1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

fhorn

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby fhorn » Fri May 17, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

Does the OTT even have Blitzers anymore? Are they an endangered, molpy-like species, having stuck their heads out of the ground and then burrowed away???
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Fri May 17, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

I wrote:I was also confused, but it was by the "bacon" reference. Who puts bacon on a bun or roll as the primary ingredient? I would have said hamburgers...

fhorn wrote:
RobIrr wrote:What do people call the slightly squashed spheres of bread that are traditionally choped in half horizontally so that bacon1 can be placed within?1 - other fillings are available

My father-in-law, when he lived in the UK, would talk about having "bacon butties" after church. Since I had never heard of butties, I thought he was saying bacon buddies, like a bunch of friends were getting together and having breakfast...

Following up on "bacon butty" opened me up to a world I had not seen before. Apparently most of the "English"-speaking world (outside of North America) puts bacon on a bun or roll as the primary ingredient.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri May 17, 2013 8:24 pm UTC

fatness wrote:ThreeferONG

They should.

And ruin the emptiness.
Another Eagles song - call somewhere paradise, kiss it goodbye
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 17, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

Wow, the panorama is awfulesome, azule! You're right, that flat bit does look odd compared to the other terrain.

fhorn wrote:BlitzGirl, once again you've woven commen sense and beautiful imagery into an inclusionary, unifying, supportive declaration. Good on you. The OTT is richer for your calm wisdom.

Thanks! :)
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri May 17, 2013 8:26 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Um, the river is 1, not 3. the tree is3

1Small
2big
3neat.

The second river was neat, remember? Well, pretty neat.

Edited to say: And I was ninja'd a few pages back. Y'all have been posting a lot while my back is turned! When did we get to page 651?
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Fri May 17, 2013 8:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 17, 2013 8:27 pm UTC

I think they should make a house, it would be another industrial age, the question is were would they get there building material, there are not that many trees... at least that we have seen.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri May 17, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:
I wrote:I was also confused, but it was by the "bacon" reference. Who puts bacon on a bun or roll as the primary ingredient? I would have said hamburgers...

fhorn wrote:
RobIrr wrote:What do people call the slightly squashed spheres of bread that are traditionally choped in half horizontally so that bacon1 can be placed within?1 - other fillings are available

My father-in-law, when he lived in the UK, would talk about having "bacon butties" after church. Since I had never heard of butties, I thought he was saying bacon buddies, like a bunch of friends were getting together and having breakfast...

Following up on "bacon butty" opened me up to a world I had not seen before. Apparently most of the "English"-speaking world (outside of North America) puts bacon on a bun or roll as the primary ingredient.

Which is weird, because we put bacon on so many things that don't need bacon. (I will admit to having had one of the bacon desserts at Denny's, and it is pretty amazing.)
But bacon, wrapped in bacon with a side of bacon seems to be a pretty common theme at some restaurants.
Of course, it may not be the same bacon being the main ingredient outside of the US. What we call Canadian bacon would be more suitable for that.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

foilman

Postby foilman » Fri May 17, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

But if they stop here now they'll never find out why the sea is rising...

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 17, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Um, the river is 1, not 3. the tree is3

1Small
2big
3neat.

The second river was neat, remember? Well, pretty neat.

Edited to say: And I was ninja'd a few pages back. Y'all have been posting a lot while my back is turned! When did we get to page 651?

Last Tuesday, were have you been?
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri May 17, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
mathrec wrote:

fhorn wrote:

Which is weird, because we put bacon on so many things that don't need bacon. (I will admit to having had one of the bacon desserts at Denny's, and it is pretty amazing.)
But bacon, wrapped in bacon with a side of bacon seems to be a pretty common theme at some restaurants.
Of course, it may not be the same bacon being the main ingredient outside of the US. What we call Canadian bacon would be more suitable for that.

A balm cake (or barmcake) with 2 or 3 slices of well fried lean flitch, cut on number 4. Perfect palate preparation for a strong black coffee.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

thirds

Postby thirds » Fri May 17, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

Did they forget they just passed a campsite a few hundred yards away? It's not like the place is totally untouched and unvisited by people.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 17, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

Baconcoffee? You're missing a couple of elements there...

I'm still curious as to where Cuegan got their building materials the first time, since they seemed perfectly fine with using plenty to build the Observed Post only to abandon it later. IKEA is cheap, but I don't know if I would use it to enhance a Sandcastle.3405

3405Though I have enhanced the molpy with the aid of my IKEA desk.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri May 17, 2013 8:36 pm UTC

Small remark I hope some people see, and hope other people ignore: The only posts I've ever skipped in the entirety of the OTT, since newpage #1, are the recent ones arguing about whether people should blitz, not blitz, single spoiler, multi-spoiler, blah blah blah. Those posts, I skim quickly. I read every ketchup and every blitz and every other post. So what do you think about that?

BlitzGirl wrote:Click and Drag, anybody?

I've been Waiting for this moment to happen! Pure excitement. Can't wait for the next newpix!

mathrec wrote:

fhorn wrote:

Just like StratPlayer said, the bacon part threw me off a bit, too. I would have said Hamburger, being from NA, since that's the primary ingredient inside those horizontally divided round yeast breads. I had no idea people used bacon as a main ingredient unless they were eating a BLT. New things. Every day.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri May 17, 2013 8:38 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:The wording in the newpix bothers me.

"We haven't been seen by any people yet."
vs.
"We haven't seen any people yet."

It seems weird to me too; not just because it's strange to be surprised about people not seeing you rather than not having seen them, and it implies we can't see them but they can see us, but also because a more natural way to phrase that would be 'nobody has seen us yet'.

It could be that they expect other people to be high up on the hills, where they would have a good view of Cuegan and would go to them if they saw them, but Cuegan can't see them.

StratPlayer wrote:Although if La Petite is a molpy, we might have to change her name -- she's HUGE compared to a molpy! "Le Molpy Grande"?

FWIW, in Outside French that would be either le grand molpy (masculine) or la grande molpy (feminine.)

While we're talking about things whose words vary a lot between countries, what do you call the clothes made for swimming in? (I think 'swimsuit' is the most internationally-understood word; that's what I say if I manage to catch myself before saying something nobody will understand.) In NZ it's 'swimming togs' or just 'togs'. Elsewhere, I've heard bathers, swimmers, cossies, trunks, swimming costume, and probably some others.

SBN wrote:That and the local insistence on naming roads for what was on them once. So the store is on School Road. Of course, they also name schools for the roads they are on, so we have "School Road School" now.
I've heard a comedian talk about a Bridge Street Bridge.

All this discussion of how much to post reminds me of the 'you are traffic' thing.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Fri May 17, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

SBN wrote:Which is weird, because we put bacon on so many things that don't need bacon. (I will admit to having had one of the bacon desserts at Denny's, and it is pretty amazing.)

I once had a three-bacon-meal day, again at my father-in-law's, this time in Montana: bacon with breakfast, bacon cheeseburgers at lunch, and then someone brought a casserole with big chunks of crumbled bacon on top for dinner.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Fri May 17, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:...I'm still curious as to where Cuegan got their building materials the first time, since they seemed perfectly fine with using plenty to build the Observed Post only to abandon it later. IKEA is cheap, but I don't know if I would use it to enhance a Sandcastle.3405

3405Though I have enhanced the molpy with the aid of my IKEA desk.

I think the IKEA is too far away to haul their building materials...unless they have a wheel-barrel.
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 17, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:The wording in the newpix bothers me.

"We haven't been seen by any people yet."
vs.
"We haven't seen any people yet."

It seems weird to me too; not just because it's strange to be surprised about people not seeing you rather than not having seen them, and it implies we can't see them but they can see us, but also because a more natural way to phrase that would be 'nobody has seen us yet'.

It could be that they expect other people to be high up on the hills, where they would have a good view of Cuegan and would go to them if they saw them, but Cuegan can't see them. <snip>

Well, they haven't been seen by people (as far as they know), but they have been seen by the sparrow-raptor and the molpy.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Swein

Postby Swein » Fri May 17, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:If Cuegan decides to settle down in Molpyland and get all domestic on us, I hope we get a scene change back to LaPetite.

Nah - well, it would be nice - I'm all for LaPetite, but depending on how they spend their time it could be all from :roll: to :oops: or :shock:
Last edited by Swein on Fri May 17, 2013 8:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri May 17, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:While we're talking about things whose words vary a lot between countries, what do you call the clothes made for swimming in? (I think 'swimsuit' is the most internationally-understood word; that's what I say if I manage to catch myself before saying something nobody will understand.) In NZ it's 'swimming togs' or just 'togs'. Elsewhere, I've heard bathers, swimmers, cossies, trunks, swimming costume, and probably some others.

Bathing Suit. Or swimsuit. If you're referring to a male swimsuit: swim trunks. I've never heard of any of the others. :P

small note: never heard the word flitch before Exodies said it up there, either.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri May 17, 2013 8:42 pm UTC

ucim wrote:In nomine unum verum auctorum, ego dicae cupcacceo yummiorem.
Tam bonae quid esse, Valarya meibe makimorum

Jose

:lol:

iisjreg wrote:
chuky-time.png

(the white background doesn't really work :( )

Nice! I think I remember that game, but I can't remember what it was called.

mscha wrote:
Ebonite wrote:Another fun thing he did in the class was show pictures of common objects (such as the wheelbarrow) and ask students to write down what they were called. Some of them included:
- a bottle containing a carbonated beverage
- the valve-like device attached to the side of your house that you might attach a garden hose to
- a paper container that the grocery store puts your purchases into so you can carry them out

For the record:
- “frisdank”, or simply “fris”
- “kraan”
- “zak”

Thanks for sharing. Welcome to Earth!*

*ETE (Edited to explain): I thought mscha was being funny, so I was being funny, but he was speaking Dutch and I was being clueless. Move along, nothing to see here.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Sat May 18, 2013 1:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri May 17, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

Looking closer at the two birds, especially in BlitzGirl's animation, I am convinced that none of them turned into rabbits. They both just flew off, and happened to be caught by the "camera" in a flight position whose silhouette looks like a rabbit.

I wonder how the thread's post volume (total text and original text) breaks down in the categories of:
current posts, condiment posts, and true BlitzPosts (from time travelers who have forsaken the present)S Though condiment posts tend to be longer, for example, there are fewer of them. And BlitzPosts from true time travelers tend to be rather rare, and not actually very long either. I wonder if any of the bots are up to the task yet.

StratPlayer wrote:Kind of depends on your perspective. If you're doing something you either do or don't want people to notice (a stage play, trespassing, streaking, flashing, etc) you tend to focus on what might happen if others see you. Makes me wonder what Megball are really up to???
Well, they went off to try to "fix" the riverB. Perhaps they suspect that whatever "broke" the riverN wants it to stay broken. Perhaps it's an army of LaPetitses?

StratPlayer wrote:Given the way they've been wandering and walking, it's entirely possible that they are indeed lost.
Maybe they'll run into the First Cleric?

StratPlayer wrote:Nowdays, who asks for directions anyways?
I've asked for directions. Their first question was "Do you have a GPS?" Not "Don't you have a GPS", but "Do you...". Go figure.

Ebonite wrote: Maybe he's just trying to remind everyone (1) there was a third character that showed up a long time ago
That would prove he is not following the OTT.

Jose
B Small
N Still small
S Neat
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 17, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

thirds wrote:Did they forget they just passed a campsite a few hundred yards away? It's not like the place is totally untouched and unvisited by people.

That is part of the point, they are planning on setting up a trading post. It is along a slow moving river2 so cargo can come down and up the river, and there are signs that people have come by on foot, perfect place for a trading post.

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Fri May 17, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

*sneeze*

Shit.

Ah well...
Congratz BlitzGirl BlitzRandir!
Godspeed to all the OTT travelers! I am one of you now!

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)
- The Croissant Man (or Period Guy, whatevs)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 17, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

Swein wrote:Nah - well, it would be nice I'm all for LaPetite, but depending on how they spend their time it could be all from :roll: to :oops: or :shock:

You mean, Cuegan might try for some little Cueganbabies? I think we did see that:

cmyk, newpage 258 wrote:
Spoiler:
Holy shit. I uncovered the ending frames...

cmyk! Where could he be?
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lgw

Postby lgw » Fri May 17, 2013 8:46 pm UTC

Micro-ketchup!

General note: more space has now been wasted arguing over what to do about ketchupers possibly provoking arguments than all actual argument provoked by ketchupers. :lol: Food for thought (with ketchup).

Dracomax wrote:In other news, Why is Cueball more worried about being seen by other people, and not seeing other peopel? Something seems off here. is it illegal to try and understand everything in Megball world?

I see it more as: people are tribal, and moving across another tribe's territory (where you'll always be seen by the locals before you see the locals) will leads to some sort of tense confrontation.

fatness wrote:
SBN wrote:That's better than what I get. "We live beyond the Smith place." Simple enough, until you realize that the Smith place was built 150 years ago, and no Smith has lived in it in 100 years. Makes it really hard for a newcomer to figure out where stuff is.

I travel around the USA quite a bit and once was treated to driving directions which included "turn left where the big white barn used to be". :shock:

This is actually a running gag in my PnP RPG:
Human peasant: "turn left where the barn used to be"
Orc peasant: "turn left where we burned down that barn"
Kobold worker: "turn left where my brother was trapped in that barn fire"

It's had quite a few iterations now that I think about it.

Ebonite wrote:Another fun thing he did in the class was show pictures of common objects (such as the wheelbarrow) and ask students to write down what they were called. Some of them included:
- the valve-like device attached to the side of your house that you might attach a garden hose to

Oddly enough, my family never used a word for that. We might say "screw in the hose" or "turn on the water", but the valve-like device was never named. It's quite strange, looking back.
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 17, 2013 8:54 pm UTC

Same, lgw. I've spent the last few newpages trying to remember what we called that thingamabob, and I don't think we actually called it anything. It was always, "turn on the water."

All right, off to coma a bit.
Come, my molpys! We shall see the Thread upon the morrow (or perhaps sooner, my coma schedule is wonky right now).
Spoiler:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Fri May 17, 2013 8:54 pm UTC

ucim wrote:B Small
N Still small
S Neat

What... what have you done...

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 17, 2013 8:54 pm UTC

azule wrote:So, woah, this Panorama strained my system, or the PNG format, or me. Yeah, definitely me. j/k. Seriously though, I could only get it to display at 100% or more. :?

This should be the whole leg from the last turn to the current river. It is 33133x839 pixels.

Of note, is that the abnormally flat section about rd distance back, is exactly the same elevation as the current river. Exactly.
Maybe that stretch was some kind of shore. Or it was a marsh. I don't know these things.

⁴!

Now how about an movie?
Spoiler:
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri May 17, 2013 8:54 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Spoiler:
Angelastic wrote:
Opiboble wrote:My only issue with blitzing is when people bring up an argument/question that was resolved 3 posts after the quote they take, example being the Lego/Lego's thing

I agree with your issue in general, but I don't think that's a good example. I believe it was my post that unexpectedly got the Lego discussion going at full steam again, but I can assure you I read all the way up to the present time before posting that (I do not blindpost) and it still seemed like an open topic that I could (usefully?) add my voice to. Okay, maybe not so usefully, since IIRC it was more of a 'me too', but it did still seem like an open topic, from the recent-enough past that I got to it during normal post-coma/Outside tomato sauce. Given all the discussion that followed, I'd say it was not resolved.

Edit: Woohoo! Holy Helmentmonger's Highest Habitué!

Your post wasn't a problem, but I saw plenty of people who would post form 3-5NP back when the same subject was much farther along, and they were posting the same thing as other people who had posted from that far back.

But either way this flame is dragging on farther then I was wanting. In conclusion I wanted to make the point to people blitzing from a night of coma to read ahead, be mindful of were you are blind posting from as to minimize a repeat of things that have already been mentioned by someone ahead of you.

I just want to point out that the ongoing discussion of blitz and ketchup posts probably takes more time to read than the actual blitz and ketchup posts. So, if the idea was to make the thread easier to get through, I think it's counterproductive.

I see in my preview window that lgw has just said pretty much the exact same thing, but I'm going ahead with this post so that I can add my thoughts.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri May 17, 2013 8:57 pm UTC

If this turns into some crazy slow build up to an intergalactic space turf-war... well, I guess I'll just have to...
Spoiler:
wait for it.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 17, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

Silence is GONG...
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Swein

Postby Swein » Fri May 17, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
azule wrote:So, woah, this Panorama strained my system, or the PNG format, or me. Yeah, definitely me. j/k. Seriously though, I could only get it to display at 100% or more. :?

This should be the whole leg from the last turn to the current river. It is 33133x839 pixels.

Of note, is that the abnormally flat section about rd distance back, is exactly the same elevation as the current river. Exactly.
Maybe that stretch was some kind of shore. Or it was a marsh. I don't know these things.

⁴!

Now how about an movie?
Spoiler:

Yay! Movie time! Bring out the popcorn!
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri May 17, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

Lovely words from BlitzGirl and StratPlayer. Thank you!

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
That's a side effect of reading the OTT about the OTC (currently featuring Cuegan drinking from the dilgunnerang). Even the molpy-minded adapt faster than a sparrow-raptor, absorbing new terms every newpix, whether it's from a discussion read while ketchup blitzing the pastposts, a sigcouragement response, or from the most recent B/D/G ONG. (Birds-that-we-don't-wish-to-call-birds-but-maybe-boobies-will-be-okay, anyone?) I wonder if the OTA, GLR, had any idea what would happen when he unleashed this marvel upon Outside minds, who now scan semencoffeebaconcancerbabiesonice for any sign of heretical mustard, compare the heights of creatures in centicues, keep the OTW updated and give each other Present Presents. Whether we be Amoebaeists or Loopists, Temporal Illuminati or Timewaiters, PFANPs or Mopey Molpy Momes, Trekers or thread-dwellers living in the Now, we know how to take any Madness that infects this needle-pulled thing in stride as we Wait for it together.

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
TimeLurker wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Yes, we already know about the Javascript.

In that case I'll continue to Wait for It.

~TimeLurker
Voice of the Silent

Waiting for it is all any of us do regardless of how jokingly flippant we may become. But you need not wait in solitude, nor in silence. Post as often as you'd like.

The only guideline I might offer is that all ideas are welcome as long as presented without arrogance or confrontation (whether long-time poster of first-time visitor). We've teetered on the brink a few times, but have yet to engage in a flame-war in all our long run of this Thread (true, the discussion over "who should post and how should they post" debate is admittedly our weakest area, but even so, we've managed to keep the conversation mostly civil on even this topic).

So you and all lurkers are of course very welcome to join us!

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

htom

Postby htom » Fri May 17, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:I think they should make a house, it would be another industrial age, the question is were would they get there building material, there are not that many trees... at least that we have seen.

Sod house. No, I didn't grow up in one. :wink:

Traditional five act structure has introduction, establishment, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution, dispersion (different people teaching the class make different distinctions, and especially the words used to describe them.) Prolog and epilog may or may not be included. This (the OTC) is really looking like a Quest, which can be done in that five act structure.
The Castle building was the introduction/ prolog, we meet the protagonists, and The Fade would correspond to what in a film now is the main title.
Act 1. The confusion. What's the problem, what's going on? Here, off they go to explore the world, stop the rising of the sea.
Act 2. The complication. The hero (nominally) thinks he understands, and then discovers that he does not, the simple solution will not work. I think we're coming to this, the various flora and fauna, the other peoples ... the world is complex and complicated.
Act 3. The climax. Things fall apart.
Act 4. If it's a tragedy, the collapse as the plans fall apart; if it's a comedy, the contrition and acceptance.
Act 5. Tragic carnage or deaths, or comedic celebration.
Epilog, if needed.
:twirls borrowed dramaturge cape and puts it away:

Bacon. Bacon is good.

I will continue to read ketchup and blitzer postings, but I will probably not read people posts complaining about those posts.
Last edited by htom on Fri May 17, 2013 9:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 17, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

htom wrote:
Opiboble wrote:I think they should make a house, it would be another industrial age, the question is were would they get there building material, there are not that many trees... at least that we have seen.

Sod house. No, I didn't grow up in one. :wink:

Spoiler:
Traditional five act structure has introduction, establishment, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution, dispersion (different people teaching the class make different distinctions, and especially the words used to describe them.) Prolog and epilog may or may not be included. This (the OTC) is really looking like a Quest, which can be done in that five act structure.
The Castle building was the introduction/ prolog, we meet the protagonists, and The Fade would correspond to what in a film now is the main title.
Act 1. The confusion. What's the problem, what's going on? Here, off they go to explore the world, stop the rising of the sea.
Act 2. The complication. The hero (nominally) thinks he understands, and then discovers that he does not, the simple solution will not work. I think we're coming to this, the various flora and fauna, the other peoples ... the world is complex and complicated.
Act 3. The climax. Things fall apart.
Act 4. If it's a tragedy, the collapse as the plans fall apart; if it's a comedy, the contrition and acceptance.
Act 5. Tragic carnage or deaths, or comedic celebration.
Epilog, if needed.
:twirls borrowed dramaturge cape and puts it away:

Bacon. Bacon is good.

I will continue to read ketchup and blitzer postings, but I will probably not read people complaining about those posts.

Yeah a sod house would work, but it wont attract many customers if they are building there for trade purposes.

fatness

Postby fatness » Fri May 17, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:Yeah a sod house would work, but it wont attract many customers if they are building there for trade purposes.

When a pack of crazed Molpy (Molpi?) are chasing you, any house on the prairie will do.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 17, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

fatness wrote:
Opiboble wrote:Yeah a sod house would work, but it wont attract many customers if they are building there for trade purposes.

When a pack of crazed Molpy (Molpi?) are chasing you, any house on the prairie will do.

But aren't they part mole? It is made of dirt, it isn't going to do much for them.

Also news from the Outside: It is snowing... Really Anchorage, make up your mind on the weather!

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Fri May 17, 2013 9:34 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Now how about an movie?
Spoiler:

Nice! But now sea1sick.
1big

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri May 17, 2013 9:42 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
SBN wrote:
mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I don't think Cuegan can be that lost; they seem to have been following the Riverfootnote.

footnoteI can't remember what number the "pretty neat" footer is supposed to be.

That's a bit annoying, we now have competing footnote standards. Could be ³, could be ⁵, depending on which standard you're following. :?
Edit: of course, this is how we fix that. ;)

Finally, the footnotes are meeting the OTT standard of multiple, confusing standards.

Good. Good. It is happening as planned.

I think we can create one encompassing standard based on the three incompatible ones.
We simply prefix each footnote with (o) for Opibole's standard, (a) for airdrik's, and (m) for mine. (m)3, huh?

And then there were four...

This is starting to remind me of that ST:TNG episode where an entire planet spoke only in historical allusions used as metaphors for current events. In a hundred NP or so, you and Opiboble and SBN will be able to carry on entire OTT conversations just with footnote markings.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Fri May 17, 2013 9:44 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:

fhorn wrote:

Indeed. What else would you use it for?

Now... Bacon, cheese and (fried) mushrooms (but mainly bacon) with HP Sauce on a cheese-topped roll.. (Ketchup for Mrs RobIrr) Delicious, but probably very un-good for me.,,
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”