused the forum downtime. And probably also caused the newpix duplication somehow. ;)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri May 10, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
slinches wrote:Maybe this could be a suitable substitute? Although, I'm a bit discouraged by its lack of baby and cancer.

Uhh... A little afraid to click on the link given the elements that are left. Is this NSFW?

That link is definitely SFW since I'm posting from W.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri May 10, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

I am not accepting new hat requests.

HQM - PhoenixRising, azule, Febrion, descor, slinches, higgs-boson
PHQMM - 4 surprise recipients.

If you have already explicitly requested a hat and I missed it, please let me know, and provide a link to your original request.

To the above named people: Please PM me with one or two sentences about yourself. I have discovered that this helps me with the creative process. Thank you.

EDIT: fixed mob list
EDIT2: Corrected number in PHQMM (from 5 to 4 - I counted one person twice)
Last edited by buffygirl on Fri May 10, 2013 7:29 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

thirds

Postby thirds » Fri May 10, 2013 6:49 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:I am not accepting new hat requests.

Can I have an old hat?

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 10, 2013 6:50 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Caffeinatedmaplebaconlollipops might be a suitable alternative...

That looks ... horrible. :shock: Something must be wrong with the Outside if it contains such things. I'm never leaving the safe environment of the OTT anymore.

This one looks (slightly) less ridiculous to me.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 10, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

StratPlayer wrote:

Either that, or Kieryn actually caused the forum downtime. And probably also caused the newpix duplication somehow. ;)

Could be! Maybe his app crashed and kept hammering the fora servers in a looping DoS attack, and it caused a quantum memory-core cascading bit-flux that rippled back to GLR's server, duplicating the existing newpix and rehashing it through a cross-modal time distortion.

It could happen...

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri May 10, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

thirds wrote:

Can I have an old hat?

NO! :evil:

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 10, 2013 6:52 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
slinches wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

It is safe, it is caffeine infused beef jerky.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 10, 2013 6:53 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:It is safe, it is caffeine infused beef jerky.

You, sir¹, have a very strange definition of ‘safe’...

¹: m/f
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 10, 2013 6:54 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
slinches wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

It is safe, it is caffeine infused beef jerky.

OK. I saw the "perky" and thought "coffee", then saw the "jerky" and was concerned that it might refer to the, uh, well, method of semen production...

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 10, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

That may be true, but I do have a "safe" word.
Spoiler:
Wait for it

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri May 10, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word safe that some of us weren't previously aware of.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Fri May 10, 2013 6:57 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

Safe:
11. a pan for catching leakage.
12. a condom.

:?
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri May 10, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

in the course of of human events sometimes it is necesary to Ong

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 10, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

Megan running. Can't end well.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

bighaben

Postby bighaben » Fri May 10, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

I think she's going to slide down the dune, hopefully taking Cueball with her. :twisted:

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 10, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

bighaben wrote:I think she's going to slide down the dune, hopefully taking Cueball with her. :twisted:

Possibly on purpose. sliding down a hill is fun.
“have i gone mad?

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri May 10, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Megan running. Can't end well.

Yes, one should not run in the hills like that. (Once long ago, I started running down a slope in the mountains, my mom said, "STOP that, now"; I walked about 50-75 feet more and looked down a 500 foot cliff)

Yes, don't get stressed out like you did the last time. (The 'hatting" is a fun time thing, not a requirement.)

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 10, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
bighaben wrote:I think she's going to slide down the dune, hopefully taking Cueball with her. :twisted:

And it's only fair. If he goes down first, she should go down, too.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri May 10, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

Good Lord Randall, there are four, count them FOUR bots browsing the forum!
Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and MSN [Bot].

Edit: Looks like I scared most of them away. But now we have Google Feedfetcher.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 10, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:Good Lord Randall, there are four, count them FOUR bots browsing the forum!

Edit: Looks like I scared most of them away. But now we have Google Feedfetcher.

I wonder what ads Google would give us based on this thread? :shock:
“have i gone mad?

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri May 10, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 10, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Good Lord Randall, there are four, count them FOUR bots browsing the forum!

Caffeinated jerky. Bacon caffeine lollipops. Bacon maple coffee. Need I go on?
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

J-Hammy

Postby J-Hammy » Fri May 10, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!

nice.
Spoiler:
buffygirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 10, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

Caffeinated jerky. Bacon caffeine lollipops. Bacon maple coffee. Need I go on?

And of course a DVD collection of Monty Python, Doctor Who, Firefly, and The Sound of Music...

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri May 10, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
mscha wrote:

StratPlayer wrote:

Could be! Maybe his app crashed and kept hammering the fora servers in a looping DoS attack, and it caused a quantum memory-core cascading bit-flux that rippled back to GLR's server, duplicating the existing newpix and rehashing it through a cross-modal time distortion.

It could happen...

Not yet .. at least from my site. I'm still on manual data updates for now. I only hit the fora servers once a day or so, when I'm home1, and only the past 50 NP's or so.

1[Heresy]After 8pm Eastern2[/Heresy]
2How do you say that in newpix3?
3I guess it would be something like 24 <= (np mod 24) > 20
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”