1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

HES

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:04 am UTC

I would ONG and keep kenmelken company but the server isn't cooperating
ETA: heh, 4:04 hash not found (except that only works in UK heretical time)

EDIT II: Judgement Edit - My papal decree shall be that the posts that materialised and gave me this title are brought forward into the light.
Last edited by HES on Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:26 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
He/Him/His Image

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:05 am UTC

PullONG up

ETA: My promotion from goat to pope to not-the-pope seems to indicate we have some lurker first posts that need to be brought forward.
Last edited by moody7277 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:18 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

trolleypup

Postby trolleypup » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:05 am UTC

BraceONG!

ahh ninja'd

ETA: Aieee! I'm Pope! Wait...as an atheist, I'm required to be Master Of The Universe instead...since I'm not about to renounce Love, I'll have to give the gold back to the Rheinmaidens, so no decrees this newpix. ETA2: oopsie, false gold.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:20 am UTC

Holy smokes, folks, you should see this firstpost! It's only one page back, but I'm throwing it forward anyway.
CameronCat wrote:Dear Sis,
I know I haven't written in a while and for that I apologize; just busy I guess. I hope you and the kids are well. I did want to tell you about the new church I've joined and invite you to visit us.

See, for many years I would pass by the Cathedral three times a week and just stick my head in to see what might be going on. Lessons and revelations are presented regularly in the Cathedral of the One True Comic, but the teaching, discussion and philosophizing is conducted immediately adjacent in the Tabernacle. I would cast an eye in there occasionally as well.
Spoiler:
But one day, back in March, there came a revelation of Time -- with the dictum "Wait for it" -- that started so much discussion that I just had to hang around for the rest of it. I took a seat in the very last pew of the Tabernacle and have attended almost all of the teachings and discussions. I was firmly (if invisibly) ensconced in the Tabernacle of Time or the One True Thread. (Y'otter totter in with us.)

Others were equally taken and a congregation grew quickly; the group is pretty neat! It's a varied lot, and judging from the name tags I see, quite international and very urbane as well. Although there are some senior members, it seems the average age is young-ish. (Heavens, I think I own some cars older than many regulars.) For many reasons, some of the regulars have fallen away so I thought perhaps I should get up, get a name tag and join the congregation. I’ve noticed some other Cats here too, so maybe I’ll move up to another pew.

You see, each hour another revelation is presented in the Cathedral. A parishioner picks up a copy of the new picture and posts it in the Tabernacle. At the sounding of the sacred ONG, as many as will then assemble in the ToT for speculation, discussion, and no little bit of tomfoolery. The series of pictures from the beginning comprise a story line of the two little characters on a journey. What we have seen so far is not so revealing that we can guess at the ending, and that is a large part of the happenings in the ToT. So, as admonished, we Wait for It.

The congregation is SO varied that no firm doctrine (other than the initial commandment) has evolved. Most of the lessons come from discussions and reference to other writings. Should you miss an ONG, it’s hoped that you’ll perform the revered Ketchup by reading what you missed. If you've missed a lot, you may want to read all of the teachings in order. That's known as a Blitz and a long one may get you a hat awarded for merit. You wear it on your name tag. Hats are usually awarded for exemplary service to the faith, but also occasionally simply on request. The original Hatter has gone out of business but others have risen to the need.

But what an easy going group; I mean they have sects and random texticles and everything! (Oooh, ahhh!) :shock: Many of the sects formed early when the early lectors were predicting how the story would unfold. Some think the tale will loop back to the opening frame; they are the Loopists. Others think it will go on forever (the Eternalists). Some say it will be a metaphor for something in Lord Randall’s life, and this I firmly believe. Therefore, I am a metaphorist.

Which is handy because our little friends in the story recently met a forest, which, symbolically as a refererence might have been a metaforest. Regardless, I cling to the words of a Lector in the Early Church (Angelastic) who said,
… I don't think Randall is making us wait and refresh just to say at the end 'HA! Something terrible happened! to me or my wife!' Sure, if enough time passes, people/universes will disappear, and maybe that will happen here, but time will pass first and it will be lovely, poignant, funny, surprising, tedious etc. rather than morbid.”
Other lectors and readers have said much the same.

And Sis, you’d love the Music and Arts committee in the Church of the OTC. There’s people who write new hymns using old tunes to fit the recent teachings; most results are pretty remarkable and some are stunning! Others write adjunct stories or futurist novels, and one has even written a play with cues and everything. (I’m not sure even the best stage manager could call the show off his cue list but that’s an easy fix.)

What’s more, the Literary sub-committee writes poetry and encourages a particular form know as double-dactyls. Most of the submissions are pretty good although some fall to Earth of their own weight. These of course become terradactyls and are not heard from again, a pterrible fate for such strong efforts.

Join us at the church, Sis. When you get there, the password is “caffeinatedbaby…”, er, “raptorsemencancer…,” no, um it’s “molpy-beesnakeflutter…”. Oh, hell! – Just mention bacon and I’m sure they’ll let you in.

All my love,
Cam

────────────────
HES wrote:
mscha wrote:Here's a movie at 30 fpsH of Time so far. Surprisingly not completely unwatchable...

Neat! I love how fluid some of the movement is, especially the, er, fluids. Something we can't appreciate at ~0.0003fps

You made me think about something I hadn't connected to the OTC before: I was watching live in 1976 as Viking 1 transmitted the first color image from the surface of Mars. It took several minutes to transmit,* and as I recall it scanned top-to-bottom, left-to-right instead of the other way around.ⁿ That first color image was a 563x512 pixel image, comparable in size to Timeframes. (The original transmission showed a hilariously blue sky, later corrected.)

So I started wondering: What would it look like if newpix appeared a pixel at a time instead of by an hourly ONG? 218,435 pixels per newpix; about 61 pixels per second. Scanning top-to-bottom, left-to-right (like Viking), then a new column of pixels would take about 6½ seconds to appear; just to scan across Cueball in the current frame would take a minute and a half; the tree behind Megan would take about 7½ minutes.

I'd love to see someone do an animation of a single frame like this (though I shudder at the thought of a 218,435-frame GIF file). Maybe someone can find a clever way to code this in javascript?²

* Wikipedia says 4 minutes; that feels about right. I don't know the color depth, or if any compression was used (by the evenly progressive way the scan appeared, I'd guess not), but if it was 8-bit uncompressed then that gives a baud rate of about 32K. NASA had pretty impressive interplanetary wireless in 1976.
ⁿ Because the camera scanned side to side, to allow for unlimited panoramic shots, if I remember correctly.
² And have you noticed the javascript on the comic page?
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:28 am UTC

I am still a bit worried about Cueball and that rope. Quite worried.

I know I haven't written in a while and for that I apologize; just busy I guess. I hope you and the kids are well. I did want to tell you about the new church I've joined and invite you to visit us.
Spoiler:
See, for many years I would pass by the Cathedral three times a week and just stick my head in to see what might be going on. Lessons and revelations are presented regularly in the Cathedral of the One True Comic, but the teaching, discussion and philosophizing is conducted immediately adjacent in the Tabernacle. I would cast an eye in there occasionally as well.

But one day, back in March, there came a revelation of Time -- with the dictum "Wait for it" -- that started so much discussion that I just had to hang around for the rest of it. I took a seat in the very last pew of the Tabernacle and have attended almost all of the teachings and discussions. I was firmly (if invisibly) ensconced in the Tabernacle of Time or the One True Thread. (Y'otter totter in with us.)

Others were equally taken and a congregation grew quickly; the group is pretty neat! It's a varied lot, and judging from the name tags I see, quite international and very urbane as well. Although there are some senior members, it seems the average age is young-ish. (Heavens, I think I own some cars older than many regulars.) For many reasons, some of the regulars have fallen away so I thought perhaps I should get up, get a name tag and join the congregation. I’ve noticed some other Cats here too, so maybe I’ll move up to another pew.

You see, each hour another revelation is presented in the Cathedral. A parishioner picks up a copy of the new picture and posts it in the Tabernacle. At the sounding of the sacred ONG, as many as will then assemble in the ToT for speculation, discussion, and no little bit of tomfoolery. The series of pictures from the beginning comprise a story line of the two little characters on a journey. What we have seen so far is not so revealing that we can guess at the ending, and that is a large part of the happenings in the ToT. So, as admonished, we Wait for It.

The congregation is SO varied that no firm doctrine (other than the initial commandment) has evolved. Most of the lessons come from discussions and reference to other writings. Should you miss an ONG, it’s hoped that you’ll perform the revered Ketchup by reading what you missed. If you've missed a lot, you may want to read all of the teachings in order. That's known as a Blitz and a long one may get you a hat awarded for merit. You wear it on your name tag. Hats are usually awarded for exemplary service to the faith, but also occasionally simply on request. The original Hatter has gone out of business but others have risen to the need.

But what an easy going group; I mean they have sects and random texticles and everything! (Oooh, ahhh!) :shock: Many of the sects formed early when the early lectors were predicting how the story would unfold. Some think the tale will loop back to the opening frame; they are the Loopists. Others think it will go on forever (the Eternalists). Some say it will be a metaphor for something in Lord Randall’s life, and this I firmly believe. Therefore, I am a metaphorist.

Which is handy because our little friends in the story recently met a forest, which, symbolically as a refererence might have been a metaforest. Regardless, I cling to the words of a Lector in the Early Church (Angelastic) who said, “… I don't think Randall is making us wait and refresh just to say at the end 'HA! Something terrible happened! to me or my wife!' Sure, if enough time passes, people/universes will disappear, and maybe that will happen here, but time will pass first and it will be lovely, poignant, funny, surprising, tedious etc. rather than morbid.” Other lectors and readers have said much the same.

And Sis, you’d love the Music and Arts committee in the Church of the OTC. There’s people who write new hymns using old tunes to fit the recent teachings; most results are pretty remarkable and some are stunning! Others write adjunct stories or futurist novels, and one has even written a play with cues and everything. (I’m not sure even the best stage manager could call the show off his cue list but that’s an easy fix.)

What’s more, the Literary sub-committee writes poetry and encourages a particular form know as double-dactyls. Most of the submissions are pretty good although some fall to Earth of their own weight. These of course become terradactyls and are not heard from again, a pterrible fate for such strong efforts.

Join us at the church, Sis. When you get there, the password is “caffeinatedbaby…”, er, “raptorsemencancer…,” no, um it’s “molpy-beesnakeflutter…”. Oh, hell! – Just mention bacon and I’m sure they’ll let you in.

All my love,
Cam

How could I have possibly missed this post? Hi Cam! Welcome! Yes, bacon will surely get you in. Or cake. Or m&ms. Or cupcakes. Or a bacon and m&m cupcake cake. Yes, those will all do. We also have pizza. But then you know all this. Welcome to the cave! Er...Cathedral! Oh...um...Cathedral Cave of Time? Is there not, already, a Cathedral Cave somewhere?
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:31 am UTC

<snip/>

All my love,
Cam
Nice first post. Welcome. Please continue to post. No pressure. :)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:34 am UTC

Edited to avoid repeating people

LittleBunnyFuFu wrote:Just tossing this out there as an idea but what about it lining up with the solstice? It looks like something big is going to happen soon (top of the mountain) and the solstice is only a few days away. Also the start of 1190 was March 25, just after the equinox. I could easy be way wrong, just tossing it out add an idea.

Little Bunny FuFu

Hello! Being wrong is what predictions are all about, although I prefer the theory (held mostly by me) that the entire thing was a birthday present to me, and will end after a year.

Spoiler:

Which is handy because our little friends in the story recently met a forest, which, symbolically as a refererence might have been a metaforest. Regardless, I cling to the words of a Lector in the Early Church (Angelastic) who said, “… I don't think Randall is making us wait and refresh just to say at the end 'HA! Something terrible happened! to me or my wife!' Sure, if enough time passes, people/universes will disappear, and maybe that will happen here, but time will pass first and it will be lovely, poignant, funny, surprising, tedious etc. rather than morbid.” Other lectors and readers have said much the same.

All my love,
Cam

mmmmm, bacon. Bacon always works. It's been a while since I've looked outside, and this metaphor truth is brilliant.
Last edited by HES on Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:36 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:36 am UTC

And throwing forward another firstpost from NP 867:
LittleBunnyFuFu wrote:Just tossing this out there as an idea but what about it lining up with the solstice? It looks like something big is going to happen soon (top of the mountain) and the solstice is only a few days away. Also the start of 1190 was March 25, just after the equinox. I could easy be way wrong, just tossing it out add an idea.

Little Bunny FuFu

Interesting theory! The solstice is in roughly 80-100 newpix (I don't know the exact time of day), so they've got time to climb quite a bit higher. We'll be watching, LBFF!
Edit: Ninja'd handily by HES.
E2: Whilliking jeepers! When did I pass 400 posts?
Don't wait for me.
He won! He won! He won!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:39 am UTC

mscha wrote:Here's a movie at 30 fpsH of Time so far. Surprisingly not completely unwatchable...
And with that, I bid youse farecoma.

-----

Nice movie mscha! I actually posted a short discussion regarding the making of a movie, using Time frames. I had actually suggested a comfortable speed of 2 frames per second, but realize perhaps I should have also suggested that dialogue frames be slowed down to 1 frame for 2 seconds. That would make it readable. I do not suppose you would be up to the task of making such a 16 minute film? Do not think that this is a request or challenge. I would make such a film, had I the skill.

jjjdavidson wrote:And throwing forward another firstpost from NP 867:

Little Bunny FuFu

Interesting theory! The solstice is in roughly 80-100 newpix (I don't know the exact time of day), so they've got time to climb quite a bit higher. We'll be watching, LBFF!
Edit: Ninja'd handily by HES.
E2: Whilliking jeepers! When did I pass 400 posts?

Yes, I like this theory. Very interesting, indeed!

jjjdavidson, did you not get a 400 cake? :(
Last edited by k.bookbinder on Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:40 am UTC

Holy smokes! That decree was fulfilled and then some. Hello again to the newcomers, hope to see more of you!
He/Him/His Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:41 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
HES wrote:

Neat! I love how fluid some of the movement is, especially the, er, fluids. Something we can't appreciate at ~0.0003fps

You made me think about something I hadn't connected to the OTC before: I was watching live in 1976 as Viking 1 transmitted the first color image from the surface of Mars. It took several minutes to transmit,* and as I recall it scanned top-to-bottom, left-to-right instead of the other way around.ⁿ That first color image was a 563x512 pixel image, comparable in size to Timeframes. (The original transmission showed a hilariously blue sky, later corrected.)
Spoiler:

So I started wondering: What would it look like if newpix appeared a pixel at a time instead of by an hourly ONG? 218,435 pixels per newpix; about 61 pixels per second. Scanning top-to-bottom, left-to-right (like Viking), then a new column of pixels would take about 6½ seconds to appear; just to scan across Cueball in the current frame would take a minute and a half; the tree behind Megan would take about 7½ minutes.

I'd love to see someone do an animation of a single frame like this (though I shudder at the thought of a 218,435-frame GIF file). Maybe someone can find a clever way to code this in javascript?²

* Wikipedia says 4 minutes; that feels about right. I don't know the color depth, or if any compression was used (by the evenly progressive way the scan appeared, I'd guess not), but if it was 8-bit uncompressed then that gives a baud rate of about 32K. NASA had pretty impressive interplanetary wireless in 1976.
ⁿ Because the camera scanned side to side, to allow for unlimited panoramic shots, if I remember correctly.

Hmm...if I knew more about the .gif format I'd be totally up for it. As it is, I'm tempted to try using flash or something I am familiar with just to see what it looks like. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference on most (early) frames until most of the way through, though.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:47 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
HES wrote:

Spoiler:

Hmm...if I knew more about the .gif format I'd be totally up for it. As it is, I'm tempted to try using flash or something I am familiar with just to see what it looks like. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference on most (early) frames until most of the way through, though.

I'd suggest using the HTML5 <canvas> element instead, and just draw a pixel at a time with Javascript. You could also clear it to grey or some other color before starting each newpix, so that progress would be evident.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:51 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:
HES wrote:

It might make an interesting (and aggravating) screensaver (though ineffective in the screen-saving sense). As a screensaver it would probably work best to choose a random frame as a starting point, rather than always beginning at frame 1 (unless you're in the habit of leaving your computer untouched for months on end; maybe a network server).

taixzo wrote:I'd suggest using the HTML5 <canvas> element instead, and just draw a pixel at a time with Javascript. You could also clear it to grey or some other color before starting each newpix, so that progress would be evident.

Actually, I was thinking of having a red pixel scanning down the screen as a visible marker of progress, leaving updated pixels behind it.

As usual, it's 1½np past coma and I'm still here. Good night and coma well, Waiters; may your comallucinations be filled with lovely Timeodies at an acceptable scan rate. Good night, Mrs. MobTeeseboose, wherever you are! See you all in a fewpix...
Don't wait for me.
He won! He won! He won!

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:00 am UTC

not quite upONG the hill yet
He/Him/His Image

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:13 am UTC

HES wrote:not quite upONG the hill yet

You can do it Cueball! DON'T FALL!!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:23 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:
Valarya wrote:But seriously, my favorite one ever is right here. It doesn't get more adorable than that lil molpy.
I challenge you with this!

Oh dear gods (randall).. that is squeeeeee-worthy. ><

lmjb1964 wrote:I see in my preview window that we're supposed to say something about pizza, and I also see something about cupcakes. So, here. Or alternatively, here.

Love the cupcakes! :mrgreen:

jjjdavidson wrote:But I have to say Valarya's was my own favorite. Her dangling ending, though:
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:I hope you're slumbering
peacefully somewhere sweet
flutterbee you'll be
    remembered by us.

Forever one of the
OTC family
Rest in peace molpybug...

Perhaps to others it's obvious what she intended; for me, I can't help adding, Cupcakes for us!

Haha, awww. Thanks, jjj! You've changed my life with double dactyls. <3

I did want to tell you about the new church I've joined and invite you to visit us.
<massive snip>

Wow! Awesome firstpost, Camcat! That was incredibly well stated, spot-on, endearing and beautiful.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:24 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:It might make an interesting (and aggravating) screensaver (though ineffective in the screen-saving sense). As a screensaver it would probably work best to choose a random frame as a starting point, rather than always beginning at frame 1 (unless you're in the habit of leaving your computer untouched for months on end; maybe a network server).
Starting from a random frame does sound like a good idea to avoid some aggravation (though to see what frame it is you still have to wait for it). As for screen saving, I think that's no longer relevant with today's minotaurmonitor technology. I haven't actually seen a screensaver all year as far as I remember. All the computers I see are just set to automatically turn the monitor off to save power.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:24 am UTC

See, for many years I would pass by the Cathedral three times a week and just stick my head in to see what might be going on.
Rest of the text:
Spoiler:
Lessons and revelations are presented regularly in the Cathedral of the One True Comic, but the teaching, discussion and philosophizing is conducted immediately adjacent in the Tabernacle. I would cast an eye in there occasionally as well.

Which is handy because our little friends in the story recently met a forest, which, symbolically as a refererence might have been a metaforest. Regardless, I cling to the words of a Lector in the Early Church (Angelastic) who said,“… I don't think Randall is making us wait and refresh just to say at the end 'HA! Something terrible happened! to me or my wife!' Sure, if enough time passes, people/universes will disappear, and maybe that will happen here, but time will pass first and it will be lovely, poignant, funny, surprising, tedious etc. rather than morbid.” Other lectors and readers have said much the same.

All my love,
Cam

:lol: Great firstpost, CameronCat! As I'm sure many others have already said, welcome, c'mon in, have some pizza and some cake! (my devices don't like to post images to the thread, but there's plenty around :wink: )
I wish I had a face-palm smiley for your prehistoric puns; you've set the bar pretty high there for yourself!

Edit: Yep, Ninja'd by many!
On the off-chance you didn't know, your second post will also be moderated, so if you haven't submitted it yet, get it written so you can be done with the mods and engage in n-dimensional dialogue with the rest of us 8-)
Last edited by BlueCrab on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:52 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:49 am UTC

Those are some top notch first posts. I can't wait for the solstice now! and also, whoever said the thing a while ago about things rippling through Time eternally was so right: "random texticles"
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:51 am UTC

I shall not know what will befall poor Cueball until I de-coma. Perhaps I should not have used the word "befall." Hang in there Cueball! Coma well all! For those un-coma'd, keep the faith and wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:02 am UTC

SuccessONG!Image
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:04 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:SuccessONG!

Well, now I can go coma.
Planet Earth is blue, and there is nothing I can do.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Exodies

Re: 1190: "Time" - Descent...

Postby Exodies » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:33 am UTC

ttscp wrote:...Into Heresy - Ready the Foam Maiden

I think the time has come to talk about plot elements, and the kinds of plot elements that Randall might use (hence the heresy tag).
<Hack, snip, mutilate>

little filler arcs
Small arcs
plot elements
main arc
sub arcs

Very interesting but I think it is as much fiction as the story it endeavours to explain. Can you please define arcs and elements.

And

azule wrote:I am of the belief that "rocky" in Rocky Mountains is an adjective. It is describing the mountains.

True for very small values of "describe".

And

ChronosDragon wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:remind-ONG

Oh, how the tables have turned!

He's not going to get upset because a woman has changed her mind is he?
EDIT later posts indicate that he only imagines she changed her mind, even better.
Last edited by Exodies on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:59 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:43 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Well, now I can go coma.
Planet Earth is blue, and there is nothing I can do.
Yes there is:
Spoiler:
You can Wait for It

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ttscp wrote:...Into Heresy - Ready the Foam Maiden

I think the time has come to talk about plot elements, and the kinds of plot elements that Randall might use (hence the heresy tag).
<Hack, snip, mutilate>

little filler arcs
Small arcs
plot elements
main arc
sub arcs

We don't need a real story in the OTC. The OTT is doing that all on it's own. The OTC is useful to keep the OTT going though.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:53 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
wizpretz wrote:My eyes hurt after looking at too many stereograms and impossible colors. I can finally see stereograms after trying and failing many times before. I think I can see the impossible colors but they go away almost immediately.

I know, right? I look something like this after trying and trying - catching a glimpse of a 3D muffin, and then refocusing - and finally giving up again

Aren't there two kinds of stereograms - eyes crossed and eyes spread?
I always thought it would be cool to paint a stereogram on a three-d thing so that it looked flat.
There was a computer game in the days of the diskette which came in 3 flavours - ordinary, 3-d with redgreen specs, and 3-d stereogram. I think you were flying round on a flying carpet. Lots of fun trying to keep the image.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:01 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
wizpretz wrote:My eyes hurt after looking at too many stereograms and impossible colors. I can finally see stereograms after trying and failing many times before. I think I can see the impossible colors but they go away almost immediately.

I know, right? I look something like this after trying and trying - catching a glimpse of a 3D muffin, and then refocusing - and finally giving up again

Aren't there two kinds of stereograms - eyes crossed and eyes spread?
I always thought it would be cool to paint a stereogram on a three-d thing so that it looked flat.
There was a computer game in the days of the diskette which came in 3 flavours - ordinary, 3-d with redgreen specs, and 3-d stereogram. I think you were flying round on a flying carpet. Lots of fun trying to keep the image.

For me there is only one kind of stereogram. The one that gives me a headache. I have much trouble getting them to work, although I did manage once (took me about an hour of trying).
Logically the eyes crossed/eyes spread would give a result the other way around as well (I mean crossing your eyes for an eyes-spread picture). It would just be inverted. All the stuff that should be rising out of the image sinks into it, while the recessed stuff pops out. But I have no way of testing it.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:06 am UTC

IT'SONGYDOODYTIME

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:11 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Nice movie mscha! I actually posted a short discussion regarding the making of a movie, using Time frames. I had actually suggested a comfortable speed of 2 frames per second, but realize perhaps I should have also suggested that dialogue frames be slowed down to 1 frame for 2 seconds. That would make it readable. I do not suppose you would be up to the task of making such a 16 minute film? Do not think that this is a request or challenge. I would make such a film, had I the skill.

Did you know that the Geekwagon site allows you to do just that? You can play it back at whatever frame rate you want, and even adjust to make frames with text and other significant frames take longer. It has become a favorite tool on my WikiQuest (which I'll be working on tonight, btw! Been really busy lately).

@CameronCat & LittleBunnyFuFu: WOW! Great firstposts!

k.bookbinder wrote:jjjdavidson, did you not get a 400 cake? :(

For j3:
Spoiler:
This cake was to celebrate the 400th birthday of someone named John. It seemed classy, and so are you.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:00 am UTC

Putting the rope away-ONG:

[edit]
And there's a new What-if

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:14 am UTC

Flotter wrote:Putting the rope away-ONG:

[edit]
And there's a new What-if

Cueball, Megan - it's imperative that you don't sail an aluminium boat on a gallium lake! If...you were considering doing such a thing...

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:16 am UTC

Flotter wrote:And there's a new What-if

In It's-All-Related-ness, the stick-guy in the first illustration is apparently named Michael.

Also, I will be looking for something in the OTC or OTT to call thirdsound now, because even GLR himself called it future.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:17 am UTC

Thanks Flotter, I was several what-ifs behind! (Was that River attacking a wild parsnip with an axe in the sun-going-out one? It's all related :P)
(How did that get posted twice? fixed now.)

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:24 am UTC

Opiboble wrote:*YAWN*

I have awoken!

With a statement like that I would expect more earth tremors and echo effects.

Try again, now with gusto.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:48 am UTC

[prediction]The Spanish inquisition will arrest them for something[/prediction]

he/him/his

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:56 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I have been trying to ketchup all day, but you all keep posting stuff! And then work stuff gets in the way! So, I'm blindposting from about a page back, so this post won't get any more seaish than it already is:

rvloon wrote:
rvloon wrote:
mscha wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Some forums, including the only other one I'm a regular on, <snip>

What??? Are you cheating on us‽‽‽

No, just foruming around. Waiting in parallel, most likely.

Ronald

789 -> 837. A small way to go.

Now at 837 -> 862. I did some sneak previewing, though. And saw that some of the jokes while Blitzing went totally unremarked. O well, such is Time.

Ronald

Congratulations on reaching the present, and thanks for re-sharing your joke. So easy for things to get missed.

I was actually referring to the other things I had posted. I do not post a lot so it sometimes feel that the forces of other discussions push me back a few NPs so not everybody will have noticed. I usually have just a tiny observation, which is easy to skip over. I probably should get an avatar, then have it hatted, so I can have a hattatar and be cool like Blitzgirl2.

The OTT is sometimes brutal like that, my little nuggets of funniness1 easily forgotten by the stampede of dead *facebuggies mourning.

1 Attempted anyway.
I wanted to be cool like BlitzGirl but all I got was this lousy Timeshirt3,4
would probably be a huge bestseller.
3 Which reminds me: this whole thread bundled in a large leather bound volume would be awesome. Or a screensaver, with random posts from the OTT, interspersed with OTC images. I would also definitely buy a deck of Tarot cards, if
ever completed. Also, maybe we could do a Parody of Timesongs CD. I can contribute base/baritone vocals if necessary.
4 Also might be interesting: what Timeframe (an oldpix) would most readily sum up the current eras of time ? Pictures say more than a thousand words. Also, if you had to choose one oldpix to epitomize the OTC, which would it be?

I'll shut up now.

Ronald
Spoiler:

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:57 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:[prediction]The Spanish inquisition will arrest them for something[/prediction]

I must say, I didn't expect that one.

Ronald
Spoiler:

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:58 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:[prediction]The Spanish inquisition will arrest them for something[/prediction]

Perhaps, but only when you least expect it!

ETA: Damn, sort of ninja'd. But only sort of.

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:01 am UTC

gONG:

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:03 am UTC

WIKI-QUEST TIME

I've begun some long-overdue Wiki-updating. Just finished breaking down some new periods and wrote the entry for the "Wowterfall" period. Hope y'all enjoy.
Very special thanks to BlitzGirl for her pronoun translation of Cuegan's dialogue offered back during the discussion of this period in thread, which was so wonderful that I simply reprinted it completely within the entry.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:11 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I actually think that the song lyrics we post in the OTT fit the definition of parody music. Spaketh Wikipedia: "Parody" in this serious sense continues to be a term in musicological use, existing alongside the more common use of the term to refer to parody for humorous effect...

Maybe a Pastiche would be a better word? Or we could just call it recycling or maybe go sideways and just call it an OTTification. Timification might also work.

Ronald
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”