1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Kieryn

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Kieryn wrote:I predict dialog in the next frame.

That's probably the fastest disproval of a prediction in OTT history. Image

I'm going for all the records today... :)

Edit: And the obligatory papal decree: With your post, break a record... any record...
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

Most useless animation update ever. (Squirplet still hiding.)

Image Image

ETA: how come it can run back without disturbing any branches?
ETAMOQ: maybe it's running behind (or in front of) the bush, instead of through it.
Last edited by mscha on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:12 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
SBN wrote:All I can see is an arm reaching out and setting down the squirpy.

Spoiler:

I was trying to google "squirpy" until it dawned on me that there might be more suitable words to type into heretical search engines. I've been here too long...

We need a custom search engine! Anyone up for it?

ETA for papal decree: this post possibly holds the record for largest undertaking suggested in this thread.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:18 pm UTC

Ketchup!
Thanks to everyone for the kind feedback on my Wiki posts. :) I enjoy writing them and rereading the relevant discussions from all you geniuses.
Also, thanks to Vytron for managing to ressurect THREE of my posts from the past in the last NP and a half!
Oh, and a very big thanks to Earthling on Mars, who corrected my left/right mistake on my wiki entry. Seriously, that is the scourge of my life: I constantly get those two words mixed up, and it's downright embarrassing sometimes. I try very hard to make sure I've used the right (or left) term at the right (or left) time, but errors still happen. My brain is always thinking of the correct direction, but just doesn't translate it to the correct word sometimes. I can't explain it. Does anyone else ever have this problem? But don't judge me. I'm not crazy. I'm just a little unwell. I know that right now, you can't tell...

And to obey papal decree, I give you the record for the greatest repetition of the letter "E" by kenmelken in a single post on the OTT:
Spoiler:
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeEEEEEEEEEEEEE

btw, one of them is actually an "F"
Last edited by kenmelken on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:22 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:Ketchup!
Thanks to everyone for the kind feedback on my Wiki posts. :) I enjoy writing them and rereading the relevant discussions from all you geniuses.
Also, thanks to Vytron for managing to ressurect THREE of my posts from the past in the last NP and a half!
Oh, and a very big thanks to Earthling on Mars, who corrected my left/right mistake on my wiki entry. Seriously, that is the scourge of my life: I constantly get those two words mixed up, and it's downright embarrassing sometimes. I try very hard to make sure I've used the right (or left) term at the right (or left) time, but errors still happen. My brain is always thinking of the correct direction, but just doesn't translate it to the correct word sometimes. I can't explain it. Does anyone else ever have this problem? But don't judge me. I'm not crazy. I'm just a little unwell. I know that right now, you can't tell...

And to obey papal decree, I give you the record for the greatest repetition of the letter "E" by kenmelken in a single post on the OTT:
Spoiler:
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

You could use North South East West, or Backward and Forward (since they are always moving right)?

Also, your post makes completing the papal decree easy for me, please not the one E I have appended to the list. Your record has been broken sir! But worry not, you still broke a record on this page, I can't take that away from you without a time machine... which I have... all I have to do is go back and edit one of my prior posts and... :twisted:
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:23 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:

Spoiler:

I was trying to google "squirpy" until it dawned on me that there might be more suitable words to type into heretical search engines. I've been here too long...

ETA for papal decree: this post possibly holds the record for largest undertaking suggested in this thread.

The search engine would just require a mapping between OTT words and regular english ones. Then you just translate and return google results. So, no, sorry I think there have been larger undertakings suggested. Compiling a list of those itself would probably be a larger undertaking.

I'll give you most overestimated effort for a suggested undertaking though... :)

Edit: Hmm. I wonder am I obligated to obey my own decree?

In that case, I claim the record for the most implicitly self-referential statement of the OTT.
Last edited by Kieryn on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:33 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Image- Kieryn

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:29 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
You could use North South East West, or Backward and Forward (since they are always moving right)?

Also, your post makes completing the papal decree easy for me, please not the one E I have appended to the list. Your record has been broken sir! But worry not, you still broke a record on this page, I can't take that away from you without a time machine... which I have... all I have to do is go back and edit one of my prior posts and... :twisted:

I have a very natural sense of direction, but words muddle things. I ALWAYS get north and south correct and can always tell where North is, no matter where I am. But using the WORDS for east and west is just as bad as right and left. I know which direction I mean, it just isn't what always comes out of my mouth. And forward and backward are nice, but don't always work in context of writing a Wiki summary. I.e. "The beesnake appeared at the backward part of the frame." Doesn't quite work. =/

Oh, and as for record-breaking, I think you need to read a bit more carefully. I made it a record that in fact could only be broken by ME... namely, that it was the longest repetition of the letter "E" BY KENMELKEN in the OTT. ;)
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:33 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeEEEEEEEEEEEEE

[Opens spoiler] Nice try.
[types] ctrl+f E, alt+a
There it is! 8-)

ETA: Broken record
Spoiler:
[~10 seconds of static]
If you want to see a broken record, just wait for it
[click] wait for it
[click] wait for it
[click] wait for it
[click] wait for it
[click] wait for it
[click] wait for it
[click] wait for it
[click] wait for it
[click] wait for it
[click] wait for it
[click] wait for it
[click] wait for it
[click] wait for it
[click] wait for it
[click] wait for it
[click] wait for it
Last edited by slinches on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:34 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Most useless animation update ever. (Squirplet still hiding.)
Spoiler:
Image Image

ETAMOQ: maybe it's running behind (or in front of) the bush, instead of through it.

I think the squirlpy's tail can be seen in frame #2341, and it's gone in frame #2342. Maybe the bush is not moving, because it hides in a shallow pit next to the roots?

Papal decree:
Spoiler:
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:39 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:

Spoiler:

The search engine would just require a mapping between OTT words and regular english ones. Then you just translate and return google results. So, no, sorry I think there have been larger undertakings suggested. Compiling a list of those itself would probably be a larger undertaking.

I'll give you most overestimated effort for a suggested undertaking though... :)

In that case, I claim the record for the most implicitly self-referential statement of the OTT.

Consider your record broken.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:40 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Most useless animation update ever. (Squirplet still hiding.)
Spoiler:
Image Image

I'll second "running behind the bush." Have you made any comparison between the size of this squirpy and the tree-squirpy that Megan tried to feed? Is this one really smaller, or just not zoomed in? (I'm not currently somewhere I can check for myself.)

kenmelken wrote:
Spoiler:

kenmelken sounds a little over-excited. Squee! (Silliest response by jjjdavidson to a record-breaking post by kenmelken.)
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:41 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:

Spoiler:

And yours.

Edit: This is reminding me of this video I watched yesterday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F7quI-MbzY
Last edited by Kieryn on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image- Kieryn

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:

Spoiler:

And yours.

Again.
Don't wait for me.
He won! He won! He won!

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:

Spoiler:

And yours.

Again.

1-up!

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:

Spoiler:

And yours.

Again.

Image- Kieryn

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:47 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:

Spoiler:

And yours.

Again.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:47 pm UTC

slinches wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:

Spoiler:

And yours.

Again.

1-up!
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:47 pm UTC

double post to explain my breaking of the least text in a post record
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:49 pm UTC

ergman wrote:double post to explain my breaking of the least text in a post record

I believe I ninja'd you.

Edit: also, that was the most exact ninja in this thread.
Last edited by taixzo on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

Sorry this got out of hand. Decree update: please continue with the decree, but try to stay relavent to the OTC.
Edit: The most 536th post by kieryn.
Last edited by Kieryn on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image- Kieryn

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:52 pm UTC

Oh, and a very big thanks to Earthling on Mars, who corrected my left/right mistake on my wiki entry. Seriously, that is the scourge of my life: I constantly get those two words mixed up, and it's downright embarrassing sometimes. I try very hard to make sure I've used the right (or left) term at the right (or left) time, but errors still happen. My brain is always thinking of the correct direction, but just doesn't translate it to the correct word sometimes. I can't explain it. Does anyone else ever have this problem? But don't judge me. I'm not crazy.

Yeah, I can't do left and right, not out loud. I know some folks that trained their wolpies the words gee and haw, to instruct them which way to turn, and they said, "To remember which is which, I say, 'Gee, that's right!'" I laughed at that, since I'd still be messed up. The wolpies do know left and right in some sense, because one is trained to walk on the left side and one on the right. (So one person can walk both, or so two people can walk together.) They aren't actually good at getting to their spots yet, but they seem to know where they are. Cardinal directions are even worse for me. 10+ years after switching coasts, and no longer living anywhere near actual ocean, I still can't shake thinking "the ocean is west" (I guess it is still true, it's just a really long way now.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ttscp

Grey Goo - An Argument for Nano

Postby ttscp » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:56 pm UTC

(Any resemblance to the OTC in the following is purely coincidental. In particular the protagonist 'He' is not Cuegan, although his adventures are similar.)

All around him was grey. All he could see, all he could smell, all he could hear, all he could feel. It felt oddly comforting, caressing his body like a cool fog.
Spoiler:
Through the fog he could dimly hear something. Wavelike, rising and falling, undulating slowly in a rhythm coincident and counterpoint to his own bodily rhythms.

He took a step forward. A sea.

He stood at the edge watching the ebb and flow of the waves for a mulititude of cycles. It seemed to him that the waves were coming closer. Was the sea rising?

He began to walk along the edge of the sea.

The sun rose and set and rose and set again. He slept and woke and walked.

He came to a river and turned inland. The sea had definitely risen, now the land slowly rose.

The sun rose and set. He slept, dreaming of potential falls, woke and continued.

Plants formed ahead of him. Small at first, along the river's edge.

He watched a creature fly over.

Bushes and trees appeared, getting larger as he walked.

He walked and slept and walked again.

Berries appeared on the bushes, sustenance. He ate them, adding another rhythm of his own to the many now in existence.

Small creatures rustled in the grass, scurrying away or following him. He entered and left a stand of giant trees and found cultivated grapes. Cultivated? By whom?

Further on other artifacts appeared. Not natural? What was natural for this grey goo world?

The going was steeper now, the land rising almost in proportion to the complexity of life he found around him.

He reached a high point and looked back. The sea was still rising.

Small creatures accompanied him. Some he saw, others he heard, and others he did not notice. He tried feeding one but it ran up a tree.

Once he was startled by a snake and fell. The snake did not appear poisonous, but the goo was getting ideas.

He then saw one flying creature feeding another smaller one. Was the goo taking those ideas from him?

Whatever was happening, the world was beautiful, and getting more so each cycle. He saw a waterfall and a flying creature with beautiful wings. He did not see the creature eaten by another as it flew.

He reached another artifact. A shelter. And at the shelter a rustling in the bushes.

There was more to see, more to do. There always is.

But the rustling in the bushes became a creature, large and dark, who leapt at him, tore at him with claws and jaws and left him bleeding.

And as he dissolved from consciousness he was welcomed back by the rising sea of grey goo, each nano - his and theirs: body and creature, artifact and bush, part and whole - bounced for joy at the adventure.

Who would have thought that sight could be so wonderful, that smell and touch and taste were some amazing, and that taste could rapture?

ETA: second story I've posted, I broke my own record.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

marchlight

Postby marchlight » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

Highest Numbered Frame So Far ONG

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:Oh, and a very big thanks to Earthling on Mars, who corrected my left/right mistake on my wiki entry. Seriously, that is the scourge of my life: I constantly get those two words mixed up, and it's downright embarrassing sometimes. I try very hard to make sure I've used the right (or left) term at the right (or left) time, but errors still happen. My brain is always thinking of the correct direction, but just doesn't translate it to the correct word sometimes. I can't explain it. Does anyone else ever have this problem? But don't judge me. I'm not crazy. I'm just a little unwell. I know that right now, you can't tell...

No, you're not the only one; don't worry. I don't have trouble with left and right, but I do with east and west... living on the east coast of the U.S.A., whenever I need to say something about east or west, I have to remind myself: "West is cowboys. East is China."

kenmelken wrote:And to obey papal decree, I give you the record for the greatest repetition of the letter "E" by kenmelken in a single post on the OTT:
Spoiler:

My eyes fell out trying to find the F. You will be hearing from my lawyer. (Just kidding, of course. About both the eyes and the lawyer.)
Oh wait, there it is!

This post holds a record for the first papal decree broken by Earthling on Mars on page 927.

Oh, and I don't believe anybody's mentioned that the OTC is now three months old. Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:
kenmelken wrote:Oh, and a very big thanks to Earthling on Mars, who corrected my left/right mistake on my wiki entry. Seriously, that is the scourge of my life: I constantly get those two words mixed up, and it's downright embarrassing sometimes. I try very hard to make sure I've used the right (or left) term at the right (or left) time, but errors still happen. My brain is always thinking of the correct direction, but just doesn't translate it to the correct word sometimes. I can't explain it. Does anyone else ever have this problem? But don't judge me. I'm not crazy. I'm just a little unwell. I know that right now, you can't tell...

No, you're not the only one; don't worry. I don't have trouble with left and right, but I do with east and west... living on the east coast of the U.S.A., whenever I need to say something about east or west, I have to remind myself: "West is cowboys. East is China."

Even from the east coast of the US, China is still, well, west.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

MajorDouble7

Postby MajorDouble7 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:31 pm UTC

Lurking since Day One.

Thank you and carry on.

/humblegreeting
[ResumeLurk]

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:32 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:Oh, and I don't believe anybody's mentioned that the OTC is now three months old. Image

Happy birthday, dear OTC, happy birthday to you!

Last edited by mscha on Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Rule110

Need some help with songs in the Wiki

Postby Rule110 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:33 pm UTC

Hi folks,

I've been trying for days to get the song list in the Time Wiki up to date. The problem is, my edits seem to hang up when the page says "publishing your edit..."; the page never moves on from there and the edits don't appear if I return to the wiki page later. I added dozens of songs earlier, using the same computer, browser, etc. but now it's not working.

So, can someone else try? Here are the edits that appear to be needed (in Source Mode) to give a dozen missing songs a home.

- Taixzo's "The Music that we Write" and yappobiscuits' "Putting on the Blitz" are currently in the table but out of sequence. The insertions below will insert them in the correct places, but the old entries will then also need to be removed.

- the following entries belong BETWEEN Paranoid Newpixbot and Zombie in my Fridge:

Code: Select all

|[http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3383660#p3383660]||When Are We Finally Going Home?||rvloon|||| style="text-align:center;"|"Wanneer gaan we weer nou naar huis?" - Theo Nijland
|-
|[http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3383727#p3383727]||"I made this half-molpy..."||BlitzGirl|||| style="text-align:center;"|"Skullcrusher Mountain" - Jonathan Coulton
|-
|[http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3383796#p3383796]||In Memoriam||jjjdavidson|||| style="text-align:center;"|"Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground" - Willie Nelson
|-
|[http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3383992#p3383992]||Buzz Along||yappobiscuits|||| style="text-align:center;"|"Storm Along" - Wilderun
|-
|[http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3384654#p3384654]||"Semencoffeecancerbacon..."||jovialbard|||| style="text-align:center;"|"Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" - from Mary Poppins
|-
|[http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3384768#p3384768]||My Favorite Things||BlitzGirl|||| style="text-align:center;"|"My Favorite Things" - from The Sound of Music
|-
|[http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3384801#p3384801]||The Lone Sandcastle||BlitzGirl|||| style="text-align:center;"|"The Lonely Goatherd" - from The Sound of Music
|-
|[http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3384983#p3384983]||I'll Wait For It||ZoomanSP|||| style="text-align:center;"|"Faith of the Heart" - theme from Star Trek: Enterprise
|-
|[http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3384987#p3384987]||Small-Big-Neat||Rule110|||| style="text-align:center;"|"Do-Re-Mi" - from The Sound of Music
|-
|[http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3385647#p3385647]||The Music That We Write||taixzo|||| style="text-align:center;"|"Music of the Night" - from The Phantom of the Opera
|-
|[http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3386092#p3386092]||Climb Ev'ry Mountain||BlitzGirl|||| style="text-align:center;"|"Climb Ev'ry Mountain" - from The Sound of Music
|-

-The following entries go BETWEEN Zombie in my Fridge and Ode to an EdgeMolpy:

Code: Select all

|[http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3386164#p3386164]||"G-L-R, We wait for it..."||rvloon|||| style="text-align:center;"|"Bring Him Home" - from Les Miserables
|-
|[http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3386167#p3386167]||"I'm Waiting in my pants..."||rvloon|||| style="text-align:center;"|"Singin' in the Rain" - from Singin' in the Rain
|-
|[http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3386211#p3386211]||Putting on the Blitz||yappobiscuits||yappobiscuits||[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFr5Wu30ClM yappobiscuits]|| style="text-align:center;"|"Puttin' On the Rlitz" - Irving Berlin
|-

Thanks in advance!

This post sets a record for the largest amount of wiki table source text in a post so far.
Last edited by Rule110 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:38 pm UTC

Today I beat my personal record for number of days lived. Also, just now I beat my personal record for number of breaths taken.

Number of keystrokes performed has been shattered many times today as well.

I am on fire!1

1Number of days without spontaneously combusting is also broken.

GerardE

Postby GerardE » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:43 pm UTC

Just to revisit the discussion on east and west: isn't China north from the USA?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1d/PolarRoute.png
This sets my personal record in Time for posting while I should be making dinner.
Wait for IT. Business always complaining.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:44 pm UTC

Rule110:
Ooh... that's a reminder that I was gone for a few dips when "Zombie in my Fridge" was created (by Eternal Density, I think?) and had to speed-ketchup and never commented on it. Ironically, it was inspired by my own relocation of a zombie to BlitzGirl's fridge, and is a ottificatiparodyfilk of the closer from my favorite game (plants vs. zombies)! So... here is my belated commentary that it was absolutely awesome! AND... the upcoming sequel to PvZ is called... "Plant's Vs. Zombies 2: It's about TIME." IT'S ALL RELATED!

Record: My first reminder on this newpage of the special code I posted a few NewPages back that still nobody has solved. Has anyone been trying? Anybody frustrated and need a hint?

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:46 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Have you made any comparison between the size of this squirpy and the tree-squirpy that Megan tried to feed? Is this one really smaller, or just not zoomed in?

Good point. I forgot that most of the squirpy adventures so far had been zoomed in.

Very similar size.

(This is definitely a record for most similarly sized squirpies in the OTC.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Edit: And the obligatory papal decree: With your post, break a record... any record...

You know that scene in "The Bandwagon" ? :lol:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:57 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:So, can someone else try? Here are the edits that appear to be needed (in Source Mode) to give a dozen missing songs a home.
I did the update, but now the numbers are wrong. The links point to the right places though. Fixed. And wow, that's a lotta songs!

GerardE wrote:Just to revisit the discussion on east and west: isn't China north from the USA?
Nope. You have to go South too.

Jose
Last edited by ucim on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:05 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:Welcome back, Latent22! It's been a busy month; feel free to skim, skip, scan, or other speed-reading technique starting with a sk- sound.

Fine; you asked for it. Since this is the page of codes, here is my my-code-was-compiling (not really; I have no code left to write :( ) creation:
Great S-C(OTT)
to the tune of 'S-N (Snore, Sniff and Sneeze)' by Tom Lehrer
Spoiler:
Like a molpy loves its prey
Like a girl loves a beret
Like fading loves grey
I love to do things that begin with S-K
For example:

I love to skip
Saved me a wip!
I like to sketch a
Précis of the thread
Helps me to ketchup
before I get dead
But I don't have time to manip
So I skip

I love to skim
Just on a whim
I also like Sciscitor
sounds good to me
Sciscit or 'biscuits
Yes, I love S-C
But there's no S-C-H schism
If I skim
And skip

I love to scan
I'll read what I can
I like to scroll
on my handheld device
Get straight to the goal
Then post scads of advice
Sometimes I scare kids on 4chan
Then scan
And skim
And skip

Sometimes I blitz like a schizo(-TT!)
Or skimp on a skein that sounds scatty to me
And whenever I have a few Skittles to spend
I can scupper a skyter or scoop on a friend!
But those skills are all just the tip
I love to scan and to skim and to skip

Your ottification-post timing is lousy – again, it was a Time of great OTC excitement (albeit brief)...
But it is a ⁴ one! Image
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

CameronCat

Miscellany

Postby CameronCat » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

Some random ketchup notes:

Thanks SBN for the kind words. And also,

SBN said
Yeah, I can't do left and right, not out loud..

Heh. You're not alone. Without a long story, many MANY years ago a friend and I competed in car rallies. I drove, he navigated**. Even with printed route sheets ("Turn Right at red barn...") he couldn't keep it sorted and would occasionally say "left" when the routes read "right." Not good for staying on the course. But for reasons unknown, he could parse it another way; he had no trouble calling "my side" or "your side" based on what he read. Worked like a charm, and we won a lot of events.
** Navigation was time-speed-distance calcs, which he did with a 28" slide rule because the then-new handheld calculators weren't allowed in our competition class. Yeah, it was that long ago.

Re: that long ago...come back CharlieGrumbles. We need more old guys here. (Yeah, you kids can play on my lawn but don't touch the cars! I mean it.)

Re: Edfel...who I believe has returned after defending his doctorate. Yes? If so, congrats and cupcakes to you, Doctor. I believe the congregation permits you to wear your sash in the Tabernacle. (Tried to post a cupcakepix but failed miserably. Any hints?)

Re: a polite, whispered request that a certain somebody [*cough*Ergman*cough*] should please check their sig regarding list newcomers. It has set a record (do you see what I did there?) for the longest running unremarked spelling error and it's driving the slightly anal copyeditor in me NUTS! Thank you.

Back to you in the studio.
Last edited by CameronCat on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Apprentice Curmudgeon by appointment to the Order of the Holy Contradiction
Knight Luminary and Second Prelate of the Proscenium
It's all related

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

CHILLYONG
ETA: donnathebuffalo
Last edited by spamjam on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:09 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:Have you made any comparison between the size of this squirpy and the tree-squirpy that Megan tried to feed? Is this one really smaller, or just not zoomed in?

Good point. I forgot that most of the squirpy adventures so far had been zoomed in.
Very similar size.

(This is definitely a record for most similarly sized squirpies in the OTC.)

Thank you! They are indeed very similar. Can we safely call them two occurrences of the same species of squirpy?

kenmelken wrote:Rule110:
Ooh... that's a reminder that I was gone for a few dips when "Zombie in my Fridge" was created (by Eternal Density, I think?) and had to speed-ketchup and never commented on it. Ironically, it was inspired by my own relocation of a zombie to BlitzGirl's fridge, and is a ottificatiparodyfilk of the closer from my favorite game (plants vs. zombies)! So... here is my belated commentary that it was absolutely awesome! AND... the upcoming sequel to PvZ is called... "Plant's Vs. Zombies 2: It's about TIME." IT'S ALL RELATED!

That reminds me. Has RAZOR been clearing your zombie relocation efforts through Project Skin Horse?

Whizbang wrote:I am on fire!1

1Number of days without spontaneously combusting is also broken.

Umm, not if you're on fire....
Spoiler:
Don't wait for me.
He won! He won! He won!

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Welcome back, Latent22! It's been a busy month; feel free to skim, skip, scan, or other speed-reading technique starting with a sk- sound.

My goodness, I totally skipped that page! Welcome back! We missed you here at Data Analysis...
Um, I guess you are no longer latent?
Image- Kieryn

Zorin_75

Re: Need some help with songs in the Wiki

Postby Zorin_75 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:So, can someone else try? Here are the edits that appear to be needed (in Source Mode) to give a dozen missing songs a home.

Done.
Would be easier to just replace the whole source code. I think I've just set a new record for number of times to consecutively eff up a wiki edit :P (so you might also want to double check what I've done...).
Go Minim go!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”