1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
fatness
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:05 am UTC
Location: Sometime last week

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby fatness » Sun May 19, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:BurpONG?


More of a Ribbit.

User avatar
partingLance
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:49 pm UTC
Location: never off the boat

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby partingLance » Sun May 19, 2013 4:09 pm UTC

Quick BlitzPost (from NP 575 of 662):

Only when Cueball and Megan started encountering vegetation did I start to think of Paul Salopek's Out of Eden Walk.

(Something else I'm behind on. Well, forward on two fronts).
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun May 19, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

astrocub wrote:Warning: The following post contains an annoying flashy animated gif that may or may not induce seizures.
Proceed at your own risk!

Randall help me, I am so sorry about this.

I haven't been able to sleep for days. This image has been haunting my mind everywhere I go. I must finish what I started.

Warning: Do not open the following spoiler if you have any history of seizures, epilepsy, migraines, brain-eating amoebi, double-dactyl dyslexia, semencancerbabies, swollen footnotes, sudden appearance of molpyflowers, or if you are taking any AEDs or MAOIs MAOIi .
Spoiler:
megballucinate.gif


Please do not quote this image without including clearly labeled warnings and spoiler tags. Talk to your doctor today to see if Semencoffeecancermustardbabiesonice® is right for you!

Edited to fix framerate. It seems to play slower in FF than chrome for me?
I'm just going to go sit and stare at the wall for a few hours now...


That is absolutely terrifying yet absolutely enthralling. It unsettles me like no other gif I've seen, yet I can't stop watching it...

Sciscitor wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Introducing... Now with fancy pocketwatch graphics! And 16 subdivisions instead of outsider 12!

I like the new design a lot. What I do not quite get are the 16 subdivisions. Wouldn't be 10 more appropriate (maybe with half ticks between them)?


Sense? When were we ever concerned with sense? :)

I tried out 16 because it means there's 3 subdivisions between each cardinal subdivision. It looks nicer, but arguably is less useful (unless you split your newpix into 64 sexagintiquadrinewpix, in which case each tick mark is four of those). Perhaps I'll try 10 on the next iteration.
Image

User avatar
Angelastic
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:36 am UTC
Location: .at (let's see what's through here!)
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Angelastic » Sun May 19, 2013 4:27 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:I tried out 16 because it means there's 3 subdivisions between each cardinal subdivision. It looks nicer, but arguably is less useful (unless you split your newpix into 64 sexagintiquadrinewpix, in which case each tick mark is four of those). Perhaps I'll try 10 on the next iteration.

If there are cardinal subdivisions, is there also a pope subdivision, and maybe knight subdivisions (I suppose the whole thing is divided into day and knight, really) and an archdeacon subdivision?
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

User avatar
Valarya
Posts: 975
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 pm UTC
Location: Nashville

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Valarya » Sun May 19, 2013 4:37 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:Beware: heresy below.

Spoiler:
descor wrote:Don't make the mistake of thinking you have to have something to say in order to post in this thread. :mrgreen:


Well, that's a relief! :mrgreen:

Image.


Image

This is so fantastic, Vytron! I wish every Ketchup were done in comic form. It's so neat to see things we were talking about tons of newpages ago done that way. More more! :D
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Image

User avatar
astrocub
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby astrocub » Sun May 19, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

fatness wrote:
astrocub wrote:I'm just going to go sit and stare at the wall for a few hours now...

Made even more surreal here by REM's "Leave" coming up on the ol' Victrola at about the same time I clicked the button and synchronizing with the animation.

My left eye won't stop twitching.


Interesting choice, I was going with "After Hours" by Caribou:
Caribou wrote:And you and I will follow down the street
And when the rivers# end into the sea#
While I remember what you mean to me
And you and I, a spiral spinning round
And standing in a circle on the ground
I'll follow you until you wear me out
And in your summer and in the air
Have you forgotten how you got us here?


ETA video link
Last edited by astrocub on Wed May 22, 2013 1:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kieryn
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:40 pm UTC
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Sun May 19, 2013 4:45 pm UTC

What do we reckon are the chances of a large animal in the next few newpix? Say a dear or such like?
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Sun May 19, 2013 4:47 pm UTC

I went to Salem, MA yesterday, and I found this:
DSCF0137.JPG

I guess I should have bought that.

Kieryn wrote:What do we reckon are the chances of a large animal in the next few newpix? Say a dear or such like?

Oh, my deer...
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6860
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Sun May 19, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

Tappety typety
jjjdavidson
wanted some poetry
fit for a nerd.

Start with some nonsense but
stick to the rhythm and
end with a sesqueped-
alean word.

Incubus thinkubus -
Such a response from us!
Not to be bested we
all joined the herd.

Neologistical
entries were flying and
soon there were prizes and
honors conferred.

waltzity schmaltzity
More like a jig, I see.
Write it with care to a-
void much disdain...

...about lexical choices. It
isn't sufficient to
polysyllabicate
something that's plain.

clickety clackety
Once on the track any
rhythmic distrubance can
derail the train.

What a calamety
That would be if somehow
things got a little
messed up. It would
all go down the drain.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2234
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Sun May 19, 2013 5:04 pm UTC

Image
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

freezer
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:19 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby freezer » Sun May 19, 2013 5:04 pm UTC

freezer wrote:We'll be zooming out all through the day.
Tomorrow, we will zoom-in on another part of the beach, where Cueball is just starting to work on a brand new sand castle. He'll be building it for at least 2-3 days. Then another zoom-out.
Next week: nightfall. The comic will be pitch black for the whole week.
Mid-April: Cueball and Megan wake up by the sand castles and start fixing up damage caused by a bunch of coyotes.
May: a mosquito bites Cueball and he screams. More sand castles. Megan goes to the bathroom.
2014: zoom in to a spot near one of the sand castles where a plant starts to bloom.
2017: the plant is now a huge tree, Cueball and Megan die from dehydration.
2035: xkcd servers go down due to a mysterious accident and we never get to see the ending.


That's what I said in March. Was I right so far?

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 19, 2013 5:08 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:Dear Thread,
I have loved you for a very, very long Time, but never more than these last 5 or 6 NewPages or so.
your friend,
fhorn

Indeed. I've been enjoying this thread more and more.
Spoiler:
u guise r gweat
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
Platonix
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Platonix » Sun May 19, 2013 5:13 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Spoiler:
Tappety typety
jjjdavidson
wanted some poetry
fit for a nerd.

Start with some nonsense but
stick to the rhythm and
end with a sesqueped-
alean word.

Incubus thinkubus -
Such a response from us!
Not to be bested we
all joined the herd.

Neologistical
entries were flying and
soon there were prizes and
honors conferred.

waltzity schmaltzity
More like a jig, I see.
Write it with care to a-
void much disdain...

...about lexical choices. It
isn't sufficient to
polysyllabicate
something that's plain.

clickety clackety
Once on the track any
rhythmic distrubance can
derail the train.

What a calamety
That would be if somehow
things got a little
messed up. It would
all go down the drain.

Jose

Painfully, maimfully
ucim has taken a
hammer to my frontal
cortex, I fear.

How could you callously
place that disgustingly,
meter-destroyingly
awful thing here?
Last edited by Platonix on Sun May 19, 2013 5:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6905
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Sun May 19, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

Spoilered for your sanity:
ucim wrote:
Spoiler:
Tappety typety
jjjdavidson
wanted some poetry
fit for a nerd.

Start with some nonsense but
stick to the rhythm and
end with a sesqueped-
alean word.

Incubus thinkubus -
Such a response from us!
Not to be bested we
all joined the herd.

Neologistical
entries were flying and
soon there were prizes and
honors conferred.

waltzity schmaltzity
More like a jig, I see.
Write it with care to a-
void much disdain...

...about lexical choices. It
isn't sufficient to
polysyllabicate
something that's plain.

clickety clackety
Once on the track any
rhythmic distrubance can
derail the train.

What a calamety
That would be if somehow
things got a little
messed up. It would
all go down the drain.

Jose

Ouch, my head! That hurts more than astrocub's animated hell! Image

Edit: ninja'd, much more elegantly, by Platonix. At least it's not just me. Image
Last edited by mscha on Sun May 19, 2013 5:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
htom
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:13 am UTC
Location: Twin Cities, MN, USA

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby htom » Sun May 19, 2013 5:17 pm UTC

freezer wrote:
freezer wrote:We'll be zooming out all through the day.
Tomorrow, we will zoom-in on another part of the beach, where Cueball is just starting to work on a brand new sand castle. He'll be building it for at least 2-3 days. Then another zoom-out.
Next week: nightfall. The comic will be pitch black for the whole week.
Mid-April: Cueball and Megan wake up by the sand castles and start fixing up damage caused by a bunch of coyotes.
May: a mosquito bites Cueball and he screams. More sand castles. Megan goes to the bathroom.
2014: zoom in to a spot near one of the sand castles where a plant starts to bloom.
2017: the plant is now a huge tree, Cueball and Megan die from dehydration.
2035: xkcd servers go down due to a mysterious accident and we never get to see the ending.


That's what I said in March. Was I right so far?


Pretty much not, unless you want to count two weeks as at least 2-3 days. Details in the links below.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

User avatar
trolleypup
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:34 pm UTC
Location: SF, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby trolleypup » Sun May 19, 2013 5:18 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Angelastic wrote:Was it the paragraph used in the speech accent archive?
speech accent archive wrote:Please call Stella. Ask her to bring these things with her from the store: Six spoons of fresh snow peas, five thick slabs of blue cheese, and maybe a snack for her brother Bob. We also need a small plastic snake and a big toy frog for the kids. She can scoop these things into three red bags, and we will go meet her Wednesday at the train station.


Wow, speaking that out loud made me extremely conscious of my accent. :shock:

Might get some weird looks from those around also.
My daughter got put into speech therapy by the local school, until I figured out that the problem they were trying to solve was her lack of southern accent. Time installed it pretty well all on its own. Oddly, my younger daughter has less of an accent, unless she attempts to answer, 'Where are you from?'

Interesting...when reading out loud, I default to mimicking a favorite author...who has an accent nothing at all like mine.

I grew up in the South, but not of it...I never picked up the accent...can't even fake it. However, it took me 30 days to pick up an English accent, and a couple years to lose it.

User avatar
J L
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:03 am UTC
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby J L » Sun May 19, 2013 5:36 pm UTC

Maybe I'm not the first to notice, but it just struck me that there are by far more frames of "Time" now than 'regular' xkcd strips. I think that's remarkable.

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 19, 2013 5:40 pm UTC

J L wrote:Maybe I'm not the first to notice, but it just struck me that there are by far more frames of "Time" now than 'regular' xkcd strips. I think that's remarkable.

You're not the first one, but it is worth pointing out again, since Time now outnumbers the rest of xkcd by almost 200 strips.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6905
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Sun May 19, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

UNCONGEALS...
Image

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
ergman
Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:24 am UTC
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ergman » Sun May 19, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

mscha wrote:UNCONGEALS...
Image

-- posted by newpixbot

Considering it's all related, we should be trying to derive some connection between newpixbot's dongs and the comic it dongs for
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

User avatar
Swein
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:11 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Swein » Sun May 19, 2013 6:16 pm UTC

freezer wrote:
freezer wrote:We'll be zooming out all through the day.
Tomorrow, we will zoom-in on another part of the beach, where Cueball is just starting to work on a brand new sand castle. He'll be building it for at least 2-3 days. Then another zoom-out.
Next week: nightfall. The comic will be pitch black for the whole week.
Mid-April: Cueball and Megan wake up by the sand castles and start fixing up damage caused by a bunch of coyotes.
May: a mosquito bites Cueball and he screams. More sand castles. Megan goes to the bathroom.
2014: zoom in to a spot near one of the sand castles where a plant starts to bloom.
2017: the plant is now a huge tree, Cueball and Megan die from dehydration.
2035: xkcd servers go down due to a mysterious accident and we never get to see the ending.


That's what I said in March. Was I right so far?


Lovely prediction, freezer! Unfortunately no nights in sight. I would have liked them. Imagine eyes glowing in the dark!
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6905
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Sun May 19, 2013 6:20 pm UTC

ergman wrote:
newpixbot wrote:UNCONGEALS...
Spoiler:
Image

-- posted by newpixbot

Considering it's all related, we should be trying to derive some connection between newpixbot's dongs and the comic it dongs for

It must be a warning to Cuegan that the ground in the next scene is uncongealing (i.e. turning into quicksand) and that they'll start sinking in the next frame, if they continue on.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
jjjdavidson
Posts: 652
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:40 pm UTC
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun May 19, 2013 6:23 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
J L wrote:Maybe I'm not the first to notice, but it just struck me that there are by far more frames of "Time" now than 'regular' xkcd strips. I think that's remarkable.

You're not the first one, but it is worth pointing out again, since Time now outnumbers the rest of xkcd by almost 200 strips.

─and shows no sign of ending. In fact, progress is retrograde; we seem to be farther from the end than four wips back, before la Petite or "I'll get some bags," or "bye."
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6905
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Sun May 19, 2013 6:37 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
J L wrote:Maybe I'm not the first to notice, but it just struck me that there are by far more frames of "Time" now than 'regular' xkcd strips. I think that's remarkable.

You're not the first one, but it is worth pointing out again, since Time now outnumbers the rest of xkcd by almost 200 strips.

Except that that's comparing apples and oranges. If you compare the number of TIme-frames with the number of frames in all other xkcd comics (including Click and Drag and Umwelt), we're probably still behind.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
Davidy
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:18 am UTC

Wait...

Postby Davidy » Sun May 19, 2013 6:48 pm UTC

...for it.

Image
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

User avatar
spamjam
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:06 pm UTC
Location: greenlake seawash

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby spamjam » Sun May 19, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

SQUIGGLYTHINGONG
Image
spermkite

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6905
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Sun May 19, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

What is that thing??
Image

Edit: never mind, my monitor was dirty, it's gone now. ;)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
jjjdavidson
Posts: 652
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:40 pm UTC
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Re: Wait...

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun May 19, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

Davidy wrote:...for it.
Image
Image

Edited 05/30/2013 for broken image link.

mscha wrote:What is that thing??
Image
Edit: never mind, my monitor was dirty, it's gone now. ;)
The dreaded raptorfly!
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Fri May 31, 2013 2:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6905
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: Wait...

Postby mscha » Sun May 19, 2013 7:13 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
mscha wrote:What is that thing??
Spoiler:
Image

The dreaded raptorfly!

Enhance!
(Hmm, haven't seen BlitzGirl in a while... Oh well, I'm sure someone else from the CSI-style Enhancement Department will step in.)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 19, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Edit: never mind, my monitor was dirty, it's gone now. ;)

It's actually in the image (perhaps a leaf or two, floating on the wind? Or it's skymustard?), but you have no idea how often I mistake a smudge on the monitor screen for a change in the image.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6905
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Sun May 19, 2013 7:22 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
mscha wrote:Edit: never mind, my monitor was dirty, it's gone now. ;)

It's actually in the image (perhaps a leaf or two, floating on the wind? Or it's skymustard?), but you have no idea how often I mistake a smudge on the monitor screen for a change in the image.

I know, I was kidding. (It would have been quite weird if a smudge on my screen would have made it onto my (unenhanced) enlargement.:P)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun May 19, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
mscha wrote:What is that thing??
Spoiler:
Image

The dreaded raptorfly!

Enhance!
(Hmm, haven't seen BlitzGirl in a while... Oh well, I'm sure someone else from the CSI-style Enhancement Department will step in.)


Zoom:
Image

ENHANCE!:
Image

I used the subpixel radiosity encapsulation method. It's not 100% accurate (it's been known to insert trebuchets where there are none) but it's better than some of the other techniques.
Image

User avatar
Pikrass
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:18 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Pikrass » Sun May 19, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

mscha wrote:What is that thing??
Spoiler:
Image

Edit: never mind, my monitor was dirty, it's gone now. ;)


Looks like a flying spermatozoon to me. It makes sense, given that the ground is made of semencancercoffeebabiesonice.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6905
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Sun May 19, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:ENHANCE!:
Spoiler:
Image

I used the subpixel radiosity encapsulation method. It's not 100% accurate (it's been known to insert trebuchets where there are none) but it's better than some of the other techniques.

Thanks, CSI-style Enhancement Department!
It makes sense, the thingamabob does indeed resemble the trebuchet projectiles from earlier. Could this be the microtrebuchet¹¹ that BlitzGirl supposedly rescued, but has never actually shown up after her arrival in the present?

¹¹: nope, only 5 syllables.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Sun May 19, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

Image

@astrocub - That is the most awfulesome thing I've ever seen. It forced me to blink every loop! :roll: <--*blinking smilie*

htom wrote:A-B-A-B-A-B-A-B becomes boring after a while, just about there, in fact, and I start playing with it.
A-B-A-B-A-B-A-B C-D-C-D A-B-A-B-A-B-A-B A-C-A-C B-D-B-D A-B-A-B-A-B-A-B

I think twisting the (A-B)+ to have interrhymes or to use alliteration as well can keep it interesting. StratPlayer did something with an encoded message. That's a rule that others could follow, they just haven't.

nerdsniped wrote:But I didn't really get why Cueball was talking about how beautiful it was, until I saw mscha's photo, and realized that what Cueball sees is not what we see.

Welcome! I actually saw you online before you had posted and wondered if you would ever post. Cool to see that you did. :)

But, according to xkcd #1037 (second pic to load) they don't see the colors. :(

Edit: Thanks to AluisioASG.
Last edited by azule on Sun May 19, 2013 9:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
Earthling on Mars
Morning
Posts: 669
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:35 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere in the Solar System

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sun May 19, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

MORESTUFFONG

Image

Did the raptorfly move or are Megball just kicking up dust?

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6905
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Sun May 19, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:Did the raptorfly move or are Megball just kicking up dust?

It's definitely the raptorfly / thingamaboptor / microtrebuchet projectile which moved to the left.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
ergman
Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:24 am UTC
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ergman » Sun May 19, 2013 8:07 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:MORESTUFFONG

Image

Did the raptorfly move or are Megball just kicking up dust?


it's probably mosquitoes. man I hate mosquitoes.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

User avatar
jjjdavidson
Posts: 652
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:40 pm UTC
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun May 19, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

ergman wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:MORESTUFFONG
Image
Did the raptorfly move or are Megball just kicking up dust?

it's probably mosquitoes. man I hate mosquitoes.

Yeah, I think Megan's about to get bitten. *Yeowch!*
ETA: Wow, over 300 posts on the OTT. That may be more than I've done on all the rest of the internet combined.
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Sun May 19, 2013 8:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6905
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Sun May 19, 2013 8:10 pm UTC

ergman wrote:
Spoiler:
Earthling on Mars wrote:MORESTUFFONG

Image

Did the raptorfly move or are Megball just kicking up dust?

it's probably mosquitoes. man I hate mosquitoes.

I think you mean mosquitosaurs. Mosquitoes wouldn't quite show up on the unENHANCEd image.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mscha and 35 guests