1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Earthling on Mars » Mon May 20, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

ŊOG edit: ŊONG

Last edited by Earthling on Mars on Mon May 20, 2013 6:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon May 20, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
ttscp wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
ttscp wrote:Our churches use Trebuchet, not can(n)ons.

LOL. Oh yes. Sorry. Can I have some chocolate now? How about the comfy chair or foam maiden?

How about some Skittles?

No? Okay :oops:

I would give you some skittles, but some brigand made off with 73% of the Inquisitions skittle supply. It was a sad day, when nobody could taste the rainbow.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 20, 2013 6:07 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
ttscp wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

LOL. Oh yes. Sorry. Can I have some chocolate now? How about the comfy chair or foam maiden?

How about some Skittles?

I would give you some skittles, but some brigand made off with 73% of the Inquisitions skittle supply. It was a sad day, when nobody could taste the rainbow.

I will start up the grill, we will just have to throw some steak at him.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 20, 2013 6:09 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
ttscp wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

How about some Skittles?

Oh, sorry. I thought the Inquisition didn't use Skittles (only M&Ms), so I've been holding them for safekeeping. I think I still have a few of thise fifteen-pound bags around here somewhere...
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon May 20, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:I wrote a song about frogs once...

See, it's all related.

Finally got a chance to listen to it. Happy happy happy happy swearing frogs. I love it!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon May 20, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
ttscp wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

How about some Skittles?

Oh, sorry. I thought the Inquisition didn't use Skittles (only M&Ms), so I've been holding them for safekeeping. I think I still have a few of these fifteen-pound bags around here somewhere...

Well, we have meet and greets, employee of the month awards, and special events. also, sometimes we like to mix it up.
“have i gone mad?

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 20, 2013 6:11 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
ttscp wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

How about some Skittles?

Oh, sorry. I thought the Inquisition didn't use Skittles (only M&Ms), so I've been holding them for safekeeping. I think I still have a few of thise fifteen-pound bags around here somewhere...

We have to be a little mean so we usually mix M&M's and Skittles together when throwing them at heretics.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Mon May 20, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:Ok some new things after playing with my new data metric.
Second, here is an updated graph (up to post 26439 of the still rising creative flood in the OTT which seems to rival the rising sea of the OTC.
Spoiler:
Postingdata.png

Do you have that in a spreadsheet? There's what looks like an interesting inverse correlation between number of posts and information content.

The data is too unwieldy for me to keep it in a spreadsheet. I keep it in an SQL-database (sqlite3 for easy portability and backup). My workflow also revolves primarily around the command line for such tasks as importing, scraping, preprocessing etc. The actual data wrangling is done in this. But if you are interested in the data, I can easily do an export to a csv format which any decent spreadsheet program should be able to import or as a json data structure (for inclusion in a plethora of JavaScript visualization frameworks). The raw data is rather huge though, but if you want it, I can send you the database file (would need a bit of work as I keep a few unrelated tables in there as well from my other projects).

And yes, I noticed this correlation as well, quite intriguing. Maybe sometime I will look into this and add post length too.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Mon May 20, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:All that means is that Science needs to perfect Cryogenics sometime in the next 80 years, and then we can wait for that immortality drug.

Actually, the imperfect cyrogenics we have today might be just fine.
http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db ... 2405#comic

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Mon May 20, 2013 6:16 pm UTC

Someguy945 wrote:I think I am developing Chronothanatophobia - the fear of dying before the end of Time.

Not because I expect to die anytime soon, but because I am beginning to assemble an inkling of a hint of a trace of a suspicion of a doubt that the comic will not end for decades.

Now that I have planted this seed in your mind, tell me...do you have Chronothanatophobia? At what point(s) would you consider the scales to tip tremendously?

A) If the comic continues after a full year?
B) If our heroes discover why the sea is rising, perhaps even fix the problem, and the comic still continues?
C) Is there anything else you can think of that would suggest that this comic will not end?

If an simulation or theory is created that can accurately predict newpix (at least up to 20 ahead), then I would take that as proof that GLR had indeed automated his characters, storytelling, dialog to the point where it really didn't need him anymore.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon May 20, 2013 6:22 pm UTC

htom wrote:As I was leaving, I had an idea for a restaurant: The Bread Bar. Like those places that are nothing but a salad bar, this place would just have slices of different breads. Sourdoughs, Whole Wheats, Ryes, Brioche, French, Italian, Nordic, ... a little good butter, some good olive oil, beer, wine, and coffee.
Okay, but you'd better consult me about these butter sales.

Opiboble wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
htom wrote:
There is something about homemade breads, plain or fancy, a complexity of flavor and texture, that's rarely in commercial bakery products. They are like craft beers. Not by bread alone ... but I didn't eat much else that day.

yum
http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/2009/05/12/roasted-red-pepper-fougasse

I think we should do a kickstarter and start up a chain of bread bars. We will do everything dread and OTC related!!! :D

Call it Existential Bread! GLR has existential dread about everything, so I bet he'd have existential bread with everything too.

StratPlayer wrote:It's OK. It's not like never seeing the LOTR movies or something really good... the Star Wars films are very entertaining, but for every cool thing in the films, you have to put up with a cheesy thing, too (the Ewoks or Jar-Jar Binks anyone?).
My problem with that is I've already seen the Star Wars Holiday Special, and The Phantom Menace, so shouldn't that be enough cheese for all of them? Have I earnt the right to watch just the cool bits of the other films now?
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon May 20, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
htom wrote:As I was leaving, I had an idea for a restaurant: The Bread Bar. Like those places that are nothing but a salad bar, this place would just have slices of different breads. Sourdoughs, Whole Wheats, Ryes, Brioche, French, Italian, Nordic, ... a little good butter, some good olive oil, beer, wine, and coffee.

Opiboble wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
htom wrote:
There is something about homemade breads, plain or fancy, a complexity of flavor and texture, that's rarely in commercial bakery products. They are like craft beers. Not by bread alone ... but I didn't eat much else that day.

yum

I think we should do a kickstarter and start up a chain of bread bars. We will do everything dread and OTC related!!! :D

Call it Existential Bread! GLR has existential dread about everything, so I bet he'd have existential bread with everything too.

StratPlayer wrote:It's OK. It's not like never seeing the LOTR movies or something really good... the Star Wars films are very entertaining, but for every cool thing in the films, you have to put up with a cheesy thing, too (the Ewoks or Jar-Jar Binks anyone?).
My problem with that is I've already seen the Star Wars Holiday Special, and The Phantom Menace, so shouldn't that be enough cheese for all of them? Have I earnt the right to watch just the cool bits of the other films now?

What if no butter is sold? What if it's given away with a slice of bread?
“have i gone mad?

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Mon May 20, 2013 6:27 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:

Just watch 4 and 5, they are pretty solid.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 20, 2013 6:37 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Angelastic wrote:

Opiboble wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
htom wrote:

yum

What if no butter is sold? What if it's given away with a slice of bread?

The dread is generated by constantly being "out" of what people want, and just as they make up there mind on something else *BANG!* the kitchen just pulled some fresh from the oven. Now they stand there dreading making the wrong choice. Go with what I originally wanted, or go with my new choice?

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Mon May 20, 2013 6:38 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:<snip>
Ah, it's that Time--just 6 users on the OTT. Must mean it's time for me to coma.

Edited to say--just 5 users now. I think that's the lowest I've ever seen. And soon it will be four...

My prediction: if the board ever drops to 0 users online, the OTC will come to an end. This MUST NOT happen!

Or maybe the OTC will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. I think that this has already happened.

Dracomax wrote:
Someguy945 wrote:
Opiboble wrote:Yeah I have Chronothanatophobia big time! :/ need immortality meds.

Spoiler:

(first panel)

Sorry :(

All that means is that Science needs to perfect Cryogenics sometime in the next 80 years, and then we can wait for that immortality drug.

But then there will be another problem...
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon May 20, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

I was wondering just how big is this thead? A quick calculation:

I fed the (HTML) source of NP666 into gedit and had it count words. (Using the source ensured that all the spoilers would be counted). It does seem to count each tag as a word, even if they are all run together, and the statistics of that page are:

173900 bytes
392 lines
28048 "words"
173731 characters (with spaces)
155238 characters (no spaces)
------ therefore...
18493 spaces

I picked out the member info for one (arbitrary) post, with the following results:
1839 bytes
41 lines
302 words
1839 characters (with spaces)
1637 characters (no spaces)

There are 40 per page, so multplying the above by 40 and subtracting it from what's above the above yields

192 lines of content
15968 words of content
100171 characters of content (with spaces)
89758 characters of content (no spaces)
------ therefore...
10413 spaces

Taking the number of spaces as the number of actual words (not including HTML tags), there are ten thousand actual words of content per page. If two thirds of those words are just quotes (my wild ass-guess), that's over three thousand words of original content per page.

There are over 666 pages to date. Multplying that out yields well over two million words of original content.

When Margaret Mitchell wrote Gone With the Wind, she only wrote 423,575 words.

Wimp!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon May 20, 2013 6:48 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:
Febrion wrote:
Ah, it's that Time--just 6 users on the OTT. Must mean it's time for me to coma.

Edited to say--just 5 users now. I think that's the lowest I've ever seen. And soon it will be four...

My prediction: if the board ever drops to 0 users online, the OTC will come to an end. This MUST NOT happen!

Or maybe the OTC will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. I think that this has already happened.

Dracomax wrote:
Someguy945 wrote:
Opiboble wrote:Yeah I have Chronothanatophobia big time! :/ need immortality meds.

Spoiler:

(first panel)

All that means is that Science needs to perfect Cryogenics sometime in the next 80 years, and then we can wait for that immortality drug.

Simple solution--ban people under the age of 60, or who are healthy from using cryofreeze facilities. Most of the big advances come from younger people anyway, and they generally have more time left to work on it.
“have i gone mad?

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon May 20, 2013 6:49 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:This was not ready for my ketchup blitz posted earlier. I have decided to give this a try, though I fear that this shall not be very good :oops: But here we go *clears throat*
Spoiler:
Blitzering Ditzering
Ketchuping Modestly
I'm so glad I can use
Pikrass's tools

My efforts, here written
And it's all because of
jjjdavidson
We rhyme like fools

:oops:

Bravo sir bookbinder!!! :mrgreen:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 20, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Pikrass wrote:
Febrion wrote:

Dracomax wrote:
Someguy945 wrote:

Spoiler:

(first panel)

Simple solution--ban people under the age of 60, or who are healthy from using cryofreeze facilities. Most of the big advances come from younger people anyway, and they generally have more time left to work on it.

Unless they have a fatal disease, then they can go into cryo until there is a cure.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon May 20, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Pikrass wrote:
Febrion wrote:

Dracomax wrote:
Someguy945 wrote:

Spoiler:

(first panel)

Unless they have a fatal disease, then they can go into cryo until there is a cure.

There would have to be pretty precise wording on the 'fatal disease' clause though; life has about a 93% fatality rate, after all.

I think giving away butter with bread counts as selling it; I mean it's like giving away free razors. Less hazardous for your tongue, though, I guess.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 20, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

Miscellaneous Ketchuping Regurgitation of Antique Posts (KRAP) III:

Sciscitor's quest for information content:
Spoiler:
Sciscitor wrote:Ok, this one may need some explanation, so here I go:

As some of you may be aware, I was a bit obsessed the last days with finding a good way to measure information content of individual posts. After some dead ends I finally came up with the following scheme to approximate originality and information content in the OTT.
<snip>

I'm fascinated with your procedure and the results on your graph, but I have to admit that there's a part of me that considers "information content of individual posts in the OTT" and thinks you're just finding multiple ways to parse "zero", "zilch", "bupkis", "nada", "nil", "NULL', and "none."

HAL9000's bug discussion:
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:
spamjam wrote:BEESORBUGSONG?

That's actually a really good point. I hadn't realized that it could be some sort of flying insect, accompanied by a motion trail.

Noseeums, probably...

fatness's 100th:
Spoiler:
fatness wrote:
azule wrote:The plant that grew suddenly on newpix#1426 appears to be similar (enough) to the one the beesnake just came out of this newpix(#1459). Also, you can tell (from the previous 2 newpix) that the length is not a trail as the 2nd beesnake had it's tail while it was stationary.

Thought: the plant is actually a beesnake. OR, the plants pop up quickly, providing homes/hiding places for beesnakes.

Or...they are:

Penisfiles.png

Penisbees!69

Heh...thanks for the setup. And on #100 too!

69 from the aforementioned Umwelt. It IS all connected.

Now THAT's about the best 100th post I've seen yet!!!! Synchronicity, hilarity, relevency, AND penises -- perfect! And Happy 100th!!!

azule's New-Fic-Bit:
Spoiler:
azule wrote:Our story unfolds with some plans on a man's desk. A blueprint. Crudely drawn shapes overlap above, under, and around other shapes, resembling something uncannily familiar. Writing is scrawled plentifully around, yet it cannot be deciphered.

This man is very busy. He has built a lot of things. He gives talks to others trying to increase their knowledge. He is left with little time to enjoy the little things in life. With his plans ready, the man begins work.

<snip>

The creature is still. It does not 'ong', it does not move. The projection of its eyes fade.

"My creation, you have brought me something, but something of which I cannot understand." The man talks softly, with his hand on the creature's body. "I am intrigued. I am mystified. I find that you have succeeded."

The man paces the room for a moment. "I am not yet satisfied, though." The man comes back to touch his creation again. "I will now bestow upon you the most fitting name my mind can create", the man pauses, "you shall be known as NewPixBot."

Wonderful! I can't wait to see what happens next. But, of course, I must. So I shall...

yappobiscuits becoming "Cardinal":
Spoiler:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Exodies wrote:By the powers of Time, and a total disregard of protocol, I declare, second and pronounce yappobiscuits to be Cardinal Number Six Clickety Clicks for his dedication to metal, bingo and strategic posting. What this announcement has wrought, let no stick man woman or foundling rend asunder.

The song to go with the award is Sufficiently Breathless by Captain Beyond. I can't find a version on Utube, so you'll have to hum it to yourselves. Stuffing the distorted guitar solo down behind the acoustic guitar drone was an act of genius.

ETS(nip)

Yay!
Dracomax wrote:Only a coalition of 2 or more cardinals, or the vatican milliner's perfect customer can make a cardinal. For attempting it, I sentence you to a bath in scented oils and bath salts(no, not the kind that make you a ravening cannibal, the bath salts that help you relax when put into the hot water. Epson salts, not drugs.)

Aww.

That's ok -- Who'd want to be a cardinal? I'd think the position needs a much darker bird like a raven, or a crow. So how about becoming Raven number Six Clickety clicks??? No-one could contest that!

Sciscitor's OTACS:
Spoiler:
First the list of the 100 top creative Timewaiters (not accounting for creativity outside the OTT like websites, pictures, playlists, wikis etc.). The list differs in minor but interesting ways from Kieryn's1 here. The number in parenthesis is the One True Accumulated Creative Score (or short OTACS).
[list=1][*] StratPlayer (245560)
<snip>

:shock: Huh? Say wha???
Just exactly how many ways did you have to parse "bupkis" to give me that high of an OTACS???

...and now I'm caught up to KRAP-I. I'll deal with post-KRAP crap separately...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

azule
Saved

Re: 1190: "Time" - "The Story of NewPixBot"

Postby azule » Mon May 20, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

Happy Mipversary, NewPixBot!

Part the First of the Story of NewPixBot.

The creature now has a name: NewPixBot. It, for the first time, moves its arms, rotating them toward the sky. Its eyes shimmer from the reflections of movement in the room.

"NewPixBot", says the man, "your mission for me is to continue retrieving me these images."

NewPixBot rolled out right away. It traveled far and found the same location. The sound of a bell yet again marks the time of the picture.

Home again, NewPixBot wakes its creator. "Hello", the man says with a groggy phrasing, "what have you for me this time?"

NewPixBot once again attempts its vocalization. "Dong!", it says.

The man, still somewhat puzzled, looks to NewPixBot, "I see that you now speak. Yet you still emulate the sound of a bell. But that is alright, let me see your new image", the man says with unbound excitement as he fixes the setting appropriately.

Eyes flashing, NewPixBot projects the new picture to the screen. The picture does not seem to be different from the last one. "NewPixBot, did you not get me a new image?"

NewPixBot says again, "Dong!" Its arms begin to swivel below its shoulders.

The man sees that NewPixBot is upset with this statement. "NewPixBot, I'm sorry, am I wrong?" The man looks again. "Hmm, could you please project the previous image?"

NewPixBot switches to the picture from last time. In the transition is seen a slight change. "Aha! I saw a red blur where the couple had been, and a green blur where they now ended up. They have moved."

The man had gained an understanding but still could not understand something. "I ponder, though, why have they only moved so little in an hour? Is this a coincidence of perception?"

"NewPixBot, continue your quest. I will continue to wait for you."

At the sound of another bell, NewPixBot captures another image while on its mission and promptly heads back. The man is ready for him this time. Lights have already been lowered and the screen is in place.

"Are you ready?", the man says.

"Campong!", says NewPixBot.

The man reacts, "Camp-ong? Is this actually a campsite, NewPixBot?" NewPixBot does not say anything further. "Well, I see you're moving along well enough with your speech. Keep it up! Now, let's see what you've recorded."

NewPixBot and the man continued this journey of discovery: NewPixBot bringing the man a picture, the man examining the picture for meaning to this mysterious movement.

Part the Last of the Story of NewPixBot.
Last edited by azule on Tue May 21, 2013 3:04 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Mon May 20, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

THISSPACERESERVEDFORCLEVERONG

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 20, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
Pikrass wrote:
Febrion wrote:

Dracomax wrote:
Someguy945 wrote:

(first panel)

There would have to be pretty precise wording on the 'fatal disease' clause though; life has about a 93% fatality rate, after all.

I think giving away butter with bread counts as selling it; I mean it's like giving away free razors. Less hazardous for your tongue, though, I guess.

Good point... Maybe we should just develop a large lazor to etch a R.I.P. on the moon so it is our moon sized tombstone.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon May 20, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:yappobiscuits becoming "Cardinal":
Spoiler:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Exodies wrote:By the powers of Time, and a total disregard of protocol, I declare, second and pronounce yappobiscuits to be Cardinal Number Six Clickety Clicks for his dedication to metal, bingo and strategic posting. What this announcement has wrought, let no stick man woman or foundling rend asunder.

The song to go with the award is Sufficiently Breathless by Captain Beyond. I can't find a version on Utube, so you'll have to hum it to yourselves. Stuffing the distorted guitar solo down behind the acoustic guitar drone was an act of genius.

ETS(nip)

Yay!
Dracomax wrote:Only a coalition of 2 or more cardinals, or the vatican milliner's perfect customer can make a cardinal. For attempting it, I sentence you to a bath in scented oils and bath salts(no, not the kind that make you a ravening cannibal, the bath salts that help you relax when put into the hot water. Epson salts, not drugs.)

Aww.

That's ok -- Who'd want to be a cardinal? I'd think the position needs a much darker bird like a raven, or a crow. So how about becoming Raven number Six Clickety clicks??? No-one could contest that!

I can live with that! The Raven number Six Clickety Clicks, unholy anti-pope of the newpage of the beast.

And well done azule for another wonderful chapter!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Mon May 20, 2013 7:09 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:SPONTANEOUS METAL INTERLUDE!
Spoiler:
<hidden snip!>
Edit: Hail SatONG
Spoiler:
<hidden snip!>
That's a wonderful adaptation!
(But next time, can you just double-post your ONG? It's now actually posted in a message with a pre-ONG timestamp, which is kinda confusing.)

I added that frame to my post which is in the proper newpix.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon May 20, 2013 7:09 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:
yappobiscuits wrote:

ETS(nip)

Yay!

Aww.

I can live with that! The Raven number Six Clickety Clicks, unholy anti-pope of the newpage of the beast.

I'll ratify that rank.
“have i gone mad?

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon May 20, 2013 7:12 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:...Most of the big advances come from younger people anyway, and they generally have more time left to work on wait for it.

FTFY.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Mon May 20, 2013 7:12 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote: But if you are interested in the data, I can easily do an export to a csv format which any decent spreadsheet program should be able to import or as a json data structure (for inclusion in a plethora of JavaScript visualization frameworks). The raw data is rather huge though, but if you want it, I can send you the database file (would need a bit of work as I keep a few unrelated tables in there as well from my other projects).

And yes, I noticed this correlation as well, quite intriguing. Maybe sometime I will look into this and add post length too.

Yeah, I meant data in a readable file, but since I was thinking of importing it into a spreadsheet and looking at it there I said spreadsheet. Any reasonable format (xml, csv, tab) in a text file will work fine. Easiest would be csv. I haven't worked with json, and I don't have time to learn, so that's not a good idea. If you have to go through relational hoops to get the data out, it's not worth it.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon May 20, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:
yappobiscuits wrote:

ETS(nip)

Yay!

Aww.

I'll ratify that rank.

I confess I had to look up the definition of "ratify", but if it does indeed mean "to confirm by expressing consent, approval, or formal sanction", then I consider myself greatly honoured!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 20, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
Pikrass wrote:
Febrion wrote:

Dracomax wrote:
Someguy945 wrote:

(first panel)

Good point... Maybe we should just develop a large lazor to etch a R.I.P. on the moon so it is our moon sized tombstone.

Since Helper isn't here to submit my random thoughts to What-If:

Yeah I know crazy right! It hit me when reading http://what-if.xkcd.com/27/ and you talked about getting one tombstone for everyone, and then I thought you would need a big grave stone so I guess we would need to laser etch the moon. But that isn't ON the earth/grave, so we would need to land the moon on the earth.
So that is my crazy question: What if you could land the moon on the earth? And as side questions, what would it take to pull it off, and what would it cost for this huge tombstone for everyone?
Thanks,
Opiboble

:D

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Mon May 20, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
ttscp wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

How about some Skittles?

We have to be a little mean so we usually mix M&M's and Skittles together when throwing them at heretics.

In other words, you throw S&M's? How utterly fiendish! (Or kinkily friendish!)
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Mon May 20, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

ucim wrote:I was wondering just how big is this thead? A quick calculation:
...[snip]...
There are over 666 pages to date. Multplying that out yields well over two million words of original quoting, blitzing, cupcakes, parties, doomsaying, haiku, dactyl2, limerick content.
Jose

FTFY
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 20, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:
yappobiscuits wrote:

ETS(nip)

Yay!

Aww.

I'll ratify that rank.

Right. Done, and done!

But I had to blink because first I thought that said "newpage of the breast."

Probably from blitzing through too many of jjjdavidson's bouncing double-D's...

But, on a side note -- if that bug comes back, I wonder how Cueball will scare it away? Probably by saying...

Spoiler:
Boo, bee!
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 20, 2013 7:24 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
ttscp wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

How about some Skittles?

Well I would go with M&S's, since having more M's then S's just makes it a sausage party... I cant believe I just said that...

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Mon May 20, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Sciscitor's OTACS:
Spoiler:
First the list of the 100 top creative Timewaiters (not accounting for creativity outside the OTT like websites, pictures, playlists, wikis etc.). The list differs in minor but interesting ways from Kieryn's1 here. The number in parenthesis is the One True Accumulated Creative Score (or short OTACS).
1. StratPlayer (245560)
<snip>

Just exactly how many ways did you have to parse "bupkis" to give me that high of an OTACS???

Well, I've shifted my focus from pure information content to creativity. And by eyeballing the results it fits rather well. You did a lot of creative work with your song lyrics after all.
On the other hand, inventing new words is some form of creativity and even the nonsense contraptions contain information, they are not completely random! They convey emotions, feelings, a mood. And they encode some rather complex concepts. Just take "molpy": Now for the waiters it means minor changes in pixels between frames unrelated to Cugan or the sea, probably caused by little earth dwelling creatures, not flying ones, with humorous undertones when enhanced. It's the same with a lot of other words even those in the first line of the D-Dactyls. You don't get any score by repeating words, doubles, triples etc., but new links count towards the score. My generated link lists as such on the other hand don't, as this information was already there in the OTC. They do enhance the score, because of their compilation, which has it's own informational value, but in a minor way (that's because of the division by 2, 4, 8, and finally 16) of sequences.
I am not sure if I can explain this in any satisfying way. (Disclosure: I never had any formal training either in information theory or computational sciences, so whatever I wrote here may be utter bullshit.)
Last edited by Sciscitor on Mon May 20, 2013 7:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon May 20, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

Ratify smatify
Yappo-B is confirmed
Unholy anti-pope
Six sixty six

Mayhaps his avatar
Enhydra lutris will
morph to a Corvus soon
Clickety clicks

ed in an attempt to improve stuff
Last edited by fhorn on Mon May 20, 2013 7:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon May 20, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Someguy945 wrote:

(first panel)

I don't think you will be able to motivate anyone to unfreeze all the stiffs.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Mon May 20, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
ttscp wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

How about some Skittles?

As long as they're not in the fifteen-pound bags and I can put pans on the floor to collect the ones that miss, I'm ready for anything.
Is S&Ms a neologism?

Edit: Commit heresy and you get an opportunity for Token Tenure in Technocratic Tippet?97 Woo!

97 This stuff is much harder than it looks. Trying to find suitable "T" words, I learned about Talapoin Buddhist monks, and the ecclesiastical meaning of tippet, which I only knew from Emily Dickinson.
Last edited by ttscp on Mon May 20, 2013 7:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 20, 2013 7:32 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Sciscitor's OTACS:
Spoiler:
1. StratPlayer (245560)
<snip>

Well, I've shifted my focus from pure information content to creativity. And by eyeballing the results it fits rather well. You did a lot of creative work with your song lyrics after all.
On the other hand, inventing new words is some form of creativity and even the nonsense contraptions contain information, they are not completely random! They convey emotions, feelings, a mood. And they encode some rather complex concepts. Just take "molpy": Now for the waiters it means minor changes in pixels between frames unrelated to Cugan or the sea, probably caused by little earth dwelling creatures, not flying ones, with humorous undertones when enhanced. It's the same with a lot of other words even those in the first line of the D-Dactyls. You don't get any score by repeating words, doubles, triples etc., but new links count towards the score. My generated link lists as such on the other hand don't, as this information was already there in the OTC. They do enhance the score, because of their compilation, which has it's own informational value, but in a minor way (that's because of the division by 2, 4, 8, and finally 16) of sequences.
I am not sure if I can explain this in any satisfying way. (Disclosure: I never had any formal training either in information theory or computational sciences, so whatever I wrote here my be utter bullshit.)

Fascinating. I can certainly agree with your assumptions and it sounds reasonable, and it's intriguing to consider.

... but I also think that 99.8% of everything I write could use your same disclosure: "Whatever I write here may be utter bullshit."

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”